Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: New Basketball classifications are out! Big Changes

Posted by BBfanatic on Sat, Apr 5, 2014, at 1:38 PM:

Bernie, SCC, S Pem and Chaffee in same district.

Replies (69)

• Well I guess that ends Bernie and South pems runs at post season play

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sat, Apr 5, 2014, at 10:38 PM
  • SCC has Jeffery Porter ( Jr.) returning. What other players return for the Braves? Winning districts and advancing in class 2 will be more difficult then class 1.

SCC has been the largest school in class 1 and now they are one of the smallest class 2 teams in Missouri.

The Braves must now deal with private schools who can be more of a challenge then class 1 public schools.

The class 2 state champions last season lost their best 2 players before the season started but had 6 new players move in. How can the SCC Braves compete with this private school?

1. Lavandis Banks

2. Juwan Owens

3. Javonta Daniels

4. Cmeron Blissett

5. Matthew Blissett

6. Kendall Blissett

7. Jeffery Porter

-- Posted by metro-dude on Sat, Apr 5, 2014, at 11:19 PM
  • I would be interested to know what SCC is losing this year as well. I think they lose quite a bit. Banks, at least one Blissett and others I know. Can someone verify?

-- Posted by bball79 on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 7:38 AM
  • What private schools?

-- Posted by yaeger on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 7:41 AM
  • Big your statement is laced with ignorance for two reasons.

Firstly, Scott central, while still being good, loses quite a bit and this past years team would not have won class 2, as would've been the case in years past.

Secondly, they will only be class 2 for two years and then will certainly because of numbers drop back down to class 1.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 8:41 AM
  • How do you know they wouldn't have won Class 2? They beat a team by 48 points that finished in the Top 8 in Class 2.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 9:20 AM

I bet metro dude can sleep with a smile now that SCC is class 2

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 11:59 AM
  • I know because I have enough sense to be able to sit and watch two teams and tell you when one is definitely better than the other. Simply put, Scott central would not hkave been favored against sacred heart, Iberia, canton, or west platte.

As far as their win against meadville goes, their ranking doesn't mean anything. Rankings are many times nothing more than useless pieces of information.

Finally, this is not a bash Scott central post. They won the class1 state title and are the greatest program in the history of the state.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 1:18 PM
  • First I didn't say they would win state I said Bernie and South pem chances are over because they won't get out of districts.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 1:37 PM
  • Who said anything about Meadville?

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 2:23 PM
  • Big, nothing has changed. You still are clueless about any team in class 1 or 2. That doesn't mean I don't think Scott central can or can't win. Of course they can win. They will be the favorites coming into the season. But to say there's no one in their district that can beat them is quite frankly ridiculous.

Champ there's not one team that won a class 2 district in the entire state that Niangua would beat.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 3:00 PM
  • JWhitlock

A couple facts for ya. SCC went 7-0 against Class 2 teams this year. Advance (made it to the Quarterfinals, that means they finished in the top 8 in Class 2) lost to Scott Central by 48 points.

The road will be tougher, but to think SCC wouldnt have had a chance in Class 2 this year is ridiculous.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 3:13 PM
  • BIGELW AND OTHERS, IS IT A SECRET ON " Who are the returning players " for the SCC Braves for the 2015 school year? Jeffery Porter returns for sure but that's not enough to be a top 10 team in class 2.

It appears South Pemiscot and SCC should be the favorites to win class 2 district 1 based on returning varsity players.

Sacred Heart was undefeated while winning the class 2 state championship this past year and based on returning players, should win it again in 2015.

Who are the returning players for South Pemiscot?

-- Posted by metro-dude on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 3:42 PM
  • You're right I'm pretty clueless about class 1 and 2 because it pretty much isn't fun to watch besides Scott Co. SCC and Charleston both will put a team on the floor that will be the favorites by end of the year every year even when everybody thinks there going to be down they usually are winning district year after year. I'm curious how many times have the teams in their district now beat them?

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 5:26 PM
  • bball79, The SCC people will not answer a simple question like " Who are the returning varsity players " from this years class 1 state championship team.

I may drive down to Oran to see the " SEMO BASKETBALL CZAR ", Larry Doby about high school basketball in the bootheel. The Czar is a walking book of information on basketball in Southeast Missouri.

-- Posted by metro-dude on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 6:16 PM
  • Chaffee likely has some good years in the near future. Not sure if next year will be the climax, but the future looks bright in Chaffee.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 7:23 PM
  • Metro dude, can't u just look up their roster then u will know??

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 7:25 PM
  • The real winner in all these changes may be Clarkton or Advance next year.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 7:26 PM
  • One has to hope they play the Class 2, District 1, tournament at Bloomfield again next year. Central location.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 7:32 PM
  • Here are my preseason rankings:

1. Scott County Central

2. South Pemiscot

3. Bernie

4. Chaffee

5. Bloomfield

6. Campbell

7. Cooter

8. Holcomb

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 7:35 PM
  • Champ. It doesn't matter what they did this past year against whoever. Next year is a different year with different teams and different players. That being said, I'm glad we agree on something because I never said Scott central could not win next year. I ONLY said that it's ridiculous to say that others don't have a chance. Time will tell as far as that's concerned.

Big, please keep the comments coming because they just reinforce what I've always said about you. Oh, by the way charleston is class 3, not class 1 or 2 which is the classes that we've been referring too.

I also agree with Dustin regarding the preseason rankings for next year with this group of teams.

As far as key players from this years varsity Scott central returns porter, one blissett and javonta Daniel and I believe that's it. I'm sure they have some Jv kids and other returning players that will get better.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 8:20 PM
  • Campbell could be the biggest sleeper of them all. Don't count out the Camels next season. The near future looks bright for Campbell.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 8:47 PM
  • One has to hope district favorites schedule each other in the regular season next year.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 8:52 PM
  • A Bernie-Chaffee or South Pemiscot-Chaffee game in December could be fun.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 9:04 PM
  • Does anyone else have thoughts regarding the upcoming talent I've heard about from people in other towns regarding Chaffee that may be a year or more away to go with their current group?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 9:12 PM
  • Can u not comprehend what I said or what. I noticed u didn't answer my question about the records those teams have against SCC. I've agreed what u have said about me not knowing much about small school basketball and there's a reason I don't watch it or keep up with it.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 9:40 PM
  • Comprehend this. I don't care what their records are against whoever. They have won way more than they have lost. I'm not saying Scott central won't win. I'm saying you have no clue about this and therefore should not say who will do what regarding these teams.

As far as talent that may be coming ups it will depend on who works to get better.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 9:46 PM
  • BIGELW

I'm not a big fan of listening to what large-school philosophy folks think about small-school folks. If you live in a large school you might respond that Clarkton won a district title this season but couldn't beat a large school like Sikeston that could have beat them by 30. So since Clarkton couldn't beat Sikeston they have no right to be happy. Logic is logic and I don't think it is Clarkton's fault they put together a good team in a small town.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 9:56 PM
  • I bet whether you enjoyed watching it or not the kids that won state titles in small schools enjoyed it.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 9:59 PM
  • What about the kids that didn't care about whether you watched them or not this year who live in small towns Big Town? If Chaffee wins the Class 2 state title in 2018 does it matter if they beat Notre Dame or Charleston Dec. 30?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 10:13 PM
  • Maybe if realignments fall right Chaffee and Campbell are playing each other at Farmington Civic Center in 2017 in a Class 2 state quarterfinal.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Apr 6, 2014, at 11:06 PM
  • Dustin, fregarding your preeseason ranking, Is that the updated list for class 2 district 1.. seems like a team or two is missing, Who (if anybody) moved up to class 3 that would normally be in district 2-1.?

-- Posted by hoopaholiczanon on Mon, Apr 7, 2014, at 4:41 AM
  • You don't care what their records were because none of those teams have prolly beaten SCC in years. The difference is SCC will go out and play top competition and by the time districts comes around they are more than ready for district play. And Dustin nobody really cares what you have to say.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Apr 7, 2014, at 7:08 AM
  • Hayti/Senath/Portageville moved up to class 3.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Mon, Apr 7, 2014, at 8:06 AM
  • Thanks for clearing up what experienced players the SCC Braves have returning. Porter, Daniels and a Blissett were posted as returning players. Playing in class 2 will be a challenge for the Braves but with the rich tradition that SCC has anything is possible.

Defeating teams like Sacred Heart, West Platte, Canton and Harrisburg will be much more difficult then South Iron, Risco, Leopold and Clarkton.

SCC has 17 state championships. Has all of these 17 championships been in the smallest class?

-- Posted by metro-dude on Mon, Apr 7, 2014, at 9:10 AM

I think SCC won some in Class 2 as well.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Apr 7, 2014, at 9:13 AM
  • SCC was class 2 in 1980 when they beat up on eventual NBA player Joe Klein and Slater by 40 in the class 2 state finals.

-- Posted by oldroundballer on Mon, Apr 7, 2014, at 9:18 AM
  • Thanks oldroundballer

According to your post, the SCC Braves have 16 small school championships and one class 2 championships. The Braves have been moved to class 2 this year ( 2015-16 ) and will have a chance to win their second class 2 championship.

Has any of the SCC players became high school coaches? If so where?

-- Posted by metro-dude on Mon, Apr 7, 2014, at 9:36 AM

SCC wont necessarily move back down to Class 2. The last time they did this, everyone said "Cape will only be Class 4 for a couple years until the next re-alignment." Well its been two years with and the districts are once again out with Cape in Class 4. For all we know SCC could be Class 2 for a while.

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Mon, Apr 7, 2014, at 12:57 PM
  • Why would any body be dumb enough to argue against SCC.

-- Posted by jayrod on Mon, Apr 7, 2014, at 2:29 PM

Have they released the classification method yet? I am interested to see the school enrollments. This reclassification seems drastic. Advance hasn't been Class 1 in years.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Mon, Apr 7, 2014, at 2:35 PM

Yes JD, links for both are on MSHSAA's homepage.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Mon, Apr 7, 2014, at 2:53 PM
  • Metro-dude you already know who the former SCC players that have been coaches or coaches today. The only one you may not know is Matt Cline at Richland.

-- Posted by baller on Mon, Apr 7, 2014, at 3:25 PM
  • Baller, I don't know any former SCC players who have become coaches. Could you make us a list?

-- Posted by metro-dude on Mon, Apr 7, 2014, at 3:44 PM
  • Metro-dude I guess your not the same guy on MoSports with over 10,000 post, because that guy would know the answer.

-- Posted by baller on Mon, Apr 7, 2014, at 4:02 PM

Thanks for the help, Larry! Much appreciated.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Mon, Apr 7, 2014, at 4:43 PM
  • I don't read anything where anyone is arguing against Scott central.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Mon, Apr 7, 2014, at 5:54 PM
  • I predict Advance, Delta C-7, South Iron or Clarkton will play in the Class 1 state championship next season.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, Apr 8, 2014, at 12:26 AM
  • Don't forget the talent the Bell City junior varsity developed under an outstanding first-year coach this season.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, Apr 8, 2014, at 12:28 AM
  • Sometimes history repeats itself when the time is right.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, Apr 8, 2014, at 12:29 AM
  • BIGELW

It's unfortunate you don't appreciate small-school basketball.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, Apr 8, 2014, at 12:33 AM
  • South Pem lost 4 or 5 in their rotation. They have 2 or 3 guys coming back with varsity experience. Sorry, can't think of all their names. Trammel, Primer, Wilburn, Carter, and one of the bigger guys off the bench are all seniors. Thanks for info on SCC returning guys. That's all I wanted to know. They will be solid but state champs seems like a reach. I have to admit, I don't know anything about their JV players from this past season though. Who all graduated from Bernie? I know Jennings and Wagner were seniors, but not sure who else. Sorry, but their JV was simply not good this past year. They may have a couple of down years soon.

-- Posted by bball79 on Tue, Apr 8, 2014, at 4:20 PM
  • Bernie will have Ellenburg, Vernon, Sparks, Trammel as well as others. They will compete and I believe they will be in the district final game, IMO. Bernie lost 7 seniors.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Tue, Apr 8, 2014, at 4:45 PM
  • Bernie will also have Gavin Smith. Big kid, will be pretty good.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Tue, Apr 8, 2014, at 4:47 PM

7 seniors is a lot of turnover, especially considering how their JV has played. The district championship goes through SCC

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Tue, Apr 8, 2014, at 5:08 PM
  • Anyone that has paid any attention to bernie basketball and how they do things should know better than to assume they will have some down years because of one Jv season. I would bet that Bernie will do what they've always done, find a way to improve. That doesn't mean they will be top dog either. But when Jv squads are real successful we put to much into that. When they are not so successful we are quick to write them off. Bottom line is there a lot of time and work for all teams to do before next February. Don't be so quick to write other teams either. Your name doesn't matter, it's the work

South pem has plenty of bread to compete with Scott central. They return the Johnson brothers and glen Jackson who are as quick and athletic as anyone Scott central has. A wild card for south pem could be their 6-4 inch soph to be. His name escapes me right now but he's got a chance to be a factor.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Tue, Apr 8, 2014, at 7:45 PM
  • jwhitlock: Jabari Herron

-- Posted by gianthook on Tue, Apr 8, 2014, at 8:09 PM
  • That's it. Thanks

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Tue, Apr 8, 2014, at 8:23 PM
  • Ward I'll be really surprised if the seeds next year shake out like you have them. Especially 4-8. SCC is obviously the top team according to the eye test. Bernie and S.Pem. will be right there also. After that its a crap shoot it looks like to me. You can't really base varsity success on jv accomplishments because sometimes what jv teams run doesn't translate well to the varsity level. How many "great" j.v. teams underachieve once they hit varsity? The same applies to Jr. High reams also. How many great Jr. High players fall off the face of the earth once they hit high school?

-- Posted by navinjohnson on Tue, Apr 8, 2014, at 10:31 PM
  • Campbell will be on the rise based on my observations.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Apr 9, 2014, at 1:10 AM
  • SCC HAS 3 EXPERIENCED PLAYERS RETURNING FROM THEIR CLASS 1 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM PLUS TRADITION.

The Braves are moving up a class. Based on the 3 players returning, is that enough to go deep in the play offs. South Pemiscot is an up and coming class 2 school with a strong coach in place and talented players coming up.

Another thing South Pemiscot has going is the " Payne Scholarship " which offers big bucks for anyone who graduates from South Pemiscot high school to attend a Missouri University. ( UMSL, UMKC and UMC ) The scholarship is worth up to ten thousand per year for 4 plus years. This is huge for any parent who wants their kid to attend college and have a better future.

Look for South Pemiscot to get a few move ins in the future because of the " Payne scholarship ", school rating and the job opportunities in near by Arkansas.

-- Posted by metro-dude on Wed, Apr 9, 2014, at 6:45 AM

anyone who graduates from there gets the scholarship!? Or just one person gets the scholarship!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Apr 9, 2014, at 8:40 AM
  • His name is Jabari Herron jwhitlock. They have another decent guard in Michael Smith that will be an incoming sophomore, as well.

-- Posted by Shank on Wed, Apr 9, 2014, at 9:15 AM
  • Anyone gets the scholarship. This money is awarded to any amount of students not just one. I live in the St. Louis area. Two doctors friends of mine live in Wildwood and have offices in Eureka, Missouri. They used "The Payne scholarship " to help attend the University of Missouri. One is an eye doctor and one is an animal vet.

BuckMajor, if you have kids wanting to attend the University of Missouri and could live anywhere in SEMO, would you move to Sikeston, SCC, Oran, Dexter, Bernie or South Pemiscot?

-- Posted by metro-dude on Wed, Apr 9, 2014, at 9:28 AM

Sounds like a pretty impressive scholarship. Good for them. Hmmm that's a great question. Well none of my kids do live in those towns, but let's say I had the chance to move. I'd have to think about that. Prolly first choice would be Sikeston for reasons other than school (wish they would have passed that bond issue to fix up the schools). But second would be South Pem. That would be a heck of a scholarship that would help with student loans for years to come. All you college grads know how those student loans haunt many people for years. Saving kids any little bit is great.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Apr 9, 2014, at 10:16 AM
  • metro-dude

I'd probably send them to Notre Dame.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Apr 9, 2014, at 11:05 AM
  • Granted that wasn't one of the options you listed.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Apr 9, 2014, at 11:07 AM
  • now just whot are yuou taklin bout Dustin Wad? y woulde you sent yuor kids to nockre dame Bucko? and Bok Major just whot bout skieston Bucko? thougt you where like just wam am were a nmcc fan.

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Wed, Apr 9, 2014, at 11:18 AM
  • Notre Dame does not give scholarships after high school to attend college and I can't be sure about high school. A Notre Dame education prepares for success. Good choice Dustin Ward.

-- Posted by metro-dude on Wed, Apr 9, 2014, at 11:20 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: