Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Superman Classic in Metropolis

Posted by nimbus on Mon, Jan 9, 2012, at 6:45 PM:

Website, bracket, and webcast links found at http://mchs.massac.org/superman-classic-tournament

Replies (76)

• Yes it's gonna be a tough week, but we can handle it! Go BlueJays!!

-- Posted by BlueJayMomGT on Tue, Jan 10, 2012, at 4:12 PM

This is coming from somone who knows how it is at the Superman Classic. No matter how good Charleston is, the refs there will try their best to neutralize whatever advantage they have over the Ill teams. That's one of the reason's Cville dropped them is because of that non sense. If any team can go in and take it that tournament it will be Charleston. They have smart players and one of the best players in Semo on their team, Tucker! What I don't understand though, why did they schedule Cville in the middle of a tournament? Was that by accident?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Jan 10, 2012, at 4:42 PM
  • you hit the nail on the head about the officiating Cheesehead.

-- Posted by gerardo on Tue, Jan 10, 2012, at 4:44 PM

Charleston played in the Superman Classic for years; won the tournament several times, but like you said, it was against all odds. Tournament was always set up to favor Massac County, just as it is, this year. I was glad when Charleston finally dropped out; the only reason I could see for returning this season is to make them more mentally tough for the stretch run through districts and possibly beyond.

I didn't realize the C'ville game was squeezed in the middle of this tourney until yesterday. Sure makes for a very tough week.

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Jan 10, 2012, at 5:57 PM
  • I believe because the ND game was moved before Christmas, that created a Jan 20 opening and since we did not play Caruthersville last year during the regular season, Jan 20 was chosen for the Caruthersville game. At least that's my best guess.

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Tue, Jan 10, 2012, at 8:17 PM
  • @CHeesehead are you making the trip to Ctown next Friday?

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Tue, Jan 10, 2012, at 8:17 PM
  • If Charleston can win the Classic AND defeat a tough Caruthersville squad next week, they certainly will be sending a message that will be heard around the state in Class 3

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Tue, Jan 10, 2012, at 8:18 PM

I will be there!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Jan 10, 2012, at 8:26 PM

New Madrid dropped out for the exact same reasons!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 10, 2012, at 10:38 PM
  • Sikeston dropped out after spending 12 years in that crap tournament. Teams were good, but they set you up to fail and would absolutely screw the Missouri teams. I never heard one good word from any Missouri coach about it. Paul Hale, Holifield, McFerren, Brandtner, Farmer.....all of them could not wait to get out of that tourney. I'm very surprised Charleston got back in it. They will have their hands full over there. It's 5 against 8.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Jan 10, 2012, at 10:42 PM
  • I remember playing two games in one day at the classic back in 93'. We played a tough game earlier that day. We came back later that night to play the host team for the championship and lost. The refs made sure we all had more than enough fouls. They beat us at the line. Great experience.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Wed, Jan 11, 2012, at 9:02 AM
  • I have heard the same thing guys. From the coaches I have spoken with....they all hated the tournament.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Jan 11, 2012, at 9:21 AM
  • Did any other MO teams win over there besides Charleston? After we dropped out i quit paying attention although i knew some local teams were playing over there.

-- Posted by gerardo on Wed, Jan 11, 2012, at 9:27 AM
  • Sikeston won the Superman Classic in '95.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Jan 11, 2012, at 10:03 AM

Was just looking at some scores of teams who Charleston could face with common opponents in the Superman Classic.

Meridian defeated Vienna, Charleston's first opponent in the tourney, by a very wide margin. Meridian also defeated Massac County, the #2 seed, by 4 points at Massac County in the Holiday Tournament. Charleston defeated Meridian by 8 points at their place in mid-December.

Perhaps the level of talent is not as good as in years ago, but the playing field will definitely be leveled by the officiating.

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Jan 11, 2012, at 11:10 AM
  • birdfan...I don't think they (they being the Superman Classic) could pay any of Sikeston's brass enough money to go back to that tournament.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Jan 11, 2012, at 11:40 AM

Caruthersville won it once but not sure on the year

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Jan 11, 2012, at 11:59 AM

I was quite puzzled when I learned that Charleston was returning, this year. As I mentioned previously, the only reason I can figure for Charleston's return is maybe Coach Farmer wants his team playing in under adverse conditions to better prepare them mentally for a stretch run and beyond.

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Jan 11, 2012, at 12:25 PM
  • Or they just needed the games. Sometimes it's worth it if you are short on games. I can't think of one good reason to go over there unless you're short on games. But if you can win it, it's probably worth it. Charleston will have a real shot at winning it this year.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Jan 11, 2012, at 1:12 PM
  • Somebody told me that because of that Perryville deal canceling that they needed a game or two more. Not certain though....

-- Posted by gerardo on Wed, Jan 11, 2012, at 1:57 PM

Carbondale 65 Goreville 59

-- Posted by nimbus on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 7:58 PM

Massac Co 49 Calloway Co 37

-- Posted by nimbus on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 6:28 AM

GO BIG BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 8:05 AM

CHARLESTON normally performs well in the Superman Classic, so who knows...

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 8:06 AM

What time is Charleston's game today and who is it against?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 8:48 AM

8:00 PM, VERSUS VIANNA

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 9:19 AM
  • This tournament will battle test your team. C-ville game wedged in there is very interesting. If you can go over there and bring home the Championship Trophy you have accomplished something. Not only will you see biased officiating but some different styles of play, both of which is great for a team with a goal of a State Title and nothing less. Preparing for the different styles is as important as anything.

-- Posted by uncommon_sense on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 12:07 PM

I agree with ya there. I hate when my team goes out of state to play. Arkansas is not too bad but Ill and Tn are horrible as far as officiating goes. Its good for the teams to do it though so they can face some adversity and test their mentality.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 1:00 PM

Looked at the bracket and Charleston should have two easy games to start with. Although, don't forget the fact that the refs will try their hardest to keep them in the game. Massac County will be a tough draw in the Championship. Rooting for you guys! Bring the title to Semo

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 1:03 PM
  • Good luck, Charleston. I'm glad it's you guys playing over there and not Sikeston.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 1:56 PM

Carbondale won't be an easy game. They don't have many wins, but have played a very tough schedule with several close losses. They had to forfeit a victory over Vashon and beat Madison, recently. Goreville has a good team , too.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/carbondale-terriers-%28carbondale,il%29/bas...

-- Posted by nimbus on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 2:11 PM
  • Is the Charleston game going to be broadcast online?

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 5:39 PM

I doubt it. If they win tonight, Thursday's game will be on http://www.wdbx.org

-- Posted by nimbus on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 6:02 PM
  • Just wondering , is it still really dark in Massac Co gym?

-- Posted by indiantribe on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 6:35 PM
  • Jays up 12-4 after 1

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 8:46 PM
  • Correction 16-6 Jays after 1

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 8:51 PM

31-12 Charleston end of the first half.

-- Posted by I.P. Freely on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 9:05 PM

58-20 Charleston end of third.

-- Posted by I.P. Freely on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 9:33 PM

83-27 Charleston........final

Broadcaster says the Jays are "taking it on the chin" from the officials. Like he said, doesn't matter, tonight, but sure could come into play on Thursday night.

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 9:35 PM

Paducah Tilghman 58 Madison, IL 52

-- Posted by nimbus on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 10:36 PM
  • what time does Charleston play Thursday night? Computer not letting me open up bracket...

-- Posted by gerardo on Wed, Jan 18, 2012, at 8:46 AM

They play at 8pm on Thursday.

-- Posted by I.P. Freely on Wed, Jan 18, 2012, at 9:03 AM
  • so they get the 8pm game every night huh? Bet that was unintentional.....

-- Posted by gerardo on Wed, Jan 18, 2012, at 9:11 AM

Good job Jays!!!!!But challenge yourselves, do you want some of the cake, or have it and eat it too!!!!!!!!!!

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Wed, Jan 18, 2012, at 10:04 AM

Don't worry about refs, because no matter how many fouls they call, they can't stop the ball from going through the nets!!!!!!!!!!! Don't give them a chance to blow the whistle. If your driving and a defender is there, stop and pop and release. HAVE CONTROL OF YOUR BODY!!!!!!!!

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Wed, Jan 18, 2012, at 10:06 AM

On defense,MOVE YOUR FEET AND DON'T REACH,KEEP YOUR ARMS EXTENDED!!!!!!!!! Let the entire crowd know that you are playing HARD CLEAN D!!!!! Then the refs will be hesitate to call horrible calls, unless they are gitting paid under the table if you know what i mean.

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Wed, Jan 18, 2012, at 10:09 AM
  • got scores of the games?

-- Posted by pe-co85 on Thu, Jan 19, 2012, at 8:35 PM

Charleston up 20-12 over Carbondale with 5 minutes remaining in 1st half

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Jan 19, 2012, at 8:49 PM
  • how is Charleston play vs Carbondale

-- Posted by Miss_True_Blue on Thu, Jan 19, 2012, at 8:51 PM
  • meant playing

-- Posted by Miss_True_Blue on Thu, Jan 19, 2012, at 8:54 PM

31-23 Charleston at halftime.

-- Posted by I.P. Freely on Thu, Jan 19, 2012, at 9:03 PM

48-42 Charleston after 3

-- Posted by I.P. Freely on Thu, Jan 19, 2012, at 9:43 PM

Charleston over Carbondale 73-66.....will play Paducah/Massac County winner in championship on Saturday night

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Jan 19, 2012, at 9:53 PM

Charleston wins 73-66 over Carbondale.

-- Posted by I.P. Freely on Thu, Jan 19, 2012, at 9:54 PM
  • thanks

-- Posted by pe-co85 on Thu, Jan 19, 2012, at 9:55 PM

What is Carbondale's record?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 19, 2012, at 10:05 PM
  • Congrats to the Bluejays way to go guys!

-- Posted by Miss_True_Blue on Thu, Jan 19, 2012, at 10:06 PM

Per Maxpreps, Carbondale was 2-13 and ranked #312 in the state of Illinois.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Jan 19, 2012, at 10:09 PM

What's your point?

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Jan 19, 2012, at 10:18 PM

oh, I see....you were answering Cheese's question

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Jan 19, 2012, at 10:20 PM

LOL Chill birdfan.. jk with ya.. I didn't know what the record was. Wonder how they kept it so close? Were the refs bad?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 19, 2012, at 10:27 PM

Refs are always bad over there; I'm sure this game was no exception. I didn't go to the game so I really couldn't say why the game was as close as it was. Carbondale was not seeded in the top 4 but they upset Goreville in the first round and Goreville had a very respectable record. But, records can be deceiving. I'm sure Carbondale has played a much tougher schedule than Goreville.

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Jan 19, 2012, at 10:30 PM
  • The refs were horrible tonight. On top of that Charleston didnt have their best game. Great win considering those two factors.

-- Posted by Basketballbj on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 1:47 AM
  • Let's go Blue Jays! Bring home the hardware from Metropolis tonight. Jays have played a grueling schedule this week----but they didn't even look tired last night.

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 10:09 AM
  • Good luck Blue Jays! I hope against all odds you can win over there. It would be sweet to see you win when that tournament is intentionally set up to see you fail. But what you learn over there is going to go a long way to helping you win state regardless of the outcome. Several important assumptions will help. One, the fans will be against you. Two, take the most obviously biased ref performance you have ever witnessed and expect it to be ten times worse. Three, you must rise above all of the unfairness and maintain your composure. Four, the game cannot be close at the end or the refs will steal the game. I have watched too many tournaments over there where out of state teams have been done wrong. They are not getting any of my money so I refuse to go over there. If I can find it on the radio I will be listening and cheering for you guys. Good luck again from a die hard Sikeston fan.

-- Posted by citizen cyborg on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 12:46 PM

Cardondale 66 Paducah 58

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 7:55 PM

Anybody have a radio webcast on this game?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 8:01 PM

Charleston 35 massac county 27 at half... Tucker with 23

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 8:52 PM

I'm hearing the officiating is consistent...consistently one-sided.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 8:54 PM

51-38 end of 3

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 9:15 PM

60-47 charleston 4:43 left in 4th

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 9:24 PM

74-55 charleston... Final

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 9:46 PM
  • Four games in five nights including games on Thursday, Friday, and tonight. If anyone had any doubts about how special this team is---this week should squelch those doubts. 18-1, THREE tournament wins, #1 ranking in the state. All is right in Blue Jay nation. Couldn't happen to a finer group of young men.

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 9:50 PM
  • Congrats to the Jays! What a great week they've had!

BTW (and I really don't mean to hijack this thread), but does anyone know if Doniphan won the Liberty Invitational tonight over Eminence?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 9:52 PM
  • Once again congrats to the Bluejays! The refs were ABSOLUTELY horrible and that is an understatement. Way to bring that hardware back to Missouri.

-- Posted by Miss_True_Blue on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 10:02 PM
  • HOW BOUT THEM BLUE JAYS? Way to go CHS,good job. That should let people know not to count them JAYS out too soon. The young men played a tough week of basketball and came out undefeated. The JAYS are the real deal,hands down!!!!

-- Posted by pe-co85 on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 10:13 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: