Semoball

High School Football Forum: Locks for All State

Posted by RedandWhite on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 10:34 AM:

Since it is getting close to playoffs who do you guys think is already a lock for the all state team this year? For us, I think Landon Stricklin and Malik Monroe are going to be all-state.

Replies (24)

• Nobody. Injuries can be a real stat killer.

-- Posted by ThadCastle on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 12:05 PM
  • Without thinking about what injuries could happen. Not going to pessimistic and even bring up the possibility of injuries. Guess I should have used a different word than "lock" because it was took so literally. What I'm wondering is who has impressed you most from your team, or even other teams, and who you think is worthy of all state awards? I don't think it's too early to think about, the season is halfway over.

-- Posted by RedandWhite on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 12:29 PM
  • It think this discussion is a bit premature. So much depends on what a player does in districts and playoffs. All-conference is a better discussion right now and I would say the two players named above are locks for that team.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 12:34 PM
  • So too early to talk about individual awards but not too early to make predictions for state. Okay noted. Guess I have to check the semo football handbook and look when its okay for me to discuss individuals. You realize that some teams are already out of the race right? that some players only have the next couple days and individual awards to look forward to. We talk about Heisman and awards all year in other levels. don't know why its not suitable for this. Anyway, Stricklin makes it for sure on C'ville. Probably Monroe too

-- Posted by RedandWhite on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 12:57 PM
  • next couple games* not days

-- Posted by RedandWhite on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 12:57 PM
  • Redandwhite,

What do you mean some teams are already out of the race? You do realize that high school football went to a playoff format? Everyone is still alive.

-- Posted by Redsandguy on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 1:40 PM
  • T-E-A-M first.

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 1:51 PM
  • I'd really hope we wouldn't scrutinize players saying "Well with this poor performance tonight against Cape Central, so-and-so lost his chance at getting all state." It's not suitable because it's high school football. It's not suitable because high school sports are about teamwork and teaching life lessons. Worrying about individual awards is one of the things that makes you lose in the playoffs.

-- Posted by ThadCastle on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 1:54 PM
  • If C-Ville's Landon Stricklin is a "for sure" All-State pick, then Malden's guard Omar Bailey should be an unquestioned pick as well. In Week 2's Malden vs. C-Ville matchup, Bailey dominated Stricklin.

-- Posted by JustTalkinSEMO on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 3:20 PM
  • If C-Ville's Landon Stricklin is a "for sure" All-State pick, then Malden's guard Omar Bailey should be an unquestioned pick as well. In Week 2's Malden vs. C-Ville matchup, Bailey dominated Stricklin.

-- Posted by JustTalkinSEMO on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 3:23 PM
  • Redsandguy - I'm pretty ignorant to the new rules. Just moved back into the area the last few years and it seems they are always changing the format. I thought the top 2 teams from each district went? I'm sure I'm wrong. I understand it's a team game and sport, and I'm by no means trying to give these kids a big head. Was just doing it out of boredom and for the sake of doing it.

JustTalkinSEMO - Stricklin was all state last year and has played really solid this year. The Malden game Stricklin was hurt. Is Bailey the real big kid they have on the line? If so,I will give that kid from Malden credit, and have praised him on another thread on here but couldn't remember his name. Dremond Robinson and Cortez Dobbins are really good to. As well as a few guys on the defense. I think if they meet up again that Stricklin would be healthy and it would be a much better matchup, individually and a much more competitive game for the teams. I'm assuming you are from Malden JustTalkinSEMO? No disrespect.. you guys have a great team and really hoping we get another shot at you guys.

-- Posted by RedandWhite on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 3:35 PM
  • Nope. All team playoff system. It's a district tournament. Go to mshsaa's website and take a look.

-- Posted by ThadCastle on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 3:40 PM
  • Welcome back RedandWhite!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 3:44 PM

Bridges and Bess from Central Rebels for sure.

-- Posted by Football4me on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 4:33 PM
  • Thank you Preach! Sure missed being around here. I had been out of the area since the early 2000s. My last game getting to watch in SEMO was Centralia against our Tigers. Boy was Centralia stacked that year. Memories of Jimmy Jackson, Adam Cecil, Aleric Mullins, and can't forget about William Moore from Hayti. Miss those days but good to see the success continue for teams around here.

-- Posted by RedandWhite on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 4:44 PM
  • Agreed on Bridges and Bess for the Rebels but also think that Mayberry, Harlow and Manion have a good shot as well. Depends how far the Rebels get in the playoffs.

-- Posted by Fballisfinallyhere on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 6:24 PM
  • Yes Bailey is the big one - 6'4" 340 lbs. I'm not saying Stricklin shouldn't be All-State, I'm just saying that Bailey is just as deserving if so. No, I'm from the Malden area though. I enjoy all of SEMO football!

-- Posted by JustTalkinSEMO on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 10:18 PM
  • Yes Bailey is the big one - 6'4" 340 lbs. I'm not saying Stricklin shouldn't be All-State, I'm just saying that Bailey is just as deserving if so. No, I'm from the Malden area though. I enjoy all of SEMO football!

-- Posted by JustTalkinSEMO on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 10:19 PM

baseballer1 I agree, I started out with Harlow, Manion and Mayberry as choices also but I wasn't sure if one team would get that many selected. But I agree completley.

-- Posted by Football4me on Sat, Oct 4, 2014, at 7:06 AM
  • Strickland was hurt in the Malden game? From his twitter account it seemed as if it was cramps that sidelined him. He seemed very much out of shape, not injured from my view.

-- Posted by Baller02 on Sat, Oct 4, 2014, at 7:16 PM
  • Omar bailey guard

Kc Clark DT

Nick Thomson LB

Javiel cooper DT

Dremond Robinson RB

-- Posted by Green&GoldNation on Sat, Oct 4, 2014, at 8:56 PM
  • Omar bailey guard

Kc Clark DT

Nick Thomson LB

Javiel cooper DT

Dremond Robinson RB

-- Posted by Green&GoldNation on Sat, Oct 4, 2014, at 8:57 PM
  • JustTalkinSemo - Knowing who you are talking about, I have to agree. The Bailey kid is real good. I was impressed with him, as well as Malden's line on both sides of the ball. How well did the Bailey kid do last year? I couldn't remember his number or name, but yes Bailey is a good size kid, and looks very strong with some deceptive speed.Really hoping the Tigers can get on track and we can get that rematch. Would love to see a full game of Monroe & Stricklin vs Bailey & Malden's OLine.

Baller02 - I stand corrected and youre right I remember them saying it was indeed cramps. I just remember him being out for most of the game and had forgot about the cramps, and just assumed injury. Stricklin has done a good job and looks in much better shape the more the season progresses.

Green&GoldNation - I hadn't heard a lot about Cooper and Thomson, but I know that both interior defensive linemen for malden play well. I think they all have a good possibility if they continue to play well and go deep in the playoffs. I also like the Dobbins kid you guys have. Maybe not for all state but the kid made some plays against us.

-- Posted by RedandWhite on Sat, Oct 4, 2014, at 9:54 PM
  • RedandWhite , actually Bailey hasn't really played that much in his past 3 years with the Greenwave. Grades and injuries I think have been the cause of that. In fact, his first game back was the District title game last year at C-Ville. Coaches and players say that he's matured a ton over the past year and is practically a different kid this year. Expect him to continue to do big things for Malden this year.

-- Posted by JustTalkinSEMO on Sun, Oct 5, 2014, at 12:20 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: