Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: UNOFFICIAL Small School's Top 10 Rankings - Week of 1/19/14

Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Jan 19, 2014, at 4:03 PM:

Hello to all and welcome back to another edition of UC's Top 10 poll for all of us apart of the small school party. We had a delay last week due to mother nature but not to worry however as this poll will include games played since the last poll was released. This week we see quite a bit of change toward the bottom half of the poll from two weeks ago, including Oak Ridge making their debut within the top 10. Here we go:

1. SCC - Just like last poll and most polls this season, the Braves hold the top spot. SCC has not been as active so far this part in the season as they were the first part of the year (Only playing 2 games I believe). However, SCC has defeated East Prairie and played a much improved Charleston team, that was already good to single digits since a new calendar has been on the wall. No other small school team has yet to do anything to garnish the top spot from the Braves. SCC enters as the favorite for their conference tournament next week and will try to win their 7th conference tournament in 8 years if I'm not mistaken.

2. Bernie - Bernie, since the new year has started has not seemed to let a unimpressive loss to Kennett bother them. In fact, it's made them play better if anything as Kennett has been their only loss. Bernie was finally challenged in the past week and a half playing Advance, Oran, and Dexter, only to come out on top each time, including a double digit win against Oran. The Mules however still have a lot of work to do if they want to make a run at the final four this year.

3. South Pemiscot - The Bulldogs continue to strive this season since a impressive showing at the BCT. They have yet to lose since Jan. 1 and have took care of business against Risco, Holcomb, North Pem., and Portageville. South Pem. still continues to stay on the back burner to Bernie and Hayti in class 2 district 1 IMO but I feel the Bulldogs are very capable to make a run to the final four come playoff time, especially with Primer at the top of his game.

4. Hayti - If anybody has been challenged since the new year, it's been Hayti. Hayti has been challenged since then by Senath, Kennett, and Caruthersville. Yes, Hayti has two losses in the past week but within those two losses were two hard fought games to two good teams. A lot of people are saying Hayti might just be the team to make it to Columbia come March. I can't seem to disagree nor agree however. Class 2 district 1 will be exciting but not one for the ages.

5. Oran - Oran has been off to a busy start since my last top 10 including wins to Saxony, Kelly, and St. Vincent and one impressive loss to Bernie that punished them within the rankings. Oran's not necessarily playing bad other than their intensity at certain times IMO. I'm hoping Oran will try to find a way to hit sand if they fell off a camel and ultimately shoot the ball better here in the next couple of weeks as I don't see a post presence developing or moving within the school district. Oran has their conference tournament next week and a probable OIT championship rematch with SCC in the finals.

6. Leopold - Leopold hasn't done much since my last rankings but they have certainly done anything to ward them of their spot within the rankings. Leopold has a hard time putting together a challenging schedule due to location and size but nonetheless, the Wildcats are off to a fast start with wins to Clarkton, Oak Ridge, and Marquand(?). It's unfortunate for Leopold as they are the 2nd best class 1 team in the Semoball area but are in SCC's district. Leopold will be challenged with games against Chaffee and Oran here in the next two weeks.

7. Advance - The Chris Asmus pep talk before the Bernie game was Coach Knight material I'm sure but it seems to be helping the Hornets as they played Bernie to a single point, won an exciting game to Chaffee, and took care of Richland on Friday. Within all this, Advance now looks to be the front runner to challenge Oran in class 2 district 3 as Below looks to be unstoppable and a supporting cast is slowly developing. It's a wonder what hiring a good assistant coach will do for a team's morale and success as the season progresses. We'll see how the Hornets can fare against Notre Dame this upcoming Thursday.

8. Chaffee - This season for Chaffee basketball has been a let down that has gotten progressively worse within the past week as star Peyton Montgomery is done for the season due to a torn labrum in his shoulder that came official the day after the Advance loss. Since this, Chaffee is 1-0 however with a win against Kelly. I'm anxious to see how Chaffee rebounds from Montgomery's injury and see if they finish this season out strong or throw the towel in. They are every bit a factor IMO still come playoff time.

9. Oak Ridge - The Blue Jays have been hovering around a 10 spot in my poll all season long. This week panned out just right for the Blue Jays as they slide into my 9 slot. Oak Ridge has defeated St. Vincent and Zalma since my last poll and loss to Leopold. I feel Oak Ridge is a top 10 team within the poll consistently. We'll see if Below and Legrand can carry the Blue Jays this 2nd half of the season.

10. Holcomb - Holcomb has been off to a fast paced and tough start since my last poll with wins against Campbell, North Pem., and Neelyville. They do however have a tough loss to a very explosive Caruthersville team but still nonetheless have broke this week's poll as the bottom feeder. Holcomb will try to do it's best to move up in the poll with a challenging game against Bernie tomorrow.

BUBBLE: Bloomfield, Puxico, Clarkton

Replies (22)

• Another great poll Unc. I do think Clarkton deserves a spot in the Top 10 as they are playing really well right now. They went 3-0 this week with wins over Risco, East Prairie, and Gideon. I'm not sold on Oak Ridge yet. The Blue Jays are just too up and down for me. So I would move Holcomb up to #9, put Clarkton at #10, and bump Oak Ridge to the bubble.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Jan 19, 2014, at 4:39 PM

PMF, who else has Clarkton defeated? Just curious, as their MSHSAA page is not up to date. As for their wins over Risco and Gideon I am curious about them too. Gideon's page shows them winless.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sun, Jan 19, 2014, at 4:53 PM
  • You have advance ahead of Chaffee, Chaffee has beaten advance twice on a neutral court! By double didgets !

-- Posted by Hatershate on Sun, Jan 19, 2014, at 5:05 PM
  • Larry, Clarkton is 6-6 with wins to North Pem., Piggott (Ark), Cairo (Ill), Risco, East Prairie, and Gideon and losses to Alton, Eminence, Gosnell (Ark) twice, Senath, and Leopold.

They have Corning (Ark) on the schedule but can't find the score anywhere or if the game even took place.

Good point PMF. No argument as I feel it could go either way but if Oak Ridge is up and down like you say, Clarkton is also.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Jan 19, 2014, at 5:08 PM
  • Advance beat Chaffee most recently however and was up by double "didgits" at one point. Like I always say, it's a week to week poll.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Jan 19, 2014, at 5:11 PM
  • The Montgomery injury also makes it hard to rank Chaffee higher until they beat somebody of relevance.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Jan 19, 2014, at 5:18 PM

That's three in a row Unc...don't wanna go all DWard on us.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sun, Jan 19, 2014, at 5:22 PM
  • Ouch.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Jan 19, 2014, at 5:28 PM
  • Didn't know about Montgomery that's terrible. Kinda like Bernie situation with Kirkpatrick but we should have him back in February. We need him for districts for sure. Larry and UNC do you guys ever get on Maxpreps? Class 2 is stacked all over the state.

-- Posted by yaeger on Sun, Jan 19, 2014, at 5:51 PM
  • Looks ok to me!!

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Sun, Jan 19, 2014, at 6:15 PM

yaeger, not so much for basketball. Probably because our staff doesn't use it. Now in baseball, I do a lot of my research there along with gamechanger.com

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sun, Jan 19, 2014, at 6:20 PM
  • Never heard of gamechanger I'll check it out

-- Posted by yaeger on Sun, Jan 19, 2014, at 6:33 PM

Its a scorekeeping app that makes game info available in real time. We've used it for several years now in baseball.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sun, Jan 19, 2014, at 6:35 PM

oops.....gamechanger.io sorry

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sun, Jan 19, 2014, at 6:36 PM
  • Yaeger, I've been on there and I agree. Class 2 is loaded this year. Maybe even deeper than last year as a whole across the state.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Jan 19, 2014, at 6:47 PM
  • Yeah class 2 teams with big guys I mean 6'11 6'9 a lot of 6'6 6'5 6'4 too

-- Posted by yaeger on Sun, Jan 19, 2014, at 6:56 PM
  • Also I hate to hear that about Peyton Montgomery. He really is a special player and his loss will definitely hurt Chaffee's playoff chances.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Jan 19, 2014, at 7:40 PM
  • The Clarkton/Corning was cancelled due to inclement weather, haven't heard about a reschedule date.

-- Posted by jlw82 on Sun, Jan 19, 2014, at 8:42 PM

Good poll Uncle,And it appears you were right about Risco and i was wroooong!They just can't seem to put it together this year.

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Jan 19, 2014, at 11:18 PM

Yaeger,You are right about class 2 having some big boy's in the post west platte and iberia are huge in the post!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Jan 19, 2014, at 11:21 PM
  • I seen Iberia and west platte both last year at Columbia. West platte should have another solid team and if iberia's big man worked on his game any at all they'll be tough to beat.

-- Posted by olediehard on Sun, Jan 19, 2014, at 11:24 PM
  • looks good matt

-- Posted by kmasters on Thu, Jan 23, 2014, at 10:34 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: