Semoball

High School Baseball Forum: Top High School Players Around

Posted by CommittedFan on Sat, Mar 24, 2012, at 9:38 AM:

Give me your input!

Replies (66)

• Christian Cavaness, Cody Heisserer, Adam Grantham, Tanner Murphy, Brett Dirnberger, Kody Moore, Cody Payne, Clay Baker, Chase Young, Logan Dollins (hurt), Paul Fox, Tyler Anderson, Logan Faith, Dalton Elfrink, Jared Walker, Drew Harper, Moldenhauer, Dobblelare, Jesse Schott, Dylan Koehler

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sat, Mar 24, 2012, at 10:09 AM
  • Aaron Horrell

-- Posted by Hershisers and Old Fashioned's on Sat, Mar 24, 2012, at 3:26 PM

You will hear about Hunter Trevathon from Caruthersville in the next few years! The kid has a arm on him and just a freshman.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Mar 24, 2012, at 3:41 PM
  • Just like Cheese said Hunter is gonna be a BEAST!! Ive seen him play from 5-9. He's getting better every year. He's already the best fielder on the team.

-- Posted by Tigersfan on Sat, Mar 24, 2012, at 5:50 PM
  • I have also seen Hunter play for the last 3 or 4 years and he is going to be great. With that said I have seen the rest of the Caruthersville team and, well not so good.

-- Posted by mule1993 on Sat, Mar 24, 2012, at 7:28 PM
  • I don't think he was much of a ball player but dude can't straight up paint hershisers

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sat, Mar 24, 2012, at 8:30 PM
  • Paul Fox and Adam Vandiver , from Bloomfield .

-- Posted by Hightops on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 7:22 AM
  • Bloomfield won a pair yesterday . Beat Kelley 13 - 3 and beat Charleston 15 -0 . They are loaded and Vandiver and Fox pitched these 2 games . And they bay 3 and 4 in the lineup .

-- Posted by Hightops on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 7:27 AM
  • They are really good, but what happens after fox and vandiver pitch, then what do they have? Just wondering?

-- Posted by sportsarethebest on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 8:11 AM
  • Good question , but they score alot of runs . That is a big asset to have . But is there really alot of teams in this area that can go 3 and 4 strong ? Just asking ?

-- Posted by Hightops on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 8:28 AM
  • Once districts rolls around if u have a 1 or2 seed u only need 2 pitchers to make a nice run... look at Charleston

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 8:35 AM
  • Maybe we will find out tommorow , I heard yesterday , they have a twin bill Monday , anf Vandivet and Fox won't pitch . So we will know more after that . I think someone told me they plat Saxony , and Scott Central . Will have yo go with their 3 and 4 guys .

-- Posted by Hightops on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 8:37 AM
  • Yea I'm sure they'll pitch their number 3 Monday, due to SCC having a down year.

-- Posted by sportsarethebest on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 9:40 AM
  • McCord from Risco

-- Posted by dont worry on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 11:36 AM
  • I'm not trying to grind any gears but Bloomfield is not loaded. They might be a slightly above average team and that's only because class 2 is down this year. Fox and Vandiver are solid but I don't think either one is a top 10 pitcher in the area.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 12:44 PM
  • Fox is, I've never seen vandiver.. and I totally disagree about class 2 being down.. Greenville Bloomfield twin rivers malden valle malden crystal city and chaffee are all. Top 12 teams in the state

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 12:58 PM
  • D.J. Dowdy (Dexter)

-- Posted by Ernest p werl on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 2:56 PM
  • Dalton Woodard - Naylor

Scott Foster - Greenville

Logan Faith - Poplar Bluff

Jared Hathcoat - Ellington

Josh King - Poplar Bluff

-- Posted by Kidrayray on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 3:41 PM
  • I haven't seen anything on Naylor this spring. Has Woodard thrown any?

-- Posted by truebaseballfan on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 4:00 PM
  • Kody Moore, Dalton Elfrink, Dalton Woodard, Jordan Anderson, Tanner Murphy, Cody Payne, Alex Winkleman, Cody Heisserer, Tyler Anderson, IMO are all above Fox and possibly more. (No disrespect to the kid)

Greenville, Bloomfield, Twin Rivers, Malden, Valle, Crystal City, and Chaffee are all solid class 2 programs but IMO 3/4 or more of them honestly do not compare with some of the teams and talent Clearwater, Senath, South Pem., Campbell, Kelly, and Saxony Lutheran (class 1 at the time) had in the past 5 years. You also had Scott City in class 2 back then also. For example those teams had a decent amount of kids that went on to play ball at a higher level compared to the number that will this year.

I don't think it's so much the teams you listed are talented but the typical elite teams in class 2 besides Valle and Crystal City are down this year. Not to mention the team that represented Semo in class 2 at state last year is also severely down this year. That's why I really like Chaffee's chances this year in class 2.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 4:52 PM
  • I think Fox is definitely in the top 10 pitchers.

-- Posted by minn13 on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 5:45 PM
  • Sorry man but fox is better than about 4 of those kids and one of the is Cody Payne so you know I'm not being biased.. and crystal is the best they've been IMO.. 2 kids have scholarships to SEMO. Valley isn't as good this year but they're still a top 5 team and Bloomfield is a top 10 with their number 1 and 2 come playoff time.. Those teams you mentioned aren't near as good as Crystal City or valle. And Chaffee has beat 5 of the 7 teams you mentioned

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 6:13 PM
  • Fox is better than about 7 of them, he may not throw all that fast, but the kid knows how to pitch!

-- Posted by sportsarethebest on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 6:52 PM
  • Aaron horrell can't paint? That's crazy

-- Posted by Hershisers and Old Fashioned's on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 7:07 PM
  • Look up some of his work on the missourian

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 7:16 PM
  • I think your under estimating Payne 'nerd but i'm not going to argue Chaffee baseball with you. I don't know too many sophomores though that can fire 7 innings of 2 run ball against a solid class 4 team like Cape. Who would be your other 3 on my list after Payne? Just curious.

I agree completely on the Valle/CC statement. That's why I said 3/4 of the teams. I also think Twin Rivers and Chaffee should be in the top ten before Bloomfield and possibly Malden even though they're 0-3 right now. You also said you haven't seen Bloomfield's #2 throw but with their #1 & #2 they're a top ten team in the state?

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 7:53 PM
  • Vandiver isn't a top 10 pitcher but he can beat average teams.. in playoffs as a 1 seed they'll throw their 3 first game 2 second game and fox championship.. and I'm Payne's number 1 fan... but cape isn't the cape.of old. Payne is successful when his junk is working. He doesn't throw that hard though.

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 8:01 PM
  • What about the Cook kid from Portageville? I think he should be a sophomore. He was throwing some heat before he got hurt.

-- Posted by mule1993 on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 8:10 PM
  • I'm pretty sure they'd get a bye if they received the 1 seed. Isn't there only 6 teams in that district? Regardless though I agree, that's Bloomfield's district to lose.

I wish I could have been at that game. I was thinking Cape has to be down a bit this year after seeing the score. They did toss a freshman that seemed to do good for a freshman so that's something positive.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 8:15 PM
  • Central a solid class 4 school... No offense but not this year

-- Posted by killa222 on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 8:26 PM
  • We've played two games and we started off pretty dang bad last year too. Look how that turned out. We have a lot of new starters, just like last year, give it some time and you'll be surprised.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Sun, Mar 25, 2012, at 9:23 PM
  • Cody Groves, Gideon

-- Posted by chelco on Mon, Mar 26, 2012, at 9:31 AM
  • Chelco, I like groves but I don't think he deserves to be on this list before some players from Cooter, Holcomb, and Risco

-- Posted by Hornets on Tue, Mar 27, 2012, at 1:01 PM
  • Holcomb has a very good top to bottom! They pay good solid baseball! Risco and cooter are very good teams also risco is 3-0 and was yied 2-2 with cooter in second. Mccord is very talented hasnt really started hitting good yet! Chris pavy has two home runs one a walk off against saxony luthern. Mccord does have 1 hr and matt cummins 1 and brandon bixler 1.

-- Posted by proud pa pa on Tue, Mar 27, 2012, at 1:15 PM
  • Coooool.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Tue, Mar 27, 2012, at 1:39 PM
  • I think Risco will surprise some people this season. They've got a good line-up from leadoff down to the 6th hole. The bottom half is showing alot of improvement as well. I believe this group will be a contender. They also have pretty solid pitching

-- Posted by dont worry on Tue, Mar 27, 2012, at 1:47 PM
  • Risco used there i guess you would call it there #7 pitcher today and won over hayti 15-1. Pretty solid id say. Chris pavy has as many homeruns as hes made outs this year! 12 for 14 but im sure he cant keep it up. Lol he has 2 hrs one a walk off against saxony luthern. But you know he does play in that old weak tri county conference!

-- Posted by proud pa pa on Tue, Mar 27, 2012, at 10:07 PM
  • Who's Risco played so far pa pa?

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Tue, Mar 27, 2012, at 10:43 PM

Hunter Cook is a very good baseball player on the portageville baseball team he may only be a sophmore but can definitelt hang and is better than most of this guys on this list.

-- Posted by Dirty Joe on Wed, Mar 28, 2012, at 11:07 AM
  • He can hang? NO, Hunter Cook is not better than most of the guys on this list. Possibly not a single guy on this list. What are you his father? Hunter is decent, should be one of the best in a couple years. But hes young and can be much better

-- Posted by Hershisers and Old Fashioned's on Wed, Mar 28, 2012, at 12:00 PM
  • Is Hunter Cook the kid that pitched against Central?

-- Posted by crackerjack on Wed, Mar 28, 2012, at 12:15 PM
  • yes, he pitched againnst central

-- Posted by elephanttoe44 on Wed, Mar 28, 2012, at 12:17 PM
  • Wasn't at the game but heard he did a very good job. Didn't realize he was that young. Centrals pitcher was just a freshman.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Wed, Mar 28, 2012, at 12:20 PM
  • he's only 15 and yes centrals pitcher did a good job also.

-- Posted by elephanttoe44 on Wed, Mar 28, 2012, at 12:22 PM
  • Centrals pitcher is still 14. Sounds like some good pitching coming up. Central has another sophmore pitching that is only 15. I think he's the Chism kid that got the win at Jackson yesterday.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Wed, Mar 28, 2012, at 12:30 PM
  • i agree.two good young pitchers!

-- Posted by elephanttoe44 on Wed, Mar 28, 2012, at 12:32 PM
  • richland saxony lithern n pem and hayti. were tied 2-2 with cooter friday and got rained out.

-- Posted by proud pa pa on Wed, Mar 28, 2012, at 12:55 PM
  • You wont find a better arm on a center fielder than Cape Centrals Christian Cavaness!!

-- Posted by Jim P on Wed, Mar 28, 2012, at 2:51 PM
  • If the Grantham kid plays cf this year, a case could be made he would have the strongest arm.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Wed, Mar 28, 2012, at 5:31 PM

I heard cavaness hasn't had a hit yet? Is that true?

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Wed, Mar 28, 2012, at 5:55 PM
  • According to maxpreps through yesterdays game he hasn't had a hit but we all know he will come around. It's still early. I think he lead Cape in hitting last year before he got hurt.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Wed, Mar 28, 2012, at 6:29 PM

Hunter Cook is 15 also. and Hershisers and Old Fashioned's im not hunter cooks father i have nothing to do with the kid im not even from portageville for 1. im just a fan of semo baseball and all semo sport. and one thing I know is that hunter cook is a very good baseball player and is definetly better than some of the people on this list and can hang with probably all of them. and in 2 years, 3 years if you count this season he has left to play he can be the best player in the semo area.

-- Posted by Dirty Joe on Thu, Mar 29, 2012, at 11:08 AM
  • I just found it funny that you mentioned his name and his name only on both posts "Best Pitchers in SEMO" and "Best overall players in SEMO". You must know a lot about this 15 yr old to say he is better than some on this list, even though you dont live in portageville. I have seen him. Not denying he is good and has the tools to be great. But dont think he should be built up the way you percieve him to be. But whatever, your opinion

-- Posted by Hershisers and Old Fashioned's on Thu, Mar 29, 2012, at 11:53 AM
  • He can hang????

-- Posted by Jim P on Thu, Mar 29, 2012, at 1:49 PM
  • Hornets, I don't believe I was putting Groves on any list before anyone else. He is just a good ball player all around. That is my opinion.

-- Posted by chelco on Thu, Mar 29, 2012, at 5:23 PM
  • Hunter Trevathan has has GONE YARD in back to back games against Hayti and Kennett. Both have been to deep center. It'll be awhile before he hits it out in the biggest High School field in SEMO(THE LEGION).

-- Posted by Tigersfan on Thu, Apr 5, 2012, at 6:22 PM
  • Chelco I'm not saying he isn't a good player, or am I downing your opinion. I'm just saying in my eyes, there is players from Cooter, Holcomb, and Risco that I think are better.

-- Posted by Hornets on Thu, Apr 5, 2012, at 8:28 PM
  • That 2nd baseman from bluff isnt too bad. he is very solid defensively. hitting could use a little work but i hear he is hitting over .500 on the year

-- Posted by Tigers2638 on Sun, Apr 29, 2012, at 3:49 PM
  • There are definitely players hitting over 500

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sun, Apr 29, 2012, at 8:40 PM
  • Not that play at class 4 level consistently in this area...Ain't happening...Maybe teams that play Hayti, Caruthersville, Oak Ridge, Leopold, etc day in and day out...I bet noone on Bluffs team is batting 500 if they have played every game...

-- Posted by crackerjack on Sun, Apr 29, 2012, at 8:54 PM
  • Did not know that, thank you for the information, I'll keep that in mind

-- Posted by Tigers2638 on Sun, Apr 29, 2012, at 8:55 PM
  • I have seen Cook and Trevathan play for a few years now, They may not be the best this year but next year and the next they will lead there teams to some victories. As for the best this year the Lockert kid from Kennett has been a stand out at short and at the plate.

-- Posted by mule1993 on Sun, Apr 29, 2012, at 8:57 PM
  • If Trevathan can fix his attitude, he will become one of the best around. C'ville's baseball program can only go up with 6 combined sophmores and freshman starting on Varisity.

-- Posted by Tigersfan on Sun, Apr 29, 2012, at 10:04 PM
  • Twin Rivers lost their main player Stockton but they still have acouple studs on there Ryan Nippe who is batting a solid .410-.420 average, Lowe who is batting about .450 from what I heard and this Blake Moore kid who threw a no no vs bloomfield. Their 9-8 record don't reflect it but I think this Twin River team will b hard to beat come Districts

-- Posted by Voiceofwisdom on Sun, Apr 29, 2012, at 10:33 PM
  • One name I havent seen is Kennetts Daniel Lockhert. This kid is a gamer. He has a 20 game hitting streak. hitting over .500 He will be playing for North Dakota D1 next year, another good one is Logan Dollins even though he had shoulder surgery from football, which usually takes 18 months recovery time. He worked his way back into shape and has been hitting for kennett also over .500. Logan has signed with Arkansas State for next year. Both players could be drafted. Two very good players

-- Posted by baller83 on Mon, Apr 30, 2012, at 10:22 PM
  • Cole Blanton from Jackson High School, LF is batting over .300 avg and gets good reads on the ball

-- Posted by Baseball1994 on Fri, May 4, 2012, at 7:20 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: