Semoball

High School Football Forum: West Plains at Sikeston?

Posted by gohard2011 on Thu, Oct 15, 2009, at 12:02 AM:

What will be the outcome? Who will stand out? Does Sikeston improve to 8-0??? Let me hear your thoughts.

Replies (52)

• Sikeston 24-21 should be a good one

-- Posted by Kidrayray on Thu, Oct 15, 2009, at 10:33 AM
  • This is about the third time I've said this, but I believe THIS game will finally give everyone an idea of how good the Bulldogs really are. I thought the NMCC game would, but I don't believe it did. I have heard that Sikeston is back at full strength. From all reports, West Plains is better than their record indicates, but still not as good as in years past. If Sikeston doesn't win by two scores, I think they may have cause for concern. Poplar Bluff and Farmington will be stiff competition. Lose to West Plains, and the road to the playoffs becomes extremely difficult. Win, and it will be a 3 way dogfight right down to the wire. The winner of the PB v Farmington tilt will be sitting in a nice position. The loser will essentially be facing elimination next week. The games only get bigger from here on out.

-- Posted by pigdog on Thu, Oct 15, 2009, at 11:02 AM
  • I definitely agree with you pigdog. I think it will be very tough to come back and compete in the district if they lose to West Plains. However, i think Sikeston stays undefeated and surprises everyone by the margin. I know WP plays a tough schedule but I think the Sikeston defense will earn their respect this week and if the offensive line can come out and perform better than they did against Kennett, I think Sikeston will be able to move the football.

-- Posted by gohard2011 on Thu, Oct 15, 2009, at 5:01 PM
  • stownfootball,

I agree. Just how good is Sikeston's defense? This is the big question. Sure, Sikeston has played a weak schedule, but they have absolutely pounded their opponents - giving up an average of just over 5 points a game while the offense is averaging nearly 40. Now, I think you could be worried if Sikeston was barely winning, or if their opponents were scoring 25-35 points a game on them, but they are practically shutting out everybody. If you throw out the first game,(with Sikeston's abysmal 6 turnovers) the defense has only allowed 12 points ALL YEAR. Six of those points came on one 70 yard play and the other six came in the last 1.2 seconds against NMCC. NOBODY has sustained a drive against Sikeston all year. What does this mean? Who knows other than it will be very interesting to see how this defense fares in the district. Remember the old adage...defense wins championships.

-- Posted by pigdog on Thu, Oct 15, 2009, at 5:16 PM
  • I agree completely. I can't wait to see the show the defense will put on Friday night.

-- Posted by gohard2011 on Thu, Oct 15, 2009, at 8:21 PM
  • You have to consider that Sikeston's runners were real banged up against Kennett and that Kennett runs that really weird 10-1 defense that can be confusing at first. I wouldn't put all of that on Sikeston's o-line. Thank God for Juqualin too. Really carried the game against the Indians.

-- Posted by s-town4292 on Thu, Oct 15, 2009, at 10:42 PM
  • there d will get tested next week when they go to PB

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 8:36 AM
  • Their defense will be tested the next three games, not just by PB.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 10:05 AM
  • I don't think Sikeston has a weak schedule,I just think that teams are down.Charleston has a lot to work on,NMCC is struggleling but working without the main QB,Cape had played in I think 3 4A quarterfinals back in the early 2000's,Jackson just can't score but their "D" held Sikeston to 27 points on the road,Kennet was there for a half 7-0,Dexter moved the ball and are just a few players away from being the 'Cats of the ole,Fredricktown plays hard and did put up points,which was a game.Point,teams are just down this year,and let's not forget when Caruthersville put up 50,60 plus points on Sikeston 3 years in a row back in the early 2000's.Sikeston was what?DOWN and Caruthersville still didn't when state in class 2A.I hope Sikeston doesn't think they're invincible because the road gits harder and West Plains can vouch for that.

-- Posted by DonaldTrump on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 2:28 PM
  • Oh,then Poplar Bluff and Farmington!There is no 7-0 record,everyone is 0-0!!!

-- Posted by DonaldTrump on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 2:30 PM
  • Do SEMO football fans seriously believe West Plains has a shot in this game? I am not a football expert. But on paper this looks like a win for Sikeston.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 2:34 PM
  • I agree with the 0-0 comment, but i don't when anyone says something about Sikeston having a good year all anyone ever brings up is the years past when Sikeston wasn't as good. Last time i checked the calendar this is '09 not '08 or '07.

-- Posted by zach7691 on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 2:38 PM
  • I watched Sikeston play. In my opinion, they are very talented. But I don't watch alot of Class 4 football. Therefore, I am unsure what other Class 4 football teams look like. But I really like Sikeston in this game. Nevertheless, your comments have heightened my interest in this game.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 2:43 PM
  • I do think WP has a chance,that's why upsets happen every year!Justin Robison and Siketown upset North County back in the day.Everyone knew that was a loss,but the dogs stunned them!!!

-- Posted by DonaldTrump on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 2:43 PM
  • The past in sports will always be brought up,even The Four Horesman Of Notre Dame,to Jordan and Da Bulls,Michigans Fab Five,and heck they still talk about Christopher Columbus!?!Your point zach?

-- Posted by DonaldTrump on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 2:50 PM
  • Its HISTORY,without it,those kids wouldn't know James Wilder!!

-- Posted by DonaldTrump on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 2:53 PM
  • LOL so jayjayblue is this the game to see in Southeast Missouri if I don't plan on driving to Farmington and watching Poplar Bluff/ Farmington.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 2:55 PM
  • Help me out Sikeston fans! Should I stop at a restaurant in Sikeston before the game or enjoy the food that is available at the concession stand? What food is offered at the concession stand in Sikeston?

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 2:59 PM
  • Its a tough call,Sikeston has never beat West Plains, Bluff and Farm,what will be the outcome baby!!!

-- Posted by DonaldTrump on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 3:06 PM
  • If I had to pick a team to go 3-0 in this class 4 ditrict,I'm going with the Mules!!

-- Posted by DonaldTrump on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 3:10 PM
  • jayjayblue

If you had to pick a team to win the Sikeston / West Plains game who would you pick?

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 3:18 PM
  • Sikeston!Now is the time!!

-- Posted by DonaldTrump on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 3:24 PM
  • Sikeston by how many jayjayblue?

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 3:33 PM
  • Who do you truly like to win all 3 Drawmules!?!?

-- Posted by DonaldTrump on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 3:35 PM
  • Sikeston-28. West Plain-6

-- Posted by DonaldTrump on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 3:41 PM
  • I haven't seen Poplar Bluff and Farmington. But I will take Sikeston to win the district. But I think it gets really tough after districts. In my opinion, Southeast Missouri football is down this season.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 3:44 PM
  • I'm with Bluff. Bluff-26.

Farm-17

Bluff-24

Sike-21

Bluff-42

West Plains-3

-- Posted by DonaldTrump on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 3:51 PM
  • You may be right because I haven't seen Poplar Bluff.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 3:52 PM
  • What about the concession stand in Sikeston. What do they have to offer? I have to make a decision about dinner.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 3:53 PM
  • I'm not ready to declare the Sikeston / West Plains contest the game of the year. I'm not even sure it will be the game of the week. Nevertheless, some fans believe this game is worth watch. I have never seen West Plains play football. I guess it's time to check out the Zizzers. What in the world is a Zizzer?

But to all the West Plains fans out there, who I know are reading this forum LOL, Vince Lombardi once said "A man can be as great as he wants to be. If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done." I think Lombardi's advice might be useful tonight.

I'm off to Sikeston. I hope to see you there.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 4:18 PM

drawmules I think they have pizza there along with nachos and burgers. Bos BBQ on Malone is good and close by along with Burger King

-- Posted by mightymo on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 5:53 PM

I am rooting for Sikeston but hey I am partial to my alma matter. I went to school there when James Wilder was a star there. Good to see them do as good as they have this year.

-- Posted by mightymo on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 5:55 PM
  • I would say that PB-Farmington would be the better game but drawmules, if you are heading down to S-Town, avoid Lambert's, the food is good but it's always way too crowded. Bo's is good, Jays is good. Most places like that are. Enjoy it, I'll probably see you there tonight.

-- Posted by s-town4292 on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 6:21 PM
  • Touchdown Sikeston with 0:10 left in first quarter. Extra point no good. 6-0 Sikeston.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 7:29 PM
  • 80 yard touchdown pass by Sikeston. Two point conversion good. 14-0 Sikeston with 9:43 left in second quarter.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 7:39 PM
  • Touchdown Sikeston with 9:36 left in second quarter. Extra point no good. 20-0 Sikeston.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 7:42 PM
  • Touchdown Sikeston with 7:54 left in second. Two point conversion no good. 26-0 Sikeston.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 7:49 PM
  • Touchdown Sikeston with 6:50 left in the second quarter. Two point conversion no good. 32-0 Sikeston.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 7:55 PM
  • This is getting a bit out of hand...

(I'm listening on the radio.)

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 7:59 PM
  • Touchdown Sikeston with 5:53 left in second quarter. Conversion attempt no good again. 38-0 Sikeston.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 7:59 PM
  • Yes Crader. I may head to Dexter and watch the second half of Dexter/NMCC.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 8:04 PM
  • Hate to say I told you so.

-- Posted by s-town4292 on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 9:44 PM
  • Looks like Sikeston was able to slip past the Zizzers tonight. Haha.

-- Posted by gohard2011 on Fri, Oct 16, 2009, at 10:33 PM
  • Sikeston was amazing. But their conversion attempts were not. I think this is something they need to improve before they get deeper into the playoffs.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, Oct 17, 2009, at 12:06 AM
  • Good point, drawmules. Sikeston will have to play a near perfect game if they expect to win next week at Poplar Bluff. Missed extra points could very well come back to haunt them. They also continue to commit far too many penalties. I believe P.B. and Sikeston are very similar teams. Both teams have multiple offensive weapons and strong defenses. If Farmington had not recovered 3 onside kicks, the game may not have been nearly as close. Next week's game between the Mules and Bulldogs could very well decide both the district and conference championship. I would give Poplar Bluff the edge in terms of disciplined play and the kicking game, and Sikeston may have an edge in the passing game. Sikeston has a talented quarterback, as does Bluff, but Sikeston can throw to multiple receivers. Tonight, Wiggins threw for 221 yards and 2 tds - completing passes to five different receivers. Wiggins also rushed for 99 yards and 2 tds. Should be a barn burner next week.

-- Posted by pigdog on Sat, Oct 17, 2009, at 12:16 AM
  • I felt like Sikeston had great defense in both games I watched them play. The Sikeston defense could be a big factor next week.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, Oct 17, 2009, at 12:21 AM
  • Poised PB!That's what described the Mules play,POISED!

-- Posted by DonaldTrump on Sat, Oct 17, 2009, at 11:07 AM
  • Sikeston Bulldogs (vs) Poplar Bluff Mules.Ummmmmm...I'm going with the Mules!

Sikeston-31

Poplar Bluff-40

-- Posted by DonaldTrump on Sat, Oct 17, 2009, at 11:11 AM
  • If its a deffensive battle..

Sikeston-17

Poplar Bluff-19

-- Posted by DonaldTrump on Sat, Oct 17, 2009, at 11:13 AM
  • JayJayblue

Don't bet the farm if you think PB is going to score 40 pts on Sikeston. They might win, but putting up 40 pts won't happen.

-- Posted by lastride67 on Sun, Oct 18, 2009, at 9:28 AM
  • Sikeston is going to run over PB with there defense and offense.

-- Posted by sikestonbulldog09 on Mon, Oct 19, 2009, at 12:30 AM
  • Sikeston wouldn't give up 40 points to the RAMS!!!

-- Posted by tlks2much on Tue, Oct 20, 2009, at 5:23 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: