Semoball

High School Baseball Forum: best jr high basketball teams in southeast missouri(Boys and Girls)

Posted by baseballfanatic1000 on Thu, Oct 28, 2010, at 10:51 AM:

Who do guys think are some of the best jr high basketball teams in southeast Missouri?

My opinion, is that bernie and Dexter are some of the best boys. Neelyville has a really good jr high basketball team for the girls. Naylor also has a really good team from what i hear. What do you guys think?

Replies (67)

Perryville and cooter

-- Posted by CL on Thu, Oct 28, 2010, at 12:23 PM
  • Hard to say since the teams that have football just started with tryouts this week.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Oct 28, 2010, at 2:31 PM
  • Puxico Jr. High is pretty good and has been for a few years.

-- Posted by ramsfan73 on Thu, Oct 28, 2010, at 3:21 PM
  • Bernie is good but the 8th grade is better. Bernie plays Dexter friday night so that will tell us with that matchup who might be the better team. Bernie has very good point guard and center.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Thu, Oct 28, 2010, at 4:49 PM
  • I haven't watched Bernie or Cooter but multiple sources have informed me both programs are strong.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Oct 28, 2010, at 5:12 PM
  • Let's see, we are talking about ALL of Southeast Missouri? Sikeston's 7th and 8th grades are very good, Jackson, NMCC and Bluff all have salty 8th grades. I have no idea about who is good in the 7th grade. There is not a team mentioned above that would (I don't think) beat any of the above mentioned 4 teams.

-- Posted by Hemingway on Thu, Oct 28, 2010, at 6:46 PM
  • Cooter jr high is ok, they take care of the ball well, but Clarkton could have ran the clock on them even with our top player having turned his ankle two minutes in the first quarter and the coach taking out the whole 8th grade starters with two minutes left in the second quarter and putting in all 7th graders to show them if they dont play defense that they wont play, Clarkton has an excellent 8th grade, Bernie does, but Malden has the best 8th grade team in the area.

-- Posted by kdjones on Thu, Oct 28, 2010, at 6:49 PM
  • SCC 7th and 8th grade just one the tournement at oak ridge

-- Posted by braves win on Thu, Oct 28, 2010, at 6:50 PM

Chaffee 7th grade girls were undefeated for the season and was 1st place for conference. This group of girls are amazing ball players and have been playing together in rec league since 3rd grade. They play as a team, knowing what the other players are going to do is instinct for them. As they get older they will only get better.

-- Posted by semoangel70 on Thu, Oct 28, 2010, at 8:03 PM
  • who cares?

-- Posted by CapeTiger4 on Thu, Oct 28, 2010, at 9:21 PM
  • Not sure who Chaffee brought for the girls game at Meadow Heights but whatever grade they were in Chaffee lost by 20+.

-- Posted by BC Breeze on Thu, Oct 28, 2010, at 11:19 PM
  • Watch out for Chaffee Jr. High. 2-0 and going strong!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-- Posted by blmmont1 on Fri, Oct 29, 2010, at 12:39 AM
  • Chaffee Jr. High Boys that is!

-- Posted by blmmont1 on Fri, Oct 29, 2010, at 12:43 AM
  • South Pem 8th grade beat Cooter 80-2 last year, did Cooter get that much better.

-- Posted by baller on Fri, Oct 29, 2010, at 8:14 AM
  • I can't believe this thread has 14....now 15 responses! Junior high??? Come on!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Oct 29, 2010, at 8:50 AM
  • JR. High.............Highschool, wierd how that works??

-- Posted by BootheelDad on Fri, Oct 29, 2010, at 3:54 PM
  • Scott City 8th grade girls won the conference tournament. They have some awesome young talent.

-- Posted by Ramfan#1 on Fri, Oct 29, 2010, at 3:54 PM
  • Scott city 7th grade boys can play with anybody on here, except maybe sikeston

-- Posted by sportswiz on Fri, Oct 29, 2010, at 6:00 PM
  • Meadow Heights beat Scott City girls by 10-12 also.

-- Posted by BC Breeze on Sat, Oct 30, 2010, at 9:34 AM

Chaffee 8th grade got stomped not only by Meadow Heights but every other team they played except Woodland. The 7th grade girls were undefeated for the season, however lost in the conference and got 2nd place. DO NOT confuse the two teams. The 7th graders is going to be the best team of girls to go through Chaffee schools.

-- Posted by semoangel70 on Thu, Nov 4, 2010, at 6:33 PM
  • Chaffee 8th grade boys won Round Robin today. Chaffee 50, Advance 23. Chaffee is now 5-0. Good luck boys and keep up the good work.

-- Posted by blmmont1 on Fri, Nov 5, 2010, at 12:51 AM
  • I'm glad some of these schools that been down for what seems like forever. We have to put things perspective this is Junior High everything changes when they get in High School.

-- Posted by swamie on Fri, Nov 5, 2010, at 6:38 AM
  • Now 6-0 Chaffee 8th grade boys. Friday night

Chaffee 60 - Zalma 20! Maybe undefeated this year? Keep up the good work boys!

-- Posted by hutcape on Sun, Nov 7, 2010, at 3:38 PM
  • If Chaffee beat Advance by 27 they must be legit. I might have to get up to Chaffee and take a look at what could be a sign of good things to come in Chaffee in upcoming years.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Nov 7, 2010, at 8:43 PM
  • Chaffee 8th grade is a good team. Advance and others (Leopold is another) appear to be down this year in that age. The Chaffee team should improve over the next few years. They have some size and, good ball handlers and good shooting. They are also missing one of their top players who is out this year with a broken leg. Jr. High is Jr. High and it's hard to tell much because they do not play too many teams. But, in my opinion, this is one of the better groups around.

-- Posted by deadred on Mon, Nov 8, 2010, at 7:52 AM
  • Neelyville jr. high girls finish season at 14-1. Only loss was by 2 pts to Greenville to finish 2nd in Naylor Tourn. Also won 1st in Doniphan Tourn. My daughter, #25, plays on that team.

8th grade boys at Neelyville are currently undefeated and also won Doniphan Tourn. However, they are seeded 3rd in Fisk Tourn which starts tonight.

-- Posted by JRich50 on Mon, Nov 8, 2010, at 1:19 PM
  • JH GIRLS basketball

Jackson 7th grade record: 5-1 (loss to Dexter by 1 point)

Jackson 8th grade record: 7-1 (loss to Dexter by 3 points; also won the Dexter 8th grade Tournament)

Wins against Sikeston, Cape, Meadow Heights, Poplar Bluff.

Great team.

-- Posted by jacksonladyindians on Mon, Nov 8, 2010, at 2:09 PM
  • This thread has pretty much just turned in to a chance for everyone to just say that their school has the best JV team, and now all of a sudden we're talking about Chaffee 7th grade teams? Ok, so look for Chaffee to win the Christmas tournament when these kids are 11th and 12th grade. I can't wait to see a small school like them break into the elite of the SEMissourian Christmas tournament which is used to being dominated by about four teams.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Mon, Nov 8, 2010, at 2:21 PM
  • hey greatfun.....if you don't like it.......don't read it........there is lots of stuff written on semoball that is way more foolish than this jargon. Stop hating....

-- Posted by GSP on Mon, Nov 8, 2010, at 6:55 PM
  • GreatFun... get a life. I did not say anything about High School. As I said, "Jr. High is Jr. High" and it does not mean much about HS ball. That's why this thread was titled Jr. High, not High School. Someone commented on the the Chaffee 8th grade team and I was giving my opinion. And I even said "one of the better teams" not one of the best teams. If you want to stir stuff up, there's this website you might like called Topix.

-- Posted by deadred on Mon, Nov 8, 2010, at 7:01 PM
  • I'm not hating on any teams, really I'm not. Sorry you took it that way. I just truly never meant to. I guess I just read this thread and all of a sudden Chaffee has these incredible up and coming teams. I am just looking forward to seeing them progress, and if you are correct, then all kidding aside, they will make a run at the Christmas tournament in the near future.

It's actually nice to see some smaller schools like Chaffee make a run at the SEMissourian tourney. I hope it really does happen in 3 or 4 years.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Mon, Nov 8, 2010, at 9:18 PM
  • I hope you have never been on Topix deadred. I can say that I haven't. To even read that disgusting crap that I have heard mentioned, and then to visit the website or post on it, that is awful. We should all do ourselves a favor and boycott that website. It really struck a chord with me that you referred to that. I certainly didn't feel that what I posted rose to that level, but if in your mind it did, I really regret having posted that. I mean that. Sorry.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Mon, Nov 8, 2010, at 9:21 PM
  • GreatFun..No problem. I am hopeful for the state of Chaffee baskeball for the next few years. I don't think it's reasonable to think that a small school like Chaffee can regularly compete with the big schools at the Christmas tourney but, hoping that someday soon we can get a single or low double-digit seed.

-- Posted by deadred on Mon, Nov 8, 2010, at 9:37 PM
  • Greatfun..SCC is a smaller school than Chaffee and they made some good runs in the Christmas tourament.

-- Posted by igobybob on Mon, Nov 8, 2010, at 9:41 PM
  • Very true, Scott Co. is most certainly one of THE smallest schools. Please don't think I have overlooked them. They have MORE than made good runs at the Christmas tournament, they are one of the teams I refer to when I say it has been dominated by about 4 teams.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Mon, Nov 8, 2010, at 9:47 PM
  • CHAFFEE 8TH GRADE NOW 7-0 Played Oak Ridge last eve. Won 47-28.

-- Posted by hutcape on Wed, Nov 10, 2010, at 11:08 AM
  • Nice record there by Chaffee's 8th grade, I have heard good things about them. How about this, "if" we lumped up all of the JH programs in SEMO and had an 8th grade tourn, who would the Final Four teams be and why?

-- Posted by Hemingway on Wed, Nov 10, 2010, at 11:53 AM
  • I'll have live updates for the Fisk Tournament tonight here: http://semoball.com/forums/highschoolbasketball/thread/2190

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Nov 10, 2010, at 1:56 PM
  • Cape and Jackson area Parochial schools have some good 8th grade teams.St. Marys and St. Vincents in cape, Immaculate Conception in Jackson, St. Augustine in Kelso, have size, speed, ballhandling, and the quickness to play with anyone. Notre Dame is going to load up once again next year.

-- Posted by hawk9stay on Wed, Nov 10, 2010, at 3:09 PM
  • Chaffee 8th Grade 8-0; Chaffee 64, Puxico 20

Great idea Hemingway for an 8th grade tourn re: all of the JH programs in SEMO.

-- Posted by hutcape on Sun, Nov 14, 2010, at 7:28 PM
  • Gideon's 7th grade is undefeated. They are going into their conference tournament this week at Clarkton.

-- Posted by chelco on Sun, Nov 14, 2010, at 9:58 PM
  • The class of the area in 7th grade boys is hands down Kennett. I'm not one to put too much into jr. high, but I ran across this thread and thought it was worth mentioning it. I hear Malden and NMCC are pretty good in 8th grade.

-- Posted by indianchief on Mon, Nov 15, 2010, at 7:18 PM

NMCC is good in 8th grade. Their pretty good in 7th too.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Nov 15, 2010, at 8:07 PM
  • Chaffee 8th is good but caught Puxico when 2 starters and 2 bench players couldn't play due to their grades. Puxico beat Dexter tonight with only 6 player and plays Bernie tommorrow They are pretty good but with 6 player tough to win

-- Posted by bobma2000 on Mon, Nov 15, 2010, at 10:41 PM
  • Chaffee 8th Grade 9-0;

Tonight Chaffee 46, Scott City 10

Chaffee plays Scott Central Thursday. Chaffee beat them last year and now we'll see what happens this year!

-- Posted by hutcape on Tue, Nov 16, 2010, at 11:43 PM
  • Bernie beat Puxico by 15 and it really wasn't that close to become the stoddard co champs. would like to see them play Chaffee. i think they would be 9-1.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Wed, Nov 17, 2010, at 11:09 AM
  • Chaffee 8th grade boys. 10-0 Chaffee 56, Scott County Central 38

-- Posted by hutcape on Fri, Nov 19, 2010, at 12:01 AM
  • It sounds like Chaffee has a great future.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Nov 19, 2010, at 2:04 AM
  • Bloomfield 7th grade finished with two losses this season, both of whom came from Dexter. They lost at Bloomfield by 12 the first time with 1 starter out. The next loss was at Advance in the SCAA tourney. They beat doniphan by 1 in OT for the Fisk championship as well. Decent talent, and plays well together. Have a very talented player in Noah Vandiver.

Also I don't know their record or JH grade but an aquaintance of mines daughter plays on a dexter's girls team. I know they did real well this year. I believe they beat poplar bluff 41-6 Also I beleive one of their losses was to jackson on the road by about 10, but with Chad Allen as their coach this year...like to see what these girls do in a couple years.

-- Posted by semolian on Fri, Nov 19, 2010, at 5:05 AM
  • I caught that Chaffee vs SCC game last night. The talent level was about normal for that age group except for Chaffee's No. 25(didn't catch his name). He stood out with really good ballhandling skills. The kid's got some handles.

-- Posted by sonofapgnamedChuck on Fri, Nov 19, 2010, at 8:48 AM
  • #25 is probably the younger Montgomery kid, Payton. Really good skills and will get better. Thing to remember about this group is they are playing without their #2/#3 player, another guard like #25 that can really handle the ball and shoot. That's the Henson kid who broke his leg during a Jr. High football game. Won't be able to play this year at all. Looking forward to see what this group can do as they get older, assuming they all stick with basketball.

-- Posted by deadred on Fri, Nov 19, 2010, at 9:32 AM
  • OOPS! Actually Chaffee 8th grade boys were 11-0 acter the SCC game.

-- Posted by hutcape on Tue, Nov 23, 2010, at 1:02 PM
  • Chaffee 8th grade boys lost tonight to East Prairie. 45 to 43. Two Chaffee guys had three fouls in the first quarter and by half time one had 4 fouls, 2 others had 3 and one guy had 2 fouls. Down to the wire, last 37 seconds Chaffee had the ball, missed two baskets -- one in the final second to tie the game and go into overtime. Lane Henson is back, playing cautiously, swished a 3 pointer. (Broke his leg during Jr. High football). Chaffee beat Scott Central, Scott Central beat East Prairie and East Prairie beat Chaffee. A three way tie for conference title. Next comes the tournament and we will see who winds up on top!

-- Posted by hutcape on Tue, Nov 30, 2010, at 1:16 AM

New Madrid 8th grade beat Cape central 8th grade lastnight.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Nov 30, 2010, at 9:47 AM
  • BuckMajor, is NM's 8th grade pretty decent? What are some other teams that size that are pretty good? Cape Central, Sikeston, Jackson, etc.?

-- Posted by Hemingway on Tue, Nov 30, 2010, at 9:53 AM

Sikeston's 8th grade is 2-0 and has beaten Kennett and Jackson. They play Dexter tonight.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Tue, Nov 30, 2010, at 10:31 AM

Hemingway, new madeira 8th grade is very good. One of the best classes in a while. They play sikeston soon and that should be a good game.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Nov 30, 2010, at 12:04 PM
  • Chaffee 8th Grade Boys -- Chaffee 51 - Delta 26

Chaffee got a buy in next weeks Scott/Mississipppi Conference tournament.

They play next Wednesday eve approx. 5:15.

Chaffee is 12-01

-- Posted by hutcape on Thu, Dec 2, 2010, at 10:54 AM

Sikeston's 8th graders remain undefeated after defeating NMCC by 8 last night. The 7th graders also won against NMCC by 38. Here's a link to the article(basketball write-ups at the bottom): http://www.standard-democrat.com/story/1686942.html

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Dec 10, 2010, at 12:37 PM

Sikeston only beat new madrid by 4 points. I was at the game, I don't know where 8 came from. #40 for yalls team is the clearly yalls best player. He's a great athlete. I talked to his dad afterward.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Dec 10, 2010, at 1:13 PM

You're right about the point spread...oops.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Dec 10, 2010, at 1:15 PM
  • Chaffee Scott/Miss JH Conference tournament.

Chaffee 43 - Scott City 16.

Chaffee 45 - Scott Central 32.

# 1 - Chaffee won the tournament!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chaffee's season record is 14-1

-- Posted by hutcape on Fri, Dec 10, 2010, at 3:26 PM
  • Sikestons 8th grade has a stud. Zach Jackson, he came and played open gym with varsity over break. He's close to 6 foot or 6 1. He can jump and rebound really good

-- Posted by 143SticksNRocks on Sun, Dec 12, 2010, at 7:13 PM

Yeah he's the kid I talked about in my post. I was impressed.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Dec 12, 2010, at 7:24 PM

Corbyn Blissett is another solid player on Sikeston's 8th grade squad. 7th grade really has only one standout player - Dominique Dyes.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Mon, Dec 13, 2010, at 8:28 AM

New Madrid 7th and 8th grade defeated Jackson.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Dec 13, 2010, at 9:16 PM

Sikeston Jr. High records:

7th grade finished 8-1 (lost first game to Kennett and won eight straight after that).

8th grade finished 12-1, beating Bluff in the championship of the Cape Tournament

9th grade is currently 12-2 after beating NMCC's freshmen 85-20 last night. Both losses were in overtime without a full squad.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Thu, Jan 27, 2011, at 10:11 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: