Semoball

High School Football Forum: Sikeston vs Farmington - let the analysis begin

Posted by pigdog on Sun, Oct 25, 2009, at 10:52 PM:

Very interested in thoughts on this game. Is Sikeston's defense dominant enough to shut down Farmington's passing attack? Will the fact that Sikeston has the district crown wrapped up result in a letdown? Was Farmington's loss to West Plains a fluke, or is West Plains better than their 44-6 loss to Sikeston? Now that Sikeston is finally healthy again on offense (mostly) will their multiple weapons on offense be more than Farmington can contain, or will Farmington come in fired up and loose - playing with nothing to lose. Sikeston is playing for an undefeated season and Farmington is playing to regain some respect. How will it play out?

Replies (18)

• Sikeston is also playing to wrap up the Semo Conf. Championship. Still quite a bit to play for. Undefeated Season and the Conf. I think it will be a good game, but it's going to be tough to beat Sikeston on their home field in front of possibly the biggest home crowd this year!

-- Posted by mandm96 on Sun, Oct 25, 2009, at 10:58 PM
  • It will be a great game but I think with sikestons great offense and defense and at home they will come out on top!

-- Posted by sikestonbulldog09 on Mon, Oct 26, 2009, at 12:55 AM
  • It will be tough to get a huge crowd on a Thursday night. If the weather is good, I still think it will be a good one but probably not the biggest of the year. The Jackson game had the biggest crowd so far.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Oct 26, 2009, at 2:40 PM
  • Just a thought. The game has no meaning to Sikeston. It is important not to get too caught up in the notion of an undefeated season. If I am Sikeston I try to avoid injuries in this game and get ready for the next game. Nobody remembers how many losses you have if you make it to state.

-- Posted by drawmules on Mon, Oct 26, 2009, at 3:03 PM
  • The main concern I have with the crowd is the fact that SPS-12 broadcasts the game LIVE!!! Unless the weather conditions are perfect, the fair weather fan will elect to sit at home in their comfy chairs and watch the game from home. This drives me nuts. This is one of the major reasons why Sikeston has trouble getting a good crowd for home games. Even when they are fielding the best team they have had in 35 years. I haven't yet, but I am going to be contacting the school administration and plead with them to please show the remainder of this season's games on tape delay. I can just see it now...Sikeston is in the quarterfinals - the most important football game in Sikeston history. It's 33 degrees outside and there are 12 people in the stands. But everyone at home is glued to their TV!!!

-- Posted by pigdog on Mon, Oct 26, 2009, at 3:18 PM
  • Thursdays home game will be the last one SPS-12 shows live. I don't think they can show state playoff games live, just on tape delay. Now KFVS12 webcast has shown basketball games live before.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Mon, Oct 26, 2009, at 5:02 PM
  • Thanks, Fatboy. That makes the pigdog happy!

-- Posted by pigdog on Mon, Oct 26, 2009, at 5:18 PM
  • drawmules, I think you underestimate the guys on this Sikeston team. All of the seniors have a lot of pride and treat every game like it's the big one. As a conference rival, Famington is always a big game even if there is "nothing to gain".

-- Posted by s-town4292 on Mon, Oct 26, 2009, at 10:59 PM
  • I fully agree, the game should not be shown live. To many couch potatoes that would rather sit home and eat and drink.

-- Posted by lastride67 on Tue, Oct 27, 2009, at 5:39 AM
  • The new Massey Computer Rating has moved Sikeston up to #8 in the state in Class 4. The same system rates their defense as #6.

-- Posted by pigdog on Tue, Oct 27, 2009, at 9:03 AM
  • i dont think farmington will get close to beating sikeston, they say they lost because of the field conditions and if thats so there will be more running then passing and sikeston is fourth in the state in total rushing and even if they do pass they are ranked 3rd in class 4a in interceptions, this is one of the best defenses with 5 gooseggs this year, idk how anyone could not choose them to win..

-- Posted by s-townfan12 on Tue, Oct 27, 2009, at 5:52 PM
  • I think we need to go back to last week when people talked about how PB would want to get back at Sikeston for how they beat them last year. We need to remember how Farmington beat the Bulldogs last year. No one gave Sikeston a shot to win at all and they played the Knights as hard as they could and barely came up short. I know I would be pumped to go out and get my revenge on Farmington.

-- Posted by gohard2011 on Tue, Oct 27, 2009, at 10:03 PM
  • s-town4292

The game has no meaning. The smart thing to do would be to rest the starters and get ready for the game that counts. The St. Louis Rams did the same thing when they had their playoff spot clinched a few years ago.

-- Posted by drawmules on Tue, Oct 27, 2009, at 10:08 PM
  • drawmules, so are you saying there is no pride in winning the conference, getting an undefeated regular season, especially for a program that was floundering for years. Pride my friend, these boys have it. Not cockiness but pride. Sure, they may not play their starters the entire game, but they aren't going to play second string guys for the majority of the game unless it's a rout. It would be silly to lay down and let the JV go in for the last game, not in high school when the seniors only have a little time left. This isn't the St. Louis Rams.

-- Posted by s-town4292 on Tue, Oct 27, 2009, at 10:27 PM
  • You don't rest starters in high school and sacrifice a game. You just don't do it. You win all you can. This is not the pros. Besides, that's always controversial even in the pros when they rest starters for the playoffs. You always hear talk about losing your momentum and staying sharp.

To me, if you rest starters against Farmington and then lose that game, then you might as well be prepared to lose your first playoff game.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Oct 28, 2009, at 8:27 AM
  • Amen, semohoops. There is no way you can compare these KIDS to professional football players. Every opportunity the starters get to play is an opportunity to get better; improve fundamentals; hone the offense; shore up the defense, etc. First, Sikeston needs to WIN. Second, they need to work on improving as a team.

-- Posted by pigdog on Wed, Oct 28, 2009, at 9:35 AM
  • The weather forecast has to help the bulldogs, right? I mean Farmington plays on that nice, cushy artificial field and they utilize the pass a lot more than Sikeston. I think they may have a lot of difficulty trying to throw the ball in a rainstorm with 15 mph winds. I also like the idea of a couple of 250 lb+ offensive lineman followed up with a 200+ pound back pushing Farmington around on a muddy field. I DON'T like the idea of us trying to handle shotgun snaps and all of the fakes and ball handling sometimes used in our offense if things are nasty.

-- Posted by pigdog on Wed, Oct 28, 2009, at 1:08 PM
  • I guess you could look at it a number of ways. Typically, inclement weather is the great equalizer, meaning a less talented team can close the gap on the better team.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Oct 28, 2009, at 1:14 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: