Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Remember When?

Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 3:19 PM:

As for Oran, this could be a season to remember. Their quickness and shooting ability will win them a lot of games. A lot of people are overlooking Alex Heuring IMO. A very fundamentally sound big man that plays with a lot of intensity. 107 points on 13 3-pointers is impressive regardless of the opponent.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 11:51 PM

No disrespect at all to Oran they have a really good team but they would be the 6 seed down here in class 2 district 1. Hayti is going to be better than last year. Same point guard, newbill is a great player, luster is a year older and better, and Frankie is 6'7 now. Hayti will be better than last year come district time. Holcomb is really good. Pville is really good Bernie might have the best team in the district. South Pem might have more talent and depth and athletes than any team in the district. This is a loaded district.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 8:40 AM

Bootheel hooper,

Couldn't have said it better myself. There are 5 teams in District 1 as good or better than Oran. There are SO many good teams that everyone who has posted a list has left at least one out of the top 15, which is crazy. I believe it will be like last year. By the time the District 1 Champion sees Oran, they will have been battling for their life ever since their last reg. season game, while Oran will be facing a pretty cupcake road by comparison. That difference was evident in Hayti vs. Oran last year. That district is phenomenal.

-- Posted by No sir on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 9:42 AM

*Yaeger and Dickie V have around 5 comments that should have made this list but they based these on unintelligent trolling so we can't.

Replies (76)

• Let it go.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 3:21 PM
  • The main reason I made this post was not so much to downgrade certain posters but to clear certain respected posters such as BBfanactic out of the equation.

Also, I'd prefer a debate to take place on this thread other than the Winona/Oran thread. The funniest part of that whole conversation was everyone saying Winona did not get as much respect going into the game. OBVIOUSLY NOT IF THEY'RE NOT EVEN IN THE SEMOBALL COVERAGE AREA. Up until this day I've never seen a team outside the coverage area lose a game of that intensity/magnitude and get on here the next day and downgrade the officiating in more than 20 posts. Congrats to Winona. You drove over 2 hours out of the hills to play. Your not going to get every call you please.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 3:29 PM
  • It would be interesting to see the call Winona fans are referring to on film again to see if they are right.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 3:33 PM
  • Anyone want to post the film game to youtube so we can watch it?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 3:34 PM
  • I'm not saying the call was definitely a bad call. I'm also not saying the Winona fans are definitely wrong for bringing it up.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 3:38 PM
  • Ladies and gentleman I believe we've located the long lost descendent of "Cotton Top" Mounts, nephew of Devil Anse Hatfield.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 3:39 PM
  • I won't get it jwhitlock but if you say so.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 3:42 PM
  • Dustin, I'm not referring to you. I generally agree with most of what you say.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 3:43 PM
  • Mr. Ward, your thoughts on the call? Was it on Heuring? Was it on Ressel? Was it a no call?

My thoughts: I thought it could have went either way. Heuring was just as guilty as Ressel. I can understand Heuring's reaction at the time. They whistled it from the start on Ressel however. Was it a stupid foul? 90 feet from the basket, I'd say beyond that. You win some, you lose some, sometimes it rains. Wait, I was thinking of baseball ironically. It doesn't rain in basketball.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 3:49 PM
  • My thoughts are I'd like to see it again. But I'm not sure it makes much difference. The game is over.

That's all from me. I've got to do some packing.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 3:58 PM

I've seen it rain in basketball. You just have to be at a bad enough arena.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 4:00 PM
  • I once saw a Tri-County Conference Tournament played with no heat at a gym down south.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 4:16 PM
  • You are dead wrong Uncle Charlie. Sometimes it does rain in Basketball....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV84ha3uEGg

-- Posted by Crash Davis on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 4:32 PM

Nice one Crash!

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 5:14 PM
  • Well played gents, well played.

@Dustin, does that mean your going to be in Columbia next week?

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 5:36 PM
  • Yea Uncle Charlie. I'll be there for the Class 1, 2 and 3 final four. I probably won't go for Class 4 and Class 5.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 6:35 PM

Back to the foul controversy, what I saw was Heuring get to the kid with the ball first then, Ressel came immediately after and what looked like an attempt to trap the kid. When Ressel came over it looked like he reached in and caught the kid on the arm. As soon as the whistle was blown my first reaction was it had been called on Ressel which it was. But that's just me putting my two cents in. Also, should be noted I am not a Oran or Winona fan.

-- Posted by Lunchpacker on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 6:47 PM
  • Lunchpacker

Which side were you located on. I was directly behind the Oran bench. I think if I would have been on the opposite side I would have had a better look at it.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 6:50 PM

Dustin

I was located the exact same spot as you then. Right behind Oran's bench. I agree thought the other side probably had a better view but, that's still what I thought happened.

-- Posted by Lunchpacker on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 6:55 PM
  • Uncle Charlie gonna ask u a question.If call would have happened to Oran would you have posted anything about it?

-- Posted by WBB on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 7:20 PM

None of this even matters because come Thursday Oran will get downed by Salisbury.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 7:28 PM
  • I would almost guarantee if the call would have happened to any team someone would have posted something about it.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 7:32 PM
  • Honestly that call didnt beat Winona us missing 3 or 4 chip shots in the last min did.But i did think the call was big, and when i mentioned it on here some of the Oran posters went crazy.It seems that they get their feelings hurt pretty easy.

-- Posted by WBB on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 7:36 PM
  • Dustin its a good thing u said that u was sitting behind the Oran bench cause if u was sitting behind Winona bench the Oran posters would have swore you was rooting against them lol

-- Posted by WBB on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 7:48 PM
  • Uncle charlie do u get ur feelings hurt wnen it rains in baseball?

-- Posted by WBB on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 7:55 PM
  • Rain or shine Oran will have a great shot at a state title in baseball season.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 8:10 PM
  • I've done siad everything I'm going to say regarding the foul situation. If the call didn't cost you the game then why keep bringing it up? It shouldn't matter if it didn't cost you the game and yes, very upset.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 8:22 PM
  • You havent answered my question unc would u have said anything about the call if it would have happened to ORAN? Yes or No its simple

-- Posted by WBB on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 8:30 PM
  • Yes, possibly in 1 post, but not 15+ of them.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 8:46 PM
  • I think this was the first time Winona every played in a quarterfinal game...add to that 3 officials that are regularly seen on Oran's home court/tournament I think you can understand why there is some discussion with the officiating.

-- Posted by Areaguy on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 9:05 PM
  • And two of the officials live in Oran. Oran should have won by 20 but they let them back in.

-- Posted by gostlrams on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 9:19 PM
  • Now Charlie. If a few anonymous posters can get you this riled up over a lack of respect then I'd say you'd probably get pretty upset if you thought your team got hosed.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 9:21 PM
  • Nah, I think one is from Jackson, one from East Prairie and one from Leopold, unless they have moved recently.

-- Posted by Areaguy on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 9:21 PM
  • Now unc the reason i kept talking about it was when i first mentioned it some of the Oran posters on here jumped on me like a pack of wolves.All i said was i thot that was a game changing call,in the future u might wana be a little more respectfull in someones opinion and not act like they have no right to it.

-- Posted by WBB on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 9:25 PM
  • Uncle Charlie let WhinerBasketBall keep on whining . He's making himself look like an idiot and he's trying to get you to join him .

-- Posted by jrob5352 on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 9:38 PM
  • How incredibly stupid to base the Oran team this year on last year's team. Nobody expected Oran to win 10 games last year, much less go to the quarterfinals after losing 8 seniors and 4 starters. Moore was the only returning starter last year and I'd say they did pretty good. That, my friend is coaching.

-- Posted by gostlrams on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 9:39 PM
  • Coach Shoe is a great coach, and a great person! I for one am super glad that he and his team are getting the opportunity to go to the final four! Good luck to Oran, and the Oran faithful!

However; I think everyone who watches basketball expected him to have a good team this year.

-- Posted by Areaguy on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 9:47 PM
  • Jwhitlock, your wrong because that would mean baseball season is here. Would I rather win though? Most definitely.

Moore did not start the previous year before last year either but yes Shoemaker is a great coach.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 9:58 PM
  • I agree Shoemaker is a really good coach.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 10:00 PM
  • I predicted great things for Oran when he left Advance.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 10:03 PM
  • You are correct areaguy, he is a super person besides a coach. We all expected them to excel this year, just not last year.

-- Posted by gostlrams on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 10:07 PM
  • Come on Charlie. That's a bunch of bologna.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 10:10 PM
  • Come on jwhitlock, quit trolling. I know you don't value my opinion that much.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Mar 3, 2013, at 10:19 PM
  • I bet u thot real hard on that one jrob lol

-- Posted by WBB on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 7:11 PM
  • It's ok, WBB ask Oran about the last time they were in the final four and the feelings on officials :) It was pretty clear at the game it should have been the big kid from Oran's fifth foul, then the skinny official looked up at the scoreboard before he logged who it was on, not sure why.

It was possibly game changing, we will never know now. Oran is a great team, and Winona showed great poise and durability. They should have made 2 more free-throws, or one more lay-up and it wouldn't have mattered..most likely.

-- Posted by Areaguy on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 8:40 PM
  • WhinerBasketBall you coming to Columbia Thursday to watch the winners ? Maybe we will have those same refs to help us win again . Don't really matter tho , our main focus all year was to just beat Winona .

-- Posted by jrob5352 on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 8:57 PM
  • Your right areaguy they had every opportunity to win the game, missed several fts and lay-ups.

-- Posted by WBB on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 8:59 PM
  • Yeah i will be there care to exchange phone numbers maybe we could meet face to face

-- Posted by WBB on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 9:01 PM
  • Jrob, I can promise you if Coach Shoemaker knew he would play them in the quarters, it would have been the whole goal up till now! LOL I'll be at Columbia, I am every year

-- Posted by Areaguy on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 9:01 PM
  • Now i wont be there till saturday dont figure you guys wii b playing that day

-- Posted by WBB on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 9:05 PM
  • WBB is that a threat I detect there ?

-- Posted by jrob5352 on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 9:06 PM
  • No not at all just wanted to know who i was jabbing with on the computer

-- Posted by WBB on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 9:10 PM
  • No actually i hope you guys do win it all, seems like a great bunch of kids

-- Posted by WBB on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 9:12 PM

I guess we know who won't be playing until next November, too don't we WBB.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 9:14 PM
  • 90 percent of Missouri Larry? Seriously, I thought you were above those kind of taunts.

-- Posted by Areaguy on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 9:15 PM
  • No we play all summer, and yes we do need the practice

-- Posted by WBB on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 9:17 PM
  • Come on in Larry the waters warm

-- Posted by WBB on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 9:20 PM
  • Hope u can swim cause its gonnna get deep

-- Posted by WBB on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 9:22 PM
  • The water is only warm because of the p***ing match that this has become. At some point you would think everyone would just move up stream.

-- Posted by Crash Davis on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 9:23 PM
  • For a team that has won what 4,5, maybe 6 at most, district titles, 3 or 4 conference titles in the history of it's school (yes we realize one of the individual game score ever for a person is from Winona), first time I can find in the quarters..EVER...

you seem to be pretty cocky too WBB

-- Posted by Areaguy on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 9:23 PM
  • I agree with Crash

-- Posted by Areaguy on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 9:24 PM
  • No not really just keeping them stirred up,honestly cant believe they are falling for it.

-- Posted by WBB on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 9:29 PM
  • Oran seems to find a way to blunder it in baseball, maybe basketball can be different. Although with the biggest class 1 schools moving to class 2 in baseball I see about 3 state titles within the next 10 years in baseball for Oran.

-- Posted by ThayerPops on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 9:36 PM

I was at the game on saturday and both schools played well but after thursday they will find out how far away from a state champion they are IMO!

-- Posted by porchswing on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 9:44 PM
  • Interesting thought porchswing.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 9:47 PM
  • That may be true Porch but you can't take anything away from the kids that are good enough to make it to the final 4.. not their fault competition wasn't good enough to beat them. Congrats Eagles.

-- Posted by ThayerPops on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 9:55 PM

I totaly agree talkinghead this is a once in a life time trip for these kids i wish them all the best but Salisbury is a different animal.

-- Posted by porchswing on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 9:59 PM
  • And Salisbury is so incredible based on what?

-- Posted by gostlrams on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 10:42 PM

Based on talent,expierence,and was in the state championship game last year!

-- Posted by porchswing on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 10:59 PM
  • Thank you.

-- Posted by gostlrams on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 11:11 PM
  • Salisbury is beatable IMO from the research i've seen but to do so will be a tall task. Nobody in this area has seen them play over once if that this year, so take that for what it's worth.

You can get under whoever's skin you want in Oran (Certainly not mine since we won. You can say whatever you want for all I care) but it's still not going to change the fact your team lost and it's killing you. You just use the excuse your trying to get under our skin.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 11:24 PM

You are right Areaguy. I snapped. It must be hormones.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Tue, Mar 5, 2013, at 6:32 AM

You are right Areaguy. I snapped. It must be hormones.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Tue, Mar 5, 2013, at 6:32 AM
  • I guess that the refs nowadays should be perfect and not make mistakes. Maybe WBB you should become a ref since you seem to see things so clear. Im not for Oran or for Winona but it gets so old talking bout officiating. Bad calls happen. Just have to keep playing.

-- Posted by gomizzou05 on Tue, Mar 5, 2013, at 9:33 AM
  • Just now seen this post as I have been crying for about a week For our Bernie boys. Lol. thanks for the the comment about being a respected poster uncle. actually I'm a simple guy that loves basketball very much and show alot of passion forthe game as my kid is on the Bernie team. I think we all have a passion for the game and thats why we post comments on here, bad or good. Of course I'm am always going to push my Mules to the top wether they belong there or not because I believe they are capable of winning at a high level mostly due to our coaching staff. None the less I always think it's important to remember that they are kids, they do read these posts and they learn from us! There is so much talent in or area and it's sad more can't go to the big show but the bottom line is. ORAN won and I support them and and any team in our area that gets to go. Good luck Oran and yes I would buy a chicken plate if I was closer!

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Tue, Mar 5, 2013, at 10:07 AM
  • gomizzou05 If you will notice i havent mentioned anything about the CALL since sunday nite and here it is tuesday and you ALL are STILL talking about it.

-- Posted by WBB on Tue, Mar 5, 2013, at 4:19 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: