Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: MBCA/MoSports Boys Basketball State Rankings Week 4

Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 11:59 PM:

CLASS 1

1. South Iron (12-1)

2. Meadville (11-0)

3. Drexel (7-1)

4. Glasgow (7-1)

5. Fair Play (11-0)

6. Eminence (9-1)

7. North Andrew (9-0)

8. Leopold (10-2)

9. Braymer (7-1)

10. Ridgeway (8-1)

Others receiving votes: Oak Ridge, Scott County Central, Marion County, Pilot Grove, Everton

CLASS 2

1. Billings (10-1)

2. West Platte (9-0)

3. Canton (9-0)

4. Sacred Heart (8-0)

5. Gallatin (9-0)

6. Holcomb (9-3)

7. Bernie (8-1)

8. Iberia (12-1)

9. Salisbury (7-1)

10. Crane (10-2)

Others receiving votes: Hayti, Elsberry, South Harrison, South Pemiscot, Advance

CLASS 3

1. Madison Prep (12-0)

2. Maplewood (11-2)

3. Charleston (11-1)

4. John Burroughs (10-0)

5. Higginsville (9-0)

6. Fatima (8-0)

7. St. James (10-0)

8. Clever (11-1)

9. Strafford (5-1)

10. Southern Boone (6-2)

Others receiving votes: Hollister, Caruthersville, Cuba, Hogan Prep, St. Pius X (KC), Alton

CLASS 4

1. Sikeston (11-0)

2. Lafayette (St. Joseph) (10-1)

3. Duchesne (7-0)

4. Republic (9-1)

5. Liberty North (8-3)

6. Mexico (8-2)

7. Center (9-2)

8. Moberly (8-1)

9. Westminster Christian (6-4)

10. DeSoto (9-1)

Others receiving votes:

CLASS 5

1. Nixa (10-1)

2. Hazelwood Central (7-3)

3. Lee's Summit West (8-1)

4. CBC (9-3)

5. Blue Springs South (9-1)

6. Hickman (10-1)

7. DeSmet (8-3)

8. Parkview (9-1)

9. Rockhurst (7-3)

10. Ladue (8-3)

Others receiving votes: Vianney, Liberty, Ft. Zumwalt South

Replies (13)

See this is what I dont get about rankings, I researched Elsberry(Receiving votes in class 2)just because they were in our District. They are 6-5 and the teams they've beat have a combined record of 17-36. And one team the best team out of those is Troy at 6-5. Am I missing something? Did they beat Duke?

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 12:18 AM

Bill, I haven't done any looking into Elsberry (Maxpreps on iPhone sucks) but what class are the teams they are playing? Can I get a breakdown of the number in each class? Troy is a 6-5 Class 5 school so that is a decent win for a Class 2 school. Now, part of their receiving votes could be that they have been decent in Class 3 in recent years making a Final Four a couple of years ago and have now moved down a class. Again, going by no other information, I would think they are getting votes by playing up (or they are just getting one vote from a homer coach in their area).

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 12:27 AM

Clopton 3-6, Silex 3-6, Van-Far 3-5, and Wellsville 0-7 are all Class 2 District 5 teams which make up 4 of the 6 Monroe City 2-6 makes 5 in class 3 and then Troy 6-5 class 5. They also have a loss to Silex. I just, gotta think thats a homer vote somewhere

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 12:38 AM

Probably so. It is a poll done by coaches so you gotta believe someone just knows their name in the area and figured they were probably deserving of it. It surprises me that Advance and South Pem are getting votes but Oran isn't.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 12:40 AM
  • Desoto is still ranked despite losing white and ferguson.. so we're they not that good or have they just played a weak schedule bc they didn't make any noise last year

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 1:02 AM

They were decent last year. Tough to make noise when Sikeston is looming first game after districts. However, their record is inflated as always due to playing a Mineral Area schedule. Not a lot of powerhouses up there to play. They have a big guy in Pastner and guard in Solomon who are good but not much beyond that. Considering how weak their district and district next to them is, they could be a quarterfinalist.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 1:07 AM
  • Bernie never has been 8-1. Lol

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 9:25 AM
  • Wow whens the last time scc was not in top ten? Could be a sign of the end times.......

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 10:11 AM
  • Bernie is 11-1 they must not be counting the campbell tournament. Guess they only count losses in tournaments and not wins. I agree that holcolmb should be in top ten but not ranked ahead of bernie with a 9-3 record even though they beat bernie in bct. Series is tied so far this year. Billings got beat by scc a class one team that is unranked and they havent moved at all.

-- Posted by yaeger on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 2:34 PM
  • I too am surprised that Oran is not getting any votes in Class 2. Cirithungol17, I thought the exact same thing about SCC being unranked in Class 1. As far as DeSoto goes, they may not even win their district if Park Hills Central is in it with them. I believe they are 1-1 against the Rebels this season and PHC has won like 8 games in a row, including their own X-mas tourney as a #7 seed. Their winning streak includes knocking Hillsboro and South Iron from the ranks of the unbeaten. PHC is definitely a team to keep your eye on.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 3:31 PM

Park Hills Central is in District 2 I think. They look like the favorite to be the yearly sacrifice to District 1 come playoff time. Desoto is in District 3 now I think.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 3:37 PM
  • Couldn't remember for sure Sideline thanks. PHC is still a team to watch out for IMO.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 3:44 PM
  • It's pretty hard to argue against this when the team records are not even correct. Enough is said right there.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 3:49 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: