Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Does anyone know if Farmington's AD was officiating Cape game last night?

Posted by tlks2much on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 11:00 AM:

I know he was bad at Sikeston vs Borgia game last year and I wasn't sure if that was him last night. We got beat by a better team but he didn't help.

Replies (40)

• Farmington AD was at the Farmington/Sikeston game last night.... saw him there.

-- Posted by reddogfan on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 11:19 AM
  • He was only bad last year if you were a Sikeston fan. I was at that Sikeston/Borgia game and he definately was not as bad as you make him out to be. He actaully won some sort Official of the Year award last year and I've seen him call games before and he does a fine job. And no, he was not doing the game last night. I've never seen any of the refs from last nights game. In my opinion, Farmington could have had their AD, head coach, and principle all calling the game last night and it wouldn't have made a difference. Sikeston could roll them up in their sleep. They are just that much better.

-- Posted by officer pigskin on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 11:58 AM
  • I never said I was rooting for anyone, I just like watching area high school basketball and he was terrible last year.

Was he reffing Sikeston/Farmington last night or was he just there?

-- Posted by tlks2much on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 12:12 PM

tlks2much:

Do you honestly have to ask if MSHSAA would allow an athletic director to officiate his own school in a playoff game?

-- Posted by whistleone on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 12:20 PM
  • It would not surprise me at all! If he can officiate a game in which a team just beat his school and knock them out of playoffs, anything is possible.

-- Posted by tlks2much on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 12:27 PM
  • I thought it was weird that Pat did ref that game, but he had no connections to either team except the fact that Sikeston just eliminated his team from the playoff's. I questioned a few people about it after the game and my understanding was that Coach Hollifield was asked about Pat reffing the game and he approved him. Just what I was told.

-- Posted by mandm96 on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 12:32 PM
  • Was there a big crowd at Sikeston game last night?

-- Posted by tlks2much on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 1:58 PM

tlks2much, it was pretty crowded...standing room only for the most part.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 2:09 PM
  • Almost all of Cape's players were in foul trouble last night... That's never happened this year. The only player who was not in foul trouble was Ozbun.. Boerboom and Williams fouled out Tisdell, Lane, and Branch were all in foul trouble.

-- Posted by CTalum on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 2:27 PM

Sounds like you guys got a taste of what Sikeston has dealt with up there in Mineral Area the last few years.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 2:28 PM
  • I agree with sideline on this one, when your going north your going to get a lot more fouls called.. I'm not trying to bash cape at all but they've never played in a playoff game up north to see the different officiating.. Its a whole different ball game..

But cape did limit granger from the scores i seen, and they had a good season.. Congrats

Did cape play any games in the Stl area?

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 3:21 PM
  • Great season for the tigers!!!

-- Posted by sportswatcher on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 3:53 PM
  • Put it to rest. What happened last year is over. You make it like if Sikeston or Cape gets beat its not because someone might be better, it that it is always going to be the ref's falt. What I watched last night is Sikeston is a very great team. I don't think that a few calls going against them will get them beat. Talked to a few people who was at last nights game with Cape and they said that McCluer was the better team. Sometimes better teams win.

-- Posted by bigknightfan on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 4:39 PM
  • Sikeston is a great team and should roll over everyone in their way but if you get refs that dont call it both ways it makes it difficult but they should be deep enough to withstand that cape was not deep enough to shake off some questionable calls and it didnt help missing layups from point blank range

-- Posted by cttigers on Thu, Mar 3, 2011, at 4:49 PM
  • Youre making it sound like Cape got blew out of the water. Were you at the game? Three times the lead was within 2 points.. not counting when the Stars were up 2-0 in the first quarter. The made freethrows the Stars made in the bonus killed the Tigers.

How bout that ref up in Farmington yelling at the Jungle?? Im not sayin the Jungle was innocent, cuz we looooove gettin a lil rowdy, but does Anyone else think that was a little unprofessional?

-- Posted by Sanitary South on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 7:38 AM
  • I was at that game and never seen any ref "yelling" at the jungle. If anything there was 4 Sikeston Administrators standing right there and I think if there was a problem someone would have taken care of it.

-- Posted by bigknightfan on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 9:56 AM
  • FYI bigknightfan, the jungle you are referring to is Cape's students section. Sikeston's student section is called the Bums. If the ref yelled at the Bums I didn't see it either. Nonetheless the Jungle, the bums and ND's student sections are some of the best high school cheering sections I've ever seen.

-- Posted by dog2167 on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 10:04 AM
  • The "Bums" simply owned the Farmington section. Wasn't even close hands down one of the better nights all around. The game, the bums/cheerleaders/peppers, and the crowd all were working together to make a great atmosphere. I realize winning the game doesn't hurt but the Farmington kids kind of stoked the fire in the third quarter. Bad idea!

-- Posted by JuniorBulldog on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 10:21 AM
  • bigknightfan it was the cape mcluer game where the ref yelled at the jungle

-- Posted by cttigers on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 10:23 AM
  • did u see capes ad? he saw the ref do it he stepped down immediately and just watched the ref...props to mr tolison...refs just need to tune the crowd out noone is ever going to be happy with refs

-- Posted by cttigers on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 10:33 AM
  • Cape fans I feel your pain. When you head in the Mineral Area games are called tighter than SEMO. It happened a little in our game then it completely stopped and they were letting everything go.

I was hoping you guys could have won but there is NOTHING that anyone can say or do to take away from what you guys accomplished this season. Nothing!!

Yes you lost to us and Charleston and I don't know off top of my head, but Who cares?!? You guys won your district for the first time in quite awhile AND you were within an arms reach of one of the top class 5a teams in the state. Nothing to hang your head over.

-- Posted by dog2167 on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 10:44 AM
  • Hey guys. Refs are people too. Blind, heartless and inept people, but people nonetheless. :-)

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 10:48 AM
  • Kind of like lawyers bro!

-- Posted by JuniorBulldog on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 10:57 AM
  • Haha you right Rocketsbro. You right. Haha.

-- Posted by dog2167 on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 11:00 AM
  • Thanks dog2167 we will take those losses to sikeston and charleston both of those teams will probably be state champs...only other loss to jackson well um we wont talk about that haha

-- Posted by cttigers on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 11:13 AM
  • Dang, Junior! That was just wrong! It's true, but wrong!!!! :-) I'm just glad you guys are leaving me alone for a little while!!!!!!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 11:22 AM
  • Most lawyers aren't blind.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 11:41 AM
  • The refs definatly were blind.. They didnt even let Cape come within 10 points of the other team they called so many fouls. Could it really be that Cape was playing that dirty that all of our players were in foul trouble? Could Mclure North have been playing that clean that they got hardley any fouls called? We would have had a closer score if the refs would have called more fouls on their team.

-- Posted by CTalum on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 12:17 PM

Folks, the refs had very little to do with the outcome of this game. Cape lost because it couldn't handle McCluer North's quickness and B. J. Young.

They turned the ball over time and time again against North's fullcourt press. When they did set up their offense and get the ball into the paint, their big men were far too tentative finishing plays.

They stayed in the game on the strength of Williams' outside shooting and their excellent zone defense, which had North's offense out of whack most of the game. Had it not been for points off steals, North would have been in trouble.

I was rooting for Cape since I am (or was) a Bootheel kid. That was the first time I'd seen them this year. I was expecting to see a little more aggressiveness, but I realize it's hard to look aggressive against a quicker opponent. Still, I thought Boerboom was the only Cental player who played with the p*ss and vinegar required to beat a team of North's ability.

I agree that Central should be very proud of its season. Even the ending wasn't that bad. They hung in against a team that had just drilled Hazelwood Central, which many in StL thought would beat Chaminade this weekend in the quarterfinals.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 1:48 PM
  • ^ who is this guy haha.

Im pretty used to refs from up north by now so I didn't have much trouble with the calls especially after playing in northwest last year where you got called if you were wigging arms reach. Cape lost because they played soft, not the whole team but a few people. Lane was very off, almost looked scared to take it inside, everything was a 12 foot fade away. Ozbun hurt us by not being a scoring threat and having trouble controlling the ball. McCluer left him open on purpose it looked like and he still wouldn't shoot. Ya it seemed like we got called for more stuff than they did but quicker and smoother players can do that and the refs not see it. Tisdell, williams, and branch all played very solid. Curtis played solid but couldn't get many open looks, they stayed on him tight except when he was able to get open off breaks. He impressed me a lot with his defense though, when we were in man he shut BJ down in the halfcourt, I think he had 4 points while branch gaurded him halfcourt but he was so fast nobody could catch him if he got lose on a break.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 2:25 PM
  • Semosports, I know my thought but what IF Sikeston played that BJ kid? Would he be held in check with our quicker guards? Just wondering your thoughts.

To go along with that, a ref from up north actually said a game too close to call would be Sikeston vs Chaminade. No lie!!!

-- Posted by dog2167 on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 3:08 PM
  • Scott1130, I do not know about that statement. I Havent seen Beal play. However, I've heard Sikeston players couldn't stop other teams best players before. I just wouldn't say Sikeston couldn't.

There might be a great player on a team, but if you run them to death like Sikeston does, how good is he in the fourth quarter when it counts? Again, not saying we have the BEST individual players by any means. I would take it even further...I doubt there is a starting D-2 player on this team. BUT I will say as a whole, as a TEAM, I'd take this group against anybody on any night. They have the capability to stop anyone.

-- Posted by dog2167 on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 3:52 PM
  • Beals going to get his points, reguardless.. You can run him to death, but in the process he might drop 40.. Its stopping his supporting cast..

I think SCC and Sikeston could give the class 5 teams all they could handle.. On any night

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 3:55 PM
  • Better said inspector. Better said. I agree SCC and Sikeston could give them a show

-- Posted by dog2167 on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 4:06 PM
  • If anyone watched the Chaminade/WG game you would have seen Beal gassed.. He plays the whole game and he plays hard.. He missed over half his FT in the 4th quarter.. is that from lack of preporation? Heck no, its from him being out of breath..

SCC and Sikeston would both run them to death.. Would they win? I can't say, but it wouldn't be a 20 point blowout by either team..

I think the McCluer north Chaminade rematch will be a lot closer..

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 4:51 PM
  • I will say this though..

I remember talking to a starter for sikeston about the game with cape(the second one) and he said something like "i'll be real with you, cape has what it takes to beat us, you have to have a good guard who can limit the turnovers and a big man who can clean up the boards"

That sounds a lot like McCluer north.. So i'm not trying to say sikeston is supreme, but i do think they'll win.. I wish we could see some of these matchups!

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 5:00 PM
  • I dont think cape played that soft...i think they were afraid to play that tough because of the whistle..boerboom did play tough and look what happened he had 3 fouls barely into the half..that being said we did miss a few layups and to inspector Sikeston would CRUSH Mcnorth no doubt about it

-- Posted by cttigers on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 5:18 PM
  • I think we'd win too, i was just stating how different teams match up.. Cape matched up good with sikeston, ND matched up good too, they both have a good guard and a good big man..

And these were two tough victories by sikeston, which both will help us on our way to a state title.. HOPEFULLY...

And some cape people need to make the trip up to Farmington to help rep semo! hahah

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 5:53 PM

Chaminade-Sikeston would be a dandy. Chaminade does not have great complementary guards, and Beal would be forced to work very hard against the press. Gadget is correct--he was gassed at the end of the Webster game because of tough man-to-man defense and because he had to battle on the glass all game. The Sikeston press would likewise take its toll.

But there are reports that Chaminade is about to get Brandon Hannah back. Hannah is a Mizzou football recruit who has been out the last 2 basketball seasons with injuries. He was one of the key players in Chaminade's championship run in 2009. If he does play and is in shape, he gives them a beast on the boards.

The Chaminade-Sikeston game won't happen, but Sikeston will likely get its test in the final if Soldan makes it through. Soldan is largely the same team that gave Borgia fits in last year's semi. They have some talent.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Fri, Mar 4, 2011, at 6:51 PM
  • Im not talki.g about we weren't aggressive defensively but rather how soft we were on offense. Even when granger wasn't in the game we weren't taking it to them inside and drawing fouls that way like what they did to us.

In my honest opinion I would say 1 on 1 BJ young would take anybody sikeston has, yes he is that fast. It would all depend on how he shoots and how sikestons help defense is. They wouldn't be able to play up on him while pressing cause he would take one step and be gone, he has all the moves to weave through a whole full court defense at full speed. Think of a slightly faster bobby hatchett but 6'3"

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sat, Mar 5, 2011, at 12:42 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: