Semoball

Other High School Sports Forum: Names and sports

Posted by Cully Bryant on Fri, Mar 12, 2010, at 6:46 PM:

In an effort to start a thread that won't lead to petty arguments and possible fisticuffs, I want to talk about NAMES. We've all heard the old saying, "never play cards against a guy named after a city." I think the same could be said about sport. If you find yourself pitted against a foe who's name you can't pronounce, and can't even begin to spell, you're probably in for a tough time. I've come to the conclusion that if you own or coach a sports team and have the ability to select your players, your odds of winning are inversely proportional to the number of times your individual players' names appear in the U.S. census. Let's look at a few examples of some of the best athletes in the area over the past few years: We've got JuQualin, Nuquavious, Kony, G'Darius, Courvoisier, Deonte, Keke, Kendrickus, etc. I want to know your thoughts on this. What names am I leaving out? Am I wrong? If my theory is correct, how can you account for the heroic feats of those with such simple monikers as: Bobby, Otto, Fred, Eli? Is there something about an extraordinarily creative name that lends superhuman athletic prowess on its owner? I think I may name my next child Lacequavion - then begin planning my luxury retirement.

Replies (2)

I agree

-- Posted by AMRCSTC on Wed, Dec 18, 2013, at 9:13 AM
  • I would put forth the argument that private school kids have an unfair advantage when being named by their parents, as opposed to public school kids names.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Dec 18, 2013, at 9:40 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: