Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Southeast Christmas tournament let the seeding begin

Posted by oak ridge fan on Mon, Dec 5, 2011, at 1:29 PM:

I know it's early but it's raining, seems like a good thing to do. Just a prediction. I do not want anyone to take offence. Because it's early and things can be changed

1 charlston

2 cape central

3 Scott county

4 Jackson

5 Notre Dame

6 Leopold

7 Advance

8 Scott city

9 Oak ridge

10 Chaffee

11 Oran

12 Bell City

13 Delta

14 Kelly

15 woodland

16 meadow heights

Replies (184)

• pretty accurate

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Mon, Dec 5, 2011, at 2:01 PM

oak ridge fan i know this is off the subject but was wondering how the light boy is? I seen him go down at the woodland tourney and looked like he was in alot of pain. Just wondering and hope he is ok.

I think your predictions are really close. The only chage i would make is #2 and #3 swap.

-- Posted by goBIGblue on Mon, Dec 5, 2011, at 3:02 PM
  • Totally agree with your seedings.

-- Posted by bigtenfootball4ever on Mon, Dec 5, 2011, at 3:11 PM
  • I think the semo conference tournament this week will give us a lot better idea. But for now your seedings look good.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Mon, Dec 5, 2011, at 3:28 PM
  • I could see Oran being put above Oak Ridge just due to the fact they took 3rd in their respected tournament where as Oak Ridge took 4th. Now if Oak Ridge wins out until the seed meeting then yes they will be above Oran for sure. Oran has two tough games coming up with Risco and Scott City next week that might claim them as the 11th seed. Chaffee is a tough team to place because they don't play no one in the tournament before it starts.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Mon, Dec 5, 2011, at 3:46 PM
  • Swap positions #5 and #7 teams.

-- Posted by hornetsfan on Mon, Dec 5, 2011, at 5:07 PM

I may swap 5 and 6 as well as 2 and 3 but no way would I switch 5 and 7. Notre Dame just played Borgia to a ten point game at Borgia. Even though they are down, they are still good. 2 and 3 are the only ones I would really seriously consider changing in the top nine or so. Oran could be a little higher maybe. But that's all I really see right now.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Dec 5, 2011, at 5:25 PM
  • Oran ahead of Chaffee maybe? Otherwise looks pretty good.

-- Posted by Golden_One on Mon, Dec 5, 2011, at 7:08 PM
  • Looks pretty good, but is Oak Ridge really a 9? Haven't watch them play yet this year, so im just wondering.

-- Posted by Lovebasketball on Mon, Dec 5, 2011, at 7:50 PM

Notre Dame just earned a top four seed in the Christmas tourney beating Jackson by 27. Jackson probably deserves the 6. I think Leopold is better than them.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Dec 5, 2011, at 8:22 PM
  • should be a great tourn. this year, i see several upsets in the tourn. this year. i think charleston will be the team to beat in it though

-- Posted by kmasters on Mon, Dec 5, 2011, at 8:52 PM
  • goBIGblue I think the light boy might be out for the season . tore his acl a few months ago, he thought he could go with a brace. it was working out pretty well the first couple games.Might have strained the mcl. I talked to him, he said he doesn't want to go through the pain he had at woodland again. I don't blame him. Just to bad it's his senior year.

-- Posted by oak ridge fan on Tue, Dec 6, 2011, at 7:29 AM

oak ridge fan Thanks fro the update. I hate to hear that for him. I hope things turn out for him and maybe it won't be as bad as it sounds. That really stinks for him and his senior year. My best wishes to him for a speedy recovery.

-- Posted by goBIGblue on Tue, Dec 6, 2011, at 10:16 AM
  • Looks like a lot more parity this year.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Dec 6, 2011, at 10:34 AM

After watching Jackson play last night, I think Advance is better than Jackson. I'm just basing that off watching Jackson play one game so I may have caught them on an off night but I doubt it.

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Tue, Dec 6, 2011, at 11:12 AM
  • When will the real seeding come out?

-- Posted by loveofthegame on Tue, Dec 6, 2011, at 8:38 PM
  • Looks like Oak Ridge is going down, but how did Delta beat Oak Ridge, I watched Delta and I wasn't very impressed, was anybody there?

-- Posted by Lovebasketball on Tue, Dec 6, 2011, at 10:27 PM
  • 1.Charleston

2.SCC..they are proven winners and are doing it again this year

3.Central/ND..toss up but i think ND has the edge if the Brown kid continues not to play..if these 2 teams were to play i pick NDs preassure (still not as good as sikeston) over CTs half court offense they like to run

-- Posted by reddog23 on Tue, Dec 6, 2011, at 11:31 PM
  • Did Risco really beat Oran by 40 points?

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Tue, Dec 6, 2011, at 11:36 PM
  • I also say ND over Cape, and yes Risco won 84 to 44.

-- Posted by Lovebasketball on Tue, Dec 6, 2011, at 11:43 PM
  • 1. Charleston (The only pick I am sure about)

2. ND (easy all you ND haters)

3. Scott County (lost the best player since Ricky Frazier and still good)

4. Cape Central (thought they would be better)

5. Jackson (cannot believe ND beat them that bad)

6. Leopold (new coach and still best small school other than Scott County)

7. Advance (lost 3 starters and still solid)

8. Oran (down from last year, but lost entire starting linup and still solid)

9. Scott City (much improved)

10. Chaffee (no idea)

11. Delta (beat Oak Ridge tonight, seem to be improving)

12. Oak Ridge (seems to be struggling)

13. Kelly (seem to be better after a few tough years)

14. Woodland (new coach has them playing better)

15. Bell City (no idea)

16. Meadow Heights (struggling big time. Heard they lost one of their better players to injury).

Almost would be more fun if the big schools did not play each other until they get to the Xmas tourn, it would provide a lot of entertaining discussions, but 2-4 will be decided this week. 9-12 is a total toss up, 13-15 could go in any order. The only thing for sure is day one morning session will be ugly as usual. The games probably will not be any good till 7 vs. 10.

-- Posted by khan on Wed, Dec 7, 2011, at 12:12 AM
  • As of right now IMO since the Semo Conference Tourny has gotten under way and a couple games around the area haven't played out like on paper...

Charleston

Cape

S.C.C.

N.D.

Jackson

Leopold

Advance

Scott City

Oran

Chaffee

Oak Ridge

Delta

Bell City

Kelly

Woodland

Meadow Heights

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Wed, Dec 7, 2011, at 12:29 AM
  • 1. Charleston

2. Cape

3. Notre ame

These three picks will all be determined by how they finish in the SEMO tourney, the only way i see SCC getting ahead of one of them would be if one of them get blown out by the other in their conference tourney.

4. SCC- only team with a chance of moving into top three.

5. Jackson- i think leopold's better but they get five just for being jackson.

6. Leopold- I believe this team could beat SCC or Jackson on any given night

7. Advance- Good showing in the OIT

8. Chaffee- hard to tell since havent played anybody in the tourney, but won consolation last year

9/10. Scott City and Oran- who ever wins friday gets the 9, loser 10

11. Delta- beat oak ridge so get moved ahead

12. Oak Ridge- probably ahead of oran without loss to delta

13. Bell City- consolation of OIT

14. Kelly- lost to BC

15. Woodland- beat MH

16. MEadow Heights- lost to Woodland

-- Posted by bigriver333 on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 8:25 AM
  • KHAN, Ricky Frazier played for Charleston buddy..

-- Posted by Johnny "Drama" on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 1:28 AM
  • I believe the seed meeting is Sunday so advance and Scott city won't play before then

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 8:44 AM
  • IMO Sc will beat Advane but Advance will be seeded above them. Oak Ridge is IMO a better team all around than Oran and Chaffee but their one loss to Delta will put them below both in the seedings. Should make for a very interesting tournament this year. You would think Chaffee would schedule at least one team in the tournament before it started other than teams like Greenville and East Prarie. It's almost nearly impossible for them to get seeded in the top 8 doing this.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 9:01 AM
  • IMO Sc will beat Advane but Advance will be seeded above them. Oak Ridge is IMO a better team all around than Oran and Chaffee but their one loss to Delta will put them below both in the seedings. Should make for a very interesting tournament this year. You would think Chaffee would schedule at least one team in the tournament before it started other than teams like Greenville and East Prarie. It's almost nearly impossible for them to get seeded in the top 8 doing this.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 9:01 AM
  • I think Chaffee will get the 9 but honestly I think oak ridge, delta, bell city, and even Iran could beat them on a given night. they just haven't really put it together yet.. a ton of athleticism but a bunch of underclassmen handling the ball

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 9:57 AM
  • I think they are the 5th best team but I think they'll get the 8

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 10:54 AM
  • Even as a cape fan I think it will be Charleston, ND, cape for top three. I think we haveva better overall team than both but with us loingto both I don't see us getting seeded higher.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 12:28 PM
  • bell city beat Kelly so they wont be below them. oran may be better than some other teams but having 2 35+ point losses on your resume isnt good.. Oran 12 or 13 IMO. Chaffee by default will probably get the 9 bc teams like oak ridge and delta have losses but delta and oak ridge are probably better at this point. this may seem dumb to many but my view on Chaffee is they could beat anyone in this tournament besides charleston, cape, ND, SCC, Jackson.. but could also lose to any team excluding meadow heights.

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 12:31 PM

1 Charleston

2 Notre Dame

3 Scott county

4 Cape Central

The rest could go either way.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 1:43 PM
  • Leopold deserves to be ahead of Scott City.

-- Posted by Golden_One on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 2:48 PM
  • 1. Charleston

2-3. ND or SCC. Haven't seen SCCplay but know they're good. Not much difference in 2 and 3 seed.

4. Cape

Distant 5. Jackson

-- Posted by V,B on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 3:00 PM
  • And ND beating a Darius-less Central team is not an upset. We are better than them.Prediction is Charleston vs ND in finals. Charleston by 12

-- Posted by V,B on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 3:03 PM

I wouldn't sleep on Oak Ridge one bit. Even though Light is potentially out for the year, the Below kid could be a force just like Brett Thomas was last year.

-- Posted by vincebrown on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 11:30 PM
  • Yea Oak Ridge isnt a team to underestimate, neither is Chaffee, and the way Bell City played Leopold, better not expect anybody to blow them out either, but I say Ctown wins this tournament hands down.

-- Posted by Lovebasketball on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 11:44 PM

Here are the seedings

1. Charleston

2. Notre Dame

3. SCC

4. Cape Central

5. Jackson

6. Leopold

7. Advance

8. Scott City

9. Chaffee

10. Delta

11. Oak Ridge

12. Oran

13. Bell City

14. Woodland

15. Kelly

16. Meadow Heights

-- Posted by goBIGblue on Sun, Dec 11, 2011, at 4:40 PM
  • Did Delta and Chaffee really get put above Oran? Wow.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Dec 11, 2011, at 4:43 PM

Yes they did. These are offical.

-- Posted by goBIGblue on Sun, Dec 11, 2011, at 4:47 PM
  • Oran got it handed to them by 40 in games against Risco and Scott City.

-- Posted by Crash Davis on Sun, Dec 11, 2011, at 5:29 PM
  • Field seems pretty weak this year.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sun, Dec 11, 2011, at 6:26 PM
  • Oran is right where they should be.. not sure what argument they would have to be any higher.. I thought with moore and ressel theyd be better

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sun, Dec 11, 2011, at 7:29 PM
  • I'll break it down for you all at home. Chaffee is undefeated against Greenville, East Prarie, and Woodland only beating Woodland by 3 points.. How can you say they are a top 9 team in the tournament with that resume? Now, I'm not saying they are not, I'm saying they need to prove thereselves before that can be said. Delta is 4-1 with wins against Zalma, Woodland, Greenville, and an upset win against Oak Ridge. Oak Ridge and Delta are tied in the yearly series 1-1 right now. Ok, they upset them but I think it's safe to say we all know Oak Ridge has the better team. Other than that they have nothing to prove themselves as being the 10 seed in the tournament. Oran on the other hand is 2-3 right now with all losses to IMO above average teams: Advance, Scott City, and Risco. They're two wins have came too Richland and Malden. The bottom line is yes Delta and Chaffee might not get beat as bad as 40 points to Risco and Scott City but I guarantee you Delta will not play Advance to 10 points like Oran did and it's safe to say they probably would not beat Malden with Malden's quickness and athleticsm. Same goes for Chaffee except I think they might be able to play with Advance like Oran did and I'm fairly certain if Oran and Woodland played this early in the season Oran would beat them by more than 3 points and put more than 47 points against that ferocious Cardinals defense...

Anyways I'd rather get a 12 seed than an 8 or 9. Your pretty well out of the tournament picture if your the winner of the 8 and 9 game with upcoming games to Charleston and probably Jackson. Oran plays Delta this Friday and will probably meet up with Chaffee in the 3rd round of the tournament as I don't see them beating Scott City so I'm hoping after if it's all said and done my opinion on this can be validated. Oran has a way better team than what they're showing right now.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Dec 11, 2011, at 11:01 PM
  • Is Kelly really that bad? I know they aren't good but who have they played?

-- Posted by Golden_One on Sun, Dec 11, 2011, at 11:02 PM
  • Chaffee hasn't proved themselves but in the games where Iran could make a statement they haven't.. and neither has Chaffee therefore you go by record.. I do agree though that oak ridge is better than Chaffee but idk about delta

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 12:01 AM
  • Chaffee has made a statement so far along with the other 11 teams in the tournament if they would have played Chaffee's schedule so far... That's why I'm not buying them as a 9 seed right now just off they're record. Oran has done anything but make a statement.

Kelly is improved from last year but they're still below average. If they're not the 15 seed, they're no higher than the 14.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 12:31 AM
  • I think Scott city should have been the 7... both wins, but Scott City beat Oran by 39 and Advance beat them by like 15 and it was a game.. The Oran SC game was never a game.. well besides Oran getting two free throws before the tip off bc of a technical

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 8:31 AM
  • being a Chaffee fan and having my doubts verse Jackson.. I never want to lose to sc but if we would lose to sc I could see another consolation final, where as a win verse sc would follow with a L to charleston and then probably Jackson.

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 8:50 AM
  • SC is terrible..

-- Posted by reddog23 on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 9:38 AM
  • I think you can beat jackson until you actually get on the court with them and see the difference between good class 2 players and average class 5 players.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 11:40 AM
  • Jackson in my opinion will beat Scott City by 15+. Sorry blue, I thought Oran had a chance last year against them when we were loaded for a class 2 team and that theory went out of the door by the end of the 1st quarter. Now I know Jackson was a lot better last year but Scott City's post game will not compare to Jackson's still. The only way I can see SC staying in that game is by pressuring Jackson's weak guard play and causing turnovers and even at that it will take a lot more to beat Jackson.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 12:31 PM
  • No way Sc should in front of Leopold, bottom line,

-- Posted by semofan72 on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 3:33 PM
  • SC wont get any rebounds under the basket against jackson. You can't even talk about SCC or Charleston, last I checked Scott city doesn't have the players that can compete with either of those teams. I came from a small town before moving to cape and I had that same mentality about small schools being able to compete with big schools but once attending cape central I realized the huge difference there is in talent and athleticism that smaller schools inly can compete with that except those few rare years when the small schools gets some amazing talent. Scott City just doesn't have those types of players to make it happen. The guard play wont even come into play, they can just lob it up and let the big men get higher than your defenders.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 3:45 PM
  • it will probably be leopold and advance for 3rd and 4th place. That has advance upsetting jackson and loosing to charleston. Leopold will have an easier time going through there bracket, but will lose to ND. Good luck to all the teams and i look forward to watching a good tournament.

-- Posted by stinger73 on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 3:58 PM
  • I thought you were a recruiter bluegold? Maybe for South Harmon

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 4:00 PM
  • Leopold beat them,,, on neutral court, as far as seedings go,,, that means Leopold is seeded ahead of them,

-- Posted by semofan72 on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 4:02 PM
  • SC is 4 times bigger than leopold. Did you even think about how dumb that comment sounds before posting.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 4:51 PM
  • I didn't know just because the school is bigger, you should get a better slot in the tourney,, Leopold won I was there, deal with it.. That's why they Are seeded higher, if Scott City is so big, maybe they should strengthen their schedule..

-- Posted by semofan72 on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 7:09 PM
  • I think Oak ridge has a fair chance at an upset of Leopold in the first round. I really think Oak Ridge is better than an 11 seed. But that was the seed they deserved, with the way they played their first few games. They could be a real darkhorse in this tournament. Not to win it but to surpise some people.

-- Posted by oak ridge fan on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 9:19 PM
  • I'm not going into that SC vs Leopold size statement anymore because I'll say something that Rachel will deem inappropriate and delete.

Stay with me here. Jackson, like other big schools, have athleticism across their whole team that small schools can't match except for those extraordinary teams like SCC. I'm sorry to break it to you but you don't have that kind of athleticism that SCC has. The combination of you being very undersized and not as athletic is why I'm saying you don't have a chance for an upset. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see you guys beat Jackson just to make this already miserable year worse for them.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 6:49 AM
  • Hey Blue whats your prediction on Advance and Scott City?

-- Posted by semofan72 on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 8:43 AM
  • Hey Blue what do you tink about SC and Advance on friday night?

-- Posted by stinger73 on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 8:55 AM
  • I would say Advance by 20 only due to pulling the starters out in the 4th.

-- Posted by stinger73 on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 9:00 AM
  • Wow! This is the bluegold show! Scott City could win if they make everything they throw up but otherwise I think Jackson wins this game!

-- Posted by localfan on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 9:18 AM
  • true local he has his head in the clouds. I do respect his loyalty to his team though.

-- Posted by stinger73 on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 9:21 AM
  • He is a trooper!! Heck to throw this into the mix if Jackson makes everything against Cape then SC has to play Cape!! Oh my! Then we would have to start a whole new thread!!!

-- Posted by localfan on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 9:23 AM

Sometimes loyalty clouds reality..just sayin

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 9:24 AM
  • Amen!! That is a good way to start my Tuesday! Cheese hit the nail on the head....

-- Posted by localfan on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 9:31 AM
  • I would say there is two wildcards in the tournament and SC is not one of them. I would think that they would play all five days though!I look forward to watching some good basketball in the tournament this year!

-- Posted by stinger73 on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 9:54 AM
  • Small schools can't compete with big schools in this tourney guys, everyone knows that......that's why 4 out of the last 5 years 1A schools have won it

-- Posted by DaleDoback on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 9:55 AM
  • Perkins that is a good observation SCC is a 1A school and is always good and plays well. I think the bigest disapointment is always the cape and jackson teams. they come from a big school with hundreds of kids to choose from and still cant beat a 1A school.

-- Posted by stinger73 on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 10:01 AM

Scc is not your typical Class 1 team..I wouldn't put them in the same category as the other Class 1 teams in this tourney.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 10:07 AM
  • Cheese is right about SCC, they are the exception and not the rule in Class 1. Cape and Jackson have so many kids walking around in the halls that could help both teams but there are so many excuses by these kids that it is pitiful!!

-- Posted by localfan on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 10:14 AM
  • SCC is not the only 1A to win it in the last 5 years

-- Posted by DaleDoback on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 10:20 AM

Not disputing that, I was just saying that the other Class 1 teams are not on Scc level. There wil be years where Scc is down a bit and a few class 1 teams could compete with them but the majority of the time, Scc is on another level. Especially the last few years.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 10:37 AM
  • The other school was Bell City who had a couple players who could have started on any team in the tournament. One of them is playing at SEMO right now. So, I believe that was the exception and not the rule.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 10:40 AM
  • So any time a small school is good they are the exception haha sure are a lot of exceptions lol you guys are experts, y'all should be on ESPN

-- Posted by DaleDoback on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 10:49 AM

I never said they were the exception, I was just saying they are better than all area class 1 teams on a consistant basis..

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 11:00 AM
  • Perkinsballer is the MAN! haha

-- Posted by GSP on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 11:18 AM
  • I guess people forget when Kelly and SC and Advance were always in the title too

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 11:25 AM

Does anyone have the past champions list of the Xmas tourney since it started? I'm curious to see who all won. I have only been keeping up with it for the last 5 or 6 years.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 11:31 AM
  • I don't give point predictions, never have. I state which team I think will win and typically something like close game, pull away late, big win.

Bell city is an exception, they could have 2 players at semo right now if one wouldn't have wasted his ability. SCC is not tour normal school regardless of class. When you are winning the championship game by 20+ you know there is just something special with the school. I'm not saying that SC doesn't have the number of athletes as jackson, I'm saying that SC's top athletes on their basketball team are just average athletes at a school like jackson. There is a reason that these small schools don't play big schools on a regular basis during the season.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 11:41 AM
  • Semosports is correct. Bell City was most certainly the exception in this case.

Scott Central has been on a whole different level the past 3 or 4 years. But what about from 1995-2006? How many times did they win the tournament during that stretch? I would not be surprised if the answer is 0. So, over the history of the tournament the arguement could be made that Scott Central is the exception as well. An arguement could also be made that they are the rule as well.

Advance won it in 2000 maybe? Scott City may have made the title game a few years back. Kelly(although Kelly is class 3) may have been there when the Deason boys were in school. Other then that, it's probably been dominated by the bigger schools(Class 3 or larger).

-- Posted by GSP on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 11:56 AM
  • Charleston has won it 15 times.

-- Posted by bluejaypride on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 11:59 AM
  • Hey semosports, I got some news for ya bud, saying who you think will win is making a prediction....WOW...SC, Leopold, and advance would all hang with Jackson, Jackson is pathetic, they beat a NMCC team in overtime that can barely chew gum and run at the same time

-- Posted by DaleDoback on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 12:02 PM
  • I'm curious. What exactly do you mean when you say that Jackson is "pathetic"?

-- Posted by GSP on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 12:58 PM
  • oak ridge had Jackson beat a few years ago an they are a tiny 1a school.. most of the time a class 4 or 5 team will roll smaller team but open your eyes and realize Jackson doesn't have a very good team at all. if their tall guy wasn't 6'9" or whatever and was only 6'2" he wouldnt start for any of the top 12 seeds.. he has very limited skill

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 12:59 PM

Delta is going to surprise some people this year I think. Delta has found a good coach who knows basketball and has the kids buying in. I'm excited to see them play at the Show-Me-Center. Could be a tough game against Advance, but if it doesn't go their way, look out for them in Consolation.

-- Posted by Bobcat_#53 on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 1:06 PM
  • Do you really not know what the definition of pathetic is? I havent seen Jackson play, but I have seen NMCC play, and honestly I was embarrassed for NMCC. Jackson went to overtime with them. Once again this year Jackson is PATHETIC. Jackson comes into the Xmas tourney every year as one of the biggest schools and they're usually playing in one of the last two games, congrats Jackson...but what do they do when they play schools relative to their size.....absolutely nothing...or I'm sorry, they win the consolation bracket

-- Posted by DaleDoback on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 1:13 PM

Past Tournament Champions

1945 -- Flat River 1946- Flat River

1947 -- Leadwood 1948 -- University High

1949 -- Sikeston 1950 -- Puxico

1951 -- Puxico 1952 -- Morehouse

1953 -- Morehouse 1954 -- Morehouse

1955 -- Fisk-Rombauer 1956 -- Advance

1957 -- Puxico 1958 -- Advance

1959 -- Fredericktown 1960 -- Woodland

1961 -- Cape Central 1962 -- Cape Central

1963 -- Illmo-Scott City 1964 -- Oran

1965 -- Oran 1966 -- Oran

1967 -- Scott Central 1968 -- Delta

1969 -- Portageville 1970 -- Notre Dame

1971 -- Cape Central 1972 -- Cape Central

1973 -- Kelly 1974 -- Notre Dame

1975 -- Charleston 1976 -- Charleston

1977 -- Cape Central 1978 -- Cape Central

1979 -- Scott Central 1980 -- Cape Central

1981 -- Cape Central 1982 -- Charleston

1983 -- Charleston 1984 -- Charleston

1985 -- Charleston 1986 -- Notre Dame

1987 -- Scott Central 1988 -- Jackson

1989 -- Charleston 1990 -- Scott Central

1991 -- Charleston 1992 -- Charleston

1993 -- Charleston 1994 -- Cape Central

1995 -- Charleston 1996 -- Cape Central

1997 -- Charleston 1998 -- Charleston

1999 -- Scott City 2000 -- Advance

2001 -- Charleston 2002 -- Charleston

2003 -- Jackson 2004 -- Jackson

2005 -- Notre Dame 2006 -- Bell City

2007 -- Jackson 2008 -- Scott Central

2009 -- Scott Central 2010 -- Scott Central

-- Posted by I.P. Freely on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 1:15 PM
  • I think I fully understand the definition of "pathetic" after reading all of your posts.

Bobcat-You're correct. Jimmy Johnson is a good coach who brings a wealth of experience with him. Good hire for Delta. Welcome back to Semo Jimmy.

-- Posted by GSP on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 1:16 PM

Perkinsballer your an idiot! Saying those hurtful things about NMCC for no reason. Grow up.... Off you go....

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 1:23 PM

NMCC players*

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 1:24 PM
  • That's a last resort reponse because you have no argument...it was cute though

-- Posted by DaleDoback on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 1:25 PM
  • I don't think that class 3 schools should be considered "small" as far as this tournament is concerned. If you take away the class 3 schools, it's definitely the exception.

-- Posted by GSP on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 1:27 PM
  • Buckmajor I said nothing about individual players, there team is not any good, I know you're die hard NMCC, but this isn't 2001, it's 2011...you need to open your eyes when your at the next game

-- Posted by DaleDoback on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 1:28 PM
  • The class 3 schools except charleston were all class 2 teams when they won it....

-- Posted by DaleDoback on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 1:31 PM
  • You forgot big gigantic packed loaded full of students Woodland won it Bluegold

-- Posted by DaleDoback on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 1:36 PM

I understand there not that good of a team. My eyes are open to that but I didn't say and I quote "they beat a NMCC team in overtime that can barely chew gum and run at the same time" i believe that refers to the NMCC players. Open your eyes.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 1:39 PM
  • 6 out of last 12 years a 1A or 2A school has won it all, we have exception years half the time in this tourney hahaha

-- Posted by DaleDoback on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 1:40 PM
  • Buckmajor I apologize it was kinda the heat of the moment comment i don't want to talk badly about players individually. These folks are just trying to say that Jackson is so great and I haven't seen them, I have watched NMCC and I know how good they are, they went to overtime with Jackson so I know Jackson can't be as good as they think.

-- Posted by DaleDoback on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 1:45 PM

Let's look at it this way. In the last forty years, you have Kelly with one, Scott City with one, Advance with one, and Bell City with one. Otherwise, the teams with the top five seeds have won the other 36 years. Posture about small schools all you want but there is a reason those teams are your top five every year and that is the reason why SCC is considered an exception.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 1:46 PM

Okay man it's cool.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 1:49 PM
  • I have not seen Jackson play this year but would not be at all suprised to see a running clock victory over SC. A couple of years ago the same argument was made by a couple of Leopold fans thinking they could beat Jackson, and i think it was at least 20. The overall size of the team just wears down the smaller teams. Unless Jackson is way down they should cruise to the 5th place title. The consolation though is wide open with a bunch of teams possible. Will be fun to see who gets hot and wins it.

-- Posted by khan on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 1:56 PM
  • You look at enrollment and SC, Advance, Bell City, and Kelly shouldn't even have won the one they did win, if I was ND, charleston, Jackson, and Cape and we don't finish in the top 4 every year, I'd be embarrassed.

-- Posted by DaleDoback on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:00 PM

Talent runs in cycles generally, doesn't matter how big a school is. However, bigger schools have more up years than down while smaller schools not named SCC have more down years than up. I'd say that 31% of the schools owning 90% of the last forty titles tells what it should tell.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:05 PM

Here's a question I just thought of.

Anyone know why Saxony plays in Bloomfield's tourney and drives that far? It seems to me that maybe they could swap out with Advance. I just think it would make more sense distance-wise. Anyone got any reasons behind that?

-- Posted by Bobcat_#53 on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:08 PM
  • Time to change your pocket protector perkins "wannabe baller, shot caller, 20 inch blades on the impala"!

-- Posted by GSP on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:09 PM
  • SCC has the talent every year, they are the exception, they are on another level, blah blah blah...excuses a big school makes when a school with 75 whips a school with a thousand . I don't care make up whatever excuse you want, when a 5A loses to a 1A it should be embarrassing no matter what the circumstances. Saying they are the exception

Is just making an excuse for when it's your turn to get whipped

-- Posted by DaleDoback on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:13 PM
  • GSP these little drop-ins after I've smashed your argument and I'm speaking directly with someone else are getting old. Someone else says something directly to me and because you have nothing to say you back him like you've been boys for life...it was cute at first but now it's just gettin old

-- Posted by DaleDoback on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:19 PM
  • I don't know if they are making excuses, or rather they are admitting that SCC has more talent at their disposal at times. And I don't think anybody is embarrassed to lose to SCC. When you are trotting out Division I athletes, losing to teams and players of that caliber is not embarrassing. Now if you were to lose to one of the lower seeded teams in the first round, now that would be embarrassing.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:23 PM
  • Smashed? LOL You're hilarious dude. And I must say that your comments never get old because continual laughter is great.

I think your frustration has more to do with you believing that you're smarter then everyone else. Doesn't seem to be working out real well.

As for getting "smashed", if I decide the topic warrants enough of my attention for a legitimate discussion, I will let you know how it feels to get smashed. You're about as easy to understand when you make a point as Chewbacca is when he growls.

-- Posted by GSP on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:28 PM

SCC has a program built that no other school, big or small, follows. They do have talent every year and are built to compete with anyone. No other Class 1 or 2 school in the state has it. Heck, barely any Class 3 schools in the state have it. Every now and again, small schools are blessed with some very good athletes and sometimes one or two big time playmakers can be enough (note Bell City in 2006). Basketball is unlike other sports in that there is only five athletes on the floor at a time meaning one really good player can make a bigger impact on the game than it can in sports like football, baseball, etc. The bigger schools have more people that come out for the team meaning that in terms of people, they have a greater chance of having that really good athlete in the bunch. However, that really good athlete can also be in the group at a small school. I don't know what kind of argument you are trying to make other than "Look at the small schools! They pull off an upset every now and again!" No one is disputing that. However, having seen Jackson, I don't see them losing to an Advance or Scott City. They may lose to Leopold because they are in a talent rich time right now. However, if Leopold is the best the team has ever been and Jackson is at one of its lower points, and the potential of a Leopold beating them is just a possibility that I wouldn't put greater than 50/50, that should all the information needed.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:29 PM
  • I'm not sure where you read that these people are saying that Jackson is so great Perkinsballer!! That is just the example that bluegold has been using in this thread. It seems to have turned into a Jackson is so bad and the small schools are better than people think thread. Small schools will always have a place in this tournament because they will have a good group of athletes that can compete at the levels that the big schools do. Kelly for example has had very good teams in the past but they are not very strong this year or year in and year out. That is just an example because there are other schools that way. Bell City was that way with its two players in 2006. Neimczyk was the player and Bogan was just BIG! He isn't playing in college because college does require that you go to class.

The Cardinals weren't the best team in baseball for the year but in the end they sure did it!!

They were the Class 1 if you ask me!

It is no secret this year that Jackson really has no consistent guard play which makes them beatable. I have seen them play as well as ND, Sikeston, Cape, Bluff, SCC, NMCC, Charleston, Oran, etc. ND is another example to me of a team that still plays at an intense level and there are so many boys that don't even play that attend there, but if they attended the schools in the towns where they reside there would be more small schools with much tougher teams year in and out and ND might have a weaker pool of kids to choose from! They have a church league team that these ND boys who don't play school ball play on that I am sure would beat any of the seeds from #5 to #16.

Cape Central was another school a few years back that no one wanted to play and then Coach Church has done a better job of sparking the interest of their kids. I think coach Scott tries that at Jackson but it's not working.

IMO any team has a shot in any given year if their talent pool is strong. Leopold has a good group this year. SC has a good group. Oak Ridge with its youth will have a better year next year. As for the bigger schools they go through the same things that the little schools go through but it seems worse because of the sheer number of students that they have to pick from. But like all of the other schools there are a limited number of kids that choose to play athletics whether it be because they choose not to or don't care for the coaching staff...it still happens.

Good Luck to all and may the team that gets on a roll, "knock them all out"!!

-- Posted by localfan on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:31 PM
  • If they aren't embarrassed then why are they acting like big schools are the only ones in the tourney with a shot and saying SCC is an exception when that's not true the facts are in front of them. SC has won it twice Kelly has won it woodland won it delta won it Oran won it multiple times bell city won it advance has won it multiple times puxico has won it multiple times, if u want to talk about exceptions then take away Scc and take away charleston and add it up...and u speak of Scc like they've had D-1 players on every team, they have had 3 at their school since their existence

-- Posted by DaleDoback on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:31 PM

You're delusional man. Tell me which of the 5-16 seeds is going to win this year over Charleston or Notre Dame. I don't see a single one even competing or making the semi-finals. And that has been the way this tourney has gone for awhile now. The top 5-6 seeds compete and then there is everyone else.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:38 PM
  • Well, they've won the Christmas tournament 7 times and 5 of those times included Division I players Marcus Timmons and Otto Porter Jr. Bobby Hatchett was on two of them, who is also at least Division I caliber. Mark Mosley was on two of them, also Division I. The teams that didn't have D-I players were the 67-68 and 79-80 teams, and we all know how loaded the 80 team was. Maybe not D-I, but filled with tremendous talent. Can't tell you much about 67-68, but possibly a Paul Hale team if memory serves.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:38 PM
  • So Mark Mosley, Marcus Timmons, and Otto Jr, 3....exactly what I said.

-- Posted by DaleDoback on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:43 PM
  • In all of the years past that you speak of the kids from those schools now choose to attend ND rather then stay at Kelly, Oran, etc. Strengthens ND but wekens the others. I remember when Cairo high school would come over to play teams in Missouri and they also had a small school of less than 200 kids. Year in and year out they would beat teams and like with SCC you weren't embarassed to lose to them because that was their strength! They built teams to play basketball regardless of size strength and so on.

-- Posted by localfan on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:44 PM
  • I have a question, what is the lowest seed to ever win the tournamnet?

-- Posted by deervalley on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:46 PM
  • You completely missed the point. Yes, three Division I players. But 5 of their 7 tournament titles came with those players on the team. So two times SCC won the Christmas tournament when they weren't trotting out Division I players. You made it sound like SCC is winning the tournament every year even when they don't have top level talent. My post illustrated otherwise. Now I'm not trying to downplay anything they've accomplished because they have been a true powerhouse in every sense of the word and have more than held their own against the larger schools, but to win this tournament it normally took special talent on the team to pull it off.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:47 PM
  • Sideline, reread my post. I said that the kids from ND not playing on the team, but playing on a rec team could beat the seeds 5 through 16. They have 10 boys playing that played for Coach Roberts but choose not to now.

-- Posted by localfan on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:48 PM

That wasn't aimed at you localfan. I like the insight you are providing and agree with the posts you are making. That was aimed at Perkinsballer.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:49 PM
  • Good point localfan. Schools like SCC, or Cairo back in the day, lived and breathed basketball. SCC has no other sports to contend with it. They play it year round. It is a distinct advantage to have, even over large schools from time to time.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:49 PM
  • If memory serves me correctly I think there was some tremendous talent from SCC that played at SEMO over the past 30 years.

-- Posted by localfan on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:51 PM
  • Cool sideline I have respect for your posts and look forward to your opinions

-- Posted by localfan on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:52 PM
  • All I'm saying is if I went to one of the big schools or had a kid there or whatever ties I had to the school, I would not just simply accept that they are really good. I would be embarrassed because of the size of the schools, I wouldn't just sit there and take it and say well they're always pretty good, maybe next year. I would be mad as heck that my school of 800 or a thousand or 1200 or whatever just lost to a school with 100. And I agree local fan, Scott City, Kelly,ect have suffered with the loss of some kids to ND just in the last ten years ND has grown dramatically, and this hurts the more spread out competitiveness of the Xmas tourney

-- Posted by DaleDoback on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:53 PM
  • Your memory does serve you correctly localfan.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:53 PM

I appreciate it. I should be able to make it to the tournament at least a day or two. However, I've gotta be in O'Fallon on the final day to watch Sikeston play.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:54 PM
  • I watched a team in Southern Illinois from Mounds (Meridian) that is a small class school over there and again they only have basketball to play. I feel that they would give the large schools multiple problems over here but again they have a great talent pool this year!

-- Posted by localfan on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:54 PM
  • the fact that someone said that notre dames church league team would beat teams like Leopold and Scott city is probably the funniest thing I've read all day.. I'm sorry folks.. but Scott city talent wise is the 5th best team in this tournament.. but, they are so inconsistent that they could lose to someone like Chaffee.. and I absolutely am not an SC fan, they were our biggest rival n I don't like them, but I respect them and if you can seriously think Jackson is going to win by 20+ you have issues.. could they? yes, but Scott city could also win this game by 10. Leopold, oak ridge both a couple times have hung in there with Jackson and been within 5-10 in the forth quarter multie times the past few seasons and this years Jackson team is nowhere close to being as good as they were a few years ago and even the. they weren't spectacular. this isn't football. football-class size usually dominates.. basketball is different.. it's skill where football is physicality

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:58 PM
  • Say you are Cape Central's coach or a parent of one of Cape's players. Would it be more embarrassing to lose to SCC's 2011 team or to, say, Class 4 Ste. Genevieve?

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:59 PM
  • I remember another little school that hasn't had much over the years but when Terry Meade was at Delta C7 they sure had a pretty tough team!!

-- Posted by localfan on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 2:59 PM
  • I'm not sure about you guys and all of this other bull but i'm sure that I will go watch Jackson play Vianney at Jackson on the 22nd so I can see the talent rich pool for Vianney this year!! Heck while they are coming down maybe we can get them a game with Scott City to settle this mess!

Who loses to Vianney by more?

-- Posted by localfan on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 3:07 PM
  • So, i have read and re-read through this thread trying to figure out what all this bickering is about and i wish i could have the last 30 minutes of my life back. Neither side is going to give on their way of thinking, so let's try and get back on the topic at hand.

I will state my opinion that there are only 3 teams right now i think can win this tourney this year and that is one of the top 3 seeds and everyone else is playing for 3rd, 5th, and consolation.

But, what do i know, I'm just a doctor.

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 3:10 PM
  • There is going to be a good game tonight SCC and Advance. Then on friday Advance is hosting SC.

-- Posted by stinger73 on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 3:33 PM
  • I don't see where anyone is disputing that its not somewhat embarassing when a Cape Central or Jackson loses to a small school. But it's not embarassing for any of those schools to lose to a Scott Central during the past 3 years or during the 70's and 80's. It also was not really an embarassment to lose to Bell City during their recent hey day. That's where the "exception" lies. Sure enough if Jackson lost to Oak Ridge or Leopold, the Jackson contingent might be embarassed. But you're just out of touch with reality if you think that about some of the Scott Central teams or even the Bell City teams for that matter.

Sideline starter makes a great point. Regardless of class size, you can only put 5 guys out on the floor at once. In basketball, size of school matters much less then in baseball or football.

At the end of the day, enrollment has nothing to do with who wins or loses. It has more to do with things like tradition, coaching, culture of the kids and parents, work put in, buying in, etc.

-- Posted by GSP on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 3:45 PM
  • BAM,,, GSP said it all,, And just let the boys play,,

-- Posted by semofan72 on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 3:48 PM
  • Excellent points GSP. Sure, enrollment can be an advantage in some cases, in other cases, not so much. Look at Fox when they had 2,000 students at one time yet never very good at basketball. While there are many boys in the school, there were never many top athletes or basketball players. It's just the way it is and that's what they were dealt. Whereas at a school like SCC where the enrollment is small, or a Charleston where it's a medium sized school, there aren't as many boys in the school but there is a deep, deeeeeeep talent pool of kids that play basketball. Of course the upper echelon larger schools are usually going to be better. But it isn't that way for ALL large schools.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 3:51 PM

Also bigger schools usually offer more activities. A good basketball player at a large school may be more passionate about some other club or activity, and chose to do that. At a small school there's not much to chose from, so youll prolly chose the only thing going on at that time, which in the winter is basketball.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 3:57 PM
  • I'll address several things here since there was a lot of idiocy since I last checked.

First, Perkinsballer, you sir are an idiot. You tried to call me out saying that when i say who i think will win that I am making a prediction. Yes, you are correct that would be a prediction. The problem is that I NEVER said I don't make predictions; I said that I don't make point predictions, meaning that I don't predict margin of victory or the score of either team. I will say who I think will win and give reasons as to why, but it's too hard to predict how many points a team will score in basketball so I just decide not to try.

Bluegold, I'll give you Cotner, he is a great athlete but I promise you that there is at least one player on Jackson's roster that is just as good of an athlete as he is. I'll say it's a tie for those two players. How about the other 9 players that might get playing time on each team? The remainder of Jackson's roster will be superior athletes compared to that of Scott City. I'll use weightlifting as an example, I can promise you that the records at big schools are much higher than that at small schools if the record holders have to obide by the same ligting techniques. I have friends that attend ND among other schools and they say that they lift a certain amount that sounds rediculous compared to some record at Central. So I say well lets go to the gym sometime and find out. Almost in every instance the person from the other school doesn't go as deep as we're supposed to go or uses a wrong form that allows them to move more weight. I can use track as another example. When we have local meets the kids from the larger schools almost always dominate those of smaller schools and the teams finish with more total points. The small school might win a couple events because they have some insane sprinter on their team but the rest of the team is lacking compared to that of the larger schools.

There are 13 Christmas tournament champions that are no longer in the tournament so I am excluding them, that leaves us with 51 championship games. Advance has won 3 times, Woodland has won 1 time, Cape Central has won 10 times, including Illmo Scott City has won 2 times, Oran has won 3 times, SCC has won 7 times, Delta has won 1 time, ND has won 3 times, Kelly has won 1 time, Charleston has won 15 times, Jackson has won 4 times, Bell City has won 1 time. So yes, with the exception of SCC I would say that larger schools dominate this tournament; Charleston is included in larger schools. Then you have to think about the number of big schools that are in this tournament; 4: Charleston, Cape, Jackson, ND. Compared to that of small schools; 8: Advance, Woodland, Scott City, Oran, SCC, Delta, Kelly, Bell City. I'll just go ahead and say that in SCC's several they have had at least 2 Porter relatives on the team, and in Bell City's 1 they had two D1 players. The big schools don't have to have those big time players to win this tournament, they just have to have a team of solid players.

NMCC took Jackson into overtime and probably could have won that game in regulation, but just because NMCC isn't very good doesn't mean that Scott City has the same shot to beat Jackson. I can promise you that as a team, NMCC has better athletes than SC. You might say that this isn't an athlete contest, but really in basketball it is. Take Sikeston's team from last year for example, their tallest player was around 6'3" with the rest around 6'0" and below. They beat well everyone, but they beat quite a few big teams that had some very good players. They didn't always win because they had the better basketball team, admit it, they had no big D1 talent like some teams they played, they beat all these teams because they had a whole team full of tremendous athletes.

Like what buck just mentioned, larger schools have more activities for students to take part in. It's much more rare to see a three sport athlete at a big schoolcompared to the number at a small school. The reason is because in order to be very competitive at state at a big school you have to focus almost the whole year on just one sport because that's what the rest of the state is doing. If you look at the biggest schools in the state, the football players typically only play football, the basketball players only play basketball, and so on. Of course there are exceptions to that as well but not nearly as many at big schools.

Lastly, thank you to the Sikeston posters who brought some sense to this thread while I was busy, even though we bicker, you guys typically have valid points. Sorry for the essay.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 4:30 PM
  • BuckMajor makes another good point. I agree with that. It can also happen in the private schools. Take valle catholic. Great volleyball and football, below average basketball.

-- Posted by GSP on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 4:33 PM
  • I'm not a Sikeston poster. I just try to blend in with those who I believe make sense.

-- Posted by GSP on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 4:34 PM
  • Actually IP the years are wrong, the outcomes are correct but the years are wrong...meaning the tournament takes place before the year ends, so technically its a year prior to what you have... This year tournament would be the 2011 edition. correct?

-- Posted by BLACK MAMBA24 on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 6:24 PM
  • bluegold, I'm sorry but this year nobody outside the top 4 have a legit chance of winning it.

Black mamba24, yes you're probably correct, I did all that pretty quick so it's possible I made a mistake.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 6:46 PM
  • 3A, 4A, 5A have won it 30 times, and 1A, 2A have won it 22 times out of the teams that are still in it, I counted what class the school was in when they won it...30-22 is not very far apart, and semosports2 I'm sorry i misread you said point predictions...but sorry to burst your bubble, basketball is not a game of whoever is more athletic will win..."you might say that this isn't an athlete contest, but really in basketball it is"...if this was the case then NMCC would hardly ever lose a game, but they are average at best

-- Posted by DaleDoback on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 11:19 PM
  • I would suggest that Delta swap with Saxony if they are concerned about their road trips.

-- Posted by hornetsfan on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 11:25 PM

Why does it matter? Who won it in the past has nothing to do with who is going to win this year or next. This year favors the higher class teams, point blank.. Sure there can be some upsets that happen that's why they play the game.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 11:29 PM
  • Who said it has anything to do with who will won it this year, I was just showing semosports2 who said the large schools have dominated that they have not dominated. At least I wouldn't say 30-22 in 52 years is domination.

-- Posted by DaleDoback on Tue, Dec 13, 2011, at 11:34 PM
  • Guys I remember this was the top Christmas tournament in the area for awhile. Those smaller schools were competitive in 70's,80's... But are we forgetting ND was a Class2 team in 80's? They had sum great teams with Danny D. & Co. Guys can we really put Charleston in the large class with about Cape & Jackson with an enrollment of over 2,000 or more student, I'm not sure about Sikeston enrollment but I'm sure it's over 1200... I'd like to know Kelly or Scott City numbers in terms of enrollments...

-- Posted by BLACK MAMBA24 on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 12:13 AM
  • charleston enrollment is 276 I believe... That's not really big but I understand some schools are very small some under 100... I alwAys thought that it was away to have 2different tournaments small school & big schools... Mayb add teams from each region of the state to take on our small & large schools. Would be some exciting ball...

-- Posted by BLACK MAMBA24 on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 12:20 AM
  • Capes enrollment is just over 1000, jackson is bigger, sikeston is smaller I think.

I'm pretty sure everyone on here plays the games in their head so I guess you're just upset and trying to find something to say.

Perkinsballer, you either didn't read my post or didn't understand it. No there isn't a huge margin between small and big school championships but there are far more small school than big schools and all the h if schools have multiple wins while a few small schools only have one meaning it could've been one of those exception years that they just had a fantastic team.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 7:07 AM
  • Perkinsballer, will you explain how the "average" Eagles of NMCC were able to pull off the win against Notre Dame last night? I can't wait to hear this wisdom.

-- Posted by GSP on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 7:59 AM

Enrollment figures:

Jackson - 1553

Poplar Bluff - 1323

Cape - 1246

Sikeston - 1052

Perryville - 730

Notre Dame - 686

Dexter - 584

NMCC - 486

Scott City - 357

Caruthersville - 340

Charleston - 318

Kelly - 301

Hayti - 199

Chaffee - 177

Oran - 133

Oak Ridge - 116

SCC - 106

-- Posted by yah-yah on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 8:21 AM
  • Looks like that avg. NMCC team pulled one off against ND last night! I guess that means all schools have a chance in this tourney, and I guess ND is worse than Jackson since they lost to NMCC if I understand some of the thinking on this thread? But wait!! ND beat Jackson! Oh my day is ruined this is just too much to take.....Scott City wins it all and the small schools live happily ever after!

-- Posted by localfan on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 8:43 AM
  • After last night I think anything is possible. ND plays very tough defense and I would have never dreamed that NMCC would have beat them. I did see the Dexter/Jackson game last night and Dexter really came out pumped up. Jackson prevailed but Dexter had one of those nights we have been talking about, they had everything going right. They could surprise a few folks also.

-- Posted by localfan on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 8:50 AM

@ hornetsfan. I was just curious. Not trying to degrade Advance at all, they always have a strong team. I was only wondering if there was any kind of reason behind it.

-- Posted by Bobcat_#53 on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 9:04 AM

@ hornetsfan. I was just curious. Not trying to degrade Advance at all, they always have a strong team. I was only wondering if there was any kind of reason behind it.

-- Posted by Bobcat_#53 on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 9:04 AM
  • Haven't had the chance to see SC yet but know a little about them and feel that they will do well this year. Good mix of kids that gel because they know each other.

-- Posted by localfan on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 9:27 AM
  • Yes localfan. I don't understand how that happened! haha Seriously, good win for NMCC.

-- Posted by GSP on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 9:46 AM

I got to see Advance play and I still stand by they can beat Jackson. I'm not going to say that they beat them 9 out of 10 times, but they may win 3 out of 10. Jackson has 0 guard play, and Advance has Barr in the middle, I know he is only 6' 4" (?) but thats some size. He does have a hard time keeping up, but he has good hands and moves relatively well.

When the smaller schools have teams that are very good they get up to play big schools like none other because they want to prove everybody wrong. This is their stage to do it becuase of boards liek this one saying they have little chance. I find it interesting how bigger schools may take them for granted, not trying to say thats why they win but I definately think it has a place in this discussion too.

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 9:50 AM
  • The problem with.most big men from smaller schools is that they're not used to playing against other big men and when they do they typically don't succeed.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 11:23 AM
  • Bluegold, this is how I know you don't read my entire comments. I have said that I am from a small school but now am at cape central. I don't dislike small schools but do find that watching a game between two small schools is much more boring due to not as much skill and a generally slower played game. I'm not saying that I never think small schools will beat big schools except if SCC is involved. Im saying that SC doesn't have a chance against jackson this year.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 4:06 PM
  • GSP...were u surprised to see the NMCC win?

-- Posted by DaleDoback on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 5:12 PM

I wish I could comment on that bluegold, but I haven't seen SC play. When do they play advance?

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 5:18 PM
  • @Bobcat_#53. I would like to apologize for the tone of my response last evening. Past my bedtime and feeling testy, I guess. Not sure why but Advance isn't real welcome at Bloomfield tourney. I interpreted your post as more of the same "small schools don't belong at Cape" nonsense that is so prevalent on here. I wish you the best of luck in the tournament. Thanks also to Harry_ Callahan for encouraging comments about Advance.

-- Posted by hornetsfan on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 5:19 PM
  • No I was not surprised, to be honest. If I had to place a bet before the game, I would have picked Notre Dame. But that doesn't mean that I would be totally shocked if they lost either. Notre Dame plays hard, but they are not loaded with talent or size and they generally only play 6 kids. Knowing that, teams on their schedule know that if they bring it, they have a chance to compete with them. I'm sure ND could have played better, but hey, that's how it goes sometimes. New Madrid, when their kids are motivated to play as hard as they can play, can do this kind of thing. This game proves that. Two years ago New Madrid defeated ND on their home floor. So it's not the first time.

-- Posted by GSP on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 5:24 PM
  • SS2-"I don't dislike small schools but do find that watching a game between two small schools is much more boring due to not as much skill and a generally slower played game."

Like when Cape Central beat Poplar Bluff 36-29 last year?

-- Posted by stlfanin501 on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 5:48 PM
  • Haha yes a lot like that, I knew somebody would bring that up. The first low scoring game was like watching high school golf, the second was actually a very good game and played at a good tempo but neither team could make a shot.

bluegold, you take almost everything I say out pf context. I never said they can't win in any sport, but for the record now that you say that I will say that jackson would beat SC in every sport this year. Most posters have agreed with me about the SC vs jackson thing but have stopped posting probably because they got tired of it. I, however find it to be too much fun to continue to give example as to why the side I have taken on this is correct. For the sake of the argument, have you given any reasons as to why you think SC can win?

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 9:28 PM
  • i am a scc brave fan and i promise thisadvance will upset some teams this year, they are a bunch of scrappy kids that dont give up my hat is off to them, they play hard the whole game

-- Posted by kmasters on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 9:38 PM

Hey, what's wrong with high school golf!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 9:39 PM
  • charleston is the best overall team in semo this year and i predicted this last year at state, they are the real deal.... also we have some very good teams that will go a long ways in their class at state this year ....quit fighting and get behind all of semo teams, semo teams will be represented good this year in most classes at state so go semo teams

-- Posted by kmasters on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 9:43 PM
  • @ buck 4 lol

-- Posted by kmasters on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 9:46 PM

Bluegold, I would love to attend but family Christmas party will not allow me to go.. I'm going to come see SC play sometime soon

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Wed, Dec 14, 2011, at 11:27 PM

not a problem hornetsfan, and best of luck to you all also.

-- Posted by Bobcat_#53 on Thu, Dec 15, 2011, at 4:57 PM

I think SC has a good chance at beating Jackson. All Christmas Tourney's this year will be exciting to say the least.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Dec 17, 2011, at 12:12 AM
  • Bluegold, I am not sure you should be referring to me in the way you did on saturday but I guess it shows your maturity level!

-- Posted by localfan on Tue, Dec 20, 2011, at 12:39 PM

hey, bluegold...we're the same age...may have played ball against each other...we never played SC in football or basketball back in those days; just baseball matchups

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Dec 20, 2011, at 10:15 PM
  • I'm going out a limb: Cape Central over Charleston in the finals.

-- Posted by tom on Wed, Dec 21, 2011, at 12:28 AM

Charleston will win the X-Mas Tournament. Tom, Cape Central will not beat Charleston, but people have rights to their opinion.

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Wed, Dec 21, 2011, at 8:27 AM

Wow, you guys are old lol.. I'm just 28.. I guess I should start respecting my elders. just kidding fellas

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Dec 21, 2011, at 10:33 AM

I also think Charleston will win it all, but there should be some good matchups throughout the week. Obviosly being a Delta fan I'm eager to see the possible Delta vs. Oak Ridge rematch in the third round. I think the winner of that game if it happens takes Consolation Bracket in a close one over Chaffee. I can't wait.

-- Posted by Bobcat_#53 on Wed, Dec 21, 2011, at 10:35 AM
  • Bluegold, understood! The opinions are what makes the threads just no need to refer to anyone with anatomical parts. Happen to fall into the same age group and just love local basketball. Actually grew up with southern Illinois basketball and still follow it also.

-- Posted by localfan on Wed, Dec 21, 2011, at 10:52 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: