Semoball

High School Football Forum: Is Cape Central playing in a Jamboree?

Posted by BillYung on Mon, Aug 19, 2013, at 8:12 PM:

Are they going anywhere?

Replies (37)

• I heard they were playing in Festus this year.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Tue, Aug 20, 2013, at 1:11 AM
  • I personally would rather add an extra week to the season than watch jamborees. A jamboree consistently ranks among my top 5 most boring sporting events to cover each year.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, Aug 20, 2013, at 1:37 AM
  • Jamborees are even more boring than all-star games. I like realy competition.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, Aug 20, 2013, at 1:38 AM
  • Dustin that didn't answer my question.

-- Posted by BillYung on Tue, Aug 20, 2013, at 9:36 AM
  • Not sure where it will be Bill. Cape Central is not in my coverage area.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Tue, Aug 20, 2013, at 1:09 PM
  • You have 1 Football playing school in your "coverage area". And if you can't find out/take the time to look for something as simple as where another team outside said coverage area is playing, then I sure as heck hope you don't take time to chime in your lackluster opinions on any team but Dexter. That would be appreciated but sadly, not expected.

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Tue, Aug 20, 2013, at 1:31 PM
  • In other words, mr shakespeare, u'd like him to "shut his YAPPER"!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Aug 20, 2013, at 1:50 PM

I agree with DW here actually. Jamborees are just god awful to watch or participate in. They are confusing to keep track of and there is no real competition. With rise of contact camps in the summer I think the teams would be better served playing a 10th game again this week or having another public open scrimmage.

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Aug 20, 2013, at 2:01 PM
  • Bill

I spent the day paginating a 56-page football preview. I estimate I work 60 to 70 hours every week. It's not my job to cover Cape Central.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Aug 21, 2013, at 1:20 AM
  • How long do you think it would take you to paginate a 56-page football magazine Bill Shakespeare?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Aug 21, 2013, at 1:22 AM
  • WHERE is Cape Central playing their jamboree??? That's all I'm asking.

-- Posted by BillYung on Wed, Aug 21, 2013, at 6:50 AM

Friday 6pm at Festus

They will play Gateway Tech, Lutheran North, Cleveland ROTC

-- Posted by NewTigerFan on Wed, Aug 21, 2013, at 7:47 AM
  • Maybe you should worry about your 56 page magazine instead of stirring the pot. If you don't cover Cape Central, why comment on a question about their jamboree? I'd rather you write a good story about Dexter and a what I expect to be a fantastic 56 page football magazine than make a very irrelevant comment.

Oh and I like jamborees, it gives kids a chance to get out of the monotony of hitting the same kids everyday and get some game like reps in before the season; you know, kind of like the NFL preseason. Not all schools go to contact camps. So it's great for those schools. All-Star games are great for kids who didn't get their name out to colleges. It also gives recruiters to see how a kid is against others around his talent level instead of average athletes. (say a kid like Fallert, Bourbon, Ealy)

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Wed, Aug 21, 2013, at 12:21 PM

I don't that Ealy got his scholarship by showing out at Jamboree. Just a personal opinion though and i know the kids like getting a chance to hit somebody other than teammates. I don't for me when it comes down to it would you like to play a competitive game of football or end up in some weird drill with another team where no one scores?

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Aug 21, 2013, at 12:44 PM
  • I would think the kids like the change of scenery. I remember how monotonous practices would get as the season drew nearer. I agree the jamborees arent exciting for the spectators but i would think the adrenalines higher for the kids. I think coaches would also be able to evaluate some things that come out of these jamborees vs regular practice. I just wish sikeston would attend a fieldgoal kicking jamboree. We havnt attempted a field goal since they stopped making square toed cleats, i aint kiddin!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Aug 21, 2013, at 12:53 PM

We attempted field goals when I played but from semi recent experience( I am 23 so its been about 4-5 years since I played) I didn't mind them but didn't really like them. I was just ready to start the season. If I could have a 10 game season under this playoff format as a fan and a played I would. Real Games That Matter>>>>>> Unimportant Jamborees

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Aug 21, 2013, at 1:12 PM
  • Oh no doubt, i hated practice games. But i hated practice even more than practice games haha!! I was lazy!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Aug 21, 2013, at 1:26 PM
  • I would rather add an extra week to the season than play a jamboree.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Aug 21, 2013, at 1:41 PM
  • Jamborees serve the same purpose for coaches in high school that pre-season games do for the NFL. I imagine there will be a lot of decisions made about starting spots as a result of these Jamborees. So I think they do serve a valid purpose and I know the Dexter kids are really excited about it!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Aug 21, 2013, at 10:14 PM

Believe me Preach starters are rarely decided upon a jamboree especially for key positions were substitutions are not common place like QB and OL. You may see a DT or a RB show some effort and get a few more snaps in the game or with the first squad in practice but unless someone majorly fudges up the coaches have the 22 inked

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Aug 22, 2013, at 12:37 AM
  • I agree with Bunk.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Aug 22, 2013, at 12:56 AM
  • But Preacher Man I owe you a dinner some Saturday when there are no sporting events to cover.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Aug 22, 2013, at 1:04 AM
  • I imagine most starting spots have been locked up by now Bunk, but there's always those spots that two kids have been battling over that will be decided by who performs better at the Jamboree. I expect there will be several such decisions made by coaches at the several Jamborees. Also coaches want to evaluate their players against live competition and tweak their schemes before the first game. Again, just like a pre-season game in the NFL.

Dustin, I appreciate the offer, but why do you owe me dinner?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Aug 22, 2013, at 10:29 AM

I have to agree with Preach on this one. It's true, most positions have been inked in by now but, I'm almost certain most coaches like to see how their team performs against some actual competition before the first game. I see nothing wrong with Jamboree's myself. They aren't as exciting as a game but they serve their purpose I suppose.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Aug 22, 2013, at 10:38 AM

I just don't know I understand the argument for Jamborees and it makes a lot sense on paper but what are the Coach's really learning about their players when they run the most Manila running plays and mostly base cover 1 or cover 2? It's not like anyone goes buck wild with their plays out there.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Aug 22, 2013, at 10:48 AM
  • From what i'm hearing in the coffee shops Dexter is going to be attempting field goals this year,BY A GIRL, hear she's splitting the uprights from 35-40 yards.If that is true it could turn some games around

-- Posted by CatDad on Thu, Aug 22, 2013, at 11:17 AM

Good for her but is she gonna allowed to hit on a bad snap?

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Aug 22, 2013, at 12:08 PM
  • No no no, I was talking about All-Star games when I referenced those players. It also gives "no name players" a chance to make a name for themselves. I agree there's no point in showing off your play book in a jamboree. That's a good way to get beat week one! But, if nothing else, jamborees get you out of the routine of hitting your buddies. Not having a jamboree and having 10 games wouldn't hurt my feelings. But Ste. Gen doesn't go to a contact camp so I believe it's a good thing for my Dragons.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Thu, Aug 22, 2013, at 12:15 PM

I know the girl you're talking about, catdad. She is not slouch when it comes to contact and playing physical. And, I have no doubt she can hit a 35 yard field goal.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Thu, Aug 22, 2013, at 12:23 PM
  • if there is a bad snap and she has time to pick it up i think she can outrun 90% of the other team and i dont think contact bothers her.I just hope nobody tries to take a cheap shot

-- Posted by CatDad on Thu, Aug 22, 2013, at 12:45 PM
  • I saw a story a few years ago about a girl kicker that was a stud. A few years ago Owensville (I think) had a girl playing tight end that was a great blocker and could run routes and catch better than half the other kids on the field. Pretty cool to see girls playing football and contributing!

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Thu, Aug 22, 2013, at 1:19 PM
  • The Dexter girl in question is playing tennis this fall and I for one would be shocked to see her out there on the gridiron.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Aug 22, 2013, at 4:59 PM
  • I stand corrected. Preacher Man Fan III confirmed this evening to me that the rumors about the young lady in question being our field goal kicker are correct. He did add that she will not kick off however.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Aug 22, 2013, at 11:05 PM
  • As for the reasons for Jamborees: "We get to face competition other than ourselves and get a chance to assess where we are," Sikeston head football coach Kent Gibbs said. "For us, we still have some positions that are up in the air."

From the same article on Semoball: "Bullock, like Gibbs, uses jamborees as a time to solidify any positions that he may have battles for. He also gives his kids the opportunity to show him something in live action that he may not have seen on the practice field."

"We've got ideas, but there's spots where we have guys competing," he said. "It's time to sure things up, but there's always opportunities for a kid to step up."

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Aug 23, 2013, at 11:10 AM
  • Bottom line: the only thing that counts at Jamborees are the injuries!

-- Posted by STE GEN on Fri, Aug 23, 2013, at 11:21 AM
  • I might have a heat stroke if I sit by the turf for too long. The medics at SG better be on watch in this heat and humidity!

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Fri, Aug 23, 2013, at 3:30 PM
  • Is there a pigskin pickem contest this year?

-- Posted by buyer beware on Fri, Aug 23, 2013, at 3:32 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: