Semoball

High School Baseball Forum: SCAA tournament seeds

Posted by baseballfan2010 on Tue, Apr 13, 2010, at 7:57 PM:

The seeds have not came out yet but I just wanted to see your guys take on who gets seeded where in this tournament.

Here is mine:

1. Bernie

2. Advance

3. Bell City

4. Woodland

5. Bloomfield

6. Puxico

7. Richland

Replies (29)

• baseballfan2010

Do you have any records or results for how the teams have performed against each other?

Bernie is the No. 1 seed. Richland is the No. 7 seed.

Teams 2-6 could probably be seededd in any order. Here is how I would seed the teams without the head to head results.

1. Bernie

2. Bell City

3. Bloomfield

4. Woodland

5. Puxico

6. Advance

7. Richland

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Apr 13, 2010, at 8:11 PM
  • Note: I think Bernie will have a very good chance to win this tournament even if they elect to pitch their ace against Senath on Monday and use other pitchers in the semifinals and the finals of the tournament. In my opinion, this is a weak conference outside of Bernie. Bell City and Puxico have respectable pitchers. However, Bernie's hitting is better than the other teams. Nevertheless, Bell City upset Bernie in this tournament last year. Anything can happen in a high school baseball game.

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Apr 13, 2010, at 8:22 PM
  • Bloomfield should be given more consideration. Bloomfield is 2-0 in county and 4-3 overall

-- Posted by wildcatbaseballfan on Tue, Apr 13, 2010, at 8:28 PM
  • wildcatbaseballfan

I gave Bloomfield a No. 3 seed. Bell City has some big wins.

I do think Bloomfield has an outstanding chance to win the regular season game against Bernie this Thursday. Bernie has four really big games on Friday and Saturday. They have to save pitching for the big tournament they are in this weekend. I don't know if they will elect to pitch one of their big name pitchers on Thursday or pitch all of their big name pitchers one or two innings against Bloomfield. I anticipate Bernie's No. 1 priority will be saving pitching for Charleston, Cooter and Malden in the weekend tournament. But it's hard to say for sure. Nevertheless, if Bloomfield pitches their ace on Thursday they will have a shot.

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Apr 13, 2010, at 8:32 PM
  • The only thing that may hurt Bloomfield in the tournament is lack of experience. Bernie does deserve the number one seed and is the likely favorite to win the tournament.

-- Posted by wildcatbaseballfan on Tue, Apr 13, 2010, at 8:37 PM

Bloomfield plays baseball?

-- Posted by Joe Raider on Tue, Apr 13, 2010, at 8:56 PM
  • LOL Joe Raider are you really the mascot of the Three Rivers Raiders?

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Apr 13, 2010, at 9:04 PM
  • I think Puxico has only played one game. The only one posted is a 5-4 loss to Woodland. The box score said that Neil Johnson and John Smith went at it on the mound. The box score also says Puxico had 6 errors. Sounds like Woodland capitalized on those errors considering the fact that they only had 3 hits (according to the box score).

I also found a box score saying that Bell City beat Woodland 9-8?? (Not sure on the score)

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Tue, Apr 13, 2010, at 9:19 PM
  • Does anyone know when the seeds come out?

-- Posted by wildcatbaseballfan on Tue, Apr 13, 2010, at 9:22 PM
  • I think they are supposed to come out Thursday but I am not for sure.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Tue, Apr 13, 2010, at 9:34 PM
  • I've seen 5 of these teams in action this year. Seeding is tough because, except for Bernie, each team has 1 really good pitcher and, depending on when he pitches, anyone could win any game. Bernie has multiple good pitchers so that makes them the favorite. However, Bernie is susceptible to good pitching just like the others. Here is how I would seed them.

1. Bernie

2. Woodland

3. Puxico

4. Bell City

5. Bloomfield

6. Advance

7. Richland

-- Posted by deadred on Wed, Apr 14, 2010, at 7:44 AM
  • People actually go to high school baseball games? Do they pay to get in? I mean, out? I mean...

-- Posted by Pwilcox on Wed, Apr 14, 2010, at 8:15 AM
  • Puxico a 3? I think they are 0-1 in the conference but that is also the only game they have played so far this spring.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Wed, Apr 14, 2010, at 8:17 AM
  • Puxico is #3 because I think their stud pitcher is the 3rd best of any of those teams studs. Bernie has 2-3 good pitchers. Woodland has Johnson who, given some run support, could beat any of the other teams on any given day, including Bernie. Puxico's loss was to Woodland when Johnson and Smith went head to head and I think it was a 1 run game? Bell City, Bloomfield, and Advance #1 pitchers are all beatable on any given day, as seen by watching the boxscores.

-- Posted by deadred on Wed, Apr 14, 2010, at 10:15 AM
  • I agree, I have seen Smith and Johnson pitch. Both seem to have good stuff. I would consider the Smith kid a little tougher to hit because he is left handed and has a little better off speed pitches to go along with his tough fastball.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Wed, Apr 14, 2010, at 10:34 AM
  • deadred

I still think you are going to have to score alot of runs to beat Bernie if you are a team from the Stoddard County Conference. Chaffee can beat Bernie in a low scoring game. I still think Chaffee should be a No. 2 or No. 3 seed in districts along with Oran. Puxico might be able to beat Bernie in a low scoring game but I anticipate most of the other teams from Stoddard County will have to hit and hit often to beat Bernie. I don't think Woodland or Bell City can beat Bernie in a low scoring game. Bloomfield might beat Bernie if they score 5 or 6 runs and pitch their ace.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Apr 14, 2010, at 11:25 AM
  • drawmules

I don't think anyone will beat Bernie in the SCAA tournament, was just saying that there are 2 pitchers in the tournament, Johnson and Smith that "could" do it. I don't think anyone else in this field can hit or pitch with Bernie.

The district tourney is another story. Still early in the season and the seeding meeting should be fun. Bernie is clearly the #1 seed. Richland is clearly the #8 seed. At this point, just draw numbers and put the other 6 teams in. No clearly dominant team at this point in 2-7.

By the way, where is the SCAA tournament being held?

-- Posted by deadred on Wed, Apr 14, 2010, at 12:22 PM
  • Last years tournament did not have a specific place. The higher seed of the matchup had homefield advantage. I assume this year's will be the same.

By the way, I dont know if you guys remember this or not but Puxico won this tournament last year and really had no contest through the entire tournament. However, this is a different year and I am aware that they have lost a lot of players to graduation. Granted that they still returned their best player for this year but lost a lot of players that represented the supporting cast of that team.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Wed, Apr 14, 2010, at 12:46 PM
  • This year Bernie is clearly the favorite to win the tournament though.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, Apr 15, 2010, at 6:53 AM
  • I think the top seed will host the head to head games. For example, the No. 4 seed will host the No. 5 seed, No. 2 will host No. 7 and No. 3 will host No. 6, etc.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 15, 2010, at 9:26 AM
  • I know dexter is in the semo conference but they are still part of the SCAA. They play in both tournaments in basketball. Does this not apply for baseball for some reason or did they opt not to play in the tournament due to a scheduling conflict. Too bad I would like to see a dexter bernie game. It might be closer than their title game this year for the SCAA tournament in basketball. Both teams are strong for this conference, and would provide great competition for eachother AND the rest to get ready for districts.

-- Posted by semolian on Thu, Apr 15, 2010, at 9:29 PM
  • semolian

Dexter has always been reluctant to schedule games against SCAA teams in baseball. Dexter needs better competition on their regular season schedule than the SCAA teams could provide. Nevertheless, I agree a Bernie / Dexter game would make sense "this year." Dexter does not participate in the SCAA tournament.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 15, 2010, at 9:46 PM
  • I received info on the "official" SCAA tourney seeds today. Now forgive if I am wrong, I am just putting these on memory:

1. Bernie

2. Bell City

3. Woodland

4. Bloomfield

5. Advance

6. Puxico

7. Richland

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Fri, Apr 16, 2010, at 6:57 PM
  • Stoddard County Tournament opens up this Monday. Bernie will get a 1st round bye.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Sun, Apr 18, 2010, at 2:37 PM
  • When are the semifinals and finals?

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Apr 18, 2010, at 3:37 PM
  • Semifinals are Tuesday. Finals are Thursday. Not sure on the times of the games though.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Sun, Apr 18, 2010, at 5:50 PM
  • I think Puxico and Woodland should be an interesting game. This game is a possible upset in the making. I also think Bloomfield and Advance should be an interesting game.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Sun, Apr 18, 2010, at 5:54 PM
  • Here is a link to the Stoddard County Baseball Tournament http://www.bernie.k12.mo.us/admin/2010%20SCAA%20Baseball%20Bracket.pdf

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 1:38 AM
  • I heard that Woodland already threw their ace Saturday. Should be interesting if Woodland can get out of the 1st round today. This will more than likely be the game that I attend.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Mon, Apr 19, 2010, at 6:39 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: