Semoball

High School Baseball Forum: Top 10 SEMO pitchers (seniors)

Posted by baseballfan2010 on Sun, Apr 11, 2010, at 5:24 PM:

I have already posted my top 5 pitchers in Stoddard County. Now I will attempt to rank my opinion of the best 10 senior pitchers in southeast missouri.

1. Tyler Thompson RHP (South Pemiscot)

2. Quinton Stevens RHP (Bernie)

3. Colton Young RHP (Notre Dame)

4. Cody Stause LHP (Dexter)

5. Trey Bazzell LHP (Kennett)

6. Heath Horvath RHP (Senath-Hornersville)

7. Chris Kirkpatrick LHP (Clearwater)

8. John Smith LHP (Puxico)

9. Skylar Cobb LHP (Scott City)

10.Sheldon Edmundson RHP (Neelyville)

Replies (116)

• I was not trying to do this but I just realized that I conveniently came up with 5 lefties and 5 righties for my top 10 senior pitchers in southeast missouri. LOL

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Sun, Apr 11, 2010, at 5:26 PM
  • I think this is pretty good. But the Morris kid from Clearwater belongs above some of these pitchers but I'm not going to mention names. I'm also guessing Sikeston and Cape Central have pitchers that belong in this list. But I haven't watched Sikeston and Cape Central. Therefore, I cannot back this up with names. But I think you did a really good job with this. I wouldn't have felt comfortable ranking the pitchers myself because I don't feel like I know enough about baseball to rank high school pitchers. It's hard to say how pitchers from small schools would perform against large schools and how pitchers from large schools would perform against small schools.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Apr 11, 2010, at 5:50 PM
  • I would have had Morris around the #5 or 6 spot if he were a senior but he is only a junior. I was only making this ranking for seniors.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Sun, Apr 11, 2010, at 5:59 PM
  • Draw

Feel free to mention names, that is why I made this ranking was to see what other people thought about it.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Sun, Apr 11, 2010, at 6:00 PM
  • baseballfan2010

I'm uncomfortable ranking students. I just try to stay away from the topic. There may not be anything wrong with it but I try to avoid saying this student is better than this student. They are just kids. I think we forget this sometimes. Granted if they are headed to a college to play they need to learn how to handle people talking about them on blogs. Nevertheless, I think we should exercise extreme caution when discussing high school students in blogs, public forums and articles.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Apr 11, 2010, at 6:36 PM
  • baseballfan2010

I think what you did is fine. I don't see anything wrong with ranking them one through 10 and putting a number beside them. But I hope this doesn't lead to additional comments about people saying this player is better than this player because of _______________ and there is no way this kid should be ranked about this kid etc.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Apr 11, 2010, at 6:39 PM
  • Oh, well I did not mean to downgrade them by any means. I just meant feel free to mention whoever you would replace Morris with if he were a senior.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Sun, Apr 11, 2010, at 6:42 PM
  • Draw

You are probably right. However, I look at the list of players that I have ranked and I see that everyone one of them is going to be playing baseball at the college level next year so I dont see how this could be a big problem. But I do understand your reasoning.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Sun, Apr 11, 2010, at 6:48 PM
  • baseballfan2010

I know. And I really like your rankings. I think it's ok to rank them one to 10. It might even be ok to share why you think one pitcher should be above another pitcher. But I hope other forum posters remember they are just kids. Be nice to them.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Apr 11, 2010, at 6:53 PM
  • I hope so too. I did not make this forum for people to downgrade the student athletes. I made it to show people who I thought should make the list and for anyone to share their opinions and let me know if I should or should not have ranked someone.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Sun, Apr 11, 2010, at 6:58 PM
  • baseballfan2010

I think you did a really good job. They look fairly accurate. I would to see other forum posters rank the pitchers and make positive comments about the pitchers.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Apr 11, 2010, at 7:00 PM
  • I know some posters might question my choosing of the last 3 spots on my top 10. I have seen each of them pitch. All 3 have very good stuff and have shown good potential.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Sun, Apr 11, 2010, at 7:06 PM
  • Call all your friends and tell them to join me in the professional sports forums right now. Talk about the Cardinals game with drawmules!!!

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Apr 11, 2010, at 7:23 PM
  • great list

-- Posted by Kidrayray on Sun, Apr 11, 2010, at 7:36 PM
  • One pitcher that I seem to have forgot that is probably worthy of making this list is Cody Kennedy LHP from Meadow Heights.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 7:54 AM
  • Logan Edwards from Cooter although he had an arm injury in the fall, is still a top pitcher in SEMO.

-- Posted by badams2s on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 8:29 AM
  • Good list bad order - it is very hard to compare players from different class levels.

-- Posted by RedDogs on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 1:15 PM
  • Same kids different order

1. Young ND

2. Thompson SP

3. Stause Dex

4. Kirkpatrick Clearwater

5. Bazzel Ken

6. Stevens Ber

7. Horvath Sen-Horn

8. Cobb SC

9. Smith Pux

10. Edmundson Neely

I've seen all these kids throw with the exception of Thompson. Heard lots of good things about him.

-- Posted by Kidrayray on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 1:32 PM
  • I agree for the most part

-- Posted by baseballfanatic1000 on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 1:44 PM
  • i would change the order around a little

1. Thompson (SP)

2.Stause( Dexter)

3. Young (ND)

4. Stevens ( Bernie()

5. Kirkpatrick (Clearwater)

6. Smith ( Puxico)

7. Horvath( Sen- Horn)

8. Bazzel (Ken.)

9 Cobb (SC)

10 Edmundson (Neelyville)

Ive never seen Bazzel from Kennet throw, nor have a seen Cobb from SC throw. I am putting the smith kid from Puxico #6, because if he had a decent defense behind him he would be even higher up than that. He has a good fastball 82-84, a good changeup and a decent curveball. Not to take anything away from the puxico team, but they cant play defense behind him. The game i watched smith throw in the SCAA tourney against Woodland the Puxico team made around 10 errors behind him. I just feel that the smith kid has really good stuff, and a pitcher cant do anything but make a good pitch, and seemed like he made plenty of good pitches to me. I am putting the Stevens kid #4, because he has a lights out fastball anywhere from 86-89. The Stevens kid would be even higher up on my list if he had another dominant pitch to go along with his fastball. The Stevens kid locates his fastball very well. The Stause kid from Dexter has 2-3 dominate pitches that is why I put him #2 on my list. Throws 83-85 , a nasty off speed pitch as well. Im sure that there are a few good senior pitchers that we have left of the list. Dont know anything about the Edwards kid from Cooter.

-- Posted by baseballfanatic1000 on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 2:04 PM
  • I have seen Cobb,Young,Stause, and Bazzel pitch, and Bazzel is the best by a long shot. If Bazzel pitched at ND with their defense, he would not lose a game.He is a lefty that throws in the low 90's and very good control.

-- Posted by tlks2much on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 4:21 PM
  • I seen Bazzell throw last summer and he threw well, but he certainly does not throw low 90s. When I seen him throw he was 85 tops. Big difference between that and low 90s.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 5:29 PM
  • I've never seen bazzel throw close to 90. Very good potcher regardless

-- Posted by ndsportsfan on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 8:15 PM
  • ndsportsfan

I completely agree, Bazzell is a good pitcher. However, everytime I have seen him throw, he has not been anywhere near 90 and I think if he were throwing low 90s than major league scouts would be watching him pretty closely being a lefty.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 9:06 PM
  • I agree Bazzell was around 84-85 the few time I seen him. I have seen Stevens be good and I have seen him struggle. Seems to be more of a thrower. I think while a few others don't throw as hard, they are better pitchers. Anyway, this is good talk. All these kids are worthy of recognition.

-- Posted by Kidrayray on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 10:10 PM
  • Yes, I believe that Bazzell, Kirkpatrick, and Smith are very similar when it comes to velocity. 3 high quality left-handed pitchers, thats for sure.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Wed, Apr 21, 2010, at 10:15 PM
  • Bazzell has hit low 90's,but mostly around mid to high 80's. Does anyone know if he is pitching against ND on Friday?

-- Posted by tlks2much on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 9:21 AM
  • If Bazzell hits low 90s, major league scouts would be all over him being a left handed pitcher.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 2:04 PM
  • The only pitchers on this list that has hit 90 that I know of is Thompson and Stevens

-- Posted by player25 on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 2:53 PM
  • Yes, Thompson I heard is consistently around 90, topping out at 92. Stevens can top out 90 every once and a while but most of the time he is upper 80s. The last time I saw Bazzell throw, Stevens was definitely faster. Therefore, not to take anything away from Bazzell, he does not throw 90.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 3:32 PM
  • Young from Notre Dame can hit in the 90's, or he did when he was a closer 2 years ago

-- Posted by semo2014 on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 6:05 PM
  • I have not seen Young pitch, I just heard a lot about him so I put him on my rankings.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 6:16 PM
  • Last time I heard, he was mid 80s but that could have been when he was starting. Makes sense to throw harder when you are closing instead of starting.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, Apr 22, 2010, at 9:08 PM
  • Young does not throw 90's He hits mid 80's...been documented and gunned at many showcases, ...he's 85-86 regularly

-- Posted by Headhunt on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 1:37 AM
  • Thanks headhunt.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 1:53 AM
  • That is originally what I have heard about him, just wanted to make sure.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Fri, Apr 23, 2010, at 6:34 AM
  • What about ranking the top 10 pitchers in Southeast Missouri regardless of what grade...I think I would go

1. Thompson (Sp)

2. Morris (Clearwater

3. Young (ND)

4. Bazzel (Kennett)

5. Stause( Dexter)

6. Stevens ( Bernie)

7. Kirkpatrick (Clearwater)

8. Horvath( Senath)

9. Stockton (Twin River)

10. Cobb (Scott City)

-- Posted by player25 on Sun, Apr 25, 2010, at 11:29 AM
  • 1. Bazzel

2. Thompson

3. Young

4. Stockton

5. Morris

6. Stevens

7. Jordan Anderson (Cooter)

8. Cobb

9. Stause

10.Kirkpatrick

One old guys opinion, means nothing

-- Posted by semo-dude on Sun, Apr 25, 2010, at 1:04 PM
  • Bazzell should definitely be in the rankings. I was very impressed with what I saw on Friday.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Apr 25, 2010, at 1:14 PM
  • Have seen all these kids throw. No one in southeast missouri throws in the low 90s. Young beat Bazzell and Thompson (last year) so you can't put Bazzell or Thompson above Young. Stause's velocity is better this year but walks alot and throws a lot of pitches. Bazell struggles throwing strikes of the stretch.

1. Young

2. Thompson

3. Bazell

3. Stause

4. Naile (jr) Charleston

5. Hiett Notre Dame

Haven't seen the rest of the kids throw.

-- Posted by baseballsemo on Sun, Apr 25, 2010, at 1:17 PM
  • I believe Tyler Ansderson of Sikeston (fr) is 3-0, with 2 complete game shutouts. Keep an eye out for him and the sophmore hurler, McMillian, as well.

Naile is pretty good, I think Stause is one of the two best.

-- Posted by Bulldogs2010 on Sun, Apr 25, 2010, at 3:16 PM
  • Has Stause decided on where he is going to go college next year?

-- Posted by player25 on Sun, Apr 25, 2010, at 3:50 PM
  • I have heard that he is indecisive on where he is going right now. I have also heard that he has had plenty of offers just not sure on which one to choose. I was not told which colleges were offering him either.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Sun, Apr 25, 2010, at 5:41 PM
  • On the rankings (regardless of what grade), you could also make a case for Andrew Dooley from Chaffee.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 1:14 PM
  • Josh Boese (jr)from SCC is now 5-0

-- Posted by SCC1990 on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 1:20 PM
  • For the ones that was asking where the Stause kid is going to go to school. He has decided to stay local and go to TRCC next year.

-- Posted by baseballnut on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 2:59 PM
  • Its good to hear that TRCC is picking up a couple local kids for once. Seems like they dont pick up too many local kids anymore these days. Congrats to Stause, he is well deserving!

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, Apr 29, 2010, at 7:04 PM
  • Don't bring Josh boese's name into a top pitchers discussion, he's very solid for Scott county but he thows mid to high 70's.. I played high school ball recenly an faced most of these pitchers the stevens kid at the end of last season was the third hardest pitcher I had faced and ge was pobably around 83.. Modglin was a legit 90 and simmons was upper 80's the talk of this bazzell kid throwing low 90's is absurd.. I don't think most o you realize what 90 looks like in a batters box.. You barley see the ball.. If u see a kid throwing unbelievable it's probly 85 tops.

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 9:09 AM
  • I have not seen many of these pitchers, but having said that, I would consider putting Cobb towards the middle of the ten instead of the bottom, and probably move Young towards the middle or end of the ten.

The hard throwing Woodland kid might be worth mentioning too.

Interesting to think about switching some of these kids around to different teams. Would Young be as effective on a smaller school? How good would Cobb be on a larger school pitching against better teams BUT having a better defense, better bats, etc?

IF,IF, IF. We can only go with what we have!

-- Posted by GreatFun on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 9:28 AM
  • Cobb throws right around 80.. He's nothing to special except he's a lefty.. N Idk I you know this but Scott city is a good team with good bats.. Colton young is the cream o the crop when it comes to pitchers this year. No kid yourself he's the best pitcher around here

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 9:31 AM
  • Scott City is a sleeper. Admittedly, I don't know much about their #2 pitcher, but just reading about them here and there gives me the impression that they have played some larger and very good schools closely. On the right day, perhaps they could pull off the big upset over, DARE I SAY.....Clearwater??????

-- Posted by GreatFun on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 9:37 AM
  • iownthesec.... I agree with you. Colton is top pitcher in SEMO

-- Posted by SCC1990 on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 10:32 AM
  • Scott city can definately beat Clearwater, don't know how much baseball all of us have played but a break here n a bounce there decides nearly 50 % of comparably even talented teams

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 10:39 AM
  • A little bit dramatic there Greatfun. Clearwater is a good team and currently undefeated, but Scott City and all those teams in class 2 district 1 are good teams. In Class 3..Kennnet could in fact pull off an upset..do I dare say?....Notre Dame.

-- Posted by hardball on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 7:01 PM
  • hey i own the secondary your smart huh?? you don't know shi>>> bazzell was gunned in the upper 80s in college camp this fall. man with eyes as sharp as yours we are surprised you lower yourself to such a common site. quit cutting kids down!! who in the heck do you think you are anyway!!! get a life!!!

-- Posted by long ago on Fri, May 7, 2010, at 10:35 PM
  • Long ago- go to reading class, I never cut a kid down, I said the boese kid was a good pitcher for what Scott county normally has and that's probably why you see the turn around in their baseball program, not to mention he knocks the cover off the ball.. And I said bazzell didn't throw low 90's, u just said it yourself that in a college camp, IN THE SUMMER, he hit upper 80's.. When summer rolls around you can usually add 2-4 mph to every put hers average speed of his fastball, their arms are in the best shape that they have been all season and the heat helps them get warm quicker, all common baseball facts.. I'm just stating the truth, bazzell I'm sure is a great pitcher but turn on a college baseball game them pitchers throw 85-88 all game, so saying a kid throws mid 80's is quite a compliment

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sat, May 8, 2010, at 7:46 AM
  • I said this once already and I guess I will say it again, I seen Bazzell throw last summer and he was 85 at his best, mostly low 80s. However, he is still a good pitcher regardless.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Sat, May 8, 2010, at 9:08 AM
  • iownthesecondary, no one said it was a summer camp but you. read my comment it said fall. long after summerball. regardless,we all have opinions and thats good as long as it doesn't come at the expense of the kids who are being talked about on this site. alot of kids read these comments and therefore all of us have a responsibility to be respectful.. all in fun!! its great to watch such a talented group of boys as there currently is in southeast missouri!!!!!

-- Posted by long ago on Sat, May 8, 2010, at 9:30 AM
  • player25,

Cody Stause signed with 3 Rivers last week.

-- Posted by Luke11 on Sat, May 8, 2010, at 7:09 PM
  • I heard Thompson hit 91 today vs clearwater. Is there any truth to this?

-- Posted by player25 on Sat, May 8, 2010, at 8:23 PM
  • I also heard Morris hit 89 in the same game. Is this true?

-- Posted by hardball on Sat, May 8, 2010, at 8:34 PM
  • Is this a joke? Stause, young, bazzel, and Cobb are in a whole different category. I'd love to see Kirkpatrick, Morris, or even Thompson play some decent hitting teams with a lineup that can hit the ball from one to nine, not just the top half of the order. Put those schools on ND, cape central, Jackson, and kennetts schuedule and it will be a joke. They wouldn't be in the running. Just go back and look wen the small schools play the big ones they get lit up. Doesn't matter if they lose because a good pitcher will lose because of offense or defense at a small school, but when they give up hits in the double digits it's a whole different ball game. When the small schools have credentials then talk....

-- Posted by ct10 on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 11:28 AM
  • Thompson only lost to Kennett 2-1 this year and only 1 run was earned and he only gave up 4 hits so i dont see how you can take him outta this group and say he isnt one of the best pitchers in the area

-- Posted by jamestheman2020 on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 11:41 AM
  • ct10, are you saying Morris and Kirkpatrick can't pitch? And yes from what I heard, Thompson hit 91 and Morris hit 89. Thompson was a consistent 88-89 with some 90's from what I heard.

-- Posted by RainmanC2010 on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 11:43 AM
  • Hey ct10...the Morris kid is a Junior, not a senior. Seems to me someone that has the ability to judge pitchers to your degree would have known that.....

-- Posted by hardball on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 11:45 AM
  • I dont think you can judge a pitcher on the teams they face. Morris, Kirkpatrick and Thompson cant help the team they face they just go out there and pitch against them. They dont get to do the schedule so i dont think that should be a deciding factor about them being a top pitcher.

-- Posted by jamestheman2020 on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 11:51 AM
  • Your exactly right you can't judge so there shouldn't be overall rankings. And I don't care who hits "91" or "89" and I never said they can't pitch either, just saying I'd like to see them throw against some good hitters. Let's not forget about the "decent" large school pitchers who don't have a great record but throw good against great teams and don't get a win, or who do get wins against good teams and don't have 13 k's because teir throwing against good hitters.

-- Posted by ct10 on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 12:57 PM
  • Who are the talented sophmore pitchers in this area?

-- Posted by LeeSummitBooster on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 3:21 PM
  • Who are the talented sophmore pitchers in this area?

-- Posted by LeeSummitBooster on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 3:21 PM
  • Naylor has a soph that's a pretty good pitcher. I've seen him twice this year against Twin Rivers and Neelyville. In those 2 games he only gave up 1 earned run. He doesn't throw real hard but he knows how to pitch.

-- Posted by truebaseballfan on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 4:03 PM

Lest we forget Jamie Pickel from Cape Central and the freshman from Sikeston that gave the Dawgs 3rd place at the conference tourney.

-- Posted by vincebrown on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 4:08 PM
  • Yes, Naylor's Cory Kovach is not bad either, he is only a junior I believe.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 4:15 PM
  • I haven't seen the Kovach kid pitch. Do you know the name of the soph from Naylor?

-- Posted by truebaseballfan on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 4:24 PM
  • truebaseballfan

is he a lefty?

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 4:40 PM
  • If it is a lefty, his name is Dalton Woolard. I am not sure of anybody else on Naylors team.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 5:45 PM
  • ct10, are you getting mad because everyone here thinks that Kirkpatrick and Morris, and some of theses other small school pitchers are good? Noone here said that they were better than bigger school pitchers. They just said they are good.

-- Posted by RainmanC2010 on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 6:27 PM
  • i faced logan morris in the summer and he throws in the low 80's hitting the mid-80's on some pitches. Definitely not 89

-- Posted by ctjungle11 on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 6:47 PM
  • Morris is a 83-85 guy, don't think he's hit 89 yet.

-- Posted by MU_Tigers on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 7:16 PM
  • MU_Tigers

The scout I talked to on Saturday said he hit 86.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, May 10, 2010, at 10:57 PM
  • I wonder how the rumor of him hitting 89 got out....or if the gun that the valle catholic coach was using on him is not accurate.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Tue, May 11, 2010, at 7:22 AM
  • The Woodard kid from Naylor is going to be ok. He has a real good grasp of how to pitch. Has a fastball, good curve and a really good change. Which is tough coming from a left hander. If he develops some more arm strength he could be really tough.

-- Posted by Kidrayray on Tue, May 11, 2010, at 8:11 AM
  • Speaking of left handed pitchers, what are your guys top5 left-handed pitchers regardless of grade?

Here are mine----

1.Stause (Dexter)

2.Kirkpatrick( Clearwater)

3.Smith (Puxico)

4. Kennedy(Meadow Hts)

5. Bazzel(Kennett)

Woodard does have good stuff, may be something to watch if he develops.

What do you guys think? Im sure i left some good left-handed pitchers off the list that might be on yours.

-- Posted by baseballfanatic1000 on Tue, May 11, 2010, at 8:55 AM
  • Skylar Cobb of Scott City probably deserves to be in the top 5 left handed pitchers.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Tue, May 11, 2010, at 8:59 AM
  • Cody Kennedy of Meadow Heights

Lefty

Throws in mid 80s

6-2 W/L

94K 9BB for the year

10 Pickoffs

Pitched 8 complete games

Batted .407

How is this guy not mention or known in this area?

The "Cape/Jackson/NotreDame Missourian" doesn't get down here much.

-- Posted by TIDAL on Tue, May 11, 2010, at 9:11 AM
  • Small School?????

-- Posted by tlks2much on Tue, May 11, 2010, at 11:03 AM
  • Meadow Heights is in the same district at the following teams:

Scott City

Charleston

East Prarie

St. Vincent

Saxony

Kelly

Woodland

-- Posted by TIDAL on Tue, May 11, 2010, at 11:22 AM
  • Tidal i have him as part of my top 5

-- Posted by baseballfanatic1000 on Tue, May 11, 2010, at 12:31 PM

GreatFun talking about Scott City earlier their number 2 is Jamie Scholz not sure about the spelling of his last name, he is 6-0 and has pretty good stuff, fastball, curveball, changeup

-- Posted by cerebral1 on Tue, May 11, 2010, at 12:36 PM
  • Thanks cerebral1, I was wondering about their # 2. Nice record. I am sure he is sound.

All of this talk in this thread about younger pitchers and I haven't seen ANY mention of an ND pitcher that is a soph or junior. Looks like they better hit the recruiting trail ;o). They've got their work cut out for them.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Tue, May 11, 2010, at 12:52 PM
  • TIDAL

Cody Stause, Chris Kirkpatrick, John Smith, Trey Bazzell, and Cody Kennedy are all lefties and throw in the mid 80s as well.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Tue, May 11, 2010, at 5:17 PM
  • Not that I'm partial or anything, but I think Bret Thomas should be mentioned as one of the better pitcher's in the area. throws in the lower to mid 80s 6-1 record with average defense below average offense.

-- Posted by oak ridge fan on Wed, May 12, 2010, at 7:44 AM
  • I agree, I inadvertently just forgot about him simply because I have not got the chance to personally see him pitch recently. Therefore, I had to go with the pitchers that I personally have had the privilege to see throw. However, he is a junior but he should have been mentioned on the top pitchers (regardless of grade) list.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Wed, May 12, 2010, at 7:51 AM
  • Can we talk about some big schools because there are about 5 people that acctually care about pitchers from podunk towns like clearwater or neelyville..i dont even know were those towns are...lets talk about class 3 and 4 please

-- Posted by gocardinals987 on Thu, May 13, 2010, at 10:29 PM

Exactly. example a- central beat malden today 19-3. did i say beat? more like they took a dump on them. thats why you cant compare small schools and their talent to big schools

-- Posted by JungleStud on Thu, May 13, 2010, at 10:33 PM
  • jungle people

Nobody is preventing anyone from talking about large schools. Talk away. But the small schools have their place on the forums. Class 1 and Class 2 schools shouldn't be able to compete with Class 4 schools like Cape Central.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, May 13, 2010, at 10:42 PM
  • Who are these jungle jokers?? They need to keep their yaps closed so to speak. They have no idea what Clearwater is capable of, 23-0 this spring says it all! It doesn't matter where you are from, talent is talent, and Clearwater is loaded with it!

-- Posted by tooldogging on Thu, May 13, 2010, at 10:55 PM
  • LOL tooldogging be nice to The Jungle. They are really nice. They just don't know where Clearwater and Neelyville are and you cannot blame them for that.

Clearwater is legitimate. They have the pitching depth to compete with the larger schools.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, May 13, 2010, at 11:08 PM

I'm embarrassed to say, but I don't know where any of the small schools are but the site IS named Semoball.com so they should be able to examine, brag, and just generally comment on their teams as well.

-- Posted by sbulldog4life on Thu, May 13, 2010, at 11:18 PM
  • sbulldog4life

I know where all of the small schools and large schools are LOL. I'm going to look over my files at the end of the season. I think I have made at least one trip to 50 of the 58 semoball schools. I wonder if anyone else has done that? I enjoy visiting all of the semoball schools. I think all of the schools deserve attention.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, May 13, 2010, at 11:33 PM
  • Guys, I made this thread to talk about the pitchers in our area, lets try to stay on topic please.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Fri, May 14, 2010, at 7:36 AM
  • Now that pitchers are seeing post-season teams who are winning and advancing, we are given the unique chance to see which of these pitchers are rising to the occasion against better teams. Whose stock is rising right now and whose is falling?

Cobb's stock has definitely risen, as well as Colton Young's.

Bazzell's has dipped slightly. His proneness to walks was a factor yesterday, although that ND lineup is relentless top to bottom and therefore there are no 'breathers.'

How about Stause? Did he pitch the semi's game against Kennett?

Curious to see what comes from the Clearwater/Twin Rivers pitching matchup, those guys are also in most people's list.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Thu, May 20, 2010, at 8:35 AM
  • Now that I have some of these pitchers pitch in districts, i will now rank again the top 10 seniors pitchers again.

1. Thompson ( SP)

2. Young (ND)

3. Stevens ( Bernie)

4. Kirkpatrick ( Clearwater

5. Stause ( Dexter)

6 Cobb SC)

7. Bazzel ( Kennet)

8 Smith (Puxico)

9. Kennedy(MH)

10.Horvath (Senath- H)

The next on my list would be Edmundson from Neelyville.

-- Posted by baseballfanatic1000 on Thu, May 20, 2010, at 9:06 AM
  • Here is how I would go now:

1. Colton Young

2. Tyler Thompson

3. Trey Bazzell

4. Skylar Cobb

5. Quinton Stevens

6. Cody Stause

7. Cody Kennedy

8. Chris Kirkpatrick

9. John Smith

10. Heath Horvath

I have realized that Young faces stiffer competition than Thomspon. Therefore, he deserves to be considered the top pitcher in SEMO.

Skylar Cobb jumped in my rankings because he not only just threw a perfect game against Kelly but he has shown me a lot this whole season. Seems to me that he has done consistently well all spring with his pitching.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, May 20, 2010, at 10:57 AM
  • baseballfan 2010

Does this list include seniors only? Clearwater has a talented junior that pitches. Have you seen him?

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, May 20, 2010, at 11:57 AM
  • Drawmules

Yes, the list is just seniors. Otherwise, Logan Morris from Clearwater and possibly Garrett Stockton from Twin Rivers would be on my list.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, May 20, 2010, at 12:03 PM
  • Does anybody know how good of a pitcher Conner Scott from East Prairie is? If so, does anybody know what kind of velocity he has? He seems like he has that good pitchers body that colleges will love to see.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Mon, May 31, 2010, at 12:02 PM
  • baseballfan2010

Saw him pitch for the cherokees last summer pretty good pitcher.

-- Posted by oak ridge fan on Mon, May 31, 2010, at 12:47 PM
  • oak ridge fan

Do you know how hard he throws?

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Mon, May 31, 2010, at 2:03 PM
  • Connor Scott tops out at about 80 mph. His velocity really has not increased much over the last few years.

-- Posted by deadred on Mon, May 31, 2010, at 6:42 PM
  • 1.Tyler Thompson

2.skylar cobb

3.colton young

4.Longan edwards

5.Quinton stevens

6.trey Bazzel

7.Jordan Anderson

8.Johnthan Boone

9.Andrew dooley

10.Zach watkins

I know all of these arent seniors but this is who i think

-- Posted by Oldbaseball on Mon, May 31, 2010, at 7:11 PM
  • I really dont think that Cooter has 4 pitchers that deserve to be among the top 10 pitchers in SEMO. Maybe 1 or 2, but certainly not 4.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Mon, May 31, 2010, at 9:14 PM
  • well watkins is a strech but he is almost un touchable for 2 innings anderson is a force when he has his contorll boone and edwards deffently deserve to be in there coach crawford has touaght them well what i seen there pitchers is the glue that holds that team togeather

-- Posted by Oldbaseball on Mon, May 31, 2010, at 9:33 PM
  • That may be true but all 4 of them are not top 10 caliber pitchers.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Tue, Jun 1, 2010, at 6:46 AM
  • If they really have 4 of the top 10 pitchers in any class in SEMO, being in Class 1, they should walk through the State tournament. If that were true, there wouldn't be any doubt that they will win state. However, I haven't seen them pitch so I can't offer much of an opinion on their level of pitching.

-- Posted by sportsaholic on Tue, Jun 1, 2010, at 1:14 PM
  • Sportsaholic is correct, most of the top pitchers will throw 85 + and throw it in a shoe box. Along with a good defense they will not lose many high school games. Edwards before the injury had about 5 or 6 no hitters (mostly against class 1 and 2). I'm pretty sure he's only lost 4 games in 4 years. He was 10-0 before losing last years' 3rd place game 2-1. Boone has a couple of perfect games. Both of them have a few games allowing less than 3 hits. Anderson is up and coming and has a shot to be very good. We don't pitch Zach alot due to his defense at shortstop. I think if you were listing the top 10 Class 1/2 pitchers in semo, they may fit in somewhere, maybe not at the top, but I/ll take'em.

-- Posted by mac baseball on Tue, Jun 1, 2010, at 4:37 PM
  • Mac Baseball

Good point, I have seen all of the pitchers in my rankings pitch before and all of them are at least topping out at 85.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Tue, Jun 1, 2010, at 6:16 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: