Semoball

High School Football Forum: Elite Eights vs Poll Rankings

Posted by mojo3 on Thu, Nov 8, 2012, at 1:50 PM:

I was wondering how "accurate" the football ranking polls were in predicting which teams would be remaining in the Elite Eights in each class. Of course, the way districts were aligned may have knocked a few teams out prematurely, but some of the results are interesting.

For the lists below, I used the Week 9 Sportswriter's poll posted by Brian Rosener on this site for the poll basis and the brackets from MSHSAA. The numbers in the parenthesis are the rankings and the (NR) means "not ranked" and (ARV) means "also received votes".

Here's the list:

Class 6 Elite Eight:

Lafayette (Wildwood) (3), Eureka (ARV), Francis Howell (5), Hickman (6), CBC (1), DeSmet (ARV), Blue Springs (2), Rockhurst (4).

Class 5 Elite Eight:

Rockwood Summit (6), Kirkwood (2), Parkway Central (7), Camdenton (NR), Staley (3), Ft. Osage (4), Ozark (8), Lee's Summit West (1).

Class 4 Elite Eight:

Hillsboro (NR), St. Mary's (STL) (NR), Sullivan (6), Webb City (1), Harrisonville (8), Platte Co. (NR), Clayton (NR), Helias (9).

Class 3 Elite Eight:

Park Hills Central (10), J. Burroughs (1), Eldon (NR), Monett (NR), Maryville (2), Center(KC) (NR), Duchesne (ARV), California (8).

Class 2 Elite Eight:

Caruthersville (6), Maplewood -- Richmond Heights (2), Mt. View-Liberty (8), Lamar (ARV), Lathrop (ARV), Holden (7), Clark Co. (3), Blair Oaks(5).

Class 1 Elite Eight:

Valle (5), Miller (3), Skyline (9), Tipton (2), Penney (NR), Wellington-Napoleon (4),

S. Shelby (NR), Salisbury (7)

Since there are not that many schools in Class 6, the top six made it and a couple schools receiving votes made it too.

In Class 5 all the top eight teams are in except Webster Groves who had to play Kirkwood.

Class 4 is interesting to me. Four schools were not ranked and had no votes from the Week 9 poll. And no top 5 team remains except Webb City. Seems to me to be a very competitive class.

Class 3 only has #1 JBS and #2 Maryville remaining of the top 5 from the Week 9 poll. Two are bottom tier at #8 California and #10 PHC with three not ranked and one school that got votes still in the hunt for the Dome.

Class 2 and Class 1 are interesting that the #1 ranked team in each class got knocked out before the Elite Eight round. However, Class 2 sort of looks like Class 6, everyone still in had gotten at least some votes in the Week 9 poll.

Class 1 does have two schools un-ranked from Week 9 still in, otherwise everyone has a state ranking from the poll.

I guess in a few instances the Sportswriters may know what they are doing predicting success with the poll...

Good luck to the area schools still in the hunt for a Dome bid! Hope to see you there!

Replies (2)

• Thanks for the good work on this Mojo3. Looks like the polls were pretty accurate after all, with the exception of Class 4. Hopefully all those "polls don't mean anything" posters will take note.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Nov 8, 2012, at 2:02 PM
  • Penney has been number one all year long. Penney HS is in Hamilton. James Cash Penney (founder of J.C. Penney) was a notable native.

-- Posted by gianthook on Thu, Nov 8, 2012, at 2:17 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: