Semoball

High School Baseball Forum: Senior American Legion Baseball

Posted by baseballfan2010 on Sat, May 22, 2010, at 11:30 AM:

Well folks, it is about that time of year again, which team will you watch the most this summer?

Replies (141)

• I might add that the talent level for Senior Legion is going to be a little higher than it has been due to the fact that Talley Haines will not have a prospect team this summer. That team that he had every summer for a few years until this one, had some elite players on it to say the least. Should be an interesting summer.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Sat, May 22, 2010, at 11:32 AM
  • Cape Senior Legion will be good, and i mean very good. I have heard that they have several very good college players coming back to play their last year. Apparently they had to cut some top level seniors from around the area.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sun, May 23, 2010, at 10:11 PM
  • SemoSports

I have heard the exact same thing about Cape. Todd Pennington is a great coach and knows exactly what he is doing and I like them to give Dunklin County a good run in districts if not beat them like they did last summer. Another team that you cannot sleep on is Poplar Bluff. I like them (Poplar Bluff) to get a 3 seed in districts. However, they will have a couple pitchers that could give teams like Cape or Dunklin County trouble. I know of one lefty from Bluff's legion team that I seen give Dunklin County trouble in districts last summer, not sure of his name but I am assuming that the same kid will be back for this summer.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Sun, May 23, 2010, at 10:55 PM
  • Pennington has done the same thing that ND high school did. He recruited the kids from Scott County and Sikeston to play for him, but I agree they will be GOOD!

-- Posted by crackerjack on Mon, May 24, 2010, at 8:39 AM
  • I believe that this is going to be a very interesting summer for American Legion baseball. I think that the area teams will all be improved from the lack of travel teams. Jackson and Cape will be better with players coming back their is no doubt about that. Dunklin Co. should be better with players also coming back to play this summer. The addition of Jake Welch, Tyler Thompson, Garret Stockton, and Heath Horvath who all played select ball last year should improve DC tremendously. Plus Dunklin County returns 14 of last years players.

-- Posted by royalduke on Mon, May 24, 2010, at 8:56 AM
  • bulletman

Dont you mean Scott City and Sikeston? Not Scott County Central and Sikeston

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Mon, May 24, 2010, at 9:47 AM
  • Bulletman is a sad, pathetic excuse for a blogger...you think semoball could recruit better bloggers ;)

-- Posted by RedShirt on Mon, May 24, 2010, at 1:33 PM
  • Lets please try to stay on topic here and not get any of our comments deleted LOL.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Mon, May 24, 2010, at 1:58 PM
  • I have to agree that while I think Cape will be strong, Dunklin County will be crazy good and will have a great chance to advance quite far in Zone play, IMHO.

What team do the Bernie kids play for?

What team do the Clearwater kids play for?

And finally, what team will the Stockton from Twin Rivers kid play for?

If Stockton and Clearwater kids play for Poplar Bluff, wow, they will be strong too!

What about Skylar Cobb?

-- Posted by GreatFun on Mon, May 24, 2010, at 2:43 PM
  • Bernie's Quinton Stevens will play for Poplar Bluff and Bernie's Jake Welch will play for Dunklin County. Welch is allowed to do so without having to play for Poplar Bluff because he lives in Malden (just goes to Bernie high school) making him closer to Dunklin County than Poplar Bluff.

Kendall Fay, Jordan Devenport, and Chris Kirkpatrick will play for Jackson. I received word that Logan Morris will play for Cape (not certain on that though)

Garrett Stockton will play for Dunklin County.

Skylar Cobb played for Cape last year so I am assuming he will do the same this summer.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Mon, May 24, 2010, at 3:48 PM
  • If skylar cobb doesnt get drafted first....

-- Posted by RedShirt on Mon, May 24, 2010, at 4:41 PM
  • how hard does cobb throw?

-- Posted by jamestheman2020 on Mon, May 24, 2010, at 5:04 PM
  • Is Skylar Cobb expected to get drafted? I haven't ever seen him pitch so I really don't know if he's ready to skip the college level and go straight to the draft. Can anyone help me out? I have heard talk about Quinton Stevens possibly getting drafted this year, but this is the first I've heard about Skylar Cobb. What are the chances of him being drafted this year straight out of high school? Does anyone know?

-- Posted by sportsaholic on Mon, May 24, 2010, at 5:27 PM
  • I think Stevens or Thompson have a better chance at gettin drafted than cobb.

-- Posted by player25 on Mon, May 24, 2010, at 5:44 PM
  • I do not think there is any chance Skylar Cobb will be drafted guys and girls.

And wait a second, wait a dog-gone minute here!!!!! Welch lives in Malden but goes to Bernie???? Is Bernie down there recruiting??? How come Malden hasn't been griping about this like the Sikeston folks about ND???? Malden can stake claim to being state champ material if they rightfully had their own ;o).

Ok, just pushing buttons here. But seriously, how does that work? How is Welch playing at Bernie while living in Malden?

-- Posted by GreatFun on Mon, May 24, 2010, at 6:05 PM
  • Garret Stockton will be playing at Dunklin County due to the fact that he started his legion career there. Poplar Bluff did not have a team when Garret started so he has the choice of where to play. I don't know the entire story on Welch but he does live in Malden which is closer to Dunklin Co. (Maybe a parent works there) We are extremely fortunate to have Stockton, Welch, Thompson, and Horvath to add to this summer's club everyone is going to be better so it just makes legion baseball stronger.

-- Posted by royalduke on Mon, May 24, 2010, at 7:07 PM
  • Cobb is playing for Cape for sure and he throws low 80's and hits mid 85-86 on occassion. but his velocity is not what makes him so hard to hit, he has two different arm slots that he can throw from both with different movement and theres plenty of movement to be seen even on his fastball. if you havent seen this kid throw you need to and get as close to the catcher as possible.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, May 24, 2010, at 7:24 PM
  • GreatFun

You would be surprised how much stronger some kids get after a couple of years in college, especially pitchers. If Cobb gains 3-4 mph throughout his college career and stays healthy he will get drafted somewhere. Same thing for all the leftys in the area like Chris Kirkpatrick, Trey Bazzell, Cody Stause, John Smith, and Cody Kennedy. All of these pitchers I have seen and were around 85 at their best this spring. All of these pitchers will be pitching at the next level as well. I wish the best of luck to all of them, I think they all have a chance to do something special as long as they are willing to work at it.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Mon, May 24, 2010, at 8:43 PM
  • I guess what I meant to say is that I don't think Cobb will be drafted out of high school. Someday, perhaps.

Scouts like size too. Does anyone know his height and weight? Weight and strength can be added but I am more interested in his height.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Mon, May 24, 2010, at 10:15 PM
  • Yes, I agree, his height might be his only factor because he looks like he is about 5'9" or 5'10".

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Mon, May 24, 2010, at 10:16 PM
  • Skylar Cobb is good, but NOT a great player. He is a Good player, playing average competition, at best. I love the kid, I have seen him play. He has a great attitude and does all the right things. That being said, there is a reason he is going to Three Rivers instead of Rice. He will not get drafted.

Best of luck to the kid, but don't make him out to be better than what he is.

-- Posted by Bulldogs2010 on Tue, May 25, 2010, at 1:25 AM
  • I have to agree Bulldogs, alot of people on this forum tend to inflate players. We are a tiny little segment of the state of Missouri down here, and there are kids as good as these locals or better all across this state. Some people it seemed had 5 local pitchers throwing nearly 90 mph, when in reality it is more like 0. Same thing on this draft issue. It is very unique to get local players drafted by professional baseball teams, and I think anyone who thinks all of these kids are likely draft picks are dearly mistaken. Yes, they will play at the 'next level' but that is college, not pros. Maybe a few, but not many.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Tue, May 25, 2010, at 8:25 AM
  • Correct me if I am wrong but any left handed pitcher that goes to college and throws around 85 has a chance to improve and get stronger. Also, I believe it is overrated on what college you go to. It does not matter if you are going to a Division 1 school or an NAIA school or even a JUCO, if you are good enough to get drafted you will get recognized and you will get drafted unless that person gets hurt. Granted you will get drafted in the higher rounds if you go to a Division 1 but it does not matter of what college you go to if you are still wanting to make it to that next level. If you are good, it does not matter what college you are playing, you will get seen by big league scouts.

By the way Bulldogs2010, dont you think it is a little harsh saying that he wont ever get drafted when that kid might be getting on this website and reading what people say about him and when he gets to your comment who knows you might just obliterate his confidence. Its every kids dream to get drafted, dont squander it while they are young!

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Tue, May 25, 2010, at 8:35 AM
  • If one blogger "obliterates" his confidence, he is clearly not mentally strong enough to even make it in college, let alone the pros.

A competitor like Skylar, who I have spoken to many times, would use that as motivation, not take it the wrong way.

I correct my statement. Skylar Cobb will NOT get drafted out of high school. He is a GOOD player, but if anyone thinks he is draft material YET,they are mistaken. If he improves in college, then maybe he would have a shot. I have seen the local talent to get drafted, Modglin/DeWitt/Priday, and No one in this area is close to the level they were playing at. Those three dominated the competition, and did what they wanted to out on the field. There is a big difference.

-- Posted by Bulldogs2010 on Tue, May 25, 2010, at 10:31 AM
  • baseballfan2010, not trying to correct you, because you are completely right, i am just adding on to what you said about division 1 etc. Just because a kid goes division 1 doesnt mean he will get drafted higher, i mean look at Klocke at SEMO he got drafted in the last couple rounds and semo is a very competitive division 1 school, no they arent a texas or north carolina but still. I obtained this from a former nebraska player who transfered because he wanted to play everyday; he said that everybody on the squad was 6' or above and just stellar athletically. He saw some kids that barely even saw playing time still get drafted and of course those who were regular starters would go in the first 10 rounds. This all occured before they limited scholorships and these big colleges would just go get everybody they thought had a chance

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Tue, May 25, 2010, at 9:53 PM
  • And I really was looking for an answer on that Welch kid living in Malden and playing for Bernie. Did he move mid school year and some rule allows him to stay at his previous school? Alot of you probably know the answer so I am sorry for asking what might be the obvious, but it isn't obvious to me, unless of course I guessed it already???

-- Posted by GreatFun on Tue, May 25, 2010, at 10:18 PM
  • All I know is that he has went to Bernie since at least his junior high years.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Tue, May 25, 2010, at 10:28 PM
  • But he LIVES in Malden? Doesn't anyone else find that odd?

Draw, surely you know the answer to this one.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Tue, May 25, 2010, at 10:39 PM
  • Besides the Clearwater boys, who else is on the Jackson Senior Legion team?

-- Posted by 2old2play on Tue, May 25, 2010, at 10:42 PM
  • Probably on the Jackson senior legion will be the Oak Ridge boys, maybe that stud pitcher Johnson from Woodland too? Guessing here.

And of course the Jackson boys who have shown they are salty.

What a great set of teams the legion landscape is shaping up to be this season.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Tue, May 25, 2010, at 10:46 PM
  • SEMOSPORTS, I see what you are saying. I think we are on the same page about everything. I can speak for both of us in saying we wish Skylar, as well as ANY semo player the best of luck.

Please don't misinterpret the things I've pointed out for ill will.

-- Posted by Bulldogs2010 on Tue, May 25, 2010, at 10:51 PM
  • Who are the coaches for the Jackson senior legion?

-- Posted by 2old2play on Tue, May 25, 2010, at 10:57 PM
  • steven's is playing for minner and neil johnson playing for the Missouri Bulls coached by wood.

-- Posted by Bc Future on Wed, May 26, 2010, at 1:57 AM
  • Stevens said yesterday that he is playing for Poplar Bluff.

-- Posted by Kidrayray on Wed, May 26, 2010, at 8:18 AM
  • The Nuts play all the legion teams. Come June 1st we will see who he is playing for.

-- Posted by Bc Future on Wed, May 26, 2010, at 10:49 AM
  • Thats what I was told by Minner himself.

-- Posted by Bc Future on Wed, May 26, 2010, at 10:52 AM

Jackson legion players that I know of Caleb hosey Shelby kight, zachary mcdowell, mason sander, logan bartels, John bohnsack, there is also other player from delta & lepold and a player from fredicktown there are others that I can't think of right now, plus clearwater boys

minus Logan Morris

-- Posted by cerebral1 on Wed, May 26, 2010, at 1:10 PM
  • Anybody know what Sikeston boys are playing for the NUTS???

-- Posted by tlks2much on Wed, May 26, 2010, at 1:34 PM
  • Nuts roster online...

http://nutsbaseball.com/index-1.html

-- Posted by deadred on Wed, May 26, 2010, at 1:45 PM

Senior legion at Jackson head coach is Mark Lewis

-- Posted by cerebral1 on Wed, May 26, 2010, at 2:54 PM
  • Cody Rice, I believe. The main Sikeston players are playing elsewhere.

Tyler Anderson, and Harper are playing Prospect ball. Newman is playing onthe stl prospects, rodgers on Sikeston Legion, McMillian the STL Bulls.

Two of the bulldogs main players, Issacs and Williams, are not playing anywhere, to my knowledge. Would be good pickups for someone.

Is Qualls playing for Jackson? Baker?

-- Posted by Bulldogs2010 on Wed, May 26, 2010, at 4:48 PM
  • Whatever happened to the days where the Legion team was the top team and the best players played for them? All of this other stuff and other teams is making me dizzy......

-- Posted by GreatFun on Wed, May 26, 2010, at 9:00 PM

Hook,

here is the info you were asking about

http://diamondsportspromotions.com/rosterview.php?id=1251&tourid=123

Chasteen is no longer on the squad due to an injury.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Wed, May 26, 2010, at 9:48 PM
  • Semosports,

If Cape had to cut seniors how did the Morris kid get on the team as a Junior? I have heard he is good but no one has the speed on him or control. he has several complete games but most are 10 run rules, Looked like CW pitched him in the tough games but no one has any info on him. Do you no when Capes first game is? Seems he would play for PB if Cape is that good or maybe he is that good? Todd is a great coach and looks like he may have the team to beat. We will see if Dc or Jackson puts them to the test.

-- Posted by Eaglejam22 on Thu, May 27, 2010, at 1:27 PM
  • Man I have heard some terrible unbelievable things this year Legion Baseball "Senior, Junior and Freshman" in the area, from kids not trying out because of, kids being cut after they made the team because of and kids only getting to play one or two innings a season because of.

Because of "Kids from out of town" Is Cape, Jackson, Norte Dame so lacking in kids wanting to play baseball.

After reading this it must be true everywhere.

1. He recruited the kids from Scott County and Sikeston for Cape Team.

2. Besides the Clearwater boys, who else is on the Jackson Senior Legion team

3. Jackson senior legion will be the Oak Ridge boys, boy from Woodland.

Am I looking at this the wrong way?????

What happens to local kids looking for a place to play??????

Sounds more like politics than baseball!

-- Posted by JBB on Thu, May 27, 2010, at 4:34 PM
  • Sorry I missied one, Other Jackson Legion players from Delta, Leapold and Fredicktown plus Clearwater boys.

"Whatever happened to the days where the Legion team was the top team and the best players played for them? All of this other stuff and other teams is making me dizzy......

-- Posted by GreatFun"

Maybe you answered my question. If you local Legion teams are getting kids 80 plus miles away, why wouldn't you look for other outlet to play on.

Wonder what that will do to the local school teams? When players don't get any playing time in the summmer!

-- Posted by JBB on Thu, May 27, 2010, at 4:50 PM
  • JBB

As far as I know there might be one player playing for jackson's senior legion Light playing for perryville legion Thomas playing for cherokees.I really think the economy has dictated where the players are playing It takes a lot more money to play on traveling teams. The local Legion post's in the area help out with money uniforms equiptmentfor a minimal fee. It's a good thing they are around if not there would be a lot of kids not playing.

-- Posted by oak ridge fan on Thu, May 27, 2010, at 6:16 PM
  • Jackson Sr. Legion is made up of 6 Jackson kids. Logan Bartels Austin Fowler Zack McDowell Chad Scroggins Ben Stearns and Mason Sander are the Jackson boys. Then there's the Clearwater boys Fay, Kirkpatrick, and Jorden Davenport. There's also a couple boys from college coming back for their last year, a few guys from Leopold, a Fredricktown boy, and Kight from Delta. They should have a good team and should compete with the top teams in the area.

-- Posted by tbonefizzle on Thu, May 27, 2010, at 9:06 PM
  • Eaglejam22,

As far as i know there are three juniors on cape's senior team, andrew williams, logan morris, and ronnie scott. As far as why did these kids make it while seniors got cut, well there could be many reasons like some kids might have to miss quite a few games because of various reasons like vacations or taking college classes out of town and these things will cause a coach to cut some kids that otherwise would make it. Maybe these three are just good enough to compete with the rest of the players who knows but im sure that coach pennington is sure what he is doing is what is best for the team.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Fri, May 28, 2010, at 2:39 PM
  • Senior legion score Desoto defeats Jackson 11-1.

-- Posted by badams2s on Sun, May 30, 2010, at 3:39 PM
  • Game 2 Jackson defeats Desoto 8-6

-- Posted by badams2s on Sun, May 30, 2010, at 6:30 PM
  • Not bad of a start for Cape. 12K's , Guess he made a wise choice picking that kid up from 80 miles away. I wonder if the hitting will hold through on the matchup with DC.

-- Posted by Eaglejam22 on Tue, Jun 1, 2010, at 10:57 AM
  • Be interesting to see if he pitches against Jackson and maybe DC. I am sure it would be a fun game if he pitches against some of his former teamates that play for Jackson cause they will be wanting to get some hits of him.If he does well against them than everyone may think he is a real deal.

Hope that kid keeps going. Guess coach Todd new what he was getting.

-- Posted by 1Daisey on Tue, Jun 1, 2010, at 2:08 PM
  • Senior legion score Jackson defeats Poplar Bluff 12-2. Game 2 will start in about 30 minutes.

-- Posted by badams2s on Tue, Jun 1, 2010, at 8:08 PM
  • While taking some BP at Hillcrest,Springfield we (Cooter Wildcats) watched about 3 innings of American Legion (Glendale VS Hillcrest). Both teams had a few college players in the line up and were impressive. Hillcrest was ahead 5-2. No matter where you go, baseball is being played and everyone's trying to get better.

-- Posted by mac baseball on Tue, Jun 1, 2010, at 8:28 PM
  • Poplar Bluff wins the second game against Jackson 5-0.

-- Posted by badams2s on Tue, Jun 1, 2010, at 10:29 PM
  • Anybody have any idea of who pitched for Poplar Bluff in games 1 and 2?

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Wed, Jun 2, 2010, at 7:05 AM
  • I believe Quinton Stevens started game 1 and Quinton West game 2

-- Posted by Kidrayray on Wed, Jun 2, 2010, at 8:41 AM
  • Looks like Dunklin Co. is the team to watch this year, loaded up with talent and a very good coach. What was the outcome between them and Sikeston last night, anyone know?

-- Posted by scoutone on Wed, Jun 2, 2010, at 10:11 AM
  • DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET THE SCHEDULE FOR THE JACKSON LEGION TEAM - IS THERE A WEBSITE?

I'VE BEEN TO THE MISSOURI LEGION WEBSITE ALREADY -NOTHING.

-- Posted by scfannjackson on Wed, Jun 2, 2010, at 11:14 AM
  • Dc won the first game 15-2 and the second 12-0

-- Posted by jamestheman2020 on Wed, Jun 2, 2010, at 11:24 AM
  • Who was the pitchers for Jackson in both games?

-- Posted by 1Daisey on Wed, Jun 2, 2010, at 1:01 PM
  • Stevens got frustrated after not getting a few calls from the umpire. His curve ball was not very sharp and Jackson was able to get on his fastball a little bit. The second pitcher for Bluff did a very good job at keeping Jackson off balance even though he didn't have amazing stuff.

Mason Sander threw the first game and Caleb Hossey started the 2nd. Hossey didn't get much support defensively and deserved a much better outcome than a 5-0 game.

-- Posted by tbonefizzle on Wed, Jun 2, 2010, at 6:34 PM
  • The St. Louis Cardinals play the first-place Cincinnati Reds Wednesday at 7:15 p.m. Join me on the professional sports forums to discuss the game.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Jun 2, 2010, at 6:56 PM
  • I was just wondering in the Dunklin co. vs Sikeston game who played where for D.C. in the 1st game and who started playing in game #2?

-- Posted by scoutone on Wed, Jun 2, 2010, at 7:20 PM

Scoutone, I made a phone call and they told me P. Walkins, Joe Campbell @ left, G. Stockton @ right, Jake Welch @ 2nd and Tyler Tompson on short. That's all the info I got so far. Hope that helps.

-- Posted by Blam it on the Ref on Thu, Jun 3, 2010, at 8:36 PM
  • tbonefizzle,

I attended the Jackson senior legion game vs Bluff and I saw ur comments about the second pitcher from Bluff. I was told by a few parents he throws mid 80's around 85 usually but he had attended a showcase previously that day and was probably fatigued from it which caused him to be a little flat.

-- Posted by highheat on Thu, Jun 3, 2010, at 9:30 PM
  • I was told that the pitcher that pitched the 2nd game for Poplar Bluff was Quinton West. West usually throws around 83-84. I believe he is going into his senior year this fall, not sure though.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Fri, Jun 4, 2010, at 7:31 AM
  • Yes, Quinton West will be a senior next year.

-- Posted by Kidrayray on Fri, Jun 4, 2010, at 8:42 AM
  • Does anybody know if he has signed yet? I mean if he throws 84 as a junior and is goin to be a senior he will only improve if he keeps working at it. I remember watching Stevens pitch a year ago and he was around there and look at him now.

-- Posted by highheat on Fri, Jun 4, 2010, at 10:16 AM
  • highheat

At this time last year Stevens was throwing 87 mph.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Fri, Jun 4, 2010, at 12:11 PM
  • Was he really? I guess he must be sore or something is wearing him down because I attended their district championship game at Chaffee where he threw and the highest he hit was I belive 88 and at the jackson legion game he was probably around 87 then to.

-- Posted by highheat on Fri, Jun 4, 2010, at 1:15 PM
  • highheat.

At chaffee looks like he was off a little due to heavy air, slipping on the mound and probably a little uptight due to the fact that the Kansas City Royals and L.A.Dodgers were there looking at him. I would say at Jackson he was touching 90-91 and a little upset with the umpire who had no strike zone, so bad P.B. coach came out of dugout to let the ump know he had no zone and his pitcher had no idea where to throw for strikes. Let's not get into a debate on how hard Stevens throws he has proven that to the right people in the right places. His Florida coach is very impressed to offer the scholarship that he did, full ride plus a weekly stipened and travel expenses. Lets move on to something else.

-- Posted by scoutone on Fri, Jun 4, 2010, at 1:33 PM
  • Blame ref

I haven't watched South Pem play any but I thought Thompson was a pitcher not a shortstop. However, I could see why a coach would want him at short with his build and arm strength. Did he start the 2nd game at short?

-- Posted by scoutone on Fri, Jun 4, 2010, at 1:44 PM
  • scoutone

I'm not debating how hard he throws trust me ive heard plenty of people and looked up that he's in the 90's I was just curious if something was affecting him. I wish him the best of luck at the next level

-- Posted by highheat on Fri, Jun 4, 2010, at 2:14 PM
  • highheat

I understand and welcome your debate.(for keeping it in perspective) I think some games he works more on some new pitches which he hasn't fully developed yet and will cause him to throw off a little. Well gotta go, traveling to Charleston to watch some very good baseball i hope!

-- Posted by scoutone on Fri, Jun 4, 2010, at 3:59 PM
  • If either of those kids throw 90 they WILL BE DRAFTED - better guess is that they are mid 80's which is pretty darn good......

-- Posted by RedDogs on Fri, Jun 4, 2010, at 4:41 PM
  • baseballfan2010

When do I get to meet you? I want to talk about baseball with you. Are you still up in the Clearwater area HaHa?

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Jun 4, 2010, at 7:17 PM
  • scoutone

I'm in Springfield right now watching the state baseball tournament. But if Stevens is scheduled to pitch a game next week let me know about it. I might be free next week to watch a game. But after that I'll be busy. You can just call me on my home phone next week. LOL

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Jun 4, 2010, at 7:19 PM
  • One last comment. Stevens was as good as any Class 1 pitcher at the state tournament. I stand by my comment that he may be the best Class 1 pitcher in the state. I saw one pitcher out here in Class 1 that I would put in the same category and he was a lefty.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Jun 4, 2010, at 7:22 PM
  • Baseballfan2010,

We get it. You don't like Quentin Stevens as much as others do on the mound. We. get. it. There is no need to show up every day to make a new post tearing the kid's skills down and questioning the every positive thing that is said about him.

I don't know or care if you are right or wrong, but the nitpicking with him needs to stop. Discussing how good a player is or isn't is perfectly fine, but it being negative about him seems to be your primary goal and what most of your posts are devoted. The beauty of sport is that time and performance will give us all the answers we need.

I know Quentin has become a lighting rod of epic proportions for reasons I don't know, but I'm not going to let him continue to be struck on here time and again.

You obviously have lots of baseball knowledge and plenty of other things to talk about. Let's try a new subject, please.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Fri, Jun 4, 2010, at 7:33 PM
  • Rachel

You are being a bit judgemental dont you think?! I do not have a problem with the kid. I never said I disliked him. I really am not trying to take anything away from Stevens at all. I have said plenty of times that he is a really good pitcher. I just think he is a bit over-rated at times and thats my main point. I dont mean to nit-pick I just dont like it when people put players on higher pedestals than they are worthy of. I have said in other posts that he is a good pitcher and definitely deserves to make 1st team all-state.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Fri, Jun 4, 2010, at 9:29 PM
  • Ok, fair enough, baseballfan. Can we move on though?

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Fri, Jun 4, 2010, at 10:48 PM
  • Sure thing. Anybody know if Dunklin County won their game tonight or not?

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Fri, Jun 4, 2010, at 11:12 PM
  • Dunklin County won both today...11-1??? maybe vs Chaffee and 12-3 vs Poplar Bluff.

Chaffee is playing a number of freshmen and sophs who will really benefit from tough competition this summer. Look for their HS team to be very good in the next years.

-- Posted by troll on Fri, Jun 4, 2010, at 11:20 PM
  • I should add that I really applaud the Chaffee coaching staff and players for taking on an ambitious summer schedule. If the players will ignore the "won-loss" record and just focus on "improving", this summer will be a huge benefit to them and it will show in the spring record.

-- Posted by troll on Fri, Jun 4, 2010, at 11:27 PM
  • Blam it on the Ref

What do you mean by legit?? I am just another fan that enjoys watching baseball. I dont appreciate being called an idiot either.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Fri, Jun 4, 2010, at 11:42 PM
  • Troll

Do you know who pitched for Dunklin County today?

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Fri, Jun 4, 2010, at 11:44 PM
  • First game, Cameron Wallace, second game, Joe Campbell. Both were very good.

-- Posted by troll on Fri, Jun 4, 2010, at 11:51 PM
  • I would also like to give my sincere apologies to anybody who I offended with my comments made about Stevens. I tend to forget that players get on here and read what we say about them and now that I recognize that, I regret what I said.

Quinton is a great pitcher and a great kid as well and I wish him the best of luck in pitching in Florida next year!! Hopefully he can stay healthy and keep improving and maybe we will see him get drafted one day.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Fri, Jun 4, 2010, at 11:51 PM
  • Blam it on the Ref,

Your post was deleted for name-calling.

Baseballfan says he/she's moving on so now the rest of us will as well.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Fri, Jun 4, 2010, at 11:52 PM
  • I have seen Joe Campbell before. By the way, is he going to play college ball anywhere?? And what kind of stuff does Cameron Wallace have?

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Fri, Jun 4, 2010, at 11:53 PM
  • Joe just finished his Jr year. Too early to know.

Cameron has been around some very good coaches who have trained him well.

-- Posted by troll on Sat, Jun 5, 2010, at 12:00 AM
  • Hang one a minute . . . Where did Cameron Wallace and Joe Campbell play at?

baseballfan2010

Did you watch Joe Campbell play often?

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, Jun 5, 2010, at 12:33 AM
  • Drawmules,

I'm also interested, where did Cameron Wallace play at?

Troll,

Who are the coaches who have trained him, can you tell?

-- Posted by scoutone on Sat, Jun 5, 2010, at 4:24 AM

Rachel, men like baseballfan and others get on here and nicely belittle players as harshly as they see fit and deliberately I might add. Keep in mind if their knowledge of the game was used constitutively they would NOT be on this forum.

You took my comment off because I called men of his caliber by the name that they are? The word means "a person who doesn't know any better" Rachel, I hope you took his comments off as well because those boys read this (I talked to two pitchers yesterday whom were offended by these such comments on this forum) And my comment about baseballfan is not near as offensive to a 17 yr old athlete as the deliberate harsh criticism men like that put forth on a player and athletes who are going on to college I might add. These athletes practice hard and deserve our encouragement as responsible adults. Maybe you need to re evaluate the rules you have imposed for this forum. I sincerely apologize to baseball man for offending you. I hope you do the same and move on to another forum whom thrives on the mental cruelty to High School Athletes you impose on them while setting behind a computer screen.

-- Posted by Blam it on the Ref on Sat, Jun 5, 2010, at 8:13 AM
  • Draw

I have only seen Joe Campbell play 2 or 3 times, mostly in legion ball. I am not sure what high school he goes too, I think its Campbell but I am not positive.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Sat, Jun 5, 2010, at 8:56 AM
  • Anyone know who won the other games at the Charleston woodfest? Sikeston vs. Charleston and Sikeston vs. Jackson I believe.

-- Posted by deadred on Sat, Jun 5, 2010, at 9:49 AM
  • Sikeston held on late to beat Jackson. Don't know about the Charleston game.

-- Posted by troll on Sat, Jun 5, 2010, at 10:01 AM
  • scoutone

Cameron Wallace is from Kennett and is a junior.

-- Posted by bootheelballer on Sat, Jun 5, 2010, at 11:57 AM
  • Looks like southeast mo. will be loaded up with good pitching arms next year.

-- Posted by scoutone on Sat, Jun 5, 2010, at 1:01 PM
  • Blam it on the ref,

What part of me deleting a comment where a person was harshly critical of an athlete (baseballfan's) and calling the person out and asking him/her to stop led you to believe that I don't delete comments that are harshly critical of athletes? I'm confused. Do you think that I don't do this already?

If you see posts that you believe are overly critical, please hit the yellow exclamation point and report the comments to me. This is not a perfect world were there is a clear line between discussing a player's skills and picking on someone (Where that line is depends almost entirely on who reading and who is writing a comment...a comment saying a kid's fastball is hittable and overrated is read differently if your his parent than if your someone who has never seen him play and who doesn't care about his future.), where I see every post made in a matter of minutes and where no one ever gets their feelings hurt, but I think I do far more to keep the peace/remove negativity than you'll find on any other website and pretty much any other sports forum.

And comments with name-calling and attacks on other posters will always be deleted because I'm not about to start judging who is right and who is wrong in all these back and forths and be the one who decides which people "don't know better." I hope we all know well enough to have our disagreements respectfully.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Sat, Jun 5, 2010, at 3:32 PM
  • I hate to change the focus of the thread but does anyone have a schedule for the Charleston Tournament? Are there games on Sunday? When?

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, Jun 5, 2010, at 5:21 PM
  • Games at Charleston at 10:00 and 2:00. Game 2 is Poplar Bluff against the winner of the Dunklin Cty vs Jackson game being played now.

-- Posted by pbmules on Sat, Jun 5, 2010, at 8:10 PM
  • who ended up winning the Jackson Dunklin county game? I left about the 3 inning and Dunklin County was in control with Thompson on the mound. Anyone know how hard he was throwing tonight?

-- Posted by jamestheman2020 on Sat, Jun 5, 2010, at 11:43 PM
  • Dunklin County won. Jackson plays for 3rd at 11:00, DC plays for 1st at 2:00.

-- Posted by troll on Sat, Jun 5, 2010, at 11:49 PM
  • Who does Jackson play?

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Jun 6, 2010, at 1:46 AM
  • Jackson will play Sikeston today.

-- Posted by truebaseballfan on Sun, Jun 6, 2010, at 9:09 AM
  • Is Dunklin County undefeated still?

-- Posted by GreatFun on Sun, Jun 6, 2010, at 9:29 AM
  • I'm on my way to Charleston to watch the third place and championship game. Does anyone know who will be pitching? I'm curious.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Jun 6, 2010, at 10:18 AM
  • Dunklin County has a new pitcher after the first two reach for Poplar Bluff in the fifth.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Jun 6, 2010, at 3:42 PM
  • Wrong thread. Sorry.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Jun 6, 2010, at 3:43 PM
  • What is going on with Sikestons American Legion, why are players quiting? We used to have a big turnout now seems it is all Legion can do to keep players.

-- Posted by Interests Me on Mon, Jun 7, 2010, at 1:31 PM
  • Keep talking about Senior Legion well those are the kids that have survived the politics from the adults. How many kids with talent got pushed out.

I know of kids this year that did not tryout because so many politics involved who gets to play and they play on the school team but not the legion team. But have been on past legion teams.

Typically what I see reason kids quit is because adults kill the purity of baseball.

American Legion Baseball teach young Americans the importance of sportsmanship, good health and active citizenship. The program is also a promoter of equality, making teammates out of wealthy bankers' and industrial workers' sons, and erasing any social divide between them.

Believe that has gone out the window.

I know of one young adult that never has bad word to say about anything, what he got out of legion baseball he said don't trust an adult word. It who you know, not how you play.

-- Posted by JBB on Mon, Jun 7, 2010, at 2:34 PM
  • Talked with someone today that told me that the coach had 6 of his high school players on the team. I didn't think HS coaches were allowed to do that.

-- Posted by Interests Me on Mon, Jun 7, 2010, at 7:22 PM
  • As long as they only have 25 contact days a coach can have his own players, or is it 26 days, something like that. Also can't have any contact during the "dead" period.

-- Posted by jswonger on Mon, Jun 7, 2010, at 7:45 PM
  • well it looks as though he is in trouble because Legion ball starts June 1 to the end of July.

-- Posted by Interests Me on Mon, Jun 7, 2010, at 8:35 PM
  • The length of the season does not matter. It's the actual days of contact that the coach has. If they have games on 25 or less days and no practices, then they're ok. Or, have someone else run the practices. There are always ways to get around these rules. Has happened in every sport for many years.

-- Posted by deadred on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 11:05 AM
  • Has Fay & Kirkpatrick pitched any games for Jackson senior legion? If so how did they do and what teams did they pitch against?

Rachael I believe you are doing a good job even if you just set behind the monitor most of the time. I am sure you have watched some games because in most cases on your posts I agree with you.

-- Posted by 1Daisey on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 1:47 PM
  • Kirkpatrick has pitched 2 games this season for Jackson. His first was against Desoto and he looked very good. Fastball was sitting at about 84-85 and he might have touched 87 a few times to go along with his nasty off speed pitch. His second game against Dunklin he looked tired and didn't have near the velocity. He had played a game earlier that day and then sat about 4 hours so that might have had something to do with it.

I doubt Fay will pitch much if at all for Jackson. His dad and him don't really want him on the mound and he is looking stellar short and may get some time at second.

-- Posted by tbonefizzle on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 2:19 PM
  • Good job Kirk with Jackson. If you hadn't had arm problemes agaist CC in semis in state than Clearwater may of had a title.I still can't understand a coach that won't take a pitcher out if his arm is hurting. Just the info from previous post . Not sure it was. But Fay & Morriss was probably both ready to pitch. Good luck to all Clearwater seniors.

Clearwater will try to be strong agin next season with Koenig and Morriss pitching plus some others.Just hope the coach listens to a player if they are hurting. No reason for that player to have permanent damage.

-- Posted by 1Daisey on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 5:04 PM
  • 1Daisey

I agree, Kirkpatrick is probably going to be pitching at college next year, no need to over stretch his arm and get hurt. By the way, does anybody know if and where kirkpatrick has signed to play in college?

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 6:07 PM
  • I was interested in attending the Jackson-Dunklin County game on thursday night so I was wondering if anyone can give me the adress to this game?

-- Posted by jamestheman2020 on Tue, Jun 8, 2010, at 9:44 PM
  • WOW! This Dunklin County team looks unbeatable! They made a tough Blythevile team look silly with 2 run rule wins in 5 innings!

-- Posted by dirtysouth on Wed, Jun 9, 2010, at 8:40 AM
  • When does Dunklin County and Cape Legion play each other? I've seen Dunklin County and they are loaded but from what I hear about Cape Legion, they may be just as loaded. Should be some good games.

-- Posted by deadred on Wed, Jun 9, 2010, at 10:26 AM
  • They play June 21 at cape

-- Posted by jamestheman2020 on Wed, Jun 9, 2010, at 11:11 AM
  • Who are the pitchers for Dunklin and Cape?

Will that game be broadcast on prepcasts or what ever it is called? If so what is the site?

-- Posted by 1Daisey on Wed, Jun 9, 2010, at 11:47 AM
  • Im sure cape will thorw Pobst and Morris and Dunklin will prolly throw Thompson and Lynn

-- Posted by jamestheman2020 on Wed, Jun 9, 2010, at 11:58 AM
  • I have heard some good things about Dylan Lynn. I heard he throws around 87 now. I understand that he just got done with his freshmen year at Williams Baptist. Anybody know how that year went for him?

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Wed, Jun 9, 2010, at 12:14 PM
  • You really think Cape will let Morris pitch against Dunklin. He is only a 16 yr old from what I have been told Of course I guess he has some good creditials he likes to K all of them Alot depends on where the strike zone is because he gets it across the plate. He may hit 85 plus has a nasty curve I think. Some Umps setup on the left of catcher and others on the right side if they setup just right he will get several K's I have umped before and I was straight behind the catcher so I could see the inside and outside of the plate.

-- Posted by 1Daisey on Wed, Jun 9, 2010, at 2:49 PM
  • Where does Cape Legion play their home games?

-- Posted by tbonefizzle on Wed, Jun 9, 2010, at 5:29 PM
  • 1Daisey

I heard that Logan was clocked at 89 in one game this spring, do you know if that was true?

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Wed, Jun 9, 2010, at 6:14 PM
  • Cape Legion plays its home games at Capaha Park.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Wed, Jun 9, 2010, at 6:19 PM
  • Skylar Cobb seems like a possible starter for Cape against Dunklin too. Doesn't he pitch for Cape? And Hiett? They have a pretty loaded pitching staff. That Cape Central tall young lefty, I forgot his name, is also an up and comer.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Wed, Jun 9, 2010, at 8:20 PM
  • GreatFun, Cape Central does not have a tall lefty, they have a tall righty named Josh Meyer and an average sized lefty named Jamie Pickle. And yes, Cape Senior Legion does have a very loaded pitching staff. Todd did a great job picking his kids out this year, hope it pays off for them and they go to state!

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Thu, Jun 10, 2010, at 12:23 AM
  • Baseballfan2010

I don't know if Logan has hit 89 or not.

I am sure someone that reads these post has had a gun on him before. Maybe they can tell us.

-- Posted by 1Daisey on Thu, Jun 10, 2010, at 10:14 AM
  • Who are the kids to watch pitching this summer, I understand that Cape and Dunklin both seem to be loaded with talent. I haven't seen Cape play yet but i hear they have some pitching talent. I got to see Dunklin play in the Charleston tournament on Saturday and Sunday, but i didn't catch the names of the young men that pitched.

-- Posted by BringTheShow on Thu, Jun 10, 2010, at 11:57 AM
  • Maybe I was thinking of a kid with the last name Scott? I might be confused, does he pitch for a babe ruth team or possibly Jr. Legion?

I saw in the paper that Cape Sr Legion swept a doubleheader from Paducah. Paducah is always, year in and year out, a very strong team. Not sure what they have this year though, but sweeping them is impressive.

Cape and Dunklin are very strong squads this year. It is very neat to have followed all of these high school kids all season and now see them join forces in what looks like several all-star teams. The other local legion teams aren't chumps either. All around there is some good talent this year.

I think Dunklin has a good chance of advancing to zone, state and possibly beyond this year.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Thu, Jun 10, 2010, at 2:11 PM
  • Dunklin County At Jackson

Anyone that can keep us updated.

-- Posted by mac baseball on Thu, Jun 10, 2010, at 6:27 PM
  • Cape does have a kid named Ronnie Scott, he is going to be a senior at Central and because of transfer rules had to play on the JV squad this past season at Central. He is a lefty so that could be who you are thinking of, he throws in the low 80's and can hit up to 85.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Fri, Jun 11, 2010, at 12:16 AM
  • Dunklin County will be without Thompson for a couple of weeks. He was hit by a pitch in the face and broke a couple of bones.

-- Posted by player25 on Sat, Jun 12, 2010, at 10:18 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: