Semoball

High School Football Forum: Who's the pre season Class 4 EAST team ???

Posted by Headhunt on Fri, May 14, 2010, at 12:04 PM:

Who's the Class 4 Team to Beat in the East now that Helias is back in the west?

18 Votes so far on MO Sports Poll..

MICDS 38.89%

Sikeston 16.67%

Farmington 0.00%

Ladue 16.67%

Festus 0.00%

Potosi 0.00%

Gateway Tech 16.67%

University City 5.56%

Affton 0.00%

Vashon 5.56%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intersting poll from MO Sports.

......so when is that last time Sikeston had any mention for being "the team to beat"...??

I think Ladue's QB from last year wil be a senior.....and historically MICDS and Gateway Tech are always talented programs..

University City came on STRONG last season towards playoff time.....would not be surprised to see them back in the hunt....

Replies (5)

• My vote is University City with Ladue and Sikeston running a close second. U. City gave some folks a scare last year and I believe they are a more complete team than the others on the list. However, Ladue was a junior heavy team last year and can't be counted out. Sikeston's chances will depend very heavily on the QB position. Who will step in and fill the BIG shoes of JuQualin Wiggins? If the dogs can find a good, athletic QB to run their spread, they should be fine. They return most of their offensive and defensive lines from last year as well as multipurpose weapon Tre Lewis and All-State linebacker Ray Clark.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Fri, May 14, 2010, at 2:30 PM
  • Defense , defense........the team that wins it ths year, as last year...will be a dominant defensive team........Tell me who will fill the bill in that category ?

Sikeston's keys last season, were 4 very good linebackers....speed and good coverage at the corners, and strength up the deep gut...s safety..

and a pretty good d line....

Unlike Sikestons 2008 campaign.....the 2009 version of the DOGS, were salty and seasoned...quality players at almost every position......even with a couple of key injuries on D line, they found a way , and underclassmen stepped up.....that is the sign of a strong mindset, tough practices, and players paying attention...

Coaching......good coaching of players that are hungry....

Strong hungry defense, makes it's own breaks....and keeps you in games, until your offense finds a way and wears them down....

I'll stick to that .....defense wins games...

-- Posted by Headhunt on Fri, May 14, 2010, at 4:02 PM
  • And I think Sikeston will be fine defensively next year. They return: the very athletic Tre Lewis at corner (or perhaps he moves to safety) Corey Porter, Ben Burton and Michael Perkins on the D-Line (Perkins didn't start last year, but he saw plenty of playing time and Corey was an All-State performer on the O-line, so you know he can play some ball.) Ray Clark at ILB (All-State from last year).

Sikeston is full of quick, athletic kids who are ready to step up and fill in the gaps from last year; these kids are good, they just weren't good enough or experienced enough to crack the starting line-up of what turned out to be the winningest team in Bulldog history. You have: Keldon Warfield, Eldridge Gibson, Quentin Washington, Treston Pulley, Dustin Brister, Blake Flanigan, Brandon Blissett and James Watson - among others - all waiting in the wings and are very capable of filling in for departed seniors.

These kids are talented. Will they be able to fill the shoes of Gratten Allen, Nuquavious Dixon, CJ Council, Kyle Valentine, Chris Jones, Josh Carlyle and Juqualin Wiggins?? In my opinion, they will be able to get the job done. Don't expect five or six shutouts, or holding the opponents to a sub 7 point/game average like last year, but the defense should be very competitive. But in the end, only time will tell.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Fri, May 14, 2010, at 4:14 PM
  • If you have speed and good coaching, you can have a great defense. How many teams do you see that run the ball every down? Not very many.

That is why Sikeston is still a serious threat to repeat in the district. Your going to lose players from year to year, but at Sikeston the speed doesnt drop off in my opinion.

More and more teams are going to the spread offense. They plays right into the hands of a defense with speed.

These are the teams Sikeston plays.

Obion County- Shotgun Spread

Charleston- possible spread team?

Dexter- mostly under, run

Jackson- shotgun spread

Cape- Shotgun spread

NMCC- Shotgun spread

Kennett- under run

Perryville- wishbone

Farmington- Shotgun Spread

Bluff- Shotgun Spread

If your going to run the spread offense, you better have some speed. If there is a ton of speed on defense, then your in trouble. Teams are going to a speed offense when they dont have any speed. That just makes it easier on the teams with speed. You tellin me that Jackson is going to be able to throw the ball all over the place and out run everybody? Heck no. They dominated teams when they were a powerhouse running team.

Sikeston lost a lot of key players, but that is the name of the game in high school. They will win 10 games this year.

-- Posted by HeHateMeToo on Sat, May 22, 2010, at 9:10 PM
  • I agree, speed is great....but speed with a killer instinct is better......lots of track stars, can run like the wind, but they sure dont wanna hit anyone, and sure as heck dont wanna GET hit.

Sikeston has had speed before....they will again...the thing that will make them , is can they get their D to hit, and collapse on opponents from the backside..and cut off the edge......I say this season, Sikeston will have a solid d line...and will have to find some horses at LB...getting to the ball is great, you just have to know what to do when you get there...

Last seaon Sikeston did an excellent job of allowing almost nothing offensively from anyone.....I think the seniors to be, got the benefit of seeing that intense game mentality and practice from last season.....and they know what is expected of them....that will be a difference maker, if they buy in, and make it their business, to live up to that benchmark set last season.

-- Posted by Headhunt on Mon, May 24, 2010, at 4:28 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: