Semoball

High School Football Forum: visitor seating

Posted by LHSTiger81 on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 8:36 AM:

This is merely an inquiry as a result of viewing the football field on Google earth. There doesn't seem to be much for visitor seating at the Green Wave stadium. Has there been any steps taken to address this? Besides the tour buses full of fans that will be coming, there will be plenty of people driving down on their own.

4. Bleachers with strong understructure (recommend masonry or steel) with footboards and properly maintained for both visitor and home fans.

5. Seating Capacity: Class 2 - 1300

12. If spectator bleachers are available on only one side of the field, the visitors may have the option to be placed on the side away from the spectator bleachers. Additional security may be needed to assist in keeping spectators away from the bench areas. The request for special arrangements shall be made at least 48 hours in advance.

Replies (41)

• Visitor seating is plentiful for this area I'd have to say. They may be bringing in additional stands to accommodate the potential amount of visitor fans in this game. Not for sure but may be a possibilty.

-- Posted by Moose76 on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 9:30 AM

You Westsiders can sit on a tack! :-)

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 9:42 AM

From the Google street view, visitors stands might be able to get,,, 100 people in them?? Plentiful?? Not that a couple of people on a chat board could do anything about it, I'm just curious.

-- Posted by LHSTiger81 on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 10:03 AM

LHS, it might be worth it to talk to your AD and have him talk to Malden's. I'm sure Malden would do their best to accomodate you all if they had an idea of the numbers you all will be bringing.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 10:27 AM
  • Straightouttacharleston,

You're about as "westsider" as it gets.

Not sure why you're so interested in pitiful Class 2 football on Missouri, figured you'd be filling us in on the going ons of De LA Salle and Mater Dei...because anyone in Missouri cares about such things.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 10:31 AM

I was wondering about this. I plan on going to the game, but there will likely be a ton of people travel that are not a fan of either side (like myself). Just hate to make the drive and not be able to see the game!

-- Posted by Lippy Radeck on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 11:15 AM
  • LHS. Plentiful was used to describe that's it's sufficient for the area here. Meaning most all games outside of this magnitude. So I'm sure " plentiful" in your terms isn't good enough to you but it's been good enough for the area. Take it how u want to. Just bring chairs if your that concerned.

-- Posted by Moose76 on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 11:23 AM
  • They should remove all vistor stands just to make lhstiger81 stand!!

-- Posted by ESPN05 on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 11:39 AM

MSHSAA says for a Class 2 playoff game, that the facility should seat 1300 to be deemed "adequate." Doesn't say if there are exceptions in different areas or not.

I don't really even need to sit down, but I would at least like to be able to stand somewhere and see.

-- Posted by Lippy Radeck on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 11:42 AM
  • Tell your radio folks to be working their quads and hamstrings. Its a nice little walk up the stairs to the booth. :)

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 12:05 PM

LHSTiger81, there's probably space to seat about 150 on the visitors side. I know that's not a lot, but as previously stated rarely is that not enough for visiting teams coming to Malden. I am sure they can bring in a few extra sets of bleachers. There is plenty of space on that side of the field to accommodate additional stands. They can even place stands on the end zone if need be. Plenty of space out there.

Lippy, there's a ton of people that love to stand and watch the game from the cable that secures the field from fans. Have at it! I'm sure they'll make room for you to slide up in there and get a peek!

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 12:12 PM
  • Definitely the visitor stands only seat 100-150 at most. On the home side they let fans sit and stand almost on the sidelines near the 20yd lines and down to the endzone on both ends of field. Perhaps theyll allow that on visitor side as well.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 1:21 PM

Thanks, JSTT. Now that you say that, I do remember that about the cable.

-- Posted by Lippy Radeck on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 1:29 PM
  • Bring recliners or chairs or stand. Would u like us to give yoll heaters if it's to cold give us a break. Last week we went to cardinal Ritter an they only had enuff for about 100 at the most. Like they told us bring chair's an stay on yoll side.

-- Posted by Green&GoldNation on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 1:41 PM
  • Tiger from what I've heard visitors will be sitting in the swamp

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 1:47 PM
  • I think he was looking at what MSHSSA guidlines say are required to host a playoff game. Although I have never heard of those rules being enforced.

Probably will be plenty of seats on the Home side after first half.

-- Posted by Mithrandir on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 1:48 PM
  • Please don't take offense to LHS81 asking the question. Just a little background - we (Lamar) have been to visiting stadiums the past several years where visitors seating was minimal and the host school has brought in additional seating. This was much appreciated. I am confident you will be impressed by the number of Lamar fans that make the 300 mile trip to support our team. We look forward to visiting your town and aren't asking for anything special just would like to be able to plan ahead.

-- Posted by Jarrell Bashore on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 2:20 PM
  • Is that the real Jarrell Bashore !

-- Posted by Mithrandir on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 2:28 PM
  • Some of ya sound a little rude to Lamar fans. When ya were going to Cardinal Ritter I had posted that their visitor side was small and you might want to bring chairs. Be nice!

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 2:30 PM

Exactly, Jarrell. I was merely asking. Not trying to disrespect your field or anything. Geeez, calm down.

-- Posted by LHSTiger81 on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 2:58 PM
  • You've got to understand, Malden fans have been told since about week 7 that it didn't matter what they did, their season would end when they played Lamar. Excuse them for being a little touchy.

Upside, the psychological part of this battle is already won for Lamar, especially if players are as up in arms over posts on this site as their fans are.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 3:14 PM
  • there are three sections of aluminum bleachers on the visitors side of the field on raised concrete slabs. Not sure what the seating capacity is for them but compared to ritters visitor side three times as much. Any fan is allowed to sit or stand on the track as long as you dont cross inside the cable around the field. No offense taken and Greenwave will be happy to have you all at the swamp. Safe travels to your fans and players.

-- Posted by line buster on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 3:16 PM

Uh Oh!! Boogin77 is back!! Let the nonsense begin!

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 3:47 PM
  • I wasn't trying to be rude I'm just saying bring some chairs we had to do it alot this year, Malden fans travel in big numbers as well, an boggin I'm a parent not a player none of are players been on this page for this game.

-- Posted by Green&GoldNation on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 4:02 PM
  • What is the population of Lamar?

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 4:11 PM
  • The visitor bleachers were bought brand new this year so we would have a more adequate visitor section. Yall will have the whole east side of the field to stand or bring chairs. Which way you like is up to you. This is gonna be a very big event for our small little town. We welcome all the fans that want to come and cheer for the team they choose. I am expecting a packed swamp all the way around the field. If you want a seat I would

Suggest arriving early. Looking forward to watching a hard played game.

Go Greenwave baby

-- Posted by Green&goldfan on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 4:18 PM
  • School is moving 4 sets of bleachers onto the track from the baseball complex as I type

-- Posted by fooseball rocks on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 4:23 PM
  • JSTT,

You being the "smartest" guy on this board in no way increases the size of your genitals or makes you in any way important.

You throw out opinion, just like every one else, and get butt hurt when people disagree with you.

Grow up.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 4:46 PM

Boogin, now I am even more concerned about you! Why would another grown man be discussing MY genitals! Come on! Keep it clean! You came to this thread looking for trouble. Now you grow up! That's no way for an adult to talk on a sports forum.

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 4:54 PM

I thought the Malden visitor bleachers looked new when I went to the game this year. The bleachers last year were SKETCHY. I thought I was going to fall through that wood.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 5:16 PM
  • Ok bud, you can be the coolest guy on semoball if it makes you feel important.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 5:45 PM
  • Dexter Native...to answer your question.

The population of Lamar is around 4,500 and our county is 12,275 (three other school districts in the county...Liberal and Golden City). Lamar is the county seat and largest city in the county.

Up until 2007 we were an employment center for our area. In 2007, O'Sullivan Furniture closed and we lost an employer that at one time employed as many as 2,400 people. Now, we are more of a "bedroom community" to surrounding towns including Carthage, Pittsburg (ks) and Joplin. We are fortunate we still have some good employers in our town and are blessed with a significant amount of agriculture in the area.

As you can imagine, it hasn't been all roses since 2007. But, people around here have been resilient and are working through the tough times. I firmly believe the success of our football program has been a spark to help us through these times. Additionally, the success of the football team has spread throughout our school district...unreal participation in nearly all extracurricular activities and success in other sports including multiple state championships in cross country and track. Not to boast but the question is posed frequently from opponents -- how does a class 2 school get 72 players on football team, at least a dozen cheerleaders and 60 members in the band?

This is a great article written several years ago about our town....which as you can tell I am proud. We look forward to visiting your town and meeting your people.

http://www.stry.us/stories/the-factory-town-that-lost-its-factory/

-- Posted by Jarrell Bashore on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 6:23 PM
  • Everyone in Lamar has ties to the former O'Sullivan Industries employer one way or another. Even our stadium is named after the founder Thomas M. O'Sullivan.

The O is one of the best grass fields in the state. I truly believe the factories failure only made families hungrier for success on and off the field. I know it did me being a former employee for 17 years.

-- Posted by Arcola on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 7:22 PM
  • MSHSAA will assume that all of their facility requirments are met as listed on their website. They will have an official at the game. If they're not met they will probably do a pre-inspection for any future playoff games.

I looked on the Lamar Tiger Brotherhood facebook page at their visitor stands and it looks like they hold at least 500 people.

-- Posted by l_Pete_l on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 7:53 PM
  • Sooooo.....Lamar has one of the best grass fields in the state eh? So playing at The Swamp may be to the Green Wave's advantage in more ways than one! LOL

A couple years ago someone accidently Round-up'd the whole field thinking they were spraying something different. The view from Google earth was horrific! Lotta dust flying that year! Haha (we laugh about it now). They've been trying to get the field back into shape even planting new grass across the center of the field, but the grass was a different variety than the Bermuda already established and it went dormant about 3 weeks ago. So now it looks like a giant brown football across the center. Just need to paint some laces on it.... haha but yes, if it rains on Friday we may have a mud bowl on Saturday! In my opinion I hope it rains all weekend......the Green Wave don't lose in the rain ;)

-- Posted by fooseball rocks on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 7:56 PM
  • BTW LHSTiger81, you don't have to view the seating from Google Earth, you can see it on the Malden Green Wave Football Facebook page. Not much there in view of Lamar's visitor bleachers. Side note--that's a Walmart directly behind the visitor's bleachers.

-- Posted by l_Pete_l on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 8:19 PM
  • The school is making efforts to provide extra seating for the game. As of this morning, two sections of bleachers had been brought over from the baseball field. I would assume there may be more before Saturday but don't know that for sure. Since many will be traveling via bus, the ones driving should probably throw a chair in.

-- Posted by #ProudMom on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 1:51 PM
  • LHSTiger81, the actual seating capacity of the new Visitor bleachers is close to 400, but I'm sure that the folks would be crammed together. And the school is planning on moving a total of 4 sets of bleachers from the baseball/softball complex to provide additional seating as well. Gates will open at 11:00a.m. Also, the concession stand and restroom will be in the large concrete building at the south end of the field. Please be patient and understanding, as we are not used to hosting games of this magnitude. I, personally, think it will be an honor to host the 3 time state champs at our facility. I look forward to a great game!! Safe travels to all you guys!

-- Posted by ROLLWAVE on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 2:45 PM
  • We look forward to your hospitality.

-- Posted by Jarrell Bashore on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 2:46 PM

We understand the logistics of these types of games and I didn't mean to imply that you all were not addressing it. Honestly, I was merely inquiring. Now, if you could do something about the chance of rain,,,,,. Purely selfish. I'd just rather enjoy a good football game without getting wet.

-- Posted by LHSTiger81 on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 3:16 PM
  • They are bring in extra bleachers in Lamar fans. See yoll saturday.

-- Posted by Green&GoldNation on Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 7:00 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: