Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Caruthersville vs Portageville

Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 10:31 AM:

Tigers rout conference foe Portageville

By MATT DUCKWORTH

DA Sports Editor

PORTAGEVILLE - The Caruthersville Tigers put a spanking on conference rival Portageville here Friday night, 74-47. The Bulldogs came into the game with a 7-1 record, ranked #3 in the state in Class 2, while the Tigers came in sporting a 8-2 mark fresh off a loss to Arkansas powerhouse Earle.

To say this game started off sloppy would be a huge understatement. Both teams had trouble with turnovers and fouls in the early going. A three pointer from senior forward Belton McWilliams at the 3:30 mark in the first quarter sparked a 8-0 run for the Tigers, which aided them to a 15-7 lead after one. The Tigers didn't let up in the second, starting the quarter off on a 6-0 run to push the score up to 21-7 at the 4:15 mark. After both teams traded a few baskets the Tigers got hot again, thanks in the most part to their smothering defense which gave the Bulldogs fits. The Tigers closed the first half on a 14-0 run which gave them a commanding 37-11 lead .

The Tigers' defense held the Bulldogs to a season low of 11 points in the first half and they outscored the Bulldogs 22-4 in the second quarter. CHS standout forward Darrell Monroe had as many points as the whole Bulldog team did in the first, while the stifling defense of the Tigers was able to shutout the Bulldogs All-Conference guard Tevin Walker.

The situation did not get better for the Bulldogs in the third quarter. After sinking a free throw to break the Tigers run, Caruthersville started a 5-0 run which was punctuated by a two handed monster slam dunk from Monroe, which pushed the Tigers lead up to 30 at 42-12. The Bulldogs were able to put up a better fight in the the third, but the mighty Tigers would still outscore the home team 16-13 to take a 53-24 lead into the fourth.

Though the Bulldogs were able to outscore the Tigers in the fourth quarter 23-21, it would be too little too late, as the Tigers cruised to an impressive 74-47 win over the state ranked Bulldogs. McWilliams has his best outing since returning with 19 points and Monroe added 18 points.

"Though we didn't play great in the first half, we played very hard," said Tigers Coach David Heeb. "I give Portageville a lot of credit, they could have rolled over in the second half but instead they really competed. I thought they were tougher than us in the second half, but it's scary to think how good we could be because we only played two good quarters."

One thing the Tigers did was pretty much eliminate the Bulldogs best player, Walker, from the game. Walker, who put up 36 in a game earlier this year versus Kennett, was held to only two points by the Tigers. "Tevin got into foul trouble, but when he was in the game we were definitely aware of him," said Heeb. "He is a heck of a player, but our kids did a good job on him and that definitely contributed to the final score."

The Tigers record improves to 9-2 with the victory, and with the halfway point of the season upon us, Coach Heeb is definitely happy with his team's work ethic. "I love these kids. No one works harder than they do. They move the ball, they are unselfish and they play so hard." When asked about what he believes his team needs to improve on, Heeb pointed to their toughness. "They need to get tougher and a lot of that comes with getting older, but I have told these sophomores that Elibie (Fonda), Belton and Tyler (Cobb) aren't going to be here next year. Let's not wait till we are juniors and seniors to do something special, let's do it while these seniors are here. We are good enough to be were we want to be, we just need to get tougher."

The Tigers were also able to win the Junior Varsity affair against the Bulldogs by a score of 77-59, thanks in large part to a 28 point effort from Jeremy Grant. The Tigers next game will be at home Friday night against Bootheel rival, the Hayti Indians.

Varstity Scoring

CARUTHERSVILLE (74) : Belton McWilliams 19, Darrell Monroe 18, Jamal Johnson 9, Elbie Fonda 8, Jeremy Grant 8, Steve Rodgers 7, Tyler Grissom 2, Tyler Cobb 2, Terry Manns 1. FT 13-27. (3 pointers Belton McWilliams 1) Fouled out: Darrell Monroe

PORTAGEVILLE (47) : Dominique Walker 14, Dion Foster 8, Steve Buchanan 8, Denzel Simmons 6, Eric Simmons 3, Daniel Allen 2, Jansen Darst 2, Tevin Walker 2. FT 16-28. (3 pointers Dion Foster 1, Steve Buchanan 2) Fouled out: Tevin Walker

Replies (21)

I liked Heebs strategy in this game, get in T Walkers head early and it payed off. Jamal Johnson and Elbie Fonda did a great job guarding both of the Walker kids.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 10:41 AM
  • Good article. That pretty much summed it up the Tigers played hard and were intense but were very sloppy. I know one thing Heeb was not happy after the game and neither were his boys. They know they can play even better than that and that is the scary part. Another thing to make note of is Jeremy Grant scoring 28 points in the JV game and then scoring another 8 in the varsity game. Jeremy scored 24 in a varsity game earlier in the season and will be a big part of this team coming down the stretch. Cville just has so many weapons. Monroe can go for 30-35 or the Tigers could have 5 guys in double figures. I think they have had 9 or 10 different kids score in double figures this year. They are fun to watch.

-- Posted by gocvilletigers on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 12:35 PM

CHARLESTON-74

CARUTHERSVILLE-55

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 1:10 PM
  • caruthersville may win this year but theres no doubt that they have even better days ahead of them.

-- Posted by GSP on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 1:36 PM

That's funny LU BlueTigers.. Keep thinking that way

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Jan 7, 2012, at 5:14 PM
  • Somebody dun sterd up the hood.

-- Posted by mule1993 on Sun, Jan 8, 2012, at 4:20 AM

Hahahah, yes they did, mule.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Sun, Jan 8, 2012, at 7:53 AM

Slick50 how bout some sentence structure? BTW Caruthersville has 4-5 guys that can put up 15+ a night we just "harp" on Monroe because he is consistent. No need in getting all bent outta shape, besides that game is weeks away no need for analysis at this moment we'll talk that game when it gets here. :~€

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sun, Jan 8, 2012, at 8:01 AM
  • ...heard the same thing about what Portageville was going to do to the Tigers. Caruthersville is battle hardened and road tested, plus I'll put our coaching staff up against any. Any prediction of Charleston over the Tigers by 10 is premature and wishful thinking. I'll save the prediction and crow after the result.

-- Posted by herbsmith on Sun, Jan 8, 2012, at 9:05 AM

Will be interesting to return to these posts following the matchup.

-- Posted by birdfan on Sun, Jan 8, 2012, at 9:10 AM

I never once said Caruthersville was going to beat Charleston for starters. I just said I love how everyone is just crowning them district champs already. Who said anything about Ctown being scarred of Cville? Of course their not scarred, they are a great team. It's just funny to me when someone says Ctown is going to win by 20+, that I can promise will not happen. Trust me when I say this, Caruthersville is more than just Monroe. Any one that plays varsity for us can put up 20pts on any given night. I'm not sure where all this Charleston hostility is coming from. I'm sure after the phone bill is due, we won't hear from of the Charleston faithful other than birdfan and a few others.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Jan 8, 2012, at 10:27 AM
  • Slick50 I don't know basketball. But when football come around again I know u will be scared. And I take the tigers by 20.

-- Posted by Jebbie88 on Mon, Jan 9, 2012, at 3:47 PM

I don't really care what Andy, Barney, Opie, and Gomer can confirm. How you did against Caruthersville has nothing to do with your ability to discuss sports.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Jan 9, 2012, at 5:21 PM
  • Quick Captain Kirk, I need the universal translator! LOL

-- Posted by GSP on Mon, Jan 9, 2012, at 6:44 PM
  • Chill out, Slick50. It is possible for someone to cheer for another team and/or believe another team will win a game without it being a personal insult worthy of a super-aggressive response. You're pretty new, so I'll give you a little wiggle room, but it's not cool to go on the attack every time someone says something nice about another team or suggests your team could be beaten. I've deleted two of your posts for cussing and personal attacks and don't want to have to delete any more.

If you're as connected/in the know as you're claiming, there is no doubt you can add to a healthy discussion and remind people just why it is you believe Charleston can't be beat, etc., etc. But other people are always going to have a counter-argument and Caruthersville fans are probably still going to cheer for and believe in their team...

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Mon, Jan 9, 2012, at 6:56 PM

Slick50 please take your distasteful discussions elsewhere, someone shoots you down (Rachel) and you have to try to verbally attack her. You are a nitwit, please leave nobody will miss you I promise that.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Mon, Jan 9, 2012, at 7:13 PM
  • Slick,

If you're suggesting that a pattern of well-thought out, reasonable posts and consistent contribution to the discussion leads to me addressing people and problems differently, what can I say...you're exactly right. But most people either eventually catch on and become welcome members of the community (even when getting in the occasional dust-up and engaging in the occasional verbal warfare and, yes, having their comments deleted and accounts suspended: see inspector gadget, the rocket bros, and many others) or find somewhere else to spew hate and insults. That's how it works here.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Mon, Jan 9, 2012, at 7:34 PM
  • I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. If you see a comment you believe should be deleted, by all means, he the yellow exclamation point so that it can be reviewed.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Mon, Jan 9, 2012, at 7:48 PM

It was a pretty simple analogy.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Jan 9, 2012, at 7:49 PM

Kinda what I was thinking, sideline.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Mon, Jan 9, 2012, at 7:54 PM
  • funny how is is about Cville vs Pville but it has been hijacked by a couple of crazy Charleston fans. Cville fans aren't even talking about Charleston and this dude comes on here talking crazy about how Charleston isn't scared of Cville. Did anybody say they were? Did anybody even mention Charleston at all? NO! Charleston has won 10 state titles and is one of the best basketball teams in the state. They don't need guys like slick coming on here making the real Charleston fans look bad. Cville and Charleston will be a really good game. If Cville beats them it will be a huge upset and even Cville fans would tell you that.

-- Posted by gocvilletigers on Mon, Jan 9, 2012, at 8:19 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: