Semoball

High School Football Forum: Official Sideline Starter Football Five--10/21/12

Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Oct 21, 2012, at 7:11 PM:

Welcome back to the often imitated but never duplicated Football Five, Semoball's one realm where logical discussion still exists. It was a rocky week for SEMO's upper class as four of the top five went down. As we enter playoff time, all of the top district contenders seem to have gimme games to start but each one needs to keep their eyes on the prize as anything can happen. Let's get to the rankings.

1) Sikeston-The Bulldogs (8-1) fell to a good Cardinal Ritter team by not holding on to the football, plain and simple. This is a game that Coach Gibbs and Sikeston clearly would like to have back but things aren't bleak as the Bulldogs still have the #1 seed in their district and a date with Perryville on Thursday. Let's see how they respond. (Last week: 1)

T-2) Caruthersville-The Tigers (6-2) fell an extra point short of upending Ste. Genevieve and looked resilient in the face of adversity that injury has tolled on their team this season. Caruthersville has a game with East Prairie Thursday that could probably be considered good practice for their offense in getting things figured out for the playoffs beyond. (Last week: 2)

T-2) Jackson-The Indians (6-2) went from being the most praised team in SEMO to being the most underrated one in the span of a few short weeks. They've switched out quarterbacks as Dante Vandeven has taken over in a gutsy move by Coach Eckley. Jackson was able to win over the one seed in their district during the final week of the season but face the toughest road to a district title with Rockwood Summit waiting. Unlike others, I think this Jackson team is really good and will only get better each season under their coach. (Last week: 3)

4) Poplar Bluff-The Mules (5-4) fell this week to Chaminade in overtime, similar to the next team on this list. They are probably the football five team with the best chance of falling this week as they take on Class 5 Vianney but have rebounded well from a three game losing streak earlier this season. (Last week: 4)

5) Cape Central-I finally give Portageville the credit everyone was saying they deserved and they respond by getting trounced by New Madrid. The Tigers (3-6) earned their way back in by finally breaking their losing streak in a win over Festus and get to play them again on Thursday at home. Cape Central is a definite sleeper in their district as their record does not indicate how good they are. They could play spoiler to a lot of teams. (Last week: Unranked)

Small School Top Five

1) Caruthersville (6-2)-The Tigers earned their way into the top spot by having a great regular season that could have been even better barring injury. (Last week: 1)

2) Malden (7-2)-Green Wave move into second spot due to building great record over course of season. (Last week: 3)

3) Charleston (7-2)-Blue Jays have their best regular season in years and dominate closing weeks. (Last week: 4)

4) Portageville (7-1)-Despite win over Malden early in the year, the Bulldogs drop after getting thumped to close out the year. (Last week: 2)

5) Hayti (3-5)-The Indians keep this spot though I've accidentally neglected the accomplishments of St. Vincent this year. Five spot will be determined by upcoming district game. (Last week: 5)

All season long, I've been doing my predictions of who is going to make the district finals. This week, I'm going to change things up and make my predictions both of the district finals and who I think is going to win.

Class 5: Rockwood Summit over Jackson

Class 4: Sikeston over Hillsboro

Class 3: Ste. Genevieve over Park Hills Central (Literally flipped a coin)

Class 2: Caruthersville over Malden

Class 1: Valle over Portageville

In closing, this will be the final Football Five until at least the district playoffs are over. Let us spend this time enjoying the great games we are going to get to see over the next few weeks. I've enjoyed doing the column all year as always and appreciate all of the positive feedback I've received. Thank you also to those who gave me nice comments on the District Playoff Seedings & Bracketology thread. Finally, I want to ask that EVERYONE on this website stop saying teams or players "stink", "blow", and end the general bashing that has become more and more prevalent over the past few weeks. I really don't want to see another one of Crader's articles where she basically has to put everyone in the forums in their place. It also adds nothing to the conversation and brings down the general IQ of the discussions being made. Let the teams hash it out themselves over the next few weeks just how good (which apparently ranges anywhere from only state champions to every team which fields enough guys depending on who you ask) they are. Most of the people on here are adults. To the adults and even those who aren't, have the maturity to act like one. This place is a lot more fun when it is civil and the ribbing is friendly. Anyway, that's my take. Good luck to each and every team over the next few weeks and may the best ones win. Thanks for reading and I'll be here to cover every step of the playoffs.

Replies (14)

• Great job sideline...Can't wait for Bleed to put his 2 cents in. I do think if Cape can eliminate the big plays and FOCUS for 4 quarters that they can make some noise in districts. If not, I sure hope Sikeston and Gibbs can take it..

-- Posted by crackerjack on Sun, Oct 21, 2012, at 7:34 PM

Thanks Bullet. Unlike others, you know I'm not ruling Cape out in the least. Getting that win last Friday was crucial for them.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Oct 21, 2012, at 7:49 PM

Sideline you never disappoint great work.

-- Posted by MaldenGreenwaveSports on Sun, Oct 21, 2012, at 8:49 PM

I appreciate it MGWS.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Oct 21, 2012, at 8:51 PM
  • Sideline I love your input, but I sorely disagree Cardinal Ritter isnt any good at all.

-- Posted by stlscott on Sun, Oct 21, 2012, at 9:54 PM
  • Sideline I love your input, but I sorely disagree Cardinal Ritter isnt any good at all.

Good closing, sideline. The BS is exactly why I quit posting on here.

-- Posted by birdfan on Sun, Oct 21, 2012, at 9:56 PM

"Let the teams hash it out themselves over the next few weeks just how good (which apparently ranges anywhere from only state champions to every team which fields enough guys depending on who you ask) they are."-me

I think you are on the first side of this argument Scott.

I appreciate the compliment birdfan.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Oct 21, 2012, at 9:58 PM
  • Another well-written article Sideline. Always look forward to reading it. And I couldn't agree more with your last paragraph!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Oct 22, 2012, at 3:46 PM

I appreciate it Preach.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Oct 23, 2012, at 5:55 PM
  • I agree that if cape puts together 4 quarters sikeston may be in trouble. Cape is a good team, good athletes.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Oct 23, 2012, at 7:38 PM

Let it be known this is the first time I have read your remarks sideline. And can someone please help stlscott out so he can avoid posting duplicate messages?

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Tue, Oct 23, 2012, at 7:42 PM

All good Jolly. Just trying maintain a little civility. Hah.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Oct 23, 2012, at 7:44 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: