Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Where Will Otto Go!?

Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jun 25, 2013, at 10:01 AM:

Lets play where will Otto go! It is really awesome that in a couple of days someone that we watched grow up and play basketball in this area will be selected in the lottery of the NBA draft. He and his family have of course been invited to New York to sit in the green room. So Otto will be interviewed (probably family also, they often do) and get to walk across the stage and shake Stern's hand. Otto has improved a great deal over the years, and I think he will have a great NBA career. This can also be a place where people discuss the draft in general and post that night as the draft is going on. I will try and put on this thread which team selects him pretty soon after he is picked. Many people believe he will be selected in the top 3, some even feel he could be a #1 selection. So where does everyone think Otto will be playing next year!? Hopefully the team has a good color scheme for the new jersey I will be buying haha!

Replies (77)

I got a good feeling that I just think the Cavs take him 1st overall. I can't explain it I just sorta know.

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Jun 25, 2013, at 10:06 AM

I hope he goes to the Wizards at #3 (John Wall is one of my favorite players). Someone how though I just get a feeling that they might trade the pick. They have already been in discussion with the Bulls, and I could see Otto landing somewhere like the Phoenix Suns or the Portland Trailblazers as well (not because he drops that far, but because they trade into a higher spot).

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jun 25, 2013, at 10:08 AM

Yeah the Cavs have been really sketchy lately it seems. Normally we usually know who the #1 pick will be, and trade rumors for that pick aren't high like they are this year. So I could see them going for Otto, who knows! Like your feeling for Cavs, I just have a feeling it won't be Wizards.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jun 25, 2013, at 10:10 AM

Well basically the Pat Fordes and Ryan Russillos of the world all said before the lottery the Cavs were high on Otto and that there isn't a clear number one guy in this draft. So you put two and two together

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Jun 25, 2013, at 10:41 AM
  • I think he will go to the Wizards. It would be good for him since he plays college ball there already.

-- Posted by BaseballFootballMan on Tue, Jun 25, 2013, at 11:19 AM

I heard the Alex Len is rising up the Cavs board as well. I actually watched a few Maryland games this year, and he didn't impress me that much, I saw him being more like a 7-10 pick because I think there are that many guys better than him. Cavs would be better off with Otto. Athough, contrary to popular belief, I am not an NBA scout so what do I know.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jun 25, 2013, at 11:37 AM

One other point, Noel is way ahead of schedule, Cleveland, Orlando, and Washington doctors at his workout said the knee looks 100%, and he has already gained 14 pounds and is up to 220.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jun 25, 2013, at 11:41 AM

Memphis will trade all 3 of their second round picks and pick up Otto!!!

Wishful thinking???

-- Posted by Mac N' Cheese on Tue, Jun 25, 2013, at 12:49 PM

The problem with Noel is he is just a huge unknown offensively, health wise, and off the court. He didn't play enough O in college to develop enough to get a baseline on him, the leg injuries from college and HS are concerning, and he has an entourage that has convinced him to blow off meetings with agents, teams, and media.

Otto is a safer pick

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Jun 25, 2013, at 1:31 PM

I wish!

here is something to put it in perspective a bit if Otto does get drafted 3rd,and how great an accomplishment that is. Of the 24 players that participated in this years NBA all-star game, only 10 were selected in the draft with the #1, #2, or #3 picks. Those would be James Harden (3rd) Tim Duncan (1st) LaMarcus Aldrigde (2nd) Dwight Howard (1st) Blake Griffin (1st) Kevin Durant (2nd) Kyrie Irving (1st) Tyson Chandler (2nd) Carmello Anthony (3rd) and His Greatness the King We Are All Witnesses (1st). So only 9 people. Westbrook, Wade, Bosh, Garnett, Parker, Paul,George, Rondo, and that Bryant guy. No player selected in the second round was in the All-Star game, and and only three people picked outside the top 20 of the first round were. So while being picked low like that doesn't garnetee sucess, it would certainly be a great accomplishment for Otto to pull off!!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jun 25, 2013, at 1:38 PM

Man thats just Ryan Russillo and his little B.S. report trying to stir something up. And he spoke with "frustrated agents". Yeah frustrated that they didnt land him. Here is what Noel's agent had to say about Russillo's comments ""It's just foolish. I know at this stage in the draft process, there's all kinds of things flying around. But it's the furthest thing from the truth. It's probably closer to the most antithesis end of the spectrum. I've been in this business 24 years and his 'camp' so to speak, his family and business advisors, are the furthest thing from negative handlers or manipulative people that don't have his best interest at heart. The whole thing is absurd, to be quite frank".

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jun 25, 2013, at 1:47 PM

ESPN's Seth Greenberg said he would take Otto #1. That would be awesome! But would it be to the Cavs? Still a lot of trades that could happen.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jun 25, 2013, at 1:51 PM

Cavs really probably hoped they could tank one more year and get the first pick next year

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Jun 25, 2013, at 1:57 PM

You got that right! Which would probably be there reasoning if they happen to draft Noel. I see next years draft being 2003 all over again. So just imagine who could be really bad this year, and picture them being title contenders in just a few years. So who, the Hornets!? Pelicans!? Suns!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jun 25, 2013, at 2:13 PM

Thunder really trying to get that #1 pick. Noel on the Thunder would be beast! Even though I hate the Thunder...

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jun 25, 2013, at 7:56 PM

I think 3rd with Washington.

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Tue, Jun 25, 2013, at 8:49 PM

Wow just listened to the Simmons/ Pat Ford draft podcast and they are down on Otto and down on the mental fortitude of the other Missouri draft prospect Ben McLemore

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Jun 26, 2013, at 1:55 PM

I didn't hear the podcast but I have seen other reports where Ford specifically was down on Otto. Did he give reasons why he was down on him? I've heard lots of people down on McLemore.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Jun 26, 2013, at 3:40 PM

The big thing is that Otto isn't poor in any specific area offensively but doesn't excel at that one thing you can bank on him doing to score points or create offense. They like his size but think his lack of speed combined with that size will hinder his defense and that he can't score off the dribble. Ford doesn't hate him he just wishes he hit the three ball faster and more often in order to feel good about it. Simmons says his peak is Tayshawn Prince at best and a complete bust at worst. Simmons believes that he isn't big enough to play down low and isn't fast enough to play with the athletic SF in the league. He also doesn't trust the shot especially from 3. It seems like they aren't valuing the versatility of Otto and are giving him zero chance to develop at the next level. Ford is more optimistic saying he could potentially have more burst off the dribble and 3 range if he hasn't played in the Princeton offense which masks some of a players skills.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Jun 26, 2013, at 4:43 PM

The dig on McLemore sorta bothers me. It's like because he is a little kind hearted and naive off the court and a little passive on it that he is a completely damaged property and will not produce. I feel like its impossible to predict how a person will develop mentally and emotionally like that in the next 1-3 years. McLemore could be the steal of the draft

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Jun 26, 2013, at 4:49 PM
  • Is that Bill Simmons and Pat Forde?

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Wed, Jun 26, 2013, at 5:48 PM

Kevin Durant just said on twitter he would take Otto first. Thats pretty awesome!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Jun 26, 2013, at 5:52 PM
  • Durant plays in Georgetowns open gyms in the summer.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Wed, Jun 26, 2013, at 5:56 PM
  • Bill Simmons and Pat Forde are ignorant. You want to listen to someone who knows what the hell they are talking about, listen to what Jay Bilas says about Bubba.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Wed, Jun 26, 2013, at 6:00 PM

Yeah Durant is from D.C area

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Jun 26, 2013, at 10:14 PM

By the way Pressey haters out there just wanted to let y'all know that many a team is looking to acquire a late first early second round pick in order to draft Mr. Pressey.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Jun 27, 2013, at 11:40 AM
  • Celtics

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Thu, Jun 27, 2013, at 12:42 PM

Orlando also looking around I think

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Jun 27, 2013, at 1:16 PM

Pressey will be a good fit on any team that wants a PG that will not be in the league any longer than he was in COMO!!!

-- Posted by Mac N' Cheese on Thu, Jun 27, 2013, at 3:17 PM

I think he will be a fine back up PG. Just don't ask him to score

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Jun 27, 2013, at 4:09 PM
  • Wizards, Celtics, and Magic like him. One of those three will take him tonight judging by twitter. I think Phil has the potential to be a 12 year pro.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Thu, Jun 27, 2013, at 5:28 PM
  • President of the Phil Pressey Hatin' Club right here. Hope he blows and is in Europe before we elect a new president. That's all.

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Thu, Jun 27, 2013, at 6:07 PM

Welp there you go Cleveland way screw that up

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Jun 27, 2013, at 6:44 PM

#1 Cleveland = Bennett. #2 olidipo magic

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jun 27, 2013, at 6:52 PM

Otto goes third to the Wizards!

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Jun 27, 2013, at 6:54 PM

Great fit!! I'll have two wizards jerseys now!!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jun 27, 2013, at 6:55 PM

McLemore to the Kings where all character issue players go to die.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Jun 27, 2013, at 7:20 PM
  • I'm happy for Otto and think it will be a good fit for him. This is one of the weakest drafts ever and I don't mean that in any negative way towards Otto.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Jun 27, 2013, at 7:31 PM

Oriahki goes to the Suns at 57

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jun 27, 2013, at 11:10 PM

Apparently all of you saying Phil "Easter Bunny" Pressey would get drafted were in tune with the wrong disappointingly performing Mizzou player.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Jun 27, 2013, at 11:20 PM
  • By the way Pressey haters out there just wanted to let y'all know that many a team is looking to acquire a late first early second round pick in order to draft Mr. Pressey.

Welllll. That backfired.

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Fri, Jun 28, 2013, at 12:33 AM

Just posting what I read/heard Bill. No shame in that because teams were

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Jun 28, 2013, at 8:14 AM
  • Pressey signed with the Celtics.. and with their current roster he may get enough minutes to have 5 turnovers per game

-- Posted by ThayerPops on Fri, Jun 28, 2013, at 9:48 AM

That is a possibly but j don't think my Celtics are really making moves to win now

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Jun 28, 2013, at 11:10 AM

Ouch you are a Celtics fan Bunk!? I'm sorry bud. So in all honesty what was your opinion of what took place with the C's last night!? Trying to get Wiggins in 2014 haha!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jun 28, 2013, at 11:18 AM

That's the plan but we still got Rondo, Green, Bradley, and Bass so we could screw up and win 20+ games. Hopefully Kidd sucks as a coach and Nets fall apart making their draft picks worth more. Same thing for the Clippers

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Jun 28, 2013, at 12:45 PM

If any of follow sideline on twitter he documented my dejected disgust pretty well

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Jun 28, 2013, at 12:46 PM

The amount of laughing at Bunk I have done as he has looked dejected for the last two NBA drafts has been hilarious. He's hated just about everything the Celtics have done.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Jun 28, 2013, at 12:51 PM

I see the disgust haha. Rondo and Humphries should be.... interesting.

My last point Kwame Brown, Greg Oden, Anthony Bennett. I'm just glad Otto or Noel doesn't have to play for goofy Dan Gilbert or live in Cleveland. So there was a plus to not being picked 1st.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jun 28, 2013, at 1:23 PM
  • Told y'all he'd go to Washington.

-- Posted by BaseballFootballMan on Fri, Jun 28, 2013, at 2:43 PM
  • That was about the only lock of the draft there Nostradamus so save it lol

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Fri, Jun 28, 2013, at 4:04 PM

Buck, I tweeted out the exact sake comparison to Kwame and Oden last night.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Jun 28, 2013, at 5:08 PM

Haha awesome! Yeah I'm not high on Bennett. Especially for Cleveland who just drafted Thompson a couple years ago. Bennett seems like an undersized PF who has nothing special to separate himself from bigger guys.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jun 28, 2013, at 5:12 PM

Heard Celtics are now looking to even trade Rondo. Mavericks are very interested. They just clearing out.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Jun 29, 2013, at 7:24 PM
  • Hard to perform well in the Jordan game when no one passes you the ball and you get to watch guys with half your skills jack up 3's and try to go one on one all night.

-- Posted by badams2s on Sun, Jun 30, 2013, at 11:05 PM
  • Well he might as well get used to that cause that's the NBA.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Jul 1, 2013, at 8:53 AM
  • So the greatest professional league in the world with the great basketball players in the world just jack up 3's and play 1 on 1?

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Mon, Jul 1, 2013, at 12:33 PM
  • Yea they pretty much do. I don't know if i would say they are the greatest basketball players in the world as a whole for sure the greatest athletes. It would be interesting to see them go up against a true zone and see how the games would be.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Jul 1, 2013, at 1:08 PM
  • Wow. #smh

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Mon, Jul 1, 2013, at 8:37 PM
  • I think BIGELW was watching the And1 mixtape tour reruns and thought it was the NBA.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Mon, Jul 1, 2013, at 10:42 PM
  • hey all i'm saying is if they had to go against a zone alot of the players wouldn't have much of a game if they couldn't go to the hole everytime because we've all seen some of these guys shoot.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Jul 2, 2013, at 7:10 AM
  • BIGELW I do agree. I don't like to watch that kind of game. I believe its a reflection of the coaching staff. The team should be under control.

-- Posted by deal on Tue, Jul 2, 2013, at 7:30 AM
  • Youre saying NBA players can't shoot from the outside? Wow

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Tue, Jul 2, 2013, at 8:33 AM
  • Over a third of the shots come at the rim and from 3ft out to the 3pt line the league shot 38% this past year. I'm not saying there aren't any good shooters but as a whole there's more that can't then can.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Jul 2, 2013, at 9:15 AM
  • Well of course there's more that can't than can. If everybody COULD, there'd be no talks about who's better at shooting the basketball between guys like Ray Allen, Reggie Miller, Dell Curry(just to name a few) and if a guy like a Steph Curry will be better.

There's plenty of international players that can't shoot as well and very few Drazen Petrovics.

As far as going against a zone goes. Team USA goes against the best zones the world has to offer in Olympic competition. Their record? 130-5 and a gold medal in EVERY Olympic game they've played in except 1972 and 2004 and the 1972 games were a sham in which team USA got robbed of the gold medal.

To those people who bash on the NBA, I don't know what you're looking at. The best players in the world are in the NBA. Best basketball in the world.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Tue, Jul 2, 2013, at 9:41 AM
  • I'm not talking about the Olympics i'm talking about the NBA teams and i agree with the guys you named that can shoot and there are quite a few more but i was mainly refering to if NBA teams had to play against a zone. Taking the best of the best and playing against a zone is not what i'm talking about. I bash on the NBA because of the way the game is called today and the way every player cries about every call compaired to the Bird, Magic and Jordan era and i know those guys complained also but it wasn't every player on the floor complaining about every call made.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Jul 2, 2013, at 10:33 AM

If they played more zone in the NBA than your Danny Greens would become more valued than your Andre Igulodolas and the league would asslimlate and 3 point shooting would become the golden standard of what was valued in a player. We are actually moving towards that reality with the decline of true centers and teams reacting by packing the paint and forcing these all star drivers to shoot more( ex the finals)

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Jul 2, 2013, at 12:10 PM
  • NBA teams play zone all the time. Sure they play mainly man, and there's a reason why they do that.

Things run in cycles. In actuality, there are still lots of "true centers" in the NBA today. It's just that most of them are not dominant. Certainly nothing like the Shaq's, Admirals, Ewings, Robert Parishes, Kareems, Hakeems, etc.

You will never see NBA teams consistently pack in a zone and be successful. This years finals are proof of that.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Tue, Jul 2, 2013, at 2:55 PM

Looked successful enough to me. So successful the Heat did it in game 7 and Danny Green and Manu and Parker couldn't hit the threes when they counted. But yes man to man is the defense of choice

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Jul 2, 2013, at 5:00 PM
  • The Heat didn't pack in a zone in game 7. At least not the game 7 I watched.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Jul 3, 2013, at 11:22 AM

So Tony Parker and Manu were just left alone at the three point line for no other reason?

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Jul 3, 2013, at 11:36 AM
  • So the Heat played a zone the entire game 7? The Heat played zone the majority of the time for the entire series? Where was that zone when Duncan went off for 25 or so in Game 6(I believe)? Where was the zone when Gary Neal and Danny Green were going off? The Spurs move the ball as well as any team. Most of those open 3's came off of penetration/catching the Heat scrambling to rotate on defense. I'd be interested to know how many possession the Heat played zone. Not nearly as man as played man. Did they sag off of Parker(in their man defense some? Absolutely. He still got into the paint with regularity up until the last game which was when Lebron guarded Parker. He was able to cushion because of his size. That's not the same as "packing a zone into the paint", not to me anyway. Say what you want. My point was that no NBA team would win CONSISTENTLY PACKING IN A ZONE. I still don't see anything that would lead me to believe otherwise.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Jul 3, 2013, at 9:31 PM
  • Wow. Ottos success has devolved into Heat vs. Spurs and man vs. zone. Otto will be just fine against either. Congrats to the young man and his family for their hard work and the reward that came with it !!!

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Wed, Jul 3, 2013, at 11:02 PM
  • You're right. I feel bad for hijacking the thread now.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Jul 4, 2013, at 2:04 PM
  • Just read a pretty negative article on yahoo sports about Ottos first few games of summer league. They are surprised at how skinny he is compared to other players on the court.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Wed, Jul 24, 2013, at 10:59 AM
  • After 2 years at Georgetown and playing in the national spotlight his whole Soph year, going through all the NBA workouts, going to work out at the combine and weighing in at 197, they finally figured out he's skinny after watchin him play in the meaningless summer league games......sounds like a writer with a lot of basketball knowledge.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Wed, Jul 24, 2013, at 11:41 AM
  • He really didn't look to good in the summer league games but that's not really his style. Even though the NBA is alot of 1 on 1 it does have a little more organization then the summer games do.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Jul 24, 2013, at 12:30 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: