Semoball

Other College Sports Discussion: DGB

Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 10:47 AM:

Just wondering what everyones opinion is on whether Pinkel needs to remove him from team or not. Haith removed Price without blinking in an assault case. DGB apparently assaulted two women who decided not to press charges. I bet Pinkel is not a happy camper at this point. DGB appears to be a very troubled individual and im sure everyone hopes he turns his life around. Its always tough to know how many chances ur supposed to give in a case like this. Has DGB used up all his chances? Tough call.

Replies (69)

• Not saying this is right, but big difference between Dorial and Price. Dorial is one of the best, if not the best, receivers in the country coming into the season this fall. Price was a kid with a career average of 1.1 points per game at Louisville and had never even stepped on the court in a Missouri uniform.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 1:14 PM

I think the difference is that there is clear evidence of the assault and victims willing to press charges in the Price case and neither of those are clear in the DGB incident. It's a very troubling situation with DGB and my core morals says he probably isn't worth this hassle and the fact that he stormed into a stranger's house to grab his gf is a big red flag of character. But the rational side of brain feels that there is so much ambiguity within the situation and how the women ended falling down those stairs that make me think it to easy to jump to conclusions on this subject. The weed( it's not hard substances) doesn't really bother me at all.

Point is he is suspended and he is now seeking counseling and his father is involved with Dorial directly. I think if he shows progress and stays away from the college nightlife than you reinstate him but he is on a zero tolerance policy at this point.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 1:30 PM
  • I agree with the evidence not being enough with DGB with the assault charges but if it does come out he done this than i don't care how good he is he should be gone.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 2:10 PM

Well I mean cards are on the table so nothing new will come out. There are several versions of the events according to the pertinent participants and witnesses. The police have a version of events that they could pursue but the victim won't press charges so it's over from a legal standpoint. What Alden and Pinkel decide is a different matter all together.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 2:18 PM

DGB has just been dismissed.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 3:10 PM
  • -- Posted by sm0723 on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 3:24 PM

By these standards I'm shocked that Jameis Winston is still playing football at a D1 big 5 conference school and DGB isn't. Not saying either decision is right or wrong but there was definitely a choice in this matter

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 3:44 PM
  • http://www.ky3.com/news/local/columbia-police-no-charges-against-dgb/21048998_25...

If there is any validity to the last paragraph about coaches getting involved to help persuade the decision to not press charges then the entire football staff could be under investigation.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 4:24 PM

I don't know how many girls at the university have direct contact to college coaches or the staff at all. So it's hard for me to believe that Pinkel sent a GA to DGB to tell his gf to tell the other victim not to press charges for DGB's sake. I have never believed that and I would like to see some hard evidence of it. Because text messages aren't exactly gospel. Not mad at you Smo because it's a deserved question but that's my opinion of it.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 4:28 PM
  • Oh, I am not saying whether it's true or not. I was just pointing out the situation that is being reported. I worked with GA's when I attended college and helped out with the athletic program, so I know how unbelievable that really is, but yet it's still possible.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 4:31 PM

Oh I'm sure that happens some places to an extent or that info gets conveyed through other means but I just don't see Pinkel doing it. It's not his MO. His MO is that any time women are involved to suspend early and if there is even a good chance they was wrong doing dismiss them( a la Derrick Washington). But it's a good point I just don't buy it. Especially after the girlfriend starting flopping around on her stories.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 4:43 PM

Alden said Dorial Green-Beckham will not be an athlete at Mizzou and won't have the opportunity in the future.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 4:48 PM
  • Yeah, I would have to agree with you. I do feel that it's best for everyone involved that DGB was dismissed. Now he can find help if he chooses to because he is making bad decisions no matter what side of the story you are on.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 4:50 PM

I'm sure Louisville has already been in contact with him. Where are troubled individuals go to play basketball or football.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 4:58 PM

I don't think he would wait the year for any major program( I know your joking) but he will end up somewhere in a D2 school and go to the NFL. SEMO might be a landing spot or another school in southern Missouri.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 5:00 PM

Absolutely agree. You don't have to sit out a year if you go to a FCS school do you!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 5:03 PM

Huge blow biggest recruit mizzou lands in years doesn't make it to his jr year...

I'm sure he was in the wrong, acted out of rage, and the parties involved probably did the right thing at first but after realized how big of a deal it was.

Just imagine how often this happens with big name players and the other party just holds their tongue because who it is.

I just can't fathom having almost a guaranteed tens of million of dollars just waiting on me from my god given talents and continually making actions to jeopardize that.

I'd like to just say that it makes me personally proud of a person like kony, he proved he's a big time player but he was not a house hold name coming out of hs. He put in the hard work did the right things and as of now is a more sought after commodity.

PR reasons yeah dgb needed to go, and maybe he'll be an example and stop this seemingly reoccurring problem, since "the man" wasn't too good to keep doing as he pleased.

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 5:05 PM

Yeah I'm really proud of Kony and glad he didn't get caught up with some of these guys.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 5:09 PM
  • I also think they had no choice, DGB gave them no choice. Maybe this will lead to better behavior from the remaining athletes or better screening of recruits' character. In a perfect world it would but who knows? Leaves a nasty taste, as a zou alum, in my mouth.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 5:41 PM

Kony is a nice story but to my knowledge he doesn't have the same background as DGB. There is a reason DGB has two last names. I think he and his brother were basically abandoned by their parents, kicked around the foster system before the Beckham's adopted them. It's no excuse but it's hard for any kids in that situation but especially ones with huge responsibilities that come with being a star and the only constant in life having cancer.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 6:33 PM

I'm not questioning his home life I was simply stating that before mizzou way more people knew of dgbs talent rather than kony's.

I was talking about the situation with someone a few decades older and he was saying how much of a bad person he thought dgb must be and I found myself defending his actions.

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Sat, Apr 12, 2014, at 3:02 AM
  • Its a shame the kid wasn't smart enough to stay out of trouble.

-- Posted by hb1025 on Sat, Apr 12, 2014, at 9:42 AM

When the police questioned DGG's gf she indicated that didn't remember sending that text about the coaches saying it was serius lol

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Sat, Apr 12, 2014, at 1:11 PM

Yeah who knows what she or DGB were thinking. She also can't "remember" whether or not she was drug out by the neck by DGB or he just walked her out. Maybe that's true but who knows.

-- Posted by Bunk on Sat, Apr 12, 2014, at 1:13 PM

Haha yup I agree Bunk

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Sat, Apr 12, 2014, at 8:17 PM
  • Ultimately it's up to DGB what decisions he makes and he's paying a price. However, I always wonder what role coaches play in communicating with and observing these young men they are partially responsible for helping to develop into adults. I do hope the university and coaches don't wash their hands of him just because he's no longer in the program. These kids who burn bright and flame out shouldn't be tossed to the side. They can spiral out of control and do a lot more harm to themselves and others if not helped. It's both frustrating and sad.

-- Posted by Grussman on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 10:52 AM
  • I don't think you toss a kid aside either but if they don't learn a lesson after a couple of chances then you don't have a choice. They have to want to help themselves before anyone else can.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 11:50 AM
  • Well said BIG. There is help at mizzou IF he wants it.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 12:05 PM

Well his father has already announced he is going to rehab and Pinkel and Alden have stated that they will help out with that anyway possible. I do think this brings up an interesting issue about most college campuses and particular Mizzou. There is a lot of kids, particularly athletes, but in the general school population that are developing some seriously bad drinking habits or a full blown problem that under 21. Now this a problem at a lot of schools but you have prominent examples in DGB and once those kids grow older in Aldon Smith. There needs to be more of an effort in that department I think campus wide.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 12:56 PM
  • Yah hate to bring up more bad news but Aldon Smiths in trouble again, made an airport bomb threat cuz he got mad they were randomly searching him.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 1:10 PM

I heard about that. That is just crazy. Yeah he said he had a bomb. That is so not something to joke about, I just can't wrap my head around that one.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 1:23 PM

Maybe Smith relapsed with his addictions.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 1:27 PM
  • Again just a case of acting without thinking, we all do it but when ur in the spotlite it get magnified a hundredfold. Ya gotta hope these troubled athletes can turn it around and live productive lives and make good choices.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 1:29 PM

I am going to say with the way Florida St. has handled things, it makes you respect the Mizzou staff and admire the things Pinkel and Haith have done. We might hate on both of them, but all these situations could easily be front page of SI.com, but they have nipped them in bud very quickly.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Apr 16, 2014, at 5:06 PM

Buck I read an article on NyTimes today about the Jameis Winston rape accusation or whatever you want to call it. And it kindve disgusted me. I'll start off by saying I'm not a fan or a hater of him, I don't watch fsu, but the article contradicted itself a few times and they made it sorta seem like it's winstons fault that the cops did or didn't do a reliable job on the investigation. The state attorney found it to not be a strong enough case to take him to trial so it's not like it was just brushed under the rug. It's like since he was accused he is automatically guilty when it's clearly your innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. I've never seen the media with the headline John doe was proven guilty but here's such and such reason why he's innocent. It just sorta got to me that even after it was national headlines and was brought to attention they still decided to not pursue charges. Just sorta got to me to keep slamming the guy when his day came and everyone knew about it. But I agree mizzou took the high road on all their situations and whatever comes out of this season no one will be able to say well they choose football over what's right.

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 12:43 AM

The biggest problem with the Winston case is that the girl in question went to the police within two days of the incident and the police persuaded her not to push or press charges because they didn't want anything to happen to her because she was accusing a football player.

The state attorney could not pursue the matter AFTER 9 FRIGGIN MONTHS because all of the physical evidence that should have been collected at the time the incident was reported wasn't there because the cops didn't take any. All the eye witness statements that needed to be taken got less accurate with time because they were not taken.

If the police had done their job than that investigation would have happened then and we would all have a clearer picture of what happened and whether or not he is guilty. At best the Tallahasse PD is bad at police work or at worst they are corrupt and put football over people.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 12:56 AM

Yeah this whole situation was a crazy deal. And 9 months is crazy. They won the national championship in less time than that. That's a good point FPC, and something to hang your hat on, we won't be able to say Mizzou didn't do whats right. Thats something to be proud of at least.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 8:52 AM

I'd rather do things right and lose than do things like FSU did and win.

The NY Times had an excellent article written about the police work in the Winston case.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/16/sports/errors-in-inquiry-on-rape-a...

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 9:41 AM

Whatever happened it just all doesn't add up to me, by no means am I saying she lied or made it all up, but she insinuated she was drugged and the tox screen came back negative. I do think they should have acted on it sooner but the she didn't know who it was till his name was called in class kinda threw me off too.

Even though you've been accused of a crime it doesn't mean your guilty. And this specific crime happens way too many times in colleges across the nation. I just hope they honestly wouldn't cover up a crime of this degree for a football player.

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 1:37 PM

When most police agency's would love to bust a player of his stature for any crime

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 1:38 PM

There wouldn't be any questions if the police had pursued the matter further. I'm not saying he did or didn't do anything but I'm not gonna be his biggest fan either. The main point in comparing it the DGB case is that if the police and social media hadn't noted the incident and then investigated it and it comes out in December than any bruises or scraps that could be considered physical evidence would have healed and he walks away scott free( he is still in the legal sense). At FSU they didn't do that. They leaned on an inept police department's work and the state attorney's decision instead of at least suspending Winston. Mizzou and the Columbia police did the right thing and did their jobs which is what puts the Winston case in stark contrast.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 1:44 PM

Yeah and when they finally did decide to bring it to the light what we're they like 8-0? The fans would have been livid, and brings up a point that the girl from mizzou said where she honestly felt the back lash from the Columbia area would have been too much for her to handle and that doesn't set well with me. She didn't ask for that to happen to her and it just bewilders me people take it out on the victim for doing the right thing. It's a crazy time we live in

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 1:54 PM

Yeah by no means am I defending him I just thought that article kinda left me feeling more confused about the situation then I was before I read it.

And the incidents with the basketball teams just a week or so before didn't help either, two domestic violence type charges in a matter of weeks is not good for a university of Mizzou's caliber.

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Thu, Apr 17, 2014, at 1:56 PM

Looks like Green-Beckham is headed to Eastern Illinois along with UK's QB Jalen Whitlow. RIP to SEMO's secondary...

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 4:44 PM
  • That's a helluva QB/WR combo for a FCS team.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 4:56 PM
  • Merry Christmas, EIU coach!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 5:00 PM

Yeah very true on both of those!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 5:43 PM
  • Only if DGB can stay eligible though. That remains to be seen.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 10:28 PM

Looks like DGB might sit out the 2014 season and enter the 2015 Draft.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, May 27, 2014, at 1:22 PM
  • No way!! Whats the scoop?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, May 27, 2014, at 6:36 PM

Looks like DGB is on the Oklahoma campus this morning meeting with the coaches.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jul 3, 2014, at 9:57 AM

Yeah the skivvy is he is trying to get a waiver saying he was unjustly dismissed from Mizzou and could play this season. He wants to transfer to Oklahoma as that was his 2nd choice coming out of HS. I don't see any conceivable way he gets the waiver but if he does and he plays at OU I don't how angry I can get at sports but that this would test my limits.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Jul 3, 2014, at 10:08 AM
  • We like to think its not a business in college, but those days are gone. College football is big business and though these are still basically kids, you can throw morality issues out the window, to some extent.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Jul 3, 2014, at 11:03 AM

I'm fine with him getting a second chance but for the NCAA to endorse his claim he was unjustly dismissed would just get my craw.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Jul 3, 2014, at 11:08 AM
  • Agreed!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Jul 3, 2014, at 11:14 AM

Yeah that would be a bad deal. I've heard more grumblings that he has a real shot to get the waiver than that he doesn't get the waiver. Guess we will have to wait and see.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jul 3, 2014, at 11:16 AM

I haven't read to much speculation either way on the waiver but what would the justification be? He had three arrests in 18 months and one was an assault. If you can't justly kick someone off the team for that than we are either about to see a significant decrease in dismissals for conduct or there is a new transfer boom about to take place in CFB.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Jul 3, 2014, at 11:31 AM
  • I think he could get a waiver. Mizzou had the option to keep him and not even suspend him. Therefore the NCAA wl probably say he should be able to at right away because he could have played immediately at Mizzou still.

-- Posted by gettinweird on Thu, Jul 3, 2014, at 1:16 PM

I have heard that as a theory. Also I've heard, and it's not really justification, it's that some are making the case that the mear fact of him even looking at schools implies that he thinks he can get a waiver. He was pretty adamant about sitting out a year, and that story had good weight to it. If he goes to OU he has to sit out a year, so it's practically the same thing. UNLESS, someone somewhere knows that he can get a waiver and that is why he is visiting and meeting with coaches. So thats some of what I heard, they are more hung up on him even looking and visiting OU and that that is a sign he will get a waiver. Who knows if that holds up.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jul 3, 2014, at 1:32 PM

Well it's officially he is going to go there. If he gets that waiver I'm going drive to the NCAA headquarters and be a one man riot.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Jul 3, 2014, at 1:43 PM

Yep looks like Stoops is even saying its official. They must feel pretty confident!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jul 3, 2014, at 1:44 PM
  • Pretty cool anyone can assault women these days, leave campus, and just go play somewhere else. Whatta great lesson learned. This country is headn down the same path as every great nation in the past. Loss of family structure, loss of personal morals, and bye bye standing for anything that takes a spine. But it is biblical. Sickening, but biblical.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Jul 3, 2014, at 2:07 PM
  • I meant go play elsewhere with no penalty.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Jul 3, 2014, at 2:08 PM
  • I think everyone deserves a second chance also but this PUNK got busted 3 times. Why would anybody give this thug another chance.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Jul 4, 2014, at 11:18 AM
  • I hope he turns his life around. But he needs to hafta sit out a year like everyone else would. Remember when punishment used to actually be used as an effective means of dealing with life issues?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Jul 4, 2014, at 11:41 AM

Yeah I don't judge him to harshly because I don't know what happened but it does stand to reason that he should have to own up for his persistent limit pushing and questionable behavior. Letting him play when he is in the face of serious consequences for the first time in his life so getting the waiver is bad for DGB, OU, Mizzou, and NCAA. No one looks good going forward.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Jul 4, 2014, at 12:07 PM

The scandals that plagued the Southwestern Conf. in the 1970s and 1980s and then the UofMiami in the 90s proved football is big business. Student Athletes is an oxymoron.

I wanted him to get the help he obviously needs to better his life. Getting a waiver is not the help I was talking about. Hopefully the NCAA doesn't break but we all know how cowardly the NCAA is.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Sat, Jul 5, 2014, at 1:52 PM
  • Agreed mr dump.

So whatta we all think? Is this gonna leave an unreplaceable huge hole in the zou offense? DGB was a freaky good WR, i hope it doesnt affect us drastically.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Jul 7, 2014, at 1:23 PM
  • I will certainly affect the offense some. You don't lose the #1 prospect in the country and it not have some negative impact on the field, but how much remains to be seen. But he is still just one player and I am sure Pinkel and Co. will find many good athletes to plug that hole. Go Tigers!

Also, I agree it would be a travesty of justice for the NCAA to give DGB a waiver. But I am sure there is plenty of rejoicing at SEMO that they don't have to cover him this season!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jul 7, 2014, at 2:18 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: