Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: SEMO Conference Tournament

Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Oct 9, 2011, at 5:36 PM:

With less then weeks away from the first practice I've already been talking to a bunch of people about the upcoming basketball season and everyone's saying that they've been hearing sikeston will receive the number 2 seed behind charelston. Thoughts about that and your pre-preseason predictions

Replies (114)

• I think Sikeston is the clear #1 seed.....until they are knocked off. I definitely think Charleston is the #2. It will be a very good test for both teams....early in the season.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sun, Oct 9, 2011, at 5:41 PM
  • Those two are the top two seeds definitely

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Oct 9, 2011, at 5:46 PM
  • How in the world do you give Charleston the top seed over Sikeston? I know they have the Tucker kid and should be really good this year, but Sikeston is bringing back several kids with significant varsity experience and adding several to the lineup from an top-notch JV program. Until Charleston proves themselves with this team, Sikeston has to be the number 1 seed.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Sun, Oct 9, 2011, at 6:00 PM
  • Perhaps a more interesting question . . . Will Sikeston or Charleston advance deeper in the state playoffs in its respective class come March?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Oct 9, 2011, at 6:03 PM
  • I could see both of them making it to the title game, that's just by the lay out of the state and the amount of talent each team has. But it's a little early to make a guess, seeing as we don't know what will happen between now and then. But I'd like both teams to bring home a state title.

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Oct 9, 2011, at 6:35 PM
  • But the coaches get to vote on the seeds of the teams, and we know how that can go

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Oct 9, 2011, at 6:42 PM

I could see how charleston would be #1. the coaches vote, and they know this years talent on the teams. Last years records should not be factored in. The coaches know each others teams, that's why they pick seeds. We as fans don't know as well, so our picks would be biased. Just my opinion.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Oct 9, 2011, at 6:51 PM
  • Your school picked sikeston to be the 7th seed after mike left, in which we went to win it that year, so the coaches might not know that much!! Haha and I believe sikeston is going for the 4-peat?

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Oct 9, 2011, at 6:53 PM
  • But I get what your saying buck, and as long as they don't end up on the same side of the bracket then I won't complain. Because that SHOULD be the championship game, and probably the game everyone wants to see.. IMO

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Oct 9, 2011, at 6:54 PM

Yeah I understand what your saying. Anything can happen as the year goes on. Just my opinion that the coaches would pick the seeds better than we would. I hope there on opposite sides, thall be a great championship game!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Oct 9, 2011, at 7:04 PM

I think Sikeston would get the #1. I would not be up in arms if Charleston got it because it would still set up a finals matchup anyway, but I think that Sikeston has enough talent coming back that they are better than Tucker and Parham. Let's not forget that Charleston did lose some talented guys in Jerry Carter and some other starters I believe meaning they aren't just an older version of last year's team. While Sikeston loses four of their five starters, everybody knows how much playing time all of the various bench guys got. They won't be coming into this season inexperienced. Plus, JT Jones, Reece Porter, Markeith Bratcher, Kyland Gross, and Cord Sheehy will all be coming up from the JV (who is unbeaten the last two years) to create another deep team that will be able to do some of the same line change style substitutions. Either way, Sikeston and Charleston are clearly a cut above the other teams in the tournament and the SEMO area in general besides Caruthersville. Some may think it is because the area is down but in actuality, the whole area has upped itself in talent level over the last few years and the best teams are just that much better. My seeding order would be

1) Sikeston

2) Charleston

3) Cape Central (the only team that seems to be discernible from the rest of the group)

4) Notre Dame (I think that they are contractually obligated to be in the top four. Yes, I am kidding)

5) Jackson (I think they have the most coming back out of the remaining teams)

The other three are either on the rise but not quite there yet (New Madrid) or lost some key talents and look to be in rebuilding mode (Dexter with Flannigan and Bluff with White). It should be a fun tournament but I think most of it will be in anticipation for the Sikeston-Charleston final with some interest in the semi-final matchups no matter if Sikeston plays Cape or ND and to see if Charleston doesn't lay an egg early like they have the last two or three years. Also, seeing some combination of a Cape-ND, Jackson-ND, or Cape-Jackson matchup is always a treat. I think it should be a fun way to start off the season.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Oct 9, 2011, at 7:04 PM
  • i agree with what has been previously said about sikeston being number one until they are knocked off but i think charleston has more then enough fire power to get the job done they have a good chance at state this year they have hands down the best player around here and in high school that can make a world of difference

-- Posted by cape222 on Sun, Oct 9, 2011, at 7:35 PM
  • Charelston has the potential to do whatever they want, and so does sikeston. There's going to be two tough and exciting games to watch

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Oct 9, 2011, at 7:51 PM

I actually think that this year could be another with several SEMO teams with a chance to win a state title.

Sikeston and Charleston will be top tier with Caruthersville right on their heels.

For the Semo Conference I thinks Sikeston can win it again as long as this team gels together early. It could be something that take a few more games to happen unlike last year. Sikeston came out of the gate hot last season. I think it may take anywhere from 6-10 game to really know how good Sikeston can be this season. I do think by seasons end they will be a FORCE in Class 4!

-- Posted by Haterade on Sun, Oct 9, 2011, at 7:57 PM

One benefit Sikeston has is that they will have more of their starters ready for the basketball season. The only starter who plays football is Keldon Warfield with bench players Kyland Gross and Markeith Bratcher. Last year, Janeil Hatchett, Darryl Howard, and Corey Porter all played football. With more people on their basketball legs earlier, Sikeston may be able to avoid a bit of the early season conditioning problems.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Oct 9, 2011, at 8:01 PM
  • I don't think it would a huge shot in the arm if Charleston does turn out to be seeded #1. I know it really has nothing to do with last year, but it is hard to argue Sikeston's season last year. On the other hand, like Sideline said, Sikeston did lose 4 starters. That might have a little bearing on it if it does happen. Sometimes it's good to be the underdog! Put's a target on someone else's back for a while.

-- Posted by mandm96 on Sun, Oct 9, 2011, at 8:28 PM

I have an interesting question. I guess I just realized that keldon is the only starter that plays both sports. That never dawned on me. Why is he the only one!? Does sikeston have a big enough pool of boys to chose from that they don't have to get football players!? Or do the kids just not like basketball, or do the coaches discourage players playing both so they don't get hurt. I know at NMCC when I went to school, and the team now, like the whole basketball team is on the football team. It would be the opposite where only one kid doesn't play both. I'm really just wondering, just a curious observation that maybe someone could shed some light on.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Oct 9, 2011, at 8:53 PM
  • I think Cape has a couple big surprises for everybody this year...no Curtis is not playing again.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sun, Oct 9, 2011, at 8:58 PM

Neither is armondo thatch.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Oct 9, 2011, at 9:04 PM
  • He should help NMCC out quite a bit, good point gaurd and only a junior.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sun, Oct 9, 2011, at 9:27 PM
  • Usually Sikeston's top football players are also the top basketball players. There's a few exceptions year to year of course. Holifield and Gibbs have a very good relationship and Holifield is actually the one that encouraged Juqualin Wiggins and Janeil Hatchett to play football their senior years. I would guess that Warfield and Bratcher are potential starters on the basketball team and they will have 3 or 4 others that will be major contributors.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sun, Oct 9, 2011, at 10:32 PM
  • I could see us being number 2, but if a coach votes us lower then that, considering everyone lost a few of their big players and the JV went undefeated again, then I'd ask him why to atleast hear a good lie.

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Oct 9, 2011, at 10:52 PM
  • I'm not sure Jackson won't finish better than No. 5 in the conference.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Oct 9, 2011, at 10:57 PM

Care to elaborate Dustin?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Oct 9, 2011, at 11:06 PM
  • Just a small observation, doesn't the #1 seed play a game at 5:30 or something for their first game? #2 plays after that at 7 or 730. Just a homer talking here but I would rather have the 2 seed and play later that first night. Our home crowd has a chance to get off work and get to the game. 1 or 2, who really cares. They will end up in the champ game and decide it on the court.

-- Posted by JuniorBulldog on Sun, Oct 9, 2011, at 11:12 PM
  • Junior....nice to see you back on the boards! How's the Chase going??? At least you made it to the Chase this year...

To answer your question.....I thought our AD just scheduled us at 5:30 but I'm not 100% sure about that. Either way....I agree with you. Let's play at 7 or 7:30 to let the home crowd get to the game!! GO DOGS!!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sun, Oct 9, 2011, at 11:31 PM
  • Charelston brings back their best player, but ND and DEXTER both lose their studs. Pb loses white, and Jackson loses their qb and a few others. Cape lost Jesus, boom and one of their two forwards. Sikeston lost janiel, Corey, Darryl, and Will. But these seniors now have been undefeated 3 years including JV. And the players on the bench have been undefeated for a couple years now. Or at least some of them are. So if we lost players it wouldn't have been as bad if it would have been Dexter or Pb. So what else could you argue? You can't sat because of last year, but if we lose a game early on everyone's going to do the same thing they did on football and start to doubt them, but I don't see that happening

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 12:19 AM
  • Cape will be just as big as last year but much more athletic and versatile. We're going to be more of a fast pace team like sikeston was last year because we have the athletes to do it.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 6:57 AM
  • I'll have to see it to believe it

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 7:37 AM
  • If you look at only whats returning....Charleston is returning 2 key players with an average supporting cast. Their JV has been beat by Sikeston for the last couple years. Sikeston is returning several guys that played significant minutes in a system that relies on wearing teams down. Teams couldn't really key on 1 player because they were capable of scoring from several different players. Replacing those four will be tough, but their bench is just as strong if not stronger. They should be able to throw out quicker overall team speed. They will be searching for a leader to replace Corey. Should they be number 1? Yes is my opinion. The team potential they have returning overall is better than Ctown, no disrespect. After all, their system is what they thrived on last year, with the right kind of commitment from the players. Either 1 or 2, these two teams should meet in the finals.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 8:32 AM

SemoSports, how did the Cape JV do last year? Honest question, not trying to be sarcastic. I'm just not sure. And you guys are replacing James Lane, Curtis, Boerboom, and sharpshooter Williams. You had a really limited bench last year. Are you sure you are going to have a "more fast pace team like Sikeston was last year" when you only have one starter returning and the bench got so little time? On a sidenote, man have I missed basketball discussion.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 8:39 AM
  • Sideline, I can't wait for basketball season. On a good note, Football discussion should pick up in the coming weeks with Cape, Farmington and Sikeston. Even so, it will never fill the hole in my heart that basketball discussion fills. :-)

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 8:46 AM
  • Sideline, I can't wait for basketball season. On a good note, Football discussion should pick up in the coming weeks with Cape, Farmington and Sikeston. Even so, it will never fill the hole in my heart that basketball discussion fills. :-)

• I was so excited I posted that three times!!!

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 8:47 AM
  • Charleston is returning Parham , Tucker , Cassell , Gray , Scott , Moore , and players from jv such as Watkins , Webster , Davis , R. Bogan ,and freshmens D.Bogan and T.Craig and more potential payers also . Don't just say Sikeston over Charleston because they have more people coming back because Charleston is about to bring the HEAT!!

GO JAYS!

-- Posted by BlueJay Fan on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 9:21 AM
  • I think the point was that the players coming up have defeated charelstons players that are now on the varsity program. And that sikeston can run the same system as last year considering the talent that was on the JV, not just because we have more quantity. The JV players and this years seniors are extremely good.

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 9:48 AM

Who all did you lose BlueJay Fan? I know there was Carter and Armstrong. But I could have sworn there was a third starter who graduated?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 9:58 AM

Is there a link to Charleston or Sikeston's schedule for this upcoming season? Might wanna check a few games out!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 10:56 AM
  • I honestly did not watch a single jv game last year but heard they did pretty well. We wont be replacing the seniors with only jv players. We have had a few kids transfer in that have been starting on their varsity teams as underclassmen. Because of our size and athleticism we probably wont be using the perimeter that much. We have a few kids that can shoot outside but there isn't a need when inside shots are so much easier.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 1:18 PM
  • The ability to shoot wherever on the court is what separated sikeston from just run and gun teams.

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 1:25 PM
  • @Sideline Avery Williams , but he wasn't no a starter he was the shortest player on the team .

-- Posted by BlueJay Fan on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 1:50 PM
  • Cheese......I have the Sikeston schedule, but no link to it. I think semoball will have the schedules for most, if not all, teams in the area. It will probably be after Thanksgiving....at least that's my guess.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 3:02 PM
  • You can find all the schedules on Mshsaa.org .

-- Posted by BlueJay Fan on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 3:36 PM

Here is Sikeston's schedule as far as I can tell. There may be a game or two I am missing. Rocket will be able to fill in the holes tomorrow.

11/29-Blytheville, 12/2-@ Dexter, 12/3-Showcase: Clarksville, Ark. (Defending Arkansas 4A state champions), 12/5-12/9-SEMO Conference Tourney, 12/12-Ste. Genevieve. 12/13-@ Perryville, 12/16-@ Notre Dame, 12/26-12/28-@ St. Dominic Tourney, 1/6-Charleston, 1/9-@ DeSoto, 1/10-Fredericktown, 1/17-Farmington, 1/20-Kennett, 1/24-@ Jackson, 1/27-@ Caruthersville, 2/3-Poplar Bluff, 2/10-@ Cape Central, 2/14-New Madrid, 2/17-@ Bernie, 2/20-2/24-Districts in Sikeston

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 4:07 PM

I'd say that Charleston really looks like the only team on the schedule who will be making a major run at "The Streak" of home wins for Sikeston this year. I'd put the number of potential losses before districts at five so far though there are always those teams that are better than first thought. Those games are Clarksville, Charleston I and II, a team in St. Dominic potentially, and Caruthersville. That would be my worst case scenario. Best case scenario, another undefeated season. Is it possible? Yeah. Does that need to be the concern? No. I want this team to set itself up for another deep playoff run. While Notre Dame and Farmington are going to be down, DeSoto is going to be up with Jared White and their 6'8" center being seniors as well as Imagine Prep with Martavian Payne having another year of development. It is going to be a really fun year.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 4:19 PM
  • I tend to agree with you, sideline. However, a loss to Desoto or Imagine Prep would be the end of the season. I think that the regular season games with potential losses are the ones that you listed. The guys that will be seeing a lot of time this year are the ones that have not lost in several years, so they will have a lot of confidence going into the season.

By the way...I will have my Sikeston breakdown sometime before the season starts. It's gonna be a secret.....keep watching semoball. You never know when I'm gonna put the thread out there! :-)

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 4:28 PM

I know Rocket. I'm saying those are teams that could block the way for Sikeston in the playoffs with the potential to beat them. Of course, the goal is win another state title but to get to the title game again will be an accomplishment. Soldan is going to be really strong on the other side of the bracket. I think a matchup between Sikeston and Soldan would be one of the best matchups between any two teams in the state this upcoming season as will Sikeston-Charleston.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 4:31 PM
  • We have the players to shoot outside when they want, but if i was the coach i wouldn't have them take a shot from outside 12 feet. As big as we will be why take the chance of losing a possession due to a long defensive rebound when you can pound it inside and get easy buckets. Plus, when you play mainly an inside game it opens up your sharp shooters because the defense focuses on your post play and turns their back to the perimeter. The only thing that could hurt us this year would be the players grades.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 8:17 PM
  • So what's your prediction for cape this year semosports? Another district title?

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 8:52 PM
  • is it true that central got a transfer that is some ex NBA players son...if so i hear the kid is a beast around 6"6 and SEMO is wanting him..from Cairo?..this is just what i have been hearing, if anyone knows about this fill me in

-- Posted by superbub on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 9:25 PM

Nesby's kid?

I figured he would go to Notre Dame!

-- Posted by Haterade on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 9:47 PM
  • I don't think that would surprise anyone big baller. Branch didn't bring them a Championship so I guess they have to go find another ringer. If what your saying is correct of course!

-- Posted by mandm96 on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 9:54 PM
  • its just what ive heard..dont take my word for it..im just looking for the whole story

-- Posted by superbub on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 10:00 PM
  • Yes nesby's son Darius is at central, that's one of the surprises. He isn't quite 6'6" more like 6'4/5" around 220 just a really strong kid, built like dwight howard. He came to central his freshman year because his uncle wanted him out of cairo but he didn't stay.

Gadget, if we can keep everybody on the team we should be the favorites for districts. We already have some great team chemistry and they want a state ring BAD. None of them play football so they have ll been in the gym working together a few times a week.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 10:01 PM
  • is he a guard or post player?...and think if the kid would have been at central last year..T.J., Tanky, Curtis, the Darius kid..Williams, Borboom...That could have been extremely dangerous if the Darius kid is really that good..is semo wanting him?

-- Posted by superbub on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 10:08 PM
  • whats the other suprises central has?

-- Posted by superbub on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 10:09 PM
  • He can play anything from 2-5, no clue where he will be yet. Don't know if semo wants him. He doesn't show up wearing full semo gear like curtis did haha.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 10:11 PM
  • You'll have to wait until we play for the rest.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 10:11 PM
  • Can't say I can't blame him for wanting to get out of Cairo!

-- Posted by mandm96 on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 10:13 PM

Who are you trying to keep secrets from? What use is there in that? Is JungleDud a basketball player now or something?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 10:14 PM

The recruits just keeeep onnnn cominggg! And people yelled about ND recruiting! LOL!!

-- Posted by mmorse on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 10:14 PM

Awesome... I hope you all can keep the recruits coming in each year.

Any chance ND ticked his family off before he chose Central?

You would think a free "how do they put it BETTER education" would make Nesby want to play at ND.

Good Luck Cape, one of these recuits will help you to the promise land. I hear that there is an amazing 7th grader in Oak Ridge who might be open to coming to Central!

-- Posted by Haterade on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 10:18 PM
  • Lol sideline secrets just make ut more fun for me and add to the suspense of waiting for the season.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 10:26 PM

Well, I'm glad it gives you something to do. Hah. If folks don't know what to expect from Sikeston by now (smothering defense, lots of shooters, frequent subbing, frenetic pace), then they shouldn't be analyzing basketball.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Oct 10, 2011, at 10:29 PM
  • Darius Brown is Nesby's son. He played at Paducah Tilghman last year. I saw him a couple years ago at Cairo. Very athletic and strong.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Oct 11, 2011, at 8:04 AM
  • semohoops..... u know of any stats? Cairo, Paducah, or wherever else he played.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Tue, Oct 11, 2011, at 8:10 AM

Semohoops is the wrong person to ask about stats! LOL

-- Posted by Haterade on Tue, Oct 11, 2011, at 8:17 AM
  • I don't have any stats at the moment. Just give me some time. But he was a freak on the junior high level in Cairo. About 6'3" in the 8th grade and dunking out.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Oct 11, 2011, at 8:45 AM

I found this on froggylandsports.com about Darrius!

"Darrius Brown has the talent to be Tilghman's next big star, and he already shows flashes of dominance and greatness. The sophomore's numbers...10.7 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 62.4 FG%...are just scratching the surface of what he will do, and when he is fully energized to the task at hand, he may well give the Tornado the two most gifted players in the region. The high-riser can already change a game, and as he matures as a player you'll be looking at a future Player of the Year candidate."

This was written on March 2, 2011 with Tilghman only playing 2 more games.

-- Posted by Haterade on Tue, Oct 11, 2011, at 9:51 AM
  • that is good defective work stuart smolley. just is as just any chance that he could tg to sikeston bulldog?

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Tue, Oct 11, 2011, at 10:03 AM
  • I read somewhere that his freshman year at cairo hr was averaging close to 20ppg and 11 rebounds. That was at a much smaller school but still.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Tue, Oct 11, 2011, at 1:31 PM
  • He didn't attend Cairo his freshman year. He moved off to Texas I think and then ended up in Paducah.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Oct 11, 2011, at 1:46 PM

I just spent a little time at the field house. It put me in the basketball mood, I'm ready for some bball!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 11, 2011, at 9:41 PM
  • Is hogan prep going to be as strong as they were last year? Looking at it from this early on in the season is difficult but id say that would be their biggest challenge in their playoff run

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Tue, Oct 11, 2011, at 10:08 PM
  • They were last year too also

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Tue, Oct 11, 2011, at 11:34 PM

I wouldn't give Charleston the District Championship just yet. Caruthersville is very capable of beating them this year. They return 4 starters from last years team, plus a couple new additions who moved back to Caruthersville not to mention a few JV players who were pretty good last year. Whoever comes out of that district should be one of the favorite's to win state.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Oct 11, 2011, at 11:48 PM
  • new additions to a Heeb coached team?

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 8:18 AM

Barkleyfan you better watchout saying stuff like that when I am taking a drink... I almost soaked my screen!

I may have to give you the add on name (comedian)

-- Posted by Haterade on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 8:53 AM
  • Just an observation.....how is it that Sikeston doesn't have "move in's" but other teams in the area do? Just curious.....

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 11:48 AM

Who would want to move to sikeston....!? Kidding kidding ;)!

#Herman Cain For President!!!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 11:54 AM
  • Sikeston hasn't had a ton of move ins, but the Porter family moved to Sikeston in '05 and they are still reaping those rewards. Cal Lane moved in, although he lived here up to 6th or 7th grade, then moved back in 11th grade. Matt Ritch moved in. So basically three families moved in from '05 to '07 that played a role on the basketball team, although one of those families had 5 boys lol. But when you consider, say, the last 20 years, 3 families with boy athletes isn't very many for a town of this size when compared to the other larger communities in Southeast Missouri. Especially when you consider how many families move out or take their services to Notre Dame. But part of that is Sikeston is not a growing town. There is nothing to bring families here.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 11:57 AM

It is strange the way some of these schools can randomly get people out of nowhere. It is recruiting plain and simple in St. Louis because there are a lot more question marks on boundary lines for public schools and payment in private schools. Down here though, Cape usually can get guys since SEMO is right there and a lot of the smaller schools have a lot of kids that moved away and then move back. I guess people who live in Sikeston don't ever have a reason to leave our paradise before graduating high school. The only move-ins I really remember are the Porters and Cal Lane who moved back.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 12:00 PM

Semohoops, I thought Matt Ritch moved over from Richland because there was some re-districting on boundary lines or something that switched him to Sikeston. I may have made that up though and not realized it.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 12:01 PM
  • I don't moan about not getting move-ins. We have enough talent in this town to produce winning teams. Of course, if a talented kid moves in, obviously you use those talents. But my only concern, year in and year out, is keeping the talent we have here and developing it. Theoretically, if we can win state with a lineup of 6'2" to 5'7", then we should be able to do it again with future teams.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 12:15 PM

Cville lost a ton of students when the tornado tore our town up. Parents decided to take kids to different school. We now have our school back so kids are moving back to finish their schooling at Cville. What's wrong with that?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 12:20 PM
  • Cape has had several move-ins over the years. No doubt about that. Two 6'8" guys, a 6'6" guy, and star point guards and now supposedly another new one. But some of that is expected with Cape being by far the largest city between St. Louis and Memphis. Some of it is not expected though, lol.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 12:21 PM
  • Wasn't Mrs. Porter working in the Sikeston school system before the boys began school here? Maybe not... Cal did live here before he moved back. Matt Ritch came to Sikeston because his parents moved here and bought a home.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 1:02 PM
  • I give Sikeston nothing but props for what they did last year winning state and going 30-0 but your not going to win state in class 4 or 5 very often with a line up of 5'7 to 6'2.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 1:44 PM

It helps when you have ten 5'7" to 6'2" guys getting quality minutes. Hah. But I do agree with you BIGELW. Luckily, Sikeston is one of the few programs who have found a way to make that system successful. Heck, Holt started guys who were 6'6", 6'6", 6'7", and 6'8" with the tallest one being signed to SIU on scholarship and Sikeston still were able to compete on the boards and come out with a win. If we didn't run as many guys as we do, I don't think we would be able to have as much success with our small guys. However, a big guy is a little closer to the ground when the opposition has them slumped over gasping for air.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 2:00 PM
  • Of course everybody would like to add 5 inches to all their players. Bluff has been blessed with giants over the years, as has Cape and Jackson. Charleston has churned out 6'7" and 6'8" guys. Sikeston just doesn't have that. Never have. We just make do with what we have and get after people. It has been working and it will continue to work. I see no signs of them slowing down any time soon. They have been stout on every level for years. If they can win state with last year's team of "small guys" then they can do it again. Will Sikeston win state again? Maybe. Maybe not. But they will be contenders every year for the forseeable future.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 2:16 PM
  • I guess Michael porter was the last good big man for sikeston? And why wasn't fondon, I believe that's his name that graduated with porter who was 6'6", was he very good or?

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 2:47 PM

Dominic Fondon literally had bricks for hands. He could defend but was a liability offensively from what I remember. He was a great athlete though. Helped us immensely in winning the state track title.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 2:51 PM
  • Michael Porter, one of the tallest Bulldogs ever at 6'6". The tallest Bulldog ever that I know of is 6'7" Ben Anderson. Anderson was a solid player. Fondon didn't get many minutes, but he was closer to 6'5". He was a heck of an athlete that was a superstar in track, but didn't have the high level of skills in basketball. A four-time all-state trackster though. Not many of those walking around. Those are the tallest of the talls when it comes to Sikeston. Heck even a small school like SCC has giants over the years. 6'7" Doug Blissett, 6'8" Marcus Timmons and of course 6'9" Otto Porter.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 3:04 PM
  • sideline....you better give credit on your quote "

However, a big guy is a little closer to the ground when the opposition has them slumped over gasping for air." You know that rocketsbro said that.....

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 3:09 PM
  • I thought Michael porter was realistically more like 6'4"

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 5:58 PM

Nah he really is 6'6 man.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 6:35 PM

He's really 6'2". We always just cooked the books.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 6:37 PM
  • I was going to say because I saw him at sikeston mcdonalds his senior year and again on semos campus a few weeks ago and didn't think he was that tall. I remember when we beat you on our homecoming he wasn't the tallest on the court but if he was 6'6" he would've been

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Wed, Oct 12, 2011, at 7:24 PM
  • You got your facts a little mixed up BB-BORE. Cape didn't beat Sikeston Porter's senior year. Sikeston beat Cape Central twice that year, 74-30 in the SEMO Conference Tourney and then 70-46 in the regular season. In fact, Cape Central has only beaten Sikeston one time since 2005.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/sikeston-bulldogs-(sikeston,mo)/basketball-...

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Oct 13, 2011, at 7:59 AM
  • Can I report sideline for plagiarism?

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Thu, Oct 13, 2011, at 8:40 AM
  • Semohoops once again has deflated Cape with cold, hard facts.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Thu, Oct 13, 2011, at 11:26 AM

I'd like to make one addition to the Sikeston schedule I posted earlier in this thread. They will also be playing in the Cape Shootout this year.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Oct 13, 2011, at 11:38 AM

Oh, and Cape never defeated Sikeston when Mike Porter was on the team. That game was the year after he was gone and Will was out with a concussion from the SCC game.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Oct 13, 2011, at 11:40 AM
  • Ya my bad I was thinking of the next year when Will couldn't play. Sideline is correct. I need to stop posting while studying at night.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Thu, Oct 13, 2011, at 11:43 AM

Here is another neat page that Maxpreps has. They have full records for Sikeston going back to Michael Porter's freshman year. It is cool to look at and may remind fans of some games they may have forgotten. Most other schools have similar records going back to the 05-06 season.

http://www.maxpreps.com/local/team/records/game_history.aspx?schoolid=e29c9967-4...

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Oct 13, 2011, at 12:14 PM
  • I can't help myself but PB beat them at our homecoming his senior year.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Oct 13, 2011, at 1:23 PM

And Mike beat Bluff five times. Gotta love it.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Oct 13, 2011, at 1:31 PM
  • I remember that Bluff game. Sikeston jumped out to a 15-1 lead and foul trouble started to mount quickly. Raulston was unreal that night. He couldn't miss. Sikeston couldn't stay out of foul trouble and it killed them. A few days later, Sikeston beat Scott Central in "The Game."

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Oct 13, 2011, at 1:55 PM
  • I remember that hoops. Big lead at half and then Raulston came out in the 2nd half and was unconscious!

-- Posted by mandm96 on Thu, Oct 13, 2011, at 9:36 PM
  • The foul problems forced Sikeston to pull off the press and back off the pressure. It was just a tough night and it's unfortunate because Sikeston came out smoking. Lots of nasty slams by Cal Lane and Michael and Juqualin Wiggins got a jam. It was an entertaining game. But it all worked out for the Bulldogs. Not many folks were thinking about that Bluff game after that SCC game which still ranks as the best game AND atmosphere I've ever seen.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Oct 13, 2011, at 9:41 PM
  • Now that I look back on it, qualin was a monster.

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Thu, Oct 13, 2011, at 10:33 PM
  • The best high school game atmosphere I have ever experienced. Best atmosphere the Show Me Center has ever produced. Probably the most talked about game in SEMO bball history.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Fri, Oct 14, 2011, at 8:01 AM
  • Sikeston's Schedule:

11/23/11--11/26/11 Notre Dame JV Tourney Jr. Varsity Away TBA

Tue 11/29/11 Blytheville High School Var/J.V. Home 6:00 pm

Fri 12/02/11 Dexter High School Var/J.V. Away 6:00 pm

Sat 12/03/11 Rector Shoot-Out Var/J.V. Away 5:30 pm

12/05/11--12/09/11 SEMO Conference Tournament Varsity Home TBA

12/12/11 Ste. Genevieve High School Var/J.V. Home 6:00 pm

Tue 12/13/11 Perryville High School Var/J.V. Away 6:00 pm

Fri 12/16/11 Notre Dame High School Var/J.V. Away 6:00 pm

12/26/11--12/28/11 St. Dominic Christmas Tourney Varsity Away TBA

Fri 01/06/12 Charleston High School Var/J.V. Home 6:00 pm