Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: SEMO Conference Tourney Finale

Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 11:53 PM:

Tonight, things got a lot more interesting and set up some intriguing rivalry games for tomorrow night as well as an unexpected surprise in New Madrid making the consolation finals against Jackson. So what are everyone's predictions?

For the Consolation finals, I think that Jackson is going to use their size to take a pretty good game. New Madrid showed that they are developing into a team that is going to get some wins this year. I just don't think that they will be able to compete with Meyer, King, and the rest of Jackson's size guys. However, I could be wrong as Jackson's guard play has been very suspect so far.

For the third place game, I am going to pick Notre Dame to upset Cape. The Blue Dogs play very good, tiring pressure defense and can really frustrate opponents. Cape primarily has Tisdell as the contributors around him haven't exactly stepped up yet. The game will be good but ND will just be too much for Cape to handle.

Finally, I stick by my pick of Sikeston winning the championship. I think that while Charleston has some good players, they will wear down just like last year. Charleston is a bit suspect in shooting in my opinion. I think that without being able to put the team on the shoulders of someone other than Tucker, they are going to just run out of options. Ruffin is breaking out as a top player in the area and an assassin of a shooter. Jamison has an uncanny nose for the basket and an Allen Iverson playing style. Jones and Bratcher come off the bench and play almost better than the starters. McGee provides a spark. Warfield and Coleman can dominate the boards. I just think that Sikeston has too much this year. It'll be a fun game. What does everyone else think?

Replies (133)

• I might sneak into this one and observe.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Dec 8, 2011, at 11:55 PM

It was worth the trip to see the blue dogs and the red dogs.Notre Dame played hard.I think the game changer was the 3point shot that should have been a 4 point play by Jamison with 1 second before halftime.Jamison and Ruffin are a duo that are tremedous.The bench played great as well.I think Charleston took Cape for granted.They had good defense at times but they never really got set in there offense.I'll have to make the trip tomorrow for a great game.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 12:14 AM
  • I think sikeston blows Charleston out unless Greg and Ryan go off. We shut Greg down pretty well tonight until late, he was getting shots but couldn't make anything. Sikeston will be too much for them. I do think we will beat ND. I don't think they will be able to do anything about our big men. Charleston pressured us tonight and yes I know ND plays a lot tighter but tonight was great experience for us against a more aggressive athletic team. As long as we don't get into a 3 contest we should pull it out tomorrow. I figure that we'll try to slow the hand down and play a half court game.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 12:39 AM

SemoSports, how has your team been about turnovers because I think that will be key. When you say that you would try to slow things down and play half court, it can be tough. ND does a good job getting points when the opportunity arises. If Cape gets down a few points, will they be able to to play a faster game to keep up with ND?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 9:12 AM

My picks are NMCC,ND,Sikeston. The only blowout I see if Sikeston over Charleston. I just think Charleston needs more guys to step up other than Tucker. I say Sikeston 78-57

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 9:49 AM

I doubt the championship game will be a blow out... Sikeston is a great team but i dont think they should count charleston out. I think thats what happened to both teams last night ND and cape gave both championship teams problems due to taking them lightly. However, its going to be a great game and a awesome atmosphere.

-- Posted by BillSwerskisSuperfan on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 10:24 AM

I can't speak for Charleston but I can confirm without hesitation that Sikeston did not in any way doubt the skill of ND or take them lightly. Coach worked those boys hard to get them ready for last night.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 10:25 AM
  • If Sikeston took Notre Dame lightly, then Sikeston would have lost.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 11:11 AM
  • Cheesehead other people have stepped up for Charleston. Look at the box score from last night. Aaron Cassell lead all scorers. With that being said I was not impressed with Charleston last night. Looked like a team that thought they had the game won from the opening tip. You could tell they played down to Capes level. Last time I saw them at the riverbend they looked way different. Once they actually started playing defense in the forth Charleston took the lead and got away with the W lucky. I can see the Jays playing better tonight but not good enough to beat the dogs. 10 point win for Sikeston.

-- Posted by bb4life on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 11:32 AM
  • Home cooking tonight. Sikeston wins by 8. Not making excuses already or being biased. But if the games are officiated anything like they were last night, Sikeston will play very physical hand checking defense and get away with it, and Charlestons starters will be fouled out by halftime. IMO. Anyway, very excited to see this one. Should be a great atmosphere. I hope both teams play their best ball and leave everything on the court, with no "equalizer"(whistle)

-- Posted by Hershisers and Old Fashioned's on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 12:21 PM

There was a different referee crew for the Sikeston game from the Charleston game.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 1:14 PM
  • Wouldn't matter....excuses are already being formed. Next the Bums will intimidate the Bluejays...Whistles or not.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 1:45 PM
  • I know their were different crews. What are you talking about? Yes, barkley, that was going to be my next pregame excuse. The bums already intimidate the bluejays, who dont they intimidate? Those witty little chants scare the bajeebees outta me. I can just see the game getting out of hand due to whistles/ or lack of. Hopefully it wont come down to that.

-- Posted by Hershisers and Old Fashioned's on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 2:14 PM
  • buy or sell? Cape's newest import will make be on the team after beyond Christmas break?

-- Posted by ihateAZ on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 2:31 PM
  • Jackson over NMCC the size of king, Stevens and Meyer should be enough but the guard play is the ultimate decider of this one.

ND over cape. Too much pressure for Cape.

Sikeston over charleston. Ruffin and company roll to title again! I think their depth is too much for the jays!

-- Posted by localfan on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 2:45 PM
  • I cannot believe all of this about sikeston blowing out charleston. This will be a close game and close games usually go to the team with the best player on the court which arguably is greg tucker with ruffin coming in a close second. Both Charleston and Sikeston are close to 10 deep and neither will get wore down in the second half. These teams are very similar in style of play, depth, and athleticism. This will be a close game and has the potential to be a very sloppy game. Both charleston and sikeston like to play fast which many times leads to chaos and when they play each other you could see a lot of turnovers and sloppy play. My prediction Charleston 68-64. Tucker's big shot capability and Charleston's free throw shooting will be the difference.

-- Posted by bigtenfootball4ever on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 2:52 PM

Sell

-- Posted by Haterade on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 3:04 PM
  • i believe i disagree with everything you just said bleedblue, but good luck to charleston, should be a steamy one

-- Posted by ihateAZ on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 3:10 PM
  • Sell... He will be lucky to be there by the end of the week.

bigten....have you seen both teams play? It will be close during at half....Sikeston will pull away after that. Charleston played maybe 7 players last night.... Go Dogs!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 3:15 PM
  • AZ....who is this infamous "bleedblue" to which you are referring? I don't see a bleedblue on this thread.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 3:16 PM

He changed his name to bigten....

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 3:18 PM

SEC>BIG 10 in football.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 3:18 PM
  • Sorry, AZ....please accept my sincerest apologies!!!! :-)

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 3:18 PM
  • Sorry rocket, can't do that, you were mean and hateful and i am hurt

-- Posted by ihateAZ on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 3:27 PM
  • Ive been hearing that ND was better then charelston. And bigten I'd give charelston tucker in a heart beat for 10 guys that can play a high varsity level.

And hessiers or however you spell your name. Sikeston got shafted on a few calls last night too, so please don't try to say that will be the reason why we will win. It's because were a better team.

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 3:32 PM
  • ihateAZ---You are correct...Brown was kicked off the team last night according to folks at Central. Sideline---I'm trying to get interested! Good luck tonight.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 3:50 PM

AZ you are lucky you spelled "SELL" right this time or he would have been all over you for that!!!

-- Posted by Haterade on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 3:50 PM
  • I guess I should inform you guys that Darius quit the team last night. Now before you start saying he wasn't a team player and other negative things about him just understand that this is a very complicated situation and I shouldn't post on here what has happened. I honestly don't blame the kid for considering what he went through that you guys don't know about. He said a few weeks ago that he eventually would end up in paducah again so I assume he will transfer there at semester. IMO he fits onto that style of play much better, more streetball type play where everybody just wants the big play. Ge put up great numbers as a sophomore there so I expect even better as a senior next year. I wish him good luck but wish that things could've have went a little different for him here.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 3:55 PM
  • Brown was kicked off??

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 3:58 PM
  • Probably for the best for CT. The last thing that team needs is another Darnell Wilkes.

-- Posted by Jason Porter on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 4:03 PM

You have to have a good basketball IQ and be a team player to make a good player in Semo. Not saying this guy wasn't but in Semo, its a TEAM effort.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 4:47 PM
  • He wasn't kicked off, he quit. I've been told Church didn't really care when he quit which makes me question how much he actually tried to help Darius out.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 5:18 PM
  • Charleston wins. My prediction...75-71. By the way, did anyone else hear the "f" bomb dropped on that song over the loud speaker during halftime? Classy. Seriously though, that was a great game. Both teams played very hard. Sikeston definitely has a good shot at a repeat.

-- Posted by Hershisers and Old Fashioned's on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 11:36 PM
  • And I've never seen semoball so quiet. Weird

-- Posted by Hershisers and Old Fashioned's on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 11:37 PM
  • Everyone else was posting on the scores forumn. There are the band waggoners. I'm expecting a completely different outcome the next game. Charelston probably played their best game of the season, and we didn't shoot well at all. We had four or five turnovers trying to chunk the ball down court. Terrible officiating for both sides, but it was obvious it hurt sikeston more.

And Tucker honestly didn't impress me. I felt that JT was the best player on the court, and he's a sophomore. I'll take a loss now instead of when it counts.

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 11:51 PM
  • Gotta Love those Blue Jays!!!!!!! Go Charleston! Go!!!!!!! Shalom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-- Posted by silentplayer on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 11:54 PM
  • Yeah I didn't notice the other threads until after I posted. There are the bandwaggoners? I don't think tucker played that well tonight either. But, it's a team game. Sikeston is the better team is all I heard all week. As well as the whole depth thing. Anyway I'm sure charleston will come out to play the next time they meet up again. I wouldn't say completely different outcome.

-- Posted by Hershisers and Old Fashioned's on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 12:04 AM
  • We'll see. Were lucky it wasn't worse. Y'all were in the bonus half way into the third. That changes how we have to play defense. And our leading scorer goes down with a cramp. A few less turnovers and charelston misses a few shots we win. I expect to see a revamped team for now on.

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 12:10 AM
  • Sikeston needs to just understand when you are talked about , ranked, hyped all the time.....you get everyones best game......

NOt reverting back, but this summer....at Farmington, when football players were lifting, running, doing 7 on 7 etc.....there was a sign n Farmingtons Locker room....

Work Hard Enough

Lift HArd Enough

Play hard enough

To Beat Sikeston

And they did.....but my point is, it seems quite a compliment,to be focusd on, 5 months before you even play ........and to be considered that highly, as "the" team to beat.....

Sikeston's basketball team just needs to work hard, play hard, train hard, run hard.....and realize you are in the crosshairs, every game.....

It's a long season....or as we say ....it's a Marathon....not a sprint.....

-- Posted by Headhunt on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 12:26 AM
  • im sorry but charleston is the best team in semo so far.......... cant help if you like it or not, im a scc fan and yes they will beat them to, they are the real deal

-- Posted by kmasters on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 12:53 AM
  • Charleston is not only the best team in SEMO. They are one of the best teams in the state.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 1:19 AM

Good job Bluejays and congrats! All I've heard for the last 2 season is how good sikeston is and how deep they are! They go 10 deep well they didnt tonight when the pressure was on. They went ab 8 deep and 7 scored.Tucker didn't play well and Ruffin is the REAL deal and left it all on the court tonight! I know sikeston is ****** and i know that in January I will be a totally different game... Should be a better sequel! I can't wait

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 1:25 AM
  • Charleston is the best team in semo, so far. But honestly, I dont know which team would win a ten game series. My pride would guess Sikeston but I just don't know yet.

Charleston impressed me with the win but not the game play. They made open shots that Sikeston couldn't get to due to collapses of the zone... executing off Sikeston mistakes=winning the game(point blank period.) However, i will say that the mistakes are ones that Sikeston will polish in the next month.

All excuses aside, I believe this game was decided on who executed at the free-throw line and down the stretch Sikeston didn't succeed at the line. I seen them go 1 for 2 at the line way too often to win.

I'm looking forward to the next time they play eachother with a game not decided by free-throws. It's part of the game but I want to see two good teams competing with less fouls.

-- Posted by 24/7 champ on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 1:43 AM
  • Ok, sportsfans, the basketball game tonight between the Charleston Bluejays and the Sikeston Bulldogs was a DOOZIE!! First off, hats off to the Bluejays for beating the Bulldogs on THEIR homecourt that they are 51-0 in the last 51 games at home and also coming off that impressive 30-0 year last year.... Now getting to the game... In the beginning i figured Sikeston would win, yes, but i knew Charleston could play with Sikeston IF they made their shots and if the referees didnt call fouls.. Charleston is so quick that the refs automatically "assume" its a foul.. Coming out in the first half i knew Charleston would either win or only get beat by a few and in the end they come out on top.. Now i am seeing how Sikeston fans are saying that they couldnt play defense cause of foul trouble... That is somewhat true.. Who says you have to foul to play great defense? If you are a great defender then you wouldnt foul.. So its not the fact that they couldnt play defense its just that they were outplayed.. Face it Sikeston Bulldog fans, you guys arent as great as you were last year.. Sikeston played EXTREMELY HARD, but the Charleston Bluejays played HARDER.. Cant wait for Jan 6th..

-- Posted by Johnny "Drama" on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 2:02 AM
  • My hat goes off to Greg and Ryan, tonight you played like true captains. Because the team will play as well as you play. Not saying that you have to be the top scorer or out play everyone else because it's all about playing as a team. If you're playing sluggish the team will play sluggish. If you're down then the team is down but if you're uplifted then the team will be also. It truly doesn't matter who hits the most points, what matters is how well you play the game and defense counts as well as offense. What I am saying, is that, true captains know how to get their team motivated and make things happen and you guys done a great job tonight! Let's go Blue Jays!!!!!!

-- Posted by silentplayer on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 2:54 AM
  • I went and watched the Riverbend classic a few weeks back and I kept telling ppl to watch out for Charleston they are going to be good all they needed to do was to learn how to play as a team not as a me game. Well last night they played as a team and i was really impressed. Wished you wouldnt of beaten us but we had to loose a game sometime and I'm glad it was by a good team.Now next time you play I hope it will be just as an exciting game but with a much better outcome for us.

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 8:30 AM

The game was great.Charleston played hard Charleston was hitting on all corners Sikeston had a tough night.The game changer Sikeston had two back to back steals and mcgee fouled slowed the momentum and that was the game.JT played great Jamison PLayed all but 30 sec Ruffin cramping.WHOA.Differant outcome in Jan im sure.Another battle.I wouldnt say C was the best team they look sorry against Dexter an sorry against Cape they were lucky to get past Cape to be in the championship game...lmbo.Good Game.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 9:10 AM

The game was great.Charleston played hard Charleston was hitting on all corners Sikeston had a tough night.The game changer Sikeston had two back to back steals and mcgee fouled slowed the momentum and that was the game.JT played great Jamison PLayed all but 30 sec Ruffin cramping.WHOA.Differant outcome in Jan im sure.Another battle.I wouldnt say C was the best team they look sorry against Dexter an sorry against Cape they were lucky to get past Cape to be in the championship game...lmbo.Good Game.

• Hats off to Charleston. As HEADHUNT says....we are going to get everyone's best game and that was Charleston's. They couldn't miss. I know they are a good team, but they shot lights out! They just hadn't shot the ball that well to that point. You just have to tip your cap to them.

The Dogs will come out focused and on a mission now. The rematch will be a good game too. Go Dogs!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 10:30 AM
  • It was only fitting that the streak come to an end at the hands of the Bulldogs archrival. After all the Sikeston talk over the last five losses to the Bulldogs, my first urge was to gloat, but I realized something this morning---Southeast Missouri basketball is probably one of the toughest regions of the state to play in---at times there may be better teams in other areas of the state, but I dont think you would find a better GROUP of teams top to bottom than in SE Missouri particularly the SEMO conference. Beating Sikeston is awesome, but what is really special is when 4-5 SE Missouri teams are in Columbia and the other teams from SE Missouri are pulling for them to bring back the hardware. Looking forward to January 6th Charleston-Sikeston II at the field house. Hope my Bluejays win, but I also hope that it is as good a game as we witnessed last night. And I hope we BOTH blow out Notre Dame.

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 11:58 AM
  • Which Notre Dame player left the ND bench and went and sat in the stands?

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 11:59 AM

Delph, idk his first name... I think he was #50

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 12:04 PM
  • Oh good. I was hoping it wasnt Demonte

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 12:23 PM
  • bluejay...you said you hope we both BLOWOUT ND....that is something we both can agree on!!

SEMO is blessed to have so many good teams....you are correct. You can bet I will be pulling for Charleston if they make it to Columbia.

As far as Jan 6 goes...I gotta pull for my Dogs!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 2:48 PM
  • @stl You say Charleston looked sorry against Cape and against Dexter well from what I saw Charleston was the better team last night and will be in the Christmas tournament. What I have seen is when they play against a tough team, they play tougher. Cape and Dexter was just too slow and Charleston played to their level and I hope Charleston players begin to play to their full potential against every team and not just the tough ones, maybe some people will shutup. I know and many others know that Charleston could have blown those two teams out at anytime but thanks to the refs, they made sure that they didn't. Fouls after Fouls was called on the Blue Jays but when Cape and Notre Dame played same touching, a lot of fouls were not called. Everyone in the SE region knows that the refs have something against Charleston. Especially those from Sikeston and Cape. So, you see, Charleston always have to bring it or risk the ref taking the game from them and YOU KNOW that's the truth!!!!!!!

-- Posted by silentplayer on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 4:11 PM

^^^REALLY???^^^ You're delusional with your conspiracy theory about refs having something against Charleston.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 4:15 PM
  • LOL, and I thought Sikeston was the ones getting the tough calls. They had a lot more fouls called on them than Charleston did and had serious foul trouble all night.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 5:24 PM
  • Not much luck in the first attempt at blowing ND out...

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 6:00 PM

I'm still waiting on the article and photo's from game. They are usually up by now. Anyone know who writes to articles?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 6:40 PM

Prolly be a while, sikeston lost, that won't be published with all haste....

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 6:55 PM

The paper doesnt print on Saturday so it will be up Sunday.Farmer quit as well from Notre Dame.No playing time.The refs in the first two games were cool the last three ughhhhhhhh they were the same ones in the late game thursday.Not a blujay thing jus those set of refs.Charleston traveled all night long Sikeston fouled all night.Ill ref the next game.FAIRLY favoring........HAHA

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 7:06 PM
  • The Sikeston paper won't post the article until it comes out tomorrow. Buck...cool your jets. It's one game dude. I know everyone wants the Dogs to lose...come on man!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 7:10 PM

I was just asking when the article was going to get posted. I meant no harm

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 7:28 PM
  • I have to say my hats off to both teams as well. It is ashame that there has not been a story on here about the game because it was probably the best game between those two in years. Congrats to CHARLESTON BLUEJAYS on a job well done and playing TEAM ball. I was at the game last night and NO Charleston didn't just win only because Sikeston played so bad NOT TRUE at all! Sikeston played hard but they really only have two players that are good and a third that will be someone to watch and those are Ruffin, Jones, and Warfield (in that order) whereas Charleston has five good players, a guy that jumps out the gym, and get help from their bench. The better team just won last night plain and simple and you have to remember Charleston is known for basketball and winning CHAMPIONSHIPS and not just ONE so people please please speak the truth about the game and quit making excuses for Sikeston. They just lost and yes they will play better in January I would expect that, who wouldn't but Charleston will also. No the refs weren't the greatest for both teams but good players know how to play through adversity. I am not biased because I didn't go to either school I just like good basketball.

-- Posted by Miss_True_Blue on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 7:49 PM

Trueblue is your name and you aren't biased. That's completely laughable. And, that's a horrible first post. You are clueless about Sikeston's talent. Jamison is easily one of the top guards in the area.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 8:08 PM

Who are you addressing, farm? Plenty of fans said nd would play sikeston fairly close.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 8:11 PM

It was a joke haha! Cool yours ;). But still it's not like it's gonna be a front page spread.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 8:15 PM
  • The two guys who said they want Sikeston and Charleston to blow ND out.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 8:17 PM

Gotcha. Most intelligent fans believed otherwise.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 8:25 PM

Nd hasn't had a down year in a while and always play hard.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 8:29 PM
  • Scott1130 is dillusional and most likely from SCC.....Sikeston and Charleston are easily the best two teams in this area.

-- Posted by BillyBlue on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 8:33 PM

Great teams feed of doubters. They make excellent bulletin board material.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 8:40 PM

He knows his basketball.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 8:42 PM
  • To Yah-Yah I am not biased. The school I went to colors were BLUE and WHITE (NOT CHARLESTON). I am a die hard COLTS fan so there is your answer to YOUR OPINION. I do know basketball. I played in a summer league, jr. high, high school, and was an assistant coach for a girl's summer league so there is your answer to YOUR OPINION. If you feel Sikeston guard is one of the best around then that is YOUR OPINION and I respect that. You must be a Sikeston fan because you are still upset that Sikeston lost! Anyway, Congrats to both teams for giving the fans probably the game of the year!

-- Posted by Miss_True_Blue on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 9:26 PM

I stand corrected in regards to your name. But, I assume your opinion of Sikeston is coming from one ballgame. Try watching more and tell us what you think.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 9:40 PM
  • Which sports story is EVER a front page spread other than a state championship or some other landmark? Sikeston did lose for the first time in 35 games so that is something of a landmark I guess. Not sure if it is front page worthy though. But it goes to show you how much of a powerhouse Sikeston has become, when them losing is HUGE news.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 10:45 PM
  • yah-yah, I think your initial instincts are sound in regards to Miss True Blue. That is MY OPINION though.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sat, Dec 10, 2011, at 10:55 PM

YOU have a great grasp of CAPS LOCK just like miss blues clues! I don't know what to believe, hoops. I'm just ready for January 6th.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Sun, Dec 11, 2011, at 7:58 AM

I disagree with Miss True Blue.She doesnt look at the Sikeston roster well.Must be a relative of all three she named. I put Ruffin Jamison Jones in that order.I could flop Ruffin and Jamison simply because Ruffin scores but Jamison has a all over court solid stats.Looking at the stats from this weeks articles Jamison first in assist free throws second in points third in rebounds.Of course Ruffin has the pull up jumper that wont stop. Jones is a beast of the bench.Warfield does his job but turns the ball over alot.Just my view.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Sun, Dec 11, 2011, at 8:34 AM
  • No, yah yah you are delusional because you only see one-sided. We finally got a somewhat fair game played in Sikeston!!!! Drummond always cheat for Sikeston! Thank God for the one ref or else we would have been walking out with our heads down!!!!! But remember it is only a game and anything can happen on any given day!!!!!AND WE WILL BE READY 1/6/2012!!!!!! PEACE!!!!!!! GOTTA LOVE THOSE BLUE JAYS!!!!!!!

-- Posted by silentplayer on Sun, Dec 11, 2011, at 9:59 PM
  • Silent player, id say charelston got a majority of the calls, the refs had an impact on both teams because they were inconsistent. If you weren't dellusional you'd see that charelston shot lights out, and even people from charelston are saying they've never seen them shoot that good. They played a heck of a game. And in all honesty i didn't feel like we played as good as we could have. But that could have been because of charelston.

We will se January 6th, and I'm expecting another exciting game.

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Dec 11, 2011, at 10:41 PM

Drumond cheat for sikeston!? HA your the dellusional one!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 12:30 AM

I have thought long and hard about the game and one I didn't want to believe this at first but after Friday I believe it more and more. I know people are going to jump all over me for this, but this is just my observation and if I'm wrong, well it won't be the first time. I think Sikeston has one problem....they have a ME ME ME person on the team! If that is an issue, that needs to get fixed ASAP! If I'm delusional and it's all in my head, then there are no worries! LOL!

-- Posted by mmorse on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 8:34 AM
  • mmorse....you got it! They have 3 guys in double figures with 2 more almost in double figures! Yep, I'd say you got it. Wow! Now Coach Holifield knows exactly what to fix! Great call! I'll tell him before the game tonight. I mean....we don't have 9 guys in double figures...that's the problem.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 8:48 AM

There are no issues. They lost ONE game. Charleston shot lights out, Sikeston didn't. End of story. Life goes on.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 8:49 AM

Thanks for relaying that message for me Rocket! I appreciate it! Tell him to keep an eye out! Touch a nerve there moron? Sheeesh! Hilarious!

-- Posted by mmorse on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 8:53 AM

"I know people are going to jump all over me for this, but this is just my observation and if I'm wrong, well it won't be the first time."

I guess I called it! Took a little longer than I thought though. Good grief! I didn't expect you to be the first one Rocket. I figured it would be your sidekick.

-- Posted by mmorse on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 8:57 AM
  • i agree

-- Posted by reddog23 on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 9:40 AM
  • I'm the moron? Actually, there are 4 players in double figures with another averaging 8 and another averaging 6. And I'm the moron. That's laughable! Let me guess....Coach Holifield should just abandon what has won so many games now....right? mmorse...have you heard the saying "it's better to be quiet and let everyone think you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"? It would behoove you to adhere to that bit of advice. Just sayin....

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 9:44 AM
  • just say just now here ye hear ye rock680 Bucko. u are just do so smart are not ya Bub? behoove is not even a word and you ussed it in a sentence. and who just whot are you quoteing?

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 9:49 AM

I guess from now on before someone has an opinion they need to ask the resident "experts" if it is ok to post their comments as so not to get their panties in a wad!

-- Posted by mmorse on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 10:00 AM
  • mmorse has a point. Rocketboy and other's detest anybody, and I mean anybody (having any opinion that is different from theirs) about their Bulldogs. Where is rocketsblo during all of this debate, or sidelinefarter..........hey, I'd even like to hear semopoops' side of this!!

-- Posted by Hemingway on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 10:05 AM
  • mmorse.....you can comment on anything you like. I'm just telling you that you will be called out. If you post something idiotic, then it will be called such. You have every right to be wrong!

Himisgay.....rock....crawl....you.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 10:11 AM
  • I don't have a problem with anybody sharing their opinion, but you must be prepared for a rebuttal if I find mistakes and errors. And there usually are.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 10:16 AM

So because I make an observation that I thought someone might be a little excessive in their shot taking, instead of a rebuttal I get a sarcastic filled response? I know I have every right to be wrong Rocket, just like you have every right to kiss as much butt as possible!

-- Posted by mmorse on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 10:22 AM

I do like to read the comments from folks, but man! Peace out!

-- Posted by mmorse on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 10:31 AM
  • Rocketboy............try....to........make......me. Exactly what I thought. You are just mad because I am more knowledgeable about basketball than you are! And if you don't agree, you'd be wrong. Period.

I'm still waiting on that game from one of your scared buddies on here, hoopsishartedagain. I will play you both---one on two and will put a boot in both of your tails on the court. #takeittothebank

-- Posted by Hemingway on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 10:45 AM

Ok... OUTSIDE VIEW!

I am from Jackson and was at Monday nights game and Friday nights game. I saw a Sikeston team that isn't complete. You can paint the picture anyway you want but the reason "CERTAIN" people get points for Sikeston is cause of their work on the glass... NOT EVERYONE gets to take shot after shot after shot! As I see Sikeston has a couple of problems on this years team. ONLY ONE SENIOR LEADER!!! You can say that they have those other guys but the only leader by his play and attitude would have to be the point guard (Jameson ?sp) You have a Junior on this team who is an amazing ball player but it seems to me he is alot like Carson King for us.... JUST TRYS WAY TO HARD TO MAKE A SHOT OPPORTUNITY HAPPEN. I know Sikeston struggled with foul trouble and this kids cramping on the night so I guess I can give them a rain check but he is the black hole of the Sikeston offense when in a half court set. Just like Carson for us, if these guys could take advantage of the opportunities that are true scoring chances they would be better all around ball players. I saw this kid pass up the open shooter several times for a runner or stop and pop jumper that just wasn't happening. I know they say shooters keep shooting but sometimes it hurts a team. Now onto the BEST player Sikeston has, JONES is going to be good and if you ask me the best player Sikeston has had since Michael Porter!!! He is strong and always seems to have a sixth sense where the ball is going to be and gets it! He can shoot, he can rebound, he seems pretty good at handling the rock too. The other kid I noticed for Sikeston was #40, i think was his number and he is a very good ball player. I love his intensity on and off the court. He was out of his chair cheering when he wasn't in the game and when in the game he was in the face of WHOEVER got near. After those four players Sikeston doesn't have much leadership or scoreres just a bunch of role players. I have some simple questions to ask each of you and I will answer each how I see it...

Are they a better team than Jackson? HELL YES! Will they get better this season? HELL YES!

Will they lose again this season? PROBABLY!

Do they have what it takes to make it to Final 4 again? WITH WORK YES!!!

Is there a reason #23 starts over these other guys? NO Jones or #40 should be starting

I don't know if any of you read your own post but please stop gettin so mad when someone has an opinion. A few of you just get ***** when something is said that you don't agree with 100% and come across like a bunch of sissy cry babies!

Sikeston will be fine it just isn't the senior lead team they had last season!

-- Posted by Mac N' Cheese on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 11:11 AM

I agree indian22.Sikeston plays the title not the player.Meaning the title of senior gets play rather than the player that gets out there and plays hard and is better than a senior.I agree that JT should be in the starting line up.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 11:25 AM

Amen indian! Amen!

-- Posted by mmorse on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 11:31 AM
  • indian22....I respond to people regarding Sikeston because that is the team I follow. I feel like I know the most about this team. Other than the coaches, I feel like I know more that most....save a few other posters on here (i.e. semohoops). It doesn't matter how.....I just do. I am not a coach and I'm not even an employee of the school system. Let's just leave it at that.

Most of the posters on here are just glad Sikeston lost....period. They hate Sikeston's recent success. It's just jealously if you ask me, but I'm sure they will say it is because of posters like me or other Sikeston posters.

Now, so-called, Sikeston fans get on here and say that we have a ME problem. There is no basis for that. We have 4 players averaging over 10 points and 2 more with 8 and 6. To say that one person is a "ball hog" just isn't correct. Did they all take shots that were ill-advised? Yes. However, the whole team is very unselfish and play that way. Would we be having this conversation if they won? No.

They didn't lose because one person took too many shots. They lost because Charleston shot the ball unbelievably good. We also didn't stop the ball well enough on transition D and didn't run the offense very effectively. All of which you have to credit Charleston. Are those things correctable? Yes. Will they get corrected? Yes. But to say there is a ME problem is just flat wrong.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 11:36 AM
  • As far as the personnnel issues....there is two sides to that. If you start JT, you lose the scoring punch off the bench. It's a two-edged sword. I will defer to the coaches for that, but I do agree JT needs to see A LOT of time. I have a hunch he will. Markeith (#40) is a very good player too...as are all of the kids. Markeith brings a bunch of energy to the team. He has the prettiest shot on the team and when he hits his stride....look out!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 11:40 AM
  • the reason sikeston lost is real simple charleston was better that night...... enough said go to new topic

-- Posted by kmasters on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 12:42 PM
  • Rocket i completely agree with you. At times I find myself wondering why Markeith and Jones are not starting, but after watching almost every Sikeston game this year I see what you mean about the double edged sword. Most teams in this area including Charleston when they go to their bench they lose something. It may not be a huge loss but there is definately a drop off in the level of play, but with Sikeston you don't have that same drop off when subbing off of the bench. The reason is Bratcher and Jones. Their energy and intensity off the bench hits every opponent square in the mouth. Where most teams see a negative swing in points when they go to their bench, Sikeston sees a positive swing. Sikeston's bench doesn't blow leads, it expands them. That alone is why Sikeston has a GREAT chance to head back to Columbia this year.

-- Posted by bigtenfootball4ever on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 12:48 PM

Back on Indian he is not just talking about the Charleston game thats over done with.New day Done deal.He stated he was at more than one game.I agree to come down court with 3 defenders your players arent in position to rebound.If u hit thats all gravy if u dont then you allow the opposing team to counter.Its not about being selfish its about knowing the game and where your TEAMMATES are.Its ok to have a shooter touch when u are shooting under control.Thats for anybody on any team.Every game last week had people taking shots that were ill advised.I even said myself OH NO HE DIDNT just shoot that are pass that.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 12:57 PM
  • Excellent post bigtenfootball4ever. Excellent. And I totally agree.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 1:47 PM
  • Really Scott? Sikeston isn't as good a team as last year? And why would you expect them to be? All they did was go 30-0 and put themselves in the conversation of one of the greatest teams in SEMO history. They lost four starters (THREE all-staters). Did you really expect them to be better, or on equal footing as last year?

Folks listen, this is a new team. They replaced four starters in addition to their top scorer off the bench. There's going to be some up and down moments. I do fully expect them to keep improving and working though and they will hopefully contend for another district title and make a playoff run. Although I'm sure they will have no chance whatsoever against Scott's precious Soldan team that he continues to peddle to us as if we don't know anything about them. But lets just see how much they can improve throughout the season, even though there is a chance they will lose another game somewhere along the way as shocking as they may be to some of you folks.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 2:00 PM
  • I've been reading these post for weeks leading up to the tournament, and I've read so many times on these threads about how good the team is,what we did last year and I also remember alot of you guys blasting the poor blujay pride guy because he would always revert back to the "state titles" CHARLESTON had won over the years including the last one they won in 2007...most if not all of you always made the comment that, it was old or that was in the past...well last yr 30-0 state champs are old also...I get so annoyed by younguys always reverting back to 30-0 state champs its old like you all use to say... its a new year, new focus,new teams...thats the beauty of sports, yes you went out last year and won the TITLE, but those of us who have won, knows the raod is never easier in fact it gets harder, because again everybody is gunning for you...ON ANOTHER NOTE...I think Holifield is a good coach but to put him on the level with Cookson and McFerren is a bit much, you think? Those two guys are legends of in the state of Missouri...I mean the are 1a,1b couldnt go wrong with either one...but to say Holifield belongs with those guys are totally nuts... I mean there has been couple coaches from SEMO area that had undefeated seasons, the two I mention before and Coach Bidewell from P'ville had underfeated seasons and all 3have won mutiple titles so, while Holifield is a good coach, lets not get carried away with putting him up with those legends I named, HALL OF FAMERS i might add...I know alot of you guys are going to get workedver this but it is the truth, like it or not...I mean heck Danny Farmer name should"ve been added before Holifield, by the way Farmer too is in the HALL OF FAME...Last but not least SIKESTON did make history with the 30-0 and 51game home winning streak, but being that it was over 20yrs ago but the little class 3 school from Charleston did win 55games in a row without a loss...from january of 89-january 91 the Bluejays won 55straight with back to back state titles...that too is a very tough act to follow... needless to say SCC ended that streak with their own undefeated season...so either BULLDOGS can bow their necks and continue to fight or they can let that loss affect the rest of their season...

-- Posted by BLACK MAMBA24 on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 2:41 PM
  • I don't think many people expected them to be as good but free posters continuously put how good they are and how they'll win state again, and how they have 5 studs, and are a top 50 national team.. well then yes to those who don't see each game assumes they are THAT good.. so don't backtrack because you lost a game and try to make others look dumb

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 2:48 PM

I got a feva' and the only prescription is more periods, Kobe.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 2:51 PM
  • Sikeston's 30-0 is relevant now because many of Sikeston's current players were key contributors from that team, so they have experienced winning at the highest level. Referencing state titles from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and even in '07 is meaningless because no current player was either not alive when they won them or were in grade school. And nobody is saying that Sikeston is going to win state this year, or at least I haven't. But having experienced it last year and knowing what it takes might, just might, give them a slight edge to at least pursue it. You see the difference BLACK MAMBA? If you don't, then I will pray for you.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 2:54 PM
  • Who said Holifield is on the same level as a Cookson or McFerren?

But while we're on it, who are you to say he's not? Are you basing this solely on state championships? Is that the only mark of being a great coach? Are there other factors involved?

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 3:00 PM

Nobody from Sikeston has said they deserve a national ranking or anything this season. Some people assume that because it was said by someone on the board, regardless of affiliation and whether serious or in jest, that Sikeston fans must assume it. This will all blow after today and tomorrow when there are new games to talk about.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 3:00 PM
  • Has there not been a story on the game or did i just overlook it?

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 3:05 PM
  • Duh! now i see it

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 3:11 PM
  • Actually hoops you posted it on sun,dec 11 at 6:09pm. Dont retreat HOOPS stand up to what u said..I know because what it takes because I've played for MAC before and I know how hard we worked to get those titles... never said he wasnt a good coach but being mentioned with those guys was just plain "SILLY"...and why dont you tell what coach or school doesnt want or try to win a STATE TITLE? Winning and respect and discipline are all involved with being a winning head coach...DAH.. yah yha you just try to make fun or have something negative to say whenever things are over your head, you failed to give Charleston credit for winning the game but manage to keep posting little subtle shots like Charleston shot "lights out" i mean to win you have to shoot lights out but DEFENSE won the game... Sikeston didnt lose Charleston beat them at the DOG DOME...pretty solid feat...IM sure they"LL be looking forward to JAN 6 too...

-- Posted by BLACK MAMBA24 on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 3:21 PM

I didn't give Charleston credit? Try again. Here was what I posted less than an hour after the Bluejays won:

Hats off to Charleston on the tournament championship and breaking a few awesome streaks Sikeston had going. Mark down January 6th on your calendars. The Dog Dome will be full with a line outside by 630. I can't wait.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 10:41 PM

And, you're telling me you're posts are over my head? You're right, I can't decipher half of it because of the multitude of periods you put in it. And, since when is saying a team shot 'lights out' a criticism. Yeah, man, you suck because you couldn't miss. Does that sound right?

-- Posted by yah-yah on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 3:30 PM
  • I honestly can't wait until we play again, we won like 8 straight games with charelston in a row. And we lose one time and were all hype?

I guess we'll see as the season moves on

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 3:32 PM
  • Mamba should have spent less time with MAC and more time with his English teacher.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 3:57 PM
  • Sikeston had beat Charleston 5 times since 2007. Until Sikeston's win in 2007 the Dogs hadn't beat Charleston since 1999-2000 season. I beleive that win came in the SIT Championship game.

-- Posted by bb4life on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 4:09 PM
  • Dustin are u serious? U guys won 5straight... Before 07 can u tell me the last time sikeston beat charleston, please... I know that answer 2000... So what are u saying!!! Lol... It's funny sikeston wins 5 in a row & it's a big deal, but if & when charleston mentions something about the streaks we've held over sikeston it's old stuff... Please... U won 5 in a row & I guarantee u the head to head series it's not even close... We can do an overall, decades, coaches, years whichever u like, pick one & I guarantee u, charleston has a dead bolt lock on the series.... Sideline you are numbers guy, please total that up for some of us... Oh I forgot you won't because u know you guys are so far behind is not even funny....lol... You'll do it for football, do it for basketball...

-- Posted by BLACK MAMBA24 on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 4:25 PM
  • Sikeston, like them or not, under the leadership of Holifield has become a very good basketball program. Do they have the tradition of Charleston yet? No. Do they have the potential to become stay a perrinial powerhouse in the state under his leadership. I say yes. Getting to the top and staying there over the course of many years is still to be determined. I am a Charleston fan but will root for Sikeston as long as they arent playing the Jays. Having good competition in our area makes for great games like we saw on Friday night and builds character for the teams when we play in Columbia in March.

I would like to see more powerhouse teams like SCC and Charleston coming out of SEMO.

-- Posted by gerardo on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 4:34 PM
  • Well stated gerardo.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 5:27 PM
  • I've read through this thread again, and there is just so much banter. It is such an early season still, and like I've said before, both Sikeston and Charleston are going to win alot of games this year. How far each team is going to go is ALWAYS an educated guess, even when the playoffs start when we have alot more information on each team, but this early in the season, it is a big big guess.

I say everyone should just agree that these are two of the best teams in the state. Notice I didn't say THE best teams in the state.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 5:31 PM
  • Black mamba please find my post where I said Holifield belongs in the discussion with Cookson and McFerren. Please find it and bring it to me.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 9:50 PM
  • Ok Black Mamba, Charleston won more games than Sikeston in the 70s, 80s, 90s and early 2000s. But Sikeston won more than Charleston in the 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s. What's your point? Here we go again with JayJayBlue/Bluejayfanatic living in the past. You gotta move forward man. Charleston has a great team this year. Why don't you focus on the present?

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 9:52 PM
  • Black mamba, I'm just bringing up the semi-present. That's the first time charelston has beat this group of seniors since the 8th grade. I do not care about the 70's or 80's because it is irrelevant. None of charelstons players have anything to do with their wins in the 90's but the last few wins by sikeston have been with this group of seniors playing.

And congrats to charelston for having a great past. But which group of seniors have had a more successful highschool career so far?

And great fun, that's exactly my point. I can't wait to see how the season unfolds because I'm expecting a few groups of fans to be pretty disappointed

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 9:58 PM
  • Me too!!! Again... Ha ha ha... Jan 6!!!!! Guys just doing what you guys have done or would've done had you won!!! Sikeston 9-10 deep, yet Ruffin cramping up... Yea they are well conditioned!!!!! " Hate it or love it!!!!

-- Posted by BLACK MAMBA24 on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 10:25 PM
  • Mamba = Uber classy...

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 10:32 PM
  • You have to be the slowest person, you make bearcat look smart. He caught a cramp, one time. That's the first time I've ever seen anyone from sikeston catch a cramp.

And no we wouldn't still be talking about it because we were expecting to win. That's what happens when your blessed with a team that wins a lot.

But I wont let you forget it after January 6th

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 10:34 PM
  • We've won alot!!! I'm sure more than you guys & your point? Its no fun when the rabbit has the gun is it? Ruby go to bed...

-- Posted by BLACK MAMBA24 on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 10:42 PM
  • We've won alot!!! I'm sure more than you guys & your point? Its no fun when the rabbit has the gun is it? Ruby go to bed...

-- Posted by BLACK MAMBA24 on Mon, Dec 12, 2011, at 10:42 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: