Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Leopold coach gone

Posted by leopold_championship on Tue, Mar 25, 2014, at 7:45 PM:

Was coach Beck fired or did he leave on his own?

Replies (53)

• What?

-- Posted by Areaguy on Tue, Mar 25, 2014, at 8:11 PM
  • What?

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Tue, Mar 25, 2014, at 10:01 PM
  • I saw where the leopold job is posted on moteachingjobs. Who has the inside scoop?

-- Posted by basketball365 on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 9:17 AM
  • I was surprised when I also saw the leopold job open. Coach Beck must have taken another position. Although that is just speculation. I dont really know any info

-- Posted by bootheelball on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 9:29 AM
  • I can tell you that this was not because he had taken another job. I was just wondering if he was fired or resigned.

-- Posted by leopold_championship on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 10:03 AM
  • Well if he isnt coaching at leopold next year but doesn't have a job lined up..then there is not much difference in being fired or resigning. Must be some kind of conflict from within the school system.

-- Posted by bootheelball on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 11:02 AM

Sounds like Leopold has the scoop just doesn't wanna feel responsible for putting him on blast

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 2:53 PM
  • Sometimes coaches leave when the talent is about to run out. Just a random thought. No knowledge of the current situation.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 5:44 PM
  • I do not know what happened, the person who told me would divulge info, just said he didn't leave for another job.

-- Posted by leopold_championship on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 6:54 PM
  • Not divulge

-- Posted by leopold_championship on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 6:54 PM
  • Most AD's are on their phones quite often, it's kind of part of the job especially at a school who is just now in the process of getting phones in teachers rooms. Also I know some of those younger boys and they would go to practice on a team that had about 6 kids in the first place and only 2 would show up. This is great for Coach, better things away from this place anyway! Small town politics will run off every good coach we ever have. Starting to look like a revolving door for coaches at Leopold.

-- Posted by Localhoopfan on Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 9:33 PM
  • Leopold seemed to have a very good year under the coach. It will be interesting to see if repeat success follows.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Mar 27, 2014, at 1:34 AM
  • I've always admired the work they do at Leopold to maintain their athletic programs.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Mar 27, 2014, at 1:59 AM
  • Is the job even open? It is not posted on moteachingjobs as of 2:00 pm today.

-- Posted by gov2pres on Thu, Mar 27, 2014, at 1:59 PM
  • It is to posted. Take a closer look gov

-- Posted by bootheelball on Thu, Mar 27, 2014, at 3:49 PM

The perfect person for the job lives less than 5 miles from the school. He is teaching elsewhere at the moment and would kill me if I mentioned his name. TOO BAD!

-- Posted by Bleed Greene on Thu, Mar 27, 2014, at 9:46 PM
  • CG

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Thu, Mar 27, 2014, at 9:58 PM
  • Who is CG? I have heard a certain assistant coaches name tied to the Hayti job who coaches at a pretty good program right now.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Mar 27, 2014, at 10:22 PM
  • Any rumor or whisperings of who the new coach at leopold is going to be?

-- Posted by john1234 on Mon, Apr 14, 2014, at 6:27 AM
  • New coach has been hired. Last coach gone because he's not a good classroom teacher. Who is CG?

-- Posted by Milan on Fri, May 9, 2014, at 4:16 PM
  • Lies... Fired because school board president's son wasn't deserving to play... And didn't.... The old coach played him constantly... Also one ex board member wants his son to have that job soon.... It was all to keep him from getting tenure... He taught keyboarding and study techniques, areas he has no experience in teaching, but the school is too cheap to do it right. We all signed petitions to keep coach but our board has an agenda. The kids love him and they practice more than all other sports combined. Only problem is all other sports have parents who help and coach in the off season. Coach has to do it all alone, they wouldn't advertise to get him an assistant, took his preps away, and he is AD. They keep giving teachers more and more reaponsibilities and less time to get it all done and expect more results. Our board is a joke but that's ok we have started clearing house!! We are losing good teachers every year and when everything starts to go downhill the board will have themselves to blame. Last time I talked to administration they thought he was a good teacher and wanted him to stay. Boards agendas always ruin good programs...the focus should be on the kids.

-- Posted by Localhoopfan on Sat, May 10, 2014, at 12:05 AM
  • Well, one thing that is not a lie is interviewing at other schools while he was still there. Know that for a fact because I've talked to the administrator that interviewed him at one place. Know for a fact that they didn't practice very much because I've talked to the kids that said he exact same thing. As for no assistant, that's the nature of small schools, The volleyball coach seems to do well on her own without a paid assistant.

-- Posted by El Burro on Sat, May 10, 2014, at 10:41 AM
  • What is wrong with someone interviewing at another school while working at another? That's the way it's done. Coaches,administrators/teachers seldom wait till the summer, then "hope" to find another position elsewhere. In fact, that's the way things are done at just about any kind of work place.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Sat, May 10, 2014, at 10:06 PM
  • Several coaching positions open. Do you know any of the new head basketball coaches?(Woodland, Hayti, Kelly....)

-- Posted by stlcardsfan on Sat, May 10, 2014, at 10:45 PM
  • Dustin Ferguson left Clarkton, and will be at Hayti next year.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Sat, May 10, 2014, at 11:12 PM
  • Localhoopfan, before slinging mud & spreading things that are untrue, try getting your facts straight. In your attempt to defend Coach Beck, you are really only hurting him. Trust me, I've been told, this difficult decision was made with the Leopold students best interest at heart.

-- Posted by catfacts on Sun, May 11, 2014, at 10:08 PM

localhoopsfan You really need to get your facts straight before you go to saying thigs that are not true.There were some issues that went beyond what you think you may know. As far as the board being a joke and cleanig house. You better becareful on what you wish for! The board has no agenda and its people like you that have the agenda. As far as I know they haven't lost any good teachers. The board in place is very capable of and is doing the very best job possible.

-- Posted by goBIGblue on Mon, May 12, 2014, at 8:25 AM
  • Why wasn't he given an assistant coach? I wouldn't want to be there either if that's the case. He had a senior who didn't play basketball on the bench with him.

-- Posted by gettinweird on Mon, May 12, 2014, at 8:37 AM
  • And the comment about the lack of talent bc lack of practice is laughable

-- Posted by gettinweird on Mon, May 12, 2014, at 8:38 AM

Coach had a guy he wanted and the board was gonna hire him and he backed out. Pretty sure the coach didnt want one after that.

-- Posted by goBIGblue on Mon, May 12, 2014, at 11:44 AM
  • The assistant job was posted online. If they didn't want to hire him an assistant, why post the job.

-- Posted by El Burro on Mon, May 12, 2014, at 3:12 PM
  • He may have only been a PE teacher, but there was some dissatisfaction even in that role as far as his teaching skills go. No structure when he had kids in PE.

-- Posted by Milan on Mon, May 12, 2014, at 3:55 PM
  • Its funny that i just seen this topic but I can tell you first hand he had a lack of effort to be dedicated to developing players. Another thing that is never adressed to anyone around the school is he is a creeper. Not sure if the school knew of some of his actions but Lets just say he is better off somewhere else.

-- Posted by Small School Tool on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 2:52 PM
  • I know nothing about Leopold, Coach Beck personally, or the local politics. I went to a small school too. But if I am understanding what is being said and he was responsible for coaching varsity, junior varsity, and junior high without an asst. coach, that is an impossible work load for one man.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 3:02 PM
  • We had a total of maybe 25 kids total in high school and less than 15 kids in junior high. That isnt to many kids to handle. Leopold is smaller than most small schools.

-- Posted by Small School Tool on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 3:05 PM
  • It isn't about the number of kids, it's about the number of practices and games involved and the fact that there's only 24 hours in a day. Plus he has classes to teach including some he evidently wasn't qualified to teach. One man trying to coach 4 teams is just too much to expect of one coach without any assistants.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 3:10 PM
  • He took the job knowing he had those responsibilities. He only had to teach a couple of classes for the first part of the day and the rest were PE classes. He did not have it that rough.

-- Posted by Small School Tool on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 3:22 PM
  • He only went 1 year without a assistant. Coach Thoma was probably one of the only reason the teams were half as good as they were.

-- Posted by Small School Tool on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 3:24 PM
  • Have you ever been a coach SST?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 3:34 PM
  • no but It is made out like he had it so bad. He was handed Shawn kinders talent (who obviously had no trouble with the job) when shawn decided to take a higher paying job and four years later look how the teams are. Kids dont even want to play.

-- Posted by Small School Tool on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 3:42 PM
  • I'm not addressing that SST. I don't have any knowledge about that. I'm just talking about the unreasonable work-load that you are expecting of ANY coach. If you have never coached before (as I have), then you just don't understand how demanding coaching one team is, much less four, on top of a full load of classes to teach. That's a situation your school board and administration is going to have to take a serious look at. Otherwise, you will be hiring a new coach every three or four years because you burn them out and they will be looking for a new job with better pay and more realistic job expectations.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 3:58 PM
  • Oh, so "P.E." classes are "not" classes? Very interesting assessment; probably by someone who's never had to "teach" physical education! Gosh, coaching is certainly easy, according to those who do all their coaching in the coffee shops the day after games!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 5:39 PM
  • although it's not ideal there was a time 20 years ago when, in many schools one man coached everything. Not saying it's easy, just that it happens.

At the same time it doesn't matter how many kids you have at Leopold. At minimum beck coached 3 teams a year if you consider that their jh probably only had one team.

Last point. Coaches at any school should be teachers first. Its my opinion that the district that have the mentality that an employee is a coach first that are missing the boat.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 7:54 PM
  • Whit I agree with you but let's be serious. If a coach, at any school, has losing season after losing season it doesn't matter how great of a teacher he is they will lose their job.

-- Posted by Radar99 on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 8:16 PM
  • The fact that you're saying "let's be serious" underscore my point, in my opinion. As a society we have some seriously misplaced priorities. If a coach doesn't work hard, put in the time and isn't fostering growth in the kids, he should be fired. A coach should never be fired for not winning enough IF he does the above and does not violate a moral code and does his or her job as a teacher. Not to mention the fact that if a coach does all of these things mentioned, he or she will not have losing season after losing season.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 9:20 PM
  • There are plenty of coaching jobs at the bigger schools that don't really need a coach to teach so i disagree with your point that a coach is a teacher first. I've known a few coaches that didn't even have a teaching certificate

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 9:32 AM
  • Well after reading all this nonsense from some of these posts it is now months later & I think most in Leopold know why Coach lol Mr. Beck was let go. Yeah, he looked for jobs elsewhere during the season. (Not the way its done unless your a ungrateful person) Yes he didn't hold practices like a Coach should. He was on his phone constantly ,but not for work more for personal reasons.Also have any of you who may not know the real reason he was let go ever heard of minding your on business & keeping your opinions to yourself till you know the real reason. As one of the very first posts said "he wasnt let go because of basketball reasons"nor was it the board & someones son etc.It wa his choice of the running of his personal "affairs" & how he handled them that got this no good coach let go.He also handle his leaving in a foul manner & showed no respect to those who gave him the chance or to the people of this town especially thoseclosest to him.So Good riddance a good luck in your ventures at your new " coaching" job.

The best thing to come out of this is the new Coach we have now. He is a great guy who loves to teach & work with the great students of Leopold High School more than I can say for last "coach" who. ....well I won't go there. Just happy to finally have a real basketball Coach who has the pedigree to make this program get to the next step. Along with being a great man who loves the small town atmosphere & all that comes with it. SoI wish you the best Coach B & all the success in the classroom, town & basketball.

-- Posted by MissouriMule 1 on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 10:17 AM
  • Well after reading all this nonsense from some of these posts it is now months later & I think most in Leopold know why Coach lol Mr. Beck was let go. Yeah, he looked for jobs elsewhere during the season. (Not the way its done unless your a ungrateful person) Yes he didn't hold practices like a Coach should & if he couldn't handle teaching & coaching responsibility he shouldn't of taken job in the first place. He knew what was expected when he agreed to job.He was on his phone constantly, but not for work more for personal reasons.Also have any of you who may not know the real reason he was let go ever heard of minding your on business & keeping your opinions to yourself till you know the real reason. As one of the very first posts said "he wasnt let go because of basketball reasons"nor was it the board & someones son etc.It wa his choice of the running of his personal "affairs" & how he handled them that got this no good coach let go.He also handle his leaving in a foul manner & showed no respect to those who gave him the chance or to the people of this town especially thoseclosest to him.So Good riddance a good luck in your ventures at your new " coaching" job.

The best thing to come out of this is the new Coach we have now. He is a great guy who loves to teach & work with the great students of Leopold High School more than I can say for last "coach" who. ....well I won't go there. Just happy to finally have a real basketball Coach who has the pedigree to make this program get to the next step. Along with being a great man who loves the small town atmosphere & all that comes with it. SoI wish you the best Coach B & all the success in the classroom, town & basketball.

-- Posted by MissouriMule 1 on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 10:21 AM
  • Well after reading all this nonsense from some of these posts it is now months later & I think most in Leopold know why Coach lol Mr. Beck was let go. Yeah, he looked for jobs elsewhere during the season. (Not the way its done unless your a ungrateful person) Yes he didn't hold practices like a Coach should & if he couldn't handle teaching & coaching responsibility he shouldn't of taken job in the first place. He knew what was expected when he agreed to job.He was on his phone constantly, but not for work more for personal reasons.Also have any of you who may not know the real reason he was let go ever heard of minding your on business & keeping your opinions to yourself till you know the real reason. As one of the very first posts said "he wasnt let go because of basketball reasons"nor was it the board & someones son etc.It wa his choice of the running of his personal "affairs" & how he handled them that got this no good coach let go.He also handle his leaving in a foul manner & showed no respect to those who gave him the chance or to the people of this town especially thoseclosest to him.So Good riddance a good luck in your ventures at your new " coaching" job.

-- Posted by MissouriMule 1 on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 10:26 AM
  • One last thing, if your not living in Leopold or a part of the school this is none of your business in the first place. Mind your own, worry about yours & not everyone & thing else.

-- Posted by MissouriMule 1 on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 10:29 AM
  • Oh I forgot, are volleyball & baseball teams have no paid assistant coaches & as for volleyball 11 district titles a few State titles & runner ups I'd say they are doing just fine. As for baseball couple of sectional appearances & upcoming players will take us far & a few kids in college because of both these coaches I'd say just fine without paid assistants if they have one at all. So don't want to hear it, plus Coach Toma & those players is why Mr. Beck accomplished what he did.

-- Posted by MissouriMule 1 on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 10:34 AM
  • BIG ELW-You and I are talking about two separate things. I understand what you're saying. That does take place. My point is that schools that hire a coach to only coach and don't hold them accountable for their classroom responsibilities are missing the boat.

I'm not referring to Leopold or any other school district specifically. I'm just making general comments concerning the subject of whether or not a coach is a teacher first.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 10:43 AM
  • Well in that case Wildcat5, I guess we won't hear from you on any other thread that doesn't specifically mention Leopold, will we? Remember Semoball is a public forum. When someone posts a thread on here, they are, by implication, inviting anyone who is interested to post a comment.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Sep 30, 2014, at 12:49 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: