Semoball

Other College Sports Discussion: College Basketball Recruiting/Grab Bag

Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Sep 11, 2014, at 9:34 AM:

The other one was getting long, and with the fall recruiting period just starting there will be a lot more info and several more people commiting in the next few weeks if I had to guess. College visits and in-home visits are also in full swing. Here are the last few post of the other thread.

Jayson Tatum said SLU, Mizzou, and Kentucky are coming to visit him tomorrow.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Sep 8, 2014, at 7:04 PM

Mizzou will do an inhome visit with Thomas Bryant at Midnight. (If you haven't figured out, the fall recruiting period starts tomorrow).

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Sep 8, 2014, at 10:50 PM

Coach Cal's in-home visit schedule:

Today he visited Malik Newman and Jaylen Brown (I would guess these two are his top targets)

September 11th : Brandon Ingram

September 12th: Charles Matthews (already committed)

September 13th: Stephen Zimmerman

September 17th: Carlton Bragg

September 18th: Isaiah Briscoe

Somebody from UK watched Thon Maker at Athletes Institute today.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Sep 9, 2014, at 9:35 PM

It was UK assistant 'Slice' Rohrssen how was at Athlete Institute today.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Sep 9, 2014, at 9:39 PM

Mizzou will have an in-home visit with Caleb Swingman tomorrow.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Sep 9, 2014, at 10:37 PM

Replies (398)

No. 22 in the Class of 2015 Jalen Brunson just committed to Villanova.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Sep 11, 2014, at 9:34 AM

Home visits today:

Jaylen Brown(UCLA)

Stephen Zimmerman (UNC)

Brandon Ingram (UK)

Carlton Bragg (KU)

Cheick Diallo (KU, Iowa St.)

Markis McDuffie (BC)

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Sep 11, 2014, at 10:04 AM

As well as Brandon Ingram, Coach Cal will also have in-home visit's with Henry Ellenson (No.4) and Caleb Swanigan (No. 12) today. Ellenson is down to UK, Mich. St.,and Marquette with Marquette seen as the heavy favorite. (Ellenson's older brother recently transfered to Marquette). Cal might also meet with our only 2015 commit today, Charles Matthews (No. 43)

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Sep 11, 2014, at 10:26 AM

Kentucky assistant John Robic will be in Bentonville Ark today to see No. 4 in 2016 class Malik Monk.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Sep 11, 2014, at 10:51 AM

Mizzou will be visiting one of the top Junior college prospects today 2015 PG Dequon Miller.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Sep 11, 2014, at 10:54 AM

I'm not sure if this has been previously reported but Mizzou also visited Thon Maker, any player of note at Hunnington Prep when they went to see Bryant, and 5 star G Isiah Briscoe.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Sep 11, 2014, at 12:12 PM

Ah I hadn't heard about the Briscoe one, that would be a great pick up! I think UK is visiting with him soon.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Sep 11, 2014, at 12:33 PM

Twitter cracks me up sometimes with recruits.

Jaylen Brown #2 in 2015 tweeted that his home visits with UK, went well. Then he tweeted that his visit with Kansas went well. The wording was almost exactly the same expect he put #BBN and #RockChalk at the end of the appropriate tweets. The Kentucky tweet has 207 retweets and the Kansas one has 9. UK fans are crazy haha.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Sep 11, 2014, at 12:42 PM

Yeah Anderson has the staff searching for a high level guard or two to play with what I think will be Thomas Bryant. I think he goes to Mizzou barring Syracuse mucking it up.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Sep 11, 2014, at 12:44 PM

2016 Memphis commit Dedric Lawson reclassifying to 2015. Trying to get with Dad aka assistant coach early I guess.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Sep 11, 2014, at 2:08 PM

Dedric's brother is No. 41 in 2015 class, and already commuted to Memphis as well. Dedric was No.9 in 2016.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Sep 11, 2014, at 2:12 PM
  • My sources say that Cullen VanLeer from Pacific MO has committed to Mizzou. He is a scoring machine in HS. 6-4 guard.

What has anyone heard about that?

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Thu, Sep 11, 2014, at 9:54 PM

Happened last weekend I believe

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Sep 11, 2014, at 11:23 PM

Yes that's correct JTF1000, I heard that he did verbally commit to Mizzou. He is a 3 star and a nice pick up for Mizzou. I believe he was injured for the AAU season in between his sophomore and junior year and didn't get to play. So that set him back a bit rankings wise. I know he was on an unofficial visit a couple weeks ago and Anderson told him there were a few guys ahead if him. You'd have to think those guys were Whitt and Blackney. Van Leer got offered the scholarship a day after Blackney surprisingly committed to Louisville.

I believe Mizzou has 1 scholarship left, and frankly they could use a flashy recruit, and a big man. So Thomas Bryant and Caleb Swanigan and both big time big men and I bet Mizzou stays on them very hard the next few weeks, with Bryant the most likely to pick Mizzou in my opinion.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Sep 11, 2014, at 11:29 PM

Yep Bunk, 5 or 6 days ago.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Sep 11, 2014, at 11:30 PM

Anyone familiar with Mizzou basketball these past few seasons knows that there is no such thing as a scholarship limit to slow Mizzou recruiting. You either produce or you get asked to transfer or you go to jail and get booted. If Mizzou needs 1-2 more scholarships they will take the commits figure it out later

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Sep 12, 2014, at 7:21 AM

Or go to jail haha, nice touch lol.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Sep 12, 2014, at 8:07 AM

UK assistant Slice Rohrssen visiting 2016 No.16 player Tyus Battle.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Sep 12, 2014, at 1:08 PM

UCLA freshman Jonah Bolden will not play this season after being deemed a partial qualifier. Huge blow for UCLA.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Sep 12, 2014, at 1:30 PM

Scout's Updated 2016 Player Rankings Top 10:

1. Jayson Tatum

2. Harry Giles

3. Josh Jackson

4. Thon Maker

5. Malik Monk

6. Derryck Thornton

7. Dennis Smith Jr

8. Kobi Simmons

9. Tyus Battle

10. Terrance Ferguson

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Sep 12, 2014, at 1:32 PM

Looks like Mizzou had a good visit with Briscoe last week. They will meet with him again this week. Based on that meeting he will decide if we wants to take an official to Mizzou.

He will also meet with Coach Cal this week.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Sep 14, 2014, at 9:23 PM

Briscoe will be visiting on Oct.10th. That is the same weekend Bryant is visiting and Blankney was supposed to visit. That is the weekend of the Georgia v Mizzou football game so CoMo should be wild and rocking.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Sep 15, 2014, at 10:23 AM

WOW! Five star SG Antonio Blakeney has informed ESPN that he has reopened his recruiting. Just committed 11 days ago. Must not have wanted to play professionally in Greece or Turkey after college.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Sep 15, 2014, at 9:13 PM

I think UK will definitely still stay involved.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Sep 15, 2014, at 9:16 PM

I find it interesting that Malik Newman and Blackney had a lengthy phone conversation yesterday. Really the only team that they are both considering is UK. Potential package deal!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Sep 15, 2014, at 9:48 PM

It's a possibility but I wouldn't count LSU and Mizzou either as he really showed interest to both schools before committing. This may be a case of wanting some more "attention" from schools after seeing the buzz explode this last week. I also think he may have realized he can't actually play with Donovan Mitchell the way he thought he could after that basketball camp last month.

Just get him to campus on Oct. 10th Mizzou! Convince him, Bryant, and Briscoe they can play together and build a program from the ground up at Mizzou.

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Sep 16, 2014, at 8:20 AM

Yeah defenatily it should shape up to be a UK, Miz, LSU race. I think he even had a visit to LSU scheduled at one time. We will see if UK and Mizzou can get a visit.

I heard, how true it is I don't know, that there might be a shoe company problem with him. Louisville is an Adidas school, and Blackney has played on the Nike circut his whole life. From the report I heard, it wasn't that he didn't want to play in Addidas, but something about a potential shoe deal that he would get after college. Who know's what goes on behind the seens of schools with these shoe companies. I've always heard rumors that Pitino can pretty much promise kids adidas deals when they leave Louisville. Blackney's statement said that the chose Louisville for the wrong reasons. Maybe he picked them because Pitino waved some big shoe deal in his face, and 11 days later he realized that hey I shouldn't be picking a school based off of shoes, and this probably isn't the best spot for me anyways with Mitchell already here. But that's just my speculation.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Sep 16, 2014, at 8:52 AM

Shoe Companies have a huge say in these things any recruiter will tell you that. I read a story on Blankney from Eric Bossi at rivals who when he interviewed Antonio was told this was a decision to make sure he didn't somewhere better than Louisville since Louisville is the only place he had visited.

Blankney did have a visit date set for Mizzou on Oct.10th prior to the commitment so perhaps they just go ahead with that. I'm not sure how he and Briscoe match up together on the court so there is that variable. There is a juicy Mizzou nugget about Deuce Bello completing his undergrad and transferring at the end of the year to make scholarship room that has surfaced in the past 24 hours. Also Mizzou is a Nike school which is good.

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Sep 16, 2014, at 9:08 AM

Jeff Borzello tweets that Mizzou is trying to set up a visit with Blakeney( I butcher his name every time apparently) and the kicker another 5 star for that October 10th weekend date. They would visit with Bryant and Briscoe. The other 5 star appears to be an anonymous Center from Indiana according to Brian Austin at Power Mizzou. Who fits this description Buck?

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Sep 16, 2014, at 9:28 AM

Um the only person I can think of is Caleb Swanigan. He is a five star center and I believe from IN. Very good player! UK is starting to get involved with him some as well. I butcher Swanigan and Blakeney's name everytime too haha!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Sep 16, 2014, at 9:51 AM

That's the only conclusion I can come too as well. That would be a lineup right there. Two 6'10+ bigs with two dynamic scoring options at the guard spots and a rotating wing of guys like Jakeenan Gant and J3 depending on how big or small you want to play it. Also sounds like a good blueprint for the as big if not bigger recruiting wish list of Maker, Kobi Simmons, Jayson Tatum and his buddy Harry Giles.

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Sep 16, 2014, at 9:56 AM

2016 is one of my favorite recruiting classes in a while! seems to be LOADED.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Sep 16, 2014, at 1:36 PM

Skal Labissiere had an in-home visit with Coach Cal today. We didn't really know about that one. His official to UK is Friday. I guess he is going to do in-home and a visit just a few days apart.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Sep 16, 2014, at 7:08 PM

In case Mizzou fans haven't heard two of the incoming freshman basketball players Jakeenan Gant and D'Angelo Allen were arrested for 3rd degree assault yesterday and have been suspended from the team at this time.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 8:18 AM

Oh. my. lord.

So is that just a ploy to make more scholarships available haha!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 8:33 AM

Also Emmanuel Mudiay has signed a multi year deal with Under Armour. If you remember he is the one that backed out of going to college at SMU and will spend 1 year playing in China. His China deal was worth $1.2 million. I can't find anywhere how much the shoe deal is worth.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 8:34 AM

That in the short term is a major blow for your under armor schools like Auburn in recruiting. Under Armor just overcame Adidas as the new number 2 overall shoe which would eventually effect recruiting but if under armor is cool with paying kids to play in foreign leagues instead of college ball than so much for getting kids to go to college at under armor schools

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 8:49 AM

Also Gant is somebody Mizzou will need to compete this year and going forward. Allen may be expendable depending on his performance and the number of recruits that come in next year.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 8:50 AM

Last point on the Mudiay overseas signing shoe story. Long run this will spell doom for basketball at the collegiate level if this becomes the trend with Nike and Adidas as well. Honestly speaking here, if these shoe companies can start paying these kids above the table to play elsewhere it takes a lot of shady activity with AAU out of the picture.

Also I think it's evidenced with Dante Exum that you can generate hype by withholding the star product from the viewing eyes of the mass market. It's similar to how boxing and MMA( if we wanna be honest pro wrestling) promoters used to build stars and fights. You have experts rave about the talent while the talent mows down weaker competition and the target audience can't obtain solid visual evidence of the dominance. You are selling the unknown and when it comes draft day in the NBA you unveil the product at its peak earning potential because they will most likely never be this hyped again. Just look at how many commercials Dante Exum was in for I believe Adidas and several companies once he got drafted. Literally like 5 happened as soon as it went to break once he was picked.

Then you look at the added bonus of building the game and expanding individual player's brands in Europe, Asia, and South America and the revenue that produces immediately as well creating a steady revenue stream for the future.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 9:05 AM
  • Remember when mizzou didnt have an extensive police blotter? I cant. Someone refresh my memory. At the expense of winning a few athletic contests i wonder if we can maybe start recruiting based on good solid character. Probably asking way too much in this day and age.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 9:40 AM

I tend to let the system play out before I judge the accused. The accusers say that they( 3 men) were jumped at 2am on Elm St. They say in the brawl that one of the attackers dropped their wallet and it was Gant's. Cop arrested Allen, Gant, and a third roommate named Martin because they both "matched the description given". Point is that is hardly an open and shut case so let's see where it goes in the legal process and hear the accused side of the story.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 9:50 AM
  • Mizzou sure is fitting right into the SEC. What are they top 3 in number of suspensions based on "alleged" criminal activity since they have joined?

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 10:01 AM
  • Just amazes me when we hear about of all these kids that just blow these opportunities. It's just sad.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 10:04 AM

Man way pass to judgement before all the facts are known and both sides are heard there Biglew.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 10:15 AM
  • The point is that these kids put themselves in a position to get arrested. Thus, they have questionable character or love to surround themselves with kids of questionable character. Seems to be an ongoing issue with mizzou football and basketball recruits these days. I havnt a solution for the ridding of the recruiting of these kids, im just making an observation.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 10:21 AM

I don't see how you can blame the accused for being accused. I could accuse you( Ciri) of horrible horrible crimes and 9/10 times the police will investigate. It is especially common for things like assaults which rely so much on witness testimony and the necessity to explore the claims of the accuser that people often get arrested. Doesn't mean they did it or will even be charged. It just jumps to a lot of conclusions.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 10:26 AM
  • So far i havnt proclaimed any sentence on these kids, just making the observation that every two to three months for the past several years mizzou is on the ticker at the bottom of the TV screen. My point is that it seems mizzou has had an uptick in recruits getting accused of crimes, suspensions follow, and several banishments over this same period. Its becoming almost an epidemic. Again, i havnt passed judgement, guilty or innocent, on either of the two latest casualties. But its not a good sign when they havnt even stepped on the court and their names are already scrolling across national sports channels. I would think the vast majority of zou followers are concerned by this, it is negative publicity. I am not smart enough to think of a way to solve this ongoing problem.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 10:59 AM

This desire to lump unrelated incidents together on the tangential connection that athletes at Mizzou committed/accused of the crime puzzles me. It implies that it doesn't happen any where else and is a problem only at Mizzou and that somehow one incident begat another. Like because Derrick Washington was convicted of rape the seal on unlawful behavior was broken and all athletes decided it was ok to run wild.

Neither of these are true. Fact of the matter is that 1 in every 100 Americans has spent time in prison or is currently in prison. People do bad things everywhere in all walks and stages of life. While there is a huge discussion to be had about the current state of the justice system the point I'm trying to make is that these things have to be taken in and reviewed case by case as each has it's own unique circumstances.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 11:16 AM
  • I guess my question is this: Can mizzou try to follow in the footsteps of, say, a Duke or a Stanford or any other school that rarely is seen associated with recruits/players being consistently suspended while awaiting judgement? I agree every school has had issues with this problem, but i swear two months cant go by without a mizzou athlete being suspended. Levi Copelin just got let go after a suspension. Or is the only way zou can compete these days is to continue to go after athletes first and hope character issues stay out of the national press?

Hey Buck, it seems like mizzou has lost a boatload of athletes in both sports in the past several years to discipline. Has UK had the same amount of negative press?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 11:45 AM

Just wanted to note that Duke has one of the most famous falsely accused cases with the Lacrosse rape case.

I think the thing to consider here is that you don't hear about other colleges back ups, transfers, recruits, freshman who get into legal scraps. You about it from your team in your area because they are what gets reported locally and what you pay attention to.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 11:57 AM
  • Yah thats why im checkn with Buck, im definitely biased in the direction of zou sports coverage. Just wish zou would stay off that ticker for awhile, grrrrrrrrr......

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 12:13 PM
  • Aaaaaand here are some cold hard facts showing mazoos criminal record. Yes we lead the SEC in arrests at 16 since joining the league, and now add two to that total to make it 18. Quite a trend, very embarrassing for me as an alum.

http://www.komu.com/news/do-not-post-mizzou-arrests/

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 2:14 PM

Man I can't remember any of our basketball players even getting in trouble, nor dismissed of the team in years. Football has had a few dismisals last year, but it was more Stoops kicking them off because they were bad seeds or had bad character, not because they got arrested.

A couple factors I can think of. My first factor is not downing Mizzou at all, please don't take it that way. But for the last few years UK has had really high level recruits. And not that high level recruits can't get in trouble, but many of them have been developing their craft for a while,and they don't want to throw their career away. Many of these kids are already involved in so much charity work before they get there, and Cal has them doing a bunch of charity stuff all the time. That seems to keep them occupied. They also have their own Wildcat dorm that is amazing and super state of the art with an in-house gym where they have access 24 hours a day. So they pretty much stay off to themselves and focus on basketball. Any time they but a picture on twitter or something out doing things on a weekend, it is always with teammates. Rarely do you see or hear about them out with anybody else that might be a bad seed.

Second theory. I honestly believe the crime rate in Columbia is higher than Lexington. I have a friend who is a Columbia police officer, and he tells me that they have one of the worse crime rates in missouri, and in many categories they are per capita higher than St. Louis and Kansas City (including violent crimes). He said the FBI and ATF have a constant presence there. The location between STL and Kansas city makes it a hot bed to run drugs between the two. Lots of bad seeds there.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 4:41 PM
  • Great points buck, i didnt even consider the como crime rate. But again, if u recruit folks with decent morals they will find ways to avoid trouble. Hoyas are in a high crime area but i dont recall many Hoyas on the ticker every other month.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 5:21 PM

I think that cuts both ways though. You can quarantine your athletes away from the college population but correct me if I'm wrong here Buck but it effects their attendance and grades and such because they realize they are at basketball finishing school and that is their profession.

Also when you keep them separated like that it's much easier to develop a locker room culture in the dormitory where everyone covers for everyone and no one judges anyone else. I know those are some of the reasons Mizzou got rid of the athlete dorms over a decade ago.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 6:00 PM
  • I heard this happened at 2AM. If so not much good happens at 2AM.

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 8:26 PM

That's true. I actually agree not much good happens at 2 am but still not enough judge what actually happened.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 8:50 PM

Mizzou offered 2015 Ladue DE Nate Howard tonight. I believe he is commuted to Wisconsin, but visited Mizzou last weekend

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 11:10 PM

So Jeff Meyer at 247 and other recruiting analyst have been hearing that Briscoe and Blakeney are the package deal not Newman and Blakeney. They also say it wouldn't be far fetched for Mizzou to land the duo as UK seems lukewarm on Briscoe and really loves Newman. My goodness this thing could actually happen.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Sep 18, 2014, at 10:10 AM

It looks like Bruscoe's in-home visit with Coach Cal today went great, and Briscoe is now planning to visit Lexington.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Sep 18, 2014, at 10:23 PM

Another new update, Antonio Blakeney will have an in-home visit with Kentucky on Wednesday.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Sep 18, 2014, at 10:38 PM

Blakeney's Mizzou visit will be September 22nd. He tweeted out that date, LSU Tuesday, and UK Wednesday, and then deleted it. But I saw it before it was deleted.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Sep 18, 2014, at 10:45 PM

2015 DE Jason Strowbridge commits to UK over Alabama, Florida, Tennessee & Louisville. He is ranked the No.25 DE in the country. He's our 15th 2015 commit.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Sep 20, 2014, at 12:28 PM

Stoops is doing a really remarkable job. That commitment makes 20-straight commitments for UK ranked at least three-stars. Of Stoops' 57 commitments at UK, just three two-stars. I know stars don't mean much eventually, but it's what we have to go off of at the high school level, and shows the type of recruits he is getting.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Sep 20, 2014, at 12:54 PM

Leave to Bunk to act like nothing has happened and ignore the negative attention these players are giving the Zou. I agree with everything Ciri has said here and its disconcerting when the Zou athletes are always in national headlines for the wrong reasons....even if they turn out to be innocent. What the heck are these doing out at 2am to begin with? Nothing good can come being out at that time of night.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Sat, Sep 20, 2014, at 6:03 PM
  • I agree, dump.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sat, Sep 20, 2014, at 7:04 PM

Hey Dump you realize that these weren't national headlines and that if I didn't post it there is fair chance a lot of you would have never heard it. Leave it to Dump to run his mouth without reviewing the facts again.

-- Posted by Bunk on Sun, Sep 21, 2014, at 3:43 PM

Bunk you probably got the info from the STL Post Dispatch. I am pretty sure all of us frequent that website or read the paper.

And when you cannot cover your rear end you just make comments about how the rest of us just run our mouths. Seems like you're the one running your mouth and defending negative attention. Nothing new with you, Bunk.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Sun, Sep 21, 2014, at 8:27 PM

Your the one who just called me out and started running your mouth. Got the news from the Blotter in the Columbia Tribune which is were 90% of these small arrest stories get broken. Most campuses arrests you don't know about unless you read the local paper.

I'm not covering for the negative attention or whatever that means. What negative attention are you speaking of? It surely isn't 3rd assault charges or MIPs or misdemeanor charges of possession of marijuana. Those are the little type of run ins that I'm speaking of that happen at every campus.

Now the big two in the DGB saga of arrests and the Dixon/Washington rape scandal which seems to flare up every 4-6 months are negative attention getters. In the end Mizzou got it right with DGB and Oklahoma swooped in and ended up eating some of the heat on that front and Mizzou saved face. The rape scandal is indeed horrible for the university especially since the last incident happened over 3 years ago and they are still finding out stuff that should have just been discovered. The longer it drags out about who reported what and when the harder it is on Alden to keep his job.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Sep 22, 2014, at 10:04 AM
  • I will say that im proud of the way zou handles the discipline problems, maybe the kids will get a clue and stop doing stupid things. Although i will say we coulda used DGB this weekend, i was at the game and we absolutely sucked. Maybe this trend will slow down as the kids realize they'll be gone if they cant act responsibly.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Sep 22, 2014, at 11:30 AM

I did not realize stating facts about your comments meant I was running my mouth. Maybe if you were not so quick to brush aside the nagative media attention, then I would not have a thing about your comments.

Look at how much trouble the players on the basketball team got themselves into. And while I think the pot charges are garbage it is still illegal in Missouri so anyone of the athletes that gets caught with the crap should have their rear ends kicked so hard they wont be able to sit for months. And just because most of us on here probably do think the pot charges are ridiculous does not mean it still isn't negative attention.

Zach Price - thug from Louisville who liked beating up his roommate.

Wes Clark - moron caught with pot

Shane Rector - other moron caught with pot

Tony Criswell - did not like to pay his rent

Gant and Allen - idiots who like to fight

And all of this has happened in 2014! You are telling me that this is not pathetic?

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Mon, Sep 22, 2014, at 11:48 AM

Looks like Blakeney enjoyed his Mizzou in-home visit this evening.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Sep 22, 2014, at 9:58 PM

Mizzou also stopped in to see Evans High wing CJ Williamson while they were in Florida.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Sep 22, 2014, at 10:01 PM

2016 Harry Giles said UK visited him at his school Friday. I wasn't aware if that one.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Sep 22, 2014, at 10:32 PM

Thomas Bryant said today that Mizzou is recruiting him the hardest.

Blakeney will have a home visit with Kentucky on Wednesday.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Sep 22, 2014, at 10:45 PM
  • Hey Buck! It finally dawned on me! You get all this inside scoop at Chubby's!! Well i'll be!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Sep 22, 2014, at 11:45 PM

Jolly no one outside of Mizzou fans knows who any of those guys are. You act as know Mizzou is in the firestorm that Goodell and the NFL are under when no one is paying attention to the basketball team's misdemeanors.

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Sep 23, 2014, at 7:29 AM

I still think the key to Blakeney is to convince Briscoe. UK is dragging their feet with him and it may come back to bite them

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Sep 23, 2014, at 7:31 AM

Oh yeah Ciri haha! Third stall in the men's room, you can find all the recruiting news written on the door!

I knew there was something I was forgeting. Bryant said that he plans to sign in the late spring period.

Yeah that is just kind of how UK operates on any recruit that they are not dead set on. It's almost Calipari's strategy, all the recruits know that Cal doesn't offer until late to make sure that he is dead set on them. So they believe that if they get an offer, that Cal is really hign on them and has done his homework because he very rarely offers underclassmen and usually waits until late. I don't even think Briscoe has a UK offer, Cal said he had to come ot campus first. And that's another reason UK takes a while, because Cal a lot of times will wait until they come to campus to offer.

It was just announced though that Briscoe after narrowing his list to 5 that did not include UK he will take an official to UK on Oct. 17th for Big Blue Madness.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Sep 23, 2014, at 8:21 AM

Skal Labissiere visited UK this weekend, and said that he really enjoyed the visit and loved everything about it. Labissiere is agrubly the most important recruit for our 2015 class. I hope we can steal him away from Memphis, where he is from.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Sep 23, 2014, at 8:26 AM

The Mizzou keeps recruiting these criminals its only a matter of time before another Derrek Washington or DGB comes along. But hey if Mizzou wins thats all that matters to you Bunk. Reputation means nothing to you.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Tue, Sep 23, 2014, at 9:54 AM

So we are recruiting criminals now? I thought they just became criminals after they committed the crime. Apparently Pinkel, a Haith/Anderson is tasked with not only assessing talent but staring into to vastness of a 17 year old's soul and determining him capable of criminal activity. See this is what I mean when I say we shouldn't judge to quickly. Do you think Georgia's reputation has utterly tarnished due to criminal actions because the kids they cut due to criminal troubles end up as star QBs for other SEC programs.

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Sep 23, 2014, at 10:36 AM
  • I agree bunk that in most cases you cant really predict how a recruit is gonna behave once they are let loose on campus. I am intrigued by bucks post about the UK teams being in their own dorms, etc. I wasnt aware zou had stopped having athletes dorms. I think they mite need to go back to that environment. Maybe there would be more accountability and a shorter leash on those who are more tempted to get into trouble. U brought up some negatives concerning athletes sequestering, but ya gotta admit this adverse behavior issue is getting outta hand.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Sep 23, 2014, at 11:09 AM
  • Sorry that we hijacked ur recruiting thread Buck, but i do try to include the word "recruit" in most of my posts haha!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Sep 23, 2014, at 11:12 AM

Yeah I think it's a double edge sword when you isolate the athletes from the university population. It gives coaches and team leaders way more control but then you are doing a disservice to the students by not giving them a full college experience. It works at UK especially in basketball because they are passing through 1-2 years at most and most have some kind of future in basketball. That's not the case at Mizzou yet so idk if that's a fair shake for them. Also don't what it says that you have cage athletes up like animals or quarantine them. It's not a message I'm comfortable with.

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Sep 23, 2014, at 11:58 AM

Hahah it's cool Ciri, I enjoy the conversation!

I would agree with Bunk that it could be a double-edged sword. UK seems to have the right combination of circumstances, some of which Bunk listed, that make it work at Kentucky where as it might not work or be good at other schools.

I will list a little bit about what I know about the "Wildcat Coal Lodge" (Coal because Joe Craft owner of Alliance Coal got the donors together). The building was funded by private donors and cost around $8 million. It is not in violation of NCAA rules as most would thing, because over 50% of every wing is occupied by non-athletes (those are some lucky housing lottery winners right there). Although the dorm only has 32 rooms. So theres probably 15-16 basketball players and 16-17 non athletes. The lodge has its own private chef, Head Chef Chris Cain, allowing residents to order food at anytime. The walls of the hallways are littered with Itinerary Flat Screens that show players schedules, practices, classes, and weight lifting and conditioning times. It has a huge louge and a game room. When you enter the lodge you step into a big room with the 8 national championship trophies and big UK themed murals. Murals also line most of the walls with paintings of former UK NBA players. One of my favorite features is that the rooms are designed to fit people around 7 foot tall. The bed accomidate that size and even the showers and sinks are much taller than normal. The dorm rooms are also single rooms. While the aren't anything lavish, we all know how that freshman year where they just stick you with somebody as a roommate goes. So having your own room is pretty sweet. And as I've mentioned before it is all adjacent to the 24 hour practice facility (also pretty cool) and the tutoring center.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Sep 23, 2014, at 1:42 PM

No offense Buck but I'm gonna go out a limb here and say that more goes into picking the other 30+ kids who live swanky dorm besides a lottery.

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Sep 23, 2014, at 2:05 PM

haha yeah I was being kinda facetious. I'm sure household income is a big factor for the other kids lol!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Sep 23, 2014, at 2:22 PM

Yeah I'm sure financial implications as well affiliations with certain boosters who contact the non athletes on coach Cal's behalf to establish ground rules for player interactions are prerequisites.

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Sep 23, 2014, at 2:51 PM
  • Whoa those are not ur grandfathers athletic dorms!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Sep 23, 2014, at 3:29 PM

Thats good Bunk. Keep ignoring the facts about the amount of guys who have gotten themselves kicked off the basketball team and/or into trouble. That's classic.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Wed, Sep 24, 2014, at 10:47 PM

Isiaih Briscoe will visit Kentucky Sunday.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Sep 26, 2014, at 8:08 AM

I don't usually rob wholesale from one particular source but the Mizzou rivals site PowerMizzou has just released the expected but now fully confirmed list of basketball recruits for Oct 10-12( Georgia football game weekend)

There is the big 4 names for 2015 5 stars Isiah Briscoe, Antonio Blankeny, and Caleb Swanigan as well as high 4 star Thomas Bryant. The shocking part was that they also have Jayson Tatum, Kobi Simmons( 2016 5 stars), Miles Bridges( 2016 4 star), and Michael Porter Jr( 2017 5 star no relation to the famed SEMO Porters). That's just insane to me. Mizzou's whole perception and complexion as a basketball program would and could change hinging on how that 3 day stretch goes.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Sep 26, 2014, at 11:14 AM
  • So bunk, any idea who is a realistic commit at this point? Like are we fooling ourselves into thinking that someone as talented as Tatum is really serious about considering mazoo? Dont get me wrong, im excited theyre just taking a visit but sure would be nice to land some of these big fish!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Sep 26, 2014, at 12:28 PM

The word is we can get Fulford's ex high school kids in Bryant and Bridges. We are up against stiff completion from Syracuse and Michigan State but it's possible.

Blakeney and Briscoe have been well documented. Blakeney likes LSU and Mizzou a lot and Mizzou is hot because of all of the other recruits taking notice to Fuller and Fulford. They may be a package deal as well. Briscoe is pumped about UK but if they value Newman over him than he may just go to Mizzou with Blakeney. Both really like Mizzou it's serious.

Swanigan is an unknown. He is visiting so that's a big deal( visits are the best evidence of interests) but no one has a real good read on him yet. He is the one I believe when he says he will go to the late signing day.

Tatum likes Mizzou always has. Wasn't sure if it's a serious spot for him but things have improved drastically for him. His mom wants him to stay close to home and was impressed after meeting with Anderson, Fuller, and Fulford( they apparently have a great 3 man pitch that impressed every recruit and recruit's family/ entourage on this tour of home visits). Word is if Tatum can see 1-4 of these big names sign at Mizzou than Mizzou will be considered his leader as that would reassure him and impress him.

Kobi Simmons is a mystery to me but he is visiting so there is something there.

Not visiting but Thon Maker is seriously considering Mizzou for that class and visited in the past. He may want try the overseas route though so who knows.

Lastly Michael Porter Jr has tons of Mizzou connects( dad is women's coach, sisters play on women's team). He also lives in CoMo already and plays at Battle I think. Word is also he would like to see another big time recruit be landed to prove Mizzou is viable as an NBA launching pad

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Sep 26, 2014, at 12:54 PM

Duke has really been coming hard for Tatum. Were there two days ago to see him.

Who all is on an official visit!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Sep 26, 2014, at 12:56 PM

Kobi Simmons is good! I know I've heard Ohio St. is really after. UNC is pretty interested too. But yeah it's great he's coming to visit.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Sep 26, 2014, at 1:02 PM

I think all the 2015 kids are official( unsure on Swanigan) and of course the underclassmen are unofficial.

Also want to note that Thon Maker has a little brother in 2017 who could be a borderline 5 star eventually and the same with Porter's little brother in 2018. Also Fred Thatch of Sikeston may end up as a big time recruit if all goes well and he could factor into 2018. There is a nice set up path for Anderson recruiting wise if he can get the first domino to fall and start winning/getting kids drafted

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Sep 26, 2014, at 1:04 PM

Also Alden is really working trying to spend this SEC network money with building these nice new basketball practice facility where the Hearnes Center used to be.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Sep 26, 2014, at 1:07 PM

Lets hope the Mizzou Football team shows up for this home game. Landing 2-3 of these big fish would propel the program forward.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Fri, Sep 26, 2014, at 1:11 PM
  • Wow thats excellent info, thanks for the insight!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Sep 26, 2014, at 1:14 PM
  • Agreed Jolly, the entire team seemed disinterested vs Hoosiers and the crowd sensed it. Hope they dont let it happen again.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Sep 26, 2014, at 1:18 PM

Yeah that was the worst the interior of the OL has played in awhile. The defense got tired due to the hurry up so they needed to be better conditioned for that type of deal in my mind. Getting Markus Golden back will help. But the OL needs to improve if they want to compete for the East.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Sep 26, 2014, at 2:06 PM

UK breaks their 17 game conference losing streak (longest in the country) with a 17-7 win over Vandy! True freshman and even the sophomores played great once again! Only won 2 games all last year, already 3 this year before October.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Sep 27, 2014, at 2:01 PM

WORST MIZZOU WIN EVER! Just had to say it. My joy is beyond comparable. We finally got the gamecocks

-- Posted by Bunk on Sat, Sep 27, 2014, at 9:54 PM
  • Yah they bounced back admirably and in the words of Bunkster, a W is a W!!!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Sep 27, 2014, at 11:03 PM
  • Buck, are u implying the UK game will not be a gimme for Zou? I believe ur hope is growing game by game!! I think Ark is still in the midst of a nasty conf losing streak tho they almost took down Aggies tonite!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Sep 27, 2014, at 11:07 PM

No game is safe outside of Vandy for any of the 13 SEC teams in my opinion

-- Posted by Bunk on Sun, Sep 28, 2014, at 12:13 AM
  • Agreed!! Much parity these days in SEC!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sun, Sep 28, 2014, at 12:53 AM

Nope not implying anything haha, but I do think it will be a competitive game! I'm just glad we finally broke that streak and our young guys are showing us that we have a bright future. Yeah I think today put Ark at 14 game streak, so a little behind where UK was. They almost got it though, I was pulling for them! I agree with Bunk, watch out, no game is safe for anyone or any team!!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Sep 28, 2014, at 1:14 AM
  • Good for UK on the gridiron, as long as ur not invading zou's recruiting territory haha!!

Hey Bunk, whatya think of zou running FOUR straight running plays from the 2 at the end? Can u imagine the grief Pinkle wouldve gotten over that if theyda gotten stuffed four times in a row? That was ballsy playcalling ya gotta admit! I wouldve been the first on here to demand his head on a platter, course you knew that already haha!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 2:47 PM

To add to your list Bunk, I also heard Mizzou will be hosting Ted Kapita (2015 4 star), Curtis Jones (2 or 3 star), and Tyler Cook (2 or 3 star from Chaminade, probably coming with Tatum.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 3:53 PM

However Swanigan will now be visiting UK on 10/10 it appears.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 4:06 PM

Jones is 4 star. He is like 85th in the country.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 4:07 PM

Yeah it looks like Swanigan is going to come watch Cal's Combine Day which is also Oct. 10th. It will have representatives from all 30 NBA teams and it will be a combine like workout featuring only UK players.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 4:13 PM

It should be noted that Briscoe was offered his scholarship officially today. I know UK got in really really late in his recruitment, but I think he might end up a Wildcat.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 6:15 PM

Coach Cal will visit with two 5 stars today. He will be in Vegas to see Stephen Zimmerman today, and then head to California, to see Derryck Thornton. Both have confirmed that they will take officials to Big Blue Madness on Oct. 17th.

Also super thankfully, Jaylen Brown ranked 1 or 2 by all the recruiting services announced that he will use one of his officials for Big Blue Madness on the 17th.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 12:27 PM
  • Who are ur Cats playin on the gridiron that weekend?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 12:47 PM

They play LSU the next day, but I don't think the recruits go to the game. This is it's own seperate basketball event that is really the biggest of the year. The players scrimmage against each other. Drake has been there, and Jay-Z and LeBron and several stars. Drake will be there this year as well. It's probably more fun than any game haha! People camped out a week before a few weeks ago just to get tickets. Not to get into the game, just to have a chance to get tickets to the game.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 12:59 PM
  • Wow how cool is that!! Doin it up right in the land of the thoroughbreds!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 1:04 PM

Mizzou has parted ways with Notre Dame transfer Cameron Biedscheid.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 9:12 PM

Prolly just means more minutes for Teki

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 9:26 PM

Blakeney said today that he will visit UK for Big Blue Madness on the 17th

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 12:18 PM

What does that exactly mean? Parted ways?

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 2:56 PM

Good question. I have no idea. That is just what the official statement said. Could be that Biedscheid chose to leave on his own or something.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 3:09 PM

Hmm thats interesting. Just read the Assistand AD at Mizzou was arrested for DWI. Good grief.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 7:26 PM

Briscoe, after being pretty adamant this whole time that he would sign in the spring, is now saying he wants to move it up and sign in the fall. Must be seeing something he likes. Don't know if that's good or bad for UK, leaning towards the bad.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 8:19 PM
  • Zou must have the best police force on the planet, nothing escapes their public duty!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Oct 1, 2014, at 9:03 PM

Arizona is no longer recruiting Carlton Bragg, so that would cut his top 5 down to UK, Kansas, Illinois, and UCLA.

Also Cal met with Stephen Zimmerman earlier in September, and then met with him Tuesday, and now it sounds like he will be meeting with him again soon. Kentucky must really be coming hard after him. Trying to get him away from UNLV.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 2, 2014, at 10:05 AM

In Goodman's first 2015 NBA mock draft he has UK's Karl Towns at No.2 and WCS at No.9 (first non freshman/non foreigner on the list).

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 2, 2014, at 1:12 PM

After visiting with Thorton in California, Coach Cal also visited 2016 5 star MJ Cage who does have a UK offer.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 2, 2014, at 6:40 PM

ESPNU will air Kentucky's NBA Combine on Oct. 10th from 2-4PM. Jay Bilas, Seth Greenberg and Avery Johnson will handle the action and Myron Medcalf will do sideline reporting. Representatives from all teams should be present.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 1:11 PM
  • Leave it up to hypocrite pay pal cal to get mad and whine because he thinks Coach K has an advantage because he coaches the USA team, but then cal turns around and sets up this circus show. Typical calishady behavior.

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 1:19 PM

Any team can set one up. It's not an advantage over another coach, because anyone could do it. So not hypocritical. But you have to have the NBA talent to set it up so that people will show.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 1:21 PM
  • Im just as jealous as u are about Calishady, dr hoops. But if he were zou's coach i'd be the first to contribute to the twenty foot statue of him outside zou arena!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 1:34 PM
  • How would you feel about that statue after the wins and final fours he took mizzou too were vacated and he left the school on probation or worse? Because it's going to happen as it has at his previous 2 schools. Kentucky fans will try and tell you he wasn't involved and ncaa never charged him with wrong doing, but is it just coincidence he was coaching at each school when it all happened?

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 3:24 PM
  • Yah haha i was being a bit facetious about Cali-worship heehee. But ya gotta admit the dude can recruit and coach. He probly didnt ever need to cheat and doesnt need to now. But dang the NCAA is holier than the pope, no one is worthy to be saved any more when trying to follow their 10,000 commandments.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 4:11 PM
  • Can u imagine mizzou throwing an NBA combine party? Is DeMarre Carroll still alive? Anthony Peeler? Stipo? I know Sundvolds still alive.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 4:16 PM
  • I'll give you that he can recruit although I along with MANY others believe he does it unethically. But as far as coaching I don't believe he is a good coach. If he was, then with all of that talent he has had, he would have more than just one title.

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Sat, Oct 4, 2014, at 11:50 AM

We'll Kentucky and South Carolina are tied 17-17 at halftime. I'll take it.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Oct 4, 2014, at 8:27 PM

And with a trick play UK takes a 24-17 lead.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Oct 4, 2014, at 9:05 PM

UK and USC tied 38-38 with 3 minutes left. So your telling me there's a chance!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Oct 4, 2014, at 9:56 PM

UK pick 6!! We are up 45-38!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Oct 4, 2014, at 10:06 PM

USC gets the ball back and we intercept again! Our ball, 1:31 left.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Oct 4, 2014, at 10:07 PM

Kentucky defeats South Carolina 45-38! I can't believe we are 4-1 right now, and 2-1 in the SEC. We are a third overtime game with Florida from being undefeated in both categories.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Oct 4, 2014, at 10:15 PM

The win tonight gets us a commitment from 4 star Jordan Griffin from Florida. He is the No.7 cornerback in the nation by ESPN's rankings. A TON of other big recruits were at the game, this is the one that all the recruits came to, and boy it was a good one. I'll have a more detailed list of who all was there later, including the No.1 running back in the nation.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Oct 4, 2014, at 11:46 PM

YAHTZEE!! UK lands 4star twins Andrew and David Dowell who were also at the game last night (and two of the players that I was going to note were there last night)! Heard they are expecting some more recruits that may commit before the weekend is over.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Oct 5, 2014, at 12:39 PM
  • No way

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sun, Oct 5, 2014, at 3:55 PM
  • The conference announced Sunday that Ole Miss will be fined $50,000 while Kentucky's fine will be $25,000. Ole Miss was fined for similar field stormings in 2012 and 2013, resulting in an increased fine. Kentucky's last field storming incident was in 2007 -- more than three years ago -- so the fine was less than the one levied to Ole Miss.

Booooooooooo!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Oct 6, 2014, at 11:08 AM

3 star Chicago big DT Raequan Williams has scheduled an official visit to Mizzou.

Sounds like Mizzou will have about 20 good football recruits for the Georgia game as well as those basketball guys, including 4 star running back Marquise Doherty who plays at Winnetonka in Kansas City.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 7, 2014, at 6:42 PM
  • Buck u need to roadtrip to the UK-Zou game! Sorry we dont have a Grove but ya wont hafta wear khakis and a striped power tie haha!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Oct 7, 2014, at 7:23 PM

Man I really should, that would be fun! Definitely try to make a basketball game.

2 star cornerback TJ Warren has commited to Mizzou.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 7, 2014, at 9:59 PM

Kentucky met with Isaiah Briscoe yesterday. Heard the visit went well.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 8, 2014, at 8:33 AM
  • Well Buck it looks like you can pencil in a W for ur visit to Far-out Field, Zou's qb suddenly sucks, we have no receivers, and Pinkle's back to coachn like he did two years ago. Congratulations ahead of time!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Oct 11, 2014, at 2:39 PM

Man I don't know about that haha. With UK football you can never pencil anything in. But it does suck that all those recruits didn't even see Mizzou score a field goal.

We had a good win today and move to 5-1 for the first time since 2007, and we've won more games this year than our last two years combined.

Also the NBA combine/circus/practice thing yesterday went really well and about 90 NBA executives showed up.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Oct 11, 2014, at 5:23 PM

That was awful! I guess this goes to show why Ohio and Michigan did not recruit him. Mauk is a dud, not a stud. Our defense can't stop a Senior citizens team.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Sat, Oct 11, 2014, at 6:13 PM
  • I agree, Mauk has been overhyped from day one and he is playing worse as the year goes on. He may have the biggest heart of all our qbs but he certainly doesnt have an accurate arm or very quick wheels. We are in trouble if he's the best we got, he has shown zero growth this year.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Oct 11, 2014, at 6:40 PM

Mizzou offered 2016 guard Curtis Jones of Huntington Prep today.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Oct 11, 2014, at 6:56 PM
  • I wonder how many recruits Mauk chased off with his absolutely miserable performance.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Oct 11, 2014, at 6:59 PM

0 growth! What an awful game to have all those recruits watch. Thats not the way to recruit....unless your promising immediate starting lol. Can we get Berkstresser in a game? He cannot be that worse than Mauk, can he?

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Sat, Oct 11, 2014, at 10:08 PM
  • I say try Printz, Berk is a pocket passer with zero mobility. Our O-line sucks so he'll get killed in the pocket. The problem is Mauk is probly the best we have to offer so we are in a bind.

7-5 looks mighty good right now. We will not beat Ark or A&M, Fla and Ky and Tenn are tossups, Vandy is the only probable W left.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Oct 11, 2014, at 11:08 PM
  • Maui is still inexperienced. He still has a lot of football ahead of him. The o-line has to play better. Pinkel is a terrific coach and I predict the tigers will rebound after a bad loss, like they have most of the time under Pinkels tenure. Fact is the Tigers were a bit overhyped as a whole going into this season, mainly because of the inexperience of Mauk.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sun, Oct 12, 2014, at 6:50 PM

Finally hearing some word that Malik Newman will be at Big Blue Madness this weekend. I've been waiting a bit to hear something on that one.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 15, 2014, at 8:41 AM

Florida sophomore Chris Walker will be suspended the first 3 games, after not being able to play for the first half of the season last year. Also Florida freshman Brandone Francis will not be able to play at all this year for academic reasons. I was looking forward to seeing him play.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 15, 2014, at 1:59 PM

The Thomas Bryant/Syracuse rumors are really swirling today.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 15, 2014, at 3:29 PM
  • Gant and other dude for zou charged with misdemeanor peace disturbance stemming from arrest a few weeks ago. At least there was no mention of pot or hitting girls, so thats a positive.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Oct 15, 2014, at 4:02 PM

It's the small victories right ciri!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 15, 2014, at 4:12 PM

Well that is a victory haha Community service, small fine, back to basketball.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Wed, Oct 15, 2014, at 4:37 PM
  • Buck Chris Walker only suspended first two games of season.

-- Posted by Ron Burgundy on Thu, Oct 16, 2014, at 12:36 PM

Yeah one is an exibition game. Thank you, I noticed that after I posted it. i don't know why they would release a statement saying 3 games when one doesn't even count. Sounds like the school is trying to make the punishment sound worse than it really is.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 16, 2014, at 1:17 PM
  • Typical of Fla schools ifya know what i mean, wink wink!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Oct 16, 2014, at 2:16 PM
  • I imagine Florida to get Jayson Tatum in two years in my opinion they have the connection with Chaminade since they have got brad beal and david lee from there!

-- Posted by Ron Burgundy on Thu, Oct 16, 2014, at 2:31 PM

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, but I believe Tatum has already cut Florida from his list (certainly doesn't mean they can't jump back in, but him cutting them this early is a clear indicator that he doesn't care for them.) I personally see him at one of the North Carolina schools, leaning towards UNC.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 16, 2014, at 2:50 PM

Big Blue Madness tonight. Looks like a lot of the guys are arriving in town! I know the whole coaching staff met Zimmerman and his mom at the airport last night.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Oct 17, 2014, at 11:30 AM

Emmanuel Mudiay preseason debut in China: 21 points, 5 assists, 2 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 block.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Oct 17, 2014, at 12:47 PM

Four Star tight end CJ Conrad has commuted to UK and will enroll early for spring practice. UK's weakest spot this year has def been lack of tight end.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Oct 17, 2014, at 12:57 PM

UK has a 6'9 recruit here tonight.... for the womens team. Wow.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Oct 17, 2014, at 5:50 PM

Looks like Coach Cal will visit with Caleb Swanigan again today. Swanigan was at UK a couple of weeks ago for the NBA combine thing.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 20, 2014, at 12:18 PM

Blakeney will take his official to UK the weekend of November 1st.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 20, 2014, at 8:26 PM

Hearing a lot of Briscoe to St. John's talk. Even though it's really been St. John's all along, Mizzou picked up some buzz, and then UK had some buzz when they offered him a few weeks ago, but really St. John's has been there all along.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 20, 2014, at 10:19 PM

Briscoe said that he is going to trim his list to 3 very soon, and then he will make a decision. His leading 5 now are St. John's, UK, UConn, Mizzou, and Seton Hall. So 2 teams will get cut soon.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 21, 2014, at 11:48 AM

With Elijah Thomas's commitment today to Texas A&M, they now have the #2 recruiting class in the nation.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 21, 2014, at 3:13 PM

Briscoe has confirmed that he will cut to 3 on Saturday.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 21, 2014, at 3:58 PM

Seems like most everyone is saying STJ and UK make the top 3, seen some debate regarding Mizzou and UConn, with a slight majority saying Mizzou.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 21, 2014, at 5:07 PM

Briscoe and his dad were at St. John's practice today. I think he's going to St. John's.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 21, 2014, at 6:45 PM

I feel like the skinny on the big Mizzou 3 recruits has all become: Briscoe to UK or STJ, Blankeney to Mizzou, Bryant is up in the air( Mom wants Cuse, he wants Mizzou, Indiana trying to split the distance difference).

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Oct 22, 2014, at 9:41 AM

That sounds like a pretty fair assesment. From my perspective, I would have to say I see STJ for Briscoe over us. Since Thursday he has hosted 4 STJ coaches, taken an official visit to STJ, and been to a STJ practice at Madison Square Gardens. So I'm starting to do the math.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 22, 2014, at 10:27 AM

Big decision day for 4 star 6'6 250 DE Kengera Daniel. He visited UK recently for the upset of South Carolina, and some see him as landing at UK. He also has listed Alabama, Louisville, NC state, and Virginia in his top 5. He is from North Carolina so many see NC state as the favorite. Hopefully we can pick him up!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 22, 2014, at 11:58 AM

Aaron Harrison named pre-season SEC player of the year.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 22, 2014, at 2:00 PM

Kengera Daniels commits to Kentucky! That's a huge pick up, and one of their top priorities. Moved 2015 recruiting class to No. 20.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 22, 2014, at 6:16 PM

STJ, UK, and UCONN is the final 3 for Briscoe.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Oct 25, 2014, at 12:38 PM

#1 running back in the country Damien Harris here at the UK game again today. I think he's been to about every one so far this season. UK's top target.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Oct 25, 2014, at 2:44 PM

UK only down 10-7 after 1. I'll take it!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Oct 25, 2014, at 3:31 PM

Mississippi St. Up 17-10 at the half. I'll take that too!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Oct 25, 2014, at 4:15 PM

And Towles has more yards than Heisman hopeful Prescott at the half.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Oct 25, 2014, at 4:31 PM

Stoops also has Toby Keith hanging out down on the field. Who does he think he is, John Calipari!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Oct 25, 2014, at 4:33 PM

We score and only down 24-17. Going toe to toe with #1 in nation.

QB comparison:

Towles: 12/21, 176 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT; 15 carries, 77 yds, 1 TD

Dak: 11/21, 124 yds, 0 TD, 1 INT; 10 carries, 54 yards, 2 TD

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Oct 25, 2014, at 4:58 PM

Scored again! Only down 31-24!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Oct 25, 2014, at 5:22 PM

31-24 MSU after 3. Regardless of what anyone says, we have hung with them and played really well!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Oct 25, 2014, at 5:30 PM

MSU beat UK 45-31. Not too bad! It was really a 1 score game but MSU recovered UK's horrible inside kick in the couple minutes after our TD and ran it back for a touchdown.

After the game 3 star 2016 linebacker Roland Walder committed to UK.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Oct 25, 2014, at 7:20 PM

I believe Walder and another 2016 UK commit, go to the same school as UK's top 2016 QB recruit. Hopefully this makes UK more appealing to him!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Oct 25, 2014, at 7:23 PM

2016 running back Quinton Baker has announced his commitment to Kentucky. #3 player in the state if Kentucky.

2 Yahtzees today, not bad!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Oct 25, 2014, at 8:32 PM

So for the 2016 class Kentucky has 4 of the top 5 players in the state. And the #1 player (the one they don't have yet) is favoring UK. I think it's very important to be able to get your instate talent!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Oct 25, 2014, at 8:35 PM

Those two commitments bump UK's recruiting class up to No.5 nationally.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Oct 25, 2014, at 8:39 PM
  • Hey Buck, i was at Zou game this weekend. They played exactly like they did vs Hoosiers, fortunately Vandy is awful. If UK plays well they will win, zou offense is slumpn bad.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sun, Oct 26, 2014, at 11:17 PM

Yeah Ciri I think it is going to be a good game!

A couple early morning basketball updates that happened over the weekend. Ivan Rabb, the No.5 player in the nation has narrowed his schools down to 5. Those 5 are Arizona, Cal, Kansas, UCLA and UK. He will also visit UK this weekend. Rabb said Stephen Zimmerman, who Rabb plays AAU with, was really been trying to get him to take an official to UK (This also tells me that maybe Zimmerman is leaning towards or favoring UK, I hope so). But Rabb is a west coast guy, and the 4 best players off his AAU team have all gone to Arizona. The Oakland Soldiers is pretty much a pipeline to Arizona (Stanley Johnson, Aaron Gordon, Nick Johnson). So hopefully UK can snatch both of them away from Arizona.

Also Thomas Bryant has narrowded his list to Indiana, Mizzou, and Syracuse. An interesting development is that Bryant will be visiting Indiana for the second time in just two weeks this week. Looks like Indiana is making a big push. 2016 star from Huntington Prep, Miles Bridges, will also go with Bryant to Indy this weekend.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 27, 2014, at 8:11 AM

Speaking of Indiana vs Mizzou it looks those two are the finalists for former five star Oregon transfer Jaquaon Lyle. Should be interesting

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Oct 27, 2014, at 3:16 PM
  • One last hijack comment bout Zou football. At the game i noticed that in our "no huddle hurryup" offense, our linemen are in their stance about every play by the time the play clock is down to 20-25 secs. Then, we dont snap til 5-10 secs are left. Hence, the friggn false starts, i hypothesize. Its def not a hurryup offense, we rarely snap the ball with much more than 5-8 secs on playclock.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Oct 27, 2014, at 3:44 PM

Mizzou could be the worst 6 win team in the country right now. Thank God the SEC east is somewhat weak.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Mon, Oct 27, 2014, at 5:42 PM

It's supposed to be a hurry up but Mauk is really pressing with his pre snap reads. He second guesses every read and you can literally see him look at Pinkel/Henson/Hill making sure he has the right reads and what he should audible into. He is either on a very short leash when it comes to changing plays at the line or very shook up/timid. It's probably both.

He was better than he was the previous weeks. I think he can continue to improve to get back to where he was before the South Carolina game.He only has one semi tough defense to contend with in UT out of the next 4 games. It's still not farfetched that this team could back into Atlanta and get killed by whatever awaits them on the other side.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Oct 27, 2014, at 9:55 PM

Ivan Rabb was actually at UK's blue-white game tonight.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 27, 2014, at 11:05 PM
  • Those are good points Bunk. I wonder how close pinkle came to giving Printz a shot. Mauk really really struggled for much of the game.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 12:01 PM

I think he played better against Vandy. There were some drops( the fact that WRs are dropping the ball like crazy is such an underrated part of this story) so it could have been better. You can tell he doesn't always trust the read and is late throwing the ball. Also the WR aren't getting open as much and the OL isn't blocking as well( better than earlier in the year but not as good as last year).

Bottom line is when you lose one guard to injury, one great leader/guard to graduation, your LT to the NFL, 2 WR to the NFL/grad limbo, and your best player WR gets kicked out than your offense may struggle. Doesn't excuse Maty's picks or erratic roll outs leading to grounding and sacks but it isn't enough to bench him in my eyes.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 12:40 PM
  • Bunk, are you sure it isn't Pinkel's fault considering how bad of a coach he is? His game management and adjustments are suspect at best and he hasn't ever made it to a 'real' bowl.

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 1:14 PM

I think he played better against Vandy. There were some drops( the fact that WRs are dropping the ball like crazy is such an underrated part of this story) so it could have been better. You can tell he doesn't always trust the read and is late throwing the ball. Also the WR aren't getting open as much and the OL isn't blocking as well( better than earlier in the year but not as good as last year).

Bottom line is when you lose one guard to injury, one great leader/guard to graduation, your LT to the NFL, 2 WR to the NFL/grad limbo, and your best player WR gets kicked out than your offense may struggle. Doesn't excuse Maty's picks or erratic roll outs leading to grounding and sacks but it isn't enough to bench him in my eyes.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 1:15 PM
  • Dr. basketball, Are you serious? Gary Pinkel is a great coach. Easily one of the best in the country. He took this program from a dumpster and has turned into one of the winningest in the country the last 8 years. He and his staff consistently develop players. We Mizzou fans are fortunate he didn't bolt for Washington. And Mizzou would have been to a higher profile bowl game a couple of different years had it no pt been for bowls doubting the willingness of their fans to travel.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 8:06 PM

He is trying to troll jwhitlock. Don't even give him the satisfaction of acknowledging him.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Oct 30, 2014, at 8:19 AM

He try's to troll me on UK/Coach Cal stuff all the time.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 30, 2014, at 8:52 AM
  • He had 2 opportunities to make it to a real bowl and got dominated in both of them, so get back to me when they play in anything other than the "Out Behind the Woodshed" Bowl.

I didn't know I had to worship everything mizzou and kentucky to be able to post an opinion around here.

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Thu, Oct 30, 2014, at 9:06 AM
  • The final score of those two conf champship games are a bit misleading. In the first one vs OU we were tied at half and marching down to take lead in second half and it went downhill from there. In the second game we were actually ahead in the third qtr until our defense threw in the towel. And we ended up fifth ranked at end of both seasons, give or take. He does have game management issues but most Zou fans are willing to focus on the consistent positives he's brought to the program. As Bunk mentioned, this past offseason we lost our top two receivers and one was the best in country. Thats tuff to overcome and makes Mauk a bit frustrating to watch at times.

Sorry for the ongoing hijacking Buck haha! But i guess this may fall under "grab bag" conversation since the Cats and Tiggers will do battle this weekend at Far Out Field!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Oct 30, 2014, at 10:06 AM

You remind me of something I find interesting Ciri. Way is Mizzou so lackluster or down at home? Past two years they have come out on fire at road games and managed to lose their biggest SEC East game of the year at home. I don't understand why this core of the team is so flaky at home. Any guesses ad to why?

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Oct 30, 2014, at 10:42 AM
  • Thats exactly what i was thinking as i sat at the game saturday. And the crowd i think senses the team's crazy habit lately of underachieving at home. I wish i had an answer, but im not smart enough haha! Maybe they feel like they have something to prove on the road and theyre more focused. They certainly didnt seem real focused saturday in light of the penalties.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Oct 30, 2014, at 10:55 AM
  • I don't mind you speaking, Dr. I just think you're wrong. What about in 2007? It was made clear to everyone that they reason Mizzou didn't get the Orange Bowl(I believe that's right) invite is because of a lack of fan base that would travel, therefore the bowl would not sell enough tickets to make money.

We don't need to get back to you about anything. I never said that Mizzou's program was top 5 elite. I said what it is. One of the winningest programs in the country over the past 8-9 years and that Gary Pinkel is one of the top coaches in the country. Pinkel and his staff develop talent. They win with 2 and 3 star recruits because they "coach" well.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Oct 30, 2014, at 11:23 AM

We didn't get the orange bowl in 2007 because they had adjusted the BCS rankings so that all the conferences(big 6 at the time) got equal representation because Oklahoma got a BCS bowl over a conference champion or somebody after KState upset them in the Big 12 title game earlier in the decade. Basically made the polls matter more and basically penalized teams for losing conference title games which stupid but what happened. In all honesty Mizzou has only been in a position to win their conference title and then play for national title. Never in a position to sit back and hopefully pick off a BCS berth. But the cotton is nothing to sneeze at.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Oct 30, 2014, at 12:45 PM
  • I guess your definition of top coach and mine are different. I see top coach's teams playing for and winning conference and national championships and going to bcs bowls on a regular basis. Pinkel has done none of the above even with all of the talent he has had that went on play on Sundays.

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Thu, Oct 30, 2014, at 2:12 PM
  • Theres only like three or four of those coaches in the nation rite now. Saban, Miles, Urban, Stoops, im sure im missn a couple more. But thats it. Heck Bill Snyders a great coach but he also has not made it to a big bowl in awhile. Its kinda wishful thinkn to expect an elite coach to come to Zou.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Oct 30, 2014, at 2:53 PM
  • That's what is so funny, is mizzou fans actually think they belong in the conversation with the Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma and Ohio States in College Football and think they belong with the Kansas, UNC, and Duke in College Basketball, yet mizzou has not been to one bcs bowl or final four ever! Which is all fine and good, because fans of all teams want that, but mizzou is what they are and that is a middle of the pack big conference school that will randomly make it to a conference championship in football or the second weekend in the ncaa tournament. Nothing more, nothing less.

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Thu, Oct 30, 2014, at 3:02 PM
  • I stand corrected Bunk.

Dr. Basketball. Pinkel developed that talent. But it's not like Mizzou has a deep roster of talent like an Oklahoma or Alabama. Also, I can't find anywhere where I can read Mizzou fans saying they think Mizzou football is on par with the elite. It's not. But it's has been one of the most consistent and winningest programs under Pinkel.

As far as you talent comment. Seriously??? Are you going to try to say that Mizzou, year in and year out has elite level talent across the board? They certainly have developed some great players that have went on to play on Sunday. But those are individuals. For example, Aldon Smith was only a 3 star recruit out of high school. Collectively, as a team Mizzou's recruiting classes and talent level is not close to the elite programs.

When Gary Pinkel came to Mizzou it was a dumpster fire of epic proportions. Mizzou was beyond awful. Only a great coach could do what he has done. Like ciri said, a great coach doesn't always translate into championships. Guys like Saban and Meyer are the cream. But guys like Pinkel, Snyder, Beamer, Dantonio, etc are example of great coaches.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Oct 30, 2014, at 3:45 PM
  • You are overgeneralizing Zou fans in an epic way Dr Hoops. I guarantee you 90% of zou gridiron fans absolutely dreaded the move to the SEC. We know we will neverever have dynasties like the schools u mentioned. But we are always hopeful for that miracle year that seems to happen every so often under Pinkle. I kinda gave Bunk trouble last year by pleading for Tressel to come to Zou, knowing it would never happen. But its fun to dream.....

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Oct 30, 2014, at 4:13 PM

I take Pinkel over Tressel all day everyday.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Oct 30, 2014, at 4:24 PM
  • We will just have to agree to disagree. He has done well developing talent, he just don't know how to utilize it and/or coach it.

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Thu, Oct 30, 2014, at 4:27 PM
  • Tressel has and still would coach circles around Pinkel.

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Thu, Oct 30, 2014, at 4:39 PM
  • Dont get Bunk started haha!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Oct 30, 2014, at 4:53 PM
  • He knows there is no argument so he won't start haha

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Thu, Oct 30, 2014, at 7:51 PM
  • we will definitely have to agree to disagree. I don't even see how you can develop talent but not utilize it. Can you give me some examples? Geez, Michael Sam was a 2 star recruit. It looked like he was utilized pretty good last year. Ladamian Washington was a 170lb pencil when he arrived. He turned out pretty good. I just don't see it.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Oct 30, 2014, at 10:20 PM
  • I just think great coaches normally take talent, whether recruited or developed and turns it into something more than the crap bowls that mizzou play in regularly.

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 9:09 AM
  • First of all, the term crap bowl is dumb. You act like if a team isn't pushing for a BCS bowl bid every year that the season is a complete waste of time. That's ridiculous. I'm not sure you understand the process. Every "great" coach can't coach the "best" teams. Crap it's pretty obvious that Jimbo Fisher has issues, but he has elite level talent.

Secondly, stop generalizing. Do you think Mizzou has elite level talent, year in and year out or not? Because anyone would obviously have to understand that the talent levels, especially in terms of depth make a huge different at the elite level of college football.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 10:11 AM

Blakeney will be on an official visit to Kentucky this weekend.

Indiana shooting guard and brother of NBA player Eric Gordon, Eron Gordon will also be on campus this weekend for an unoffical visit. He is in the 2016 class.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 10:24 AM
  • What process am I not understanding? Should mizzou not be playing to be in a BCS bowl every year? They are in the SEC after all. Are they okay with just getting close by playing in the conference championship once every 10 years or however long it is between?

No mizzou doesn't have elite level talent year in and year out, but the year they had chase Daniel, coffman and rucker at tight end, Jeremy maclin, Alexander and Franklin at receiver. Not to mention Willy Mo at safety, weatherspoon and hood on defense. Any coach that knew what he was doing would have took that team to nothing less than a bcs bowl if not the national championship. Use the excuse all you want about fans not traveling, but that team should have never left it up to the voters and committee that year anyways.

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 10:35 AM
  • The first paragraph of your last blog entry explains exactly what process you don't understand. Of course they should be playing to play in a BCS game, just like 20-25 other teams. But I guess you think the mighty Mizzou football program has been UNDERACHIEVING since Pinkel took over, because they were so dominating before he arrived. You are obviously a black and white person when it comes to understanding things. Your logic of being in the SEC is puzzling. I guess Ohio State, Michigan State, Florida State, etc. should concede the national title to bama or LSU, etc.??

The year you're referring to was the year they lost to an Oklahoma Sooner team that was twice as talented. Simple research will explain this to you or anybody else. And it was also just that, ONE year. You obviously don't understand the level of talent that Oklahoma brought to the table that year. Sure Mizzou was talented that year, but they were not ready to get over the hump at that point.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 10:45 AM
  • Look, you can talk down to me, name call all you want. I have been reading your posts on here for years and know how you roll, but you will never convince me that pinkel is anything more than a bad coach or that mizzou is nothing more than a 2nd rate program in a top tier conference.

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 10:57 AM
  • haha, you want some cheese with that whine? Name calling? Get a life. All of you self righteous people who get mad when your opinions get challenged crack me up. Besides, you're the one who said Pinkel was a bad coach. I'm not trying to convince you so much as just explain where you're wrong. There's a difference.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 11:25 AM
  • Awe, touched a nerve I see. Hook, line and sinker haha. YOu still haven't explained how I am wrong. What has Pinkel done? Anything of relevance? mizzou was awful before he got there and mediocre now, so I guess if going from awful to mediocre is the sign of a "great" coach, then you got me, I was wrong.

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 11:37 AM
  • Generally once someone has an opinion that a coach is bad, theres nothing that can be done to change his mind. Because Zou is, and never has been, an elite football school Pinkle will go down as their best coach in history due to wins and bowl appearances. Its obvious he's not an Urban or a Miles or a Saban but he's also not a Stull or a Woody Widenhoffer. If you think every coach that doesnt make it to a bcs bowl every year sucks, then in ur mind he sucks, nothn we can say will change ur mind. Because Zou isnt high profile we will always have difficulty attracting high profile coaches and players. I thought after joining SEC pinkle wouldnt see .500 and then get fired. I was wayyyyyyyy wrong.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 12:01 PM
  • Hook line and sinker? Again, get a life. I'm so sure that someone who is going out of there way to make a coach like Pinkel look bad is fishing. Please.

Mediocre? You don't believe that for a second. I've read enough of your posts to convince me that you're smarter than that.

Ciri is correct. Pinkel has not done anything to be considered "elite". But taking a program out of the dumpster and becoming it's all time winningest coach and going to bowl games every over a decade is wonderful.

What has Pinkel done of relevance? He took a sorry downtrodden program and made it one of the winningest in the last decade. Nothing major there.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 12:56 PM

Pinkel has proven he is a modern day Bill Snyder excluding the actual Bill Snyder. He has his methods of player evaluation and knows how much raw talent he needs as base for enough development to catch or surpass kids at other programs.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 12:57 PM

He also recruits to his system that he has modified over the years both offensively and defensively. He clearly has an offensive and defensive philosophy that he adheres to in recruiting and the kids he gets maximize the system. He has had success but only once he gets kids with a little extra surplus of talent or has a wide schematic edge or both. He has brought about two of the greatest Mizzou football seasons in the modern era( since Devine). I explained the BCS issue but if think Pinkel can't align the stars for another run in the next 2-4 years before he retires you are nuts and I will take that bet.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 1:02 PM
  • Haha I get it, you guys are mizzou fans and are going to talk up all of these "great" things Pinkel has done because it fits your agenda. I get it, that's what fans do. But until he wins or actually makes it to something that people actually remember, i.e. bcs bowl then he is just another football coach at some school.

I'm not talking about bcs bowl every year either, because that is unrealistic, but how about 1, just 1!!!

Btw, comparing pinkel to Bill Snyder could be one of the funniest things I have heard in some time. Thanks for that!

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 1:39 PM

Mark Stoops signed a contract extension through the 2019-20 season today. I think this is a great move my UK. And I like how they are being proactive. Good win on both parts, cause Stoops got paid.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 2:38 PM
  • Has Pinkel retired? Is he still coaching? The door has not closed on a BCS possibility. So that comment makes no sense and has place in the discussion.

Comparing Pinkel to Snyder is no funnier than half of your comments.

There is no agenda. It's just a case of one side making valid points and another side that is not. Of course he's just a football coach to people who are not Mizzou fans. I applaud you for stating the obvious.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 3:08 PM
  • SNYDER

Career Record: 23 Years, 184-91-1, .668 Pct. (*at major schools)

Bowl Record: 15 Bowls, 7-8, .467 Pct. (*in major bowls)

PINKEL

Career Record: 24 Years, 181-102-3, .638 Pct. (*at major schools)

Bowl Record: 10 Bowls, 6-4, .600 Pct. (*in major bowls)

Hmmmmmmmm.....

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 3:09 PM
  • After seeing these records I must alter my previous statement. Dr's comments are much funnier than the comparison of Pinkel to Snyder.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 3:12 PM

Pinkel is the new Snyder. Will take his kids and teach them his way and will play the style he is comfortable with. Every 2-5 years he will have recruited enough kids and depth that are ready to play that they will win 11-12 games and compete for a national title. The rest of the time they will be a good team on a upward track. I'm fine with having a consistent coach who treats Mizzou like it's home.

Pinkel has been the only coach of note that have been able to see in my lifetime and he can stay as long as he likes in my opinion. There are worse things than being a consistent 8-9 win team in the best conference in football.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 3:28 PM
  • Thanks, that is what I am hear for is stating the obvious that pinkel is not a great coach. Plus, your side still hasn't made valid points to back up your claim for him being a great coach, so we still have that to figure out.

Pinkel hasn't retired, no. He is there, on the sideline, but I wouldn't consider what he does coaching.

Pinkel has never been to a major bowl so the bowl record comparison doesn't hold much water, sorry. Cotton Bowl is close, but no cigar.

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 3:29 PM

In the interest of full disclosure Sideline originally brought the Pinkel to Snyder comparison this offseason talking about Pinkel's coaching rating which is always high because it measures performance vs the supposed talent level of other programs as determined by a combination of major recruiting rankings.

The more you dig the more it makes sense.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 3:31 PM
  • I must admit you are the first mizzou fans I have ever discussed football with that are okay with mizzou being a mediocre football in the best football conference in the country. Congrats!

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 3:32 PM

You are a troll

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 3:33 PM

Yeah 8-9 wins is totally mediocre.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 3:36 PM
  • i feel like a scratched cd skipping while playing a song when I talk to the doctor. You're obviously not dumb. It's clear that you just like to say things that make no sense to ruffle feathers. Haha I can relate to that. Otherwise you'd we'd just have to chalk it up to you being clueless.

Bunk I like what you said. I'm great with him staying too. Nice to have a coach and a program that garners respect and is successful.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Fri, Oct 31, 2014, at 11:48 PM
  • -- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Nov 1, 2014, at 3:11 PM

Thanks Ciri!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Nov 1, 2014, at 3:14 PM

Defense and offense playing ugly ugly ugly today.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Nov 1, 2014, at 3:36 PM

We can't stop you guys on 3rd down. Might as well not event make y'all run a play.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Nov 1, 2014, at 3:59 PM
  • For some reason Zou games are just plain ugly this year, not ur fault Buck!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Nov 1, 2014, at 10:39 PM
  • Hey Buck, didya find some good eats in Zou land?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Nov 7, 2014, at 10:38 AM

I decided to go the Booches route. Nice little place! I didn't have much trouble getting in, but I bet that place is packed on game days!

A couple of recruiting updates. The intial signing period starts Wednesday. 22 of the Top 100 are uncommited, and to be honest it's about 22 of the top 25, so those real high 5 stars, most of them haven't commited yet. I think we will see 4 or 5 of them commit this week.

I know Briscoe met with Coach Cal a couple days ago, also went to a St. John's exibition game. Sounds like it might be a 2 horse race for him. I actually heard that Briscoe may just be waiting on ESPN to tell him a time that they can televise it, and other than that he is ready to commit. So he could be one that we see go during this early period. Should be a lot of news this week.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Nov 10, 2014, at 10:23 AM

I don't know if y'all have followed the recruitment of Skal Labissiere any at all (No. 11 in 2015), but it is quite weird to say the least. It looks like it could be down to Memphis (where he lives) and Kentucky. It's almost so weird that I'm not sure I want UK to even get him, and that's crazy to say considering we are talking about a 5 star recruit. And he is similar to Noel, WCS, and Davis(blocks wise for Anthony), so he would fit or system. Here is a recent article about his team canceling a game because he was sick haha http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2014/11/5/7163725/skal-labissiere-rec...

This article talks a bit about him not being able to transfer schools, and about the school his guardian is starting. If you want more info on Reach Your Dream Prep, all you have to do is google, there's plenty of articles out there!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Nov 10, 2014, at 11:28 AM

Briscoe's dad said that they are very close to a decision, and that it will likely be made Wednesday, and will be televised on one of the ESPN network's. Briscoe did visit St. John again over the weekend, and I still see them as his favorite. His dad did mention that they watched UK's exibition game last night. It will be interesting to see where he goes.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Nov 10, 2014, at 11:49 AM

Booches yum.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Nov 10, 2014, at 1:00 PM

Yeah it was good!

Well now I'm hearing from Memphis reporters that Memphis the university hasn't had contact with Labissiere in about a month, and they are saying it's looking all UK. Scout has him as No.3 player in class, and some have him as No.5. ESPN has No. 11. It will be interesting.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Nov 10, 2014, at 1:05 PM
  • Why would NCAA give him trouble cuz he was ineligible for sr year of HS?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Nov 10, 2014, at 1:21 PM

I don't know, they just have a history of looking at those guys harder. That's part of the reason in my opinion that Mudiay went to China to play.

But..... It has been confirmed that both Briscoe and Labissiere will announce Thursday at 5PM on ESPNU's Signing Day Special. They are the only two confirmed to be on the show so far. I'm taking Briscoe to St. Johns, and I guess if Skal is announcing right now, that would mean he is probably coming to us. So I'll take UK for him.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Nov 10, 2014, at 1:32 PM
  • A 6-11 tower in the post. Dang.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Nov 10, 2014, at 1:51 PM

Here is the link to Briscoe's blog today if anyone would like to read it. Just says more towards STJ in my mind.

http://usatodayhss.com/2014/isaiah-briscoe-kentucky-calipari-uconn-kevinollie-br...

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 10:09 AM

Low 5 star high 4 star PJ Dozier has committed to Frank Martin and South Carolina when everyone thought he was headed to Louisville. Although SC was the local option. Good pickup for them.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 1:14 PM
  • Skal Labissiere's handler asking how to profit from top prospect. No other than Kentucky and Pay Pal Cal in the lead for his services. Haha shocked I tell you, shocked!

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24801563/aa...

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 1:45 PM

Boy I'm hearing 50/50 STJ and Kentucky today for Briscoe. Although it looks like UK has tightened things up in the past few hours. 7 of the last 10 crystal ball predictions have been for UK, and some have even switched from STJ to UK today. I have no idea what he'll do. I've heard Dad wants STJ obviously, and he wants UK. Also heard lack of other talent at STJ could push him to UK. I'll be surprised though.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 8:36 PM

I believe Mizzou got both Puryear and Van Leer's LOI today.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 10:07 PM

About 10 minutes until the decision.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 4:49 PM

Labissiere to UK!!! Briscoe up next.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 5:23 PM

And Briscoe to UK!! Kentucky now with the No.1 recruiting class according to ESPN

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Nov 13, 2014, at 5:37 PM

Antonio Blakeney had 65 points tonight. Yep, SIXTYFIVE! and he is good friends with Briscoe.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Nov 14, 2014, at 8:59 PM

The NCAA just announced that the round of 64 is back to being called the first round in 2016. Thank the lord! I wish they would just go ahead and change it now.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 3:42 PM

UK's Trey Lyles was named SEC Freshman of the Week today.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 5:54 PM
  • If UK duzznt go 40-0 this year coach cal will be on the hotseat. That was sick lasnite.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 10:22 AM
  • Pay Pal Cal and World Wide Wes really have "assembled" quite the talented team this year. As good as uk played, ku was pretty awful. They didn't even look like a top 25 team last night.

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 10:59 AM

Yeah what a game. For those of you who didn't see or hear, Kentucky beat #5 in the nation Kansas 72-40. Kentucky finished with the same number of blocks (11) as Kansas did field goals. Yeah, they only made 11 shots the whole game. We held them to 11-56 shooting or 19.6%. Kansas only scored 12 points in the whole second half. The 40 points that Kansas scored was the lowest amount Kansas has scored in over 25 years. Also Bill Self had never had a team score lower than 49 or get beat by more than 25 at Kansas, so both of those were beaten last night. It's pretty cool to play a top 25 team and your 11th and 12th guys get to score and the walk-ons get to play.

The real suprising thing last night was UK's defense. Everyone knew that we would have a good offense team, but the defense was what everyone was pegging as a weakness. Last year they had real trouble with transition D, and our bigs aren't the quickest. But the defense last night was sensational. I'm really excited about that. And the fact that it was the 3rd game of the year, against a really good top 5 team, and they only had 6 turnovers.

I also don't feel that this was an overrated Kansas team. They probably did have a bit of an off night, but Bill Self said he didn't know if they would have won even if they would have had a great night. He definetly stole the show when he went up to the table at the press conference, picked up the water bottle, drank, and said "I was hoping that was vodka" haha!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 11:07 AM
  • Thank goodness for Kentucky because the rest of the SEC has looked pretty suspect early in the season. I am a big Mizzou fan, but always root for the Wildcats when they are not playing MIzzou. Kentucky sure looked like a #1 last night!

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 11:30 AM

Forgot to add ciri, I don't think they will go undefeated. They have one of the toughest non-conference schedules in the country if not the toughest. They have Kansas, UNC, Louisville, and Texas. I think they will have a couple of hicups along the way, but sometimes those are good things.

Yeah HSHS the SEC has not come out of the gate very strong with Miz, Ole Miss, Florida, and LSU all looking suspect. But it's early, a couple of those teams will turn it around!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 11:34 AM

Pun intended on the "goal" right Dean ;)

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 11:34 AM
  • Never had a problem with uk until calishady came along. Now I find myself rooting for them to go to the final fours and championships because the more they go, the more banners the NCAA can take away when they come knocking.

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 11:35 AM
  • I cant tell one player from another. All big, all fast, all can shoot the rock. Finally, at the end, a short guy came in.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 11:56 AM

Yeah Ciri in the top 10 guys only one is under 6'6, and that is Tyler Ulis at 5'9 (maybe). I did hear that our average height is taller than any NBA team except one (The Trailblazers I believe). But Ulis really brings that average down, without him I bet they would be taller.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 3:18 PM

Kentucky is going to destroy Mizzou when they play.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 9:27 PM
  • It will not be pretty.

Zou did look pretty good tonite i must say. Gill-caesar has talent and Clark and Shamberger and JW III played well.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 10:57 PM

Blakeney had 45 points, 5 Rebs, and 5 asts. tonight. His last couple games have been unreal.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 11:02 PM

Sorry ciri, but I didnt really like what I saw. Past Mizzou teams would have blown out this team. Going to be a long season. I would be grateful for an NIT bid at this point.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 11:07 PM

Not that it matters, because he probably won't commit to us, but Coach Cal did watch Thomas Bryant and Bridges today, and Bryant was officially offered. They will also both watch a UK practice tomorrow.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Nov 28, 2014, at 10:31 PM

Well Bryant also said tonight that he is in the process of setting up an official visit to UK.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Nov 28, 2014, at 10:58 PM

Thon and Matur Maker were sitting behind the UK bench today for an unofficial visit. Will also be back in Kentucky next week playing a game of their own.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Nov 30, 2014, at 3:04 PM

UK's Karl Towns was named SEC Freshman of the Week. That's two such honors for Kentucky freshmen so far.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Dec 1, 2014, at 2:45 PM
  • Hey Buck, KY avg margin of victory is 34.5, but of course u havnt played Zou yet haha.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Dec 2, 2014, at 3:44 PM

WTF!!!! Wes Clark Wes Clark serving an indefinite suspension???

I am sick to death of all these suspensions! This is a team that almost lost to SEMO last night for Criss Sake!

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Wed, Dec 3, 2014, at 3:27 PM
  • And wats up with Gant? Why should it take months to declare him either eligible or ineligible??

And btw, malik monk-bentonville outscored jayson tatum 45-31 the other nite in a nine point bville win.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Dec 3, 2014, at 3:31 PM

Furthermore, that was a game SEMO ****** away and another reason DNutt should be fired. 5/14 in free throws. Average NCAA teams should be at least making 80% of their free throws and if SEMO had done that they would have most likely won.

Sorry about the rantings.....DNutt should be fired and Mizzou needs to stop recruiting guys who get into trouble.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Wed, Dec 3, 2014, at 3:32 PM

Ciri, the NCAA is notorious for holding up this type of process. Gawd do I hate the NCAA.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Wed, Dec 3, 2014, at 3:34 PM

Yeah that was SEMO's game to win, they had it won. Total choke job. As a SEMO alum I was rooting for them. (only root against Mizzou twice, against SEMO and UK).

Sidenote: I was really impressed with Monk last year, and he seems to be picking up right where he left off. He played on the same AAU team as UK's Archie Goodwin, so I hope we have a shot with him. I believe he already has an offer. Coach Cal was at that Tatum/Monk game.

I agree with Jolly, the NCAA can take an ETERNITY.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Dec 3, 2014, at 4:15 PM
  • National Communist Athletic Association

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Dec 3, 2014, at 4:17 PM

Amen

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Dec 3, 2014, at 4:25 PM

Again I'm thinking what are all these Mizzou guys like Clark doing!? And yet somehow Jamies Winston is still playing football. He gets in trouble that makes national headlines every week. Mind blowing.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Dec 3, 2014, at 4:27 PM

Culture difference

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Dec 3, 2014, at 4:59 PM
  • I have to admit I really though SEMO should've won that game last night.

I never like watching Wes Clark play. He's talented, but his body language always sucks unless he's making a shot.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Dec 3, 2014, at 5:31 PM

UK beat #6 Texas last night 63-51. I don't know if any other team has beaten 3 ranked teams so far this year.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Dec 6, 2014, at 11:52 AM
  • I wasnt able to see game but was surprised how close it was til the end. Did KY have an off nite or was Texas that good?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Dec 6, 2014, at 1:03 PM

Texas is #6 in the nation and very good. Many believe Texas's front court is the only one that can hang with UK with Texas's experienced big men. And we held them to 29.8 shooting which is awesome defensively.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Dec 6, 2014, at 1:15 PM
  • Im still stickn with 40 and oh for Cats!! Aint nobody within 15pts of em in SEC!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Dec 6, 2014, at 2:52 PM

Oh lord please don't say that haha

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Dec 6, 2014, at 3:18 PM

Karl Towns was named SEC Freshman of the Week for the second week in a row.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Dec 9, 2014, at 3:40 PM
  • UK also had an off night offensively. But with a D like the WCats, ain't no one going to hang more points than the WCats can handle. I don't Calipari at all and UK fans I know personally really make me hate the team, but this is a team that can go undefeated. Its rare when you see a team with 10 legit pro players.

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Tue, Dec 9, 2014, at 4:43 PM

Yeah there defense has been really good. Now they just have to find that one go to offensive player. I think Towns will be that guy (Booker can when he's hot). And since they don't even play 20 min a night, nobody is going to have crazy high numbers. I think the leading scorer is averaging like 11 ppg.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Dec 9, 2014, at 5:24 PM
  • Yeah....thats kind of scary when you dont even have 1 guy playing 30 mins a night.

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Wed, Dec 10, 2014, at 1:13 PM
  • I'm not sure I agree with everybody's(at least it seems like everybody) assessment that UK has 10 legit pro players. It's unlikely that even half of them will pan out in the NBA.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Dec 11, 2014, at 12:23 PM

Yeah I would actually agree with you. And I think that's more of an outside UK and media fulled thing, at least this UK fan in me doesn't fill that all 10 will be legit pro players. And I would probably even agree with your second statement about maybe half. I think all 3 7 footers will be first rounders with two being lottery picks. Then I believe Trey Lyles will be a legit pro player when he decides to enter the NBA. Then take your pick of one of the guards becoming a legit pro player. But that's not really just a UK thing, it's the odds of pro basketball. Since 2006 there have been 112 lottery picks, and 50 of those players have a legit role on an NBA team today. So that's less than 50%, and that's just the lottery picks who should be the cream of the crop. I will qualify these statements with I believe 9 0f the 100 (and possibly all 10) will get drafted into the NBA and be NBA players at some point, just might not be legit pro players.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Dec 11, 2014, at 1:47 PM

Should be 9 out of 10, but it wouldn't let me go back and correct.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Dec 11, 2014, at 1:47 PM
  • I agree that most and maybe all will get drafted. I don't blame them for leaving early. Even if you're not a lottery pick, you might sign for a year or 2 and make a million or so when there's no guarantee that you'd be a lottery pick if you stayed another year.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Fri, Dec 12, 2014, at 8:58 AM
  • My legit comment was more actually about these getting drafted, because I think all 10 will get drafted at some point.

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Fri, Dec 12, 2014, at 10:40 AM

Kentucky defeated UNC Saturday 84-70. So they have now beaten 4 top 25 teams by an average of 19 points.

Also if you did not hear, late Thursday in practice Alex Poythress tore his ACL and will miss the remainder of the season. This is a tough blow, considering the 3 spot was our weakest spot (neither Alex nor Trey Lyles are really 3's, both or more of the 4 spot). Will this do away with the platoon system!? It didn't Saturday, but to be fair they only had one day to practice something new,and the guys were pretty shook up and barely practiced Friday. I think he should just play the best guys, but he could move Trey Lyles into the vacant spot, and promote 12th man Derek Willis into the 10 man platoon system. It will be interesting to see how this develops. I just hate it for Alex, who is the smartest guy on the team, and will be finishing up his degree this year. I don't know if he will come back, or if he will go to the NBA next year.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Dec 15, 2014, at 9:16 AM
  • 40-0

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Dec 15, 2014, at 11:22 AM
  • "No news of late. Last I read on Blakeney is that he wants to take one more official visit and was deciding between UNC, NC State and Oregon. Kentucky, LSU and Missouri still in the mix. As for Bryant, nothing new that I've read or heard."

Thats from Dave Matter of stl PD. Gawd we need a boatload of help quickly, hope Santa thinks weve been nice!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Dec 18, 2014, at 4:13 PM
  • Curi I'd take Blakeney!

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Dec 18, 2014, at 8:28 PM
  • In a heartbeat. Dave Matter also predicted 4-14 for Zou in conf play. Ouch!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Dec 18, 2014, at 11:09 PM

Holy Crap!!!! 4-14? We wont get an invite to the CollegeInsiders tournament if that happens.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Fri, Dec 19, 2014, at 2:28 PM
  • Looking at the schedule I wonder if they can win 11 games?

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Fri, Dec 19, 2014, at 4:35 PM

Kentucky is beating UCLA 41-7 at halftime. No typo, they held them to single digits. Wow

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Dec 20, 2014, at 3:26 PM
  • 40-0 Buck!!!

Losing by only 3 to Illinois should put KA in the running for coach of the year

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Dec 20, 2014, at 3:48 PM

You gotta stop saying that man hahaha!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Dec 20, 2014, at 4:08 PM
  • Congrats!! They are a hardwood hoops machine!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Dec 20, 2014, at 4:19 PM

Well we have some sort of unexpected breaking news. Antonio Blakeney will make his decision between UK, LSU, and Mizzou Friday (Jan 2nd) live on ESPNU at 3:30 central time. I guess he has reached a decision already. It was reported last week that he was undecided and still wanting to take one more visit which many believed would be UNC. So this is very interesting. LSU seems to be the poplar pick, I would probably have to agree.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Dec 30, 2014, at 11:56 AM

Also Tyler Ulis was named SEC Freshman of the Week and Freshman of the week by the US Basketball Writers Association (USBWA) as a result of his awesome performance when UK beat #4 Louisville.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Dec 30, 2014, at 1:22 PM

I guess I forgot to post this, but for those who didn't hear Antonio Blakeney picked LSU last week. With him joining #1 in the nation Ben Simmons, LSU will really be a force next year in the SEC.

Additionally, #12 in the nation Carlton Bragg will make his decision today at 1:45. He is down to Kansas, Illinois, and Kentucky. He has only taken officials to KU and UK, so many see him down to just those two. It looks like he will be selecting Kansas today. I think with the timing of the decision, all signs are pointing towards Kansas. Anyone that seems to be seriously considering UK (Zimmerman, Newman, Swanigan) are waiting until the spring to see who stays and who goes to the NBA.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 8, 2015, at 10:29 AM

Carlon Bragg did commit to Kansas.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 8, 2015, at 3:16 PM

Thomas Bryant, No.10 in 2016 Derryck Thornton, and Tai Wynyard (recruit from New Zealand) were all in attendance last night for UK's 86-37 win over Mizzou. Bryant is considering both schools, Kentucky is really making a late push for him after he had narrowed down his list to 3 schools.

I saw Bryant this weekend at Mustang Madness (As did Coach Cal who was there to see him), and let me tell you, he was something else. That is one big individual when you see him up close and in person. I never heard a sound like when he dunks the ball, it literally made a boom sound. He was the second best player that I saw there. The last game I saw him he had 33 points and 14 rebounds agains Malik Newman's nationally ranked Callaway team. Remember that Mizzou's new assistant coach Rob Fulford was Bryant's coach at Huntington Prep last year.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Jan 14, 2015, at 10:42 AM
  • Thats bad news for Zou that ANYBODY considering going to the Kittens was in attendance at lasnites game. O woe is us.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Jan 14, 2015, at 11:31 AM

If you guys didn't see it they interviewed Ted Kapita a top 50 prospect from Huntington Prep this weekend, he gave his final 3. Those 3 are Arkansas, Memphis, and Mizzou. Mizzou also visited with him Wednesday (among others: Bryant, Bridges, Jones for obvious reasons). I could really see Kapita ending up at Mizzou. I didn't get to see him play the other day when I watched them because he hasn't played all year. But he looked good in warm ups and would be a nice addition for you guys.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Jan 19, 2015, at 12:53 PM
  • Throw us a bone Buck, throw us a bone

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Jan 19, 2015, at 12:57 PM

Ima throwin ima throwin haha! Mizzou at least racked up with the football recruits this weekend. I'm waiting for my bone in that area haha!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Jan 19, 2015, at 1:00 PM

UK's Devin Booker was named SEC Freshman of the Week for his games last week. That makes UK's total of 6 FOTW honors with all the freshman receiving at least 1. Booker and Towns have 2, and Ulis and Lyles have 1 a piece.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Jan 19, 2015, at 3:33 PM
  • Wow watta team!

Ur rite Buck, zou been doing well on the gridiron recruiting trail. Hopefully ur cats can get over the hump and go bowling next year!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Jan 20, 2015, at 10:30 AM

Its been a long time since I have seen a Mizzou team this bad :(

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Fri, Jan 23, 2015, at 12:32 PM

Well Kentucky just got a surprise commitment from 2016 New Zealand big man Tai Wynyard. He had a week long trip where he visited UK, Texas, and Villanova, and I guess he just decided to go ahead and commit. I heard that reclassifying to 2015 is a possibility, but he doesn't even turn 17 until next month.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Jan 25, 2015, at 12:55 PM

Fun fact about when Wynyard committee to Kentucky a few hours ago, it was 7AM Monday morning. That's how far he lives away haha.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Jan 25, 2015, at 2:20 PM

Thought this was a interesting fact (and I do think it's a bit different for basketball.

The Super Bowl will have no 5 star recruits starting. But will feature 20 starters with a 2 star or lower rating.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Jan 25, 2015, at 8:39 PM

Ah oh, looks like Craig Kuligowski could be headed out to Illinois. Y'all need to lock him up fast.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Jan 25, 2015, at 10:01 PM
  • Koogz just announced he's stayin!!!!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 5:03 PM

Oh that's a relief!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 5:15 PM
  • Now if we can just get commits from Bryant, kapita, Tatum and Porter all will be well in Zouland!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 9:08 PM

Yeah just small wishes like that haha

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 9:20 PM
  • Hey Buck any chance a sendn Kentucky Wesleyan to zou tomorrow nite? Im grovelling......

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 9:27 AM

hahaha too funny man!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 8:36 AM

Missouri AD Mike Alden is stepping away from his post, effective Aug. 31. What say you Mizzou peeps!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 4:40 PM
  • Hey buck for about 5 mins in the 2nd half the cats were gettn OWNED by Rosberg haha!! Monster two handed dunks heeheeee! Cant believe WCS had no pts til the end.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 10:34 AM
  • Aldens been there 17yrs which is unheard of these days. He's done an admirable job on the football side but unfortunately hadda rough time maintaining hoops. We are at rockbottom rite now. Maybe a new dude will help revive the hardwood tradition.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 10:38 AM

Yeah WCS had a real off night, but it happens, Karl played well though. And the Twins had their best SEC game so far.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 10:51 AM
  • Geez zou looked like every one of their players was a pygmy wading thru redwoods!! Coach Cal looked displeased mosta the nite but its hard for a team to get excited bout playing someone they beat by 50 two weeks prior!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 11:09 AM

Yeah most teams look that way when UK is the second tallest NBA team haha. Yeah that was just an ugly game all the way around. I believe there were more fouls called than Zou scored points. It was definitely the ref show last night.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 12:40 PM

Well we have the horrible way he fired Norm Stewart. Then he hired Quinn Snyder over the guy at Kansas which led to the college facing NCAA fines/penalties because of a loser in Ricky Clemons. The whole thing with selling the old arena and not naming the new court after Norm was a black-eye. Then he literally messed the back part of his pants when he panicked and hired Frank Haith. And my all time favorite--we are Big 10-wait, Big 12-wait, SEC! This is how I remember Alden at Mizzou.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 5:39 PM

Devin Booker wins his 4th straight SEC Freshman of the Week award, and his 5th overall. I think it would be a huge upset if he doesn't win SEC Freahman of the Year.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Feb 2, 2015, at 11:51 AM
  • Jolly i agree he's made mistakes but i tend to think he's been a good AD overall, Miklacz says it well:

Missouri director of athletics Mike Alden transformed MU sports, not only for the present, but for well into the future. Alden's hiring of Gary Pinkel led to Mizzou's belated reemergence as a successful football program, which led to an increase in financial donations, an extensive upgrade of sports facilities, a healthy bottom line and membership in the vaunted SEC. The men's basketball program has to get up to speed, but Mizzou's overall sports future is exceptionally bright.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Feb 3, 2015, at 12:35 PM

I would tend to lean toward Jolly Dump on this one Aldens tenure is very mixed at best alot of negatives for me.But i would have to acknoledge when you go on mizzou"s campus it is definitly been upgrading the facilities and that takes lots of dough!

-- Posted by porchswing on Tue, Feb 3, 2015, at 3:57 PM
  • I know this is a basketball forum but I don't care!!! Terry Beckner is coming to the zou!!!!

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Feb 4, 2015, at 10:04 AM
  • I agree with what dump and porchswing have said. However, because football is king and because of the fact is was such a dumpster fire before Pinkel was hired, Alden will probably always get a good grade for his overall performance as AD. He did hire Mike Anderson and the hiring of Kim Anderson will prove to be positive. But Quin and Frank were just plain bad hires.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Feb 4, 2015, at 10:26 AM
  • Alden is what he is. Mediocre AD at a mediocre school. He will be known just as much for not helping get his school to a final four or BCS bowl as he will be for sweeping all of the criminal things that has/are happening in the athletic department under the rug.

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Wed, Feb 4, 2015, at 10:42 AM
  • Gee Dr Hoops mediocre comn from you is quite the compliment! Zou's only in the top 5 for total football wins the last two years. Verrrrry mediocre.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Feb 4, 2015, at 11:05 AM
  • We knew the good Dr. would have to come in and **** on our Corn Flakes! haha

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Feb 4, 2015, at 12:08 PM

Mizzou suspends freshmen Montaque Gill-Caesar and Namon Wright for violation of team policy.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Feb 7, 2015, at 5:00 PM

So they will be without 3 players due to suspension tonight with Tramaine Isabell missing his third game. All but 4 of Mizzou's scholarship players have served some form of a suspension this year.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Feb 7, 2015, at 5:11 PM
  • What the heck is up with these players at Mizzou? Where the crap is Kim English and those guys? This team wont even win 10 games this year!!!

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Sat, Feb 7, 2015, at 8:09 PM
  • Poor KA looked like he would rather be anywhere than sitting next to the worst collection of talent ever assembled at his beloved alma mater. Ive never seen such horrible defense in all my life. I dont know how any top level recruit would wanna be a part of this train wreck. Gotta give Frank credit for having the foresight to get the heck outta Dodge.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sun, Feb 8, 2015, at 12:19 AM
  • Haith created this train wreck! He smelled the cesspool he was cooking up and he hightailed it to Tulsa. Give Tulsa 3 years and the same crap will be happening there.

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Sun, Feb 8, 2015, at 2:04 PM
  • Goodness I feel for KA being left with Haith's mess.

However, I have no doubt things will get better with him there. As a Norm guy he is holding the program to higher standards of discipline. Once he gets his guys in place things will head in the right direction.

It will take some time of course but I am looking forward to future success! !

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Feb 8, 2015, at 9:08 PM

Tatum keeps mentioning these 5 schools that are "recruiting him the hardest" aka high school speak for that's my top 5, and Mizzou isn't on that list. He has also said several times he wants to commit in November. So technically they would only have 9 months.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Feb 9, 2015, at 9:14 AM

I have a feeling that Karl Towns is going to win the Devin Booker SEC Freshman of the Week award haha and mess up his streak. No freshman had ever won it five times in a row. Devin has won 5 overall, I think the record is 6 overall (John Wall and Bradley Beal I believe). Unless Towns win SEC Player of the week and freshman goes to somebody else, I'm not real sure what they do when a freshman wins the POTW.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Feb 9, 2015, at 10:00 AM
  • Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Wait a minute there buddy!!!!!! Mr. Dean. There is absolutely ZERO comparison to the team that Kim Anderson inherited to the team Frank Haith inherited. Haith inherited a great senior class to be in Marcus Denmon, Kim English, Ricardo Ratliffe, Matt Pressey along with Flip Pressey and Mike Dixon. Each and everyone of those guys are light years ahead of the anyone on this years roster.

When Mike Anderson left it was recruiting for that next year that was effected. Frank Haith never re-stocked the roster adequately. Why do you think he ran for Tulsa?

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Mon, Feb 9, 2015, at 10:32 AM

Well Karl Towns just won the NBC National Player of the Week, so I you've got to assume he wins SEC Player of the Week. He averaged 17 points, 10.5 boards, 3 assists, and 2 blocks this week. Also remember that he is not averaging upper 30's in minutes like most stars, he is probably only averaging right above 20 minutes a game.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Feb 9, 2015, at 10:33 AM

Haith didn't recruit high character guys either. Yeah Haith is just as much to blame as anyone in my opinion. And I believe much of the heat he got for the transfers was warranted. You can't build a program around those guys, you have to have the young guys to build around, and some of Haith transfers again were not high character, got suspended, or didn't even play for Mizzou.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Feb 9, 2015, at 11:14 AM
  • Hey Buck areya feelin more confident now about possibly goin undefeated headn into the Dance? Gatorlands a tuff place to play and you survived! Nothings certain obviously but by playin ten players ya dont hafta worry about a starting five going cold. The next five'll come in and pickup the slack!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Feb 9, 2015, at 11:39 AM

I'm still a little worried haha. We have LSU @ LSU next, tough place to play, and again it looks like we will be without started Trey Lyles for the 3rd straight game due to illness (That's really been killing us on the boards against Georgia and FL, and getting the offense going to, I'll certainly be ready for him to come back). So we still got a couple tough ones, and I still don't think we go undefeated haha, but I'm enjoying the exciting season! Did you see Cauley-Stein's dunk Saturday!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Feb 9, 2015, at 11:57 AM
  • I would not want to be undefeated going into the dance if I were Kentucky.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Mon, Feb 9, 2015, at 12:07 PM

To tell you the truth, me either jwhitlock. Even though they have been tested, I'm not one of these fans that's going to freak out if they lose a game.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Feb 9, 2015, at 12:10 PM
  • I saw the dunk!! How was that humanly possible!!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Feb 9, 2015, at 12:21 PM

I don't even know! I've only done that a couple of times myself haha.

And... Karl Towns didn't win either SEC player or freshman of the week. So I will no longer follow their awards because obviously they are a complete joke.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Feb 9, 2015, at 12:37 PM

Are you joking Buck?

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Mon, Feb 9, 2015, at 2:58 PM

About which part man!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Feb 9, 2015, at 2:59 PM

So I will admit that I am fascinated with Kim Anderson right now. I wonder how long he will keep suspending players when its costing the team victories. While college coaches are also teachers, they also need to be winning games.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Mon, Feb 9, 2015, at 3:07 PM

I'm hearing that Wright and Teki did not travel to South Carolina for the game tonight.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Feb 10, 2015, at 4:56 PM
  • I say he starts recruiting players that actually have a conscience and at least know how to represent the university in a mature and intelligent way. That may not be possible in this day and age of win at all costs, integrity be damned. But i will always admire him if he gives it a shot. Im tired of idiots "representing" my alma mater.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Feb 10, 2015, at 5:20 PM

Looks like Wes Clark is out for the rest of the year.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Feb 10, 2015, at 10:38 PM
  • Mizzou will not another game for the rest of the year.

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Tue, Feb 10, 2015, at 11:29 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: