Semoball

High School Football Forum: Question for you Semoball Fans

Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 3:17 PM:

I would say it is up to the official. If it looked like a "flagrant" foul, the officials could eject him from the game. That normally means that the player is out of the rest of that game plus the next one. I believe that is MSHSAA's guidelines. Anything beyond that would be outside MSHSAA's scope. I guess the player and/or his family could sue the other player. I doubt it would go very far, but that option is probably available. I have heard about cases like that "in the city," but I doubt a "small town" judge would let it go very far. Just my opinion.....

Replies (47)

• I can't believe I'm saying this, but I tend to agree with you BG. The real problem here though is one of intent. You just can't know what is going through a player's mind and whether or not he intended to hurt another player. Football is a collision sport after all and injuries are part of the game. Like Rocket689 said, if it's a flagrant foul, the officials have the power to eject that player and MSHAA will suspend him for the next game.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 3:34 PM

I feel like the rule now is where it should be that if a player gets ejected, they miss the next game. Doing the eye-for-an-eye rule would create a lot of gray area I think with questions of intent amongst other things. I'm about to lay out a scenario that may seem farfetched but it brings up the what-ifs of amending this rule the way you talk about BG.

Let's say that a star player on Team A lays a vicious hit on a backup receiver on Team B, somebody who does not have much output in the game and the receiver is injured. If Team A & B are in a district race and Team A has a game that could decide for both their teams in a week or two, couldn't the coach of Team B have his player sit and "rest" his injury until after Team A's big game in order to hurt Team A's chances of winning even if that player on Team B could conceivably play without fear of re-injury. It seems complicated I know but I could see scenarios like that arising amongst other things. The only sport where I think rules like what you describe should be in place is hockey.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 3:48 PM
  • Bleed...I thought that if a player got 2 personal fouls in a game, they were ejected. I'm not 100% sure of that, however. Anyone else know about that rule?

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 4:22 PM
  • Maplewood. This team had 29 penalties against SG. Several of them were personal fouls. Some teams don't get 29 penalties in an entire season.

Allowing teams to continue playing careless, undisciplined football is going to get someone seriously injured or killed.

Normally I laugh and say something sarcastic when anyone from SG gets online and talks about silly little injuries....unfortunately, BG does have a legitimate point this time.

-- Posted by zachattack on Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 4:35 PM
  • I can't wait for friday so he has something else to talk about. I am sick and tired of the maplewood/Penalties/Dirty Play crap

-- Posted by NeverWasBeen on Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 4:53 PM

If it were me and Beef talking about it, we would have had our thread and comments removed! I have to watch what I say from here on out or I will be suspended lol. So BG, NO COMMENT on this from me! Take it to Mosports and I will give you my opinion lol. I still love Semoball though, don't get me wrong!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 5:01 PM
  • Just wait til next week. Then it's all, Oh PJ is dirty. Another Central Personal foul blah blah blah. I hate Corey cuz he beat me up.

-- Posted by Shortbus on Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 5:22 PM

I understand your intent on this thread and never said you were wrong. I'm sure I would be upset if what you say happened, happened. Hopefully both our teams have a better week this week.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 5:30 PM
  • Bleed was wondering if this player is going to play this friday and I think if a player gets 2 unsportsmentlike penalties he is suppose to be ejected for the rest of the game and suspended the next game.I think this happened to a Potosi player a couple of years ago against SG

-- Posted by hb1025 on Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 7:10 PM
  • Bleed if someone took a shot at an SG player after the whistle he should have been ejected for sure. That gives him the one game suspension. That the refs fault.

Maplewood being dirty and undisciplined is on their coach.

If they keep that crap up they can be voted out of the conference!

Being in a conference is a priviledge not a right!

As you probably know they were almost without a home a couple years ago, because no one wants to deal with that crap!

-- Posted by nature boy on Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 7:43 PM
  • Why is maplewood in the conference. I would guess they play in nothing but football. And I agree it's on the coach. I have not dealt with him bit heard he is a interesting character. And that's semoball etiquette.

-- Posted by caniplay on Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 7:57 PM
  • You will rarely see me chime in on something without joking around and acting silly. All joking aside, there needs to be consequences for dirty play.

Maplewood plays Central, Fredericktown, Perryville and Potosi. I imagine that you folks who are "tired" of hearing about Maplewood should probably brace for shock.

-- Posted by zachattack on Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 8:33 PM
  • Here is a part of an article for the SG herald.

"The host committed 29 penalties for a whopping 226 yards -- nearly one-third were personal fouls from late hits or unnecessary roughness -- that had the green-and-white faithful in an uproar all night."

-- Posted by zachattack on Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 8:48 PM
  • Well, BG, it sounds like you had some legit complaints about the Maplewood game. Hopefully, the refs at PHC will actually do their job and eject some of their players if they try it again Friday night.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 9:15 PM
  • In instances like that , I agree wholeheartedly.....shots in the back, head, flagrant clipping, deliberate anything......send them OUT. Make a statement that that crap will NOT be tolerated. Put them out for the season. Period

I will digress and say the following.......the relentless "overlooking" of idiotic behavior, bad grades, (cooked grades), bad character..bad sportsmanship and attitudes, by "stellar" athletes, is the main reason why you read about College athletes being arrested, for the EXACT same behavior when they get to that level. These kids are put on a pedestal, and are rarely, if ever, ask to toe the same line the way every other student is asked to. Change that at the High School level, and college coaches may actually get to teach these kids football when they get there, instead of having to bail them out of jail, suspend them a game, then let them start all over again. More importantly , they may actually get a degree. I completely resent the fact that Athletes, HS and College, are given a pass because of their athletic ability. It's a disgrace. They are not being done any favors....if they are allowed to think life is always gonna be that way. I understand all do not fall under this umbrella.....but I think most understand exactly what I am talking about.

-- Posted by Headhunt on Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 9:21 PM
  • hey if you're a big time recruit you can have your next game suspension reversed. ask potosi! but that's also what happens when you're up around the Lou. bunch of paper pushers reffing and not giving a crap except getting another check for reffing.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 11:50 PM

BG---you better watch putting those numbers on here, Rachel will get in your tail lol...Even if they were obvious fouls you do not know what was going through those kids heads while they were on the field. I do not care if they drew 4 flags for it. Its still not clear that they intended to draw a flag.

HAHA

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Thu, Sep 13, 2012, at 1:17 AM
  • Does anyone know about the 2 personal fouls "thing"? I may be thinking about the 2 T's in basketball....that will get you tossed.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Sep 13, 2012, at 8:06 AM
  • Thanks, BG. I was just curious. As strict as MSHSAA is on other things, they would have a rule similar to that.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Sep 13, 2012, at 8:36 AM
  • rblocket689, just whot is mhasschaa Bucko? you beens kiking back on some coough sirup??

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Thu, Sep 13, 2012, at 9:20 AM
  • It's always a possibility their players were...

"all jacked up on Mt Dew"

just sayin......

sincerely,

Ricky Bobby

-- Posted by Headhunt on Thu, Sep 13, 2012, at 9:35 AM
  • Now for a little levity. Here's a quote from Bleed Green, "I believe they were intimidated by were they we're at and there surroundings".

He must have missed the day when "where", "were", "we're", "there", "their", and "they're" were discussed.

His use of the English language is flagitious. I can always tell a person level of intelligence from THEIR use of the English language.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Thu, Sep 13, 2012, at 9:39 AM

You're going to criticize the use of the English language and have errors in your own post? Stay classy.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Thu, Sep 13, 2012, at 9:55 AM
  • booger man, just whot is it to you pal? you need to splain whot you's is talkin bout Bucko. yaya, i just am just am just as classy as freddy blassy!

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Thu, Sep 13, 2012, at 10:10 AM
  • beerk1at4ale...mhasschaa is Missouri State High School Activities Association. Kinda like the NCAA.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Sep 13, 2012, at 10:24 AM
  • Very good point here, BG. It's two unsportsmanlike penalties that get you kicked out. You can have unlimited personal fouls, as long as the refs don't deem them harsh enough to warrant an ejection. Refs were put in a very difficult situation at Mwood, as the most of the players seemed to push the limits just enough to not get kicked out. However, the one particular hit to which BG is referring, should have warranted an ejection.

-- Posted by kools&oe on Thu, Sep 13, 2012, at 10:24 AM
  • Interesting Bleed. Sounds like a New Orleans Saints type situation to me. If MSHSAA is watching them like a hawk, maybe the coach has enough sense to tone it down at PHC. MSHSAA may need to have a secret observer at a few more of their games too.

-- Posted by mojo3 on Thu, Sep 13, 2012, at 10:31 AM

If there is a decent film of the game, why couldn't it be submitted to MSHSAA in order for them to review the actions of the players and coaches?

-- Posted by yah-yah on Thu, Sep 13, 2012, at 10:38 AM
  • Maybe you should of done a better job teaching while he was at SG bogey. Im always amused at comments like yours.

-- Posted by caniplay on Thu, Sep 13, 2012, at 11:37 AM
  • BG, In all seriousness I'm agreeing 100%. I've seen the classy coaches yank kids out of the game for bone-head penalties. It's even worse if as in this case it seems encouraged. Seems to me if Coach Stolzer is going to the trouble of calling MSHSAA with game film, it's a pretty legit beef. I don't think he'd put his reputation on the line if it wasn't.

Talking to a Valle fan earlier today, he gave a report of the St Vincent game. Apparently, a STV player took a swing at the jaw of a Valle kid,got flagged, ejected from the game and will not be playing this week. And he commented on your game too, seems quite a few Ste Gen citizens are worked up over this.

-- Posted by mojo3 on Thu, Sep 13, 2012, at 1:41 PM
  • That play consisted of a little after the whistle actions by both kids, I can guarentee you that he is doing a lot of extra running this week. Nobody at SV will condone those actions. Plus I'm sure he got a nice talking back home

-- Posted by NeverWasBeen on Thu, Sep 13, 2012, at 2:18 PM

In basketball MSHSAA will not review video, I sent one in regarding an incident on the basketball court and here is my reply:

The MSHSAA staff according to:

46. BOARD POLICY ON VIDEOTAPING

3. Videotape/film shall not be used for the purpose of protesting a contest.

I would suggest that you send the video and email to both schools for their review to discipline the players that were involved in the incident.

Keivn Garner

-- Posted by catfish_162001 on Thu, Sep 13, 2012, at 2:40 PM
  • I don't think in this case it's anything like Ste Gen is protesting the game itself. The score is the score. However, it is worthwhile as a coaching tool to the refs and as a warning to a school and a coach to control his players. Honestly, what CAN you do as a coach if you see dirty play, your kids are getting hurt and the refs are NOT doing anything about as BG alleges?

-- Posted by mojo3 on Thu, Sep 13, 2012, at 2:58 PM
  • caniplay, reason why Maplewood is even in our conference is Herky dropped out.

-- Posted by mojo3 on Thu, Sep 13, 2012, at 3:00 PM

I was not trying to protest the game, the video was sent in to call attention to an incident. The above was the only respnse I got back from MSHAA. I am not sure they will do anything about this situation.

-- Posted by catfish_162001 on Thu, Sep 13, 2012, at 3:12 PM
  • yea mojo has seen me get yanked out of a game before for taunting... :(

big mistake and i never said another word on the field again.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Thu, Sep 13, 2012, at 4:31 PM
  • BG....I haven't heard any juicy information.

-- Posted by zachattack on Thu, Sep 13, 2012, at 5:03 PM
  • I have to tell you that the zebras get sick at their stomach when they are assigned games with certain teams mentioned in this thread just for the reasons mentioned. Officials are chosen for playoffs for a few basic reason and one is their average scores given by coaches, experience and recommendations from their association. You are given a grade score 1-5 with 1 being the top every game by both coaches. If you average at 1.80 or below at the end of the season you are considered upper tier. Anything over that up to 2.10 or so and you are considered average. They also comment on such things as physical appearance, hustle, non-bias and a few others. Most of you know it is an open book test. Most of the questions are not your basic everyday football questions but are ones designed to trip you up and make you think and dig in the book. Not that tough but good officials pretty well live in it from July-December.

Saying all of that to say this. Most officials I know despise dirty play, over the top trash talk and the other bullshit that goes on with undisciplined teams. These teams are normally a reflection of their coach. You spend a lot of the time during games just putting out fires instead of concentrating on the job at hand. I venture to say that 90% of the teams in this area are a pleasure to call for. Great kids and coaches but this small percentage just makes the game experience miserable sometimes. Officials make mistakes and are subject to criticism and rightly so. We know when we "suck" and when we call a good game. I know that we would like to be invisible to coaches and fans. Which leads to my last point. Since the scores given by coaches are heavily weighed by the MSHAA you sometimes find yourself not taking action to kick a kid out with the hopes that he will straighten up and just play football. You don't want to **** the coach off but I have found that inaction in the worst thing that you can do for the offended team. I am fortunate to have officiated many big games over the years and just love it. Cannot wait until tomorrow night and head out with the crew again.

-- Posted by sonny6killer on Thu, Sep 13, 2012, at 5:07 PM
  • i agree, officiating is tough... i caught so much crap for reffing an upward bound basketball game a few years ago. it was 3rd grade girls... i got my butt chewed for not calling a double dribble towards the end of the game and if you have seen girls basketball, especially 3rd grade girls basketball, then you know they double dribble more than they correctly dribble. if i called everything the game would have lasted 3 hours. you gotta call what you think is right and stick with it. and one of the worst reffs freddy ever had was in '08 at east prairie and i saw that moron in the dome reffing the class 4 championship. it beats me as to how someone that bad could reff in a big game like that.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Thu, Sep 13, 2012, at 5:25 PM
  • Maybe Sheriff Bullock needs to be at the game tonight with a roster and notepad, taking down some numbers and names and making assault and battery arrests off the team bus at the end.

All kidding aside, I do hope this gets nipped. The coach there is only hurting his kids if he's at minimum turning a blind eye towards undisciplined play and being borderline criminal if he's sanctioning it. If those kids are as talented as I think they are college recruiters are looking at them, but would a college put up with the BS? I don't think so.

BG, several of the players between Central and FredMo are friends off the field and a few probably related to each other. I may have a few younger relatives playing for Central, but does that mean I'll claim them? ;)

-- Posted by mojo3 on Fri, Sep 14, 2012, at 8:12 AM
  • Maplewood is joining the new Suburban Conference 1, Division 1 in 2014-2015. I'm guessing the Blue Devils will leave the MAFC White.

Follow the link below:

http://www.mrhsd.org/high-school/news/2012/05/14/293/

-- Posted by gianthook on Fri, Sep 14, 2012, at 9:07 AM
  • Read that article, doesn't say for football, but I'd assume so.

-- Posted by mojo3 on Fri, Sep 14, 2012, at 11:34 AM
  • Stolzer is supposedly making a push to drop MRH from the conference. Pretty reliable source but rumors are rumors.

-- Posted by Shortbus on Fri, Sep 14, 2012, at 4:35 PM
  • stolzer could get the state championship played in SG if he wanted to, he's that good.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Sat, Sep 15, 2012, at 2:08 PM
  • I believe that bro. Check this out. Happened in Arizona. quite similar to the SG>MRH game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/arizona-officials-rule-team-...

-- Posted by Shortbus on Sat, Sep 15, 2012, at 5:55 PM
  • went to the game last night preacher man, whats up with dexter, they are slow, hand offs from starting qb,slow, when young qb came in running backs alot quicker, lookes like dexter has alot of people in the wrong spots, good athletes wrong spots, good gosh cant wait to see younger qb in a couple of years, that number 2 fast as crap, wow form cruthersville

-- Posted by Bowie67 on Sat, Sep 15, 2012, at 8:06 PM

Dexter is young but they are determined. Caruthersville knew that the QB was young so they brought blitz's all night long. Trust me Dexter will not be down for long they have just hit a bump in the road. They will definitely get better from their brutal schedule.

This coach will have his troubles now with a young team but you let those guys get a bit older and stronger and they will be a competitive team again here in SEMO. Some fans just don't understand after having so many successful season why are we not as good as we usually are.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sat, Sep 15, 2012, at 9:04 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: