Semoball

High School Baseball Forum: Sr Babe State Tourney 7/14-18 in Chaffee

Posted by Coach Horrell on Sat, Jul 2, 2011, at 12:00 PM:

The senior babe ruth tournament is right around the corner and we are excited to put on this tournament. Hope to see a lot of local baseball fans come out and support the area teams in the tournament. Teams from this area will be Chaffee, Charleston, and either Jackson or New Madrid. Many of these teams have players from multiple towns so come out and support your kids. Should be a great, competitve event.

Replies (14)

• horrell09

Does Jackson not get an automatic invite to the state tourney since they are the defending champion?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Jul 2, 2011, at 2:00 PM
  • The state considered making a change to allow that. It was voted down though.

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Sat, Jul 2, 2011, at 2:05 PM
  • Jackson's league record sits at 4-8 and has a doubleheader verse Chaffee and the Charleston Woodpeckers remaining. While New Madrid's league record sits at 5-7 and has a doubleheader verse Chaffee and the Charleston Squirrels. Going to come down to July 5th and 6th to determine which team will get the third bid.

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Sat, Jul 2, 2011, at 2:08 PM
  • I predict Jackson makes it in based on this report.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Jul 3, 2011, at 4:04 AM
  • Update.... We just found out from the MO Babe Ruth State President that there are only 3 teams outside of this area which are eligible and participating in the state tournament. That would mean there are only 5 teams in the tourney: Chaffee (host), Charleston (regional host), Jackson or New Madrid (best record), Centralia, MO Valley, Mineral Area.

In an effort to make the tournament more competitive and have the full 8 teams, the State President has said he will allow all 5 of the teams in the SEMO South Sr. Babe Ruth league to participate. That means that, if the teams are willing, Jackson and New Madrid both will make the tournament, no matter who has the best record, and so will the Charleston Woodpeckers. We are waiting to hear from the coaches of these teams to see if they will participate.

-- Posted by deadred on Sun, Jul 3, 2011, at 11:03 AM
  • Not much to get excited about, with a "state" tourney with only "5" teams participating; even adding enough teams to make it 8, doesn't give one much to brag about! Might be time to consider dropping the affiliation of Babe Ruth!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Sun, Jul 3, 2011, at 1:38 PM
  • Who's bragging? I know I wasn't, I was just passing along information. I figured someone would have to chime in and be negative though. Still, the top 3-4 teams in the tournament are going to be very good teams. Maybe not as tough as the top Sr. Legion teams but some kids choose to play Legion and some play travel ball, and some play Babe Ruth. To each his own.

-- Posted by deadred on Sun, Jul 3, 2011, at 3:01 PM
  • Didn't mean it negatively toward the teams playing; not their fault at all! So, is there no qualifying district tournament then? I'd like nothing more than for the team from our area to get all the way to the world series... what an upset that would be, especially if they were able to bring home the title! Good luck!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Sun, Jul 3, 2011, at 4:34 PM
  • Unfortunately, with Sr. Babe Ruth since there are so few kids that age playing and they have Legion and travel ball to choose from, there are fewer and fewer teams in the state. There are 7 districs in the state and I think there were only something like 13 Sr. Babe Ruth leagues in the entire state. Basically, the winner in each league normally gets a spot in the state tournament so, unless there are multiple leagues in a district, then there is no qualifying tournament like there is at the younger ages. But, as you can see, many leagues and districts choose not to play in the post-season. Last year the state tournament at Charleston had only 6 teams.

-- Posted by deadred on Sun, Jul 3, 2011, at 4:43 PM
  • It will definitely be interesting to see how many teams participate in the tourney this year. Haha.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Jul 7, 2011, at 2:20 AM
  • 7 team tournament. Here are the first 2 days games.

Thursday 7/14:

New Madrid vs. Charleston Squirrels @ 2:30 pm

Mineral Area vs. Jackson @ 5:00 pm

Charleston Woodpeckers vs. Chaffee 8:00 pm

Friday 7/15:

Loser Mineral Area/Jackson vs. Loser Woodpeckers/Chaffee @ 2:30 pm

MO Valley vs. winner of New Madrid/Squirrels @ 5:00 pm

Winner Mineral Area/Jackson vs. Winner Woodpeckers/Chaffee @ 7:30 pm

-- Posted by deadred on Fri, Jul 8, 2011, at 8:22 AM
  • It should be a good tourney. Any predictions on a winner?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jul 8, 2011, at 2:53 PM
  • I heard that the Missouri Bulls 14U team beat Chaffee Sr. Babe Ruth last night with Cody pitching...Does anyone have any information on that game?

-- Posted by crackerjack on Fri, Jul 8, 2011, at 3:14 PM
  • They did beat us and Cody did pitch. They beat us out right. Beat us in every aspect of the game. If we don't play better than we have as of late state will be a quick exit.

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Fri, Jul 8, 2011, at 5:40 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: