Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Story from the Democrat Argus from Final at D-burg xmas tourney

Posted by wheresthebeef on Fri, Dec 30, 2011, at 12:51 PM:

Since we have so much trouble getting stuff posted on SEMOBALL I took this story from the DA's

facebook page.

Tigers upset powerhouse Bolivar, win Dyersburg X-mas Tourney

DYERSBURG - The Caruthersville Tigers upset the heavily favored Bolivar Central Tigers 91-81 to here Thursday night to win the Dyersburg Invitational Christmas Tournament. It was easily Caruthersville's most impressive victory on the season as Bolivar came in the #1 ranked AA team and overall the #7 team in the entire state of Tennessee.

Caruthersville started fast, right off the opening tip senior Elbie Fonda dropped a 3 pointer from long distance. The combination of stifling defense and out of this world play from sophomore Forward Darrell Monroe, who had 19 points in the first quarter, put Caruthersville out to an early 30-20 lead after one. The one downfall for Caruthersville in the first was fouls as three of their starters picked up two fouls a piece in the first.

In the second quarter Caruthersville was able to push their lead all the way up to 14 at the 4:30 mark after a pair of threes from Guards Jamal Johnson and Steve Rodgers, but Bolivar would not just roll over. Thanks to a plethora of fouls from Caruthersville and a big quarter from Forward DeAndre McKinnie, who dropped in 11 Bolivar was able to cut the lead to 51-44 at the half. Though Caruthersville held the lead at the half there were pressing concerns in the foul department. Three Tigers, Darrell Monroe, Belton McWilliams and Tyler Grissom all went into the half with three fouls a piece.

Both teams traded baskets to start the third quarter, then Steve Rodgers pushed the Tiger lead back up to double digits with a three from the corner. Bolivar was able to follow that up with a 5-0 run to cut the lead to 56-51. Just when it looked as if Bolivar had the momentum in their favor, the young Caruthersville squad put up 10 straight points to push their lead up to 15. Bolivar was able to cut the lead down to ten with a buzzer beating three from McKinnie, but that was as close as they would get the rest of the night. Caruthersville's defense stifled any attempts Bolivar made at a run in the fourth and when Bolivar began to foul late in the game Caruthersville sealed the deal by sinking their last 8 free throws. When the final buzzer sounded, Caruthersville had pulled the upset over the Tennessee powerhouse by the score of 91-81.

"We played lights out tonight," said Coach Heeb. "Tonight we got a glimpse of we what we could be when March rolls around." The Tigers have now improved their record to 8-1 on the season and seemed to have hit their stride at the right time. "Nobody works harder than these kids," said Heeb of his team. "This week we took out Arkansas and Tennessee, next week we are coming for Missouri."

Along with taking home the tournament championship, four Caruthersville Tigers were named to the All-Tournament team. Steve Rodgers, Jamal Johnson, Elbie Fonda and Darrell Monroe were bestowed All-Tourney honors and Monroe, who averaged over 20 points and 10 rebounds per game was named tournament MVP.

CARUTHERSVILLE: (91) Darrell Monroe 28, Jamal Johnson 17, Elbie Fonda 16, Steve Rodgers 16, Tyler Cobb 7, Belton McWilliams 5, Tyler Grissom 2. FT 16-27 (3 pointers Fonda 2, Rodgers 2, Johnson 1, McWilliams 1)

BOLIVAR CENTRAL: (81) DeAndre McKinnie 24, Des Robertson 15, Chris Woods 14, Trey Polk 12, Anferne Kemp 5, Tyler Price 5, Derek Kemp 2, Davis Watkins 2, Kaleb McKinnie 2. FT 17-22 (3 pointers D. McKinnie 2, Price 1, Woods 1)

Replies (12)

Heeb cracks me up.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Fri, Dec 30, 2011, at 2:56 PM

Why is that?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Dec 30, 2011, at 2:57 PM

"This week we took out Arkansas and Tennessee, next week we are coming for Missouri."

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Fri, Dec 30, 2011, at 3:58 PM

I LOVED that quote!!! Coach Heeb is the man

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Dec 30, 2011, at 4:08 PM

Not arguing with you, he just cracks me up.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Fri, Dec 30, 2011, at 4:38 PM

Don't see anything about Doniphan in the article!? That's odd....

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Dec 30, 2011, at 4:45 PM

It's a conspiracy!!!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Dec 30, 2011, at 5:06 PM
  • Heeb just tells it like it is. That rubbed people the wrong way when he was younger but he always just says what is on his mind.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Fri, Dec 30, 2011, at 5:21 PM

I will point out that Bolivars coach coached the girls and boys basketball teams, his voice was worn and weakened during the girls game which was the championship game right before the boys final. He sat on the bench the whole game during the boys game except on time-outs. I begin to wonder if he just let his team go off of their raw talent and expect to win, as I said he never said anything or got out the drawing board. Heeb is an excellent coach and even though he can get on opposing teams coaches, fans and players nerves has has the respect of the Tiger fans and players.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Fri, Dec 30, 2011, at 6:16 PM
  • I really think Caruthersville has a chance to be the favorite "over Charleston" and the rest of the field in Class 3 this year!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Fri, Dec 30, 2011, at 6:47 PM
  • nothing wrong with spicing things up. david is motivating everyone to play welll against them as well as motivating his own team.

as far as the district goes caruthersville is going to have to beat kennett before they get charleston. they certainly are capable.

-- Posted by GSP on Fri, Dec 30, 2011, at 9:23 PM
  • beef I noticed the same thing with the Bolivar coach. The TN fans actually said that is how he always coaches. They say he acts like he hates watching his team play but that he is an excellent coach. He is just one of those guys that just sits and watches the game and hardly ever says a word. He has won 3-4 state championships over there in TN and Bolivar is the favorite to win the Class 2 state title in TN again this year. In TN there are only 3 classes so when you factor that in this was a very impressive win for Caruthersville. And I agree they are very capable of beating Charleston but they need to beat Kennett first which they are also capable of.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Fri, Dec 30, 2011, at 11:52 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: