Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: What are your thoughts on the "Jungle"?

Posted by semoballfan93 on Thu, Jan 7, 2010, at 11:43 AM:

I think the Jungle is a dedicated group of fans that goes to almost every game home and away and if theres one thing Central puts out every year its a good cheering section.

Replies (28)

• I agree. The Jungle is great for high school basketball. I wish school administrators at some of the smaller schools would allow students to cheer at games like Cape Central, Notre Dame, Sikeston and Jackson students are allowed to cheer at games. One school administrator informed me things are more likely to get out of hand when students are allowed to stand up and cheer at games. I have been to several Cape Central, Notre Dame, Sikeston and Jackson games and nothing has ever got out of control. Let the students be students at games.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Jan 7, 2010, at 12:13 PM
  • I don't see them at too many away games other than ND or Jackson. If they don't think they will win, I see around 10 Jungle members. I guess they are allright though.

-- Posted by kingjames on Thu, Jan 7, 2010, at 3:39 PM
  • I was kinda impressed with them at the Christmas tournament. Central was never really in the ball game but they cheered all the way through. I thought it was funny when Bobby Hatchett missed a dunk I think when Central was down by almost 30 pts. they started chanting "YOU CAN'T DUNK". They kept the game a little bit intersting.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Fri, Jan 8, 2010, at 10:08 AM
  • Overrated group. They don't travel if the game is more than 10 miles out of Cape. In town, they're not bad but they're not as supporting as you think. Sikeston and Jackson both travel well and cheer loud no matter where the game is partially because they have built up at least slight rivalries with all the big boys in the area the past few years.

-- Posted by Boss Man on Fri, Jan 8, 2010, at 11:18 AM
  • The Jungle may not travel as well and aren't as large in numbers as other pep groups, but I think their chants are the best and their outfits and costumes are second to none.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 8, 2010, at 12:31 PM

The jungle, the dawg pound, and other schools pep clubs are ok but they don't have anything on the Sikeston Red Peppers and the Bums. Both have been around for 82 and 39 years respectively. They are a big reason why Sikeston hasn't lost at home since 2007.

-- Posted by sbulldog4life on Fri, Jan 8, 2010, at 3:28 PM
  • So Boss Man which school do u go to jackson or sikeston...and how would u know if the jungle travles or not. The jungle has only missed one game this year and that was the first game against NorthWest up in stl. i would like to c any of those other cheering sections show up to a game that far away.

-- Posted by ctjungle11 on Fri, Jan 8, 2010, at 5:12 PM
  • ctjungle11, I can't speak for Boss Man but I went to every night of the SEMO Conference Tournament and the Jungle had almost no turnout, no chants, and were just flat. I'm gonna assume you are a current member trying to defend your group but I'm just saying what I saw. They're disappointing.

-- Posted by s-town4292 on Fri, Jan 8, 2010, at 9:37 PM
  • Sikeston travels very well. Jackson as well. ND at times. However, I'd like to see Sikeston's Bums and Peppers combine for a game or two. That would be a huge group! Bigger than the jungle at home I bet.

They all are good though.

-- Posted by kingjames on Fri, Jan 8, 2010, at 11:01 PM
  • Most of the bigger schools are going to bring a decent crowd for games that are meaningful, and for most Friday night games. Very few schools, if any, bring a very big crowd on a weeknight to a game 30 minutes+ from home unless it's some sort of rivalry game.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Jan 8, 2010, at 11:04 PM
  • Like I said in another blog earlier, I believe they can say what they want, as long as they don't yell a players name!!

They can chant all they want, it makes most games very interesting.

-- Posted by tlks2much on Sat, Jan 9, 2010, at 9:23 AM
  • At halftime Advance leads Saxony Lutheran 31-15.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, Jan 9, 2010, at 12:35 PM
  • The above post was posted on this thread by accident.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, Jan 9, 2010, at 1:29 PM

Jungle last year was great but this year it is pretty bad. They were almost as bad as the Dawg Pound this year during the Christmas Tourney.(Our student section is weak except at home) Nobody creates a better home-court advantage than the Dawg Pound at ND.

-- Posted by NDstudent13 on Sat, Jan 9, 2010, at 11:04 PM
  • I've never been to a basketball game at Notre Dame. But I will get my first opportunity to see the Dawg Pound in action later this season.

We really should have a competition to determine which school has the best pep club. I don't think it would be hard to find someone to judge the competition. The judge would need to be someone that goes to games at all of the schools. The pep club that won the competition could get a free pizza party or something compliments of the sponsor for the competition. It might be too late this season. But it is not a bad idea for next season. Just a thought.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, Jan 9, 2010, at 11:18 PM
  • I haven't got to go to an ND home game in a while, but I know they have had a pretty weak showing at some of the road games I've been to. They have just as many students in the stands as most schools, but they are awfully quiet for the most part, even in close games. Nothing like years past, in my opinion.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sun, Jan 10, 2010, at 12:53 AM
  • Wow, nice screen name! I think I'm gonna change mine to...Favorite Team: Who Ever is Playing ND!!!!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sun, Jan 10, 2010, at 9:54 AM

Maybe the kids would like scratch and sniff stickers...WOW!!!

-- Posted by Haterade on Sun, Jan 10, 2010, at 10:08 AM
  • Lol, no kidding Rocket. Kind of like the OverHypedBlueDogs guy on MoSports. Keepin' it classy.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sun, Jan 10, 2010, at 11:49 AM

Well which team is he talking about ... ND or Portageville?

-- Posted by Haterade on Sun, Jan 10, 2010, at 3:17 PM
  • What else would you expect out of a "few" Farmboy and Rocket? Only takes 1 or 2 to ruin things. Just like some complain about a few Sikeston fans, I think we see the reason why some don't like the ND fans as well! All it takes is one idiot!

-- Posted by mandm96 on Sun, Jan 10, 2010, at 6:28 PM
  • Sho' nuff. How about you show some Sikeston good-will and pull your fantasy team starters for a couple nights....I don't like 2nd place.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sun, Jan 10, 2010, at 6:38 PM
  • Whatttt???? We still have 12 weeks of basketball left! :) It looks like if the scores stay the same right now, you will still only be 2 points behind. But, Phi Slamma will be tied with you! I will see what I can do for ya a little later on. Might cost you a visit to a good duck hunting spot!

-- Posted by mandm96 on Sun, Jan 10, 2010, at 7:24 PM
  • Ohhhh crap. You don't want to hunt with me this year. Bad luck doesn't even describe it.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sun, Jan 10, 2010, at 8:06 PM
  • Boss Man you must have not been at the Christmas Tournament when the J-Crew didnt even show up for Jacksons game vs. Oak Ridge....the jungle blows the J-crew out of the water in numbers and noise

-- Posted by gocardinals987 on Sun, Jan 10, 2010, at 8:19 PM
  • let me stand up for the jungle and say that we have a rly comitted jr class. none of the seniors come because they didnt get any of the stuff passed down to them last yr. the freshmen and sophmore classes have about 5 ppl come. i know the jrs send out a mass txt to over a 100 ppl. and send a facebook message to around 150 ppl. we try to have ppl support but just cnt get a decent turn out

-- Posted by ct for life on Sun, Jan 10, 2010, at 8:40 PM
  • ct for life

Send out a mass text to all your friends on facebook and tell them to create an account on semoball.com and discuss basketball. The more the merrier!!!

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Jan 10, 2010, at 8:57 PM

i do think that the jungle from cape n the bums/red peppers are a great way to motivate your team on to a victory n i think that more skools should have that support. im a junior @ nmcc n our pep club is nowhere near any of theirs!!

-- Posted by EagleAgent00 on Mon, Jan 11, 2010, at 9:30 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: