Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Athlete of the Year

Posted by semohoops on Mon, Mar 29, 2010, at 9:09 PM:

This is a thread that was started on another story, but it has been buried. But one blogger was saying how much success NMCC athletes have done after high school and they also said Kony Ealy should be Athlete of the Year because of what he has done in his career, which also includes a very strong freshman year at Portageville.

NMCC would be hard-pressed to top a list of athletes that have had collegiate and pro success that Sikeston could compile. That list dates back to the early 1900s and is still going strong today. NMCC has had good sports success, but the school has only existed for 30 some-odd years.

And Athlete of the Year Award isn't a lifetime achievement award. You reward what an athlete has done during that calendar school year. If you're picking based on that logic, then it's hard to go against what Juqualin Wiggins has done. All he does is win. I think football Class 4 MVP on a state semifinal 13-1 team, and first team all-state on a quarterfinal basketball team separates him from anybody else this year.

And if you go on head-to-head, Wiggins teams have never lost to NMCC.

But we still have the spring sports to factor in to an Athlete of the Year award as well. If Ealy does track and goes out and wins state in something, then I might change my opinion on who the top athlete this year would be because then you are talking about a state champion.

Sikeston's Cal Lane got Athlete of the Year last year and after basketball season was over, he wouldn't even be in the discussion. But then he goes out and helps the Sikeston track and field team win the state championship. To my knowledge, Wiggins isn't doing any sports this spring.

Replies (31)

• Wiggins "Teams", not Wiggins. They are both all staters in Football, and Basketball. With Ealy playing a spring sport he has the uper hand. On top of all his other accomplishments his senior year.

-- Posted by bignasty on Mon, Mar 29, 2010, at 10:02 PM
  • I would have to go with Kony Ealy. He has just as much experience and recognition as wiggins in bastetball but in football he has more experience than wiggins. He also got recruited to a major college, so they must have seen something lol!

-- Posted by SoaringEagle on Mon, Mar 29, 2010, at 10:22 PM
  • The award I am talking about isn't who is going to the biggest college or who has more experience. The award I'm talking about is who had the better year in athletics. To me, it's Wiggins hands down.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Mar 29, 2010, at 10:35 PM
  • then why isn't he going to the bigger college? honest question, no joking, I'm just curious? Are his grades lacking? Has he decided to not play sports in college? Is it because his other years of playing sports weren't as good as this year? Are any colleges trying to recruit him right now? Anyone know?

-- Posted by SoaringEagle on Mon, Mar 29, 2010, at 10:42 PM
  • And just to note: I think wiggins should be recruited to college. He is a great player in two sports.

-- Posted by SoaringEagle on Mon, Mar 29, 2010, at 11:08 PM
  • Wiggins doesnt have the grades i think or he would be going to a BIG college.

i think he is goin to a jr college for two years,then a big one. I may be mistaken.But Wiggins has sure worked for this.Just because your going to a big school doesn't mean you should automatically get it. Good Luck to Both.

-- Posted by GODOGS! on Thu, Apr 1, 2010, at 8:35 PM
  • I will take Kony over WIGGENS in baskettball But athlete of the year should be OTTO PORTER can Ealy or Wiggens say state champ and allstate in the same sentance.

-- Posted by braves84 on Thu, Apr 1, 2010, at 9:36 PM
  • I cast my vote for Fred Garmon. He was a junior at Kennett this year. He is a PG.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Apr 1, 2010, at 9:42 PM
  • If Otto has an all-state year in baseball, then I'll consider him as Athlete of the Year as well. I don't even know if he is playing baseball. If he is, he is certainly the tallest baseballer I've seen around here. Maybe he's doing track? I really haven't kept up.

Athlete of the Year, by my definition, is excelling in more than one sport.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Apr 7, 2010, at 2:28 PM
  • I think it comes down to Kony and Juqualin. To me, it's a pretty close race. Both are All-State in two sports, but Juqualin is All-State in a larger classification AND was voted the MVP of the entire state on offense in Class 4 for football. That puts Juqualin over the top for me. There are plenty of all-state, one sport athletes, (Otto Porter, Bobby Hatchett, Ray Clark, Jacob Tolbert, etc.) I don't think being a one sport superstar is enough to win this award. At least it shouldn't be.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Wed, Apr 7, 2010, at 3:26 PM
  • For those that argue Kony got a scholarship to Mizzou and is more deserving based on that fact, I think you are pursuing the wrong argument. The question is not, "Who will make the best college athlete?" Kony has the size and ability that translate better at the next level, but he did not have a better year than JuQualin. It's sort of like the Heisman trophy, which is supposed to signify the best college football player of the year. It is not meant to predict success in the NFL, and history has taught us over and over again the best college football player frequently is not a good NFL prospect.

The Heisman = "Best College Player" not "Best NFL prospect.

The Athlete of the Year = "Best local high school athlete" not "Got the best college scholarship".

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Wed, Apr 7, 2010, at 3:32 PM
  • kony is a three sport athlete, wiggins is a two sport athlete, enough said!!!!!!!!

-- Posted by ealge97 on Wed, Apr 7, 2010, at 4:21 PM
  • I know lots of three sport athletes. Doesn't matter if you have no talent at sport number three.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Wed, Apr 7, 2010, at 4:35 PM
  • Kony has the upper hand with the 3rd sport which he does have a lot of talent at. If he becomes anymore than all district he should win athlete of the year.

-- Posted by bignasty on Wed, Apr 7, 2010, at 5:39 PM
  • What is his third sport? If it's track, what is/are his event(s)? I paid very close attention to track and field last year and I don't remember Kony at all. Did he run last year? I remember Stevenson making the finals at state in the 100 meter dash, but he is the only person I remember from NMCC. Though I would agree. If Kony is good enough to make it out of district in a track event, that would be impressive and he would deserve the athlete of the year, IMO. I'm still very curious what event he could possibly qualify in.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Wed, Apr 7, 2010, at 5:45 PM
  • I just looked at the results from the district championship meet from last season and Kony isn't even listed. So either: A) Kony didn't run track last year and that's not even his 3rd sport. B) Kony ran last year but just isn't very good at track C) Kony didn't run last year and has hidden talent that has yet to be revealed or D) Kony ran last year and wasn't very good, but has improved remarkably.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Wed, Apr 7, 2010, at 5:53 PM
  • Kony has extreme talent, don't under estimate him.

-- Posted by bignasty on Wed, Apr 7, 2010, at 7:28 PM
  • There is no doubt he has "extreme talent", I'm just wondering what his 3rd sport is and if it's track, did he run last year and what is his event? I'm very curious what event it could be. Certainly he isn't a distance runner. He's not built like a pole vaulter or hurdler. He doesn't possess sprinting speed to be an all-district sprinter. Could he be a good high jumper? thrower? I'm a track enthusiast and just very interested. I'd love to hear a response aside from "he has talent". What is his sport? What is his event? If it's track, what times or distances do you have to back up your assertion that he may be all-district caliber?

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Wed, Apr 7, 2010, at 7:31 PM
  • Would you like his shoe size and fries with that?

-- Posted by bignasty on Wed, Apr 7, 2010, at 7:48 PM
  • So I guess you don't know.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Wed, Apr 7, 2010, at 7:49 PM
  • bignasty, you come on here and say "Kony has the upper hand with the 3rd sport which he has a lot of talent at", yet you evidently don't know what that sport is, or what degree of talent he has. That puts a rather large hole in your argument. If you DO know and are just being obstinate, fine. But if you would share some information, it could lead to an interesting discussion.

And I don't care about his shoe size, but some fries would be nice.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Wed, Apr 7, 2010, at 7:52 PM
  • I know, some McDs fries would be nice. I doesn't matter what Kony did last year, just like you said. His success in track this year is gonna depend on how hard he works at it.

-- Posted by bignasty on Wed, Apr 7, 2010, at 8:52 PM
  • I suppose I'll find out what events he runs this Saturday at the Jackson Invitational if NMCC is running in it. I'll be there and if Kony is running, I'll provide a report on how he does. I will say again, if Kony can pull off an all-district performance in track, particularly given that district 1 is very arguably the strongest track district in the state, in my opinion he would definitely deserve the athlete of the year award. District 1 is very tough: containing Farmington, Potosi, Festus, North County, Notre Dame, Kennett not to mention defending state champ and 2 time defending district champ Sikeston. I don't even think he would have to make it to the state finals. All district would be enough for me.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Wed, Apr 7, 2010, at 8:58 PM

Kony plays golf for NMCC! He could be great at nmcc tennis and or swimming but his real passion is the sound of a fresh titleist golf ball rattling around the cup after a nicely sunk 30 foot downhill putt! But who wouldn't like that!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Apr 7, 2010, at 9:09 PM
  • Kony is running track this year. I believe he is on a couple of relays and is a jumper. Kony and Wiggins Co Athletes of the Year. Enough said and everyone can enjoy some Cardinal baseball.

-- Posted by coachpanther on Wed, Apr 7, 2010, at 9:19 PM
  • I didn't even know Ealy was in track. To me, Stevenson is the far superior track athlete. Ealy is the better basketball player. Stevenson is the better football player. You could make an argument for Stevenson being the Athlete of the Year over Ealy if he does well at the state meet and Ealy doesn't make it. I also have yet to hear what other sports Otto Porter or Bobby Hatchett are doing. As of right now, until things are proven on the track or any other spring sport, Juqualin Wiggins is the Athlete of the Year.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Apr 7, 2010, at 11:41 PM
  • IMO the athlete of the year selections are in this order: Wiggins, Ealy, Stevenson. The first two have credentials that are well documented. Stevenson, however was an excellent football player(All-State), a good basketball player, and is good in track. If he has an All-State year in track, that may sway my opinion. If not, I would go with Wiggins, who should be in track , so the streets don't get him. Good luck to all these fine athletes who are also good kids.

-- Posted by semo ref on Thu, Apr 8, 2010, at 8:01 AM
  • Juqualin Wiggins resume....

Football:

1st team all-conference

1st team all-region

1st team all-state, coaches poll

1st team all-state, AP poll

Class 4 Offensive MVP, coaches poll

Carr Trophy Winner

Player of the Year for Standard Democrat

Team finished 13-1 and #4 in final state poll

Basketball:

1st team all-conference

1st team all-region

1st team all-state, coaches poll

1st team all-state, AP poll

All-Standard Democrat selection

Team finished 21-4 and #4 in final state poll

What are the resumes so far of the other candidates? In my opinion, for Ealy or Stevenson to top this, they will have to be all-state tracksters.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Apr 8, 2010, at 9:51 AM
  • You have me convinced about Juqualin, but then I don't get to vote. I have also noticed your lady high jumper has been outstanding so far. Good luck with track this spring. I will be by to spectate soon.

-- Posted by semo ref on Thu, Apr 8, 2010, at 10:00 AM

Wiggins does have great credintials along with a great story to go along with his senior year. IMO be looking for Stevenson to be all-state in track. this is a very realistic possibility that could change some things.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Apr 8, 2010, at 11:54 AM
  • I would be surprised if Stevenson isn't all-state in track. Could make things interesting.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Thu, Apr 8, 2010, at 12:20 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: