Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: C4D1 Championship: Cape vs Sikeston

Posted by Swoop on Thu, Mar 6, 2014, at 10:52 PM:

Cape and Sikeston meet each other for the second time this season. What are your thoughts on the class 4 district 1 championship game?

Replies (60)

• Cape pulls out a tight one 58-57. Goes on to Columbia

-- Posted by Stlball10 on Thu, Mar 6, 2014, at 11:09 PM
  • Cape with upset they playing good ball 56-53

-- Posted by Loveball on Thu, Mar 6, 2014, at 11:34 PM
  • I picked Cape Central to win it at the beginning of the year. I can't change my mind now. Have to stick with it, regardless.

So far the only district winner I have missed is Eminence over South Iron.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 12:04 AM
  • But I think Sikeston might have a roll of the dice chance against Cape Central.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 12:05 AM
  • I'd say Sikeston has much more than a "roll of the dice chance". They are the one seed and already beat Cape by 15 at Cape. That being said, I expect an exciting game that ends with Sikeston winning by 5-10 points.

-- Posted by Swoop on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 12:23 AM
  • Cape is going to have to keep the ball in the hands of Statam and Young bringing it up the court in order to have a chance. The way the other guards played against ND was horrid. ND always plays solid defense, but Cape had way too many unforced turnovers. Can't do that against sikeston and be successful.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 2:08 AM
  • Sikeston by 9

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 6:46 AM
  • The girls game will be more exciting than the boys game.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 7:41 AM
  • Sikes will win by double figures. Will go to Columbia, and lose. But I do think they get there. Dexter girls will win. They also get to Final Four. And then....well......no chance. Shame because they are good. But what can u do?

-- Posted by bball79 on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 8:21 AM

Dustin, did you honestly say "Sikeston might have a roll of the dice chance against Cape Central." Have you watched either team play? Sikeston is the 1 seed and already beat Cape at Cape. Granted, this is districts and its gonna be a different level. Also, a different level of orange (walls, floor, Cape's jersey) will be in effect tonight. But the main point is Sikeston certainly has more than a "roll of the dice chance."

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 9:13 AM
  • Dustin thanks for giving us a "slight" chance. Have u ever even seen Sikeston play?

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 9:15 AM
  • Methinks Mr. Ward would make a great fisherman. He snags some dandies from time to time.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 9:17 AM

Well looks like he trolled me....I took the bait :(

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 9:19 AM
  • Hoops...you beat me to it!

Far be it from me to be "the voice of reason" when it comes to Sikeston hoops, but.... Mr. Ward just set out a trap. Good on ya, DW in KenMo. Dustin is like an animal at the zoo..."Don't feed him" and he won't mess with you. Nice try though, DW.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.... Tonight's game should be pretty good. I expect the Dogs to win by 10ish. Cape has a size advantage, but they don't guard the perimeter particularly well. If the Dogs can get a three to fall, that opens up the interior for JT, Reese, and Jairius to go to work. Also, rebounding will be key. Sikeston will need to control the glass to be successful. As I said previously, I like the Dogs chances.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 9:24 AM
  • It's all good 21, most of us old timers spotted it pretty quickly. I'll "learn" you this spring. Ha!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 9:25 AM
  • Winner to columbia, book it

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 9:25 AM

Okay master Rocket, thanks for looking out for such a young grasshopper like myself.

But, tonight's game will be keyed on A) Rebounding, B) Free Throws & Layups because they only matter in close games and championships, which this game will probably be both. Finally, how many turnovers can Sikeston force Cape into and how rushed can they make Cape.

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 9:29 AM
  • No doubt about that cirithungol. This quarter is WEAK this year. In one of the districts I don't think there is anybody more than 2 games over .500. I think the winner goes to Columbia and takes 3rd or 4th. I'd be shocked if they win state.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 9:43 AM
  • As much as I'd like to see Cape win, I think Sikeston will win this one by about the same margin as last time.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 9:45 AM
  • It's not as weak than when ND made back to back runs to the final four in 07 and 08. Great ND teams those years, but probably the weakest road to the final four ever. That's why it was tough to lose to them those years, because you knew you could punch your ticket to the final four. The following two years it got realigned and Sikeston had to butt heads with Borgia in the quarters.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 9:57 AM
  • You're rooting for ND's top rival, Cape? Are cats and dogs living together?

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 9:58 AM
  • As usual i am in 100% agreement with ur astute observations mr farmer!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 9:59 AM
  • When is the game supposed to be played?

-- Posted by lolyouaredumb on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 10:28 AM
  • 730 tonite following a great girls game at 6pm. Supposed to be on yhctv.com ifya cant make it!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 10:34 AM

6pm Girls Dexter v ND

7:30 Boys Cape vs Sikeston

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 10:36 AM
  • Cape's guard play almost got them in trouble last night. They turned it over quite a bit.

I didn't see the stats, but ND didn't shoot it very well from behind the arc (from my best recollection). They had several open looks.

21...I agree on the rebounding. We HAVE to keep them off the offensive glass.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 10:59 AM
  • semohoops, was that the year they played St. Clair or someone like that? That was pretty rough if I recall correctly.

I guess I never got into the Cape-ND rivalry too much while I was there...it wasn't real competitive at the time, and that was in the midst of the Sikeston-ND battles.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 11:14 AM
  • Yes, St. Clair was the quarterfinal opponent, not exactly murderer's row back then. Here is the rundown.

07, ND beat Farmington by 12 in sectionals, then beat St. Clair by 38 in quarters

08, ND beat DeSoto by 43 (up 43-0 before DeSoto scored, then beat St. Clair by 30.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 11:24 AM
  • And just FYI, the likely sectional opponent this year is Farmington, who Sikeston only beat 63-55 and Jackson also beat by a similar score. So I wouldn't exactly call it a cakewalk to the final four. Gateway Tech is still alive too, who everybody thought Sikeston would crush last year but ended up being a dogfight to the end.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 11:26 AM
  • Yah that farmington game seemed like we were up by twenty the whole game but the scoreboard kept sayin otherwise. I kept thinking we were gettin shorted on pts but it was a home game and that never happens at a home game haha! Farm played very disciplined and shot well from outside, they just wouldnt go away.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 11:32 AM

I think this game will be similar to the last one. A good close game, with Sikeston up around 5 or fewer at half. Then 3rd quarter Sikeston will expand the lead to 10 and by the end of the game win anywhere from 11-15. I hope it is not as close though, Id prefer a bit more comfortable lead

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 12:30 PM

Sikeston is the favorite obviously but whoever wins is marching to Columbia. This bad last year have been easier paths to CoMo than the years when Sikeston battled Borgia in the quarters.

I'm glad to see DW is expanding his trolling from the baseball threads to the HS basketball threads

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 12:41 PM

Need updates from Potosi tonight, between Farmington and Park Hills!

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 12:44 PM
  • this game gonna be televised, or streamed?or just on Radio?

Pull em through Rocket......

-- Posted by Headhunt on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 4:04 PM
  • Tonites girls and boys games supposed to be on yhctv.com live streamed and on yhctv cable channel for folks who have new wave cable

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 4:23 PM

Headhunt I believe they will be broadcasted on yhctv.

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 4:23 PM
  • thank you ......will see what I can find there.

-- Posted by Headhunt on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 4:26 PM

It's usually the same one on semo sports zone, does anyone else get like 15 commercials while watching?

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 4:50 PM

Why does cape have two cheering sections now? Do the fans forget their not the reasoning the game is happening? Or do they just want their moment of "fame"? Seems super childish

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 5:22 PM
  • What part of the gym is the second cheering section. I didn't notice two cheering sections last night.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 5:44 PM
  • I found the girls game starting....so good time to settle in and watch some B Ball. Appreciate the heads up

-- Posted by Headhunt on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 6:02 PM

Anyone heard an update from Farmington and park hills?

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 6:57 PM

Actually I heard its 40-40 after 3 quarters. Farmington and Park Hills.

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 7:03 PM

Farmington 51-45 over Park Hills. Unconfirmed but believe its final.

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 7:16 PM

Dexter girls 52 Notre Dame girls 50. 1:13 left in game.

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 7:20 PM

Overtime. 52 all.

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 7:25 PM

Doesn't matter how many district titles your school wins every time the PA announces the game is for the CLASS 1 DISTRICT CHAMPIONSHIP you get pumped up for the game. C'mon Dawgs.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 8:07 PM
  • You got to give it to Cape, they wanted it more tonight. Nothing about game but there school needs to go to WalMart and get them a PA system. It would have to be better than what they got. Well maybe that's where it came from

-- Posted by lastride67 on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 10:30 PM
  • How bout them tigers!! Sikeston went in to confident.

-- Posted by juicy j 98 on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 10:37 PM
  • bulldog21forever

Yes I have. Seen both play.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 11:20 PM

Sikeston has a good PA system. Their speakers are better than most in the area. It was just loud in the gym and they didnt have it turned up too loud.

-- Posted by thunderstick on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 11:24 PM
  • I know an upset was coming

-- Posted by Loveball on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 11:26 PM
  • Great season Sikeston. Good investment on those beat cape shirts

-- Posted by CTFan on Fri, Mar 7, 2014, at 11:36 PM
  • Hated to see my Bulldogs lose last night but they were definitely beaten by the better team last night. Cape stopped two streaks last night. The first team since 08-09 other Sikeston to win districts and the first team since 03-04 to win districts other than Sikeston or ND. Cape finally played like I thought they could play all year. Hope they play the next 4 games like they played last night. Congratulations and good luck the rest of the season.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Sat, Mar 8, 2014, at 8:08 AM
  • Tough to win a game when at one point your team is 1 for 26 from behind the arc and end the game 7 for 41.

-- Posted by mandm96 on Sat, Mar 8, 2014, at 12:42 PM
  • the beat cape shirts will be out every year...dont worry about it......not like you are gonna do this year after year....best of luck, but you will see them again....part of what makes rivalries....

-- Posted by Headhunt on Sat, Mar 8, 2014, at 1:07 PM
  • Cape will be back in class 5 before long won't they?

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sat, Mar 8, 2014, at 1:14 PM
  • I think Cape is going back to class 5 next year.

-- Posted by bball79 on Sat, Mar 8, 2014, at 7:26 PM
  • I read one headline that states Cape Central shocks Sikeston. I somehow doubt that Cape Central was shocked. Congrats, Tigers.

-- Posted by Pete Sims on Sat, Mar 8, 2014, at 8:46 PM
  • Cape was a real challenge for Jackson this year and I would like to see them go to final four. S/O to Statam/Young & Co. for showing up at Jackson's District Championship last night!

-- Posted by deal on Sun, Mar 9, 2014, at 7:59 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: