Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Many basketball district hosts have been set for this upcoming season.............

Posted by gianthook on Tue, Oct 23, 2012, at 1:08 PM:

C1D1: Gideon

C1D2: Scott County Central

C1D3: Bunker

C2D1: Bloomfield

C2D2: Van Buren

C2D3: Bismarck

C2D4: Crystal City

C3D1: Malden

C3D2: West County

C3D3: Herculaneum

C4D1: Not selected (or not posted yet on MSHSAA)

C4D2: Park Hills Central

C4D3: DeSoto

C5D1: Oakville

Replies (77)

Thanks for posting this gianthook!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Oct 23, 2012, at 1:12 PM
  • Class 4 District 1 will be at Dexter this year.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Oct 23, 2012, at 1:36 PM
  • SCC is hosting the district this year? Has anyone from MSHAA ever been in their gym? It's way too small to accomodate the crowds. No disrespect to SCC because they have a great basketball program, but a bad decision for a host school.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Oct 23, 2012, at 3:00 PM

Gideon's gym is tiny as well! Also with all those windows, I don't see how you ever play or practice during the day with sun in your eyes the whole time.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 23, 2012, at 3:04 PM

It stinks for Poplar Bluff and Jackson in a way that Cape is out of their district. Since there were three SEMO teams and two STL teams, the SEMO teams always had control over where the district was so it was always in SEMO. Now that Cape is out and Oakville is in (the other two STL schools are Seckman and Northwest I think), the STL schools now have control so PB and Jackson are going to be traveling up there every year.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Oct 23, 2012, at 3:05 PM
  • I thought coaches in each district voted which gym to use. If thats the case, wouldnt they know not to vote for an inappropriate venue? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone .....?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Oct 23, 2012, at 3:47 PM
  • Preacher,

Did you know Risco hosted The Class 1 District 1 tournament last year? Had to be the biggest fire hazard in modern history. SCC's gym is large compared to that. Again that is no slight to Risco's program, but tiny facility.

-- Posted by No sir on Wed, Oct 24, 2012, at 9:39 AM
  • No Sir, you're right, I had forgotten that! IMO, districts should be hosted by a school with a large enough facility to accomodate the crowds even if it means moving it to a truly neutral site.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Oct 24, 2012, at 9:45 AM
  • SCC's relatively new gym is fine for Class 1. Most others schools that size are not any bigger.

-- Posted by semo ref on Wed, Oct 24, 2012, at 9:48 AM
  • Class 5 district was at Northwest in 2009 Pb in 2010, cape 2011 and Jackson 2012 so it should start back with one of the stl schools this year.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Oct 24, 2012, at 11:37 AM
  • Also Cape will be back in class 5 in a couple more years anyway.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Oct 24, 2012, at 11:39 AM
  • Gideon's gym is one of the biggest and nicest gyms in class 1.

-- Posted by BulldogPride on Thu, Nov 1, 2012, at 8:33 AM
  • FIRST time ever for SCC to have districts at their gym. I think it was way over due!

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 9:49 AM

Always gotta feel sorry for Class 1, District 3. Some of those schools are making 2+ hour trips.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 10:51 AM
  • I didn't think the district schools voted on the site. I thought any school was allowed to submit a request to host the district, with MSHSAA making the final decision. Has this changed?

-- Posted by semo7178 on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 11:29 AM
  • I have always understood that the district schools vote on the host site and that MSHSAA was there to settle any disputes.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 12:58 PM
  • Hey Rocket my son finds out if he makes the 9th grade team today u have any pull there? Joking u don't even know me or I you. I'm just hoping he loves bball. I told him its hard to make Sikeston team because there's so much talent.

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 1:02 PM

Good luck to him TFA. If he puts in the work (and you seem like the type who encourages it), I'm sure he'll get a slot.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 1:05 PM
  • Thanks Sideline, he plays everyday and is doing good at try outs is what he tells me. I played ball and so did his dad so he has the genes. Lol

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 1:09 PM
  • Plus he's keeping his grades up because otherwise he can't do sports I want him to keep that up

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 1:12 PM
  • Ha! Actually, TFA I am pretty good friends with the coaching staff (down to 7th grade). I hope he makes the team as he sounds like a very good kid. Good luck to him.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 1:16 PM
  • If you know who I am, please introduce yourself to me. I would love to meet you. I am always up for meeting other "crazy" Sikeston fans. LOL

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 1:17 PM
  • Thanks and no I don't know who anyone is on this site I may if I ever found out. I always wonder when I'm at a game who us who. It's lots of fun.

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 1:22 PM

I didn't know you had to make the Sikeston team! Now I see why they are so good just about every year lol. In Caruthersville, if you show up, your on the team. I guess that has to do with the size of your school some also. SIkeston probably has a ton of people try out.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 1:24 PM
  • Some tryout some dont have to. I'm thinking if u were on the team last year u pretty much on the team is what I'm learning but there's alot of 9th graders trying out I think some from 8th grade aren't playing this year

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 1:33 PM
  • So I should move to Caruthersville if he doesn't? That's a long drive to work. Lol

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 1:35 PM

Haha..You'd be smart to stay where your at IMO. Lot's of issue's here in Cville.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 1:36 PM
  • TFA....I think I may know who you are. I'm not for sure. Did you go to the first Sikeston-SCC game at the Show-Me Center? Were you and your family the first ones in line?

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 1:43 PM
  • Hey I did think about moving if he didn't make it to another school district but just can't do it. Lol! My nephew is in 8th grade the boy moved to Bell City with his dad so he could play last year. The kid is probably 5'11. Doing pretty good I hear

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 1:44 PM
  • Yes I went to that game and no wasn't first in line. We had to sit in nose bleed section. The only family is me and him. He's blonde if that helps any. Lol

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 1:46 PM
  • Yeah, that really helps TFA. Ha!

Well, I have you confused with someone else.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 1:49 PM
  • Large schools have to make cuts. Can't have 40 players on the roster lol. Now most of those tryouts out are in the junior high levels. It trickles down every year up to senior high, but cuts are still made on the varsity level, but not near as many. Just a handful. I have no idea how many try out at the other large schools.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 1:52 PM
  • I don't hang with a crowd at any games and none of my friends go to bball games so I usually sit by myself and he will sit with me because we talk ball but this year he's a bum so I will be in the stands talking to myself. Lol

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 1:53 PM

Thanks for the info semohoops. I'm just used to the small school way. Didn't know how the larger schools dealt with it.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 1:54 PM
  • Ha! Well, we usually have a pretty large group that hangs out at the games. I have heard through the grapevine that we will have an new "semoballer" join the Sikeston contingency this year.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 1:56 PM

Join the club TFA. I'm moving to Dudley in a few weeks so I won't be able to make a lot of Caruthersville games this year. I'll be going to some Sikeston games, Dexter games, and probably some Bernie games. Will be new to the area so I'll be soloing it most games lol.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 1:56 PM
  • Ha!! Cheese....did you see my post right above yours??? You can hang with us!! We take ALL bandwagon fans!! LOL

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:00 PM

Haha! Don't get it twisted Rocket! Cville will ALWAYS be my team lol. No bandwagon jumper here. I just enjoy good basketball and will root for all Semo teams. Now when Cville rolls into Sikeston in Jan, expect me to be sporting my Cville gear and cheering on my boys lol

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:03 PM
  • Rocket I'm pretty sure I know where your group sit I'm not that far away. Cheese moving to Dudley? That's pretty small place. Sorry I took over this thread but kinda nervous and my dog won't answer me back. Lol!

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:04 PM
  • Ha! I understand. At least you got the colors right....Red and Black!!!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:04 PM
  • Hey Rocket I bet it's He Hates Me isn't it?

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:06 PM

Well it's not in Dudley. It's in the country, it's just a Dudley address.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:07 PM

I'll just be 20 mins away from Sikeston so I'll be going to mostly their games the nights I can go. I'm sure I'll fit in just great with the Sikeston fans. I can get a little hyped up at bball games. Just ask beef!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:09 PM
  • TFA....I normally sit with a "lively" group...to say the least. When rocketsbro, sideline, I Hate AZ, brown baller (the latter 2 don't post much) and I get together....well.... There are others in our group that don't post, but join in our cheering section. Fatboy1972 normally sits in front of us too. Hoopsididitagain is normally close too.

Last year, down in Rector, rocketsbro gently tapped his hat on the bleacher in a quiet protest of a call and the CHEAP HAT broke right on the strap. LOLOLOL! Even sideline was there!!!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:10 PM
  • no just wait a sconend Bucko! i plans on goink to some sieknston game sthis year and i just would not just like to just like to sat with some of you Buckos. just whot wouldn; you be wearing TBA and racket679? i coulde shot some hoops back in the days a long whilk ago when i was a littler. could make the 3 easy prolly easeyer than most. football is my sport thought.

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:10 PM
  • Hey Cheesehead, it'll be good to have you in my neck of the woods! We'll convert you into a Bearcat instead of a Tiger! LOL! Really, look forward to watching some hoops with you at the Bearcat Event Center this season. We'll have to meet up at the first game. We have Charleston at home to open the season on Nov. 27.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:11 PM
  • Cheese...you will definitely fit in with us. LOL

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:12 PM
  • TFA....now that's funny!!! I don't think He Hate Me would even enter the Fieldhouse unless Charleston was playing.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:13 PM
  • I'm pretty sure I know the area but don't know who is who. Thinking there's some teachers in that group.

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:14 PM
  • bearcat...I will be the one wearing a red and black shirt with "Bulldogs" on it. I'll probably have some popcorn and a Diet Coke too.

In between the quarters, I will be practicing my gator arm tackling technique.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:14 PM
  • BTW, depending on how far out in the country you are moving to in Dudley, you'll be more like 45 minutes to an hour from Sikeston. Better just stop in Dexter or Bernie for hoops Cheese! Ha!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:15 PM

Definitely Preach! Would love to meet you. Going to be lots of good games this year. The one I'm really dying to see is Sikeston/MRH at Sikeston. That should be a heck of a game. Also the Bernie/Dexter games I heard is a good ole rivarly.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:15 PM
  • There are a few professional educators in the group. Can you believe they act like that??? Ha!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:16 PM

The way I drive Preach, 20-25 mins sounds about right lol

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:16 PM
  • That's what I'm talking about, Cheese!!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:17 PM
  • hardee har har racket689. whot just od you look like in cases i get to come to the a game? i do like poopcorn too and hoop you mite share a some Bucko. why does you make fun of my takcling teanique? it is affective and you would just not wanna me to use it on you Bucko.

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:17 PM
  • I know it's effective, that's why I am practicing it. I am training for the NFL combine next spring.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:19 PM
  • Bernie/Dexter games are usually fun. We're at home this year, so it should be crowded. I believe last time Dexter played at Bernie, doors were closed at half-time of JV game. And that was before the JV following we had last year. Smaller gyms are fun if you have a good crowd - like the Bernie/Sikeston crowd last year (for JV game anyway).

-- Posted by bluemules89 on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:23 PM
  • I think u put alot of effort in your typing bearcat because u make it readable but barely. Yep Rocker I know the group now I'm going to have fun figuring out who's who at games.

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:23 PM
  • TFA....just come over and introduce yourself.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:26 PM
  • Rocket sorry

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:27 PM
  • I actually know some

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:28 PM
  • Some of the teachers???

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:34 PM
  • Well I know 1 teacher had my son in class I'm thinking he's one of the posters on here if I figured it out. Math I think in 7th grade maybe and a few who aren't teachers that sit in that area. Actually I think my son had a female teacher that sits there maybe 5 or 6 grade

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:37 PM
  • I'm not sure who those are. I think we only have 1 elementary teacher in our group. We don't have any middle school teachers. Ours are mostly high school.....

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:51 PM
  • Hmmm maybe I have wrong area but don't think I do.

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:53 PM
  • Oh well guess I will find out sometime soon if he makes it thanks for talking to me guys

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 2:59 PM
  • Jackson needs to redistrict their boundaries! I see way to many Jackson School buses in the city limits of Cape picking up kids.

-- Posted by Jax12 on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 3:43 PM
  • Well my son didn't make the team he was told he was close. So no blondes on the team this year. Told him to try again next year personally I think it's a waste of time.

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 4:23 PM

Have him work hard from now til then. Get involved in some summer games, or go to the rec and play ball. More you play the better he will get. Tell him to keep his head up.. He'll get there.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 4:27 PM
  • I'm more upset than he is. He says he's going to try again next year. That he isn't going to do football just concentrate on bball. Which I told him that's crazy because at least he was on the football team. How do u find out about the summer leagues? I've heard about them but thought it was only for the guys on the team.

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 4:43 PM
  • Dang guess I'm going to have to move into Kelly school district. That's just up the road. Lol

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 4:48 PM
  • TFA, Kelly has football too now. Hehehe.

-- Posted by Pete Czeria on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 5:09 PM
  • True, time to put the house up for sell and be a hawk??

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 5:34 PM
  • I do have a question for you guys.sikeston doesn't have church league ball anymore for his age group is there any town around that does for his age group?

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Nov 2, 2012, at 5:52 PM
  • TFA

Cape and Jackson both have leagues for his age group during the winter months. And Cape has the summer league but for that you have to put together a team. Anyone can get a team in the summer league. You can get that info from Cape Parks and Rec.

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Tue, Nov 6, 2012, at 8:13 PM
  • Thank you

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Nov 6, 2012, at 8:21 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: