Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Official Sideline Starter Top Ten--01/06/2013

Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 2:12 AM:

Happy Sunday everyone and welcome back to another edition of Semoball's longest running rankings of the area's best basketball teams. I'd like to remind everyone that after the debut edition for this season last Tuesday, the top ten will be coming out every Sunday from here on out. After last week's memorable Christmas tournaments, it was a less busy week in the SEMO region but the games did not disappoint. From Bernie's controversial game-winner over Advance to Scott City's overtime victory over Chaffee, the area may have been short on games but there was still more than enough action. Let's get to the rankings:

1) Sikeston-The Bulldogs (12-0) spent the week practicing and recuperating before taking on Parkway South Saturday at the Tiger Shootout and taking care of business. Things get more interesting for Sikeston in the week ahead. A matchup with Fredericktown on Tuesday is the appetizer to the main course Friday night: a matchup with Class 3 power Maplewood-Richmond Heights at the Sikeston Field House. This has been a highly anticipated matchup for the SEMO region since the game was scheduled and it is sure not to disappoint. There may be no coach in the St. Louis region better than Corey Frazier and he will have his boys ready. That could be the best game in Southeast Missouri this season. (Last week: 1)

2) Charleston-The Bluejays (11-1) had the week off after their Christmas tournament championship last week and it could not have come at a better time. There are some nagging injuries on this team including from star point guard Ryan Parham and the Jays used this week to heal up having limited practices. They will be back on the court Tuesday when they take on the rising New Madrid County Central Eagles in what could be a preview of the Class 3 District 1 Championship game. (Last week: 2)

3) Poplar Bluff-The Mules (8-3) were another team who were able to take the week off after a strong performance at their hometown Shootout. Will Durden has the chance to really make a mark as one of the next big coaches in SEMO in his first season at Poplar Bluff. The Mules will look to continue their impressive run on Tuesday when they take on Doniphan. (Last week: 3)

4) Cape Central-The Tigers (7-4) are just barely fending off Jackson for the fourth spot in the rankings as they pulled away late from Hazelwood West on Saturday in their Tiger Shootout. Cape has been good enough so far this season to put together a decent record but the talent on this team has to start showing up consistently if they hope to be the team to prevent Sikeston from winning in districts. As of now, I have Central projected as the two seed in their district but they could also very soon be #5 in this poll due to the momentum being built by the school below them. (Last week: 4)

5) Jackson-The Indians (8-5) added another game to their string of impressive performances on Saturday as they took down Lutheran South from St. Louis at the Tiger Shootout. Personally, I want to see Jackson play another talented, up-tempo team to see how well they can adjust to getting pressure on their ballhandlers as well as their shooting ability when they are tired and their shots are getting contested. This is a talented team. How talented though is yet to be determined. (Last week: 5)

6) New Madrid County Central-I know it amazes some that a team like the Eagles (5-5) can be ranked so high but Willie Jimerson has broken out this season as one of the premier players in the area before he was really expected to. He has propelled this team back into relevancy ahead of schedule (and against a very tough schedule). New Madrid had the week off like many teams after their trek to the Dyersburg Christmas tourney last week but can truly show just how good they are when they take on Charleston on Tuesday night. (Last week: 7)

7) Notre Dame-The Bulldogs (6-8) drop a spot after dropping a close game to a similar Miller Career team from St. Louis on Saturday. They did also defeat Fredericktown in a turbo clock game on Tuesday. I know that they were able to come back and defeat New Madrid earlier in the season but the Eagles looked better over Christmas and Notre Dame continues to struggle (though keep it close primarily) against their tough schedule. Notre Dame faces St. Vincent on Tuesday but the real game of interest for the Bulldogs is a week from Thursday when they take on Advance. They are going to have to get some wins now that the schedule is easing up for them and their young players have gotten ample playing time to maintain their spot in the rankings. (Last week: 6)

8) Holcomb-The Hornets (10-3) rolled Campbell on Friday in their only game this week to maintain their spot in the rankings. They are knocking on the door of the seventh spot as Notre Dame continues to flounder. This team has gone from being a hunter to being the hunted after their Bloomfield Christmas tourney win and have to now do what top teams in a respective class are supposed to do: take care of business against weaker opponents. Holcomb faces Delta C-7, Southland, Neelyville, and Gideon in their next four games and need to take advantage of this stretch of their schedule before Tri-County rival Risco comes knocking. I expect them to get the job done but things can sometimes change when nightly expectations do. (Last week: 8)

9) Kennett-The Indians (8-4) had the week off like many which was plenty of time to reflect on and move past their close loss to Holcomb in Bloomfield. Things get interesting Tuesday night though as they take on Bootheel Conference rival Hayti in a rematch of last year's very memorable Bootheel Conference tournament championship. Both sets of Indians will be looking to get over their respective losses to the Hornets as well as get a leg up in the conference. (Last week: 9)

10) Oran-Bernie is trying to wrest away the ten spot from the Eagles (12-2) but it is tough to do when Oran keeps on winning. The Eagles were able to defeat Saxony Lutheran this week and looked better against Advance than Bernie which are the differences seperating the teams right now. A Friday night game at St. Vincent could be an intriguing matchup between two good small schools in the area. (Last week: 10)

Additional thoughts: It was a slow week around the area for major shakeups which is reflected by the only slight changes in the list this week. Next week proves to be explosive as many of the top ten face tests with the marquee matchup being Sikeston vs Maplewood on Friday. I am also very interested and may attend the Charleston-New Madrid game on Tuesday. All of the top games for the week will be documented by Preacher Man Fan in a seperate thread and I encourage the big time high school basketball fans in the area to try to attend a game this week that does not feature the primary team you root for or cover. Even with the concensus that Sikeston and Charleston are the best in the area, there is a lot of very good basketball going on all over the area.

As always, thank you to those who choose to take time out of their day to check out the weekly top ten. Without the great feedback I receive, it would not be nearly as fun to do the rankings. In case you missed it, Preacher Man Fan and I got into a spirited debate over how much consideration strength of schedule should get in determining rankings. It was a fun discussion and was a good example of the type of civil but passionate debate I like to see with the rankings. If so inclined, I'd love to see your comments, criticisms, compliments, considerations, couplets, and other words that begin with 'C' or any other letter for that matter below. Have a great week.

Replies (104)

• Nice work Sideline, looks pretty solid to me. Cannot wait to see Sikeston-MRH friday night, is getting a seat going to be an issue down there?

-- Posted by stlscott on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 7:26 AM
  • Clearwater in South Iron in Bernie in Emenince in top 10 . PB out Jackson out Cape out Oran out. Just my opinion.

-- Posted by dickie v on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 7:59 AM
  • Holcomb has the weakest schedule around south land risco Gideon delta c7 while Bernie has caruthersville dexter notre dame Hayti sikeston and also Holcomb while Bernie has beat portageville s pem advance and Holcomb but no one gives Bernie any respect go figure

-- Posted by yaeger on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 9:19 AM
  • I don't think getting a seat will be a problem Scott unless Maplewood brings a bunch of people

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 9:25 AM

Nice work sideline very detailed!I also would like fans to see other teams besides the one they follow reguarly it will give you a different perspective.

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 11:38 AM

I appreciate it Scott. I also agree with TFA that the Field House will be pretty packed Friday but there should be seats. Let me know some sort of indicator of what you'll be wearing or something and I'll come say hello.

Dickie v, seriously? How badly do you root against the SEMO Conference?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 11:42 AM

Thanks porchswing.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 11:43 AM
  • Sideline:

Please tell me how you rank Holcomb, Kennett and Oran above Bernie. I want to know how you come up with that.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 11:48 AM
  • Scott if your wanting to actually sit on Sikeston main side (we sit on opposite side also) u better get there for JV. I've had to sit on the opposite side a cpl of times because main side is pretty packed.

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 11:54 AM
  • Heres how I see it. My KC Chiefs were ranked very high at the beginning of the Football season also. Enough Said!

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 12:01 PM
  • idk bball fanatic, could be because Holcomb just won the BCT by beating the 11 seed followed by the 3,2, and then the 1 seed.. not much of a tougher road than knocking off all top 3 seeds to win a championship.. clown

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 12:05 PM
  • My Top 10:

Sikeston

Charleston

Poplar Bluff

Cape Central

NMCC

Jackson

N Dame

Kennett

Bernie,Holcomb,Hayti,Oran,Advance,Pville,Spem

Leopold

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 12:11 PM
  • I'm definetly going to try and make it down guys Id like to meet all of ya'll. Definetly Interested in this ballgame if Sikeston wins this game and I honestly think its gonna be tough, I really see a repeat of 2011. #undefeated

-- Posted by stlscott on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 12:15 PM
  • SportsNERD:

I just asked a question, why do you have to call me a name. you hurt my feelings.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 12:19 PM

BBfanatic, you and I have always gotten along and you know I respect the Bernie program. Here is how I rank each team specifically above Bernie:

Holcomb) The two teams have split their first two meetings and in watching both I was more impressed with the play of Holcomb. I know Baker was out for the second matchup but even at full strength when Holcomb faced adversity, they pushed it to overtime before getting knocked. I know the Hornets lost some games earlier in the season but they did win the Bloomfield tourney by knocking off Hayti, Bernie, and Kennett in consecutive games and seems fully understands what they are both on offense and defense (not saying any other team doesn't but Holcomb has impressed with the way they run their system this year). While Bernie's record is a bit better, their marquee win right now is probably the early season win over Holcomb. Winning over Hayti, Bernie, and Kennett in consecutive days and being impressive before puts them where they are for right now.

Kennett) The Indians have played a much tougher schedule to this point going against West Memphis, Pine Bluff, Valley View, Caruthersville, Notre Dame, etc. and won some of those games. I know Bernie plays a lot of good teams as well but the ones that can really make a statement on how good they can be are primarily still to come on the schedule. Kennett has played and won some games against competition Bernie hasn't seen so far. The lack of truly top area teams overall (they have played a great slate for their class) that Bernie has played so far knocks them below Kennett because the Indians have played and beat some of them. They can move past the Indians if Kennett continues to stumble which could happen when they play Hayti. However, at this point, I have not seen enough from the Mules to make me think they are better than Kennett.

Oran) As I said in my post, the difference between these two teams is very close. Bernie only has one loss to Oran's two but one of those two for Oran was Charleston so let's throw that out of the equation. In the past week, both teams have played a good Class 2 team in Advance with their full lineup. Oran was able to knock shots, body up well inside, and defeat Advance by seven. Bernie also played a good game against Advance but needed a last second prayer to prevent overtime. Oran played the stronger field in the Cape Christmas tourney and got fifth knocking off Scott Central and Advance while losing to Charleston while Bernie took third in the Bloomfield tourney missing Baker in their only loss against Holcomb and defeating Portageville and South Pemiscot. The two teams are very close like everyone in Class 2 this year which is why things are very fluid. I just want confirmation from Bernie of playing the tougher teams on their schedule. I expect great things from them this year as I always do but they haven't had the opportunities yet to impress me as much as Holcomb and Oran have. Those two teams have differentiated themselves from the pack just a little bit and I don't want to just make a giant tie on the list. I hope my explanation helps a little bit.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 12:23 PM
  • I agree with BBfanatic Holcomb isnt going anywhere reminds me of Risco of last year the ball down in deep bootheel is soft IMO, no reason to call me names or anything like that its my opinion.

-- Posted by stlscott on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 12:24 PM

Sportsnerd, don't start with stuff like that. I want debate on this thread not clown cooments.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 12:24 PM

Comments*

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 12:24 PM
  • I agree with SS though right now they do belong in top ten.

-- Posted by stlscott on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 12:25 PM
  • Thanks Sideline:

just wanted to see how you were seeing it. there are not many on here I respect the opinion of but yours is one.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 12:33 PM

No problem BBfanatic.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 12:38 PM
  • I don't root against the Semo conf. Just you put teams in your top 10 that I don't agree with .I think the Semo conf is a good conf. But there are some teams that will beat some of the Semo conf. Teams on a regular basis. That does'nt get any respect.

-- Posted by dickie v on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 12:48 PM

You really think Bernie, South Iron, Eminence, Clearwater, Notre Dame, New Madrid, Holcomb, and Kennett would all beat Poplar Bluff, Jackson, and Cape on a regular basis? That is what you are saying by taking those specific teams out to add in those specific teams.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 12:54 PM
  • South iron did beat them

-- Posted by yaeger on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 12:58 PM

There's a difference between winning once and winning regularly against a team. South Iron defeated Poplar Bluff in their first game in a completely new system under a brand new coach coming off a really mediocre year by one point. At this point, I would pick Bluff over South Iron. Honestly, I couldn't rank Eminence, Clearwater, and South Iron even if I wanted to. While I know about them, I do not have the knowledge of them that I do the schools covered by Semoball in order to fit them into the rankings and I don't have the time nor gas money to make trips up that area to catch games. This poll consists of school covered by the Semoball coverage area.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 1:08 PM
  • sideline, I added to the debate and backed your rankings.. I don't find it reasonable to ask why Holcomb is ranked over Bernie.. sorry my opinion just like u n bbfanatic have your own

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 1:22 PM

I understand your opinion but I just didn't think the "clown" comment was necessary but BBfanatic and I have discussed basketball on here a number of times and respect them so I just didn't want to come off as if I approved of the comment.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 1:26 PM
  • Yes I think they will beat PB and Jackson and cape a large majority of the time .There are a lot of good teams that are not in the Semo conf. They just don't get the respect they deserve.I watched all three teams above and they didn't a impress me at all. Just average teams that some think or better than others.

-- Posted by dickie v on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 2:07 PM
  • Did that dude really say Eminence? Or am I reading things that arent really there? bahahaha

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 2:07 PM
  • If we are ranking teams not in the SEMOBALL coverage area, then I think you have to include the Miami Heat and the OKC Thunder. Those two teams would consistently beat the majority of SS's top ten (except Charleston and Sikeston). I just think they deserve more respect.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 2:13 PM

Enlighten us. What is it about Eminence, Clearwater, South Iron, Notre Dame, New Madrid, Holcomb, and Kennett that makes you think they would beat Poplar Bluff, Cape, and Jackson "on a regular basis"? I'm really curious about Notre Dame since they are 1-3 against these teams so far.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 2:18 PM
  • sportsnerd:

I actually thought your comment was valid just didnt like the last word. I like to hear different peoples opinions. Rankings and seedings are opinions and thats all they are. The BCT was seeded by the coaches and Kennett came out 1 and Bernie 2 and they were picked in those spots for a reason. Guess what. It meant nothing because the #6 seed won. Now that could mean that Holcomb is better than Kennett and Bernie and the other 4 seeds but it could also mean they played 3 good games in a row.

nonetheless thats why the games are played. Its great to debate. Who says being a clown is all that bad anyway (Ronald McDonald). Its all cool.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 2:19 PM
  • I was actually meaning to type clown question bro in reference to Bryce Harper, got side tracked and just submitted

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 2:44 PM
  • Doubt you'll have any trouble getting a seat for the Sikeston-Maplewood game, even if you show up between games.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 3:05 PM

I hope your wrong Farmboy in my opinion there a packed house for a big game at the Dog Dome is the best thing about high school basketball. But your probably right since the average fan has no idea who MRH is or where they are from much less how good they are.

-- Posted by Bunk on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 3:32 PM
  • I agree with you sideline there are none of those teams going to win on a regular basis. Take Kennett for example they have had a pretty good team over the last what 5 or 6 years and last year was the first time they have beat PB in like 10 or so years. And REALLY CLARKTON!!!

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 4:35 PM
  • Even on championship night of the conference tourney you could find seats all over the place. A non-SEMO team won't bring many neutral fans.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 6:24 PM
  • Me and Dickie V's top 10

1. Eminence

2. Bernie

3. South Iron

4. Clearwater

5. Marquand

6. Delta

7. Parma

8. Canalou

9. Lilbourn

10. Grayridge

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 6:27 PM
  • Also receiving votes, Fisk-Rombauer.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 6:30 PM
  • Haha Forgot about Fisk-Rombauer, They had a big win last week over Dudley in the battle of Highway 60.

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 7:18 PM
  • @terry your making jokes but your top three are state ranked with one of them being #1 and Bernie was#3 before losing to Holcomb

-- Posted by yaeger on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 7:36 PM
  • I would put kennett above new Madrid , Holcomb and Bernie . I know Holcomb beat kennett , I just don't think they could do it again. Not trying to take anything away from their win, they deserved it on that nite. If kennett loses to hayti then I will have to rethink my opinion .

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 8:30 PM

Holcomb did get the win though recently on a neutral site and New Madrid has played well including in a close loss to Notre Dame while Kennett laid an egg against the Bulldogs. Kennett has not done enough really to move above where they are at this moment.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 8:33 PM
  • Th4p you forgot about the circle city dragons.They beat gray ridge.

-- Posted by dickie v on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 8:37 PM
  • I understand why you put them where you did, that was just my opinion. That's the kennett fan in me I guess

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 8:41 PM
  • Kennett will beat Hayti but I think Bernie would beat Kennett. If they played but they don't so we will never know .

-- Posted by dickie v on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 8:58 PM
  • Sideline, another well-written and researched article. I always look forward to reading your column. I also appreciate the favorable mention of my "Key Games" threads; we get some good discussion there as well.

You already know how I feel about Notre Dame and NMCC being in the Top 10, but I have no intention of re-hashing that discussion again this week. As you said, those who are interested in our debate on that subject can re-read your Top 10 column from last week. I too enjoyed the discussion and hope it served as a model for how to disagree without being disagreeable.

I do understand why you don't include South Iron and Eminence as they are not in the Semoball coverage area. I DON'T understand why TerryHicks4Prez mocked Eminence though as they have another good team and program. Terry is prone to those kind of irrational, sarcastic comments though. One team you do want to keep your eye on though is Clearwater. They are in Semoball coverage area. They have just 3 losses and that includes two close losses to South Iron and a close loss to Eminence.

I will close by saying I agree with the posters who think Bernie has done enough to be considered a Top 10 team. I also think Hayti should be ranked. For those who will respond that Kennett lost badly to ND, I will simply say that I think Kennett had an off night and I don't think the Bulldogs can beat them consistently.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 9:27 PM

Preach, though they are listed as a Semoball school, I know I will never see Clearwater this year as Piedmont is too far a drive for me to do with the time and money I have for the amount of interest I would have in the game. Also, Maxpreps lists them as also having a loss to Cabool. They may be able to contend for a lower spot on the list but I can't say for sure one way or the other. Sorry to offend any Clearwater fans.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 9:38 PM
  • I agree that kennett had an off night, also ND couldn't miss a three pointer in the first half which helped build the lead. I think knnt out scored them by 10 or 15 in the second half, just wasn't enough. If ND plays like first half not sure if knnt would beat them. Hard to beat someone when they hit 9 or 10 threes in first half.

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 9:41 PM
  • Sideline, I'm pretty sure tooldogging (a Clearwater poster) said on another thread they only have the three losses I mentioned. I don't remember which thread that was on though. Maybe he will read this and clarify for us.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 9:43 PM

Sideline that lost to cabool was their j.v.I saw that game it was at the current river challenge at van buren.They didn't bring any seniors and that talented sophmore!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 9:48 PM

Thanks. Like I said, Maxpreps listed it so you can never be for sure.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 9:49 PM

I understand one can only see so much in person you have to rely on research!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 9:56 PM
  • Sideline while I agree with your top ten is there any way you can make a top ten without the SEMO conference teams? Nothing against the conference it's just that most people know that at least 5 SEMO conference teams will make the top ten weekly and righfully so. But what would the top ten look like w/o these power houses involved?

-- Posted by semolian on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 1:35 AM
  • It was a joke, its ok to laugh every now and then. But for the record, state rankings are about as worthless as tits on a boar hog.

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 10:19 AM
  • TERRY TERRY TERRY.WOW YOU RANKEM.LETS SEE WHO YOU THINK GOES WHERE.

-- Posted by dickie v on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 10:27 AM
  • You've got a lot of class TH4Prez. All of it bad. One wonders why you feel compelled to comment repeatedly on such a worthless thread?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 11:40 AM
  • Who said anything about this being a worthless thread?

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 11:42 AM
  • Well if official state rankings are so worthless, what does that say about unofficial Top 10 rankings like Sideline's? His list is only official for Semoball.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 11:51 AM
  • I would say his list is very accurate because you are ranking teams from one small area that for the most part you have seem them all play, and most have played each other or will play each other. My comment that state rankings are worthless was directed towards Yaeger.

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 12:02 PM
  • Clearwater played in the Black River Shootout with pretty much their JV team, no varsity starters or players that get major minutes. The game was not an official game and did not count against their record. The three games they have lost was by a total of 8 points, and to state ranked opponents (two to SI [by 3 and 4 points] and 1 to Eminence [by 1 point]). C'water is no slouch and can play. By the way, the website is called SEMOBALL and not SEMO-CONFERENCE BALL!

-- Posted by tooldogging on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 12:56 PM

Well, the SEMO Conference does have the best basketball in SEMO from top to bottom most seasons.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 1:58 PM

In my opinion, if he took the SEMO Conference schools out of this list, it would no longer be an accurate representation of the Top 10 teams in the area. Also keep in mind that only schools covered by semoball are evaluated for this list, therefore Eminence and South Iron will never be on this list. I don't think the SEMO conference can help that they have schools that are bigger, and often times better than good lower class teams. It just is what it is. Although in the past he has done a small school version as well, that went over real well. Maybe he will do that again as the year goes on, and that might please some more people.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 2:00 PM
  • Caruthersville can't squeeze in to the 10 spot?A couple of the teams that you listed as maybe squeezing in to the top 10 the Caruthersville already beat them

-- Posted by Tigersfan on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 2:05 PM
  • Not sure i agree with you BuckMajor.Semo conf games other than a couple of teams are'nt to good to watch.Most teams are just average teams . Not sure where your coming from.The small schools play as hard or maybe harder than they do.And i wish some of the little schools could play some of the semo conf teams . It would be some good games.

-- Posted by dickie v on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 2:21 PM

I guess where I'm coming from, and my point, is that I do not believe that clearwater or other small schools mentioned, could beat the 7 SEMO conference schools listed on this top 10. Also I am in no way picking on clearwater or small schools in general, just giving how I feel. I whole heartedly agree small schools play extremely hard, and some of the best fan bases I have witnessed have been from small schools. Most of them may be average this year, but when two of the SEMO conference schools look like they could win state, I do not think that is average. In my opinion, several small schools do get to play semo conference schools, its the Southeast Missourian Christmas tournament. The 1st and 2nd place game, and the 3rd and 4th game, consisted of the 4 SEMO conference schools in the tournament. The games where small schools took on the semo teams where not that good of games. So to sum it up, I think this is an accurate list and that those 7 are the best 7, they just happen to be in the same conference.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 2:31 PM
  • U wish you could see some of the smaller schools play the big Semo Conf teams? Like Oran vs Charleston, Jackson vs SCC, Leopold vs ND, or Advance vs Cape?

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 2:33 PM
  • That would be awesome! They should put together some type of tournament with big schools and little schools and play it next year around Christmas time at the Show-Me Center. I would pay money to see that.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 2:45 PM
  • Hey I have the perfect name for it the Southeast Missourian Christmas Tournament!!!

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 3:04 PM
  • No, that's a stupid name...

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 3:50 PM

Caruthersville will need to play more consistant and get some bigger wins in order to crack this list. They have some good test this week in Bernie and Hayti. If they were to beat both, I could see a case being made for them but still not sure if they are top ten yet. They have a tough month ahead. They will play Earle, Bernie,Hayti, Charleston, and Sikeston. I just think Caruthersville has more work to do to make the top 10. Maybe next year after a year with the new coach and having all players returning except Steve, they could be a team who could make some serious noise. Just don't see it happening this year. Of course, I hope I'm wrong.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 4:08 PM
  • I always thought it would be cool if the top eight and lower 8 from both Christmas tournaments could play one another. In another 16 team tournament. Just scheduling it would be the issue. But I would like to see holcomb, Bernie, south pem and hayti go against Jackson, cape central nd, and leopold. Even if charleston would win it all it COULD make for some GREAT braggin' rights.

Also I know the SEMO conference teams are deserving of their top 10. I just wanted to see what a small school ranking might look. Sort of like what the STL post dispatch does.

-- Posted by semolian on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 4:10 PM
  • Ya I would like to see Holcomb an Bernie play Jackson and cape .Big schools would have there hands full an more.But it ain't going to happen.

-- Posted by dickie v on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 5:58 PM
  • Holcomb's best scoring option is a 6'6 post. Jackson can have 6'9, 6'7, 6'6, 6'5, and 6'4 240 lb Luke Stevens in the game at any given time. For some reason I don't see that falling Holcomb's way.

-- Posted by semo501 on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 8:53 PM
  • And who on either of those small schools could keep Garan Evans in front of them for 4 quarters?

-- Posted by semo501 on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 9:01 PM
  • Advance lost to Bernie on a buzzer beater, Cape blew out Advance. I dont see them having their hands full....and more.

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 9:06 PM
  • Those smaller schools would get beat handily by Cape or Jackson.

-- Posted by stlscott on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 9:36 PM

But...but...but small schools don't get respect and play hard guys. The SEMO Conference is all average and stuff. Don't use actual results to disprove points made.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 9:36 PM
  • SORRY CAPE AND JASKSON MUST BE PLAYING BETTER I SEEN BOTH TEAMS PLAY 2 GAMES WAS'NT IMPRESSED AT ALL. THEY MUST OF GOT ALOT BETTER.

-- Posted by dickie v on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 9:48 PM
  • What games did you watch?

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 10:20 PM
  • Caps lock Dickie

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 12:35 AM
  • Ya i cap the letters because i thought your eyes still hurt from when you left the fieldhouse.Makes it easy for you to read. lol

-- Posted by dickie v on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 9:09 AM
  • Did anyone see a story or boxscore from the nd, cape, and jaxon shootout games? I musta missed em.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 12:06 PM
  • Any small school around the SEMO area would get handled easily by Cape or Jackson. Take the Christmas tournament for example: Cape blew Advance out by what 30? Each Big school "excluding a terrible Notre Lame team" handled their matchups with the smaller schools with ease. Not saying Jackson and Cape are awesome but with the talent in the area these days they are easily better than any of the smaller schools.

-- Posted by hatin all day on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 3:44 PM
  • And Ole DICK, check the level of competition from Cape, Jackson, Sikeston, and Charleston. Then take a look at Bernie and Holcomb. Just cause you win the oh so prestigious Bloomfield Scrub Christmas Tourney don't make you the top team in Southeast Missouri. You can take those blinders off now buddy ole Dick and look at whats going on in the world these days.

-- Posted by hatin all day on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 3:50 PM
  • Cape beat Advance by 18 points and pulled away in the 4th quarter to win comfortably. It was a close game for 3 1/2 quarters. And I love the reasoning that says Notre Dame is a big school but they don't count because they only beat Leopold by 6 points and that example wrecks my theory, so throw it out!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 3:54 PM
  • "Bloomfield Scrub Christmas Tourney"? What an absurd thing to say! The competition at Bloomfield this year was much better than at Cape. Hatin all day, your screen name says it all, so why don't you quit trolling on here and leave the basketball discussions to reasonable people?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 4:06 PM
  • Okay so next time my team lose by 18 points ill say man we played awesome. Losing by 18 points is a large margin to lose by I don't care how "close" we played for part of the game. And Notre dame is horrible with wins over Fredricktown, Bell City, Leopold, Jackson, new Madrid, and Kennett and being 6-9 I will not throw it out. But hey you probably think the kid who jacks up 40 threes a game and makes maybe 2 will be playing for Duke or Kentucky when he goes to college.

-- Posted by hatin all day on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 4:21 PM
  • So I take it you love my name Preach? What level of competition are you talking about? To me it looks as if competition level of both tourneys is poor. I can remember every time I have went to the oh so prestigious Bloomfield tourney I have left before the first game was even over. How bout you and ole dick just start your own tourney cuz you both prove to have the most knowledge about high school basketball than anyone else. Oh, and did I strike a nerve with you preach? Lol

-- Posted by hatin all day on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 4:28 PM
  • You're the one who threw out Notre Dame Hatin, not me! I just pointed out the fallacy in your argument. ND is not horrible, they are young and inconsistent, but they will get better. And newsflash, but Leopold, Jackson, NMCC, and Kennett are all pretty good teams!

I hate to confuse you with facts, but the truth is that Advance played Cape close for most of that game. And who said anything about Advance playing awesome in that game? They played poorly in the 4th quarter and it cost them the game. So you just go on substituting ridicule for facts and logic and the rest of us will try to have a reasonable discussion.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 4:39 PM
  • You got me Hatin! Yes, absurd, irrational comments and arguments (like yours) do strike a nerve with me! As for the level of competition being better at Bloomfield this year, just check the box scores and you will see that there were many more close games than at Cape.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 4:47 PM
  • Your quite touchy preach seems like a lot of people get to you. Whatever excuse you want to say about ND is fine but being 6-9 is not very good to me by any means. And it does not matter how "close" advance played cape for that game. To me I do not care how well I played in half or 3/4 of a game if my team loses by 18 points then we got our butts kicked. What matters is playing a complete game Preach not half or three quarters.

-- Posted by hatin all day on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 4:53 PM
  • I'm not making any excuses for ND, Hatin. If you read up in this thread, you will see that I don't think ND belongs in the Top 10 with a losing record. But it doesn't follow that I think they're horrible. You might want to go back to Sideline's last Top 10 column and re-read our debate on that. Maybe you will learn how to disagree without being disagreeable.

No, I'm not touchy, Hatin. You're the one who came on here throwing out insults and ridicule right and left. I'm just trying to cool you down. We want constructive debate on here. And if you think I'm bad, count your blessings that Sideline, BillShakespeare, or Sonic didn't get ahold of you!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 5:00 PM

Anybody still overly upset about my rankings now after Bernie lost to Caruthersville and Hayti to Kennett?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 1:17 PM
  • Notre Dame and NMCC are still under .500 Sideline.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 1:23 PM

Every since sideline has had NMCC ranked, they have been 5-5. So they haven't still been under .500, they just now dropped under .500. They also played Charleston closer than Jackson and Cape, who are ranked ahead of them, and closer than any team has played them this year where they have won, except for North Little Rock, the #1 team in Arkansas.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 1:29 PM

That wasn't really aimed at you Preach. You and I have our mutual respect. It is at those saying Bernie should be in over PB, Cape, Jackson and that small schools are better than the SEMO Conference but don't get respect, and such with no proof to it. I like Bernie a lot, like the fans who I've talked to on here for a few years but like I said before, I want to see what happens when they play the strong teams on their schedule and this one game doesn't determine much but it provides some evidence.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 1:32 PM
  • I appreciate that Sideline. I totally agree that Cape, Jackson, and Poplar Bluff belong in the Top 10. I also agree Bernie's poor performance against Caruthersville does raise questions about them too.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 2:07 PM

One point to add, gotta back up my guys haha (not directed at anyone, just putting out info) the teams NMCC have played are a combined 75-50. Here are some other teams comined records Notre Dame 101-50, Charleston 99-49, Cape 97-58,NMCC 75-50, Sikeston 89-77, Jackson 72-61, Poplar Bluff 70-62. So I think that is another reason why Notre Dame and NMCC are where they are.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 2:21 PM
  • I think Clarkton has to be in there somewhere I know they lost by like 40 to Risco but they are still one of the up and coming teams!!!

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 2:34 PM

I'd prolly slide them into the three spot.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 2:40 PM
  • Sideline, you give Eminence no respect. This is ridiculous, they beat Puxico by 14 and Doniphan by 10. They would mop the floor against the Semo Conference.

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 4:07 PM
  • Hatin all day I got the blinder off what's going on . Your cool man. Lol. I just didnt know cape an Jackson were so strong.

-- Posted by dickie v on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 6:51 PM
  • TerryHicks4President I seen one of your banners hanging in the gym last night you guys had a heck of a year. Did you guys have 3 pt line back then.

-- Posted by dickie v on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 7:23 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: