Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Class 3, District 1

Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Feb 11, 2013, at 11:24 PM:

Since my thread on Class 4, District 1 has been highjacked by the "Who Is the Greatest Sikeston Fan/Former Athlete" and the interminable "Farmer vs. Holifield/Sikeston vs. Charleston" debate, I thought I would try again with another district. Perhaps we can actually get an intelligent debate about the actual district games this time?

With the way Charleston hammered Doniphan and the way NMCC blew out Caruthersville tonight, I think it is a concensus opinion that Charleston and NMCC will meet in the district finals. I also think most observers think NMCC at least has a reasonable shot to pull the upset of the Jays. Now here is a fact that may play in the Eagles' favor (besides the injury to Michael Hull). Starting with tonight's game against Doniphan, Charleston has four games this week against Cape Central, Poplar Bluff, then East Prairie in the first game of districts. Then a semi-final game against either Twin Rivers or Caruthersville before playing NMCC in the championship. Will Charleston be playing on tired legs? Even some Charleston fans have questioned the Jays' stamina and conditioning this season. What say you?

Replies (60)

• I have seen them both play numerous times this year and if Charleston doesnt play all out NMCC can win this matchup.

Especially with Charleston's schedule leading in.

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Mon, Feb 11, 2013, at 11:35 PM
  • Haha preach sorry bout ur class 4 thread implosion. I appreciate ur interest and insight. I believe the jayz have too much talent for the eagles. The eagles have made great strides and kudos to them but charleston is a beast and they will elevate their game when the stakes are high. Nmcc is very good but jayz are very very very good!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Feb 11, 2013, at 11:47 PM
  • Always a pleasure to hear from you cirithungol17.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Feb 11, 2013, at 11:53 PM
  • I think on paper Charleston is a few points better. But NMCC has a chance.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 12:39 AM

As of late, C'ton has dialed up the defensive intensity, particulary the guards. Personally, I don't see NMCC being able to handle the defensive pressure; Jimmerson didn't handle it the first go round and don't think he'll handle it the second, either.

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 6:22 AM
  • thank you preacher man fan, it was getting annoying, i dont think nmcc can get within 15 of charleston, they just seem to turn it up a notch when playoff time comes year after year.

-- Posted by kdjones on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 6:46 AM
  • Watch the language Realbootheelbasketball. Cussing has gotten more than one poster suspended on Semoball and rightly so.

So does anyone think Charleston could be playing on tired legs come the championship game?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 8:19 AM

Naw...i don't (unbias). Either you go full throttle now or you want make the trip down the road to the final four.

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 8:26 AM

The legs on everyteam should be there by now. Pratice started in late October, early November. Plus, playing for the Jays when FARMER was there, I know they have been running/conditioning.

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 8:28 AM
  • Let's go Jays. I like the response the Jays have given since the lost of Hull. They are playing for something right now. I expect them to win the district no matter who they have to go up against. I know coach Day will have his guys ready. But my Jays will be to much down the stretch. Defense wins championships!!!

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 9:01 AM
  • Few grammar errors and spelling. In a bit of a hurry. So be nice guys.lol

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 9:02 AM
  • Welcome back Papi.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 9:02 AM
  • Whats your remaining schedule? May get down to a game this week.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 9:36 AM

@ Cape Central....Tues

PB @ home......Fri

EP @ Malden (District)....Sat

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 9:38 AM
  • Thanks birdfan. Times on fri and sat?

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 9:41 AM

Friday....jayvee begins at 6 pm

Saturday....10:30 am

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 9:42 AM
  • Ok. Good deal. Thanks

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 9:50 AM
  • Ok. Good deal. Thanks

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 9:51 AM
  • Where will the elite 8 and sweet 16 be played? Jayz-maplewood would be cool to watch!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 10:42 AM

I'm just really proud of the way NMCC has played this year. I don't think anyone saw them doing what they have done this year. I would consider even having discussion about them competing with Charleston for a district championship an accomplishment. These boys have won 13 of their last 16 games, and just came off an 8 game winning streak. Which hasn't been done since the Derek Tipler days. So thats great! The 09-10 team with Kony Ealy did not win a district championship. The 10-11 team, just 2 years ago, only won 4 games. Which featured an 8 game losing streak, and the longest winning streak being 2 games. They lost in the first round of districts. The 11-12 season, last years team, only won 8 games. The longest winning steak they had was just 2 games. And they also lost in the first round of districts. So in my opinion NMCC has improved leaps and bounds from just last year.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 10:43 AM
  • No doubt buck!! Lookn forward to seeing jimmer and armondo tonite!! Hope jimmers feelin better, good luck!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 10:56 AM

Wow, they've really changed things around, this year.

Class 3 Sectionals will be played at Dexter on Feb 27 @ 6:00 pm

Class 3 Quarterfinals will be played at JeffCo in Hillsboro on March 2 @ 1:00 pm

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 12:09 PM

As a fan, I can say that it's not a good idea to overlook NMCC. Who is not PUMPED UP AND READY TO SWEAT, trying to knock off the regions TOP TEAM!!!! JAYS.....don't overlook A-N-Y-O-N-E. Start with Cape,PB, and 1st round districts. 1+1+1+1+1+1...........There is a 99.9% percent chance that Charleston meets NMCC in the Class 3, District 1 Final.

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 12:36 PM
  • Ok! Thanks birdfan!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 12:51 PM

The road through C3D1 goes through C'Town. It always has, even when they've had "down" years, they're still the team nobody wants to play, but at the same time prepares to play during districts. Any team who feels they have a chance to play for a district crown, knows there's a high probability they will play C'Town. C'Town is there every year for a reason, NMCC is there a lot too (over the years), it's a part of life in C3D1. NMCC always prepares to C'Town, it's not always close, and they lost more than they win, but they are definitely a familiar foe.

Both teams have to make it to the finals before we can even talk about it.

-- Posted by secretagentman on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 1:42 PM

After watching the #3 seed, Doniphan, play the Jays, last night, it's almost a forgone conclusion that Charleston will meet NMCC in the championship.

On a totally different note, I was reading on other posts about the potential for Doniphan's Brian Patterson playing D-I, next year. IMO, unless he vastly improves his speed, quickness and overall skill level, not to mention both his mental and physical toughness, he's still a long way from being D-I material. Just my opinion.

Nice looking kid, though.

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 1:50 PM
  • NMCC's game against Sikeston tonite will determine how the Eagles will perform in the district matchups. If the Eagles can withstand Sikeston's full court pressure tonite, this will give the Eagles some confidence, and momentum going into districts. I'm curious to see how Jimerson& Co.will perform against the top defense in this area.

-- Posted by Highriser on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 2:10 PM
  • I'm not sure how Doniphan got the #3 seed over Twin Rivers, the fourth seed, in the first place. I know Doniphan beat them in the OFCT, but didn't TR beat Doniphan earlier in the season? Also, I'm pretty sure the Royals have a better record too.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 4:49 PM

You're right birdfan, I think tonight has the potential to say a lot about how NMCC can compete with c'town come district time.

-- Posted by secretagentman on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 5:45 PM
  • Well, NMCC's win over Sikeston tonight should officially erase any doubt that they can play with Charleston.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 9:15 PM

Just realized I responded to the wrong guy. Yes. Highriser you're correct. There. Now I feel better.

-- Posted by secretagentman on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 9:41 PM
  • What was the score last time NMCC played Charleston?

-- Posted by UFO on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 9:43 PM

Charleston won by 18, I believe

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 9:44 PM
  • doniphan and twin rivers have about the same record now but when seeding occured i think doniphan had a better record and patterson for doniphan is a d1 talent i agree he probably aint the best player around but hes up there i think your pretty good when semo is trying to sign you. i predict charleston beats nmcc in the finals by 15 i also think doniphan will only lose by 10 in the semis to nmcc but that might be the homer in me.

-- Posted by Nelly62 on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 10:03 PM
  • Nmcc played great tonite. Even if jayz hold jimmerson to two points in district game he is still a great player. I still think jayz win but nmcc is fantastic and they were lights out tonite.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 12:17 AM

Charleston beat NMCC 72-57 on January 8th at Charleston.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 9:45 AM
  • Thoughts on the semifinals?

-- Posted by Swish on Sun, Feb 17, 2013, at 9:31 PM
  • That sounds about right for Semo let's sign another guy who won't help the team

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sun, Feb 17, 2013, at 9:37 PM
  • Sikeston train, I'm assuming that you don't like the dogs chances in class 4 either?

-- Posted by gerardo on Sun, Feb 17, 2013, at 11:11 PM

@Sikeston train- who have the Jayz beat that is good ummmm. lets say The NMCC Eagels they were apparently good enough to beat you guys. freaking bums.

-- Posted by BLUEjayMANdude on Tue, Feb 19, 2013, at 2:28 PM
  • New Madrid can play with Charleston but I can't see them beating them in the district final this year. I do think New Madrid has a good chance of beating them next year. Experience in winning these big games will be the difference IMO. I don't have a dog in the fight but think Charleston wins by double digits. Either way, hope the winner makes a great run to Columbia.

-- Posted by bball79 on Tue, Feb 19, 2013, at 2:46 PM
  • NMCC can rip the heads off Charleston with ease if they put their mind to it

-- Posted by newmadridbaseballguy on Wed, Feb 20, 2013, at 9:27 AM

There's no need in starting rumors or questioning things like that newmadridbaseballguy.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Feb 20, 2013, at 9:31 AM

stick with baseball

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Feb 20, 2013, at 9:53 AM
  • Did I miss something baseballguy? Since you asked - yes they do. Look who is fantasizing about ripping off people's heads - to many bath salts? Real classy dude.

-- Posted by Swish on Wed, Feb 20, 2013, at 9:55 AM
  • The district finals present an interesting and promising match-up. A much improved NMCC team that has gelled at just the right time and a Charleston team that has redefined itself after the loss of Hull. I think the keys are: How does Jimmerson handle the rotation of fresh legs defending him and how well Carter and Foster establish their presence on the interior. I see two scenarios - a competitive and close game if New Madrid responds or a double digit win for Charleston if they don't. Could easily go either way.

-- Posted by Swish on Wed, Feb 20, 2013, at 10:39 AM

Thats a really good point Swish. Jimmerson is NMCC's really only ball handler. He doesn't even have anyone that can come off the bench quite like Charleston does to help him out. Charleston has guys that could be starters sitting the bench, just because the have 5 other guys that can start. Jimerson has to work offensively against the likes of Parham, and the Bogans, and Hull in the earlier matchup, and then turn right around and guard those guys on defense. He plays a lot of minutes, but thats what you get when your primary rotation is 8 guys.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Feb 20, 2013, at 11:12 AM
  • Charleston has a tendency to get beat off the dribble, that is when Jimmerson is dangerous. He has vision and when defenses rotate to help he finds people aroung the basket. I think that might be his best skill. Not that scoring 41 doesn't take a little skill.

-- Posted by Swish on Wed, Feb 20, 2013, at 11:18 AM

Thats why when people say Jimerson isn't a good passer, or only a scorer, or has the green light at all times, my mind is just blown. He is an excellent passer, and will get much better in his next two years in my opinion. I see a lot of potential to get better in all areas. He also has some bunnies. Here lately in the games where he has played significant minutes, he grabs 4,5,6 rebounds. Thats not bad for a point guard!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Feb 20, 2013, at 11:29 AM

Didn't he dunk last week?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Feb 20, 2013, at 11:40 AM

Yeah, twice. He almost had 3 last night. And he has dunked in other games this season as well.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Feb 20, 2013, at 11:49 AM
  • Not any one individual and I think it is kind of a trade off for appling the amount of pressure that is put on the ball - sometimes you are going to get beat. Also, when passes come out of double teams the defense has to scrammble and sometimes that creates lanes for penetration. I'm just saying that Jimmerson has the skill set to exploit that situation, it is not a knock on Charleson's defense. I would not change their style if I could!!

-- Posted by Swish on Wed, Feb 20, 2013, at 11:56 AM

Dunks are only worth 2 points.

-- Posted by Norman Dale on Wed, Feb 20, 2013, at 12:44 PM
  • Very good point Brown. I saw an article in the paper where Farmer said - we want to apply pressure and force teams to make decsions with the ball. But you better believe there will be double teams, not on specific players but situational, based on opportunities.

-- Posted by Swish on Wed, Feb 20, 2013, at 12:51 PM

I only asked that because he said he had "bunnies" which means he can jump. I haven't seen Jimerson this year so I was just asking could he dunk the ball yet. Of course dunks are worth 2 points, thanks for clearing that up!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Feb 20, 2013, at 12:52 PM
  • Brown, ma'am, u sure are knowledgeable. I am quite impressed! I dont know enough about defensive strategies to offer up how ctown will stop jimmer but im sure farmer does and his boys should execute that plan. Jimmer is a fantastic player but needs support to compete with jays. He chewed up our zone every which way but i dont think we couldve hung with him man to man.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Feb 20, 2013, at 1:05 PM
  • I'll have to agree w/ u miss brown (ha) that turnovers & fast break points off turnovers will b key to this game & c'town has definitely been playing on a diff't level since Hull went down. Like somebody woke up a sleeping monster w/ the #'s they've been putting up. However no disrespect but I believe coach Day will have his eagles up 4 the challenge. I'm looking for a much closer game than the first time they faced & if they keep it close then who knows. Not many gave em a shot against sikeston as I'm sure not many are giving them a chance against the jays. I do know for a fact that they do believe in themselves & their confidence level is a lot higher than that 1st meeting. Gonna be a good one. Thursday night can't get here soon enuff.

-- Posted by Nodoginfight18 on Wed, Feb 20, 2013, at 2:11 PM
  • since when does charleston have wiz khalifa on the team?

-- Posted by newmadridbaseballguy on Fri, Feb 22, 2013, at 1:23 PM

Jays are the defending class 3 champions. We have to be dethroned first.Just click on 'D'!

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Fri, Feb 22, 2013, at 2:24 PM
  • Hey troller you talking about his album - Show and Prove?? Maybe green and yellow, oh that was black and yellow.

No disrespect toward you other fine people from NMCC. You guys played a great game and that's were it needs to be left, but every town has its share of people like Kool Moe Dee above.

-- Posted by Swish on Fri, Feb 22, 2013, at 2:41 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: