Semoball

High School Football Forum: Preacher Man Fan's Football Top 10

Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Sep 25, 2013, at 10:42 PM:

We are now a month into the regular season and I believe we have enough information to make some definite rankings. I have consulted other polls and web-sites, taken into consideration strength of schedule, records, good wins, bad losses, injuries, head-to-head games, talent, school size, etc. in making this poll. In other words, I have really tried to do my homework.

I have also decided to include our friends up north, at least as far north as Ste. Genevieve and Farmington and including the other Semoball schools. Despite not being officially in the Semoball coverage area, I consider them to be in SEMO plus they get plenty of coverage here and often play Semoball schools.

If there is enough interest, I will do this thread from week-to-week. Feel free to disagree but do so with dignity minus insults and name-calling. Spirited, intelligent debate is welcomed; sarcastic, belittling posts are not.

Now to this week's Top 10:

1. Park Hills Central (4-0): The Rebels are really hitting on all cylinders, with arguably the best defense in the area. Only Sikeston can challenge them defensively right now. The Rebels have shut out Sullivan and Fredericktown and gave up a late punt return for at TD against Maplewood. PHC's ball-control offense also seems to be hitting its stride. The Rebels biggest challenge of the season looms this week at Ste. Genevieve against their arch-rival the Dragons. PHC is ranked #10 in Class 3 in this week's sportswriter's poll.

2. Sikeston (4-0): Like PHC, the Bulldogs have been getting it done on defense. Sikeston's offense is not quite as good as PHC, and their schedule hasn't been as strong either, but an overpowering defense has the Bulldogs checking in at #2 this week. They've also been getting it done despite many key injuries, especially to players like starting RB Chris Word. Like PHC, Sikeston faces their biggest challenge of the season as they travel to conference foe Poplar Bluff. Sikeston was ranked #5 in Class 4 in the week 3 state Power Poll.

3. Jackson (3-1): Despite a thrashing in week one by district rival Vianney, the Indians are off to another great start this season at 3-1. Injuries to key players, esp. in their running game, have hampered what is arguably the most potent offense in SEMO. QB Dante Vandevan may well be the best QB in the area and is a Carr Trophy contender. Jackson is getting back some of their injured players this week, just in time to host their arch-rival and conference foe Cape Central at the Pit this Friday night.

4. Valle Catholic (4-0): The perennial kings of Class 1 are back again this season, reclaiming their #1 ranking in this week's sportswriter's poll. The Warriors are off to yet another 4-0 start, including an impressive victory over cross-town rivals Ste. Genevieve. RB Tyler Fallert is a wrecking-ball and is looking to lead Valle to it's 12th state title his senior year.

5. Caruthersville (3-1): The Tigers came into the year with a lot of promise, returning much of the team that advanced all the way to the Class 2 semi-finals before falling to eventual state champion Lamar. They were ranked #3 preseason, but were surprisingly trounced at home in the season-opener to #2 ranked Mountain View-Liberty. They won their next two, although not without struggles with penalties, turnovers, and special teams. But in week 4, Caruthersville really put it all together in all three phases of the game against Dexter and look to be primed for another deep playoff run. Senior RB/LB Darrell Monroe looks to be a shoe-in for the Carr Trophy if he can stay healthy. The Tigers are currently ranked #6 in Class 2 in the sportswriter's poll.

6. Ste. Genevieve (3-1): The always dangerous Dragons are breathing fire once again this season, their only black-mark being a defeat to cross-town rival Valle Catholic. But they bounced back with a blow-out of Maplewood and a come-from-behind victory over resurgent Potosi. The Dragons have a great defense and two talented RB's in Roe and Dallas, but have struggled offensively at times. Ste. Gen will have revenge on their minds as they host arch-rival PHC in a rematch of the district championship last season which was won by the Rebels.

7. Cape Central (1-3): The talent is undeniably there, but the Tigers have played arguably the toughest schedule in SEMO thus far. Nonetheless, Cape Central has just one win so far, a convincing win over conference foe Poplar Bluff. In two of their three losses, they've been blown out, on the road at John Burroughs and at home versus Fort Zumwalt East. The Tiger defense has been sketchy thus far. Strength of schedule and a talented roster keeps the Tigers in the Top 10, but they definitely need to start winning to stay there. A huge test awaits Cape at the Pit this Friday night against arch-foe Jackson.

8. Poplar Bluff (2-2): The Mules got off to a 2-0 start and looked impressive running the ball behind a monster OL. RB Bi Nguyen set a school rushing record in week one against Union and has rushed for over 100 yards in each game. Nguyen is emerging as a dark-horse candidate for the Carr Trophy. Nonetheless, the Mules have lost two in a row to Cape Central and Jackson and need to make a statement this week at home against Sikeston.

9. Chaffee (4-0): The Red Devils are off to their best start since 1969 with four blow-out victories so far. They've also been getting it done on defense as well, holding Portageville last week to under 100 yards of total offense. Behind the leadership of the Montgomery brothers, Payton and Charlie, Chaffee looks to challenge Valle Catholic in Class 1, District 1. QB Payton Montgomery looks to be dark-horse contender for the Carr Trophy. Chaffee looks to up-end their arch-enemy Scott City this week at home.

10. Malden (3-1): Many observers (including your humble writer) expected the Green Wave to take a step back from last year's impressive 8-3 record with the graduation of Carr Trophy winner Romello McCoy. But that hasn't been the case as Malden shut out Class 3 NMCC in week one and their only loss was to Caruthersville in a game that was close until the 4th quarter. The Green Wave look to drown East Prairie this week and continue their winning ways.

On The Bubble: NMCC (2-2), Farmington (1-3), Fredericktown (2-2), Charleston (1-3).

So there are my thoughts this week Semoball fans. Some huge rivalry games this week that could shake things up next week. Your comments are welcome, but please keep it civil. Thanks for reading!

Replies (56)

• Nice job Preach! Appreciate the love for my Bulldogs but I think #2 may be a little high for them. I think Jackson could easily be #2. Great read though!

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 12:00 AM
  • Loving this post Preach! Knowledgeable posts on semoball is always a pleasant surprise.

-- Posted by blackNgold007 on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 12:05 AM
  • Nice post!

-- Posted by zachattack on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 7:28 AM
  • I'll say it again, you rank Chaffee above Malden based on record? Has Chaffee beaten a 3A school, no. Historically has Chaffee won over Malden in the last few years, no. They go 4-0 for the first time since '69 (and have an average to weak starting schedule at best) and get the ranking above Malden. Is Chaffee better this year than normal, sure, but by what logic does C-ville get ranked above them but not Malden? Malden has put a lot of points on the board, a lot, without the return of McCoy, so that argument is mute. All that I am saying is switch Chaffee and Malden and I think you have a pretty good estimate of SEMO ranking.

-- Posted by mobrigade on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 8:00 AM
  • Is this ranking based upon how these teams would do against each other, or how they are doing in there own schedule and class?

-- Posted by buyer beware on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 8:08 AM

I'd switch Chaffee and Malden but other than that, it's looks pretty good to me Preach.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 8:16 AM
  • Malden didn't score on Chaffee at the Jamboree for what it's worth.

-- Posted by ThayerPops on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 8:20 AM
  • Are we sure Valle isn't better than PHC?

-- Posted by ThayerPops on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 8:22 AM
  • Chaffee's four opponents have a combined five wins. Are they good ? Has anyone seen them play?

-- Posted by buyer beware on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 8:31 AM

Nice. I would have Jackson #1 & Valle #2, however.

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 8:40 AM
  • Chaffee has 200 kids.. who do you want them to play? Cape Central? they've played 2 class 2 schools that double their size. 2 of their games were conference games they have to play. The other 2 games were already on the schedule because there are such things as contracts. Back when they lost 36 or whatever it was straight games nobody was saying they need to play somebody. It's not Chaffee's fault they're locked into a contract. It's also not there fault that Hayti and Portageville are down this season.

-- Posted by ThayerPops on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 8:50 AM

Great list Preach! Awesome that you are doing this, I think it could definately be a weekly thing and people would like it.

Boy I would pay good money to see a Sikeston vs. Valle game!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 9:00 AM
  • Take it easy talkinghead, I just stated a fact and asked a question. I've heard a lot about Chaffee but it's hard to judge a team that realy hasn't been tested.

-- Posted by buyer beware on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 9:17 AM
  • I watched Chaffee as a non-biased observer at the Jamboree and I think that they are pretty evenly matched with Malden. I would be surprised if Chaffee doesn't get the honor of being beat by Valle in the district championship.

-- Posted by ALL MADISON COUNTY MVP on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 9:30 AM
  • The good thing about Chaffee is that they are not totally dependent on passing or running. They have done both equally well so far. They have multiple players to rely on also. However, I agree that their current schedule has been weak. But, they have won them all pretty easily and could have had 2-3 shutouts if not for subbing early. I agree that we should learn a lot when they play Malden, assuming they beat Scott City and East Prairie (which they should).

-- Posted by deadred on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 9:40 AM
  • It's obvious that Chaffee has a solid program. There problem is they are in a disrict with an 11 time state champ, and boy that gets old. Believe me I know.

-- Posted by buyer beware on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 9:55 AM
  • Same thing I was thinking, I just didn't want to tell them that after a 4-0 start.

-- Posted by buyer beware on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 10:17 AM
  • Well thanks everyone for the compliments. Let me address a couple of questions. Some feel that Sikeston is too high at #2. To be honest, I almost put Jackson at #2, but decided to give Sikeston credit for going 4-0 despite injuries to many key players. And their defense has been incredible, giving up just 14 points and pitching 3 shutouts. Remember Charleston scored on a turnover by the offense.

As for the Malden vs. Chaffee debate, I think that Chaffee's historic 4-0 start gives them the nod right now. It's not like they've just squeaked by those four teams, they've dominated them. talkinghead and deadred make some good points here. I do think the two teams are very close though and they'll settle it on the field in a few weeks anyway.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 10:23 AM

And NMCC ruined Portageville's undefeated season and beat them worse than Valle did.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 10:26 AM
  • Is this ranking based on how these teams would do against each other? Or how they are doing in there class and schedule?

-- Posted by buyer beware on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 10:30 AM
  • Buyer Beware, I actually took both things into consideration.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 10:32 AM
  • Having seen most of the top ten teams in action on Friday night already I will post my top ten.

1. PHC

2. Jackson

3. Valle

4. Sikeston

5. CVille

6. St. Gen

7. Cape

8. Bluff

9. Malden

10.NMCC

And I would have Festus put high but I know you guys don't consider them far enough South

-- Posted by BleedRedBlack on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 11:33 AM
  • BleedRedBlack, why do you have NMCC in and Chaffee out?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 11:51 AM
  • Basically strength of schedule. NMCC is always a team that takes 2 or 3 weeks to get going. NMCC beat a talented Charleston team. Just ask Caruthersville fans

-- Posted by BleedRedBlack on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 12:35 PM

Charleston did play much better than previous years but Caruthersville definitely didn't play their best game either. Was also without 2 players in that game in Roderick Jones, and Fugate. They only scored once from scrimmage so it's not like they moved the ball at will. Not taking anything away from them at all though, I still think it will be Caruthersville/Charleston for the district championship. Charleston usually get's up for the Caruthersville game, which attributes them playing well. I honestly think Charleston has replaced Hayti for the rivalry game for Caruthersville. The Hayti/Cville game is more friendlier than years past. The matchup tomorrow night with NMCC is an interesting one to me. We will see if NMCC is really improved that much since the first couple weeks. I'm excited to get to see the game tomorrow night. Should be perfect weather.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 1:07 PM
  • If Caruthersville plays as well against NMCC as they played against Dexter, I believe they will beat the Eagles just as badly as they beat the Bearcats.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 1:36 PM
  • No offense Preach as I too am from your town, but there is no way the eagles get beat like the bearcats did. Final 35-14

-- Posted by BleedRedBlack on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 1:38 PM
  • It'll be interesting who Valle selects for their "free" opponent next year. With the new system, bigger schools won't want the burden of possibly losing to a smaller schools but Valle will most likely be looking for a challenge. They might renew it with NMCC or maybe a new SEMO school.

-- Posted by blackNgold007 on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 2:23 PM
  • No offense taken BRB. We will find out Friday night.

blackNgold007, what new system are your talking about?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 2:30 PM
  • Heard through the grape vine valle dropped tolten catholic and added potosi. Not sure how accurate but does strengthen the schedule if true.

-- Posted by ESPN05 on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 3:30 PM
  • I was looking at Valle's program and was suprised to see, 6 seniors, 7 juniors, 16 sophmores and 19 freshman. How do you guys schools break down?

-- Posted by buyer beware on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 4:17 PM
  • Dexter's last program listed 11 seniors, 17 juniors, 18 sophomores, and 2 freshmen.

Caruthersville's varsity listed 10 seniors, 8 juniors, 12 sophomores, and 13 freshmen.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 6:34 PM
  • East Prarie has 3 of each. One guy for every position and 1 team manager.

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 7:04 PM

Those numbers look good Preach. I just looked over our starting line-up. Only 5 seniors play defense for Cville and 6 for offense. We have a very good group of young players coming up the next few years and some are even playing now.

Just listened to the coaches show for Caruthersville and we'll be without our starting Center Tyler Quartermous because of injury, but other than that, everyone else is good to go.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 7:57 PM
  • FallSoHard, East Prairie only has 12 football players? Better hope no one gets hurt!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 8:56 PM
  • I'm joking, I think it's around 20

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 8:59 PM
  • I guess it's not new anymore since it's been implemented for some years now. The point playoff system is what I was referring to Preach.

-- Posted by blackNgold007 on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 11:07 PM
  • I thought so blackNgold007, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. With their track record, though, I don't think Valle will have much trouble finding a larger school to schedule them. Good programs will welcome the challenge. I don't think losing to a small school hurts you anymore than any other loss. On the other hand, you are rewarded for playing up.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Sep 26, 2013, at 11:59 PM
  • I'm pretty sure you get awarded for playing down too. But I could have read that wrong.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Fri, Sep 27, 2013, at 6:40 AM
  • Preacher Man. Congrats to your Bearcats on their win. They have dealt with a lot of adversity this year. I admire Dexter's commitment to doing what is right for the kids and their future. Im so glad they were rewarded with some satisfaction.

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Sat, Sep 28, 2013, at 11:45 PM
  • Thank you dadscatfood. Hopefully we can keep it going this week vs. NMCC.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Sep 29, 2013, at 1:14 PM
  • Yes good to see cats with a W, congrats

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sun, Sep 29, 2013, at 2:51 PM

I would give NMCC a slight edge over Dexter but it will be a heck of a game.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Sep 30, 2013, at 8:10 AM
  • Thanks for the post Preacher Man Fan !

-- Posted by pmstewert420 on Wed, Oct 2, 2013, at 1:41 PM
  • Time for an update, PMF. Your rankings should have changed now that we are more than half way through the season. Jackson looks to have now taken a solid lead at the top in anyone's analysis and should have taken the Top Defense title away from Sikeston.

BTW, Jackson's loss to Vianney was in week 2 and they were without two of their big playmakers on offense, making them one-dimensional. Their defense has improved to the point that I think they will be able to give Vianney a much better test in a possible rematch.

Anyway, no way does PHC hang with Jackson.

-- Posted by mythoughts2 on Mon, Oct 7, 2013, at 9:25 PM
  • "mythoughts2", are you serious saying no way PHC hangs with Jackson. Jackson struggled for 3 quarters to beat North County and PHC rolled them 34-7.

-- Posted by hardwork on Tue, Oct 8, 2013, at 8:57 AM
  • "hardwork," of course I'm serious. You're judging Jackson by their first 3 quarters of the season without looking at their 4th qtr.? Seriously? Meanwhile, PHC could only score 3 pts. on Sullivan that first game, the fewest points Sullivan's given up all year.

Keep in mind, Jackson was without their key running back in that game as well as in the Vianney game. They have another dimension to their offense now and that is why I can say that PHC would not be able to hang with Jackson... TODAY.

-- Posted by mythoughts2 on Tue, Oct 8, 2013, at 9:46 AM
  • What is definition of hang? Because I believe it would be a close game..

-- Posted by hardwork on Tue, Oct 8, 2013, at 1:48 PM
  • I don't think it would. If Sikeston couldn't keep it close, PHC wouldn't either. Unfortunately, it can only be conjecture since they will never play each other.

-- Posted by mythoughts2 on Tue, Oct 8, 2013, at 2:05 PM
  • Your right they will never play but don't use the Sikeston comparision because they are down this year. Heck they barely beat Farmington who is really bad this year.

-- Posted by hardwork on Tue, Oct 8, 2013, at 2:54 PM
  • PHC dominated every aspect of the game vs NC, which is a feat that Jackson was unable to duplicate. (Not that it really matters, just something to think about. )

-- Posted by zachattack on Tue, Oct 8, 2013, at 6:25 PM
  • ZACH, Jackson beat NC 47-13 while PHC won 34-7, so can you tell me which aspect of the game Jackson did not dominate NC and PHC did? Jackson put up 486 total yards, their QB was 13-15 passes, he ran for 147 yds. on 13 carries, and their 2nd string RB had 176 yds. on 12 carries! Pretty dominating I'd say.

-- Posted by mythoughts2 on Wed, Oct 9, 2013, at 9:52 AM
  • Hythoughts2 you have to realize Zack watches a game through a camara and has no respect for other teams his "dominated every aspect of the game".. by the way he uses often ..holds no clout on this forum!

-- Posted by SGFAN on Wed, Oct 9, 2013, at 10:36 AM
  • I can understand PHC fans' recent enthusiasm for their team after so many years being everybody's doormat. It's natural to jump to hyperbole under that circumstance. I would just suggest ZACH curb his enthusiasm a little because it's interfering with his reasoning.

-- Posted by mythoughts2 on Wed, Oct 9, 2013, at 11:33 AM
  • Ok, mythoughts2, I had that coming. I thought Jackson had to come back late.

My level of enthusiasm is fine where it's at.

Good luck on Friday.

-- Posted by zachattack on Wed, Oct 9, 2013, at 2:26 PM
  • You have good reason to be enthusiastic about your team this year, ZACH.

Jackson did explode in the 4th qtr. with 4 of their 7 TDs, but it was over before that. It was the first game of the season and they just had to figure out a few things.

-- Posted by mythoughts2 on Wed, Oct 9, 2013, at 2:42 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: