Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Key Games (Jan. 14-19)

Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Jan 13, 2013, at 11:31 PM:

We're back again with a new slate of key games here in SEMO! In addition to the usual line-up of marquee match-ups, big rivalries, and conference games, we have several tournaments this week.

Charleston is the #1 seed and defending champion in the Superman Classic in Metropolis, IL, which tips off Monday night.

Also on Monday night, Doniphan plays in the Liberty Invitational in Mountain View, MO, but I couldn't find out any more information about it. Hopefully some of you can give us an update.

Scott County Central hosts the Scott-Mississippi Conference Tournament (S-MCT) which begins Monday night. Oran is the #1 seed followed by SCC, Scott City, and Chaffee as the top four seeds, respectively. Oran as the top seed has a bye in the first round.

Clearwater hosts the Black River League Tournament (BRLT) in which South Iron is the #1 seed, followed by Clearwater, Winona, and Van Buren as seeds 2-4, respectively. Play in the boys tournament begins Tuesday night.

Unless otherwise noted, all games begin at 6 p.m. As always, feel free to add key games you feel I've omitted. By all means, add your thoughts and predictions, post scores, and debate the outcomes (in a civil manner, of course). I want to thank everyone who takes the time to read this weekly thread. Most importantly, get out to see some of these key games!

Monday, Jan. 14:

1. #1 Charleston vs. #8 Century, Superman Classic, Massac County High School, Metropolis, IL, 7:45 p.m.

2. #3 Scott City vs. #6 East Prairie, S-MCT, Scott County Central High School, 7:30 p.m.

3. Earle, AR at Caruthersville.

4. St. Vincent at Oak Ridge.

Tuesday, Jan. 15:

1. #2 SCC vs. #7 Delta, S-MCT, Scott County Central High School, 6:30 p.m.

2. #4 Chaffee vs. #5 Kelly, S-MCT, Scott County Central High School, 8:00 p.m.

3. Cape Central at Saxony Lutheran (Battle of the Church Brothers, a.k.a. "The Holy War").

4. Sikeston at Farmington.

5. Bloomfield at Bernie.

6. Hayti at Malden.

7. Poplar Bluff at Jackson.

8. South Pemiscot at Kennett.

9. NMCC at Twin Rivers.

10.Puxico at Dexter.

11.Portageville at Senath-Hornersville.

12.Gideon at Holcomb.

Wednesday, Jan. 16:

1. Valle Catholic at St. Vincent (re-match of the Winter Warrior Classic Championship).

Thursday, Jan. 17:

1. #1 Oran vs. Chaffee/Kelly, S-MCT semi-finals, SCC High School, 7:00 p.m.

2. #2 SCC vs. #3 Scott City (probable game), S-MCT semi-finals, SCC High School, 8:30 p.m.

3. #1 South Iron vs. #4 Van Buren/#5 East Carter County (probable game), BRLT semi-finals, Clearwater High School, Piedmont, MO, 6:30 p.m.

4. #2 Clearwater vs. #3 Winona (probable game), BRLT semi-finals, 8:00 p.m.

5. Notre Dame at Advance.

6. Rivercrest, AR at Hayti.

7. Kennett at Poplar Bluff.

8. Richland at Leopold.

Friday, Jan. 18:

1. #1 Charleston vs. #4 Madison, IL/#5 Meridian, IL (probable game), Superman Classic semi-finals, 6:15 p.m.

2. S-MCT 3rd Place Game, SCC High School, 7 p.m.

3. S-MCT Championship, SCC High School, 8:30 p.m.

4. BRLT 3rd Place Game, Clearwater High School, 8:00 p.m.

5. Sikeston at Kennett.

6. Holcomb at Risco.

7. Dexter at NMCC.

8. Portageville at Malden.

9. Park Hills Central at Farmington.

10.Poplar Bluff at Marshfield.

11.Saxony Lutheran at Notre Dame.

12.Bernie at Puxico.

Saturday, June 19:

1. Superman Classic Championship, Massac County High School, Metropolis, IL, 7:45 p.m.

2. BRLT Championship, Clearwater High School, Piedmont, MO, 8:00 p.m.

3. Cape Central vs. Rogersville, 5th Annual Laker Shoot-Out, Camdenden High School, Camdenton, MO, 5:00 p.m.

Replies (371)

Great job as usual preacher i want to thank you for taking the time to list all these very helpful in trying to decide where to go thanks again!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Jan 13, 2013, at 11:52 PM
  • My pleasure, porchswing. That's what it's there for!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 12:03 AM

Yes good job preach! Sort of odd, but NMCC also has a game on Thursday against Cairo IL which should be a good game. Not often that they have two regular season games on back to back nights. A lot of NMCC's sports teams are playing Cairo this year, including middle school.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 12:09 AM
  • Thanks Buck. Sorry I missed the game with Cairo, but it wasn't on NMCC's schedule as listed on Semoball. I think the Eagles should win that one handily though. Where is the game at Buck?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 12:13 AM

S-MC 3rd place game is at 5pm.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 6:27 AM
  • Cape Central at Saxony Lutheran is no longer the "Battle of the Church Brothers". Dane Church does not coach at Saxony this year.

-- Posted by countryfolk on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 7:47 AM
  • Really countryfolk? I didn't know that. Sorry about the mistake, Saxony fans.

Larry, did I get the time on the S-MCT championship game correct? If so, why such a gap between the two games?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 9:04 AM

PMF...Championship Game is correct @ 8:30. Jv 3rd place @ 4pm. Varsity 3rd place @ 5:30 and then JV championship at 7pm.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 9:41 AM
  • Great Job. Thanks for the Schedule!

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 9:56 AM
  • Gotcha Larry. Thanks for the update.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 9:56 AM
  • Thanks UFO. Enjoy the games!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 9:59 AM

No problem preach. I believe it was recent addition. I like adding the out of state competition to the regular season schedule. We usually play Blytheville, AR but they are not on the schedule this year, along with Scott City. New additions are Cairo, Malden, and Puxico. The game will be at New Madrid. I'm not looking forward to the drive over there next year.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 10:48 AM
  • So Larry, Unc, UFO (or anyone else) what are your thoughts on the S-MCT? No one in the league has even really challenged Oran yet and they have two victories over Scott City already. Will the Eagles walk away with it? Can SCC get it done on their home floor even though Oran turboed them once already on a neutral floor? Personally, I think someone will have to catch Oran on a really bad night to beat them. Remember too they only have to win 2 games while everyone else has to win 3 games for the championship.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 3:22 PM
  • Hayti and Risco also play Saturday at three rivers . Might be a good game?

-- Posted by proud pa pa on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 5:40 PM
  • PMF-I think anything can happen. SCC hasn't forgotten that loss to Oran in the Christmas tourney. Playing on their home floor, I would call it even odds. Don't forget about Chaffee and SC. Chaffee is no pushover, and SC-Oran would be the third meeting between the two. Tough to beat a fairly close team 3 times.

-- Posted by gostlrams on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 6:09 PM
  • preach dont count scc out just yet, they will be ready to play....(hopefully) lol...they are pumped and ready to play

-- Posted by kmasters on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 7:01 PM
  • The Scott-Miss. is definitely Oran's to lose.

I can almost promise you if Oran and SCC do meet again in the finals, it will be a closer game. SCC seemed to play well against Charleston and since the tournament is held at SCC, IMO are very capable of winning it all. It's hard to make a prediction though with the way SCC has flunctuated the whole season. Either way, Oran has to travel to SCC in Feb. for a regular season match-up. I've done went ahead and chalked up that game or the conference championship as a loss for the Eagles. We'll see..

Scott City is also in a great position to knock off SCC in the 2nd round. Brock should give SCC fits downlow as he seems to do quiet well against teams lacking height. If this occurs, Oran and SC will meet in the championship and since Oran already owns two wins against SC, anything can happen. I doubt SC pulls it out though because every ref in the Semo area hates SC...........

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 7:25 PM
  • Proud pa pa, that game isn't on either team's Semoball schedule, but I'm glad you brought it to our attention. If Risco tries to get into a track meet with Hayti, I think they'll get turboed frankly. There best chance is to play a tight zone defense and make them beat you from outside. Hayti doesn't have many shooters and that's how Holcomb beat them in the BCT.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 8:24 PM
  • Your probably right preacher man. We outran them last year but probably can't now! Anyway our boys have been playing much better since they got out of Leopold alive!!

-- Posted by proud pa pa on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 8:29 PM
  • Playing Holcomb on Friday then hayti on Saturday will be a tough task!

-- Posted by proud pa pa on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 8:31 PM
  • So does anyone have any updates on tonight's games?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 8:38 PM

Caruthersville over Earle 72-71.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 9:00 PM
  • Sounds like a good game and a good win for the Tigers with all the adversity Cheeshead. I know a win is a win, but how did the Tigers look tonight and what adjustments did Coach Smith make without Monroe?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 9:03 PM

Darrell's brother stepped up and gave quality minutes and came up with some clutch shots and rebounds. I would not be surprised to see him moved up to Varsity.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 9:18 PM

Caruthersville was down by double digits early on. I honestly didn't notice any major changes as far as running our offense or defense. We played more bodies than we normally do. Malik was a big help coming off the bench. Steve played really good tonight, the whole team played good in the second half. It was a tie game with under 9 secs left, Jamal Johson shot a three with .9 left on the clock and got fouled. Made a free throw to win the game. Great effort by all tonight.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 9:22 PM
  • Hey Beef, did you send me an e-mail? If you did, I didn't get it.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 9:25 PM

Yeah I sent it, just ranting nothing too important.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 9:47 PM
  • When did you send it? I'll check with our secretary tomorrow. I wasn't in the office today.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 9:50 PM
  • Twin rivers beat puxico by 20ish.

-- Posted by Lloydchristmas on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 10:27 PM
  • Oak Ridge 56, St. Vincent 36.

Charleston 86, Century, IL 43 in the Superman Classic.

Scott City 69, East Prairie 35 in the S-MCT.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 10:27 PM
  • How will Kennett do this week? holcomb and risco might be a good game

-- Posted by JH4 on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 10:34 PM

Nice bounce back for twin rivers after Poplar Bluff game!

-- Posted by porchswing on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 10:39 PM
  • Thanks for the update Lloydchristmas. Do you know what Twin Rivers's exact record is?

And JH4, Kennett has a really tough week ahead of them with 3 hard games with South Pem, Poplar Bluff, and Sikeston. Thankfully they play 2 out of 3 at home, but without Drake running the point, the Indians may run into trouble. We'll find out alot about Kennett this week.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 10:42 PM
  • Charleston will play Madison, IL, Friday night in the semi-finals of the Superman Classic.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 10:49 PM
  • Looking forward to seeing SCC play this year.

The School is a Basketball Producing Machine. Good year or Bad year, I guarantee they can play.

Uncle Charlie,

Tried to send all the Refs Chocolates for Christmas, but they refused delivery. Said, Oran's been Brown Nosing them with Turtle Truffles for years now...

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 10:53 PM
  • Twin Rivers is 8-7 I believe. They play New Madrid tonight and Neelyville Friday night.

-- Posted by Lloydchristmas on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 9:26 AM
  • I believe the Thursday game for Kennett/Poplar BLuff is just Freshmen. The JV/Varsity game isn't until Feb. 19th.

-- Posted by DWinKenMO on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 12:52 PM
  • Bernie and Bloomfield game canceled. tryin to reschedule for thursday.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 2:48 PM
  • Thanks for the update DW in KenMO. That will be better for both teams I'm sure.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 2:57 PM
  • Kennett vs. South Pemiscot

Poplar Bluff at Jackson

Both games postponed tonight.

-- Posted by gianthook on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 4:17 PM
  • Just saw a lead story on semoball where quite a few games are postponed tonight.

-- Posted by gianthook on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 4:19 PM
  • Beef, I responded to your e-mail earlier today.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 6:09 PM

Sikeston leads Farmington 21-18 after one quarter. Vashawn Ruffin has already hit two 3's.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 7:32 PM
  • Sounds like alot of fouls

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 7:39 PM
  • So Sikeston is playing. Tried to find on radio, couldn't. Please keep updating!

-- Posted by Sikeston fan on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 7:41 PM
  • -- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 7:46 PM
  • It's on 92.9

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 7:48 PM
  • Im down at this game any posters here?

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 7:49 PM
  • Getting very spotty inet on phone

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 7:49 PM
  • That offensive foul call on farmington was awful

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 7:51 PM

Sikeston leads Farmington 37-31 at half.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 7:52 PM
  • Rocket689 is there.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 7:53 PM
  • Scott, what are you wearing?

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 7:54 PM
  • Thank you for the info!

-- Posted by Sikeston fan on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 7:54 PM
  • Where are you Scott?

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 7:56 PM
  • Sikeston 37-31 at half, not sure if anyone is seeing this last post I can see on phone is the Caruthersville score.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 7:59 PM
  • Im out in the car rocketsbro, I have a pregnant wife I am trying to communicate with and I am not getting any tmobile service out here at all

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 8:03 PM

Sikeston up 44-31 now.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 8:04 PM
  • Gotcha. I'm not there, but Rocket689 was going to introduce himself.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 8:05 PM
  • Im not sure anyone is going to see this as Im back in lobby, Im in a black nike jumpsuit, and wow what the hell happened this was close.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 8:08 PM

Sikeston 53, Farmington 34 midway through the 3rd.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 8:09 PM
  • 65-38 now.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 8:17 PM
  • Im to the left of sikestons bucket, this is getting nasty now 25 point lead, probably gonna head out early if this continues, where you at Rocket?

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 8:18 PM

Sikeston leads Farmington 74-41 after three quarters. Bouncing back well.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 8:19 PM
  • 74-41 after 3.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 8:19 PM

Scott, Rocket says he is behind the Sikeston bench in a red Sikeston pullover and black pants. You're invited to say hi.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 8:22 PM
  • 74-41 after 3, Sikeston looked as good as Ive seen a team, and what the heck is Bratcher doin, wow, Im out folks, if there is one place I hate driving from in this state it is the mineral area, crappy roads Ill link up with everyone at the show me center.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 8:22 PM
  • Ha,Iwould have like to meet yall sideline but Im on 67 Northbound, and I have to say there was quite a few people in red and black.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 8:27 PM

Sikeston defeats Farmington 86-54.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 8:28 PM
  • For some reason that area of missouri makes me uncomfortable, i hate driving down there. Any body got a final score yet?

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 8:30 PM
  • Good win for Sikeston. Most games down here snowed out.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 8:33 PM
  • Good luck PHC! No chance of making a deep playoff run. Sikeston beat Farmington tonight by 30 with JV playing the 4th quarter.

-- Posted by dog2167 on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 8:36 PM
  • Everyone be careful driving home. Very slick roads around here in Dexter.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 8:37 PM
  • Sikeston looked good although I have said many times Farmington really isnt very good, but Sikeston did what they had to do good win, ok, no more talking till I get home, everyone have a safe trip.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 8:38 PM

Be safe Scott and everyone. I couldn't drive up tonight.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 8:41 PM

BRLT,The 123 seeds all roll mild upset 5 beat 4 vanburen got beat 61-60 by East carter!

-- Posted by porchswing on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 9:44 PM
  • Thanks for the update porchswing. No big surprises there except for VB losing to ECC.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 10:29 PM
  • Also porchswing, do you know what seed Doniphan got in the Liberty Invitational and how they've done so far? I couldn't find out anything about it.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 10:31 PM

Sorry preach can't help you either been looking I know thayer beat licking but can't find out anything on doniphan.

-- Posted by porchswing on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 10:44 PM
  • Liberty beat Doniphan 64 to 57.

-- Posted by dickie v on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 10:49 PM

Not high school but Ole Miss did beat Vanderbilt in overtime in basketball and Marshall Henderson hit quite the buzzer beater to send the game to OT. I don't know about anyone else but I watched and was excited.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 11:02 PM

Thanks dickie v.

-- Posted by porchswing on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 11:17 PM

That has got to be getting frustrating over there at doniphan just can't get it going!

-- Posted by porchswing on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 11:18 PM
  • Other scores from last night:

Cape Central 73, Saxony Lutheran 36.

Bell City 68, Woodland 50 (1st win of the season for the Cubs!)

Advance 76, Zalma 41.

Oak Ridge 85, Marquand 37.

Are there any other games rescheduled for tonight besides the S-MCT?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 5:33 PM
  • The Bernie and Bloomfield game has been rescheduled for thursday night.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 6:05 PM
  • Hayti varsity boys lead Malden 20-13 at the end of the first quarter.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 7:41 PM
  • Hayti leads Malden 41-26 at halftime.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 8:06 PM
  • Doed anyone have any updates on S-MCT tourney?

-- Posted by waw1981 on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 8:07 PM
  • Hayti leads Malden 46-35 at the end of the third quarter.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 8:22 PM

Rocket689, I talked to you on the phone today, although I don't think you knew it was me haha.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 8:25 PM
  • Hayti leads 65-59. 4:24 remaining.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 8:33 PM
  • 67-66 Hayti. 3:06.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 8:36 PM
  • Actually, I thought that but I wasn't sure. Ha! We will shoot the breeze when I call back. I have to call her back in a week or so.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 8:38 PM
  • 68-67 Malden 2:55

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 8:38 PM
  • 74-72 Hayti. 0:56

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 8:43 PM
  • 76-74 Malden. 0:30.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 8:43 PM
  • 79-77 Malden. 0:03

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 8:48 PM
  • Malden defeats Hayti 81-77.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 8:50 PM

Does anyone know the scores for the Scott-Mississippi Tournament?

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 8:53 PM

Haha okay! Alright sounds good man!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 9:03 PM
  • Jackson v. Poplar Bluff game now scheduled for Saturday Feb. 9.

JV starts at 3 pm.

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 9:20 PM
  • This one could be a good one. Where is it at?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 2:34 AM
  • South Pem @ Kennett rescheduled for Saturday 1/19 @ 1:00pm @ Kennett.

-- Posted by Shank on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 10:11 AM
  • Scores from the S-MCT last night:

Chaffee 74, Kelly 41

SCC 96, Delta 46

Also, St. Vincent defeated Valle Catholic 62-50 in O.T.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 10:28 AM

St Vincent score against Valle last night was 73-60 in OT

-- Posted by Lunchpacker on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 11:23 AM
  • I assume that both the varsity and jv will be playing Saturday for the SoPem/Kennett makeup. Dennis Nail will be providing play by play for the varsity game on KBOA FM 105.5 and/or www.kboaradio.com

-- Posted by DWinKenMO on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 12:55 PM
  • Tonight's games in S-MCT at Scott County Central:

1. #4 Chaffee vs. #1 Oran, 7:00 p.m.

2. #3 Scott City vs. #2 SCC, 8:30 p.m.

Should be two really good games. Any thoughts on the outcomes?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 3:39 PM
  • Thanks for the correction on the St. Vincent game Lunchpacker.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 3:40 PM

Oran and SCC both win without much trouble.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 4:13 PM
  • Hey Cheese...Have you seen any of the four teams play this year? (Oran, SCC, SC, or Chaffee)

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 4:56 PM

PMF, I don't think game 1 will be as close as game 2. But you never know.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 5:03 PM
  • I agree Larry. I think Oran wins by 10+. SCC and SC all depends on which SCC team comes out. If they're on, it could be a tough night for SC. If SCC has a mediocre game, SC wins. Home court could be a big advantage. I really hope both are good competitive games.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 5:10 PM

As a matter of fact Ronnie I have. I've seen Oran and SCC both play. I've seen enough to know that they should win their games. I'm assuming your only asking because I picked against SC. Sorry, I just don't see them beating SCC. You can make an educated prediction without having seen every team in SEMO play. I'm not the first to do it, and I won't be the last. I have nothing against SC or Chaffee. I just don't think they will win tonight.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 5:11 PM
  • As a matter of fact Cheese, I was just interested in how you come to your conclusions. Thanks for analyzing my post though.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 5:14 PM
  • You should come to the game tonite Cheese and then you would have a better idea of how good (or bad) all four of those teams are. I'll save you a seat.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 5:16 PM

Wasn't analyzing anything Ronnie. My comment came off the wrong way. Wasn't trying to be rude or anything, sorry if it came off that way.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 5:17 PM

I'll be at the Hayti game tonight!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 5:18 PM
  • No prob. You know me dude. It doesn't take much!...LOL Seriously, are you going to SCC tonite?

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 5:19 PM
  • Have fun. Hope you get a barn burner! Hope I do too!

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 5:20 PM
  • Dustin

PB plays at Jackson.

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 5:56 PM
  • Risco 27 cooter 7 after one

-- Posted by proud pa pa on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 5:56 PM
  • 60-14 at half

-- Posted by proud pa pa on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 6:09 PM

NMCC JV up 33-32 at half.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 6:21 PM
  • Risco 100 cooter 44. Final

-- Posted by proud pa pa on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 6:43 PM

46-36 NMCC headed to da foeth quarter.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 6:44 PM

NMCC JV wins 59-46

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 6:57 PM

Oran leads Chaffee 32-27 at the half!

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 7:35 PM

NMCC up 17-10 after uno.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 7:36 PM

Hayti leads Rivercrest 41-19 at half.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 7:51 PM

NMCC up 36-31 at the half

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 7:54 PM
  • Bernie leads Bloomfield 45-36 at half

-- Posted by bluemules89 on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 8:04 PM
  • Buck...who is NMCC playing?

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 8:11 PM
  • Leopold 86

Richland 36

-- Posted by Cottontop on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 8:13 PM

Oh sorry, Cairo IL. NMCC up 60-44 after 3.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 8:19 PM

Oran defeats Chaffee 65-55.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 8:24 PM
  • advance up 8 with 2:00 to go over notre dame

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 8:34 PM
  • Looks like Chaffee played Oran pretty tough...

-- Posted by waw1981 on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 8:36 PM

NMCC beats Cairo 73-54. Mostly subs in the 4th

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 8:37 PM
  • advance 62 Notre Dame 49 Final

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 8:37 PM
  • Any news on Saxony girls vs Cape Central?

-- Posted by netimeneplace on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 8:41 PM
  • didnt kennett and bluff play tonight, if so, any score

-- Posted by kdjones on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 8:43 PM
  • Any jv results from Scott miss tourn?

-- Posted by netimeneplace on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 8:45 PM
  • Bernie 73 Bloomfield 67 final

-- Posted by bluemules89 on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 8:49 PM
  • Saxony 53 Cape 40. Girls final.

-- Posted by netimeneplace on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 8:59 PM
  • Huge win for Advance. Wonder how that'll shake up Sideline's Top 10?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 9:00 PM

Any word on Scott City and SCC?

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 9:01 PM

A shakeup will definitely commence Preach.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 9:02 PM
  • Wow. Congrats to Advance!

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 9:04 PM
  • Not real surprised by that one.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 9:05 PM
  • Good win Advane!!!

-- Posted by waw1981 on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 9:06 PM
  • Keeping this years ND roster program. Will be interesting to see how many names end up starters next year who aren't on this years program

-- Posted by lastride67 on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 9:11 PM

SC up 39-27 @the half

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 9:12 PM
  • Scott City 39 SCC 27 at half.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 9:12 PM

Looks like I was wrong so far about SC losing to SCC.

Hayti over Rivercrest 69-59

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 9:18 PM
  • Does anyone know the score to the Bernie/Bloomfield JV game?

-- Posted by semolian on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 9:20 PM
  • Not sure of the score. Bernie JV won.

-- Posted by bluemules89 on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 9:22 PM
  • kdjones, Kennett and Poplar Bluff didn't play tonight, that was my mistake above. The game will be played on Feb. 19 according to DW in KenMo above.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 9:46 PM

SCC up 68-64 with 3:42 to go.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 9:51 PM
  • Anyone have an update from the BRLT semi-finals?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 9:54 PM
  • thanks man

-- Posted by kdjones on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 9:54 PM
  • Keep the updates coming Larry.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 9:55 PM

This text sponsored by the Morley Cafe where you go in hungry and leave smelling like cigarette smoke. SCC wins 76-72.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 10:07 PM
  • Ha! Thank ya sir.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 10:11 PM
  • Hey Buck, how many did Jimerson have

-- Posted by Warrhead on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 10:11 PM
  • MDK's highly aggrevated in you right now Larry. I couldn't make it tonight. I heard from a realiable source that Oran played a sloppy game and the officiating wasn't the best?

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 10:11 PM
  • Congrats to Advance by the way. A good win coming off a couple of toss losses.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 10:13 PM
  • Tonight's ND @Advance game was just a fun game. The crowd was very energetic and the Advance team came out of the gate knowing they were going to win this game. ND's 2 biggest problems were guarding Barr and their shots weren't falling. Good win by the Hornets and best of luck to both teams the rest of this year!

-- Posted by semo501 on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 10:24 PM

Warrhead, a bunch! I believe he had 11 of the 17 first quarter points. Prolly 20 by halftime. He didn't play but like 1 minute in the 4th. I would say he had close to 30 if not in the 30's.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 10:40 PM
  • The ND teams 3 or 4 years ago relied on defense and a smart offensive set to win. Knocking down some three's was just icing on the cake. These days, they seem to absolutely live by their outside shooting. Not a good way to be.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 10:41 PM
  • Not sure if this still applies, but the sort of old saying was, "Live by the three, die by the three."

-- Posted by Areaguy on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 10:43 PM
  • Hats off to SCC. They showed alot of heart tonite. SC has nothing to hang their heads about either. Awesome game!

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 10:43 PM
  • Ronnie1, what turned the tide in SCC's favor late in the game?

Also, KFVS reported that in the BRLT semi-finals, South Iron defeated East Carter County and Clearwater knocked off Winona. Sorry I didn't write down the scores, but both teams won comfortably.

Also, Bell City won its second game of the season over Zalma, but again I didn't write the final down.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 10:50 PM

BRLT SEMI'S South Iron wins72-59 over east carter and clearwater wins 70-58 over winona seeds held form they will play for the third time saturday night on clearwater's home floor for championship!

-- Posted by porchswing on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 10:59 PM

Bell City 69 Zalma 56

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 11:04 PM
  • Preach...I really think the tide started to turn at the end of the second quarter. After knocking down two FTs for a technical foul, we turned the ball over for a layup and one with just a couple seconds left for SCC to pull to six points. SC had held as much as a 13 point lead in the first half. In the second half SCC came out strong and SC missed a few open 3s. They took a small lead and with about 1:30 left we had a steal and probable layup but were called for a foul. I'm very biased but it was questionable (a back tip). That was the play that changed the game imo. (potential 4 point swing) SCC held on and made all their FTs down the stretch. It was a great game and both teams played well I thought.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 11:29 PM
  • I have to correct myself, Preach. The lead at the half was 12 for SC not six.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 12:06 AM
  • sc vs. scc first half sc was lights out from the 3 point line second half not so much!!! pretty much what happen .. good game to watch..

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 12:26 AM
  • The Advance win against Notre Dame should be enough to move them into the state rankings. But we will see what happens.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 3:41 AM
  • Was all of Notre Dame's players available for the game?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 3:42 AM
  • Yes, but ND's coach has apparently made the decision to start his upperclassmen and bring all the sophomores off the bench.

-- Posted by semo501 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 6:42 AM
  • semolian...you were asking about the Berne vs Bloomfield JV game earler. Bernie won 55-45. The game was 28-10 Bernie at half with Caleb Ellenburg scoring 23 in the half. Ellenburg got into foul bad trouble and Bloomfield made good comeback to make it a lot closer. Actually pulled within 6 or 7 points I believe.

-- Posted by paulm on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 7:49 AM
  • Clearwater and SI should be another good game, but this time it's on C'water's home floor!

-- Posted by tooldogging on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 7:51 AM
  • Can't believe ND lost to advance, thought they were a lot better than that. So I guess if they don't hit 9 or 10 threes in the first half, they can be beat

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:32 AM
  • Chaffee played a strong game against Oran. Chaffee is scrappy. Congrats Oran for holding on!

SC vs SCC was a very fun game to watch. Sc lit up the 3's to start. SCC got better as the game progressed. The Porter kid lit it up from 10 foot out the entire second half.

Cograts to Oran and SCC on the wins. Championship should be a good one.

-- Posted by UFO on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 9:05 AM
  • Tonight's Tournament Key Games:

1. #1 Charleston vs. #4 Madison, IL, Superman Classic semi-finals, Massac County High School, Metropolis, IL, 6:15 p.m.

2. #3 Scott City vs. #4 Chaffee, S-MCT 3rd Place Game, SCC High School, 5:30 p.m.

3. #1 Oran vs. #2 SCC, S-MCT Championship Game, SCC High School, 8:30 p.m.

4. #3 Winona vs. #5 East Carter County, BRLT 3rd Place Game, Clearwater High School, 8:00 p.m.

Thoughts and predictions on these games or any of the other key games tonight?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 12:05 PM
  • Tonight's Tournament Key Games:

1. #1 Charleston vs. #4 Madison, IL, Superman Classic semi-finals, Massac County High School, Metropolis, IL, 6:15 p.m.

2. #3 Scott City vs. #4 Chaffee, S-MCT 3rd Place Game, SCC High School, 5:30 p.m.

3. #1 Oran vs. #2 SCC, S-MCT Championship Game, SCC High School, 8:30 p.m.

4. #3 Winona vs. #5 East Carter County, BRLT 3rd Place Game, Clearwater High School, 8:00 p.m.

Thoughts and predictions on these games or any of the other key games tonight?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 12:05 PM
  • Sorry for the double post!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 12:06 PM
  • I predict two close games in Morley tonite. Both toss ups imo. My heart is with SC in their game of course and I think SCC might just eek out a win. I wouldn't bet my house on either game though.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 2:57 PM

Is everyone forgetting that Oran beat SCc by thirty the last time they played? I know this game is at SCC but I don't think circumstances have changed that much since the last time these schools have hooked up unless I'm missing something. That isn't directed only at you Ron.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 3:01 PM
  • Sideline, I saw that game and absolutely everything went right for Oran and wrong for SCC. It could go either way but there is no way Oran will ever beat SCC by 30 again this year.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 3:07 PM
  • I'll guarantee there isn't one person in Oran even that thinks they're 30 points better than SCC.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 3:09 PM
  • idk the specifics but coach Staples didn't play Banks to start the 3rd quarter and when he went back in with 1:00 to go in the third it was a 20+ point game so SCC folded.. Oran was realistically about 10-15 points better that day.. and that still is very impressive, I think they'll win again bc I don't see SCC controlling Heuring on the boards

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 3:53 PM
  • I think SCC will give Oran a better game at home tonight, but I think the Eagles are just a better team this year and will win the game.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 3:57 PM
  • Oran seems to get better as the year goes on, they should move the OIT to February. It is a shame they have not won thier own tourament in 40 years.

-- Posted by igobybob on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 5:00 PM
  • Does anyone know how the jv 3rd place game went at SCC?

-- Posted by netimeneplace on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 6:18 PM

Please post score updates!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 7:22 PM
  • Anyone know anything about Sikeston and Kennett? Is there a station to listen to?

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 7:24 PM

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 7:26 PM
  • Also 92.9 the river from sikeston

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 7:29 PM
  • Ok thanks son said it wasn't on 92.9

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 7:32 PM

NMCC up 17-7 on dexter after 1

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 7:41 PM

Charleston 84

Madison IL 62

Final

Superman Classic Semifinal

-- Posted by birdfan on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 7:45 PM
  • 22-16 sikeston end of 1st

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 7:51 PM

Thanks everyone. Keep them coming

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 7:52 PM
  • 26-21 sikeston 5:48 left in 2 nd

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 7:54 PM
  • Thanks ktown I appreciate the score updates. Son is at his dads not keeping me informed too great

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 7:58 PM
  • The best player in south east Missouri came to play tonight, that would be Mitchell

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:03 PM

NMCC up 35-13 at halftime

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:03 PM
  • Bernie leads Puxico 36-28 at half

-- Posted by bluemules89 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:04 PM
  • Bernie 36 puxico 28 at half

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:04 PM
  • 35-36 sikeston at the half

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:06 PM

Sounds like a game there ktown! Trying to get that extra point ;)

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:08 PM

Bad half played by Sikeston defensively. The shooting was there but they are putting up a few too many early shots and JT Jones got hit with a couple early fouls that have knocked him off his game. I expect an interesting second half.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:09 PM
  • Wow! That's a close game

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:09 PM
  • My statement about Mitchell is just my opinion Ruffin is playing great also. He has 17 hit several 3's. Mitchell has 13 . Great game so far. Hopefully kennett can keep it together in the third period. We will see

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:10 PM
  • Risco 17 Holcomb 12 after -1

-- Posted by proud pa pa on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:16 PM
  • Ruffin is killing us on 3's

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:22 PM
  • 45-46 knnt

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:23 PM
  • 46-47 sikeston 3:15 in third left

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:25 PM
  • Both teams playing hard, great game. Give me some bonus points knnt. 50-50

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:31 PM
  • Risco 29 Holcomb 25 at half

-- Posted by proud pa pa on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:31 PM
  • 56-50 sikeston end of third

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:32 PM
  • Wats the sikeston score now

-- Posted by head coach on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:34 PM
  • 58-63 sikeston 5:58 left

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:37 PM

NMCC defeats Dexter 52-28. All subs in the 4th.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:38 PM
  • 66-64 sikeston

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:40 PM
  • PB beats marshfield 74-65. Mules move to 11-3

-- Posted by Mulearky on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:42 PM
  • 69-64 sikeston 4:36 left. Difference so far 3's by sikeston

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:42 PM
  • Who won JV?

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:49 PM
  • Bernie 67 puxico 63

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:49 PM
  • 76-79 sikeston 1:25 left

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:50 PM
  • Risco 44 holcom38 after three

-- Posted by proud pa pa on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:56 PM
  • Final 84-80 sikeston . Knnt showed they can play with the big boys tonight. Great game for both teams . Mitchell had 31 Ruffin had 25

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:59 PM

Never had a doubt Sikeston would win. Making it out alive tonight with Kennett coming to play the way they did can only help this team.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 9:09 PM
  • Does anyone know the Senath and South Pem score?

-- Posted by no one on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 9:10 PM

Chaffee-Scott City!? Pville-Malden!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 9:12 PM
  • Didn't ND beat Kennett by like 25? I don't typically like to compare scores, but it's interesting.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 9:17 PM
  • Ok, I see where it was 14. They were up by 25 at one point, but that wasn't the final margin.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 9:18 PM
  • ND beat Kennett 63-49 at ND on Dec 11

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 9:20 PM
  • Holcomb beats Risco 56-51

-- Posted by sm0723 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 9:21 PM
  • Where is the Class 4 District 1 tourney this year?

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 9:21 PM

Dexter

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 9:22 PM
  • Holcomb 56 Risco 51

-- Posted by proud pa pa on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 9:22 PM

At Dexter this year.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 9:22 PM
  • Sikeston over Kennett by 4, ND over Kennett by 14...neither are overwhelming margins. Makes districts a lot more interesting.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 9:24 PM
  • KFVS says Chaffee over SC......

-- Posted by pmstewert420 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 9:25 PM

At a neutral site, I would put the order as Sikeston, Cape or Kennett, then Notre Dame.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 9:25 PM
  • Chaffee 59 - SC 55

-- Posted by pmstewert420 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 9:26 PM
  • Update on the SCC-Oran game thanks to the Standard Democrat....Oran up 48-34 at half. Oran has nine 3-pointers in the first half.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 9:26 PM
  • I keep forgetting about Cape. Which is probably ok, I absolutely have no faith in that team. I feel like they just coast in the games I've watched.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 9:27 PM
  • Great game tonight. Wish the out come was different. And just fora side note the blog about stopping Ruffin from dribbling doesn't work when he is draining three's on you all night (even give credit for the two that were bank shots). The Jones kid was on tonight too.

-- Posted by mule1993 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 9:34 PM
  • Sideline I knew it was a huge challenge for kennett tonight but I think our boys grew up tonight. Sikeston was the better team and deserves the win, I am so proud of our boys and hope they earned a little respect for playing well against a quality well coached team in sikeston. Your balanced three point shooting was the difference, we traded too many 3's for dueces. Great game it was fun to watch .

-- Posted by attitude and effort on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 9:40 PM
  • Oran 75 SCC 50 after 3.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 9:46 PM

It was a lot of fun tonight squawdad. Credit to your team.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 9:54 PM
  • Oran 90 SCC 64 final

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 9:54 PM
  • sideline, are you talking about district with Sikeston, cape or Kennett and then ND? cape is 5a I believe if that's what you were referring to if not my bad

-- Posted by Johnny "Drama" on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 10:04 PM
  • Sikeston-Kennett was a tough game to watch. Hats off to Kennett. They played lights out. I've seen them play several times, and this is by far the best I have seen from them.

Congrats to Sikeston on the win in a hostile environment at Kennett's homecoming.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 10:07 PM
  • Just like I said..ruffin is comfortable shooting the ball rather than bringing it up the court..he's a shooting gaurd..that leaves him open for 3's , running without the ball off picks and back door layups..

-- Posted by theotherside23 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 10:13 PM
  • Cape moved down a class.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 10:14 PM

Cape is Class 4 for at least this year and next.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 10:14 PM

Ruffin set up his own shot tonight. He is the best option as point guard.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 10:29 PM
  • Kennett played great tonight. Sikes had 12 3's, Kennett none. Sikes had trouble with Primer down low, he had 19, and Mitchell is the real deal. He had 31. Ruffin was also great tonight, had 25. Kennett had 2 freshmen and a soph playing significant minutes. Sikes deserves credit for finding a way to win tonight but Kennett made a statement as well. Great game.

-- Posted by bball79 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 10:32 PM

BRLT third place game winona easy 68-47 over east carter!

-- Posted by porchswing on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 10:36 PM
  • I'm sure he wasnt pressured like he has been a couple weeks ago..only time will tell.

-- Posted by theotherside23 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 10:38 PM
  • Hostile ha ha , it was court warming homecoming is in the fall. I will agree the refs let them play tonight. Was glad to see kennett not intimidated by sikeston pressure and played tough. I thought mitchell stepped up scoring 31 against one of the better teams in the state. Sikeston had an answer for every run we made though and spreads the court really well.

-- Posted by attitude and effort on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 10:42 PM
  • In other news, Oran's Kody Moore put up over 40 tonight im pretty sure. He shot 10-13 from behind the arc. Oran had at least 15 3's. The greatest shooting display against an above average team I might have ever seen.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 10:43 PM

No one is going to pressure him like Maplewood did in combination with having the general defense MRH did. No one else on this team has the ball handling or vision on the court for Sikeston that Vashawn has.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 10:44 PM
  • yah yah thank you.. didn't realize that

-- Posted by Johnny "Drama" on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 10:49 PM
  • Well I'm pretty sure teams that have the ability to pressure him will ..I really think that will happen on the 31st..he will be made into a shooting gaurd on that night.. The jays will be ready for this one

-- Posted by theotherside23 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 10:54 PM
  • Holcomb 56, Risco 51

Sikeston 84, Kennett 80

Delta C-7 59, Gideon 53

Bernie 67, Puxico 63

Oran 90,Scott County Central 64

New Madrid county central 54, Dexter 28

-- Posted by bleachermania on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 11:03 PM

For you Charleston fans and others who might be interested, John Burroughs lost tonight to Class 2 Crossroads, 63-57. Burroughs played without its star, who was out following a procedure to remove bone chips from his knee. Burroughs was ranked ahead of Charleston in the most recent poll. Crossroads is now 14-2. Might get a few votes in the Class 2 poll.

Didn't get a score on top-ranked Madison Prep, but they should have beaten McCluer tonight in the Belleville East Tournament. If they did, they will have a very tough test against Belleville East and 4-star Illini recruit Malcolm Hill tomorrow.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 11:10 PM

Wow that is not a good score for st.vincent come district time crossroads sounds like they are really rolling.

-- Posted by porchswing on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 11:21 PM
  • Hey Unc: Awful quiet on here from Northeast Scott County tonight.

-- Posted by gostlrams on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 11:34 PM
  • Bernie slumping? Thier scores have been unimpressive recently

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 11:37 PM
  • Unc -- Kody Moore had 31 points with six three's. Seth Ressel with 21 and four three's. Alex Heuring scored 19. In all, Oran with 11 3-pointers.

I've got to say, Alex Heuring continues to impress me. Not an overly athletic kid, but he as great footwork around the rim and great hands for a kid his size. Oran played very well tonight.

-- Posted by StatChecker00 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 11:38 PM
  • Other Friday night scores:

1. Portageville 64, Malden 60.

2. Notre Dame 75, Saxony Lutheran 63.

3. St. Vincent 54, Herculaneum 33.

4. Richland 76, Zalma 46.

5. Oak Ridge 59, Greenville 16.

6. #3 Massac County 63, #2 Carbondale 55 (Superman Classic Semi-Finals).

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 11:43 PM

Madison Prep drills McCluer, 81-49. So tomorrow in final it's #2 StL large school vs. #1 StL small school.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 11:45 PM
  • Saturday's Key Games:

1. #1 Charleston vs. #3 Massac County, Superman Classic Championship Game, Massac County High School, Metropolis, IL, 7:45 p.m.

2. #1 South Iron vs. #2 Clearwater, BRLT Championship Game, Clearwater High School, Piedmont, MO, 8:00 p.m.

3. Cape Central vs. Rogersville, 5th Annual Laker Shoot-Out, Camdenden High School, Camdenton, MO, 5:00 p.m.

4. South Pemiscot at Kennett, 1:00 p.m.

5. Risco vs. Hayti at TRCC (time unknown).

What are your thoughts or predictions?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 11:58 PM

You forgot about Jackson-Poplar Bluff.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 12:11 AM
  • Sideline, dadscatfood reported earlier that the Jackson-Poplar Bluff game was re-scheduled for Saturday, Feb. 9. Is that not right?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 12:21 AM

Ohh. Sorry I misread. Thought it was for this Saturday.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 12:24 AM
  • According to MaxPreps, the Risco-Hayti game at TRCC is at 5:00 p.m.

Also according to MaxPreps, the Gideon @ Holcomb game has been re-scheduled for 11:00 a.m. Saturday morning.

Finally, St. Vincent at Perryville with tip-time at 4:30 p.m. Saturday afternoon.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 12:32 AM
  • Geez kennett was awesome tonite, kudos to mitchell and the indians. District seeds should be sike, cape, kenn, nd. Kennett lost to nd at nd but nd was unconscious from 3 in first half that game. Kennett much more athletic and nd is regressing as season goes on.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 12:38 AM
  • Statchecker, my apologies. I had somebody tell me (confidently and not from Oran) that he shot 10-13 from behind the arc. I thought that sounded a little extreme at the time but its hard to keep pace on a night like tonight.

I agree completely on Heuring. His strength and fundamentals tie him together well. He just keeps getting better as the season progresses. I remember watching him for the first time in an summer open gym going into his junior year. It was one of those deals you didn't know what to expect since he had not played since half-way through his freshman year before he got hurt. Expectations were high for him after losing Morrow to graduation the previous year. After watching one or two scrimmage games, I soon realized Oran would have no problem replacing Morrow down-low. I even had somebody snicker at me when I made the remark he'll be an all-state caliber player come his senior year. The irony.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 1:12 AM

Kennett vs Sikeston was a great game tonight but to all those who want to look at the stat lines and read to much into it without actually seeing the game.

Primer is definitely good player with nice shot and soft touch to complement his superior size but he was by no means a dominating force in tonight's game. He was enabled to succeed at times because of his skill and the fact that JT Jones was in foul trouble two minutes into the first quarter.

Mitchell is the real deal and that's about all you can really say about him which is high praise. He tried to take over but I feel like it became 3 on1 once the teams starting trading scores in the 4th. Bratcher, Jones, and Ruffin all had big games( JT had more of a big 2nd half actually) they each shared the responsibility of scoring and possessing the ball in the 4th which will be key for Sikeston when playing close games going forward.

Overall Kennett and Sikeston was great game and I'm looking forward to possibly seeing the rematch at districts or next year.

-- Posted by Bunk on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 1:40 AM

@ otherside How many Sikeston games have you watched this year? I'm just asking because for those of us who have seen 75% or more of Sikeston's games can tell you that.....

a) Vashawn is a "true" PG and all because he has an accurate jump

shot doesn't mean he is better suited at the 2

b) Sikeston's offense runs best when Vashawn controls the game as a PG

c) Vashawn gets his OWN shot of the dribble or by driving to basket and he rarely gets off the ball on offense to get set up by someone else

d) Vashawn is an excellent facilitator and makes what in my opinion can be qualified as two Flip Pressey passes a game. You know those passes that make you double take because you had no idea someone could get that ball to that person at that angle.

e) Vashawn also has one of the best jump shots in SEMO so don't hate on the kid because he can score

-- Posted by Bunk on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 1:50 AM
  • Kennett vs Sikeston was definitely one of the best games I've seen this year, besides the Charleston and Dyer County game and the BCT. The 3 shooters from Sikeston are amazing, but Kennett showed they can play tonight. Districts should be interesting.

-- Posted by JH4 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 2:44 AM
  • I might catch the Kennett-South Pemiscot game at Kennett at 1 p.m. Saturday and then drive up to Piedmont to watch South Iron play Clearwater at 8 p.m.

Is anyone else planning on doing that Saturday?

Does anyone know what time Risco plays Hayti at Poplar Bluff?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 3:15 AM
  • sportsnerd

I think Puxico is a team to watch. I wouldn't be surprised to see Puxico win Class 2, District 2. I think they are one of the most underrated teams in southeast Missouri.

I recall one season Advance came out of nowhere and got all the way to the final four. Puxico is capaable of being that kind of team in March if they can get past the winner of Class 2, District 1.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 4:22 AM
  • Chaffee is another team capable of sneaking its way through the regular-season and shocking most with a deep postseason run in the Class 2 playoffs.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 4:32 AM
  • Preacher that is correct, the Risco/Hayti game at TRC is at 5 .

-- Posted by jpaawhite on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 8:28 AM
  • Saw Madison Prep last night demolish McCluer, and going tonight as they really get tested against Malcolm Hill and Belleville East, I have watched alot of basketball, and I am sticking with what Ive said all year, best two teams Ive seen in state are Nixa, and madison prep.

-- Posted by stlscott on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 8:43 AM
  • IMO...Kennett really got up for the #1 team in Class 4 and, at times, Sikeston seemed like they overlooked them. I also thought that the Dogs shot selection wasn't the best. It was like we were thinking..."I can score 30 too" in reference to Mitchell. They were trying to match Mitchell rather than run the offense. The Dogs D wasn't as good as it has been. They seemed to lack a little intensity. Overall, it was a great ball game and the Dogs escaped with a W. The Dogs HAVE to expect EVERYONE'S best game and best effort. "We gotta get our minds right, too." Lol

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 9:24 AM
  • Just an FYI, cirithungol...ND hit eight 3's against Kennett. Nothing off the charts really.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 9:28 AM
  • Nice Championship Oran. You've proved it. Oran can Flat Play!

Congrats, Chaffee. Scrappy Team.

-- Posted by UFO on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 9:31 AM
  • I'm in agreement with Rocket on his point, Sikeston had better stay focused from here on out, they have squeaked by some teams, I think they should have beat handily, all it takes is one of those games in the playoffs where the intensity isn't there and they will be going home.

-- Posted by stlscott on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 9:42 AM
  • I was way off on Oran/SCC. I still don't know if I underestimated Oran or overestimated SCC. Maybe a little of both.

I had to leave after the SC game. I almost stroked out! Congrats to all the winners.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 10:22 AM
  • If ND only hit 8 3's it was all in the first half, I know you guys might not want to admit it but kennett played last night like what they have been capable of the whole season. I doubt sikeston played down to kennett. Kennett has several freshman that play varsity and they will only get better. Both teams played good last night. Sikeston didn't have an off game, it was just a hard fought game by both teams

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 10:29 AM
  • Not if. They did hit 8. Read the game story.

I'm hoping you're right ktown. A Kennett-Cape district final would be quite a twist. I think it's been at least 8 years since anyone other than Sikeston and Notre Dame were in the finals.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 10:39 AM

Offensively, Sikeston was fine. Defensively, they were not on their game tonight. Part of that is on the skill of Mitchell and Primer. They are stud players. Part of it was also on the early fouls on Jones who couldn't get going defensively after that. That really hurts when one of your two forwards is missing major time against a team that primarily relies on working the ball inside. It was not Sikeston's best effort last night.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 10:41 AM

Dustin i don't think Puxico can beat Winona or Thayer because Twin rivers handled Puxico easy and clearwater beat twin rivers and after seeing clearwater and winona play twice games were alot closer than score indicated. IMO!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 10:50 AM

I am going to go up and watch that game at clearwater to everybody i talk to say's clearwater will win tonight on their home floor.If S.I.beats them again with evry thing stacked against them i will start to believe that this team is good.

-- Posted by porchswing on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 10:55 AM
  • Bernie has been missing a lot of free throws lately. If they had hit the free throws several of the games would have been won by bigger margins. If this doesn't improve with their upcoming schedule, I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose close games. However, they are a solid team and usually find a way to win.

Bernie will rarely win by huge margins. The coaches seem confident with smaller leads, and they run off a lot of the clock setting up the next shot throughout the game instead of rushing to take the first available shot.

-- Posted by bluemules89 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 11:08 AM
  • I agree ktown. I left lasnites game thinkn, geez, i dont wanna play kennett in a one vs four seed in districts!! And farmboy i was basing my "unconscious" description on how the blue catholics have been playing lately. They are clearly not capable of hitting 8 treys in a half at this point in the season. Kennett, i hope, earned the 3 seed lasnite!!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 11:09 AM
  • Yeah I'm not at all impressed with them this year.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 11:13 AM

Preacher I am starting to come around on your side on ss rankings a little after holcomb beat kennett by 4 in a big game and sikeston only beat them by 4.It seems like to much is being put on the scale for the bigger schools and with the advance win this bolsters your argument.IMO!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 12:33 PM
  • Who won the Clearwater South Iron Game

-- Posted by country man on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 12:45 PM

That game is being played tonight at 8pm up at clearwater!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 12:47 PM
  • Bunk..well I've been to alot sikeston basketball games, matter fact I walk to them bc I've next to the sikeston field house ..never denied that the kid could shoot the ball well..matter of fact I give credit to sikeston, but not the way u would like me 2..Me and some of the guys that I hooped against that played for sikeston give each other school basketball programs props, but we also like to let one another know our opponents weakness ..bunk u need to read pass post before u go off my most recent one, which was not a diss

-- Posted by theotherside23 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 1:15 PM
  • North Tech defeated the Kennett varsity girls 64-37.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 2:21 PM
  • Correction. Kennett girls lost 64-33.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 2:32 PM
  • Anyone get the knnt vs south pem score

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 2:38 PM
  • Text sponsored by First National Bank. The Kennett and South Pemiscot varsity boys are tied at 19 after the first quarter.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 2:48 PM
  • Kennett up 37-33 at half

-- Posted by sm0723 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 3:02 PM
  • Even though Mizzou is missing Bowers, I may have to issue a fraud alert on this team, they got flat beat down today.

-- Posted by stlscott on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 3:03 PM
  • Text sponsored by First National Bank. The Kennett varsity boys lead South Pemiscot 37-33 at halftime.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 3:04 PM
  • Kennett up 55-40 after 3

-- Posted by sm0723 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 3:28 PM
  • Text sponsored by First National Bank. The Kennett varsity boys lead SouthPemiscot 55-40 at the end of the third quarter.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 3:29 PM
  • 57-51 Kennett. 5:28 4th

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 3:34 PM
  • 62-51 Kennett. 4:21 4th.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 3:37 PM
  • Text sponsored by First National Bank. The Kennett varsity boys defeated South Pemiscot 77-66.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 3:51 PM
  • Yah its becoming apparent that mazoo is obviously not meant for sec hoops as well. What an embarrassment to that fine institution of higher learning. Mediocre mazoo. Kinda has a nice ring to it.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 4:00 PM
  • Really u take the leading scorer off any team and they are going to struggle. Now I don't think they would've beat Folrida even with Bowers but it would have been a better game and they wouldn't have lost to Ole Miss if he had played that game. If Bowers was healthy they would be 3-1 instead of 2-2 in the SEC. I would take that

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 4:13 PM

Yes, let's just give teams hypothetical wins as if they were definitely going to happen.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 4:18 PM
  • They'll be ok when Bowers is back. But their inability to adjust in the meantime is pathetic. What the heck kind of offense is that? I've seen church league teams with more organization.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 4:22 PM
  • Ole miss dominated, bowers woulda kept it under 15. Jabari, keion, neger whatsisname, all inconsistent. Sorry mazoo fans, wait til next year. Again.....

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 4:27 PM

@ Otherside Maybe you have had better posts in the past, but since you did say what you said in this thread I am entitled to respond to it as though it is your current opinion since it was the most recent post I read.

To be fair it's not just you that was directed at but all the folks on the Vashawn isn't a PG but actually a 2 guard bandwagon that sprung after the Maplewood loss. You also did say that Vashawn couldn't get his own shot and preferred spotting up to shoot. Either own your comments, don't post them if you don't believe them, or articulate them better.

-- Posted by Bunk on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 4:50 PM

Yea, bc you can judge how the season will finish in the middle of January, right? Mizzou should just turn their jerseys in? Did you think the Cardinals would win the World Series two seasons ago? Did you think Kaepernick would have the 49ers in the NFC Title game? Sports are too unpredictable. That's what makes them fun to watch. Try judging whether Mizzou had a successful year in the SEC in a month.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 4:55 PM
  • If Sikeston continues to shoot unneeded 3's, rather than feed the ball to the post players, Charleston will beat the Bulldogs by a double digit margin. It's okay to take the 3's when your shot is falling, but 12 out of 33 is absurd! This was a good win for the Dogs, but come on man! We have got to have better shot selection if we plan on making a deep run in the playoffs!

-- Posted by Highriser on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 4:58 PM
  • With Bowers Pressy is a better player and he makes everybody else better with Bowers on the floor.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 5:02 PM
  • That's a pretty high amount for a high school team to be shooting, but 33% is really pretty decent for high school. The downside is I believe Ruffin was like 7 of 12. That means the rest of the team was 5/21...or 24%. Not good.

What would bug me more if I was a Sikeston fan would be the 3's I've seen go up from Abe Dirnberger range on a fairly regular basis. Why??? In my opinion, this isn't a team that NEEDS to shoot 3's to win, and certainly aren't consistent enough to be throwing up 25 footers.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 5:04 PM
  • Ole Miss is a good team, they would have beat Mizzou with Bowers, and does anybody else think that Phil Pressey is way overated, another ten turnovers and he can't shoot.

-- Posted by stlscott on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 5:05 PM
  • Pretty bold assumption...especially considering it was a 15 point game, and Bowers averages more than that.

Won't disagree about Pressey.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 5:11 PM

Ole Miss plays at Mizzou February 9th. You'll have a better idea at that point of the season and I doubt Ole Miss wins by 15. In fact, don't be surprised if Mizzou wins.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 5:12 PM
  • Farmboy06, you are dead on in your observation. This team has too much speed and a good low post player in JT. So why jack up so many 3's?

-- Posted by Highriser on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 5:19 PM
  • I don't mean to come off as criticizing their style of play. Obviously it's working. I have no problem with them shooting 3's. Merely stating that it's not necessary, and especially not the lengthier ones.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 5:21 PM

They are settling for too many early 3's. They get shooting happy sometimes and forget to let the inside game set up the outside game. JT was not on at all against Kennett though until the fourth so the 3's kept the team in it.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 5:28 PM
  • Stlscott, what times are the Madison Prep games you mentioned earlier?

-- Posted by semo501 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 5:29 PM
  • Hey yah-yah u forgot one: Was it over when the germans bombed pearl harbor? Hahaha!!! But seriously, an excellent team can show promise and energy and competetiveness without their star when they lose. Because mazoo absolutely sucks without bowers and have zero energy against good teams that leads me to the conclusion they are not excellent but will finish at best with ten sec wins, be a 6-9 seed in tourney, bow out in first or second round forever and ever amen.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 5:31 PM

Mizzou will be closer to probably 13 or 14 SEC wins. After the top tier in the conference, there is a major drop off and another one to the bottom four or five teams.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 5:38 PM
  • Let's just beat Kentucky...that will make me happy.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 5:55 PM

Lunardi cirith, come back with an assessment in late February. Not too many teams could have gone into Florida today without their star player and kept the game respectable.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 6:04 PM
  • Yea I agree with Yah -yah , also I dont think anyone would have beat florida today, but I do not like the way Mizzou is trending at all.

-- Posted by stlscott on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 6:27 PM
  • Madison and bell west starts at 8, ill try to provide updates folks.

-- Posted by stlscott on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 6:30 PM

Sidenote, Sorry I couldn't let the pearly harbor thing go. It was the Japanese bud haha

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 6:47 PM

PEARL! I guess if I'm going to correct someone, I should be able to spell pearl lol smh, so much fail.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 6:48 PM
  • It's a movie quote.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 6:49 PM
  • Hayti over Risco 67 to 42.

-- Posted by Royal Flush on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 6:50 PM
  • The Hayti varsity boys defeated Risco 67-42.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 6:55 PM
  • Rip Stan the Man the greatest cardinal ever.

-- Posted by stlscott on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 6:58 PM
  • RIP STAN THE MAN

-- Posted by pe-co85 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 7:12 PM
  • Bunk..if u would go bck you could see that Im new to this. Semoball blog..so I don't have many to read

-- Posted by theotherside23 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 7:43 PM
  • Charleston defeated Massac County 70-52 to win the Superman Classic for the 2nd year in a row. Michael Hull was named Tournament MVP.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 9:36 PM

Clearwater beats South Iron the third time was the charm 70-64 clearwater had built a big lead but s.i. made furious come back totaly dominated fourth quarter but ran out of time big crowd nice game both look pretty good to me!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 11:51 PM
  • St. Vincent 50, Perryville 41. Good win for the Indians and also for Clearwater. Does anyone know how Cape Central did today against Rogersville?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 12:06 AM

Dustin did you go up to clearwater curious as to what your thoughts were!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 12:10 AM
  • Also, if anyone knows how Park Hills Central did against Farmington last Friday night, a score would be much appreciated.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 12:15 AM
  • Farmington ended Central's 11 game winning streak, 59-53.

-- Posted by richierich on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 12:24 AM

Preach Farmington won that game at farmington 59-53!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 12:27 AM
  • I didn't make the trip.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 12:29 AM

OH ok!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 12:31 AM
  • 12-33 from 3 pt line is absurd? Would shooting 55% from 2-pt land on those 33 shots be absurd, cause that's what it would take to equal the production from 3.

-- Posted by richierich on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 12:37 AM
  • I didnt expect mazoo to win either road game but i expected them to keep it under 20 and at least look wellcoached. Coaches and players were completely embarrassed. The ucla road loss was a good loss. These last two road losses were as bad as it gets. I remember frank saying back in early dec to just wait til january when this team starts to learn to play together. Sorry frank, it aint happnin. It'll be another one or two and done in march as is the norm at mediocre mazoo.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 1:27 AM
  • Belleville east 76

Madison Prep 68

Great ballgame both teams loaded with talent, good luck to anyone in class 3, your gonna have hands full with this madison team.

-- Posted by stlscott on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 7:27 AM
  • Hayti 67, Risco 42

Kennett 77, South Pemiscot 66

Does anyone know if Holcomb and Gideon played on Saturday?

-- Posted by bleachermania on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 10:32 AM
  • Nice win for SV over PHS plus got to see the Go Bananas chant several times. Of course we saved the best one for last!

-- Posted by nature boy on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 12:33 PM
  • Congratulation to Carter, Foster (all tournament) and Hull (MVP)! To the Blue Jays as a whole my hat goes off to you!!!!!

-- Posted by silentplayer on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 1:17 PM

S.I.j.v.won the championship game over clearwater in a complete dominant manner 53-19 this south iron jv played right with bernie's jv this summer pretty impressive.

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 1:20 PM
  • Holcomb beat Gideon Saturday.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 1:24 PM
  • Rogersville 55, Cape Central 48

-- Posted by gianthook on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 3:18 PM
  • A tough loss for Cape Central after a long road trip. They seem to be going the wrong direction right now.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 3:37 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: