Semoball

High School Football Forum: Next Season

Posted by InYourOpinion on Sun, Nov 17, 2013, at 9:31 AM:

All right guys let's start looking at next season!! Which team will make the most improvement next season? Which one will fall off the most? My most improved will be East Prairie, biggest drop off will be CVille. What do you think?

Replies (30)

• I think its time for basketball football is over

-- Posted by yaeger on Sun, Nov 17, 2013, at 9:38 AM
  • I think that attitude is why the West side of the state kills the East when they get to the Dome...

Want to talk about basketball? There's a board for that, this aint it.

InYourOpinion,

There's no way to be sure, if I knew the schedule of every team I could make that assessment, but I'll try.

Biggest improvement: Kennett

Biggest dropoff: Malden

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Sun, Nov 17, 2013, at 10:00 AM
  • Boogin77, Malden only graduated 5 seniors so they should be even better next season.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Nov 17, 2013, at 11:34 AM

Caruthersville will not be as down and a lot of people think. They still return a great deal from this year. The one position that will be questionable will be the QB spot. Grissom was a great 3 year starter. We have a couple very talented guys going to compete for that spot. One will be a sophmore and the other a junior. Most of our lineman return as well, along with Rod Jones, who will probably be one of the better backs in Semo next year. I see good things for Cville in the next few years!

Preach is right. Malden will just reload next year. If any team has a chance to take the Tigers district crown, it will be them, although Cville will still be the team to beat. Look for St.Pius to make some noise as well in Class 2 District 1. That district is looking more competitive next year.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Nov 17, 2013, at 2:42 PM
  • Don't forget about Dremond Robinson when you speak of some of the best backs next season Jones is good but Malden has Robinson and Thompson who dominated cville at the line of scrimmage during the beggining of the game and I believe he's a sophomore also!

-- Posted by youknewitwasme on Sun, Nov 17, 2013, at 2:49 PM
  • Cheese, with Kelly playing varsity in 2014 and being eligible for district play, it would not surprise me to see St. Pius bumped up to District 2 and Jefferson being the northern-most team.

-- Posted by gianthook on Sun, Nov 17, 2013, at 3:00 PM

What part of "one of the better backs" didn't you understand? Meaning, there are others that is just as good and Robinson will be one of those backs. It's true, the Malden backs did run very good up until Cville made defensive adjustments and shut them down the rest of the game, remember, a football has 4 quarters, not 1. I was in no way saying there wasn't going to be any other good backs in the area, but mark my word, Jones will be very good himself, esp with most of our lineman coming back.

Other than Jones and Robinson, are there any other running backs in area looking to have a big year? I think if they give him a chance, Fobbs from Sikeston has potential to be very good.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Nov 17, 2013, at 3:01 PM

Gianthook, you're right! I also heard Penney Hamilton will be moving back up to Class 2 next year. Any truth to that?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Nov 17, 2013, at 3:01 PM
  • I believe Robinson rushed for over 200 I don't call that being shut down spite the score he was the best back on the feild!

-- Posted by youknewitwasme on Sun, Nov 17, 2013, at 3:30 PM
  • I think Dexter's RB Carson Dean has the chance to be really good next season.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Nov 17, 2013, at 3:34 PM
  • Cheese one of the biggest parts of CVille's attack has been a 1-2 punch at RB. Who will be the other half of that? I agree Kennett will be better. Malden will be good too. What about sikeston. For the sake of argument say every team has the same schedule preach.

-- Posted by InYourOpinion on Sun, Nov 17, 2013, at 3:39 PM

I'm not going to get into a childish back and forth. Fact is, Caruthersville won 60-18, without the best back in Semo, showing they didnt depend on just one guy. Staying with the topic, the man was asking about next year, I told him Caruthersville will not be down as most would think. So if you have anything to add to the topic, feel free to post.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Nov 17, 2013, at 3:45 PM

InYourOpinion- I'm not sure who will back Jones up just yet. There are several guys who can fill that back-up spot just fine. I'm more concerned with our QB position next year. With a decent QB, you're not going very far.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Nov 17, 2013, at 3:47 PM

*Without

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Nov 17, 2013, at 3:48 PM

I think Cape will have the best player in Semo next year in Al Young. I think he plays WR for them but I'm sure he could make the switch to RB just fine.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Nov 17, 2013, at 3:49 PM

Agreed cheese C'ville will still be the gold standard in Class 2 District 1. But I think we will be more improved in Passing next year with Chapen been a junior and 2 years under his belt so we will be more balanced run and pass.

-- Posted by Greenwave Football on Sun, Nov 17, 2013, at 3:55 PM
  • Well I'm just gone be honest I think Malden will be better than cville next year I know your gonna say cville is the reigning champs and that's fine and absolutely true but Malden will run semo class 2 next season Malden actually graduated 3 seniors that played all season only two started so you do the math!

-- Posted by youknewitwasme on Sun, Nov 17, 2013, at 4:01 PM
  • Cape Central is going to struggle next year, we are losing pretty much all of our o-line, d-line, linebackers, and quarterback haha. We will have 3 really good players (Al Young, Jalen Reddin, and Braion Owens) but not much after that. Al Young is probably playing quarterback next year. Festus and Hillsboro are going to be really solid, not sure about Sikeston/Jackson.

-- Posted by CTFan on Sun, Nov 17, 2013, at 5:24 PM
  • Cheese, just saw where someone close to the Penney program posted on MOSports that Penney has lost some enrollment, so I figure they will remain Class 1.

-- Posted by gianthook on Sun, Nov 17, 2013, at 5:38 PM
  • PHC will be good again. Several impressive sophomores and juniors will be back.

-- Posted by zachattack on Sun, Nov 17, 2013, at 5:44 PM
  • Penny was actually a weird situation this past go around, they were tied with 3 other football playing schools for 64th largest enrollment in the state, and the tiebreak was who had most recently been in the lower class.

Also I heard that Scott City could possibly drop to Class 1 due to a large enrollment drop

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Sun, Nov 17, 2013, at 5:54 PM
  • According to DESE building demographic data, Scott City High School, as of 11/10/13, had an enrollment of 274.

-- Posted by gianthook on Sun, Nov 17, 2013, at 6:14 PM
  • I do not know if the 274 figure for Scott City includes junior high students. Some school enrollments for high school list 7-12 figures, which DESE includes in its figures.

-- Posted by gianthook on Sun, Nov 17, 2013, at 6:23 PM
  • Don't know about SG! Lose a lot on both sides of the ball. Going to be really young next year. Hopefully the (now) sophomores will step up next year.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Tue, Nov 19, 2013, at 4:10 PM
  • as far as c'ville goes, i agree with cheese that i think they will be better than a lot of people think. sure, you never replace a monroe but the attack may be more balanced next year. it's also very tough to replace a 3-year starter at qb, but i think faulkner could step up and do a fine job. most of c'ville's line will return as well as a few skill positions too.

as far as running backs next year, pb's bi nguyen should be mentioned amongst the best backs. he rushed for over 1,700 yds as a jr this year. at 5-5 and 140 lbs, he's probably the best back pound for pound in the area.

-- Posted by myershallred on Tue, Nov 19, 2013, at 10:47 PM
  • I realize Hillsboro isnt on your list of schools. However we are in the same district as Cape and Sikeston. Be prepared to watch one of the best backfield combinations in the state. The Hawks coaching staff is amazing and will reload where needed.

-- Posted by F.O.P on Wed, Nov 20, 2013, at 7:30 AM
  • My Blackcats aren't losing very many starting seniors for next year, unfortunately I think most of them are the O & D Linemen. Coach Henson may have a decision to make at QB. Don't get me wrong, the current QB has done a good job with what he had. However, there's a freshman QB who has made an impression in JV games this season, might be worth giving him a shot at being a 3 year starter for varsity. This kid makes some of the past QB's at FredMo look puny, stands 6'3" or 4" and probably around 200# or so and got a rocket arm...

-- Posted by mojo3 on Wed, Nov 20, 2013, at 7:52 AM
  • FOP,

Cape handled the Hawks backfield this year and Al Young & Braion Owens return next year. CT isn't going anywhere.

CT always has size and speed to burn.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Wed, Nov 20, 2013, at 8:18 AM

Wow Boogin,

You think very highly of your team and that's good. I think you may have given Hillsboro and some others schools bulletin board material...not that Hillsboro needs that stuff with their "amazing" coaches.

-- Posted by LiveByTheSword on Wed, Nov 20, 2013, at 12:00 PM
  • Valle will be losing its tough QB, stud RB, one shifty WR, a solid DE and their best big man. But don't count them out. They have depth at the skill positions and should have enough line to make some noise again in '14. And most importantly, the coaching staff should remain in tact.

-- Posted by QuitCryin&PlayBall on Fri, Nov 22, 2013, at 1:14 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: