Semoball

High School Football Forum: Disappointing Sikeston

Posted by TellingTheTruth on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 10:35 PM:

I cannot imagine what they see in the starting QB for Sikeston. So much talent available on that team and they are using a kid who can't and won't pass the ball. What happened to using Austin Brown as QB? From what I saw and have heard, he is tons better than the current starter. Not sure what is going on with this team but I am one frustrated Bulldog fan.

Replies (116)

• You need to keep it in perspective TellingTheTruth. It was one game and means nothing in district play. Try living in Dexter the last two seasons if you want frustrating.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 10:43 PM
  • We only lost 1 game so far to a really good Jackson team it will be ok. Don't take it out on Reese.

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 10:46 PM
  • Play calling. Sikeston's offense hasn't been the same since there Offensive Coordinator left before last season. Gibbs is calling the plays and can't see what an OC would see from the press box!

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 10:48 PM
  • Looks like the sky is falling in Sikeston...can they beat Cape next week???

-- Posted by RedShirt on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 10:49 PM
  • I looked outside I didnt see the sky falling at all. As for Cape I guess we will find that out next week.

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 10:56 PM
  • I thought Word ran tough and #24 was impressive at times. I think you all can handle Cape and will be happy with the outcome as long as your defense holds.

-- Posted by Jax12 on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:21 PM
  • Up the middle up the middle pass!

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:22 PM
  • Well I don't believe the Bulldogs can beat Cape. Cape has a bunch of good players and should be a lot better than they are. Who knows why they can't seem to get it together. Sure they beat Farmington tonight but the Knights are way down this year. We'll see........

-- Posted by wolfwoman on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:50 PM
  • I dont think a different starting qb wouldve held jackson under 49 pts tonite.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Oct 4, 2013, at 11:56 PM
  • I hope I'm wrong but Sikeston is likely to not win another game this season. Wasn't anything personal against Reese, he simply doesn't have the skills to be QB. Not to to mention he's scared to get hit, which is one of the reasons he only takes the time for one read and then takes off or throws into coverage. Just seems a shame to see Ray Council and many other very athletic kids not be able to be utilized because of the QB. I don't know it all and it is too easy to sit here and coach it up from the bleachers. However, this seems to be a good group of kids not being able to string any plays together.

-- Posted by TellingTheTruth on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 12:00 AM

I don't know if there is a really good qb on this team... And so they play a good athlete there... Very similar to last year... Kyland was just a much more explosive player..

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 12:04 AM

Tells the truth...you're wrong stay in the stands... But they do need to get lil ray ray the ball more

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 12:06 AM

And if you think Reese porter is afraid of contact you're slow... I've personally seen him get the crap knocked out of him and if it did anything it made him mad and he ran harder

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 12:07 AM

This seems all to reactionary. Reese has struggles but is not a bad QB in by any means. I think the problem is that he is still somewhat new to making reads so therefore he is little bit slower especially when you compare to Jackson's QB. If there is one thing I would implore Coach Gibbs to do it's to earmark your QBs in their freshman and sophomore years so they can get the work in and the reps.

That being said the ball was not getting moved to that for a ton of reasons not just the QB. 74 for Jackson is a relatively unheralded player for how much he dominates. I sat down with some Sikeston OL earlier this week and they had a plan to stop him or at least slow him down but for the most part he had his way with interior line of Sikeston especially in the first quarter. That's just one example of a smaller positional battle can adds to a domino effect. The LBs for Jackson contained the edge runs for Sikeston for the most part as did the DEs. It just happens that way sometimes you get doused. Doesn't mean the dogs can't win their district though.

-- Posted by Bunk on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 12:17 AM
  • I am going to say up-front I may have as much contact with the SHS coaching staff as anyone posting on this subject. Now for the three naysayers (TellingTheTruth, REDDIRTDOG, and wolfwoman. Coach Gibbs has been here 7 years he has led the dogs to 2 state semi-final games, we have been conference champions 3 years in a row. As Preacher Man Fan said, what if you were a Dexter fan.

As far as your PERSONAL attacks on Reese Porter, they are untrue and show a lot about your knowledge of the game.

I have heard NOTHING about Austin Brown being a QB, the backup QB (Nathan Hampton) will be the QB the next 2 years, God willing and the creek don't rise.

REDDIRTDOG, Coach Gibbs wears a headset as in constant contact with the coaches in the press box.

I think the Dogs could be 8-1 at the end of the regular season and get the 1 seed in the playoff.

Not one of the naysayers said a word about the fact that after this "horrible season" this team with no QB and an "idiot" calling plays is #1 in Class 4 District 1 after 6 games. I only hope that we continue to have great athletes and tremendous coaches as we go forward.

-- Posted by SHS59 on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 7:48 AM
  • My updated thoughts on how I think the district will pan out. Also, Telling the truth, in regards to your starting statement on this thread. Every game counts in district play.

1. Hillsboro 7-2

2. Festus 6-3

3. Sikeston 6-3

4. NC 6-3

5. Cape 4-5

6. Perryville 3-6

7. Farmington 1-8

8. Desoto 1-8

Just a prediction. It might not even play out like this, but it's fun to try and figure it out. Cape beats Sikeston, IMO.

-- Posted by Gus_Belenski on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 8:00 AM
  • Gibbs is a great coach! That being said not every HC is a great play caller. He has done great things for Sikeston though and I am proud of what they have accomplished!

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 8:01 AM

There wasn't a play to be called last night that didn't expose the Sikeston blocking at OL, WR, RB often against bigger and sometimes faster Jackson counterparts. Jackson's defense has been undersold on this site

-- Posted by Bunk on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 8:16 AM
  • Amen Bunk

-- Posted by SHS59 on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 8:24 AM
  • Cape will beat Sikeston

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 8:43 AM

I don't think so fall so hard. It is a possibility though.

-- Posted by Bunk on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 8:48 AM
  • And I'm not just talking about last night. Yes, our blocking was horrible, but I'm talking about the play calling in other games dating back to last season.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 8:48 AM
  • Sikeston can bounce back...but they were exposed Friday night at Jakcson.

-- Posted by RedShirt on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 9:31 AM

Not many teams in Semo can do what Jackson did last night to Sikeston. To say they can't bounce back from this is a little foolish. It's true, winning district this year will be tougher but I wouldn't count them out yet. No need in pouring salt on the wound.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 9:46 AM
  • I agree with you Gus on how districts will pan out! I predicted 5-4 or 6-3 for dawgs at beginning of season. At this point just hopin we get a home district game and i think we should.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 9:46 AM
  • It was one game. Jackson is better. Coach Gibbs said that in his interview. We are 5-1. If you asked any Sikeston fan, before the season, if we would have taken this record at this point in the season I'm sure all of the responses would have been "yes."

I believe Coach Gibbs has EARNED enough around here to not "call for his head" after a loss....especially when we are 5-1. Good grief, folks.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 9:50 AM
  • Sikeston fans we will never learn. You have to play better teams to get better. We play good competition in basketball and baseball, but never in football. Maybe we need to schedule some Saturday games where we can travel north and play some better teams. We use to when I was in school.

I have said for years we pump these boys up by beating teams half our school size and then when it matters we get beat.

Tell the "Friends of the Program" to invest in some Saturday expenses for travel, instead of feeding them breakfast and cooking for them after the games.Invest in it for your future part of the season.

I think we may win against Jennings and then if we play Perryville in playoffs maybe. But we truly showed alot of weaknesses last night that I had seen all season.

-- Posted by PManning_is$$$$$ on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 9:50 AM
  • Sikeston has a good team, they just ran into a real championship contending caliber team last night. That team has some future college players on it.

I think Sikeston has a chance of winning the rest of their games this year.

-- Posted by cadult10 on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 9:50 AM
  • I agree on playing bigger schools...the Charleston game regardless of tradition is grossly unfair to Charleston and the same could be argued for New Madrid.

Play them in JV and Junior High but not varsity..

-- Posted by cadult10 on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 9:58 AM

Here is the thing when Sikeston was a legitimate top 5 or even top 3 team in all of class 4 in years 3 and 4 of Gibbs tenure the dogs played a lighter schedule than the one they do now. The schedule better teams thing never holds as much water in reality as it does on paper. You are your talent and you are your skill level. I don't think that playing a better team really changes either with any kind of significance

-- Posted by Bunk on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 10:14 AM
  • There are 2 problems with playing large St. Louis schools. 1. They will have to be paid to come here, if not we will have to go up there every year. 2. You will not have enough fans to fill a school bus traveling to St. Louis. I know that Andy and coach Gibbs have called all the Class 4 schools in St. Louis, with no takers.

Thanks Bunk for your history lesson about weak schedules. Also thank you Rocket689 for reminding people about coach Gibbs record.

If you don't like coach Gibbs maybe we can get coach Dement to come out of retirement!!!

-- Posted by SHS59 on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 11:28 AM
  • No doubt!! Coaches are only as good as the talent they have. We have obviously had a downturn in talent, but so did jackson for five full years!! No coach couldve had any success with jackson prior to last year. Talent ebbs and flows, jacksons is on the upswing and we are on the downswing. Knute Rockne couldnt have gotten us in the endzone last nite.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 12:18 PM

I wouldn't count out Rockne. Just saying.

-- Posted by Chris Pobst on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 1:39 PM
  • I agree with cirithungol. The Bulldogs are in a downcycle and will have to wait for some better athletes to come up through the system. Not that the Bulldogs are without any talent this year but they definitely don't have the talent they have been use to. The Indians can relate after experiencing the last 4 or 5 years without much talent. They're loaded now and for the next 3 to 4 years they will be decent. I don't believe they're are good enough to make a real deep run in class 5 though. Coach Gibbs is a great coach and the Bulldogs are lucky to have him run their program.

-- Posted by wolfwoman on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 4:05 PM
  • The offense is bad and the defense is average.. A little humility is good for your fan base. Go Tigers!!!

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 4:31 PM
  • Sikeston will never change as far as football.

-- Posted by PManning_is$$$$$ on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 8:36 PM
  • Does any of the teams Sikeston beat have a winning record??

-- Posted by PManning_is$$$$$ on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 8:40 PM
  • Shoot they all have winning records, don't you know that southeast mo is known for their great football teams.

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 9:26 PM
  • It's the attitude of fans who are poised to jump on the "coach" when things don't go as well as hoped, help drive quality coaches out of the profession! It's those some fans who don't deserve to have coaches of the caliber of Coach Gibbs, etc. to head their athletic programs. Talk about not being grateful!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 9:38 PM
  • I was at one game and sat by people I don't normally and one minute they were praising the coach the next saying how awful he was and wondered why he was doing something they wouldn't of done that. Then when it worked out the coaches way they were praising him. I made sure I didn't sit anywhere near those ppl this time.

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Oct 5, 2013, at 9:49 PM
  • Sikeston could have played the Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos and the Tom Brady and the New England Patriots and every other talented team in the nation. It wouldn't have made any difference against Jackson. They are a better football team and would have won 49-0 regardless of who Sikeston played leading up to that game. Jackson is better this year. It happens folks.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sun, Oct 6, 2013, at 12:58 AM
  • ^^^^finally someone with sense

-- Posted by trainhard on Sun, Oct 6, 2013, at 9:41 AM
  • Ok,Cape plays a tough schedule. Lets see how we do against them.

-- Posted by PManning_is$$$$$ on Sun, Oct 6, 2013, at 9:56 AM
  • Wow! One of Jackson players said that Sikeston was their least favorite team. I guess that's a compliment???

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Oct 6, 2013, at 10:07 AM
  • I believe that's a compliment if players don't like a team.

-- Posted by bulldogs123 on Mon, Nov 4, 2013, at 2:32 PM
  • Peyton...your lack of intelligence is remarkably present. Do yourself and the rest of us Sikeston faithful and please stop with the nonsense. You have NO IDEA what the "Friends of the Program" is about.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Nov 4, 2013, at 10:25 PM
  • #74 Hobeck did not score 49 points

-- Posted by chsfan185 on Tue, Nov 5, 2013, at 1:37 AM
  • I know one of the coaches for Sikeston and he said Sikeston will not be very good for the next 3-4 years. Ya'll had a good run the last couple of years though. Every school goes through this...

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Tue, Nov 5, 2013, at 7:22 AM
  • footballfan29, I know you won't say the coaches name that told you this "information" but I suspect it was not a coach. No coach that I know would make this prediction that far in advance. I think they will be much better next simply because the 4 starting linemen that did not play against NC will all be back along with a good group of juniors.

-- Posted by SHS59 on Tue, Nov 5, 2013, at 7:38 AM
  • Hey if Sikeston doesn't want Gibbs, I'll take him at SG whenever Stolzer hangs it up.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Tue, Nov 5, 2013, at 10:16 AM

I'm sorry, but I beg to differ... I think next season could be another 6-4 or 7-3 season, but when this years 8th and 7th graders come through... WATCHOUT!

As SHS59 said... I don't think any coach would say that at this time.

We gain several key skill position that will be freshman next season and by their sophomore seasons they will start making an impact! So I don't see this being a down swing too long. I would say we will be as athletic as we have been in the past starting in 2015. So maybe, MAYBE a couple more avertage seasons before a special group will make a huge impact. (oh and this group of skill athletes are also pretty salty in basketball)

-- Posted by Haterade on Tue, Nov 5, 2013, at 10:55 AM
  • I don't think we will be down at all maybe about the same plus Earnest did really well that last game so I'm sure he will be key next year plus Nathan as quarterback! Never give up the JV only lost 2 games.

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Nov 5, 2013, at 11:52 AM
  • I don't think Sikeston will beat Jackson in football or basketball the next couple of years!

-- Posted by Indiansfan4life on Tue, Nov 5, 2013, at 12:28 PM
  • That's why they play the games.......

-- Posted by Headhunt on Tue, Nov 5, 2013, at 1:19 PM
  • I would start with the coaches keeping the players from doing a dance on other teams 50yrd line mascot! Not only is it bad sportsmanship, it seemed to fire other team up! It may work with the small schools you play, but not one of your caliber!

-- Posted by Ftballrules on Tue, Nov 5, 2013, at 9:33 PM

Austin Brown is a better qb but sikeston coaches figured that would be too easy and boring so they decided to shake things up.

-- Posted by TheWarriorz on Tue, Nov 5, 2013, at 10:45 PM
  • If Sikeston basketball does the same dance at midcourt as the football team, they have no chance of beating Jackson. None. If was a TOTAL game changer

-- Posted by Swoop on Tue, Nov 5, 2013, at 11:09 PM
  • Seriously a game changer?? Ya would of beaten us anyway. Yes it wasn't right and yes they got in trouble but let it rest pay them back next year since your still stressing about it.

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 6:54 AM
  • Hey to burst yalls bubble down there in Sikeston, BUT YES one of your coaches did say that. He said Sikeston will not be good again for another 3-4 years and thats until the 8th and 9th grade classes are Juniors and Seniors in high school, barring major injuries of course and transfers...

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 7:13 AM
  • Oh and I agree with... Indiansfan4life

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 7:14 AM
  • Sarcasm TFA

-- Posted by Swoop on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 7:39 AM
  • footballfan29, "IF" a football coach told you that "STORY" I would hope that he will no longer be coaching at SHS. If it was not a football coach, he should keep his mouth shut. Lastly I would say that lots of programs would be happy to finish 6-4 and call that a "GOOD" season.

-- Posted by SHS59 on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 8:06 AM
  • You Sikeston guys better get ready for some ribbing for at least the next couple years. This is the first chance anybody's had to do it in quite a few years.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 8:15 AM

Hey swoop you can be upset all you want at the mid court dance but guess what if Sikeston basketball players went to every Jackson basketball player personally and told them an your momma joke than it still wouldn't matter because Sikeston basketball is winning.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 8:43 AM
  • Bunk,

I believe the Jackson basketball team will be quite good this year, just like the Jackson football team. You might need a fork, in case you have to eat your words here in a couple months.

-- Posted by youarebad on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 9:05 AM

I like Jackson's team this year too and they are a good team but they aren't better than Sikeston's basketball team and just so the record is clear Swoop claimed a victory for his team first

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 9:12 AM
  • Sorry swoop didnt know that. I admit that Jackson bball probably will be decent I don't know how many graduated and I really don't know how our team will be I'm thinking pretty decent but I'm just hoping we don't fall asleep while playing ya because ya play slow slow ball. Ok I'm done just has to put a little jab in there for fun.

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 9:14 AM
  • Swoop was being sarcastic, Bunk. People made much too big of a deal about the "dancing on the logo" BS. I think Sikeston wins in basketball too.

-- Posted by Swoop on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 11:25 AM
  • I think it should be made a big deal and i hope to never see it again, i was embarrassed our team did that and hope to never see it again. Kinda like when jackson fans took a victory lap around capes field. Both are equally classless and equally ignorant.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 11:34 AM

My personal opinion is that as long as it isn't singling out a specific player than group celebration is fine.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 12:15 PM
  • I agree but i believe you should show a little respect as a visitor to another school's field by not acting like clowns and thoroughly embarrassing yourselves. Just the way i was brought up, it was a different epoch, i realize that.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 12:27 PM

I wouldn't be happy if someone "danced" on our 50 yard line. If doing something stupid is what a team has to do to get pumped up then they're in for a treat. My question is...what did those teams do about it when sikeston pranced on their field like they did? If their field and playing in front of their family and friends means enough to them (teams who watched Sikeston do this stupid stuff) then I would hope they did something about it within the confines of the game.

-- Posted by TheWarriorz on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 12:45 PM

Geez people are taking a team activity that is about the team doing that activity to mean its about disrespect for the opposing team, it's town, and fans. Guess what the dance isn't about you or where the field is. It is about being as one and doing the same thing in unison with your teammates and having fun. When the MRH basketball team came to Sikeston last they did a silly tribal dance and slided to mid court on their bellies in the pre game. Didn't both us and nobody booed.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 1:11 PM

So why did they "dance" have to be done at the 50 yard line? What if both teams wanted to do it at the same time? Do many classy teams do this? New England Patriots? Broncos? Colts? Valle? SV? Who else?

-- Posted by TheWarriorz on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 1:17 PM

In football games, the only things my teammates and I were worried about doing in unison were posessing and moving the football. Not dancing.

-- Posted by TheWarriorz on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 1:18 PM
  • Sure they did something about it, they whopped us, (Jackson) they blasted us on here then I was told they put it on topix!! Because that's such a news worthy site. I think they are looking for a lawsuit in there I'm sure. It's done, it's over, coaches jumped their butts and I betcha they won't do it next year.

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 1:27 PM
  • It's not even a dance. It's a break down. They always went to the middle of whatever field they played on. They didn't do it out of disrespect. When they were told not to go to the middle of the field anymore at away games, they did it by the sideline. They are kids who were getting pumped up for a football game. They weren't trying to be disrespectful or upset the old farts sitting in the stands.

-- Posted by Swoop on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 1:31 PM
  • I saw many many players stomping and actually rubbing out the logo. So this " group unison act" was unable to be handled by immature players. Im glad to hear the coaches nullified the act at away games.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 2:03 PM
  • And it didnt work, we got drubbed by a merciful 49, coulda easily been 69.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 2:05 PM

Ok let's be clear this breakdown was not new or unique to Jackson it has been done home or away since I played there in high school in 2007-09. It has been done at every game home and away basketball and football. Sometimes it's in the middle of the field or in the end zone or on the side of the court, or on mid court. It has literally happened countless times and this one instance was just so egregious that everyone needs to claim it to be disrespectful and wrong. Why this specific occurance?

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 2:19 PM

Also it it's not like the breakdown does on doesn't work in terms of winning its a team unity thing used to get pumped up for games. If the team is excited, focused, and unified than guess what 100% success rate.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 2:21 PM
  • I watched Ruffin play at MAC last night and he had a decent game had around 7-8 pts. and took care of the ball better than his teamates did but they lost to my Cards by 25.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 2:23 PM
  • Random man....

-- Posted by Indiansfan4life on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 3:42 PM

Last comment...does this breakdown consist of spiritual and physical nirvana?

-- Posted by TheWarriorz on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 7:22 PM
  • In conclusion i would say its only disrespectful if done on an away school's logo. The team unifying breakdown jungle fever hip hop testosterone elevating break dancing chest thumping acrobatics are ok elsewhere on the field. In my book.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 8:13 PM

Lol. I agree.

-- Posted by TheWarriorz on Wed, Nov 6, 2013, at 8:15 PM
  • Congrats to Cape and Jackson, as I said before you play tougher competition to get ready for state playoffs not to boost your record. Good Luck

-- Posted by PManning_is$$$$$ on Tue, Nov 12, 2013, at 1:09 PM
  • PManning...your comment is not totally correct. Sikeston basketball gets blasted all the time for a "weak" schedule. They seem to do ok in spite of that. Besides that...the Sikeston football team has played the same basic schedule for years. The Dogs just had a down year. Period. Playing the Broncos and Patriots would have not made them better.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Nov 12, 2013, at 3:46 PM
  • You obviously have an ax to grind with the Sikeston coaching staff. That's ok. You have every right to your ax and with whom to grind them. However, it seems that your emotions have caused you to draw illogical conclusions.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Nov 12, 2013, at 3:47 PM
  • Rocket,

I DO NOT have an ax to grind with anyone but the scheduler, whom ever that may be. If Cape can go play tough teams to make them better, why can't Sikeston? Cape lost their first 3 games and played Bluff who was 3-0 and Cape beat them bad. The years we went deep into the play offs we had great athletes, we weren't prepared because we had not face adversities in playing better schools.

We continue to play our same old schedule and we will continue to lose at the end of the year when we have to play schools our size. That is all I am saying.

Its just so frustrating as a fan to continue to watch us lose the games that count because we weren't prepared.

-- Posted by PManning_is$$$$$ on Tue, Nov 12, 2013, at 4:38 PM
  • Maybe you should go talk to the AD and express your concern. I'm sure they'll be interested in your ideas for who to schedule. I'm sure teams like Webb City, Burroughs, Kirkwood, Jeff City, Helias, Blue Springs South, and Maryville are jumping at the bit to drop someone in their area for Sikeston.

Playing weak teams does not make or break your season. Playing down to the level of those weak teams is what does. And that's on the kids.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Tue, Nov 12, 2013, at 5:12 PM
  • Yes the basketball team does get hammered for playing a "weak" schedule too BUT, they play in big games along the way to prepare them for their run every year.

We losing to Maplewood last year was the best thing that happen to us as it made work even harder.

It makes you better thats all I'm saying.

-- Posted by PManning_is$$$$$ on Tue, Nov 12, 2013, at 5:22 PM
  • I've said it before and I'll say it again.... I will defer to Coach Holifield, Coach Gibbs, and Coach McGill (AD) for the scheduling of the respective sports over some "expert" on semoball.

Again...you are drawing an illogical conclusion.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Nov 12, 2013, at 7:58 PM
  • The endless debate of scheduling.....

I' m with Rocket on this one. I think the coaches know what is best for their program so I'll leave it to them.

But since we're here, lets look at their schedule. They play four conference opponents that are locked in (Farmington, Cape, Bluff, Jackson). They play three "rivalry" games with Charleston, NMCC, Dexter. You can say they could replace those games with far stronger competition, but you seem to forget that all three of those teams have had success against Sikeston in the recent past. There was a time NMCC was one of the toughest games on the schedule. There was a time Dexter beat Sikeston 6 straight years. Charleston beat Sikeston 3 straight years, although I do concede that Sikeston has pretty well dominated all three when you take into account the series history of it. But throughout the 2000-2007 seasons, those teams all had success. During that time there wasn't anybody that thought these teams didn't deserve to be on Sikeston's schedule.

And to round out the schedule, Sikeston has recently added Jennings and Cardinal Ritter, both of the St. Louis area. They've lost both times they've played Ritter and they've won both games against Jennings, one was close and one wasn't. So of the nine games they play, who should they drop? And if they drop Charleston, NMCC, Dexter, and picked up three powerhouse programs in St. Louis or Memphis, what do you have then? Probably a 3-7 or 2-8 team instead of a 6-4 team and I'm not sure what you've gained by beefing the schedule up.

You look at what Cape has done. Yes they played a tough schedule and started 1-4 and now they are 8-4 and district champs. But is that a product of playing tough early games, or is it a product of them finally playing up to their capabilities? In my opinion, they are far more talented compared to all other teams in the district, which they clearly showed when it was all said and done. Underachieved early in the season, and finally have put it together.

But anyway, that's my opinion on the matter. Doesn't make me right. Doesn't make me wrong. Everybody has their own opinion on schedules. You can debate it all day long but when it's all said and done, I trust the coaches of their respective schools to decide what fits them best and leave it at that.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Nov 12, 2013, at 9:53 PM
  • But I also know that Sikeston has contacted several St. Louis area schools about playing and very few show interest for whatever reason. Only Jennings and Cardinal Ritter showed much interest in making the trip. Maybe a couple others. Parkway Central I believe was interested. They were able to work the first two in the schedule. So it's not like that haven't tried to add some tougher teams. But you talk to people in St. Louis, they think Cape Girardeau is just a short little drive down the interstate. They think Sikeston is down around New Orleans.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Nov 12, 2013, at 10:03 PM
  • I think playing tougher teams early doesn't necessarily make you better. but maybe playing tough teams early on instead of cupcake games will better prepare a team come playoff time so they aren't overwhelmed or surprised by the size, speed, strength etc of a playoff caliber team of the same size as them after playing smaller schools all year long

-- Posted by uptobat on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 12:54 AM
  • First you don't have to drop any of those teams u listed they are all in Semo conference besides Farmington. The best thing would be is to play 2 more quilty tournements besides the Semo Conf. tourney.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 7:08 AM
  • BIGELW...if you are referring to basketball, the SEMO Conference tourney is one of the best, if not the best, tournaments in the state. Period. Besides...you can't just drop the tourney since it is your conference. Charleston, Cape, ND, PB, Kennett, Jackson, and Sikeston all have a legitimate shot to win it this year. I think NMCC will be down a little, but Jimmerson will make them tough. ALL of the teams are improved and it will be a dandy this year.

Not to beat a dead horse, but especially in hoops, a southeast Missouri team doesn't have to travel to the corners of Missouri to find a good opponent. They can just look within 20 - 50 miles. Besides...I'll defer to Coach Holifield and Coach McGill (AD) on the Dogs basketball schedule.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 7:48 AM
  • I didn't say drop the Semo tourney i said get into 2 more touneys to play better competition. You are allowed to play in 3 tourneys and the Bass pro tourney is the best in the state.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 9:15 AM
  • "play 2 more quilty tournements besides the Semo Conf. tourney." - BIGELW

So...........drop the District Tournament?

-- Posted by Razor on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 9:40 AM
  • To my knowledge Bass Pro has not extended an invitation to Sikeston.

Sikeston is in two shootouts at Rector and Cape so it's up to the host school to pit an opponent in those cases. At Rector, Dyer County has declined offers to play against Sikeston, so there's always that. Sikeston's non-conference games are against Blytheville, Fredericktown, Maplewood, Soldan, Festus, Bernie, DeSoto and they are in the St. Dominic Christmas Tournament, which is not the toughest tournament on the planet, but you see plenty of good competition. Sikeston's schedule is perfect for them, obviously. You can't argue with the success they've had. But I do know they have attempted to add teams from the St. Louis area but similar to football, there isn't much interest in those schools to come all the way down to Sikeston.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 9:43 AM

So wait Sikeston is playing Soldan this year?

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 9:52 AM
  • Yes, they host Soldan on Friday, Jan. 31.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 9:55 AM

If Notre Dame, PB, Charleston, Kennett have a shot to win the SEMO conference tourney, than NMCC most certainly does. I think they can and will beat all those teams this year. I could also see them beating Sikeston and Cape just like last year.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 9:55 AM
  • Really the district tourney doesn't count and neither does shootouts. And i agree that most schools up north don't want to come down here to play that's why you get in tournements. I didn't mean for them to get in the Bass Pro tourney u pretty much have to have a high caliber player to get invited to that and Sikeston hasn't had one of those. I'm not knocking what Sikeston is doing or has done i'm just saying there are alot of tourneys out there if they wanted to try and get into one.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 9:59 AM

That's a good program in Soldan and a good program in MRH plus Sikeston usually gets a good team in the finals of the St Dom tourney. That's not a bad non con schedule considering that the semo conference is a pretty stacked conference this year.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 9:59 AM
  • Soldan usually has a good team but unless they have some move ins or good JV guys move up Sikeston will beat them by 25 they were really bad last season.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 10:04 AM

BIGELW you know yet whos going to be in that Poplar Bluff tourney!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 10:05 AM
  • Success is 99% talent and 1% scheduling. Rams won super bowl with weakest schedule. Sikeston hoops went undefeated with same schedule theyve always played. Bottom line: if ur not talented enough to win out, the schedule argument is ridiculous. Cape beat sikeston, festus and hillsboro because they were more talented hands down. The schedule did not make them more talented, it just made an already talented team have four losses. This schedule strength argument is as old as the hills and never ceases to be silly.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 10:07 AM
  • cirithungol17 = makes a lot of sense

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 10:10 AM

Great great point Ciri and well said

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 10:12 AM
  • well this has morphed to basketball, but still gonna make my point.

Class 4 District one may be as weak as I have seen in 5 years. Farmington 1-8 Perryville 2-7 Desoto 1-8 Festus 7-2 North c 6-3 Sikeston 6-3 Central 5-4 Hillsboro 7-2

Cape did play tougher opponents, yes, and they lost all 4. Cape is the best of Class 4 D 1.....doesn't mean they are better because of those 4 losses, it means they , this year, are better. Nothing against Cape....just looking at this historically. I bet it has been over a decade since Farmington was 1-8 So by your theory....had Farmington just played tougher opponents....THEY would be District Champs? Sikeston got to the State Final 4 in Football in 09, and 10 , pretty much same schedule as now.

Long story short....schedule or no schedule...Cape is better than everyone else in the District THIS year.

I remember Cape scheduling "tougher" schools in 2009 and 2010 as well....Sikeston still won....they played Parkwood North , Seckman, Rockwood Summit, Eureka (Class 5) , etc...in 09, in 10 they played North County, St Charles west, Festus....and went 9-1. Sikeston still beat them 21-0 and 40-0 in consecutive playoff games...that year....??

So help me out with that scheduling theory making you better.

I wish Cape the best. They deserve the shot...they have worked hard to get there....same with Jackson and C Ville

-- Posted by Headhunt on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 10:35 AM
  • No i don't know who's in it this year. I don't keep up with it as much as i did when my son played. I keep up with JUCO more now than high school. I'll see if i can find out.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 10:48 AM

Ah I totally understand! Thank you.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 10:55 AM
  • Same ole' Sikeston faithful. Lets keep everything the same. Tradition right?

Time for some hoops, I agree basketball is a totally different beast.

-- Posted by PManning_is$$$$$ on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 1:54 PM
  • No, same ole pmanning who wants to keep bringing up a completely illogical premise that scheduling class 6 opponents and going 0-9 before districts makes you more likely to win state. And you'll bring it up again if we finish third again in state hoops i reckon.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 2:30 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: