Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Has MSHSAA Changed The Basketball Final Four???

Posted by drawmules on Tue, Jan 5, 2010, at 11:13 PM:

I received a report from an unnamed source that MSHSAA will likely alter the Final Four schedule this season. It is my understanding MSHSAA is considering using two facilities for the Final Four. The change will only impact Class 1, Class 2 and Class 3. The schedule I received indicated state semifinal games would be played at two facilities on Thursday. This means it will be impossible to watch all of the Class 1, Class 2 and Class 3 state semifinal games. The third place games for Class 1, Class 2 and Class 3 will be played on Friday at Mizzou Arena. The championship games for Class 1, Class 2, and Class 3 will be played on Saturday at Mizzou Arena. Any thoughts basketball fans? Can anyone confirm this change will indeed take place this season?

Does anyone know how far the Hearnes Center is from Mizzou Arena? I am curious how difficult it would be go go back and forth from the two facilities if a fan has a desire to watch some of the games that will be played in the Hearnes Center and some of the games that will be played in Mizzou Arena on Thursday.

Replies (15)

• I don't know about the changes. I'll ask around.

I do know that Hearnes and Mizzou Arena are across the street from each other. You can park in the middle and get from one building on foot in a few minutes. Super quick and easy.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Tue, Jan 5, 2010, at 11:26 PM
  • I had heard rumors the change would take place next season. However, I was suprised when I learned it is possible the change will take place this season. I won't share my thoughts on the potential change right now. I'll give other forum posters a chance to share their thoughts first.

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Jan 5, 2010, at 11:44 PM
  • I read on MoSports that this change will take place. This is coming from a guy who is at nearly every state tournament game and who is also a host to the visiting teams in the state tournament, so I figure he would know if anyone.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Jan 6, 2010, at 12:12 AM
  • The changes have just been posted on the MSHSAA website. There are also changes in the sectional and regional host sites. One change I noticed is the Class 2 regionals will not be held at West Plains this season. Last year Bernie and Portageville had to drive to West Plains to play a state regional game. This year the state regionals will be held at Poplar Bluff High School. Dexter High School will also host the Class 3 sectionals.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Jan 6, 2010, at 12:25 AM
  • I like the idea A LOT, although I would rather see the Final Four moved back to Springfield (but that's another story for another time). The way it was set up before, there were semifinal games being played at 9am with the final games of the night being scheduled for 9pm (and depending on the length of the previous games could end up starting even later). While I know there is always the argument "well it doesn't matter what time they play, they should just be thankful they get to play in the final four", in all honesty that is pretty weak statement. The final four is for the kids, not anyone else (unless you count MSHSAA making $$$) and I guarantee you ask any player, or any coach for that matter, and they would say they would rather not have a very early morning or very late night game. They've worked very hard to get to the final four and therefore it should be set up to give them the best experience possible. So if that means I have to get up and walk a couple hundred feet from one gym to the other to see the games I want to see then that is fine with me.

After looking at the schedule, Hearnes is ONLY going to be used for the semifinal games on Thursday. It looks like the schedule is set up so that if there is a boys game going on in Hearnes, a girls game will be going on in Mizzou Area (and vice versa). Class 2 boys are in Hearnes at 12 and 1:40....Class 3 boys in Mizzou Arena at 3:20 and 5:00....Class 1 boys in Hearnes at 6:40 and 8:20. I will be one of those that will probably go back and forth in order to watch all the boys games. One thing to point out before everyone begins to worry about having to pay multiple times to go from one building to the other, it is my understanding that you will only have to pay once to go into each arena and that you are allowed to re-enter with your ticket. This is no different than in years past where you paid to get in the morning session then was kicked out for an hour and had to pay again for the evening session.

-- Posted by Crash Davis on Wed, Jan 6, 2010, at 12:35 AM
  • Good move getting that quarterfinal game changed. Last year was pretty ridiculous having two schools only 30 miles apart have to drive 3 hours for a single game.

-- Posted by Crash Davis on Wed, Jan 6, 2010, at 12:39 AM
  • The final four schedule for the girls has not been posted on the MSHSAA website. Here is the final four schedule for the boys in Class 1, Class 2 and Class 3:

Thursday

Class 2 (Hearnes Center)

12:00 p.m. semifinal #1

1:40 p.m. semifinal #2

Class 3 (Hearnes Center)

3:20 p.m. semifinal #1

5:00 p.m. semifinal #2

Class 1 (Mizzou Arena)

6:40 p.m. semifinal #1

8:20 p.m. semifinal #2

Friday

(Mizzou Arena)

Third Place Class 3 1:40 p.m.

Third Place Class 2 5:00 p.m.

Third Place Class 1 8:20 p.m.

Saturday

(Mizzou Arena)

Championship Class 3 1:40 p.m.

Championship Class 2 5:00 p.m.

Championship Class 1 8:20 p.m.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Jan 6, 2010, at 12:46 AM
  • Crash Davis

I did not agree with playing games at 9 a.m.

In my opinion, one way to farther improve the schedule would be to play all of the boys games at one facility and all of the girls games at the other facility. The current schedule has the Class 2 and Class 3 boys at Hearnes and the Class 1 boys at Mizzou Arena. I think it would have been better to play all of the games at the same facility. All of the girls games could then be played at the other facility. There would be an argument it is unfair for the boys to play at a different facility than the girls. However, the boys and girls could take turns playing in each facility. This year all of the boys games could be played in one facility and all of the girls games could be played in the other facility. Next year the boys and girls could switch facilities.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Jan 6, 2010, at 1:00 AM
  • Final thought: At least we don't have to play the state basketball tournament in the Municipal Auditorium. The volleyball teams are required to play their state tournament in the Municipal Auditorium.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Jan 6, 2010, at 1:02 AM
  • I don't like it , would you have to pay just to get into both places ? Say I wanna go scc play I would have to pay AGAIN just to watch them play ?

-- Posted by BlueJay Fan on Tue, Feb 14, 2012, at 2:22 AM

You pay once and get a bracelet for entry into both arenas. Everyone loved it last year.

-- Posted by nimbus on Tue, Feb 14, 2012, at 3:59 AM

I was thinking that this change occurred, last year. I remember reading on MoSports what people thought about it, last year, after it was over and there were mixed reviews.

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Feb 14, 2012, at 6:18 AM
  • -- Posted by Larry Doby on Tue, Feb 14, 2012, at 8:03 AM

sorry just saw that that post was 2 years ago.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Tue, Feb 14, 2012, at 8:05 AM
  • You pay one time a day, get a bracelet and can go back and forth between both venues. Easy and a 2 min. walk between them. No problems and the same set up was used last year.

-- Posted by semo ref on Tue, Feb 14, 2012, at 8:50 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: