Charleston 65 Mt. Vernon 53

Hogan Prep 72 Lutheran North 64

Replies (140)

My tentative championship picks...

Drexel over SCC

Salisbury over Billings

Hogan Prep over Charleston

-- Posted by nimbus on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 9:42 AM
  • No love for Hayti? They are playing great right now. I could see them winning it all.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 10:06 AM
  • Hogan prep over charleston.

Scc over the field.

Hayti and Salisbury will be a toss up.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 10:08 AM

Hayti would have no chance against Salisbury.

-- Posted by nimbus on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 11:10 AM
  • Nice to see nimbus keeping the SEMO faith! Frankly none of us truely know how good any of those other teams are except for Hogan which is a good team.

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 1:12 PM

I live in Columbia. I know exactly how good Salisbury is!

-- Posted by nimbus on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 1:27 PM

I say SCC vs Drexel in the finals with Drexel winning. In Class 2, I think it will be Salisbury vs Billings with Salisbury winning. Finally, I think it will be Lutheran North vs Charleston in the Finals of Class 3. No clue on who will win.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 1:44 PM

For SCC to win, they have to do a better job of getting games in their tempo. None of the other teams left in Class 1 want to run.

-- Posted by nimbus on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 1:49 PM
  • Nimbus what does Salisbury have? Hayti has size, quickness, depth, and they have shot extremely well in the playoffs. I don't care who they play up there they won't have more talent than Hayti in my opinion. And I just don't k ow anything about Drexel but they must also be very good for people to be picking them over scc.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 2:03 PM
  • From what I've heard Drexel has some BIG guys and not just one I believe 5-6 of them so scc gonna have to run and gun against them and tire them down to win but hey Glasgow isn't to bad either so scc gota beat them first to even lplay in the championship game so good luck to all 3 semo schools going to state and let's bring home the hardware!!!

-- Posted by B-ball-fan on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 2:09 PM

They have 3 players in the 6-5 to 6-6 range and they shoot the ball very well. They are athletic and wear teams down with their trap. The blew out a VERY athletic Columbia Douglas team, 80-58, in the district semis. They beat Sturgeon by 10 in the district championship game. Sturgeon beat SCC 73-62. They are mostly juniors. 6-6 junior Austin Francis is getting some D1 looks as a quarterback and is starting draw some interest in basketball.

-- Posted by nimbus on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 2:14 PM
  • -- Posted by nimbus on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 2:40 PM
  • you would think that people would have learned by now that you never say never when it comes to playoff basketball. i know salisbury is loaded but its also the same team that lost to a sub .500 new bloomfield in the quarterfinals last year. i dont think hayti will win it but it will be interesting because none of the teams will be able to match their speed and athleticism.

-- Posted by GSP on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 3:04 PM
  • Billings will be a tough draw for Hayti in the first round. Billings has 6 guys that can put the ball in the hole from anywhere on the floor, but they do not play a lick of defense. If Hayti can keep it a low scoring game and play defense like they have the past few weeks then they have a chance, but I don't think Hayti can outscore them if it is high scoring game, Billings has too much fire power.

-- Posted by Dr. Basketball on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 3:32 PM
  • That's good info nimbus. Wow I didn't know Salisbury was so tough. Sounds like Hayti drew a tough first round game also. I do agree Hayti can not win a shoot out. They haven't played a high scoring team during this run. Pville was a slow it down type of team after they lost tevin walker. Holcomb played a very slow style with Massey in the middle. And Thayer is always a very slow it down type of team. Oran really only had one scorer. So Hayti will have to play d.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 4:36 PM
  • I say:

Scott County over Glsgow by 8

Billings over Hayti by 5 (This could go Either Way)

Charleston over Mt. Vernon by 7

Lutheran North over Hogan Prep by 4

Scott County has the best chance to win it all. Defense is Key.

Hayti - I really do not know. I say they'll finish second or third.

Charleston- I believe will play Lutheran North for 1st. Lutheran North beat Ritter. They have to be loaded. I believe Charleston will place Second.

-- Posted by UFO on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 5:48 PM

I don't get why you make margin predictions when you know zero on most of these teams UFO. Just like you thought Crystal City peaked too early.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 5:54 PM
  • Nimbus sturgeon is class2 so Drexel didn't play them for district

-- Posted by B-ball-fan on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 6:13 PM
  • My bad nimbus wrong comment sorry

-- Posted by B-ball-fan on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 6:14 PM
  • i dont get that either sideline. i also dont get this idea of a team peaking to early. to me, instead of peaking these teams are inconsistent or maybe playing over their head, which does happen.

-- Posted by GSP on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 6:23 PM
  • Sideline,

You are correct. I do not know that much about the other teams. I sincerely hope we bring back "3" 1st. However, I doubt we will.

These are merely guesses. I have read about a few of these teams, mainly Lutheran North and Hogan Prep.

Crystal City Peaking Too Early was really just a joke.

"Joke" is defined as: "Something said or done to evoke amusement".

Good luck with your Predictions/Guesses.

Cheers

-- Posted by UFO on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 6:48 PM
  • P.S. "Post Script"

Sideline,

Your comments and Replies are always very "Amusing".

Thanks

-- Posted by UFO on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 6:57 PM
  • UFO...You have alot of gaul. Don't you know the Lord of Semoball has spoken. You have a right to your opinions but don't be so audacious as to post them here. These forums are reserved for incredibly smart individuals like sideline starter. I'm not sure you're aware of his high stature here in Semoball land. He has the "OFFICIAL" Top Ten. You know zero about most of those teams but he spends hours and hours researching SEMO teams. He is all knowing. Praise him!

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 8:59 PM
  • PMS for guys = sport forums

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 9:18 PM

Ronnie, that's the first intelligent post I think I may have ever seen you make.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 9:20 PM
  • Lol this whole thread is cracking me up ! I love it !! I'm not making predictions cause my teams always lose but I'm rooting for the 3 SEMO teams !!

-- Posted by jpaawhite on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 9:27 PM
  • In order to save the General Public from reading any "Faulty Predictions", "SideLine Starter" would like everyone to observe and comply with the following "Notes".

*Note 1) Unless you have Created Your Own "Top Ten" list, "Know" more than every teams coach or can "Guarantee" your Outcomes, Please do not Post your Predictions.

**Note 2) When in Question Refer to Note 1.

Cheers

-- Posted by UFO on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 9:36 PM
  • ** Note 3) If you are a "Blood Relative" of Nostradamus and have the "Documentation" to Prove it, You are officially Exempt from Note 1).

Cheers

-- Posted by UFO on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 9:54 PM

Ever notice I never get on people like nimbus, Preacher Man Fan, GSP, semohoops, Dr. Basketball, even Scott1130 who a lot of people like to rag on? Because they know what they are talking about and can discuss a team/game/class without needing to make a relation to their own team to do it. I may not always agree with them but we can discuss and debate intelligently our points of view and respect the opinion of each other. If you don't know what you are talking about, don't act like you do and I won't call you out. Ronnie and his alter ego struggle with that concept.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 10:05 PM
  • SCC over Drexel

Salisbury over Billings

Charleston over Hogan Prep

These are my winners. Surprised me when Billings beat Norwood. They won't have a answer for Salisbury. Yes, New Bloomfield beat them last year but this is a deeper and more experienced team. Sophomores last year.

Charleston has to flip the switch on and leave it on until they get the gold ball. Playing up and down isn't going to win it. They will have to find their early season form.

-- Posted by country-dude on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 10:31 PM
  • Country Dude,

I do not believe you made Sideline Starters "Prediction Worthy List".

Apparently, You now are in danger of being "Called Out".

For Goodness Sake I hope he doesn't "Get On You".

Cheers

-- Posted by UFO on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 10:47 PM
  • Note 4) If you don't go by the handle's of: Nimbus, Preacher Man Fan, GSP, semohoops, Dr. Basketball, AlbertEinstein (I added this one) or "Even" Scott1130 who "Everyone Rags On", For Goodness Sake: Don't Make any Faulty Predictions.

-- Posted by UFO on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 10:59 PM
  • Note 5)

For the Remaining 98% of the People that "Sideline" did not name, but who fail to give a Frog's Fat Butt who Sideline Starter is or What his Opinions are, Post Whatever You Like!

-- Posted by UFO on Sun, Mar 11, 2012, at 11:33 PM
  • freedom with any hs sport esp basketball we are talking about 10+ variables all of these teams have done something great in the last 5 games next games gets tougher who comes to play adjust and makes tons of breaks at the right time like many team sports do good luck to all congrats

bb is a great game freedom

-- Posted by weslc61 on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 7:03 AM

I think the best will come out of the Jays this week. Keep in mind, they were a FREE THROW AWAY last year, nearly beating Hogan Prep.

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 8:14 AM

UFO- I think you are being a little hard on Sideline. I've been on this board now for going on over 2 years and one thing I can say about Sideline is he will not make a statement about a team, player, coach, or poster that he does not truly believe to be accurate or an educated opinion. One thing about him, he may support the Sikeston Bulldogs, but he keeps up with just about all the teams in Semo, so he does know a little of what he is talking about! I'm not saying he is always correct, because no one is always right, but he does make educated predictions, and has an educated opinion on things.

I don't agree sometime with him, but I respect his opinion. Trust me, I had my run in with all the Sikeston bunch when I first started on this board, and even got a little heated with me and the Rockets, but in the end, they are all good guys who feel strongly about Semo sports, just like yourself and Ronnie. Everyone will have different opinions on how things will turn out, who the best is, etc... All I'm saying is see both sides of the argument sometimes, not just yours. No reason to lose sleep over Semoball

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 8:49 AM
  • I sit in amazement at how easily people can become flustered over what is said on this site.

-- Posted by GSP on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 8:59 AM
  • Cheesehead,

I'm sure ole Sidline is a "Swell" guy/girl. Just trying to "Humor" everyone while pointing out his "Errant Ways".

We are all SEMO basketball fans and enjoy following the teams. This alone "Qualifies" us all to post comments, whether their "Educated" or "Seat of the Pants".

I must say: The "Nostradamus" analogy evoked sheer "Amusement". ...from me.

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 9:38 AM

I respect the educated. I find those who just throw out guesses and try to act like they know something to be useless.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 9:44 AM

Also, I appreciate the kind words Cheese. Sorry I'm going to have to beat you in the bracket challenge. Hah.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 9:45 AM
  • Hello to all, I have enjoyed reading these comments and couldn't help but join in to ask a question of nimbus.

In a previous post "MEADVILLE GOES DOWN" you stated that they had lost, no big suprize, because of their week schedule.

Yet in this post you have SCC over Glasgow by 1?

Meadville beat Glasgow by 5 earlier this year, so it would appear your prediction is going to be way off, or some of these NOMO teams are better than they get credit for.

-- Posted by NOMOball on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:34 AM
  • Unlike sideline, I respect all opinions out here...every single one especially if I disagree. I may try to change an opinion if its cotrary to mine but I will never imply someone is uneducated just because they have another opinion. I may tell them they're wrong which is really just another opinion. Sideline is an arrogant person who thinks he's all knowing when it comes to basketball. He has no more knowledge of the game as far as I know than anyone else out here. He's bearcat with better typing skills in my book.

Also sideline I have no alter ego. You know exactly who I am, or maybe you don't since you think all uneducated posts are "useless".

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:43 AM
  • It hurts me sideline that u find me useless. Sob!!! Hahaha!!

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:43 AM
  • Northern Missouri has Basketball????

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:44 AM

NOMO ...everything with a grain of salt. Not everyone on this site is.....well...you know.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:48 AM

TFA, you don't pretend to know things that you don't. That's the difference. Don't know what AAU is? You ask. You don't throw out asinine thoughts based off of no knowledge for no reason. You talk what you know and ask where you're curious. That's not a problem at all.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:49 AM
  • They sure do UFO, and some of these NOMO teams are still playing......is yours?

-- Posted by NOMOball on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:50 AM
  • Is this "Survivor". Are we suppose to "Brown Nose" each other in order to create "Alliances"?

NOMO,

Just Kidding.

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:53 AM
  • Don't drink the kool-aid UFO!...LOL

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:55 AM
  • I know sideline I was messing with you. I have no clue about other teams unless we happen to play them.?

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:55 AM
  • You guys are making me laugh at work and ppl are beginning to stare.

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:57 AM
  • Two Questions:

Who's got the Kool Aid?

and

When is "Tribal Council"?

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 11:14 AM

NOMOball

I clearly referenced Meadville's schedule in comparison to Marion County's.

"Okay. Not much of a surprise. They were undefeated with a weak schedule and Marion County had one loss with a tougher schedule."

So, good luck trolling with some other comment or user.

-- Posted by nimbus on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 11:54 AM
  • I just asked an honest question about your predictions, don't know too much about trolling.

-- Posted by NOMOball on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 12:21 PM
  • NOMO,

"Trolling" is Code for: Fishing for Compliments for your favorite team or conference.

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 2:18 PM
  • Hmmmm. I did not know that. I am now crowning myself as King of the Trolls!

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 2:36 PM
  • Thanks for the tip UFO, I'll try to keep my "trolling" to a minimum.

-- Posted by NOMOball on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 2:57 PM
  • NOMO,

I lived in Quincy, Illinois for a couple years, so I am familiar with the Palmyra and Monroe City's.

What area are you from?

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 3:10 PM
  • Over west in the Salisbury, Glasgow, Meadville part of the state.

-- Posted by NOMOball on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 3:23 PM
  • Wow... I just wonder which one of you girls will take their ball and go home? I mean, wow you ladies are sensitive.

It is a good laugh!

Can I troll for a compliment?

-- Posted by straightswaggin on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 3:30 PM
  • He He!

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 3:43 PM
  • I didn't realize we were being sensitive. It may take me a little while to get used to some of this SEMO jargon, but I thought UFO and myself were getting along splendidly.

-- Posted by NOMOball on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 3:48 PM
  • Hey, I'm a female and I resent that comment!!

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 3:50 PM
  • Straightswaggin,

Your right. It is a good laugh.

By the way, I believe, sideline, left at 2:00 for a "Tupperware" party.

He/She usually pops back on after "Desperate Housewives of NYC".

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 3:59 PM

Nahh. Just had "work" to do. Some of us have "careers" to work on and "money" to earn. Novel concept, I know.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 4:48 PM

WEEEEE

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 5:01 PM

"pure adrenaline"

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 5:50 PM
  • Glad to hear today was a success.

I heard "Ergonomic Food Management Systems" were making a comeback.

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 6:15 PM

Congratulations to them.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 6:19 PM
  • Jerry jerry jerry .............. this is like a Tri-County Conference game !!!

-- Posted by jpaawhite on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 6:27 PM

I love this... All year I have thought of a few fans in this "SEMOBALL WORLD" as "KNOW IT ALLS"!

It isn't just sideline either, it's almost every person who cheers on Sikeston, ND, Charleston and Cape. It's like you all think you're the only schools around here and the best thing since sliced bread.

I mean really OFFICIAL SEMOBALL TOP 10, how much do you get paid for this OFFICIAL SEMOBALL TOP 10?

How many sponsors does SEMOBALL have because of your amazing poll? Is it because you spend more time on here than anyone else? Is it because you once watched the bulldogs play that you feel (I KNOW THEM BEST)? If most of you would stop acting like you're the only people with an opinion that matters, this place might be more fun to just talk sports with normal people!

Now, I don't agree with UFO or RONNIE on most anything since they are so far up Scott City's butt, but I think they nailed this one! Most the time the stuff that you all post is like you are "trolling" Anyone, Anyone, Please talk to me and agree!!!! Oh, Ronnie before you ask, NO i don't want to meet up and talk man to man about any disagreement!

Finally, I think someone should start a thread about semoball posters.

Thread Topic: Which Semoball poster drives you nuts? Now that would be a fun thread to read!

Just had to add my spin on this as an outsider

-- Posted by Mac N' Cheese on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 7:12 PM
  • I feel like Osceola has been disrespected in this conversation. Osceola has become hot lately and their previous losses have been without their senior ball handler Timmy Powell. I believe this game will be a lot closer than expected and and upset may be in place. But upsets are the way they like it because they have been doing it since districts.

SCC will only win if and only if Eric Moles can be shut down. The beast of a man is a powerhouse at center but is very slow. Drexel i see winning state and taking home the hardware.

-- Posted by bamapride4vr on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 7:19 PM
  • Thank u bamapride I almost forgot what this post was about. Even tho parts were funny I'm thinking not so much anymore

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 7:32 PM
  • Can't we just all get along? (to quote Rodney King)

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 8:35 PM
  • a few years ago osceola had a really good player, stefan garrison.

-- Posted by GSP on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 8:41 PM

Can't we just all get a Long Island Iced Tea? (to quote several comedians)

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 8:41 PM
  • NoMo,

Scott County Central does not have good height this year, but they are very athletic and can score in loads. I do not know how Glasgow plays, but they will have their hands full.

Our Class 2 team is Hayti. I really do not know much about them. I believe they came on strong at the end of the season and defeated our top ranked Class 2 team, Portageville.

Best of luck to your teams!

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 8:47 PM
  • @Doby A few Long Island Ice Teas apiece and we won't know who won next weekend much less care

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 8:55 PM
  • On the Bluejays' chances: I did the math---20 FF appearances in the last 32 years. 10 state championships---which means we win a state championship 50% of the time we make it to state.

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 9:04 PM
  • We didn't get one with last year's trip, so I like our chances

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 9:05 PM
  • That should be 20 FF in the last 37 years---my math was off

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 9:06 PM
  • Yeah Stefan now play for Truman State. This year we hav 2 twin towers that are 2 6'6 centers with 2 freshman guards that can light it up anywhere I can't wait 2 see the outcome Thursday.

-- Posted by bamapride4vr on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 9:16 PM
  • SCC is making it's 18 appearance in 36 years, they are 15 of 17 so far, so that is %88 win percentage. I think Charleston is the only boys team that has made more final 4's.

-- Posted by igobybob on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 9:26 PM
  • Bama Pride,

Eric Moles, the beast of a Man, had better spend plenty of time loosening up and bring a good pair of Running Shoes. If he's too slow, he'll get passed going up the floor and passed going down.

Scott County may not be big, but they sure can run!

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 9:32 PM
  • Yeah I've heard SCC is quick but Mr.moles is a football linebacker playing basketball strong powerful & can shoot high post also he's got a good supporting cast with his team but it will b speed vs. Power. Which power is what WEMO basketball is all about.

-- Posted by bamapride4vr on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 9:36 PM
  • Bama,

It's rumored that a Scott County Player once scored a basket, got popcorn for his mama, and stole the ball from the opposing guard at half court on consecutive plays.

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 9:37 PM
  • Bama,

Does Moles play for Glasgow or Drexel?

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 9:43 PM
  • Haha that is legit I did mess that name up. Eric Moles plays for Adrian. Drexel has Cooley and Shipley as a dynamic duo that is tough to beat. Osceola still had their Timmy Powell out, so they beat Osceola by 10. SCC Drexel will b a great game 2 see

-- Posted by bamapride4vr on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 9:47 PM
  • They also have Blake seba who went off on Osceola draining 3 3's to pull away he also must be shut down.

-- Posted by bamapride4vr on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 9:49 PM
  • Sounds like SCC and Drexel should be a great game if they both advance.

Hope they do. I plan on watching the games on Fox midwest, like last weekends games.

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:00 PM
  • Be sure to watch Osceola's Cinderella dance 2 continue some the school is havin Salisbury steak for lunch Thursday in memory of the panthers. Good luck 2 SCC

-- Posted by bamapride4vr on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:04 PM
  • Thanks UFO, best of luck to you too.

As for you scott1130 I do not know why you are so rude? Have I offended you?

Are you upset because there are some armpit teams in the final four?

I don't understand the animosity, but I'm new here, maybe you can explain.

-- Posted by NOMOball on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:19 PM
  • I will. Do you believe Osceola can beat Salisbury?

Have you played them or a common opponent?

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:20 PM
  • I am from Osceola the way we are playing right now is simply amazing. We beat Santa fe & dekalb both top 10 teams according to maxpreps.com & we beat them by 10+ points. Even if we can't pull out the win it will be a lot closer than 16 points.

-- Posted by bamapride4vr on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:26 PM
  • NOMO,

We have our share of "Know it Alls" that really enjoy being rude to others.

That is why I spent such time today giving them Grief.

It really comes down to: Some people in this world are not happy unless the rest of us are Unhappy.

With that being said, this is a great time of the year for high school and college basketball and I'm gonna enjoy watching the kids play!

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:27 PM
  • I just had to represent for the 2 WEMO schools in the final fours

-- Posted by bamapride4vr on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:30 PM
  • I am now rooting for Osceola to beat Salisbury.

Go Osceola!

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:30 PM
  • By the Way, who are your top two or three players?

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:32 PM
  • That's what we like to hear

-- Posted by bamapride4vr on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:33 PM
  • We have the twin towers with Jared & Jordan Pearson who average 18 points a game. Timmy Powell a senior ball handler who was a D1 prospect b4 he tore his ACL n football last year and 2 freshman that are dannnnng good

-- Posted by bamapride4vr on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:35 PM
  • Sounds Great,

Now, I'll know who to watch. It's funny, but, I lived in Quincy, Illinois in 1997-1998 and they had their small school state playoffs on T.V. way back then.

I believe, they just recently started broadcasting our Missouri State Finals.

It may have been a local station, but I enjoyed the heck out of it. I remember rooting for teams I never heard of.

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:45 PM
  • Yeah I'm going 2 the games I can't wait 2 see Hayti. Osceola is a very "white" town & Hayti looked intense. Osceola will b here for a while so we startin off with a bang

-- Posted by bamapride4vr on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 10:51 PM
  • Yeah,

I have not seen Hayti play this year. My guess is their also an athletic team with plenty of speed. They played in the bootheel of Missouri which is traditionally loaded with quality teams. They may have more losses than some other teams at State, but my guess is they mainly came from larger schools.

Several of our best SEMO teams play an up tempo game.

Charleston and Scott County are two of our area's top programs year in and year out. They are very fun to watch, but normally not fun to play against.

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 11:11 PM
  • Yeah that's how we've made our run with speed n our guards & bench but with the ability 2 slow it down & post up n our posts.

-- Posted by bamapride4vr on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 11:14 PM
  • Scott County lost their All State Forward "Otto Porter" to graduation. He is now playing for Georgetown and doing a great job as a true freshmen.

Man, was he fun to watch. 6'7" forward with "buttery soft" hands. He was as smooth as it gets and played some mean D on top of that.

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 11:21 PM
  • I am now spiked for Thursday SCC Drexel Osceola and the always great school of Hogan Prep.

-- Posted by bamapride4vr on Mon, Mar 12, 2012, at 11:33 PM
  • Ok,

I made up the "Popcorn" story.

-- Posted by UFO on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 9:50 AM

Bamapride, UFO literally knows nothing about Hayti. There he goes guessing again on how they play and who they've lost to without anything to back it up. And he wonders why I call him out on this stuff. Spouting off on teams he knows zero about and trying to seem like he's being helpful.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 10:24 AM
  • I believe "Sideline's Tupperware Party" story may be true.

-- Posted by UFO on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 10:27 AM

What's a Tupperware Party? Also, why do you put all of your key words in quotes? There's no need for it.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 10:30 AM

Also, how come every time I mention you are spouting off on something you don't know and actually provide false information in the guise of being helpful, you try to change the subject? If you didn't do it to begin with, I wouldn't say anything.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 10:31 AM
  • "The Hayti Indians are Known for Being an Athletic Team that Crashes the Boards."

Standard Democrat Newspaper, 3-12-12.

Sideline,

You are more than welcome to give "BamaPride" your own "Synopsis" of Hayti.

This would allow you the opportunity to try and gain additional "Respect", from your "Peers".

-- Posted by UFO on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 11:09 AM
  • P.S. (Post Script)

Synopsis (definition): A brief or condensed statement giving your general view.

Condensed (definition): To shorten

-- Posted by UFO on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 11:11 AM

"They may have more losses than some other teams at State, but my guess is they mainly came from larger schools." Hayti is 21-9. Of those nine losses, only three came from larger schools, two from Kennett and one from Caruthersville. The Indians went on to avenge those losses in back-to-back games at the Bootheel Conference tourney. They've also lost to Portageville, Bernie, Holcomb twice (all in their class), as well as Class 1 Gideon and Risco. The reason their record is not spotless is because they did not know their best personnel early on in the season, not because they played big schools like you guessed. They started off 6-7 but are 15-2 since January 17. That took a little knowledge and two minutes of research to find. No guesses. Again, if you would just do that instead of guess, I wouldn't call you out.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 11:24 AM
  • And they decided to give consistent effort.

-- Posted by GSP on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 11:32 AM

I just want to say that i saw Mcluer North play for the class 5 title and i really believe the Jays can beat them, ijs. I wasnt impressed, because Hillcrest doesn't play defense like Charleston, so that's what would work in our favor. It a safe bet to say that when i played on the 96 Jays state team, we could've won the 4a title too, and i know we would've got alot of votes. People say class 5 teams are better only because they're class 5, that's it.

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 11:34 AM
  • Sideline,

Now, wasn't that much better than complaining.

I do not know if you realize this, but no one, and I mean NO ONE is concerned about you "Calling them Out". It means nothing to us.

Therefore, instead of complaining, SIMPLY STATE YOUR VIEW.

This is how mature human beings behave.

By the way, Thank you for your Synopsis.

-- Posted by UFO on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 11:42 AM

Mature human beings realize when they are wrong. They also don't try to stoop to trying insults related to "Tupperware Parties" and such trying to attack the masculinity of another poster. But, I don't think there is anything you haven't been wrong about on the board this week. I do not care if you don't care when I let you know you are wrong. I'm not just going to let idiocy go unchecked. I want this site to be a credible source to a degree for fans of the area to know about each other's team and for out of area fans to know about area teams. When you just guess on how a team is that you know nothing about and haven't seen and try to pass it off as educated opinion or fact, that doesn't help any credibility.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 11:59 AM
  • Hey LU, Hillcrest didn't play McCluer North this past weekend, so how does their defensive effort even come to validate your claim that Charleston could beat McCluer North? Hillcrest is class 4 and played Soldan. McCluer North is class 5 and played Nixa.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 12:27 PM
  • Sideways/Sideline,

This is an open forum.

It really doesn't matter what YOU want. What you WANT is completely irrelevant to the Forum.

Everyone is welcome to participate, HOWEVER, they see fit. You get no REWARD for "Calling People Out" or even knowing more.

This is created for people with similar interest to discuss and read about their favorite teams.

If someone is incorrect about something, it is OK. There is absolutely NO USE in BELITTLING their opinions or views.

Simply "State Your Opinion" and save us all the "I am right" and "Your Wrong" comments. It is tiresome.

In addition, No One wants to hear it.

-- Posted by UFO on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 12:34 PM

No one wants to hear people say incorrect things. If I said Scott City is no good because they have no scorers and seemed to be sophomore heavy, you would be all over it trying to correct the person.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 12:41 PM

YOUR RIGHT SMO723, MCLUER DID PLAY NIXA...BACK TO THE POINT, I WAS NOT IMPRESSED WITH THE STARS. HILLCREST ONLY THE FOOTBALL STAR BECKHAM, OTHER THAN THAT, THEY ARE TERRIBLE, THE GAME WAS OVER IN THE FIRST QUARTER. SOLDAN IS DECENT, MAYBE THEY PLAYED DOWN TO HILLCRESTS LEVEL AND WAS ONLY WAITING ON SIKESTON. NIXA WAS DOWN 16 AND CAME BACK IN A FLASH. I JUST THINK ALL FOUR TEAMS HAVENT HAD IN YOUR FACE D LIKE THE JAYS, WE CAN BEAT THEM. SMALL SCHOOLS GIT NO VE IT SEEMS. I LIKE THAT THEY TELEVISED BOTH GAMES AND I WAS ONLY 20 MINUTES AWAY.

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 12:52 PM

I wonder would Mcluer play Charleston in the Cape Shoot Out or regular season, add Soldan too. The Beckham kid from Hillcrest however, will be in the NFL.

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 12:56 PM
  • Future Example:

"I believe,SC should be led by 4 Seniors next year and will be missing some big scorers, however, should adapt well as the season Progresses."

In this example, I simply "Stated My Opinion". There was no need to "Confront" anyone or tell them, "They're Wrong" and "I'm Right".

This type of activity is suffice and allows everyone to "State their Opinion".

-- Posted by UFO on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 1:09 PM

You know about Scott City though. If you said that about, say, Hayti, you'd just be making stuff up. Like you did earlier. That's the difference. I have no problem with you as a person.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 1:23 PM
  • I'm rooting for the Jays to win but i was not impressed with the way they looked against CC and they are no where near as good as Mcluer is. Nixa had a very good team and probably 4 of the guys on their team are going on to play college ball so i just don't see why you think Charleston would beat them other than being a die hard supporter. They would have had no answer for Grainger just like Nixa didn't.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 1:30 PM
  • Does anyone know what Salisbury's style of plays is? I dont care if it's opiniated or not just want to know how they play. I looked at the roster and they look very tall

-- Posted by bamapride4vr on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 1:32 PM

Scott1130, you said you might be watching some basketball in cape this week?

Thursday or Friday?

We have a group going Friday from 11 until about 3 or 4 hours of hoops...

-- Posted by Haterade on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 2:17 PM
  • I think all 3 semo teams have a shot to win it all. I'd really like to see Hayti win it.

-- Posted by gocvilletigers on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 7:25 PM

Beef O' Brady's

-- Posted by Haterade on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 7:45 PM

WE WILL NEVER KNOW, BUT TRUST, THEY WOULDNT HANDLE CHARLESTON WITH EASE....WHO YALL THINK WE ARE CHAFFEE...LOL..WE PLAYED DOWN TO CC LEVEL THAT'S ALL..IF WE HAD TO PLAY MCLUER NORTH IN CLASS 3, TRUST THAT IT WOULD BE A GAME...NO ONE HAS EVER HANDLE US WITH EASE...NOT BRONX, NY WHO WAS IN THE TOP 10 IN THE USA NOR PEORIA WHO ALSO WAS IN THE TOP 10 IN AMERICA....IJS...NO ONE HAS DONE THAT TO US. LOST TO BRONX BY 1 AND PEORIA BY 27, DOWN BY 11 AFTER 3.(5 SHOTS)

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 7:56 PM

LOST TO BRONX BY 1 IN '93 THEN BORGIA, PLAYED NON THEIR LEVEL...SAFE BET

BRONX-88

BORGIA-40

AT BORGIA

YOU CANT PLAY LIKE THAT I ADMIT, DOWN ON LEVELS

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 7:59 PM
  • Were not talking about 1993 if you want to talk about teams of the past then PB in 2005 was one of the best teams to ever come out of missouri we had to beat the #1 team in the nation just to win state. I don't get why you guys half to always bring up the past seasons. Good luck to the jays bring home the title!!!

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 9:00 PM

Yep, 1993 has a big effect on 2012. If it happened then, it has to happen now.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 9:05 PM

I think he's just trying to make a point that Charleston is never a push over, no matter the ranking of the team they play, and is using examples from the past to illustrate that point.

I'll give you an example...how many were saying Portageville didn't have a snow ball's chance in hades of beating Cardinal Ritter and they pulled it off. So, it's never a FACT unless the game is played, which it won't be, so it's simply a matter of opinion.

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 9:30 PM
  • Which is why my boys from Osceola makin the run beating Santa fe, Dekalb, Salisbury, then Hayti.

-- Posted by bamapride4vr on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 9:35 PM
  • Bama,

I'm rooting for Osceola over Salisbury, but after that. Hayti's my team.

Go Semo!

-- Posted by UFO on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 10:52 PM
  • Drexel sounds like the kind of team that has given SCC problems this year, but given the schedule they've played, no one is going to intimidate the Braves. Stewart and Porter have really elevated their games and SCC is playing their best basketball of the season. I like their chances of a four-peat because of their speed, defense and athleticism. Also, you have to have the guard play to beat SCC's withering full-court press. These factors will more than offset Drexel's size. I don't think SCC will have much trouble beating Glasgow. They beat Marion County 31-30 in the quarterfinals, and you won't beat the Braves scoring 31 points.

Hayti doesn't seem to be getting much love here, but anytime you're as hot as the Indians are, you always have a shot. That said, I agree it'll be tough for them to knock off a very talented Salisbury squad.

As for Charleston, I look for them to play Lutheran North for the Class 3 championship. If LN has the talent to beat Cardinal Ritter then they have the potential to beat Charleston. But in the end, I think the Jay's defense, speed, and athleticism will let them cut down the nets.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Mar 13, 2012, at 10:58 PM

I think Lutheran North has a fair chance to beat Hogan Prep, but they aren't a heavy favorite. They played a great game against Ritter, which was a one-dimensional team that did not hit the glass. But Lutheran North was just the 2 seed in its district, and its last two district games were in doubt until the end. They beat Whitfield on a last-second shot by Anthony Virdure and hit free throws down the stretch to beat top-seeded John Burroughs by 3 in the final.

Someone referred to them as "loaded," which would be a reasonable description in light of their victory over Ritter. But I wouldn't describe them that way. They are essentially a very solid team with one star player, Anthony Virdure. The other guys can play, to be sure, but Virdure usually makes them go.

I watched the replay of Hogan-Charleston in last year's semi and also some clips of Hogan from this year. Hogan is a little bigger than LN and might have a slight edge in overall quickness. LN has two very quick guys, Virdure and their PG, Holman. I haven't seen Charleston this year, but last year's team appeared to be a little quicker than Lutheran North. Of course, it's hard to say for sure until you see the teams on the same floor together.

Hogan also seems to have two guys, Mason and Newbill, who can create their own offense. Virdure is the only guy for LN who can do that consistently. On the other hand, LN has had a knack in its last few games of getting an unexpected lift from one of its other starters.

Elsberry slowed down Virdure Saturday by playing a zone and might have won the game, but LN had a kid knock down 4 3s in the second quarter. (He had just 7 all season before this game.) Virdure ended up with 16 points in the 61-51 victory and added 6 steals, 5 assists, and 7 rebounds.

Just looking at their scores from recent games, it appears that Hogan really has it rolling. My guess is that there will be some good up-and-down action similar to the play in the Hogan-Charleston semi. That would be mighty entertaining.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 7:42 AM

I'm getting ready to put this on mosports and thought it might be of interest to some on this site.

Many of you probably know this, but Lutheran North coach Brent Rueter is the brother of former SF Giants pitcher, Kirk Rueter. Kirk credits Brent with helping to develop the pinpoint control that was the bedrock of a solid Major League career by requiring him to hit extremely tiny targets when Brent caught him when they were kids.

When he was playing, Kirk would invite the visiting Giants to his "Shed," which is outside Nashville, Illinois, about 40 minutes from StL. The Shed has been described as a 4500 square feet mancave. (Giants writers described the get-togethers as a highlight of the Giants' social season. I think Rueter still has the Giants over when they are in StL.). Brent Rueter, the LN coach, used to attend some of these affairs. Probably has an interesting story or two about them.

The Shed has a workout room, video games, big TVs, pool tables, etc. It also has (or used to have) a lot of baseball and other sports memorabilia, including the wrist bands that Barry Bonds wore when he hit his 73rd homer and one of Dusty Baker's manager of the year trophies.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Wed, Mar 14, 2012, at 1:25 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: