Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: UNOFFICIAL Small School's Top 10 Poll - 2/16/14

Posted by Uncle Charlie on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 7:21 AM:

Hello to all and welcome back to UC's Unofficiall Small Schools Top Ten 10 Poll brought to you by yaeger's flask. The final week of the season is upon is but before the depression sets in for some, we first must focus our attention toward what looks to be an exciting playoffs. In the end, it's been another successful basketball season and everyone who's been posting since November give yourself a pat on the back, even you Dustin. We've had a season so far dominated by your sterotypical contenders. I looks for the playoffs to be no different.

First off, this week's installment will be the the last poll before districts and the end of the season. Once again, we've had foul weather in the area within the past two weeks, so we'll be doing some crunching for this poll making it more interesting. Dates between 2/3 - 2/15 will be included. Here you go for the teams:

1. SCC - Since the first of the season, SCC has dominated the small school field. Some say the Braves have the best shot to make it to the state finals in class 1 in our area. I find it hard to disagree. These past two weeks have been no different for SCC, going an impressive 5-0 including a season sweep victory over Oran and a hard fought win over an improving Oak Ridge team (Just like I said all year). SCC gears off in class 1 district 2 next week as the heavy favorite. The Braves will be a fun playoff team to follow.

2. South Pemiscot - There's a good thing going on in Steele right now. As the season gets shorter, the Bulldogs get better. This always seems to be a good recipe for playoff success. Within the past week, South Pem has emerged as the favorite for class 2 district 1 some say. Within two weeks time, South Pem has played a good NMCC team to a single possession, and beat rival Hayti easily in their most recent matchup. A 3 seed in Columbia would sure be good forum material.

3. Bernie - yaeg's been in the flask more than often these past two weeks. With unimpressive losses to ND, South Iron, and somehow Malden on Friday, the Mules are choosing the wrong time to falter. The good thing for Bernie is they won't see too many teams that have the skill set SI, ND, Sikeston, and Kennett bring to the table. Coach Botsch will have the Mules focused and ready come Saturday I'm sure.

4. Oran - The injury bug has flew into Oran since my last poll. Oran has lost a leading scorer and defender to injury but the Eagles have not slipped yet and had an impressive OT win against a very hot shooting Chaffee team less than 24 hours after the injury. Still, Oran lost an irreplaceable part for the playoffs but most (Me included) think Oran has enough playoff experience and coaching to do well come playoffs, especially with where their located and matched up with.

5. Hayti - Hayti hasn't been playing good ball of late but I don't think it matters as Hayti always fares well in the playoffs. Size and strength are the two biggest assets to have come playoff time and if any team has these, Hayti does also. We'll see if Hayti can fare better now that they're better rested if they matchup with South Pem in districts.

6. Leopold - Leopold has been putting up Leopold numbers of late. Not impressing anybody but not letting anyone down. Snow and Leopold go together like oil and water so Leopold has been somewhat stagnant these past two weeks but has managed a win at the cracker box against a decent Advance team.

7. Advance - Advance continues to improve throughout the season. Some say they have what it takes to finally come over the hump and defeat Oran. Chris Asmus is providing the extra sideline spark, so one is quick to agree. Advance played Leopold to a close game at Leopold which is more than difficult to go and play at, and played what I think is a good Meridian team to a one possesion game all within the past two weeks. A huge step for the Hornets since early December.

8. Oak Ridge - I have been giving the nod to Oak Ridge since the season started, and when it looked like they were going to let me down, they got their biggest win of the year so far against Chaffee this past week and played SCC to single digits on a 39 point performance for Below. A couple good seniors and a good coach will look to have a deep playoff run. Oak Ridge however has a surplus of work to do before even thinking about being a contender to SCC.

9. Chaffee - The biggest question for Chaffee at this point, is if they have enough gas left to be in the playoff hunt. Since Montgomery's injury, no depth has surfaced and the Devils are still looking for somebody to ease a lopsided scoring load. Chaffee's let a win slip through their hands to Oran and been outplayed by Oak Ridge all the past week. If Chaffee slows the game and controls the tempo while hitting their shots, they'll have the size and athleticism to play with any class 2 team.

10. Holcomb - Congrats to Holcomb for securing my final ten spot. A spot that has not been occupied by the same team in back to back weeks all year I don't think. Being 11-10 and playing a tough schedule within class 2 district 1 has caught my eye for the Hornets as being the bottom feeders in the poll. Good luck in the playoffs Hornets.

BUBBLE: Risco, Clarkton, Puxico

Replies (67)

• How's that Unc don't forget our win over Hayti you can say what you want about me you're still upset over the spanking we gave you. Clarkton should be in and Hayti would smoke oran

-- Posted by yaeger on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 7:46 AM
  • But your more upset your Mules are faltering right now, so I'll still enjoy my day. By the way, Clarkton lost to Risco.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 7:55 AM
  • The Mules are not faltering. every loss we have is to very good teams. The Malden loss is understandable to those that know. Ellenburg is out, Kirkpatrick didn't play and Jennings went out in the third with a turned ankle and we still played close. Nobody plays good every night. S Pem, Hayti or Bernie could win this district and anybody that wants to can say this team is the best (The best doesn't always win)The Mules will be there and ready..

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 8:39 AM

I love it the you always mention Chris Asmus when talking about Advance. Haha.

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 8:51 AM
  • Thank you fanatic get him off my back all he tries to do is make me mad but yet he's the first to complain about chance getting injured

-- Posted by yaeger on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 8:53 AM
  • Some on here need to embrace the phrase "never let them see you sweat".

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 9:10 AM
  • IMO. Injurys are part of the game and what seperates good teams from great ones is how they respond when they deck is stacked against them. With that being said I think bernie has just as good of a chance as any class 2 team to make a playoff run. No matter the talent level they put on the floor they will play hard nosed fundamental basketball and coach botsch will have a good game plan. That is one thing that does separate bernie from other teams in the district, being disciplined and fundamentally sound.

-- Posted by hornets2010 on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 9:13 AM
  • Thanks for the comment hornet2010. Nobody should count out those Hornets either or Portageville, they took S Pem to overtime not long ago and played fairly close to SCC... I really believe these teams are equally matched and it will come doen to game plan and execution.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 10:29 AM
  • Holcomb is 14-9.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 10:29 AM
  • Maxpreps is wrong on Holcomb's schedule Unc. The Neelyville game has the score reversed, so that's why it has Holcomb with 10 losses. It's missing the Delta C-7 game and another one that Holcomb won to show the correct record of 14-9.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 10:41 AM
  • After looking back, I stand corrected that Holcomb's record is 13-9.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 11:14 AM
  • Class 2 district 1 has been a very good and consistent district over the past 5 years or so Not many districts have that much parity especially when the teams are above average

-- Posted by hornets2010 on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 1:31 PM
  • Thank you smo and SMI! I try to avoid posting records for that reason but nonetheless, I still think Holcomb should be in the 10 spot. SMI, I'm glad you played enough ball with him growing up to catch my drift.

Anyways, Bernie's lost to maybe a .500 Malden team a week from districts. They're faltering as in, not playing good enough ball to make as deep as a playoff run as most in Bernie would like to speculate. However, they're just as capable as the next guy.

Yaeger, your immature and if you knew who I was and my background, that would bother you, someone like me saying that.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 1:56 PM
  • Another great column Unc. But at this point I don't think Chaffee is a Top 10 team. I would put Risco (who is red hot, winning 9 out of 10 games) at #9 followed by Holcomb at #10.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 5:03 PM
  • Chaffee's only bad loss this season is losing to Oak Ridge by 17.. Every other loss is either by 5 or less or against Charleston or SCC.

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 8:55 PM
  • why would that be matt ??????

-- Posted by kmasters on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 9:01 PM
  • just wondering matt, do you think oran will beat oran if they get to play again ???? I would say probably not sorry, but with chance out so is orans chance of making a deep playoff run, imo sorry

-- Posted by kmasters on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 9:12 PM
  • who's Matt?

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 9:16 PM
  • Risco beat Holcomb at Holcomb on January 24th and has only lost 1 game since. They just recently defeated Clarkton for the Tri-co crown and knocked off twin rivers tonight @TR by 15 points. I'd have to have them in the #10 spot over Holcomb. Risco has split with both clarkton and Holcomb this year (winning the most recent games) and defeated Puxico in their lone matchup.

-- Posted by swingaway on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 9:21 PM
  • he knows im not giving away his name hahahahaha

-- Posted by kmasters on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 9:22 PM
  • His name isn't Matt

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 9:25 PM
  • When risco list to Holcomb at Bernie they were missing their coach and Cody young! Cody also didn't play in the loss to Holcomb! Can't see how you can rank Holcomb above them! Risco's record is 15-8 winning every game since Cody has been playing!

-- Posted by proud pa pa on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 10:21 PM
  • Boy I tell you these rankings are important.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 10:23 PM
  • Jwhitlock they are simply a discussion/opinion board. You don't have to participate if you do not enjoy them or think they are unimportant.

-- Posted by swingaway on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 10:28 PM
  • Thank you for letting me know that. Now I can retire and ride off into the sunset.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 10:39 PM
  • Anytime!

-- Posted by swingaway on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 10:54 PM
  • Strike 3

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 11:03 PM
  • Dropped 3rd strike. On safely at first and I'm stealing on the first pitch.

-- Posted by swingaway on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 11:45 PM
  • Thank you Fall. The guy has called me Matt on more than one occasion this year. I guess the hint wasn't taken after the first time.

On a sidenote, I don't think you've even seen Advance play this year, nor Oran for more than maybe a couple occasions. I barely see you at the SCC games anymore. I know you weren't at the game last night, which you wouldn't have understood what Oran was doing anyways.

With all this being said, the district is Oran's to lose IMO but Advance can pull it off, as can Chaffee. Oran has a cake walk to the championship game. Advance is the better team and match up better with Oran but I could see Advance oveelooking Chaffee similiar to what they did in their conference tournament. Chaffee has maybe the best trio in the tournament also.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Wed, Feb 19, 2014, at 6:37 PM
  • Sounds to be I missed Risco slippin in the ten hole. However, I'm going with Holcomb if the two teams matched up tomrorrow.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Wed, Feb 19, 2014, at 6:39 PM
  • Risco and Holcomb split, and the game Risco won was on a shot at the buzzer. Holcomb is 14-9 (one game worse than Risco) while playing a schedule that is VASTLY superior. (Bootheel Conference/Class 2/Bloomfield Christmas Tournament rather than Tri-Co/Class 1 and Clarkton Holiday Tourney). While I think the 10 spot in such rankings is merely a courtesy, I'd say these factors were a basis for the decision.

-- Posted by No sir on Wed, Feb 19, 2014, at 8:41 PM
  • If I'm not mistaken, every single game outside of Risco's conference play has been a class 2 or bigger school (minus Oran). They play many of the same teams, the biggest difference being in Holliday tournaments. Risco lost to Cairo Illinois and Gosnell Arkansas in their Holliday tourney... Not exactly slouch teams. As far as if they were playing tomorrow who I would pick, I'm going with the hot hand, Risco. Regardless of who you play, 11-1 in their last 12 games is hard to argue with. So a "VASTLY SUPERIOR" schedule may be a stretch. That being said, I'm pulling for Holcomb in their district!

-- Posted by swingaway on Wed, Feb 19, 2014, at 9:13 PM

Uncle,I do think Oran cruises to the finals of that distict but i would like your opinion of this young ellington freshman after you see him!

-- Posted by porchswing on Wed, Feb 19, 2014, at 10:33 PM
  • Will do porch!! Thanks for the heads up. They have a tough first round matchup against Brett Hale's Bismarck Indians. I won't be there Saturday so hopefully they can pull it off.

@swingaway, Oran is class 2.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Wed, Feb 19, 2014, at 11:09 PM
  • Nice one Mr. Charlie... Ranking S Pem ahead of Bernie just to get yeager's goat. Have scouted both these teams this year and have to say Bernie's fundamentals & defense are much better than South Pemiscot. And I'm a neutral party.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Wed, Feb 19, 2014, at 11:12 PM
  • No, not at all. I feel South Pem has played better basketball than Bernie between the dates listed. That doesn't mean they're the better team or they'll beat Hayti and Bernie in districts either.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Wed, Feb 19, 2014, at 11:18 PM
  • Holcomb barely beat Gideon last night!! What was it 2 points or so!?

-- Posted by proud pa pa on Wed, Feb 19, 2014, at 11:22 PM
  • well lets see Risco has played Gosnell, Cairo, Clarkton 2x, Holcomb 2x, Oran, Twin Rivers, Gideon 2x Puxico, Hayti South Pem, Seanath, Century Ill, Delta C7 2x Cooter 2x and their first game of the year was against a 4a school I believe @ Van Buren. Advance was on the schedule but was cancelled do to weather.sounds like a pretty good schedule for a school with 53 kids in HS I sure don't see that Holcombs is any tougher.....and the first time they played Holcomb they had a 13 pt lead on them at half so No sir I don't see your point.

-- Posted by 2BAT on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 12:20 AM
  • Bat, I'm a big Risco fan. Bixler is a beast.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 1:06 AM
  • Uncle definitely agree with the Hayti players being rested for districts. I will be attending several district tournaments starting Saturday in Delta. Really looking forward to the Scott County Central game at 4:30PM Saturday. Will additionally be at some of the Malden & Bloomfield Tournament games next week.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 1:15 AM
  • Unc looks to me like you need to redo your rankings your team is really faltering getting beat by one guy. Maybe your coach should have took his wife and kids out to do some scouting and they wouldn't have got their *** beat so bad haha

-- Posted by yaeger on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 3:24 AM
  • Rough Yeager rough .....

-- Posted by hornets2010 on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 5:12 AM
  • He didn't blast on you when bernie lost to Malden?

-- Posted by hornets2010 on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 5:12 AM
  • Yaeger, I know what you mean. Oran threw the book at Below but just couldn't stop him.... I agree, I would hate to know how much sleep coach lost after really needing to win that one....

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 5:31 AM
  • yeah he did he has pressed my buttons all year and even got into personal business when I asked him a simple question about woodland. He knows what I'm talking about.

-- Posted by yaeger on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 6:52 AM
  • Chill out bro! It's just a silly forum where people purposely stir the pot. It does entertain me on slow days at work though :) .... One has to wonder if Campbell can make a run for the district title this year :)

-- Posted by hornets2010 on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 7:10 AM
  • I would say the Holcomb/Risco discussion is a toss up. Risco has been hotter lately, and won the last matchup. I'd also agree that Risco does a great job of trying to add as many competitive teams to their schedule as possible. However, the gap between the Tri County vs. the Bootheel, and the two Christmas tournaments, is so wide, Holcomb probably does have the better resume. So toss a coin. In the end, who cares? This poll means nothing in the grand scheme of things, it's just for fun. As for Yaeger, chill bro, the sun will come up tomorrow regardless of the outcome of Bernie's next game.

-- Posted by Rocky09 on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 7:48 AM
  • As a parent of a Bernie varsity player it's tough sometimes to get on here and see some of the comments and not get mad. You simply have to hold back (God says the tung is that of a 2 edged sword)and know that the kids are reading this. I actually believe that know one really means any harm to the kids and if we actually met at a game and disscused bball it would probably be good conversation. I know yeager personally and he is a great guy that loves his mules very passionately as you guys love your team. I hope our mules go all the way and I'm sure you hope your team goes all the way as well. I think when district starts it will be best for me not to be on here or very little. good luck to everyone in districts.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 8:22 AM
  • I'm chill but he refers to me often i was one of the first words mentioned in his rankings of bernie and like I said he's gotten personal not just with me but other people. I don't get on here to argue but most people take me too serious I usually say most things just for reactions and it seems to work

-- Posted by yaeger on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 8:59 AM
  • I graduated from holcomb and I honestly think Risco belongs in the ten spot. Yeah holcomb has played a little tougher schedule but hasn't really best any of the better teams they played. Both teams have won the games they are supposed to, only difference is Risco has been rather hot of late. They are pretty we'll equal in my eyes, been blown out by the same teams, both best senath by single digits, and split their 2 games against each other. That's about as equal as it gets, so to seperate the two I say go with the team that's hotter at the time being.

-- Posted by hornets2010 on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 10:40 AM
  • Replace best with beat!

-- Posted by hornets2010 on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 10:42 AM
  • I like Risco and Brando Bixler.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 3:27 PM
  • Thank you Rocky. The fact your letting me bother you this much yaeger, just shows my claim on your immaturity. It looks as if constructive critcism isn't in the curriculum at Bernie.

Is it baseball season yet? Geez.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 5:25 PM
  • Yep you ruin my day ever day old man

-- Posted by yaeger on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 5:37 PM
  • Unc: Don't acknowledge that idiot. The real fans at Bernie realize his stupidity. Old man.

-- Posted by gostlrams on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 5:48 PM
  • Yaeger you seem to be that typical person that can dish it out but can't take it. You admit that you say most things just for reactions and it seems to work. Yet when someone does you that way you have a serious meltdown. The sad part is that Bernie has an awesome basketball program but I often find myself rooting against them because of you. I guess every town has that one fan like you, UFO from Scott City, etc. that kind of overshadows the team and gives your town a black eye. Let the Mules hard work and dedication earn them respect and not lose it because of you and your immature remarks!

-- Posted by playdeep on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 6:01 PM
  • Yep I'm tore up over all this serious meltdown

-- Posted by yaeger on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 6:07 PM
  • I would like to echo Playdeep's comments. As someone that scouts a number of teams in the SEMO area. Bernie has had an outstanding program with great coaching the last 6 years or so. They have also had a pretty good run of players the last 6 years. And I fully expect them to win thier district this year. However, looking past this years Sr class there is a drop off in players after that. You can see current Jr's Ellenburg, Sparks, and Trammell, have logged major minutes for their varsity this year, and will be main stays on varsity next year. However, which other Jrs with step up next year? As far as the Jr Varsity, the team has really struggled this year. You can see 3 sophomores that will come onto the varsity next year. 2 of these players are gamers and will compete just fine. After that there are lots of questions. I am anxiously awaiting the next two or three seasons and look forward to how the coaches will handle adversity.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 6:41 PM
  • Forgot, Vernon has logged some pretty good minutes for varsity this year as a Jr at Bernie.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 6:45 PM
  • Play deep you act like Charlie is a victim here. Read his rankings when he ranks bernie I'm the first thing he mentions not the basketball team and i have been arguing with him not talking about bernie.

-- Posted by yaeger on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 6:49 PM
  • ^I don't care yaeger nor does anyone else.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 6:56 PM
  • I have always rooted for Bernie because of their great work ethics and coaching. But after dealing with Yaeger this year I find myself rooting against them.

-- Posted by butkus on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 7:14 PM
  • to the person who message my wife, i was not talking to you, nor was it intended to you, i know your name on here so quit worrying about it, it was a question that i ask a buddy on here so if you want to say or know something message or call me!!!!!!!!!! pretty simple huh not my wife

-- Posted by kmasters on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 7:33 PM
  • uncle i wouldnt say a cake walk on any givin night anyone can be beat,,, dont count the eggs before they hatch is all im saying,,,,but i agree its orans district to lose

-- Posted by kmasters on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 7:38 PM
  • Yeager you really should not get to worked up by Charles.

I really don't see nor have I ever read any comments that would give me reason to get all up in arms about a lack of respect being given to Bernie.

I also agree that we will all find out what the program and everybody involved with that program are made of in the future. Something tells me coach Botsch and coach Long will find a way to keep Bernie relevant.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 7:39 PM
  • and uncle the reason i have missed some games this year is due to work,,,,,and yes i do work, seems like all the time here lately.....

-- Posted by kmasters on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 7:40 PM
  • Whitlock it has nothing to do with bernie it all started with him talking about me I don't think I ever said the word bernie the guy even started a forum on me LOL I have tried to get along with him and be civil and talk about basketball but it's impossible he would always come at me and when I say something back I'm the bad guy but enough about this and good luck to every team in the semo area

-- Posted by yaeger on Thu, Feb 20, 2014, at 8:04 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: