Semoball

Other College Sports Discussion: Why is Ben Hansbrough not getting the same hype as Tyler?

Posted by Luke11 on Fri, Mar 11, 2011, at 12:03 PM:

Not that I'm a big basketball fan, or even a big Ben Hansbrough fan but it seems that Ben is having an outstanding season and there is nowhere near the hoopla from the locals that there was whenever Tyler was tearing it up at North Carolina. Player of the Year in the Big East seems like a pretty big deal to me. Am I just missing something or is Ben getting the short end of the stick when it comes to the hype? Why do you think this is?

Replies (9)

• In my opinion, Tyler had 4 successful seasons at North Carolina. He was the go to player. Ben has been a good player over 4 years; however, this is the only year where i believe Ben has taken over games. Tyler did it for fours. That is why i believe their was more hype with tyler, then his brother Ben. Not taking anything away from ben.Both are and were really good players.

-- Posted by baseballfanatic1000 on Fri, Mar 11, 2011, at 12:43 PM
  • Tyler has a national title at UNC and is the all-time leading scorer in ACC history..

-- Posted by sm0723 on Fri, Mar 11, 2011, at 4:44 PM
  • Tyler was just a more dominant force over his career. I think ben is excelling this year because he finally found the right fit as far as competition and team style. Both are outstanding players.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Fri, Mar 11, 2011, at 8:01 PM

Both are outstanding players. Ben will have more opportunities in the nba because he is more versatile

-- Posted by mz259 on Sat, Mar 12, 2011, at 1:47 PM
  • Ben will NOT have more opportunities in the NBA. Not sure how anyone can say that. Tyler is now a starter on an NBA team. He's averaging 10 points and 5 rebounds and 19 and 9 over his past 6 games. Not many can say that.

Ben hasnt even made the NBA yet. I hope he does but even if he does he wont be a starter. He will be a 3 point shooter off the bench. He's not projected to get drafted may may end up a late draft pick or sign as a free agent.

-- Posted by FreyGuys on Sat, Mar 12, 2011, at 8:30 PM
  • From yahoo:

Tyler Hansbrough scored 20 points on 7-of-15 shooting to give him three straight games of at least 20 points.

Hansbrough made his second straight start at power forward Friday and put up 20 points (7-15 FG, 6-8 FT), seven rebounds, an assist, and two steals in a team-high 38 minutes.

Recommendation: Hansbrough has scored in double-digits for eight straight games and is primed to help teams for the fantasy playoffs

-- Posted by FreyGuys on Sat, Mar 12, 2011, at 8:34 PM
  • Remember when all the people that know everything about basketball said he would never play in the NBA?

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Sat, Mar 12, 2011, at 8:54 PM
  • I thought it was because most people in SE Missouri hate all teams named Notre Dame (high school or college).

-- Posted by robbincrosby on Sat, Mar 12, 2011, at 11:22 PM

Because Tyler was probably the best highschool basketball players there has been! He is also one of the best College players to ever step on the court! Not saying there arent better players, but at the level he was he was by far the best! No one went to watch the games, they went to watch Tyler play! Ben was just an accent to Tyler in highschool. College; Ben made a huge mistake and went to Mississippi St. and saw very little success. Now if Ben would have played at Notre Dame all 4 years (more than likly would have sat the bench, until his Junior and Senior year, he would have seen 10 minutes a game). Ben did not have any record breaking seasons, he wasnt "the player" to take the team to a national title game each year he played! Ben had a pretty good chance to be player of the year, but his team blew it! If he would have made a run deep in the Big East tourney and even in the "the dance" he would have likely been drafted, now he is going to have to get signed as a free agent or go over seas! basically the reason is, Ben wasnt expected to go pro after each season he played! He just hasnt had near the success as tyler has, even though he is a good player!

-- Posted by all-state peewee on Fri, Mar 25, 2011, at 1:52 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: