Semoball

High School Baseball Forum: Preseason State Baseball Rankings

Posted by drawmules on Wed, Feb 3, 2010, at 12:39 AM:

As I was searching for the state basketball rankings, I discovered the state baseball rankings. The rankings were released by the Missouri State Baseball Coaches Association. on Feb. 1.

Notre Dame, Clearwater, Bernie, Cooter, Oran and Oak Ridge are ranked in their respective classes.

CLASS 4

1.Fort Zumwalt South

2.Lee's Summit North

3.Columbia Rock Bridge

4.CBC

5.Festus

6.Parkway Central

7.Fort Zumwalt West

8.Kearney

9.SLUH

10.Francis Howell

Other receiving votes: Nixa, Oakville, Marquette, North County

CLASS 3

1.Cape Girardeau Notre Dame

2.Carl Junction3.Harrisonville

4.Fulton

5.Lutheran South

6.Kirksville

7.Bishop Dubourg

8.Southern Boone

9.Potosi

10.Boonville

CLASS 2

1.Valle Catholic

2.Stafford

3.Plattsburg

4.Clearwater

5.Carrollton

6.Blue Eye

7.Eugene

8.Conway

9.Lexington

10.Linn

CLASS 1

1.Dora

2.Santa Fe

3.LaPlata

4.Bernie

5.Cooter

6.Sturgeon

7.Liberal

8.Oak Ridge

9.Oran

10.Glasgow

Replies (12)

• I cannot remember the last time four teams from Southeast Missouri were ranked in Class 1. According to the rankings, there are several very talented Class 1 teams in Southeast Missouri this season.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Feb 3, 2010, at 12:43 AM
  • I see that Carl Junction and ND are the number one and two in class three. Could we possibly see a rematch in the state tourny?

-- Posted by whipperwheel_36 on Wed, Feb 3, 2010, at 1:44 AM

The preseason rankings almost always put the previous year's final four teams in the top 5. Unless coaches know for sure the team was hit hard by graduation.

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Wed, Feb 3, 2010, at 1:41 PM
  • Bernie was not in the final four last year.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Feb 3, 2010, at 1:45 PM
  • 6-4-3=2 is correct. A general pre-season starting point is the last year's 4 finalist.

This fall Bernie beat us 2 out of 3. I assured the other committee members that Cooter would not have a gripe being ranked somewhere behind the Mules. We had a 16-6 fall season with 3 starters missing (they're back healthy).

FYI-Former Senath-Hornersville player/star Keith Roberson is now coaching at Class 3 Carl Junction (lost to Notre Dame in the finals.) Keith was one solid player. I met Keith at the MHSBCA luncheon in Jefferson City.

-- Posted by mac baseball on Wed, Feb 3, 2010, at 8:10 PM

Tell me why Bernie is a Class 2 school but a Class 1 baseball team.

-- Posted by Blam it on the Ref on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 8:18 AM

Ref, there are 5 classes in basketball and only 4 in baseball.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 8:59 AM
  • Larry Doby is correct.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 9:29 AM
  • Larry Doby is always correct.

-- Posted by officerrodfarva on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 11:39 AM

To be more specific on the class breakdowns, any sport with 5 classes uses the following standard enrollemnt breaks. 0-130 Class 1, 131-245 Class 2 246-577 Class 3, 578-1202 Class 4, and 1203 and above class 5. In baseball the modified enrollment breaks are used. Which means a combination of equal enrollment and standard enrollment breaks are used. In baseball, the top 96 schools in enrollment are class 4, then the remaining classes are equally divided in 3 classes.

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Thu, Feb 4, 2010, at 12:56 PM

"I cannot remember the last time four teams from Southeast Missouri were ranked in Class 1. According to the rankings, there are several very talented Class 1 teams in Southeast Missouri this season."

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Feb 3, 2010, at 12:43 AM

This post intrigued me. So, I thought I would do a little research to see if I could find out if this has happened before.

As it turns out this is not the first time four SEMO area teams are in the Class 1 coaches' poll. That was pretty simple to determine. The difficulty arises when one tries to determine the most recent occurrence. The dilemma is in deciding on the boundaries of Southeast Missouri.

If one takes a more liberal view of the topic and merely divides the state into 4 quadrants then you only have to go back to the final poll of the 2009 season that had Cooter (4), Oak Ridge (8), Bernie (9) and Winona (10).

If a more conservative view of what constitutes the regions is used and Winona is taken out of the mix, then the most recent foursome would have been in 2007. In fact, the first four polls of the year each had four Semo teams. In the April 27th poll the teams were: Oran (2), North Pemiscot (3), Cooter (7) and Bernie (8). April 13th had the same four teams in a slightly different order. They were North Pemiscot (3), Oran (5), Bernie (6) and Cooter (9). April 2nd showed Oran (2), Bernie (5), Cooter (7) and Saxony Lutheran (9). The preseason poll predicted Oran (3), Bernie (5), Cooter (7) and Saxony (9).

In a nutshell, if you are liberal it happened June 8, 2009. Or, for the conservatives it was April 27, 2007.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sat, Feb 6, 2010, at 11:23 AM
  • Cool post Larry Doby!

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, Feb 6, 2010, at 11:31 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: