Semoball

High School Football Forum: Lattimore injury

Posted by wheresthebeef on Sat, Oct 27, 2012, at 7:58 PM:

I know I ranted earlier in the year about guys that tackle low with their helmets and this is why I think it should be a 15 yard penalty and automatic player ejection. I know there are major risks involved in any contact sport but eliminating this risk is pretty easy to do if the above punishment is handed out. If you remember that game we played Darrell went out with a busted shin our backup RB went out with a broken fibula and another guy had a ACL injury that kept him out all season as well. All of those injuries were caused by low tackling with the helmet.

I know sometimes players can't control where there body is going in reference to a ball carrier but this right here is one of the nastiest injuries I have ever seen that was not a broken bone. I really hate it for Lattimore because he is one of the most humble players you will find in college football. This is probably a dislocated knee acl and mcl tears and major cartilage damage.

Here is the video I will tell you now it is gruesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e1ZKtD25Ho

Replies (22)

Then why don't we just go to flag football. Tackling low isn't intentional, it's hard-nose football. Guys are trying to make a play.

-- Posted by sherlockholmes on Sat, Oct 27, 2012, at 8:24 PM
  • This injury reminds me of that "career ending" injury to Willis McGahee in the '03 Fiesta Bowl. Fortunately, Mcgahee had a great rehab, and was able to have a pretty productive NFL career.

-- Posted by Jason Porter on Sat, Oct 27, 2012, at 8:45 PM
  • -- Posted by Jason Porter on Sat, Oct 27, 2012, at 8:50 PM

I said nothing about low tackling in general. I said hitting legs with helmets. BG how many of your guys were seriously injured? I do not recall any of your guys getting hurt in the game. I know that alot of these players will make you look stupid if you try to tackle them high. Going low is good if you use correct technique and like I said sometimes it happens but if it is consistent there should be a flag for it.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sat, Oct 27, 2012, at 9:01 PM

We are running out of places to hit people.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Oct 27, 2012, at 9:01 PM
  • Would I want to tackle Darrell Monroe up high? Heck no! I've never heard a coach yell at a player to "tackle him high!" A player is going to do whatever it takes to make a tackle, if even it means tripping a ball carrier (which is perfectly legal, but only the ball carrier may be tripped).

-- Posted by Pete Czeria on Sat, Oct 27, 2012, at 9:11 PM

Freak accidents happen... and as a little guy I dont need the one advantage I have on defense taken away. I also believe that the only reason for the up high hits is because of how terrified people are of concussions, and it takes away from the game I dont even like defence and I HATE the defenseless reciever rule and the over protection of qb's in this day in age we had the game right and were screwing it up thinking too much about player saftey... we all know what we're signing up for when we start playing football so you cant get mad when thing like this happen, now I feel bad for the guy he's a great rb and Id hate to see his career end like this but it's the nature of the game we play

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Sun, Oct 28, 2012, at 2:00 AM

Marcus Lattimore suffered a Broken Femur, Broken Patella, Torn ACL, Torn MCL, Torn PCL, and Torn LCL... all All I can say is ouch

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Sun, Oct 28, 2012, at 2:11 AM

How do you go about that? Set the bones, let them heal and then do all the ligament repair and rehab after that?? This could very well be one of those where its gonna be a great while to WALK again much less play.

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Sun, Oct 28, 2012, at 12:10 PM
  • Lattimore is also an OUTSTANDING young man. Hate to see this happen to him but his football career is probably over.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Sun, Oct 28, 2012, at 2:16 PM
  • Two words: Willis McGahee

-- Posted by gianthook on Sun, Oct 28, 2012, at 2:21 PM
  • Sonic--Where did you get that information? Just heard that it is a dislocated knee...He is out for the year but could very well play next year or redshirt if rehab takes longer...That is great news for a great young man

-- Posted by crackerjack on Sun, Oct 28, 2012, at 2:22 PM

Steve Spurrier said he had a dislocated knee. It's not near as bad as they first thought. They said with a good rehab, he should be able to play again. They may redshirt him next year so he can return for the 2014 season.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Oct 28, 2012, at 2:24 PM
  • -- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Sun, Oct 28, 2012, at 2:58 PM

I dont know if thats what it really is but I doubt that was a dislocated knee too.. because Ive seen someone dislocate their knee and they did not have anywhere near the same reaction

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Sun, Oct 28, 2012, at 3:00 PM

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8564561/marcus-lattimore-dislocat...

I got my information from Espn. I'm sure they wouldn't put info out that wasn't true. There are two different reports out I guess. We will find out soon enough how bad it really is. Hopefully it's not going to cause him not to be able to play football again.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Oct 28, 2012, at 3:13 PM
  • Thanks Sonic---Guess we'll find out soon.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Sun, Oct 28, 2012, at 3:16 PM
  • It's football! Man up!! Where in the hell else are you suppose to tackle someone? You can't hit above the head.. if your a good runningback you gotta stop the legs to stop the runner! What happened to Lattimore is tragic, especially two years in a row! But he would be the first person to tell you that's football! It's a man's sport, that's why not everyone can play it! #man up!

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Sun, Oct 28, 2012, at 6:21 PM
  • #Iagree100%!!!

Next thing, people will want running backs to dress in a tutu. You breathe funny on a QB nowadays and it's a flag. Will the running backs be next?!?

-- Posted by Pete Czeria on Sun, Oct 28, 2012, at 7:30 PM

I know there are going to be freak accidents in any sport at all levels but look at it this way, the RB is running the football said tackler lunges with the crown of his helmet to hit knees or shins I see that as being a real problem. Not only are you inviting a serious neck injury upon yourself you are risking breaking someones leg or even worse what happened to Lattimore.

I love the hard hits that go on during football even like watching a defender get decleated by a good block. Heck in your guy's eyes a facemask should be fair game to tackle someone by, and whats wrong with a horsecollar tackle? If thats the only way you have of bringing a guy down so what if it risks injury this is a mans sport. I do not want to make it a sissified sport but its something that could be avoided. This move could be labeled as spearing especially if you are not using your arms or shoulder to do the tackling with.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sun, Oct 28, 2012, at 7:49 PM

Spearing is not anywhere near the same thing... there is no malicious intent when you tackle someone low and a lot of people have their head down when they tackle regardless of whether its low or not. I played qb, for anyone that doesnt know, and I hate defense but I dont think that all these rules on how you can tackle are helping the game... the more rules you make on how you can tackle, and protecting defensless players is giving refs too big of a say in the out come of games

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Sun, Oct 28, 2012, at 9:23 PM
  • If you want to take the head out of football, then get rid of the helmets.

-- Posted by Pete Czeria on Mon, Oct 29, 2012, at 7:32 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: