Semoball

High School Baseball Forum: Capaha's

Posted by Fruit Hoops on Wed, Apr 9, 2014, at 4:50 PM:

Plaza Tire pulls their sponsorship from the Capaha's. Not for sure if there will be a team this year unless someone decides to step up and take over sponsorship.

Replies (23)

• Been around since 1800's and never won it all? Sorry time to go! Maybe the coach should have hung it up 5,10,15,20 years ago! My hats off to plaza tire hanging with them for ten years! Minus couple hundred thousand dollars ! Next year "year after painfully year doesn't cut it" sorry if the truth hurts!

-- Posted by Hatershate on Wed, Apr 9, 2014, at 7:42 PM
  • 47 years with no title! Then want new uniforms? Lol at some point you have to look within!

-- Posted by Hatershate on Wed, Apr 9, 2014, at 8:20 PM
  • Hatershate---Nobody cares what you think. The Capahas have always fielded a good team. I hope they find a sponsor.

-- Posted by I12 on Wed, Apr 9, 2014, at 8:24 PM
  • Hatershate has no idea what the caps are all about, teams they compete agianst in the tourny are basiclly pro teams. The caps may go to tourny with top players not even able to attend.

-- Posted by HOLYCOWMAN on Wed, Apr 9, 2014, at 10:10 PM

I will be surprised if they cant find a sponsor.

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Thu, Apr 10, 2014, at 8:30 AM
  • I think Cape Air would be a good sponsor!

-- Posted by Fruit Hoops on Thu, Apr 10, 2014, at 11:55 AM
  • Hatershate must be a Cubs fan.

-- Posted by B17Pilot on Thu, Apr 10, 2014, at 6:18 PM

Maybe Cape Air and Bart could co-sponsor.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Thu, Apr 10, 2014, at 7:10 PM
  • Seriously? Because they don't win the World Series, with tons of teams eligible, they shouldn't have a team? Whoever thinks that, should be fired, if they've "never" been at the absolute "top" in their field!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Thu, Apr 10, 2014, at 10:11 PM

I think it was overdue for Plaza Tire to pull out. It's a large sum of money to spend each year. (I don't care that they haven't won it all. It's not always about that. They field a good team year in and year out.) They run around like they have an unlimited budget. It may be just what the doctor ordered for them. They may have to do it the old fashioned way. FUNDRAISING! Wouldn't that just be awful, if the players had to drive themselves to a game and foot the bill? That is the way it is on a lot of other teams, and they may need to come to realize, it's what has to happen to keep a team. I do think they will find a sponsor, but i dont think it will be one that has been forking over money the way Plaza Tire did.

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 10:33 AM
  • The Capahas have been a part of not only Cape history but baseball history as well. They are the longest continuing amateur baseball team in the country. That is one reason to support it. Another reason it provides quality successful entertainment year-in, year-out. Each year the Capahas Auction has been held to raise funds. However, after a period of time, because of rising costs and the advent of independent minor league baseball teams that forced many amateur teams to fold, the auction no longer could defray the costs of rising gas prices, motel rooms, baseballs and other-related baseball-related expenditures. I could not even imagine how much money the Bolens have spent out of their own pocket to keep the Capahas afloat all these years or the monies donated to help upgrade Capaha Park facilities when SEMO was reluctant to do its part. For people to suggest they spent money like they have an unlimited budget, you need to crawl back into your hole. If this team folds, then a piece of Cape history folds with it.

-- Posted by Cards45 on Fri, Apr 11, 2014, at 5:35 PM
  • Cards...The city owns Capaha. Why would the university pay to upgrade the facilities? It doesn't belong to them.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Sat, Apr 12, 2014, at 3:30 PM
  • Maybe because they play their home games there????

They most definitely should chip in their share.

-- Posted by crosshair on Sat, Apr 12, 2014, at 3:55 PM
  • Just heard that El Torerro is looking at sponsoring the Capahas.

-- Posted by newbie67 on Sat, Apr 12, 2014, at 7:10 PM
  • Is Chico's Bail Bonds no longer in business?

-- Posted by RedShirt on Sat, Apr 12, 2014, at 10:28 PM
  • Hope someone steps up. It would be a shame to see it fold. The Bolens have given lots players a chance thru the years to help their careers and the SEMO program.

-- Posted by objective fan on Sun, Apr 13, 2014, at 5:42 PM
  • The Capahas are good for the area.

-- Posted by Winner11 on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 10:24 AM
  • I hope El Torerro has 40k a year to put up like Plaza did!

-- Posted by Fruit Hoops on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 1:11 PM
  • On another topic, SEMO could really use some major upgrades to there field. Capaha is a nice city park. Not a division I baseball field. SEMO has a great thing going with Bieser. Now they need a field that will draw some major talent. And yes it matters

-- Posted by Coachken on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 8:13 PM
  • So why did Plaza Tire drop them?

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 9:24 PM

Capaha has actually been voted the nicest playing surface in the OVC. So its not as bad as it gets.

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Tue, Apr 15, 2014, at 11:09 AM
  • I like the atmosphere at capaha, its in a beautiful tree filled park and tons of improvements have made it an excellent field. It was not a D-I caliber facility 15 or so yrs ago but i think it is now. Its got character!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Apr 15, 2014, at 12:16 PM
  • Will say this. There are better high school fields in St Louis area than SLU's. I was amazed that was the best they could do.

-- Posted by Coachken on Wed, Apr 16, 2014, at 8:14 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: