Semoball

High School Football Forum: Defense wins game?

Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Thu, Oct 2, 2014, at 7:51 PM:

I noticed in another thread a few people begin to talk about defense winning games. I don't think defense is discussed nearly as much as it should be in these forums. Most people want to talk about the best quarterbacks, running backs, and even the size of the offensive lines. I'd like to take a moment to note some great defenders from today's team and even past teams if you desire. WHO has the toughest defense in SEMO right now?? Please leave out the extra debates about SOS. No matter what your schedule is you have to stop the other teams. Lets talk DEFENSE!

Replies (17)

Position by position who has the tougher defense in 2014 Valle or Malden? I'm not talking historically team defense. Looking at what both teams are producing each weak position by position. I think Malden's d-line and d-backs are so quick and strong this year it's hard to out do them! Not to mention big Nick Thompson at middle backer killing the rush all day long!

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Thu, Oct 2, 2014, at 8:15 PM
  • I believe the best two defenses in Semo are Park Hills Central and Cape Central. Honorable mention to Jackson, Valle, and Malden.

I also want to give a shout-out to Dexter's defense who is only giving up 20 points a game this season. I'm not saying they are one of the best defenses, but that's a wholllllllle lot better than the last two seasons.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Oct 2, 2014, at 8:17 PM

By the way for the "smart guys" I can spell. I recognize that I used weak where it should be "week". My apologies. I have my degree!

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Thu, Oct 2, 2014, at 8:17 PM

Right on, Preach! Cape Central is very tough! I haven't watched Park Hills Central.

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Thu, Oct 2, 2014, at 8:19 PM

I looked at the MSHSHAA site. Park Hills' D has been good over the past 3 seasons. Some pretty impressive numbers!

2012-2013------

L 6-34 (Sullivan)

W 35-13

W 20-14

W 7-0

L 21-22 (Ste Gen)

W 33-6

W 35-0

W 27-7

W 60-7

W 49-0

W 25-24

W 28-7

L 0-24 (John Burroughs)

2013-2014------

W 3-0

W 34-7

W 25-0

W 39-6

W 17-14

W 34-0

W 41-0

W 39-0

W 52-0

W 49-0

W 53-0

W 30-8

L 14-24 (John Burroughs)

2014-2015------

W 34-27

W 55-7

W 42-12

W 40-0

W 36-3

W 32-6

-- Posted by BIZ MARKIE on Thu, Oct 2, 2014, at 9:08 PM

Biz, 2013-2014 was very impressive!

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Thu, Oct 2, 2014, at 9:14 PM
  • I take stats for PHC and to be honest SG is the only team to score on our varsity since week one. And week.one vs Sullivan was just a weird game we had over 500 yards of offense to their 130 or so. Turnovers were ridiculous.

I don't think we are as good at linebackers as we were last year, but Harlow has filled a huge gap with the loss of Caldwell/Lucas. On average we are giving up around 125 yards total offense a game.

-- Posted by Kzar on Thu, Oct 2, 2014, at 10:59 PM
  • They have a top notch athletic secondary who plays the run extremely well, two all state DEs and well above average MLBs and DTs. They are also well coached.

-- Posted by ALL MADISON COUNTY MVP on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 7:03 AM
  • The quote attributed to Paul "Bear" Bryant is "Offense wins games, but defense wins championships", but from what I've read what the Bear actually said was "Offense sells tickets, defense wins championships".

Anyway, I think it's more balanced, you need a decent offense to get you the points to win the games, but your defense needs to be top-notch to hold the good teams to fewer points than your offense can score. How many points does a defense score? Kzar may know with PHC, but I bet the ratio between defensive scoring (fumble recovery or interception returned for TD's) and offensive scoring is quite small even for a good defensive team.

Since PHC is being used as an example, I do agree the last few years have shown their defensive play has been stepped up. But at the same time, the offense is scoring. If Kzar can go back a few years, there were several high scoring games that the Rebels were involved in where they either lost or won by a TD or less. The improvement in the Rebel defense should be pretty obvious.

-- Posted by mojo3 on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 7:08 AM
  • MALDEN first team defense only have given up one td this season and they are 6-0 need i say more!!!

-- Posted by Green&GoldNation on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 7:16 AM

I wish I could check out more football games! I'd love to watch Valle, Malden, Jackson, Cape....etc. but there's only one Friday per week!

-- Posted by BIZ MARKIE on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 7:36 AM
  • Bleed Green Malden haven't played a JV SCHEDULE the player on the Malden team bought into there coach system which is a mean, anger team that get no respect.....

-- Posted by Green&GoldNation on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 8:49 AM

Bleed Green, Malden has played a schedule of their class and above! Don't hate!

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 8:52 AM
  • And I do believe that Malden have one of the top Defense around.... Go back and do stats nobody had a 100 yard rushing on them or passing...

-- Posted by Green&GoldNation on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 8:52 AM
  • And I do believe that Malden have one of the top Defense around.... Go back and do stats nobody had a 100 yard rushing on them or passing...

-- Posted by Green&GoldNation on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 8:53 AM
  • I'm curious as to what kind of season the Monroe kid from Caruthersville is having. He played D line against us and gave us fits! Anyone know his stats and how he is doing? I agree with the thread title. In most cases, defense wins games. That is why the numbers are so lopsided between Spread teams and power teams as far as championships go. Usually, a great spread team has tons of atheletes that can light up the board quick. But, when they get up against a good power team who can slow things down, they get in trouble. Most power running teams have that beast like defense to go along with it and they wear down the opponent.

-- Posted by Eaglesview86 on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 9:00 AM

Eagelesview I posted a link in the thread "Caruthersville Tigers" that has his to date stats.

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 9:45 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: