[semoball.com] Login | Register
Post reply Read replies (33) More threads Create thread

National Anthem
Posted by birdfan on Mon, Feb 6, 2012, at 9:58 PM:

Saw this post on MoSports and thought it very worthy of a repeat post on semoball:

National Anthem at the Super Bowl - an editorial

"So, with all the kindness I can muster, I give this one piece of advice to the next pop star who is asked to sing the national anthem at a sporting event: save the vocal gymnastics and the physical gyrations for your concerts. Just sing this song the way you were taught to sing it in kindergarten ? straight up, no styling. Sing it with the constant awareness that there are soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines watching you from bases and outposts all over the world. Don't make them cringe with your self-centered ego gratification. Sing it as if you are standing before a row of 86-year-old WWII vets wearing their Purple Hearts, Silver Stars and flag pins on their cardigans and you want them to be proud of you for honoring them and the country they love ? not because you want them to think you are a superstar musician. They could see that from the costumes, the makeup and the entourages. Sing "The Star Spangled Banner" with the courtesy and humility that tells the audience that it is about America , not you."

*Unknown author..

Replies

I thought I was the only person who felt that way! You are exactly right birdfan!

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Tue, Feb 7, 2012, at 8:23 AM

Agreed 1000% percent!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Feb 7, 2012, at 8:29 AM

Just my opinion, the anthem at this year's Super Bowl was outstanding.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Tue, Feb 7, 2012, at 9:31 AM

I thought the anthem was well done this year also, captain awesome. Kelly Clarkson did a nice job.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Tue, Feb 7, 2012, at 10:28 AM

Why is it sung at sporting events anyway?

Pretty stupid tradition.

I'm sure that will sit well with all you patriots.

-- Posted by Rufus R. Jones on Tue, Feb 7, 2012, at 10:50 AM

Agreed; there are "thousands" of songs performers can "show what they can do" without abusing the Nat'l Anthem. What's next, "jazzing" up "Taps" at funerals?

-- Posted by semo7178 on Tue, Feb 7, 2012, at 11:26 AM

It's sung at sporting events so we can carry on this nationwide tradition, oops, I mean epidemic of morons who wake up every morning and make it their mission in life to FIND SOMETHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT!

-- Posted by GSP on Tue, Feb 7, 2012, at 11:46 AM

And for the record I agree with birdfan.

-- Posted by GSP on Tue, Feb 7, 2012, at 11:47 AM

Rufus....you are completely entitled to your opinion regarding this subject. And, with that, you are completely entitled to be wrong.

From my short research, the best I can tell is that the song is performed to show respect to our military and allow for those of us who are thankful to be living in this country a chance to show gratitude to the military (including veterans). Of course, you have the option of not standing or not holding your hand over your heart....it's a free country (provided by the ones you choose not to show proper respect and gratitude).

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Feb 7, 2012, at 3:01 PM

Which of our military conflicts have won me the right to have an opinion? For example, which of my rights do the drone strikes in Afghanistan guarantee? The Panama invasion in 1983?

I know too much about history to think that blind patriotism is a good thing. Sorry.

-- Posted by Rufus R. Jones on Wed, Feb 8, 2012, at 7:51 AM

*check that...I meant the Grenada invasion in 1983, Panama was in 1990.

-- Posted by Rufus R. Jones on Wed, Feb 8, 2012, at 7:52 AM

I must have been taught bad history. I thought our country began earlier than 1983. Guess not. Thanks for clearing that up, Rufus.

I don't agree with 100% the military does. However, I do support the men and women fighting for our country. However, you have the right to feel as you wish and our military will fight to allow you disagree with them. Ironic isn't it???

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Feb 8, 2012, at 8:14 AM

Do us all a favor Rufus and leave.

-- Posted by gerardo on Wed, Feb 8, 2012, at 8:19 AM

Ignorance p*sses me off. sorry

-- Posted by gerardo on Wed, Feb 8, 2012, at 8:20 AM

I just feel sorry for you.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Feb 8, 2012, at 8:23 AM

I don't think it's ignorance that has you ****** off. I think it is someone disagreeing with you.

-- Posted by Rufus R. Jones on Wed, Feb 8, 2012, at 12:26 PM

Oh snap, we didn't ever declare independence from Great Britain? We weren't involved in defending our country in two World Wars? Yea, it's definitely ignorance.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Wed, Feb 8, 2012, at 2:07 PM

And, spare us with all the military conflicts you don't disagree with. There are definitely a few of those that we all disagree with. Vietnam would be an example. That doesn't mean that you should disrespect the military. Standing up during the anthem does not mean you agree with every military conflict we have ever had. It means you honor those who have fought and sacrificed for your country to be what it is today - FREE.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Wed, Feb 8, 2012, at 2:11 PM

Try again Rufus - Panama was 1989

-- Posted by The Fan on Wed, Feb 8, 2012, at 4:41 PM

Just some food for thought here...I'm not agreeing or disagreeing ...

Why do we sing it at SPORTING EVENTS? Why not before each work day? Or when we go out to eat? Sporting events just seem a little bit random.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Feb 8, 2012, at 5:08 PM

It's not really that random. During WWII partiotism was growing and baseball was growing. They started singing it at baseball games to show support for the troops. Then it just kind of became a ritual and stuck. We don't do it at work or restaurants because sporting events are public venues. You don't have to participate since it is a public event, as I'm sure Dufus Jones does.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Feb 8, 2012, at 5:21 PM

I ment to add it spread to other sports as well, as we all know. It spread during that same time.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Feb 8, 2012, at 5:24 PM

Buck, I like how you made fun of my name. That was clever, and well thought-out. Guess that's what I get for posting my progressive views on a forum such as this. What's next, you gonna take my lunch money?

-- Posted by Rufus R. Jones on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 9:01 AM

I guess you really hated the Jimi Hendrix version as well?

-- Posted by jswonger on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 10:20 AM

ruffies i think its hilarious that you would be dense enough to consider your comments as progressive.

-- Posted by GSP on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 11:26 AM

jswonger....your comment wasn't directed at anyone particular, so I will answer. I didn't particulary care for it, but that's my opinion. It was a "good" music piece, but, in my opinion, I just like the song should be played or sung in the fashion in which it was written. Other than that, I like some of his music.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 11:42 AM

Oh Rufus I'm sorry, I didn't even know what you were talking about, I had to go back and look. My bad man no harm intended, simple spelling error. The D and R are close on the key board ya know.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 12:03 PM

Also besides the name thing, in all seriousness. Why don't you like the anthem, besides the conflicts in other countries thing. Because at first you said it was stupid, so I was just wondering why you believe that. You have the right to believe whatever you want, and yes it is just a tradition as you stated, whether it's stupid or not is up to you. So why do you believe that!? Just simply wondering, I like looking at others view points and other people on here might understand your views better if you explain them.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 12:08 PM

Rufus,

You need to leave the US and go live in another country for a few months... and when you return you will be glad to stand and sing the National Anthem. Many people have sacrificed much so that you can show your ignorance.

-- Posted by MZ100 on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 1:33 PM

While you are trying to live the dream someone is trying to defend it and you think it's a stupid tradition to honor them before a basketball game, or any sport for that matter?

-- Posted by mz259 on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 1:52 PM

Thanks for the invitation to leave. But I can't just yet. We still have a few schools to infiltrate and young minds to mold. Probably those of your family members. We want to take everything you've ever worked for.

-- Posted by Rufus R. Jones on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 2:10 PM

Interesting story on the national anthem, interpret it how you will. Mitt Romney recently said, "we (Americans) are the only people on Earth that put our hand over our heart during the playing of the National Anthem." shhhh please nobody tell Japan, china, brazil, Cuba, France, south Africa, Ghana, Mexico, Peru or the numerous other countries that put their hands over their hearts when their national anthem is played!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Feb 9, 2012, at 2:17 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.